World Cup Day 2: Your Running Commentary

ArjenRobbenNetherlands1-Spain2010WorldCupFinal (Getty)

By RYAN TOLMICH

While Thursday’s opener officially kicked off the tournament, Day 2 of the World Cup is when the fun truly begins. With a slate of three games on the docket, Friday’s lineup boasts the first full day of World Cup action.

The day’s action will start off with a Group A clash between Mexico and Cameroon in a matchup that will be key for a pair of teams jockeying for position behind yesterday’s winner, Brazil. Both teams limped through qualifying, but Friday’s contest gives both teams a chance to erase any memories of frustration by providing their supporters with three crucial points.

The second contest is the day’s headliner, as defending champion Spain takes on the Netherlands in a rematch of the 2010 final. Friday’s game is a first in the tournament’s long history, as prior to this contest, there had never been a Group Stage rematch between the last tournament’s finalists. While both sides will be gunning for early points, the 2010 tournament proved that it is possible to succeed after stumbling out of the gate, as Spain became the World Cup’s first team to win it all after losing its opening game.

The day’s action will conclude with the other two teams in Group B, Chile and Australia. The two sides will surely have their backs against the wall in their contests with Spain and the Netherlands, so Friday’s opener will be crucial if either team has hopes of reaching the knockout stages.

If you will be watching today’s matches, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions and some play-by-play in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action (TV listings after the jump):

TODAY’S WORLD CUP SOCCER ON TV

11:30am – Mexico vs. Cameroon – ESPN2

2:30pm – Spain vs. Netherlands – ESPN

5:30pm – Chile vs. Australia – ESPN2

This entry was posted in FIFA World Cup, International Soccer, World Cup 2014, Your Running Commentary. Bookmark the permalink.

353 Responses to World Cup Day 2: Your Running Commentary

1. Tom_in_So_IL says:

Mexico wins Dos a cero and forced to remember we beat them.

• Eurosnob says:

El Tri should have come out singing the star spangled banner with the stars with stripes wrapped around their shoulders in tribute to the country that put them through to the world cup.

2. Matt says:

there was a gif on here that someone posted showing the foul before the third goal, whered it go?

3. usaalltheway says:

Anyone hear the Mexican’s coach comments about his expectations?

I am sure everyone has an opinion, as do I, but I don’t like JK as a coach and his attitude about just getting out of our group isn’t enough. If you want it, you first have to believe it. That is a basic tenet for life, regardless of the activity.

And, who here is looking forward to Spain v Netherlands????? LET’S GO SPAIN!!!!! (Although I predict the Orange take it this time.)

• Eurosnob says:

Klinsi is simply focused at the immediate task at hand, which is surviving the group of death. He also said that if we succeed at this task than we would feel confident that we can beat anyone in the elimination rounds. I would rather have a coach with his pragmatic approach than someone who makes proclamations that his team would win the WC before playing a single game.

• beachbum says:

don’t see anywhere with people saying Jurgen should have proclaimed we were going to win the World Cup…no where. what are you talking about?

• Eurosnob says:

Look at the post to which I replied, which states: “Well, he said that he believes that can go all the way. That, to my hears, sounds better than JK’s comments.” “Go all the way” is an equivalent of winning it all.

• beachbum says:

he said he believes they can go all the way, he did not proclaim they would. totally different. that’s the point

• Eurosnob says:

Well, if that’s the point, then you should also give a break to Klinsmann, because he did not say “cannot.” Here’s what he said: “Every game is the next step to a bigger goal. We are not shying away from anybody, but first we’ve got to make it through the group. So let’s stay with our feet on the ground and say ‘Let’s get that group first done.’ Then the sky is the limit. But before…to say that we should win the World Cup, that’s just not realistic.”

• beachbum says:

NYTimes article a little different.

I have already said I appreciated his amended comments recently.

you have convinced me of nothing to your original point

4. Fredo says:

Hard to root for MEX, but I guess I have to support CONCACAF. And, the hundred EL TRI fans in here will kill me if I actively root for Cameroon.

• Wood Chip Zip says:

I would like to cheer for our CONCACAF neighbors to the south, but when Rafa Marquez is in the starting XI, I just can’t.

• Vlad says:

Id never be caught dead rooting for Mexico. I dont care that they are concacaf. The way they treat our players and fans is disgusting. They deserve absolutely 0 respect from me

• beachbum says:

I’m with you

• Patrick2 says:

Well, disrespect is as two way street. I am pasty white, and speak both English and Spanish with zero Accent. My mother doesn’t. I definitely ball my hands up in a fist when I think of some of the racists ways she’s been treated when she’s been in the States.

• beachbum says:

no arguments there, but we’re talking about Mexican soccer and their fans and how they treat US soccer. different discussion seems to me, but we’re all entitled to our opinions.

• Wood chip zip says:

Been to every Mexico vs USA games in Columbus, OH and the Mexican fans were as classy as they get. I know there have been issues in So Cal but perhaps that has more to do with stuff other than soccer

• John says:

Been to three Gold Cup finals and games both in Columbus and Azteca and frankly I’m not sure what these guys are talking about.

The way Mexican fans treat the US team and fans?

I don’t even know what that means.

The rivalry isn’t even that intense on the field anymore….not since guys like Hermosillo and Luis Hernandez were around.

• beachbum says:

been to numerous quails vs. Mexico over the decades. it has changed some in the states, yes, much more respectful in general because Mexico has tasted the sting of defeat and being humbled so their fans have chilled, but also depends imo

in Mexico bit of a different story, so I’m told

• Gordoninho says:

The vast majority of Mexicans will be rooting against the Stars & Stripes.

• Hogatroge says:

For the good of CONCACAF, I want both teams to advance from the group stage, but I want the US to go farther than Mexico.

5. SBI TroII says:

For anyone looking for a stream without a WatchESPN login, check out the Univision website. They stream the games for free.

6. Isaac says:

Wow. Ya know, I can’t believe that Mexico’s intro before the first match of their World Cup made it sound like they dragged their own asses to Brazil.

I don’t mean to sound entitled, I really don’t, but to not even mention it? That’s something that you’d better believe every Mexican that played in Qualifying needed to come to terms with – they did NOT deserve to go to the World Cup based on how they played. They talk about that was then, this is now, but honestly that’s as much part of their process. Getting past that fact.

• Pdid says:

Glad someone caught that piece of propaganda and revisionist history. So sad that the real story ( USA saves Mexico) is almost to ironic to be true and underscored the depth to which El Tri fell.

7. Chris says:

Sounds like the game is being played in Mexico.

8. justascienceguy says:

Mexico still does that classless chant during goal kicks even on the world’s stage? Makes it really hard to support a team that has such disrespectful fans. And no, it is not funny anymore.

9. bryan says:

Cameroon not looking all that good.

10. JayAre says:

So Cameroon has 6 players on their roster that were born outside Cameroon. Hmm guess it’s not just us.

11. Ga1atic0 says:

Mexico looks good today. Their playing very well to start off

12. justascienceguy says:

Uh oh, another controversial referee call. Great finish and very unfortunate for Dos Santos.

13. reignman says:

Mexico just got robbed, Dos Santos was level there

14. Stinky Pete says:

Who’s watching this one while at work?

15. Derrick says:

Is it me or are these commentators terrible on ESPN?

16. Duracell says:

I am hating these announcers. They are so over the top for Mexico. I feel like announcers of other countries at least pretend to remain somewhat impartial.

17. Matt Bk says:

You have to play well enough to beat your opponent, overcome the ref’s calls, and not beat yourself. It seems like a fair approach to winning. I’m happy with this rule for soccer.

18. Fredo says:

MEX’s right back just got torched, but Eto’o missed wide.

19. bryan says:

Cameroon has finally showed up to the game.

20. Jack says:

Cameroon starting to look dangerous

21. Dainja says:

Marquez just got in the way of his own teammate scoring!!! Hilarious and awesome.

22. Chris says:

What has this game come to? Thats a perfect tackle

23. Lionel Hutz says:

HAHAHAHHAAAAHA Even the pro Mexican announcers on ESPN blamed Rafa for blowing that wide open header.

24. Gordoninho says:

Rafa doesn’t trust his teammates. They’re not on his level.

25. Tony Meola says:

I guess the Singaporean’s don’t want Mexico to score in this one

26. Fredo says:

Wow. That should have counted.

• Gordoninho says:

After the deflection, Dos Santos appeared to be offside.

• Gordoninho says:

Check that, I meant Herrera was offside.

• Increase says:

Deflection doesn’t change the offside as it was deflected by the defender.

But ya, it seems they didn’t call it on the guy who put the ball in the net but rather that Herrera was involved in the play by coming back for the ball.

Still a brave call that kinda think never gets called.

27. justascienceguy says:

WOW! VERY close. That is a ballsy call

28. Duracell says:

I actually think this call was worse, as the other was borderline. It looked like it came off a Cameroon player and never touched another Mexican player. That said, I’m finding this hilarious.

• Duracell says:

That said, I also think Cameroon has two claims for a penalty during that short stretch a few minutes ago, so it’s not like this is all one way.

• justascienceguy says:

Yeah what is that announcer talking about? It came off of Cameroon. I don’t get it.

• TomG says:

Funny when it happens to El Tri. I will certainly not be laughing when these insane calls come against us. This is ridiculous.

29. TomG says:

Did not see anything to disallow that goal but I have no sound. What was the call?

• beachbum says:

offsides

• Mason says:

Offside. AR thought that the deflection in the middle came off a MEX player. Had it, the goal scorer was in offside position and would have been offside. Problem is: the deflection was from a CMR player, thus, the MEX player couldn’t be offside since the ball was last played by a MEX player on a CK.

30. Mason says:

As an American, I must say: MEX got jobbed on that offside call. The deflection was off of a CMR defender which means that the last playing of the ball by a MEX player was when the CK.

31. JayAre says:

3 goal disallowed in 30 minutes. What’s going on in Singapore ?

32. Chris says:

I hate Mexico, but, two bad calls.

They should have two goals. And the announcers don’t seem to know it’s not offside if it deflects off the opposing team. Pretty pitiful.

• Mason says:

The ESPN crew didn’t see it initially, but eventually they did see it called it right.

To be fair: There were three heads going for the ball and it was difficult on replay to see who played it, even on replay.

• Increase says:

Ya, I heard that mexico is getting jobbed here. I think he called it for Herrera coming back to be near the ball as it was deflected and therefor was “involved” in the play but thats silly. No one would ever call that especially as he didn’t even really try to get the ball.

• Mason says:

It doesn’t matter where Herrara came from to “interfere with the play” near the deflection. That ball was played in on a CK, and by law you can’t be offside on a CK.

• Older & Wiser says:

Except that if you read the FIFA commentary (decisions of the International Board) to Law 11 (Offside) you will learn that the “gaining an unfair advantage” aspect of an offside infraction does, indeed, apply to a ball that deflects off of, as opposed to being played by, an attacker.

• Mason says:

But you can’t be offside directly off of a corner kick, which was the last time a Mexican played the ball.

• Older & Wiser says:

Fair point. Not watching the game, didn’t realize it was a corner. I was just reacting to the “deflected off a defender comment,” which, under some circumstances can result in an offside infraction.

The larger takeaway from the commentary seems to be that the officiating has been abysmal.

• Older & Wiser says:

Obviously, I meant “defender.” Thus, an attacker can be penalized for an offside infraction if he gains an unfair advantage by playing a ball that deflected off a defender where the attacker was in an offside position when the ball was originally kicked by his teammate.

O&W –
          Absolutely, but that doesn’t apply to this case.

This is what happened:
          A1 is an attacking player taking a corner.
          A2 is an attacking player at the near post.
          A3 is an attacking player 6 yards out from the far post.
          D1 is a defending player 6 yards out from the near post.

A1 takes a corner. A2 and D1 attack the ball. A3 drifts in three yards towards the near post. The ball flips off of D1 to A3. A2 does not touch the ball. A3 scores.

That’s a good goal. An offside offense can only happen if a player is in offside position when the ball is played by a teammate. The last time a teammate of A3 played the ball was when A1 played it on the CK, and by Law 11 an offside offense cannot occur directly from a corner kick.

33. Andy in Atlanta says:

Mexico should be up 2-0….

Really sad to see that in 130 minutes of World Cup football thus far…the referees are the story…

• TomG says:

More hits from the guys that brought you the World Cup in Qatar. FIFA is a 4 letter word synonymous with blatant corruption and utter incompetence of such a high order that it is indistinguishable from corruption.

• Increase says:

Well if they would allow someone other than Brazil to score maybe we would talk about something else but no…. no goals allowed.

• Duracell says:

Probably 2-1, as CMR deserved a penalty. First for a takedown in the box, then a blatant handball in the box that occurred shortly after.

• Increase says:

From the other side it does look like much but I will say that the original shot made it look like a pen.

34. Chris says:

No wonder people are protesting. They spent all that money and the stadiums still look like sh!t

35. Chris says:

I see on twitter the USA is flying into Natal today…does that mean they are staying up there a few days before the game?

• Sharkbait says:

I thought I read something a while back that stated that teams must arrive in town for their games 2 days in advance so there wouldn’t be the possibility of games being delayed due to travel delays between cities.

36. Tony Meola says:

They have to do something about that fan that keeps blowing the whistle when Cameroon is in the final third.

• Gordoninho says:

Good call. Some people are idiots. The timing of that whistle seems to indicate it is coming from a Cameroonian supporter.

37. Ga1atic0 says:

There’s a part of me that’s rooting for Mexico. Just because of the calls. The refs have been a joke so far and it’s only been two games.

38. Stinky Pete says:

Why are there empty seats at this game? How did this not sell out?

39. usaalltheway says:

Mexico is playing too well for my liking. I mean, they seem to have it in them to get out of the group and maybe make a run.

Those blown calls…GIVE ME A BREAK. That second one wasn’t even close. Dos Santos is an amazing player and was robbed.

Cameron looked horrible in the first half of the half but came together at the end.

Despite the officiating…I see a pattern here…this is a very good game.

40. Kingsly Alexander - Sankt Pauli says:

Refs for sale

41. Isaac says:

People really aren’t gonna leave Ian Darke alone about his pronunciation of the word controversy, are they? Even my non-soccer savvy friend I was watching the game with yesterday pointed it out.

That’s not my first time hearing it that way.

• slowleftarm says:

I don’t have the sound on but English people pronounce that word differently than we do.

• Benjamin C. says:

Yep, people from England (or the UK or any other former Commonwealth nation that speaks English) pronounce a number of words differently from Americans. Just watch anything featuring Gordon Ramsay for a few minutes and you will figure that out quickly. Heck, people within the United States pronounce words differently from each other, depending on the region. Not sure why anyone would think this is a big deal, if they in fact do.

• slowleftarm says:

I can’t imagine why anyone would care. Different accents make things more interesting anyway.

• Gordoninho says:

Correctly, is how they pronounce it, if you ask them.

42. bryan says:

and people complain about MLS/CONCACAF refs…

43. waltmagic5 says:

For as much as US fans complain about MLS referees, the Assistants in this country are by far some of the best on the planet. MLS/US Assistant Referees get those offside decisions correct 99% of the time. Both goals should have stood, but at game speed, they are very difficult to get correct. They likely don’t have many games in Singapore that require those kinds of decisions to practice. Shame they make mistakes at the highest level that potentially could lead to Mexico going home on goal difference or points that they deserved.

• Tony Meola says:

Singapore is a reference to match fixing. None of the officials for this game are from Singapore.

• waltmagic5 says:

Good point…should have researched first. Colombian officials should have plenty experience at these game speeds if they had to get through CONMEBOL qualifying. No good excuse…still very difficult call

44. The Garrincha says:

Three calls against Gang Green.
    Two good onside goals taken away,
    and if Floppy Fred gets a PK for his floundering,
    Dos Santos has a real case for a PK as well.
    Come on concacaf.

45. Kingsly Alexander - Sankt Pauli says:

Wow. No card easily a red by song. Disgusting!

• Tony Meola says:

Probably a yellow, but the argument could be made. The ref has no control on this game, you have to show some sort of card for that challenge.

46. shockedandawed says:

Double footed tackle, studs exposed right in front of the referee. Sorry mexico, no chance you win this game.

47. Mason says:

Cameroon is a bunch of hacks.

48. Tony Meola says:

Finally! Mexico deserve to be in front.

49. Mason says:

Can’t take that one away.

50. JayAre says:

Finally! There’s no way they can call that one off.

51. TomM says:

That goal remind anyone of the one LD scored against Algeria?

52. shawn says:

Booooooo Mexico and espn announcers or my I say Mexico fans

53. DB says:

Are we really surprised that Mexico is pole-axing a side that is more concerned about bonus money than the actual tournament?

• jones says:

Cameroon looked like they didn’t care to even be at the World Cup. Not much togetherness or drive – very flat.

54. kevin says:

Cameroon is the worst World Cup team I have ever seen.

• The Garrincha says:

No doubt Kev, they also look gassed out.

• slowleftarm says:

They aren’t even the worst team in this year’s cup. Certainly they’re not worse than the 2002 China squad. That’s the worst WC team I can think of.

• Mason says:

What about the DPRK in 2010?

0-0-3 with a -11 GD.

• slowleftarm says:

Yeah, they’re definitely another candidate. I don’t know why Asia gets so many spots. Sure, a lot of people live there but there aren’t many world cup level national teams.

• Mason says:

It’s really kinda funny, because AFC is basically Japan, ROK, AUS (sorta), and then filler, yet AFC is often the beneficiary of schemes to take away CONCACAF’s half spot or even a full spot. If were to give CONACAF’s playoff spot to AFC, you just let the winner of Uzbekistan and Jordan into the WCF at the expense of MEX (OFC will play COMNEBOL in the playoffs). If you give them a full spot (so 5.5 spots for AFC), the Uzbeks probably qualify automatically and Jordan plays Qatar for a shot in the IC playoff.

Lots of people… bad football.

• slowleftarm says:

And don’t get me wrong – Cameroon look bad, there’s no denying that.

55. Francois says:

Can’t stand the announcers on Mexico games, they’re such homers, completely biased. Also, can’t stand Mexico fans when they scream “ole” when they haven’t scored or created a chance like in the first half. Please Cameroon, equalize and shut them up.

56. shawn says:

Who keeps blowing that effing whistle

57. John says:

Is one of the commentators Alejandro Moreno? His voice is annoying,

58. Uncle Sam says:

Mexico benefits once again from being in a group of easy. Have they ever been in a group of death ?

• Duracell says:

I still don’t see them getting out of this group. They look to weak in the back. I think they need to put in at least one more this game if they want to have a chance at advancing, and it’s still no sure thing Cameroon doesn’t equalize here.

• John says:

Is this your first WC?

A simple google search would yield an answer.

Not to mention that aside from 2002, they’ve gotten deadly match ups in the round of 16 unlike our boys.

The homerism around here can be unbearable at times.

59. bryan says:

wow, Rafa with a clear handball in the box!

60. Ivan says:

Cameroon is 3 and out. They are pretty awful.

Referees (linesman in this case) once again taking center stage.

Japanese and Colombian officiating crews out of the World Cup immediately.

This is a horrible start to the tournament, refereeing disaster after another.

61. Chris says:

Way to much Mexican ass there. White shorts and rain no good.

62. JayAre says:

Four minutes is excessive.

63. bryan says:

LOL chicharito!

64. Jack says:

Wow what a missed sitter

• CJ says:

Actually, I’m going to agree with T.Twellman (and that almost never happens). It wasn’t a sitter. He was wide open; it was just outside the 6; but it was not a sitter.

He was running (making a good run by the way), and the service coming in hard, waist high. Keeping that down is not an easy task. That comes in three feet higher or lower, and there is no reason he shouldn’t score it.

He is just lacking form (and confidence) after sitting behind Rooney, Van Persie and Wellbeck for so long. Going through much the same thing that Jozy was. To be honest, the only three players I would worry about when they are in form are Gio, Chicharito, and Layun.

• Mason says:

It really just seemed like he didn’t know how alone he was and over-hit it. That ball really just needed to be guided on frame or taken down and slotted home.

Also.. that cross should have been to his feet.

• Gordoninho says:

If that cross came in three feet lower, it would have been under the pitch. Lol.
        Dempsey slams that in the net 99.9% of the time.

65. Mason says:

Hilarious miss by little green pea.

66. bryan says:

so this ref called two BS offside calls and missed a pretty decent PK claim for Cameroon in the first half. then ends up missing a Rafa handball in the box late in the game. nightmare game for him.

• Jack says:

The handball would have been a little harsh.

• Increase says:

I agree it was off a deflection and it wasnt like the deflection was headed right at the goal. It was just flying off somewhere that might have been the box.

• bryan says:

was it deflected? i’m referring to the shot that went straight into rafa’s raised hand inside the box. i agree it wasn’t looking like it was on target, but that is irrelevant.

• bryan says:

would it? the Cameroon guy shot the ball and Rafa had his hand up away from his side. the dude’s shot nails Rafa’s hand inside the box. it’s a PK, IMO. probably would have been harsh because Cameroon didn’t deserve to tie, but it’s just another poor example from the refs.

67. DB says:

Chicharito is phenomenal at missing from the edge of the 6…lol.

68. Chris says:

The Chicharito miss at least gave me a moment of joy. He’s trash.

69. JAB says:

Chicharito sucks so bad. He has missed liked that so much recently.

PS
    I really hate those announcers.

70. shawn says:

Lol this is th e only points Mexico will get

71. Cheese says:

Fair win by Mexico. With a different referee this game ends up 3-0 for Mexico.

• Increase says:

I will say this. It wasnt actually the ref this time. It was the lineman not knowing what offside is.

• Mason says:

That’s not really fair to say. I’m 93.14159% certain that the AR though he saw the flickon come from a Mexican head on the second goal. If that’s what had actually happened, his call would have been right.

72. Tom_in_So_IL says:

Anybody else got the live stream app?
    Suck it ESPN its free and in English.

73. Don the Jewler says:

Mexico really needed 3 goals to help there cause. Now they have to beat both Croatia and Brazil

74. YO says:

I don’t understand why ESPN find it necessary to have Moreno and the other idiot calling the game, hate having to watch the game in silent, but just can’t stand them two and all the other idiots they bring to the studio incluidng the one in the last segment.

75. Jason B says:

Predictions on the Spain Netherlands game? I feel Spain wins 1-0. It seems like that kind of tourney so far

76. shockedandawed says:

Roberto Martinez is such a great addition to ESPN. His analysis is so good especially for the casual american audience. More of him please!

77. Mason says:

NED is in their changes and ESP is wearing their thirds? WTH? Did the officials forget their blacks?

• blokhin says:

seriously, I want Orange and Red/Blue, not Soviet Union vs Florida Gators

• Mason says:

I could understand not wanting Orange vs Red, but if you’re going to put NED in their blue change kits, let ESP wear red and put the officials in yellow.

78. Landy Cakes says:

Spain have sent over their Olympic diving team by mistake.

79. blokhin says:

watching how Diego Costa Bedoya-ed (verb i.e. to butcher a numbers adnvantage in the final third) makesme think Spain might as well go 4-6-0

80. Gordoninho says:

It’s pronounced GorDONinho.

81. QuakerOtis says:

Not a penalty.

• Increase says:

Certainly not the defenders fault. I have no idea how Costa managed to get fouled. It was impressive.

• Justin says:

With so little reaction time, in the run of play, that was a world class drawing of a foul that should never be called.

82. Mason says:

Dive.

83. Jack says:

Costa first catches himself then decides to flop

• Landy Cakes says:

Now I see why Klinsman has selected Green, that kid’s flopping skills are next level.

84. Justin says:

He actually stepped in the other direction of his cut to initiate contact…stepping on the sliding defender. Officials 0-2 on penalty calls so far.

85. blokhin says:

the Dutch don’t seem to be finishing their runs or showing much appetite for attack… 3-4 crosses in the box that were dangerous, but no Dutch to pounce on htem… tired?

86. YO says:

Spain players getting all the calls, a simple check an a call or a card…is like watching the them play in La Liga.

87. Pace says:

Spain are the woooooorst. Zzzzzzz

88. Increase says:

The Dutch are being silly here. They don’t need to be getting so getting sooo many Yellow is gunna get people suspended in last group game. That last group game is Chile.

89. QuakerOtis says:

RVP! Nice goal from the flying Dutchmen.

90. Jack says:

great goal

91. Justin says:

OMG

92. Landy Cakes says:

RVP RVP RVP

93. Cheese says:

DAAAAAAAMN

94. Increase says:

That was gorgeous by RVP. Just amazing. Chip a keeper on a running header.

95. bryan says:

sick goal!

also, for that PK, it is VERY similar to Jozy’s PK against Chelsea. it’s the same thing. the striker steps on the leg of the defender as the defender is sliding which causes him to lose his balance.

• Increase says:

Yep, very much similar. The defender was much closer to Jozy but same idea.

• beachbum says:

super smart play by Costa imo, don’t know that it was a PK tho but he made the play happen and forced the ref to make a decision

96. JayAre says:

I’m going to try the RvP goal in my rec league. Wish me luck

97. beachbum says:

wow

98. usaalltheway says:

Anyone else noticing the Brazilian fan’s reaction to Costa when he gets the ball? If not, they boo, LOUDLY, when he gets the ball at his feet and cheer when he is fouled or loses the ball. As well, the CBF officially asked the Brazilian government to revoke Costa’s citizenship in Brazil. Think about that for a minute…

That is how they feel about a Brazilian nation playing for any team that isn’t Brazil. So, please stop calling people on here “xenophobic” for wanting our team to be American-based. Yes, they have an American passport but that doesn’t mean we want them playing on the team.

Here comes the rage and rancor in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1……

• usaalltheway says:

Brazilian national*…

• QuakerOtis says:

Not even slightly analogous. You won’t approve of new guys because of their “German roots.” while also failing to complain about the Norwegian and Icelandic guys. The Brazilian fans, on the other hand, are booing a turncoat, a la Rossi. Sorry, but yes, you’re a xenophobe.

• usaalltheway says:

Are you a dual national?

I am. When you actually live it, you would understand.

But you don’t, so you can’t.

Slurs make hold with your beer buddies, but not with me.

The comparison holds well. Just think about Chandler or Boyd. How are those guys Americans? They barely speak English, live in Germany, play in German and have very little contact with the country.

But, at the end of the day it matters not. You will think what you want regardless.

• Mason says:

The Brazilians are hating on Costa because he turned his back on Brazil. In the case of Chandler or Boyd, it only makes sense for the GERMANS to boo them for turning their backs on GERMANY.

In either case, it’s not xenophobia.

• Sharkbait says:

You should’ve stopped with Chandler. Boyd is hands-down the most patriotic of all the German-American players.

• bryan says:

this is a flawed analogy. Costa was a NATURALIZED citizen of Spain. he has zero ties to Spain other than living there long enough to get a passport.

each of our German-Americans born outside of the US had passports already because their dad was in the US military…

• Mason says:

You’ve got it completely backwards.

Diego Costa is Brazil’s Gio Rossi, not their Timmy Chandler.

99. chris says:

hahahahaha so many satchels in madrid

100. chris says:

Its not a spain game without the diving and faking injuries

101. KrankyKoot says:

Question: Thought there were supposed to be World Cup level refs? Spain has made a science out of drawing fouls by dumb refs and this guy hasn’t a clue. Either that or he is betting. Nah! The Italian refs would never do that………..

102. QuakerOtis says:

Hup Holland Hup!

• QuakerOtis says:

If the Dutch can pull this one out, how crazy could the Spain – Chile game be? Chile’s odds of going through that much better?

103. chris says:

f*ck spain

104. bryan says:

WOW!!!

105. beachbum says:

the Dutch attacking that high line from Spain with direct balls over the top

2 goals now like that

106. beachbum says:

and Costa is lucky…not much bt could have been sent off, no doubt

107. bryan says:

Costa is a POS.

108. blokhin says:

Robben seems to be compensating for the fact that everyone knows he’s gonig left, by shooting across his body and across the bodyof the goalie pre-emptively diving- saw him score like that with Bayern and now today

109. JayAre says:

Ok what’s wrong with Spain ? Singapore won’t like this!!

110. chris says:

Is it really that hard to not be so soft? Making this sport look bad

111. Bac says:

Has anyone noticed the deployment of Schneider to disrupt the pivots of Busquets and Xavi Alonso, combined with the guys behind him have neutralized the possession bread and butter of Spain’s midfield….
    (Channeling my inner Michael Bradley)

112. JayAre says:

I really think Spain should be starting De Gea not Iker.

113. bryan says:

these Eredivisie defenders are sooooo bad….

114. Increase says:

Holland is winning via having amazing attacking talent. That’s it. Counting the heck out of Spain.

115. chris says:

hahahahhahahah spain is so overrated

116. Matthew R says:

Could Spain not make it out of the group now? If they don’t beat Chile they’re in trouble..

117. Justin says:

Whoa…could Spain not get out this group?

118. bryan says:

so that’s not a foul on Casillas but Croatia’s challenge on Julio was?! SO INCONSISTENT.

119. JayAre says:

The Dutch are making this game interesting. Best game so far!!

120. blokhin says:

just as Sneijder approached that free kick I thought back to that goal vs Brazil in 2010…. almost the same

121. Older & Wiser says:

So what did Iker get the yellow for?

122. JayAre says:

How does Torres come off the bench and Villa is still sitting?

123. William the Terror says:

This is so awesome. So glad to see Spain getting their butts kicked.

124. QuakerOtis says:

OOOhhhh… Good offiside call. I want to count Spain out of it… but soooooo much time left. Hoping for a classic final 20.

125. JayAre says:

De Gea is seriously a better option!!!

126. ManicMessiah says:

Between the wrongly disallowed goals in the first match today, the non sending off of Costa, the non-call on Casillas compared to the call on Cesar, this has not been a good start to the officiating.

I think the penalty decision for Costa was soft but think it was a much more valid call then the dive yesterday.

127. The Garrincha says:

Noticing the subtleties of the underhanded officiating?,
    that was obstruction for Jozy, and Olic, but not on RVP.
    & Van Persie was off, but got the shot which would have been a goal if he didn’t rock the post.
    That said Clockwork Orange deserve this victory.

128. JayAre says:

Seriously!!!!! de Gea is a way better option

• JayAre says:

Light years better!! I think the coach is playing his favorites now not the best guy

• The Garrincha says:

Agree JayAre, Casillas is not a big keeper and he’s lost a step.
      Cat quick reflexes just not there anymore, and being on the smaller side
      his ability is diminished.

129. bryan says:

poor Casillas. as a Madrid fan i don’t like this one bit.

130. Matthew R says:

Not only is Spain probably going to lose, but it looks like they’re going to be in trouble with goal differential

• QuakerOtis says:

Its harder to play for those 1 – 0 victo… and Robben scores.

• beachbum says:

5 now…wow

• jones says:

I am hoping Chile can somehow manage 1st in the group – they should make a hard push for goals against Australia. I don’t really care for the Dutch or Spain this World Cup.

• JayAre says:

Chile basically had home field advantage that’s like Mexico playing in Texas Spain is in trouble

• Mr_A says:

More like Spain playing in Austria, i.e., less travel, no sympathy: just ask a Chilean.

131. jones says:

wow, Casillas…he really needs to be replaced.

132. usaalltheway says:

I called it!

I was rooting for Spain but I knew the Orange (or should I say the Blue) were too strong and Spain was too weak.

What a game!!

133. shawn says:

Haha

134. Increase says:

So down 3 goals… and… Ramos takes the free kick?

135. The Garrincha says:

Just tooling & burning La Furia Roja.

136. shawn says:

God damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

137. Jack says:

wow what a match

138. Mason says:

Woah.

139. JayAre says:

Seriously wtf is this? bad defense and a terrible keeper. How did Madrid survive this season with these 2 guys????

• jones says:

Well Barca weren’t all that this season and Casillas spent a lot of time on the bench. So some saw this coming but probably not at this scoreline!

140. Mason says:

NED is playing FIFA on semi-pro.

141. Increase says:

Carles puyol seemingly important.

142. blokhin says:

5-1? I think MLS All Stars could do better than Spain

143. blokhin says:

what is up with these slow mo shots? they were terrible 4 years ago and no better today…

144. Tom_in_So_IL says:

Its ugly when star athletes crash…

145. Increase says:

Erdivisie defenders are such noobs right? Van Gaal played this perfectly and his team decided to cooperate.

146. Fredo says:

Dang it, Holland.

147. bryan says:

poor Casillas.

but wow two GREAT saves from him there.

148. Luke says:

Netherland 5 Spain 1
    Arjen Robben is number 1!

149. beachbum says:

Casillas deserves responsibility, but that midfield for Spain is getting thrashed, and the backline

• jones says:

yeah, without midfield sharpness their weaknesses at defense are on display. Such a one-dimensional team. We’ll see if they can respond.

150. JayAre says:

Seriously all the has beens on Spain’s team like Torres and Casillas what was the coach drinking when he pick his roster??

151. Jack says:

what a strike from Robben, Casillas deserves a little credit there

152. Justin says:

Ok, I gotta give Iker some credit on those last two. He is an incredible shot-stopper that makes poor decisions and is weak on crosses. With the Spain of old, most teams resorted to long shots and played to his strength. No such protection with this current team.

153. foooo says:

as poorly as Spain has played, the Dutch are playing out of their minds. They would have crushed Brazil.

154. Benny says:

Ticky tacky is done

155. JayAre says:

Seriously Torres!!!! How did he make the team???

156. blokhin says:

Fernando Torres, Jozy thanks you for making him feel better

157. Benny says:

Australia is starting to lick their chops

158. John says:

Del Bosque: You’re Old Mother Hubbard and only Torres is in the cupboard

159. The Garrincha says:

OK, next game.
    Chi-Chi-Chi Go Chile!

160. Benny says:

Looks like Spain is going to have to beat both Chile and Australia.Chile is going to be tough.

161. JayAre says:

Chile playing in Brazil is just like Mexico playing in Texas. So Spain is in for it!!!

162. Benny says:

This is what the U.S. hopes to do against Ghana, counter attack…and tear it up in the second half as the Ghanaians get tired.

163. Mason says:

I like ESPN’s porch set. The talent should have caipirinha in front of them. Drunk Bob Ley and Alexi Lalas anybody?

164. usaalltheway says:

Robben proving that he might be the best player in this Cup.

Both goals were picture perfect. Pure technical genius. The calm control and timing.

The reality is though that the writing was on the wall for Spain. Barca was falling hard and they couldn’t get it done this year. No Puyol and that overrated Pique coupled with no true number 9 will not result in a title this year. Plus, where was Spain’s midfield?

165. Ga1atic0 says:

So…… anyone rethinking their brackets ?

166. beachbum says:

ugly early

167. justin says:

Let the goal differential battle begin… Spain is in big trouble. 2-0 already

168. The Garrincha says:

Man those Socceroos look slower than molasses in the wintertime.
    GO-GO-GO CHI-CHI-CHI GO CHILE!

169. beachbum says:

game on

170. beachbum says:

LS gets its first goal of the World Cup too

Cahill special there

171. Diego's Maradoughnuts says:

Classic Tim Cahill goal. Take that RVP.

172. Diego's Maradoughnuts says:

This is not so much a case of Chile dominating as the early goals suggested. However, Australia has just written another chapter in the playbook for “How not to start your WC”. Two early goals and a completely needless yellow card for Cahill were not in the gameplan. But… they weren’t not badly outclassed, and they may still be able to erase much of the damage if they keep the focus they started to show after they woke up. Frankly, Bob Bradley woud love this sh*t

173. Mr_A says:

Mexican announcer is nominated for the Spanish-language voice of Herman Munster.

174. foooo says:

Australia more dangerous than Chile at the moment.

175. The Garrincha says:

Jokes aside, it’s nice to see Cahill repping the MLS well.
    Socceroos have heart and a good fighting spirit in em.

176. foooo says:

Australia really should be ahead. Shame about the bogus calls.

177. Diego's Maradoughnuts says:

These goalkeepers have unique and different approaches ways to inspiring anxiety

178. Turgid Jacobian says:

Man, folks above, Chile definitely outclassed Australia. Not by a huuuuge margin, but by a notable one. Oz was in it mainly by fire and fouling.