World Cup: USA vs. Germany (SBI Live Match Commentary)

USAGermany2014Logos

RECIFE, Brazil– As if the drama surrounding the U.S. Men’s National Team’s decisive group finale versus Germany didn’t have enough drama, torrential rains have paralyzed the city here ahead of today’s all-important clash.

The task is simple for the Americans. Win and they top the group. Tie and they advance to the Round of 16 in second place. Lose, and they run the risk of being knocked out of the World Cup in the group stage (though if Portugal defeats Ghana by a narrow margin, and the USA loses a close one, the Americans could still go through).

SBI will be providing live commentary on today’s match so please feel free to follow all the action here. As always, you are welcome to share your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action (Today’s commentary is after the jump):

Live Blog World Cup: USA vs. Germany (SBI Live Match Commentary)

This entry was posted in Featured, U.S. Men's National Team, Uncategorized, World Cup 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

203 Responses to World Cup: USA vs. Germany (SBI Live Match Commentary)

1. Clover362 says:

I hear there has been heavy rain for the last 8 hours that is still falling in Receif, Who do you think that helps? Maybe both sides will take it easier to avoid injury on a sloppy field?

• Matt says:

At this point I’m worried that they might not even get the match in… I have a friend in Recife who just sent me a picture and the main roads are turning into rivers and some people are abandoning their cars in the street and trying to walk to the stadium. Hopefully the team buses are already there.

• iggy says:

Grant Wahl tweeted that the stadium is fine, so as long as the teams can get there….

The police are probably clearing any open routes for team buses if they are not already there.

• Clint says:

It was also raining heavily right before the D-Day Normandy landings

2. blokhin says:

well, since the Germans are all about punctuality this should rattle them nicely going into the game. The anxiety levels will be immense

3. Increase says:

So anyone else hear about the Ghana implosion? Munarti punched a guy and KPB was suspendedtoo. This is obviously good for the US. Something to counter balance Portugal not trying that hard.

Incidentally, Portugal not trying that hard is why I dont mind if the USA and Germany play out a draw. Its not fair but neither is Ghana getting to play a Portugal who doesnt care.

• away goals says:

Now my paranoia pendulum has swung the other way and I worry portugal will score a thousand against an indifferent ghana.

• Increase says:

Hehe, Ronaldo would love that. Ah man. Dont talk anymore! That attitude is contagious!

• slowleftarm says:

What’s the basis for saying Portugal won’t try hard? They still have a chance to advance.

• Increase says:

Well, they didnt exactly look excited when they scored the equalizer against us. And they are Eliminated for all practical purposes due to massive goal differential.

• slowleftarm says:

That’s pretty silly. They don’t have a great chance but they still have a chance. For example, they beat Ghana 2-0 and we lose 3-0. Not the likeliest results maybe but not totally implausible. And they certainly tried hard enough to score against us.

• Mason says:

Wasn’t Muntari on a YC suspension anyway? KPB probably would have played.

• Jack says:

There was also a story where Ghana was going to refuse to play the match over having not been paid. However the President of Ghana stepped in and sent 2 million on a plane. There was even a police convoy yesterday Grant Whal and others were tweeting pictures of. Crazy stuff.

• Mason says:

It was 3 million in cash, not 2 million.

What’s a million or two between friends, eh?

• RB says:

Anybody else wondering what it would be like to be a high-profile figure (or group) in a country where security conditions may be suspect and to have the entire world know that you just received a huge cash payment?

• Mason says:

Seriously… Is the Ghanaian team bus going to stop at the bank on the way to the stadium so that they can deposit that money?

• MLSsnob says:

Speaking as a banker, they would have to open an account there, which I doubt they have that bank in Ghana. Also, there’s probably some version of a Brazilian OFAC. Any money of that amount, coming from Africa, would require a lot of paper work and time to clear.

• Mason says:

So the news tomorrow will be about an armed robbery during the match at the Ghanaian hotel?

4. TheMaddox says:

Does anyone know if FIFA will delay the start of both games if the USA game is delayed? If not, it could definitely help us out to know how the Ghana – Portugal game is going before we get on the pitch.

• Pace says:

No, they will both be delayed if neccesary. Sorry.

• TheMaddox says:

Blah. That sucks. But I still think these field conditions tend to help the USA. It would make me think that it will be low scoring/low risk and a draw would be more likely. I understand going for the win and am all for that, but if the field is in poor condition, then there is no reason to risk injury (for either team).

• Spectra says:

Our Boys are prepared for this kind of game thanks to the blizzard game in colorado. Dempsey with the messy win!!

5. Cabrito says:

They would have to delay the start of both games. They would both have to be played today, though. Otherwise the entire Round of 16 schedule would be jeopardized.

6. JB says:

Plz let the game delay til 4pm CT, since I’m getting out of work @ that time Lol

7. TheMaddox says:

Per Rachel Nichols – ” FIFA spokeswoman on USA-Germany: “It is true there are heavy rains, but the match will go on as scheduled.” No delay, she says.”

8. Clint says:

Imagine.. If Team USA is able to beat Germany today all the JK haters/LD luvrs will have to and face the music.

• TheMaddox says:

I wouldn’t count on it. ” ‘Denial’ isn’t just a river in Egypt.” (It really doesn’t work as well when typed)

• That_Guy says:

I feel thats unfair to Donovan that you would justify his snub because the USA wins this game. He deseved to be on the roster, but now that he isn’t you want the USA to win so his supporters to feel bad about fighting for his case? He could of at least contributed just as much as Davis, Green, or Wondolowski thus far. We will never know what Donovan would have done at this World Cup, but don’t use the USA’s success to put down Donovan or those who Donovan has so strongly influenced.

Show some respect to the man who has gotten us this far. I know theres no use whining for him to be on the roster, but this is more about showing him respect.

Look at the USA’s success in a postive light, not one where you can belittle on other passionate USA fans.

• slowleftarm says:

I have not been a big JK fan but if he gets us through this tough group, I have to give him a big slice of the credit because I think he’s done a really good job in these first two games. That said, no matter how far we go, he should have had LD in the squad instead of Julian Green. I don’t care whether you classify LD as a striker or midfielder, that’s immaterial. The one caveat is that maybe there was some chemistry issue with having LD there and that’s the reason for his exclusion. I don’t think so but if there were, I’d reserve judgment until we got more details, which we may never get.

I also loved his reaction when Portugal equalized. No hysterics or anger or anything, just a little grin. That definitely won me over somewhat.

• whoop-whoop says:

Donovan certainly hasn’t done much to state his case…. if he is invisible and unable to make a difference to prevent the Galaxy elimination from US Open by the mighty Railhawks, not so sure he’d do much v Germany. He has been largely ineffective for the better part of 8 months now. Sad, but true.

9. ROP says:

Too soon to call the Uruguayan attack “toothless” now?

10. Fast Eddie says:

We played defense and counter against Ghana. We lucked out with Dempsey’s quick goal and got a win. We started the game with Portugal, again with a defense and counter mindset but with a different formation. The U.S maybe played its best game I have seen them play and kept the defense and counter for the full 90.

It should be noted however, with the new formation the substitution of a single attacker would allow us to transform from a defense and counter to an attacking mode, i.e. false 9. At the start I thought if the U.S goes down only 1 goal they will stick with it but if they go down by 2 they would make the switch.

Now what? Ghana is very capable of scoring 3 (or more) goals against Portugal and winning by 2 (or more). Of the 3 teams in our group it is Germany that our defense and counter stands the worst chance of getting a result. They can, and often do, score in bunches. The U.S can not go with defend and counter today!

I know. I said it was Julian Green and false 9 time against Portugal. I was wrong. But I will double-down. Plus, we can not be content with simply going through as most commenters here seem to be, thrilled even. We must start to play real soccer now if we are to have any chance against the big boys.

• twosevenstreet says:

Leave the country

• slowleftarm says:

And by real soccer, you mean playing a system we’ve never played before with the focal point of that system being a fourth division player who’s never started a first-team match at club level or for the national team? Wow, ok.

• sam says:

Good god. People, enough with the false 9 nonsense. There are four teams in the world that can do it: Barcelona, Bayern, Spain, and Germany. And those countries aren’t stocking their attack with defensive midfielders, nor are they sticking an 18-year old reserves player as the false 9.

• ronniet says:

asinine comments keep coming from this guy smh….I don’t know what game you watched but the US took it to Portugal, not the defend and counter game you hallucinated about! Give props where props are due!

• GW says:

I wouldn’t say there was a lot of luck involved in Dempsey’s goal.

A lack of focus by Ghana maybe but it shows you that Clint is great at taking advantage of opposition letdowns.

• whoop-whoop says:

We attacked and got a very well executed, skillful goal against Ghana and then went into a defensive posture. Unprecedented!!!!

11. RB says:

These conversations are being duplicated over on the other thread (unfortunately).

Meanwhile, will this then be the #RainClasico ?

12. lassidawg says:

Best thing for both teams is to show up and kick the ball around especially if it is sloppy, neither team needs to risk injury. Imagine all the questions in Germany if Muller is injured in a game that is basically meaningless.
    I guess I don’t understand why it is ok in this country for the NFL to play bench players when they have clinched their position, but yet for soccer it woud be scandalous if two teams who earned this position based on their first two games play a little kick around. Is it boring for the fans sure, but as a fan I would much rather see my team adance and put themselves in the best postion for the oun of 16. If those games were a week away I could see it, but both are due to play next Monday or Tuesday. Sign me up for boring and a guarantee of a game next Tuesday.

The goal of this isn’t to see who is better in pool play the goal is to advance to the round of 16.

13. Clover362 says:

Jurgen just signed the line up card, should be out on twitter momentarily.

14. Brian S. says:

I just read that US families and friends are not even attempting to make the trip to the stadium because it is too dangerous. Maybe I am biased because I will be watching the game 2 hours late but I really hope this game is postponed.

15. Raymon says:

While we wait, here is a pre game pep talk from Lt. Aldo Raines. link to youtube.com

16. Fast Eddie says:

Here is an interesting tidbit of information. Players from club team Bayern Munich have scored a total of 12 goals so far in the world cup, far more than any other.

17. Jack says:

People throwing a fit because Omar and Davis are starting in 3.2.1…

18. Raymon says:

MLS reporting FIFA suspends Suarez 4 months and fines him $100K

19. Benjamin C. says:

Omar, if there was ever a day where you did not get caught ball watching in a key moment, please let this be it!

• Snack Time says:

He’s there for one reason: to be the tallest head on the end of Davis’ set-piece deliveries.

• Raymon says:

Pretty telling that he’s not there for his primary job – to defend and stop the potent attack.

• BOFO for hire says:

Or, maybe it’s that Cameron’s mental errors played a part in both Portugal goals (shanking the clearance early, not properly tracking Varela on the equalizer late). Still, it’s a bold move.

• Laszlo says:

Cameron never recovered from the error in the 5th minute. I watched the Portugal game a second time. He looked really shaky and unsure of himself. Mentally, I think he’s shot for this tournament. I think this is a good move for JK to make.

20. Raymon says:

Gonzo for Cameron! Looks like a Vogts move.

• Jack says:

saying he is throwing it?

• Raymon says:

No, I have no inside knowledge. I would be interested to see Gonzo’s +/- record when he is on the pitch. I groaned when he came in at US-POR and told those around me that we are gonna get scored on. I hated to be right. Gonzo is a good guy, but he has not recovered from his swoon in form at the end of camp. I hope I am wrong.

• JayAre says:

They have more chemistry so that’s probably why.

• Increase0 says:

Vogts??? I mean its odd but… like um… Your reasoning makes no sense.

21. rex says:

Are we still live here?

22. JayAre says:

Brad Davis is starting. Bedoya on the bench 4-5-1

23. ThaDeuce says:

Lineup out, Davis and Omar starting! Omar? Wtf happened to Besler and brooks.

24. Rowsdower says:

Interesting line up.

25. Bird says:

Line up out Davis and Omar starting in place of Cameron and Bedoya.

26. Roman Lewandowski says:

Brad Davis is a subpar player, and I wish I could use profanity here.

• Raymon says:

scheisse!

• blokhin says:

he’s there as a placeholder for Julian Green coming on in the 75th minute and faling over Mertesacker’s knee to draw a game-tying penalty attempt in the 3rd minute of stoppage time. unfortunately Dempsey takes it and punts it over the bar…. 2-1 Germany. Ghana wins 3-1 and starts throwing dollar bills from the recently arrived bonus money at their fans… Germany anf Ghana advance… JK critics come out in full b/c why the F was Donovan not there, why JK defenders take the moral vistory of 1-1-1 and two chances to advance as signs of progress- we have another four years of arguments

• Only Results Matter says:

This is way too important for joking around. Still why is Gonzo there?! I hope and pray that JK knows way more than all of us. Otherwise it is his ego.

• Raymon says:

I really dont want to have a discussion about defining “success” when we fail to advance. But your situation is plausible (guessing MB or JJ takes PKs though). Just glad GHA is imploding and the conditions are horrible on the pitch, so that both teams will play conservatively. Memories of snow WCQ game.

27. Fast Eddie says:

Time to head to the sports pub. I am looking forward to this game more than any other in a long time. Hope I am not wrong again.

Have fun.

28. Brian says:

Gonzo is mind blowing inclusion
    With the quality of German movement why include someone always caught ball watching
    If this is due to Cameron errors if Brooks was choice when besler was hurt why no include him today

• Roy9 says:

It appears he doesn’t want to start youngsters which makes sense in this match. The field conditions could negate speed.

• Mason says:

After the GHA match, JK said that Brooks is Besler’s replacement and Gonzo was Cameron’s. Apparently, he sees a difference between playing LCB and RCB.

29. QuakerOtis says:

Omar? We must have a gentlemen’s agreement, in one direction or another… Fingers crossed Mr. Gonzales cleans up those crosses.

• Clover362 says:

A couple of possible explanations for Omar getting the start:

1) Cameron is exahusted physically or mentally, or both

2) Jurgen gambled that Klose might have gotten the start and wanted Omar’s ability in the air.

3) Jurgen knows Germany is not going to be that aggressive and he needs to rest a few players without making it obvious.

• ben in el cajon says:

A fourth:
        Klinsmann had planned from June to have a variety of lineups. One of the ways to have an “American Style” is to have a diverse team in which anyone can participate and do a job, so Yedlin can go in with no experience and do well, and we can start three different midfields without losing chemistry, and we can pick the center back pair best suited to stopping the particular opponent. In this case, Omar might be best against the German team.

30. Ali Dia says:

I think there may be a new Germerican situation today– 23 new German footsoccer players with an American daddy. Line forms on the right, boys.

LET’S GO YANKS!!!!

31. QuakerOtis says:

Any truth to the report that KPB and Muntari have been kicked off Ghana’s team?

• QuakerOtis says:

Just saw Ives’ story above. ESPN and many others reporting this too. I’m a bit scatterbrained right now… Wooohoo!

32. Alfred E. Neuman says:

No need to worry this game is going to end in either a 1-1 or 2-2 draw. This line-up is not surprising. How is this for a exciting scenario? Germany scores first, maybe even goes up 2-0. The struggling trio of Omar, Davis and Beasley will be subbed out early in the second half for Julian Green, John Brooks and Timmy Chandler. Green has a dramatic goal, the equalizer, and Chandler maybe an assist or goal. Germany and USA both go through to the knock-our rounds and everybody is happy and Green, Brooks, Chandler will be heroes for sparking a historic 2nd half comeback and Klinsmann will be hailed as a genius.

33. Clover362 says:

We have 53,000 troops in Germany and another 10,000 in Italy. They should all be put on high alert and told to start marching on Berlin if Germany starts threatening the US goal.

34. JayAre says:

Come on just hold hands in the middle of the field and sing kumbaya for 90 minutes

35. Scott says:

Anyone have stream? My satellite is out.

36. Mikey K says:

Gonzalez is horrible. I am scared!

37. Chu says:

US are about to realise the real result of bradley’s cause

38. JayAre says:

Wow Ronaldo almost scored already.

39. JayAre says:

Beasley keeps letting the cross in what’s he there for??

40. JayAre says:

Beasley sucks!

41. Silversurfer says:

Ronaldo stoned on goal line header

42. Mr_A says:

Embarrassing fall by Jones. I think the ref saw that one.

43. Increase says:

This ref has massively stupid positioning.

• Mr_A says:

He’s actually half German. Which half? With the whistle at hand, it’s the half that blows!

Haven’t liked the calls or the non-calls very much, but hopefully no injuries.

44. Silversurfer says:

Portugal scores on og

45. Francois says:

We’ve looked competent in possession, Germany haven’t really threatened. Let’s keep it going boys, keep putting them under pressure and make them chase the game.

46. JayAre says:

Ghana just scored a own goal

47. Silversurfer says:

Portugal on attack

48. Mr_A says:

So is Jones our target forward now? He’s doing a good job!

49. hudson says:

Jones looks a step slow today. I wonder if he’s got heavy legs from short turnaround.

50. hudson says:

Bradley’s blown a couple of good chances at the top of the penalty area today. Jones might’ve been better just to shoot there. Would like to see Johnson get in position to get a crack on goal. He looks sharp today.

51. shawn says:

PLEASE TAKE DAVIS OUT

• chris says:

Amen they have literally attacked his side the whole game. He needs to go. Defensive liability

• Tony Meola says:

I think we should sub him out and put on some speed to challenge the German back line. Perhaps bring on Chandler in a similar role to Yedlin last game. Or we could go with Bedoya or Green.

52. Mikey K says:

Gonzalez has been playing good I was a little harsh. I hope he plays well second half.

• Tony Meola says:

Aside from a shaky clearance at the start, Gonzo has looked surprisingly solid. Let’s hope he keeps it up!

53. Jack says:

Just got to get through 45 more mins.

54. Brad says:

We look good although I would like to see more from Davis. A change may be in store. Even if it’s Chandler/Johannson/Yedlin/Green for Davis.

55. Tony Meola says:

If the Portugal game remains 1-0, I think we should push forward around the 80th minute and go for the win. If we were to concede it would be highly likely that we still advance at that juncture.

56. Mr_A says:

Dangerous header from Germany. Looked totally offsides to me, but non-call helping the Germans again.

• Mr_A says:

Followed by a bogus free kick call favoring the Germans. We truly have to play against 12.

57. Silversurfer says:

Uh oh. Come on Ronaldo.

58. Silversurfer says:

We’re in trouble. Portugal falling apart.

59. Francois says:

Good, I can’t stand Bastian Schweinsteiger. He’s such a whiny player.

60. Mr_A says:

I’m thinking that when Beckerman gets his hair wet, it’s another weapon.

61. Francois says:

Man, I know the pitch is soaked, but maybe the Germans should just have a dip back at the compound instead of diving all over the pitch.

62. Silversurfer says:

We need Pele, Michael Caine, Ozzy Ardilles, and Sly Stallone.

63. Mr_A says:

If we were Costa Rica, we’d be complaining to FIFA about the rain.

64. Silversurfer says:

Ghana throwing the game our way.

65. Jack says:

Ronaldo!!!

66. JayAre says:

Yedlin’s future as a midfielder is becoming clear.

67. C. Ronaldo says:

You’re welcome.

68. hudson says:

U.S. attack really out of sync today, mainly because Dempsey hasn’t been able to connect on the final pass. And probably b/c guys are too tired to crash the box.

• Francois says:

Ya, players look exhausted. Completely understandable given our circumstances.

• Cylo says:

Or maybe Germany is that much better then us on the ball.

• Tony Meola says:

It think its a little of both. Germany are one of the best teams in the world, chances aren’t going to be easy. But we also just came of short rest after playing in Manaus. No teams that played in Manaus won their next game.

69. Francois says:

Soooooooooooo many dives from the Germans today. Unbelievable.

70. JayAre says:

We might qualify for the knockout rounds but losing to Germany just grinds my gears

71. JayAre says:

Fvck it invade Germany

72. Silversurfer says:

Shooohhhhh……

73. Francois says:

We’re through!!!!!!!!

74. Cheddar says:

Omar the man of the match?

75. Donovan'sGhost says:

Would love to have Donovan in the knockout round. His corners and freekicks are notch above Zusi.

• Cylo says:

LMAO Landon a ghost for sure

• Mr_A says:

Altidore had a few awesome freekicks, too. We’re crossing fingers. +1 on Donovan, but that’s what we’re living with: LD (among a million other possible ways to not mess up) also might’ve helped in the final minutes against Portugal. Coulda Woulda Shoulda.

• whoop-whoop says:

Yeah… the LD folks are pining for is a ghost of World Cup pasts. Hasn’t done a lot in MLS for 6-8 months… no help in that scoreless defeat by Galaxy to the mighty Railhawks, that is for certain.

US advanced and Landon has done little or nothing to state his case and much against it vs poor sides. That horse has been beaten to a pulp and should be left to rest in peace.

76. Mr_A says:

MOTM is either Jones or Howard, not sure which. I’ve criticized Howard many times, but he did his work the whole first half … nothing spectacular, but plenty of work. Jones looked awesome all day, but in the end no goal, so don’t know what to say… maybe he should’ve bowled over the ref to make the shot on goal instead of falling down. He probably made the right call on that, though. Didn’t like the officiating, slowing us down, and with a few exceptions, helping out the other side. Oh well. At least we’re in. Belgium, bring it on.

• Cylo says:

I disagree. Howard didn’t really have any great saves that I can think off. All the blocks he had went straight to him. Howard was good don’t get me wrong but he wasn’t our best player. Jones had another solid game but on the offensive end he was below average. More then a few times he was the reason for our counter not doing anything from either running into Bedoya or not running at full speed from Demspey

• Mr_A says:

Yeah, but a goalkeeper with 10 stops (or however many) in that slippery slop is doing a great job just by not slipping. But I won’t step up too much for him… his saves weren’t fantastic, but the shots weren’t all easy, and there were a lot, plus he came out a few times to stop the action and intercept crosses. Maybe he gets a 7 or 8 in the player scores and MOTM goes to someone else, but he looked good today.

• Anthony says:

You really don’t know much about goalkeeping do you? Maybe they came at him because of HIS POSITIONING???? Howard reads the game and commands his defenders well (an organizer). On top of that he occasionally makes the acrobatic save. I will really upon what professionals like Klinsman, R Martinez and some of the ex-players on ESPN say over you.

77. apw says:

Man of the match: Omar G. Never thought I’d say that.

I serious think Yedlin should start at right mid. We won’t have a lot of possession against Belgium and he could make a difference, especially against a CB playing left back. Can’t be worse than Brad Davis, who was not terrible but was pretty lost on the offensive end

• Cylo says:

Omar did a great job out there. He cleaned up everything. I would start Yedlin too. We just need to be quicker out there. We were really slow with Zusi and Davis. Again someone explain to me why Davis is on this team.

• apw says:

I gotta say Omar certainly can rise to the occasion, it seems like it’s the lesser games he struggles with concentration. Look at his Azteca performance, Dos a cero, MLS CUP final, and today. Problem is we don’t see this enough.

• shawn says:

I rather have Yedlin develop as a rb. IMO his potential there is higher. But he might be better rm at this point

• Cylo says:

Your not going to start Yedlin at RB at this stage. Since we can;t hold the ball for crap I rather have him and Chandler in midfield as extra speedy fullbacks who can counter

78. slowleftarm says:

Thanks to Portugal and Ronaldo. So much for the poster who was saying before the game that they wouldn’t try.

• Cylo says:

You know that part I didn’t get. Why so many picked Ghana over Portugal. Its like people saw what USA did to Portugal and just assumed they were crap.

• Jack says:

Yeah, I was one of them. Mostly it just what I feared. However I also knew Ronaldo didn’t want to go home with out a goal.

• Increase0 says:

Sorry Slow, I that Ghana would care more about winning than their Money.
      Seems I was wrong.

And besides that don’t be silly, Slow. You always have more motivation when victory actually means something. That gives you an edge that simple pride can’t.

79. Raymon says:

Omar, sorry I doubted you this game bro. Great game. Muller schmuller!