USMNT vs. Czech Republic: SBI Live Commentary

USACzechRepublicLogos

The U.S. Men’s National Team will play their first match since the World Cup today in Prague, when they take on the Czech Republic (2pm, NBC Sports/UniMas).

Jurgen Klinsmann has called in a young team to kick off a new cycle, though the starting lineup being trotted out is made up mostly of familiar faces to USMNT fans.

SBI will be providing live commentary on today’s match, so please feel free to follow the action here. As always, you are welcome to share your own thoughts and opinions in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action (Today’s commentary is after the jump):

Live Blog USA vs. Czech Republic: SBI Live Commentary

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

67 Responses to USMNT vs. Czech Republic: SBI Live Commentary

1. Vic says:

Very skilled lineup, should be exciting. Not much def cover with no real def midfield.

2. Byrdman says:

Agree with VIC, not much bit in the midfield. I am excited to see us try to continue making steps toward playing a more aggressive game offensively. We will probably give up a few but maybe we will score one more. Looking forward to it.

3. Wood chip zip says:

what a nice job on USA national anthem. I’m touched.

4. Gabe says:

As much as I want to see Emerson play, I think it is wise that Klinsmann not start him here. If we throw too much too fast at him it might actually hurt him as opposed to helping him. That said, I’ve been very impressed with the opportunities he’s seized at Fulham thus far. Great control, a nice touch, and tidy in possession with great composure. If he continues to develop, he could be a special player.

5. Clyde Frog says:

Only Timmy Chandler (and maybe Guzan) singing the national anthem. I guess the patriotism police will scold the others for not being more like Timmy?

6. SBI TroII says:

Jurgen Klinsmann: “USA’s aim is to reach World Cup semifinal in 2018″

Interesting goal. We’re gonna need a lot more players playing well in top European sides for that to happen. Story is on ProSoccerTalk on NBC. I guess it starts now.

• Raymon says:

At the rate things are going, most UEFA teams and some CONCACAF may boycott Russia WC. Remember the fiascos of Olympics 1980 and 1984?

7. Gabe says:

Look at the touch on John Anthony Brooks. Very impressive, especially under pressure. Kid is a physical specimen and I have to say that I understand the hype.

• Increase0 says:

If he learns to use his size, he will be excellent. I think i know the moment you are talking about. That ball was rocketet at him. The control of it looked tough.

8. CamRahn Bay says:

I don’t think I could be more pumped to see these 3 forwards play together!

After stumbling around the International soccer desert for a month and a half, it’s nice to get a sip of water, isn’t it?

• Gabe says:

I am impressed by Julian Green’s work rate. Tracking back and always helping Chandler in defense. We all know what he offers going forward, and it would be normal to see a young kid so highly-rated as he is sort of dog back and slack off a bit, but it is encouraging to see that this is not the case.

9. Increase0 says:

Green has stripped the cech winger of the ball a few times. Thats something we havent seen before. He doesnt look soft at all today.

10. Increase0 says:

Better cross or better touch from Corona and thats a good scoring chance.

11. Paul says:

The wingers and Mix are playing so deep it looks to be effectively a 4-1-4-1, regardless what the lineup sheet says.

12. Gabe says:

Look at the pace on Gyau. Good lord…

13. Increase0 says:

Looked like a pen as his arm came out after it was hit but I think a no call is fair.

14. nick says:

yikes julian, cant be doing that

15. Brett says:

I feel like any time a ball comes in toward Jozy’s head it’s like a Hail Mary pass in handegg.

• Increase0 says:

In the box ya, a bit. Jozy is pretty good about winning midfield headers and lay off the ball to a runner.

16. Brett says:

Slop goal, but we will take it!

17. Paul6 says:

Very unimpressed by Green. Very impressed by Gyau.

18. Scott e Dio93 says:

Green seem lacks soccer IQ on corners and did horrible on that give way.

Gyau, seems to know how to use physique against thCzechs.

• Luke says:

Gyau’s defense seems lacking. Both saves Rimando made are a direct result of his defensive liabilities, first one he held the Czech forward onside, the second he got caught ball watching and reacted late.

19. Increase0 says:

Oh that is just unacceptable. You all know what im talking about.

20. JayAre says:

I thought we were going to lose this game badly. I thought Czech Republic was good. But I’m impressed with Hydman

21. Luke says:

2nd half looks like the Ghana game all over again! Passing is crap.

22. THomas says:

This has been very entertaining

23. Vinniejonestownmassacre says:

Shea looked like my 88 Volvo with a broke has guage there trying to fume glide into a gas station.

24. Dunno says:

Jozy is really just not that good

• Increase0 says:

His hold up play was great first half. I didnt see a single proper through ball to Jozy. Jozy also dropped crazy deep to pick up the ball and get the winger up field. He did his job and did it well. Second half offence didnt exist and there really isnt much to say.

• JayAre says:

This is true. I’ve always had the feeling that if Agudelo got it together and play consistently on a club level he’d overtake Jozy. I tried making excuses for him for over a year and I’ve come to accept it.

• Fair Observer says:

i believe it to be “overpatience”. Jozy is talented yet plays the safe role and waits for a certain sophisticated ground through ball that he wants so he can take first or second touch shot. He doesnt get many of those balls unless MB, LD or Duece are in a position to play that which they have plenty and vice versa. the first half he was active and involved, directing the attack at times with switches like a captain should. second half was just a clinging mess; no real analysis needed

25. slowleftarm says:

Didn’t see the whole game but looked like a decent performance for 65-70 minutes, then holding on for dear life. Given the number of inexperienced guys we had out there, I thought it was pretty solid. Definitely impressed by Gyau, and Brooks was good. One down, about 60-70 more to go before we kick things off in Russia. As always, should be fun.

• JayAre says:

Brooks is playing like the CB of the future. I like the way he pushes the ball forward and turns defense to offense.

26. Jack says:

We might have to hold on to Zusi, if for no other reason then no one else can put a ball into the box.

• DB says:

At the end of the day, that’s my #1 reason for why Donovan should have been taken to Brazil.

Water under the bridge though…

27. beto says:

good stuff by the team today. solid team play, consistent defending and good enough passing in the attack. a lot of good young players and plenty of opportunities for them.

hopefully Mix moves up this winter; he should be a starter in the Bundesliga by now.

wish there was a second game this break.. thanks MLS.. jk. this game was a good test for the whole team.

28. Sportsnutty says:

A comment on Brek Shea – doesn’t being a one-trick-pony require you to EVER complete that one trick?

29. Mike R says:

A pity Gyau is apparently not rated by his club. Should make a move to second division Spain or first division France

• Francois says:

Gyau actaully is valued by Dortmund, as Klopp thinks he can break into the top squad by seasons end. Check around for comments about Gyau at Dortmund, Apparently he has been one of the best players for Dortmund II.

• scweeb says:

He played for the first team all preseason and if the MIGHTY Dortmund get any injuries during Champions he will get called up. PLUS its Dortmund he is playing for so he is getting awesome experience and training.

30. Raymon says:

How can you guys watch this live on a work/school day? On the dl? I have to wait until after I get home to watch the DVR. Share some tricks to watch at work/school.

31. Atletico Man says:

I didn’t see the whole game. How was Morales? The bit I saw looked ok, and I liked his spirit.

• Gary Page says:

He didn’t play enough or get enough time on the ball to allow one to make a decent judgment. He didn’t make any noticeable mistakes nor distinguish himself.

32. MLS_Soccer_Talker says:

Brek ..heheh… whats he up to these days?