World Cup Day 6: Your Running Commentary

Neymar goalBy TIM FONTENAULT

After a wild finish Monday night, the World Cup continues Tuesday with three matches, including the introduction of the four teams that have yet to play.

Belgium finally kicks off its first World Cup since 2002. No longer considered a dark horse thanks to a young crop of stars like Eden Hazard, Thibaut Courtois and Axel Witsel, Belgium has been by pegged by many to be the most likely of the non-traditional powers to lift the trophy in Brazil and will be the team to beat in Group H.

Belgium opens their tournament against 2010 World Cup participants Algeria. While not considered a threat to escape the group, Algeria knows how to make things difficult for bigger sides at the World Cup. After all, their last match at the tournament very nearly kept the United States out of the knockout stage.

Brazil and Mexico both overcame slow starts to grab three points in their opening matches. Now, they face off against each other, with the winner (if there is one) all but assured a spot in the second round.

Russia and South Korea will be the last teams to make their 2014 World Cup debuts. Russia has hopes that they can overtake Belgium in Group H and maybe make a deep run as a result. Defeating South Korea and Algeria will be crucial for the No. 18 team in the world.

If you will be watching today’s matches, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions and some play-by-play in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action (TV listings after the jump):

TODAY’S WORLD CUP SOCCER ON TV

12 p.m. – Belgium vs. Algeria – ESPN

3 p.m. – Brazil vs. Mexico – ESPN

6 p.m. – Russia vs. South Korea – ESPN

This entry was posted in Featured, FIFA World Cup, International Soccer, World Cup 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

278 Responses to World Cup Day 6: Your Running Commentary

1. William the Terror says:

Belgium 2-0. Brazil, 2-1. South Korea pulls the upset 2-1.

• slowleftarm says:

I’d like to see those results actually.

• Benjamin C. says:

I think Belgium can put 3 or 4 on the board, honestly, so I expect a romp there. I agree about Brazil-Mexico, and I think South Korea holds strong for a while, but eventually succumbs in the second half, 1-0.

• William the Terror says:

We’ll, they are now down 1-0 and Algeria is tough to score against (remember 2010). Belgium may have been strong in qualifying, but this is their first time on the big stage in 12 years. I do not see them scoring a ton.

• Benjamin C. says:

I thought talent would be enough for them, but you are right, the World Cup is a completely different animal. They of course have time to figure things out, but not an impressive half from the Belgians.

• K says:

As much as i hate mexico, i want to see all the concacaf teams perform well at the WC

2. blokhin says:

my favorite team is USMNT
    my 2nd favorite team in whoever plays Mexico
    my 3rd favorite is whoever plays Russia

Go Korea, Go Brazil

• Vlad says:

Normally i would agree with you but with the Garbage that went on in the officiating in the first game i want brazil to bomb out in the group stages. I hate diving teams like brazil more than mexico

• Nate Dollars says:

i’m trying to make sense of your last sentence. do you actually think mexico isn’t a ‘diving team’?

• Vlad says:

No where near the level that Brazil is. Both Brazil mens and Womens are the worst divers in the game, its horrible to watch

• Lorenzo says:

The frustrating part is that Brazil are extremely physical on defense but fall down if a breeze hits them. Neymar especially.

• Mr_A says:

It’s just that Mexico was definitely robbed last game, while Brazil was given a charity PK. (And Croatia was denied a good goal, not to mention the non-call on a play equivalent to the PK gifted to Brazil.)

• blokhin says:

I’d rather see Mexico go home early and Brazil lose in te konckout rounds

3. argh says:

The face of US SOCCER

should be Clint Dempsey or Michael Bradley

not Donovan. He’s done so much for us but going forward it needs to be 1 of those 2

• Vlad says:

Absolutely NOT. Both of them were awful in yesterdays game, Bradley was downright terrible.Dempsey has a prima donna attitude, and wants everything handed to him on a silver platter including calls. As much as people dont like him, Jones is the embodiment of what America was founded on in a player. Hard work, leaving every single ounce of energy in your job, and being passionate about your work.

• Benjamin C. says:

Dempsey scored yet another big goal for the U.S. and had his nose broken yet stayed on the field, and this is all you can say about him? He was very inconsistent last night, as were most of the other American players, but I don’t understand this vitriole.

• Vlad says:

because in 98% of the games Dempsey is only useful for 10% of it. That is an extremely common trend

+100

Dempsey is a great player with a terrible attitude. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

He carried on most of the game as if someone owes him after having done him wrong. You can see it in his face.

• Mason says:

His nose looked totally out of joint the for like the last hour of the game. What a jerk.

• SilverRey says:

I’ll take 34 seconds of Dempsey being useful any day!!!!!

• usaalltheway says:

Vitriol…that is how you spell it!

I was racking my brain about an hour ago trying to get it right.
          Thanks!

• usaalltheway says:

So, I was not the only person who saw Clint’s attitude.

Yeah, his goal was AMAZING. Third best goal of the Cup thus far for sure. And yes, he is a beast.

But, his attitude is terrible.

• Don the Jewler says:

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? Clint has a bad attitude…how could all his teammates and coaches not see this.

• usaalltheway says:

Looks like you have never played sports before. Many world-class players, in various sports, have had HORRIBLE attitudes and yet continued to play and be played. I would go through the list but I can tell it is pointless.

At any rate, his goal was amazing.

• Don the Jewler says:

You know that I have never played sports before ? How? and I suppose you used the same methods to determine that Dempsey has a bad attitude. Your comments are conjecture not fact is all i am saying.

• GO BIG OR GO HOME says:

Bradley did have a horrible game.

Dempsey was so-so. Always attacking. A few shots on goal.

But agreed. He is the US SOCCER PLAYER. Came from a trailer park in East Texas to playing in the best football league on the planet and has scored in 3 consecutive world cups. when will the haters die? Same with Bradley. They’ve accomplished so much and done to erase the negative image of US players abroad. Kids should desire to play like them, not to play against the likes of Chivas USA.

4. tom says:

Where was the yellow for the kick to the face?

THANK YOU!!!

• Mason says:

Yellow? Looked like excessive force to me.

• Ryan says:

Should have been red. You can’t let players play that out of control

• USAmr says:

Dangerous play can be red. Sliding in studs up is an example here. I can’t believe there wasn’t even a foul called on the play. They are both shoulder to shoulder going up for a header. Then the kick. Because he knew where the other player was, and knowingly kicked to his head, that should have been a red card.

This… +1.

I can only assume that all three men in yellow didn’t see the actual contact.

• JoeL says:

Agreed.

• Ian says:

I’ve actually be trying to figure this out… at first I thought the refs just missed it — but there was ZERO commentary from the announcers as well (at least on ESPN). No one questioning the lack of a yellow, much less red. So I figured they knew something I didn’t? To me, that looked like a clearly dangerous play with no ball contact that should have been a red card.

5. Paul says:

Belgium’s so overrated. Next big thing, my ass.

• CB says:

Come on, that was a great penalty conceded

• Increase says:

So far, I’m not impressed. They don’t really have control of this game and they should.

• usaalltheway says:

They are dominating the game man.

They are young and have little experience. However, they are bossing the game around despite the Algerians tight, compact, organized defense.

Give it time. I bet they still get out of the group even if they lose this one.

• Increase says:

Hmm, I should clarify. First half it didn’t seem like Belgium could do what they wanted to do. Algeria was succeeding in their plan.

And they won 2-1.

They have it all. I bet they get to the quarters at least. Too much talent.

6. Paul says:

1-0 down. The hipsters will be weeping tonight.

• Jack says:

what a crazy world cup so far

• blokhin says:

there are always 1-2 hyped teams that don’t make it out of the group-think France and Italy in 2010…

the Belgians didn’t even make it to Euro 2012 with the same group, so the WCQ was the frist time they actually played up to their talent… and now you’re asking a bunch of EPL prima donnas to fly to a hot and humid place and work together to break down a pesky, technically sufficient underdog

• usaalltheway says:

How does that crow taste Paul? ;)

7. usaalltheway says:

This is one hell of a game.

Belgium not living up to their potential. Algeria with the tight, compact, controlled defense, exploiting their chances.

I am liking it.

Being half Brazilian and a fan of the USMNT, I am really looking forward to the next game. I say Mexico pulls the upset and wins 2-0.

• Benjamin C. says:

I will thankfully be able to watch the second half on my lunch break. It will be interesting to see how Belgium reacts to being down at the half in their World Cup opener, especially considering how so many people have been singing their praises. Sink or swinmtime, they are in the deep end of the pool now.

• usaalltheway says:

They have lots of possession, lots of talent and get forward but can’t break the defense down. If Lukaku were Altidore in this same situation, people would be calling for his head. Lukaku can’t get two seconds of the ball at his feet thanks to the Algerians.

Honestly, I wouldn’t count them out one bit. Even if they lose this one, next game they will be more accustomed to each other and therefore play better. They have all the tools and talent.

8. argh says:

dempsey was man of the match according to wikipedia

though should have been Jones

9. usaalltheway says:

That Algerian fan with the “Aladdin” hat (I don’t know it’s proper name) dancing around the stands, waving the flag is going to be a symbol of this Cup.

I am calling it NOW. You heard it here first!

• Tom_in_So_IL says:

Quatar…

• Benjamin C. says:

The Ghana fan they showed just before their goal, the one that Ian Darke made the ‘It takes all types’ comment about, he was pretty intense. But Ghana not getting the result in the end hurts his chances as most memorable fan.

• usaalltheway says:

Yeah, the “witch doctor”, right?

All the guys at the bar yesterday were saying he is the one who put a curse on the US team. haha

Last Cup there was another African guy, although I don’t know which nation he was representing (maybe South Africa) who was definitely one of the symbols of that Cup.

• Stinky Pete says:

You mean the witch doctor who was responsible for US’s hamstring injuries.

• usaalltheway says:

We must have wrote our comments at the same time!! That witch doctor doing his thing again!!! haha

• Lucas says:

Hahaha…..thinks it’s called a Fez. Algeria is a pretty good team don’t know why this is a big surprise to everyone. Brazil always have a difficult time with Mexico so it should be a very interesting game. Wouldn’t shock me if Mexico pulled it out 2 or 3-1

10. blokhin says:

here comes a corner….a stake in the Red Devils’ hearts?

11. Mikebsiu says:

Ja! Jaaaaa rode duviels!!!!!Doel!

12. Chicago Josh says:

Beautiful counter-attacking goal. As good as the finish was, the assist was picture perfect.

13. Daniel M says:

Any news on Jozy?

• Snack Time says:

Today is a holiday in Brazil; If he needs a specialist, it will probably take at least another day before we hear anything.

VERY TRUE.

Brazilians are drinking beer and getting ready for the game. Jozy can wait as far as they are concerned. Although, money does talk in Brazil.

14. usaalltheway says:

Belgium is getting to the quarters at least.

Way too much talent on and off the field.

The dominated the whole game and the Algerians were no push-overs. In fact, I was amazed at how organized and tight they were. Not half-bad at all.

That number 10, which club does he play for? God, he is FAST!!!!

15. cformusic says:

Good comeback for Belgium..a lot of hasty folks earlier in this thread..can’t wait for the SK Russia game to see if Russia lives up to all the hype

16. usaalltheway says:

On a side not, the MLS is showing pretty huge in the tournament. Dempsey’s goal, Cahill making Australia looking more than just a push-over side, and that guy from Costa Rica, number 9, with his amazing performance.

Not bad, I don’t even care for the MLS that much!

• Benjamin C. says:

Don’t forget the Zusi corner on the goal. It was pinpoint.

• Jack says:

Joel Campbell (9) is signed to Arsenal and was on loan last season at Olympiacos. Reports are Wenger plans to bring him in next season.

• Benjamin C. says:

His left footed shot from the run of play is breathtaking. The combo of technique and pure power is impressive.

However, Giancarlo Gonzalez from the Crew did play in that match

• Jack says:

I’m a little surprised Estaben Alvarado isn’t there back up keeper or at least made the team. I thought he had a strong season at AZ.

• usaalltheway says:

Thanks man!!! So, the kid is that good huh?

• Jack says:

yep and only 21 too, so scary having to see him for the next decade. he’s also the same player that took the dive getting Besler a yellow, making him miss the Mexico match.

• Mr_A says:

Sigh … I remember that dive… seems he’s already getting ready to leave MLS and head for Europe.

• usaalltheway says:

Oh, so he is THAT guy. That I remember.

Well, now I like him a lot less. hahaha

17. JoeL says:

May the flopping begin for Brazil.

18. SoundersFan says:

Two teams that like to dive and act like there legs were ripped off their bodies, should be a tough one for the ref.

19. blokhin says:

what is Mexico wearing? the look like the 1970′s Dutch teams on the stream I’m watching

20. blokhin says:

lol at Guardado screaming in pain BEFORE Alves make contact

21. SoundersFan says:

Its a shame that can play the game with out all these theatrics, could have been a great free flowing game.

• blokhin says:

kudos to Peralta for staying on his feet, I totally expected him to ake that leg and trip over it in the box

22. Nate Dollars says:

lol mexico playing bradleyball. love it.

• blokhin says:

seriously, I was thinking the same… although it’s more Bora-ball and Sampson-ball and Arena-ball and Bradley-ball and Klinsmann-bal…it’s the American way until the talent pool s sufficiently stocked with players who equal their European peers in terms of first and second touch and spatial awareness…

• Nate Dollars says:

good point. last night was a masterclass in bradleyball.

• Mason says:

Wasn’t Bradley/Arena/Sampson/Bora-ball absorb then strike? Last night was strike then absorb then strike again.

(s) It’s totally different. (/s)

23. JayAre says:

Do foreign women look this good or the camera crew just pin points the best of the best? I’m starting to think I’m meeting women in the wrong country.

• blokhin says:

having been to Rio when it’s rainy it’s nothing special

• HoboMike says:

Pretty sure the camera crew has carte blanche to film whomever they want, so they obviously scan the crowd.

Getting off the subway in NYC this morning, I saw three women in skimpy Brazil jerseys/outfits. They were decidedly NOT the women who we always see on TV.

• Increase says:

It also helps that Wealthy women are the ones that can buy tickets. Lets just say they can buy some help woth their appearance.

• usaalltheway says:

I can speak to this being Brazilian and having spent YEARS of my life in the country: it’s the cameraman.

There are amazingly beautiful women in Brazil but there is an equal part of hideous women as well.

The real issue is not foreign women but American women. Something happened here about 15 years or so and our women just got ugly and nasty.

• HoboMike says:

I’m so afraid to comment on this.

And yet you did.

Rule number one in life: If you want to get laid, you never say anything about women they won’t like.

Yet, it is the truth. Women can deal with it.

• JayAre says:

It’s not just the Brazilian games it’s all the games. Very impressive work from the camera crew

• chris says:

What??? You’re hanging around the wrong women

24. Ali Dia says:

Atmosphere looks incredible. What on earth am I doing here at work?

25. Lu says:

2 great saves on both ends

26. JayAre says:

Amazing save. Come on Mexico! Beat the host!!!

27. CB says:

I’m entertained. Very Shakesperean

28. JayAre says:

Goal line technology works again.Finally…What took Soccer so long?

• Mr_A says:

It takes time for the FIFA crew to switch strategies, and they needed to get accustomed to making bad offside calls and preparing the world for bad PKs, instead of just disallowing and declaring goals like they used to.

29. Mr_A says:

Case in point: Brazilian striker falls down after a light touch, only to realize it was his teammate that touched him, so he hits his head in frustration. Minute 38-39

• usaalltheway says:

I missed that but knowing Brazilians that fits the bill.

This game is very exciting but they are hacking the $hit out here other.

• Nate Dollars says:

no one has to be convinced that brasilians dive; i just don’t think they’re substantially worse than mexico.

• JoeL says:

Agreed. It cheapens the game when you see these exaggerated flops.

30. Patrick2 says:

Ochoa came to play.

31. Fredo says:

Memo stepping up. I wouldn’t have guessed that.

32. Mason says:

Memo is standing on his head today.

33. Mr_A says:

Memo Ochoa looking like MOTM right now,

34. usaalltheway says:

So far it’s a great game. Both teams are playing dirty and flopping quite a bit but it’s entertaining football.

Mexico went from being the worse to the best team in our region pretty fast.

I still say they take it 2-0. Their goalie will be MOTM.

35. blokhin says:

I see Rafa Marquez writhing in pain on the ground and I feel nothing…nothing…

36. Francois says:

I can’t believe how poor Brazil look. They do not even look like contenders.

37. JayAre says:

I believe that Mexico will win. Go Concacaf

38. Diego's Maradoughnuts says:

Mexico looking stronger and stronger

39. cattenaccio says:

Brazil is getting counterattacks but I have a feeling Julio Cesar is going to make a mistake here. Anyone else feeling that?

• blokhin says:

and their defenders are pushing very high….gotta figure mexico gets a chance to counter

40. Fredo says:

Getting good.

41. Byrdman says:

I have to laugh when i see Guardado asking for a card for consistent infringement, and then not 40 seconds later he commits at least his 6 th foul of the game.

42. Andy in Atlanta says:

Ochoa pulling a Kasey Keller circa 1998 against Brazil….

43. ATX_Colin says:

Brazil is really laking a good striker, Fred is the most un Brazilian striker I have seen, dude gives them nothing.

44. Mr_A says:

Ochoa has some pretty big gloves. Puts them to good use…

45. blokhin says:

Marcelo and Luiz look like the most dangerous plaers going forward for Brazil…not sure it’s agood sign

• Increase says:

Neymar is doing rather well now too.

Luiz also feels like half a second away from a yellow or Red on every play he makes.

46. Byrdman says:

Chicharito will get the game winner

47. Mr_A says:

Brazil just missed their best scoring opportunity from an offside non-call. Mexico has been defending well. Brazil might need a Mexican to be red-carded off to win.

48. Andy in Atlanta says:

Thiago Silva showed some class there… late on the challenge…knew it, took the yellow card like a man and apologized to the player he fouled hard… Chicarioto accepted…wish football could always be like that.

49. JoeL says:

Ochoa already had Man of the Match award going for him but his last save sealed it.

• blokhin says:

he has had a great game, but so many of these were hit right at him….so does he get full credit for all of them?

• run says:

Are you blaming him for not saving the shots that weren’t taken?

• JoeL says:

Absolutely. You can call Ochoa lucky or just knowing where to be on some of those plays but he gets credit for all saves.

• Mr_A says:

Brazil could have used better shots, sure, but a lot of goalies jump when they need to stand, stand when they need to jump, stay when they need to go out…. he had lots of opportunities to lose on the ro-sham-bo, and he didn’t lose any of them. Well deserved on his part.

• Mason says:

How many times – in this tournament alone – have we seen goals that have caused us to say, “A better keeper would have saved that.”

50. JayAre says:

USA heart attack now Mexico heart attack!!!! Come on CONCACAF. Ochoa MOTM

• El Comandante says:

Do not even try to say that USMNT played yesterday like Mexico today. Mexico dominated the second half save the corner kick and tied the host nation, and Brazil for that matter. Mexico is a world class team (Even Klinsmann said that once) as opposed to always “bunker down” USMNT.

• slowleftarm says:

Thank you for trolling but Mexico is in no way “world class” and they were seconds away from watching this world cup at home if not for the benevolence of the USMNT.

• Ted Tran says:

This is true, sometimes I wish we should of just thrown the game like how it was planned, but leave to Gulati to take that Televi$a money, typical sell out.

• Jack says:

Seems like a lot of US fans are trying to pull for Mexico because in the big picture Concacaf is viewed poorly. Many people calling for at least the half spot to be taken from the region (which came in pretty handy this time for you). However with one result Mexico fans seem to want to make it impossible to root for them.

• usaalltheway says:

I don’t know if “world-class” is the right word but their performance today speaks for itself.

The did in fact dominate during many times and proved that they have class on the field. They weren’t angels but they took it to Brazil and made me a believer.

• Mason says:

Mexico could still crash out. Assume that Croatia and Brazil win out. That would put those two through, and Mexico on a plane home. Much remains to be decided.

51. Mr_A says:

Marcelo got one against Croatia. This is good payback, since he went for the dive instead of the ball.

52. blokhin says:

lol at mexican announcers complaining about another team flopping

53. Bac says:

So this Ochoa dude is having the game of his life kinda sorta…

54. Shawn says:

wow this 0-0 draw was actually a good watch

55. YO says:

Apparently, Brasil still has a bit of a hang-over from their last win.

56. DB says:

So, who had Mexico with two shutouts through two games?

Bueller….Bueller…

57. JoeL says:

Congrats to Mexico for an outstanding game against the host nation.

58. El Comandante says:

Unlike USMNT, Mexico is not only the best CONCACAF team, but a World Class Act. They can go to Brazil and dominate the home team like that. What a game for Mexico. They should’ve won.

• Increase says:

Oh my, Lets not start. We all know half of Mexico’s problems are mental. Sadly that’s part of the game too. Mexico Fan’s needs to shut up until the next time the US and Mexico play because right now. We are better than because We won the last time we played. Its that simple.

• usaalltheway says:

I actually agree with El Comandante on this one.

Mexico was amazing today. What is most impressive is how fast they turned it around from qualifying.

The US on the other hand…yeah, the win was amazing but you can’t be happy with the run of play. In fact, there was almost nothing to be happy with apart from the two goals.

• JoeL says:

Agreed, please El Comandante let’s not get carried away especially when it comes to being a World Class Act team.

• Ted Tran says:

Wasn’t the last time we play Mex a draw? Against their C+ vs our A-?

• Increase says:

I was thinking competitive games but yes. That was a 2-2.

• UclaBruinGreat says:

“C+ vs our A-?” Way to subjectively give random/useless grades to try and frame your argument Ted. I’m curious, can you please show me what USA’s B- teams looks like? What about our B+ team? What does Mexico’s B+ team look like? Do you see how silly you sound?

Bottom line it was USA’s MLS team vs Mexico’s LigaMX team.

USA in undefeated vs Mexico in the Klinsmann era. I believe that it over a 4 or 5 game stretch. Also, USA finished first in the Hex, and won the Gold Cup. Mexico finished 4th in the Hex (almost didn’t qualify if not for USA), and didn’t even make the final of the Gold Cup. Right now USA has the bragging rights and the tittle of the best Concacaf team. Simple as that.

• El Comandante says:

I believe that if Mexico did not beat Panama in Mexico City and New Zealand in home and away games, they would not have qualified. Panama lost the qualification to Mexico because they did not even tie Mexico at El Azteca. Am I right?

• Mason says:

Sure, but had Mexico beaten Costa Rica, or even drawn them on the final match day, they would have been clear of Panama and the US result against Panama wouldn’t have matter*. They failed to to that and relied on Tio Sam’s pride.

Face it Mexibro: El Tri had a terrible qualifying campaign and are only there because US subs decided not to step on the ball and wait.

(*Or beaten Jamaica/USA/CR/Honduras at home, or Panama on the road.)

• Clover362 says:

Don’t think it’s fair to say Mexico should have won, Ochoa stood on his head the whole game and got lucky on that set piece in the 86 minute. If mexico is the best team in Concacaf why did they finish 4th? With that said tey are clearly in great form for this tournament and so far have avoided the injury bug that seems to have taken hold at the US camp.

• usaalltheway says:

That’s the whole point: they finished 4th and yet play like this? It’s because they are truly good.

It’s horrible to admit but Mexico is the best team in the region. The US is far from first.

Congratulations Mexico!! You made a believer out of me.

• El Comandante says:

More Gold Cups? Mexico.
        Head to head? Mexico.
        Any Confederations Cup? Mexico
        Olympic Games? Mexico
        Under 17? Mexico (twice)
        Can play in WC against host team 5 time champions and dominate? Mexico

• Increase says:

Dude, We beat Spain in 2009. 1 year before they won the WC.

It’s meaningless.

All those wins you got on the USA in the 1970s and 1980s.

Meaningless

Stop trying to ruin any positive feelings US fans have towards Mexico by bragging about how awesome your 0-0 Draw was.

• JayAre says:

Remind me. When was the last time Mexico beat the US again?

• Citronomics says:

I dunno. When? Seriously..?

• El Comandante says:

More Gold Cups? Mexico.

Head to head? Mexico.

Any Confederations Cup? Mexico

Olympic Games? Mexico

Under 17? Mexico (twice)

Can play in WC against host team 5 time champions and dominate? Mexico

• Mason says:

You didn’t dominate. Maybe the last thirty minutes, but definitely not the first half. Your GK stood on his head and got you a point.

Don’t blow it against Croatia.

• Jack says:

Before Klinsmann got there.

• Ted Tran says:

I believe it was in the Gold Cup final 2011 (4-2). Almost 3 years ago.

• Mason says:

If Ochoa doesn’t make five top-drawer saves, you lose. Each of those saves was an equal or better scoring opportunity than anything the US gave up.

59. JayAre says:

A tie is just as good as a Win in Mexico’s eye’s!!!

60. Matle says:

I thought Mexico was going to get killed by Brazil?

61. Byrdman says:

As well as Mexico has played they still need a win or tie probably vs. croatia to advance. Great WC so far

• Mr_A says:

Yeah, I figure Croatia should beat Mex and advance on plain points or goal differential (in case they tie Cameroon). But Mexico looks good right now.

62. usaalltheway says:

How about THAT game???????

The scoreline doesn’t give it credit.

Mexico > Brazil in my mind. They showed some serious class. And their keeper. Best in the Cup thus far?

• El Comandante says:

• Mason says:

Really? How many Mexican scoring chances were there? I don’t get excited about launching shots from 20+ yards. That was a quintessentially Mexican game: lots of harmless possession. The difference was Memo. Without him, MEX gets curb stomped.

63. YO says:

What does this say about Brasil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DB says:

The same things people said after the Croatia game…they don’t really look that good, and needed a bit of ‘help’ to get the result.

This El Comandante character is getting a little carried away. Good performances thus far from El Tri, no doubt, but pump the brakes a bit.

I will say this Herrera cat seems to be in one of those runs managers get on sometimes where every move they make is the correct one. Keep in mind, Ochoa was not considered the prohibitive starter a few weeks ago…and he had the cajones to bench the terribly out-of-form Chicharito.

• JayAre says:

Two games now and they aren’t dominating like they did in the Confederations cup. A better team might expose them.

• away goals says:

It says we should all make sweeping generalizations based on a single group stage game because that has never been a bad idea in the past.

• Marcelo Balboa's Mustache says:

+1 :) One good game is something to be proud of- not something to rub in everyone’s faces. Let’s recall that Asian powerhouse New Zealand was undefeated (three ties) in the last world cup.

Besides Brazil is traditionally a slow starter. They’ll start pulling it together in the knock-out rounds.

64. usaalltheway says:

Mexico just proved in on the field: they are truly our region’s best.

They come to Brazil and go head-to-head against the 5 time champs and nearly steal the victory. In fact, I would say Mexico was the better team. Brazil had it’s moments but they spend huge stretches on their heels, getting pushed around.

I didn’t get his name but their number 7 was amazing and of course their goalie was MOTM.

Brazil had their chances but couldn’t get it done.

Mexico > Brazil > US

• Jack says:

Starting to wish Zusi never scored that goal.

• blokhin says:

they only thing to contradict your premise are facts… US is better than Mexico because they beat Mexico more often than the other way around… you can find all the anlges and arbitrary criteria you want, but the fact remains that US is superior to Mexico on the field and has been superior to Mexico for at least twelve years-Mexico had a little window from 2009-2011 when results broke their way but the rest of the time they’ve been owne by the US

• El Comandante says:

More Gold Cups? Mexico.

Head to head? Mexico.

Any Confederations Cup? Mexico

Olympic Games? Mexico

Under 17? Mexico (twice)

Can play in WC against host team 5 time champions and dominate? Mexico

• usaalltheway says:

I don’t get why everyone is getting so angry about this.

Mexico had an AMAZING game. Their level of play was vastly superior against a better opponent than the US. The US was bossed around and nearly ended in a tie. Mexico played Brazil in Brazil and can’t get ANY respect or credit from US fans?

Why not give credit where credit is due?

Too many people on here drinking the hateorade.

• away goals says:

The credit mexico are due is this: congratulations, mexico, amazing match.

But at no point does a single game prove anything about who the best team in the region is. That’s why the swiss weren’t declared best team in europe when they beat spain in 2010.

Based on your claims here and regarding bradley, you clearly don’t have a thorough understanding of sample size.

• Mason says:

“Why not give credit where credit is due?”

Good keeping, Memo. Everyone else owes him a beer.

Fight it all you want.

I actually hate admitting it but Mexico is the better team. Their game tonight proves it.

Playing Brazil in Brazil THAT way and you get all angry? Why?

Good job Mexico! I wish the US could play like that.

• Josh says:

Not really, memo was just playing out of him mind and saved them

• El Comandante says:

Agreed. Mexico is a truly skilled and brave team that can play toe to toe with the best teams in the World. I forgot to mention, they almost won one Copa America.

• slyboy says:

You sure love hyperbole. Cut it out, you are growing tiresome. Mexico played an amazing game but that is not how soccer works.

2009 confederations cup was not not mean the USA was suddenly a better team with Spain.

• Citronomics says:

To Mexico’s credit, they did push the action for a good chunk of the second half. However, in my view (respectfully), to state that “Mexico was the better team” reads like hyperbole. Yes, Julio Caesar was tested a couple of times, but Brazil was the squad for most (not all) of the match that owned the positive play. Now, was Brazil exhibiting a much higher class of play, nope.

Cheers buddy

That sounds fine to me.

Being Brazilian myself, I have to say I was amazed with Mexico. They pushed and pushed and fought through it all.

It isn’t hyperbole. Mexico was the better team.

• slowleftarm says:

Why are US fans arguing with these trolls?

• Mason says:

Well… ROK v RUS doesn’t start for another half hour.

I wonder if we’ll get Putin-trolls?

• Marcelo Balboa's Mustache says:

Dude, you need to change your moniker. May I suggest something along the lines of LoveMeSomeElTri.

65. Tim S. says:

The strange thing about this result, though, is that it really does not change much if Croatia beats Cameroon like it should. With a likely Brazil victory against Cameroon in the last match, the Croatia/Mexico game could be for second place and if they lose it, Mexico will find themselves home after the group stages despite looking good in these first two matches.

• DB says:

What are you talking about? This result clearly catapulted Mexico into the world’s Top 5!

I swear, El Tri fans have to be the world’s most bi-polar fan base. God help us if they lose to Croatia.

That is a very talented side, but until they show any sort of consistency it’s hard to get worked up about their “greatness.”

And the argument about “the best team in CONCACAF” is pointless unless this is a regional competition. Matchups, form and many other factors can skew perception…and it’s hard not to mention Costa Rica, a side that has been on the rise for awhile now.

• Jack says:

Going into this tournament there was a good amount of talk from outside that Concacaf didn’t deserve 3 spots much less 3 and a half (which came in handy for Mexico).

• slowleftarm says:

Asia is the region that deserves to have spots taken away. 4.5 spots? I know a lot of people live there but the AFC’s performance at past world cups have been pretty awful with the exception of 2002, when Japan/South Korea hosted.

• Mo says:

AFC stinks, even with Australia added Japan & SK work very hard, but they’re not talented enough to beat the best teams

• Jack says:

I agree, i just think good performances from Concacaf continue to make that case.

• away goals says:

It’s actually a huge point for mexico now they can draw croatia and not have to worry about any tiebreakers.

66. Patrick2 says:

Ugh…lets put this which team is better stuff aside…for CONCACAF, except for the Honduras slip up, there is a LOT to hold the head up high so far.

• Jack says:

Seriously, lets face it, to the rest of the world being the best in Concacaf doesn’t mean a lot more then being the best in AFC and much more credit is given to CAF then us.

67. El Comandante says:

I am not a Mexico fan. I am a USMNT fan. I just feel the truth based on facts must be told. Mexico could go all the way to the semis. After today I would not be surprised if that was the case.

• DB says:

That statement also proves you are a troll.

There needs to be an ignore feature on this site.

• Mason says:

Mexico could crash out of with a loss to Croatia. Don’t get of yourself mexi-bro.

• UclaBruinGreat says:

People like “El Comandante” are a product of Ives writing for GOAL. It was only a matter of time before all the trolls on GOAL figured out Ives has his own website that is USA-centric. Get ready for way more people like him. The fact that you can change/makeup whatever username you want on this site won’t help. The key is to ignore them and not feed them. Resist the urge to debate them. They seek attention. If not this website will turn exactly to what GOAL is. All you will see is stuff like this:

“Mexico is world class!! USA s\/cks!! St\/pid Americ\/nts! Most USA fans are just centro-Americans that root for USA because their team s\/cks! hahahah”

• Josh says:

I agree, was worried about the same thing when Ives started writing for the land of trolls. The whole reason I found soccer by Ives is because I hated sites like Goal.

• El Comandante says:

Bro, why all the hatred. I am a USMNT fan as I stated and don’t even speak Spanish. I just want to point out that the USMNT has a lot of ground to gain before they are even compared to Mexico. The fact thaUSMNT plays Mexico so well should make us proud, but please let’s stick to the reality so that we can better ourselfs (USMNT that is).

+ 10000000

There are WAY TOO MANY people on here taking this way too to heart.

The reactions are simply amazing. My guess is that most people on here have too little going on internally and project onto the USMNT.

Mexico played a vastly superior team, under much more difficult circumstances and played much better than the USMNT. Why so many take that as a personal attack on them personally is beyond me. Just watch the reactions to this post.

I am with you El Comandante. The USMNT has been terrible under JK and it showed on the field yesterday. They barely got out of the game with the win. The were bossed around most of the game and if it hadn’t been for one quick movement from one of our best players, Ghana wouldn’t have lost.

It’s just a game but you couldn’t tell by most of the posters on here.

I for one am LOVING this Cup. It’s too bad so many on here are just looking to get angry and argue. So many lost souls. So many immature people.

• Nate Dollars says:

the reactions are probably “amazing” to you because you keep saying ridiculous things.

“The USMNT has been terrible under JK”? so, i’m assuming they finished behind mexico in quals because mexico is “world class”?

none of that makes any sense. memo ochoa played a spectacular game, and mexico did themselves proud. your over-the-top statements are what is driving other people crazy.

68. Patrick2 says:

Also, Golf Clap for the Refs…they weren’t perfect, but the game was fast and hard fought enough that they had plenty of chances to slip up in a major way. Yet, they managed not to become a part of the conversation at the end of the match.

• Mr_A says:

Amen. (And by not calling, they made a few gratuitous dives look really silly.) Especially Marcelo near the end, with a clear chance his instincts made him fall down, when Dempsey would’ve powered through and taken a shot.

69. Animasta says:

Yo, why are we all fighting with each other again? Both of our teams got good results, Costa Rica got a good result, let’s enjoy this CONCACAF domination!

Yes sir!!!

That is my whole point. Mexico was great today!

Too bad the US played so poorly yesterday. Maybe things will turn around and Sunday will be a game to never forget.

Godo job Mexico!!!!

70. slowleftarm says:

Personally, I can’t understand any Concacaf solidarity. What’s in it for the US? Nothing. Who cares if they take the half qualifying spot away. We’re never going to need that. That would be an embarrassment.

• UclaBruinGreat says:

I would argue that the solidarity comes from the simple “root for the underdog” phenomenon. Costa Rica vs Uruguay (CR was the underdog.)
      Honduras vs France (HON was the underdog.)
      Mexico, I don’t root for Mexico at all. I do root for the Centro-American and Caribbean teams when they play a non-Concacaf team.

• Marcelo Balboa's Mustache says:

The thing we get out of it is a nearly negligible quantity of international respect for our region. It’s not something important, but in games where I have no other rooting interest it’s the deciding factor. However I will say I’m having trouble supporting Costa Rica after Joel Campbell’s Besler-gate flop. If it were just him, I could get past it, but the fact that the whole country embraced him (blaming us for getting it on film?!?!) for doing the least sporting, most gutless, thing I’ve ever witnessed in a professional sporting event sickens me.

• JayAre says:

I agree with you. I tried hard all game but these Mexican fans!!!!!!! I just can’t do it anymore.

• Nate Dollars says:

+1, still haven’t heard a good argument for that.

71. El Comandante says:

Here’s an analysis not including 1990 where USMNT was three and out and 1986 when USMNT failed to qualify and Mexico got decent results.

From 1994 to 2010 (5 World Cups where both team have played)

USMNT: 4W 5D 10L 18GS 27GA -9GD
    2 round of 16, 1 Quarterfinals

Mexico: 6W 7D 7L 25GS 25 GA 0GD
    5 round of 16
    Every time made it out of the group

*I forgot to mention, Mexico has two (2) Runners-up and three (3) third places finishes in the Prestigious Copa America.

• Josh says:

Ignore the troll, he came from Goal.com. Thanks Ives

• Mason says:

Call me the next time MEX beats the US. Until then, you are inferior.

Stay classy Mason.

It’s just a game man. You need to mellow out a little man.

Mexico played well. Better than the US did yesterday. Give them the credit they are due.

• Mason says:

Did I hurt your feelings? Does the fact that MEX hasn’t beaten the US in three years, and rarely has in the last decade and a half hurt your coochie? Get over it…

You are lost.

Peace be with you lost soul. I hope you find whatever it is you are looking for in this life.

It’s just a game. You are taking to this to a completely different, unnecessary level.

Let’s just enjoy the World Cup.

• Marcelo Balboa's Mustache says:

Fascinating information. I forget, who did the USA beat to reach the Quarters (you know, that round I don’t see in your Mexico resume above)?

72. JayAre says:

Who do the people of Crimea cheer for? Russia or South Korea?

73. usaalltheway says:

So, this game is coming along nicely.

South Korea is pretty good. Russia, not so much. Although they seem to be picking it up.

Yeah I’m kind of surprised how good South Korea looks

• Mr_A says:

Great on keeping possession, running and passing and even jumping. Not so great on the “aim for the back of the net” part.

Me too.

Both Japan and South Korea are pretty damn good. Plus they generally play attractively and have lots of class (although they aren’t angels or perfect).

I would love to see one of them advance. I enjoy watching them.

74. JayAre says:

Wow What a mistake by the Russian goalie.

75. manicmessiah says:

Kerzhakov will be getting a pretty nice gift from his keeper I think.