By FRANCO PANIZO
Geoff Cameron had to wait a bit to earn his first start of the new season, and it definitely did not go as planned.
Cameron made his first appearance in Stoke City’s Capital One Cup clash with Portsmouth on Wednesday, but lasted just 38 minutes in the 3-0 win after picking up an abdominal strain. The injury while minor will sideline the versatile veteran for two weeks, meaning he will be unable to finalize a move before the summer transfer window closes and will miss the U.S. Men’s National Team’s upcoming friendly vs. the Czech Republic.
It has been heavily reported that Cameron, 29, would switch clubs this summer. A regular starter for the Potters the past two seasons, Cameron has yet to appear in a league match this campaign.
Another American to receive his first start of the new year was Jozy Altidore. Leading the front line for Sunderland, Altidore played the full 90 minutes in a 3-0 triumph vs. Birmingham City. The veteran striker played a part in helping create the second goal, taking a hard shot across his body that was parried but knocked in by teammate Adam Johnson.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed on Wednesday:
- Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa’s 1-0 loss vs. Leyton Orient in the Capital One Cup.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 90 minutes in Sunderland’s 3-0 win vs. Birmingham City in the Capital One Cup.
- Jonathan Spector came off the bench and played 57 minutes in Birmingham City’s 3-0 loss vs. Sunderland in the Capital One Cup.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 38 minutes in Stoke City’s 3-0 win vs. Portsmouth in the Capital One Cup.
- Brek Shea did not dress for Stoke City.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen’s 4-0 win (7-2 aggregate win) vs. FC Copenhagen in the UEFA Champions League.
- Edgar Castillo did not dress in Atlas’ 1-0 win vs. Mineros de Zacatecas in Copa MX.
- Jose Torres started and played 90 minutes in Tigres UANL’s 1-0 loss vs. Irapuato in Copa MX.
- Herculez Gomez started and played 90 minutes for Tigres UANL.
- Gabriel Farfan did not dress in Jaguares de Chiapas’ 2-0 loss vs. Oaxaca in Copa MX.
What do you think of these performances? How worried are you that Cameron’s injury could prevent him from making a transfer? Encouraged by Altidore’s start?
Share your thoughts below.