By FRANCO PANIZO
Just before departing for their first U.S. Men’s National Team camp, teenagers Rubio Rubin and Emerson Hyndman returned to their respective clubs’ lineups.
Rubin and Hyndman both earned starts this past weekend after failing to dress in recent games, with the former playing 57 minutes in a 3-1 loss to Heerenveen and the latter going the distance in a 1-1 draw with Cardiff City. The two attackers will now head into their inaugural U.S. camp with plenty of confidence, as they attempt to make their international debut in Wednesday’s friendly vs. the Czech Republic in Prague.
Another youngster to make an appearance this weekend was John Brooks. The 21-year-old centerback earned his first start of the Bundesliga season on Saturday, going the distance in Hertha Berlin’s 4-2 loss to Bayer Leverkusen. The match was Brooks’ first competitive match since he came off the bench and scored the late winner for the U.S. in its World Cup opening win vs. Ghana back in June.
Timmy Chandler also made his debut this weekend, playing in his first game since rejoining Eintracht Frankfurt earlier this summer. The versatile fullback came off the bench and played 34 minutes for his childhood club in a 2-2 draw against VfL Wolfsburg, a brief cameo before he joins the U.S. for its first post-World Cup camp.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes, made three saves and received a yellow card in Everton’s 6-3 loss vs. Chelsea on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore came off the bench and played eight minutes in Sunderland’s 1-0 loss vs. Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes, made two saves and received a yellow card in Aston Villa’s 2-1 win vs. Hull City on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham Hotspur’s 3-0 loss vs. Liverpool on Sunday.
- Geoff Cameron did not dress in Stoke City’s 1-0 win vs. Manchester City on Saturday. He is recovering from an abdominal injury.
- Brek Shea did not dress for Stoke City.
- Cody Cropper did not dress in Southampton’s 3-1 win vs. West Ham United on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 4-0 loss vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 1-0 loss vs. Leeds United on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj started and played 90 minutes in Nottingham Forest’s 1-0 win vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
- Danny Williams did not dress in Reading’s 1-0 win vs. Middlesbrough on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Emerson Hyndman started and played 90 minutes in Fulham’s 1-1 draw vs. Cardiff City on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread dressed but did not play in Derby County’s 1-1 draw vs. Ipswich Town on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson came off the bench and played 15 minutes in Borussia Moenchengladbach’s 0-0 draw vs. SC Freiburg on Sunday.
- John Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 4-2 loss vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.
- Timmy Chandler came off the bench and played 34 minutes in Eintracht Franfkurt’s 2-2 draw vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Saturday.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen’s 4-2 win vs. Hertha Berlin on Saturday.
- Julian Green did not dress Bayern Munich’s 1-1 draw vs. Schalke 04 on Saturday.
- Alfredo Morales started, played 90 minutes, received a yellow card and had TWO ASSISTS in FC Ingolstadt 04′s 3-0 win vs. SV Sandhausen on Sunday.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in RB Leipzig’s 0-0 draw vs. FSV Frankfurt on Friday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Bobby Wood started and played 76 minutes in TSV 1860 Munich’s 1-1 draw vs. SV Darmstadt 98 on Sunday.
- Andrew Wooten started and played 45 minutes in SV Sandhausen’s 3-0 loss vs. FC Ingolstadt 04 on Sunday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 82 minutes in FC Nantes’ 1-0 win vs. Montpellier on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson did not dress in AZ Alkmaar’s 3-1 win vs. Dordrecht ’90 on Saturday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Rubio Rubin started and played 57 minutes in FC Utrecht’s 3-1 loss vs. Heerenveen on Saturday.
- Sacha Kljestan came off the bench, played 26 minutes and received a yellow card in RSC Anderlecht’s 2-2 draw vs. Club Brugge on Sunday.
- Conor O’Brien started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Magna Wiener Neustadt’s 1-0 win vs. Wolfsberger AC on Saturday.
- Mix Diskerud started and played 90 minutes in Rosenborg BK’s 2-1 win vs. Viking on Sunday.
- Andrew Jacobson started and played 90 minutes in Stabaek IF’s 1-1 draw vs. Sandnes Ulf on Sunday.
- Michael Stephens started and played 90 minutes for Stabaek IF.
- Ethan Horvath did not dress in Molde FK’s 1-0 win vs. Brann on Sunday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress for Molde FK. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zarek Valentin did not dress in FK Bodo/Glimt’s 4-3 win vs. Valerenga on Saturday. He is recovering from an Achilles injury.
- Jeb Brovsky started and played 69 minutes in Stromsgodset’s 2-0 loss vs. Aalesund on Saturday.
- Freddy Adu did not play in FK Jagodina’s 3-2 loss vs. Vojvodina on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 3-2 win vs. Morelia on Saturday.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes card in Atlas’ 1-1 draw vs. Santos Laguna on Saturday.
- Jose Torres came off the bench and played 37 minutes in Tigres UANL’s 2-0 loss vs. Jaguares de Chiapas on Saturday.
- Herculez Gomez did not dress for Tigres UANL.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America’s 1-0 loss vs. Pumas UNAM on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Queretaro’s 1-0 loss vs. Monterrey on Friday.
- Joe Corona started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 1-1 draw vs. Universidad de Guadalajara on Friday.
- Greg Garza started and played 90 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Paul Arriola came off the bench and played 18 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Alejandro Guido dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Amando Moreno did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Fernando Arce Jr did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Joaquin Alonso Hernandez came off the bench and played 16 minutes in Monterrey’s 1-0 win vs. Queretaro on Friday.
- Gabriel Farfan did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 2-0 win vs. Tigres UANL on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Impressed with Rubin and Hyndman’s showings this weekend? Think Brooks will continue to get starts at Hertha Berlin in the coming weeks?
Share your thoughts below.