Gomez set to sign with Tigres UANL

HerculezGomezXolosClubTijuanaPractice1 (ClubTijuana)

By FRANCO PANIZO

After a rough first season at Club Tijuana, Herculez Gomez is on the move with the hopes of earning more playing time.

Gomez is currently undergoing medicals with Tigres UANL and is set to join the club ahead of its Apertura campaign in Liga MX. There is no word yet on whether Gomez is signing with Tigres via a loan or an outright transfer, but he will reunite with fellow American and former Pachuca teammate Jose Torres at the club.

The 32-year-old forward did not enjoy the type of debut season with Xolos that he surely envisioned when he signed with them last summer. Gomez made just 10 starts in 25 appearances across all competitions for Tijuana, and all three of his goals for the club came in CONCACAF Champions League play.

Tigres is the latest Liga MX club Gomez will suit up for. Aside from playing for Tijuana and Pachuca, the well-traveled striker has also represented Santos Laguna, Estudiantes Tecos and Puebla since leaving MLS back in 2009.

In addition to Gomez, Tigres will reportedly be acquiring FC Dallas and Under-20 Mexico goalkeeper Richard Sanchez.

What do you think of Gomez joining Tigres UANL? Do you see him thriving there? Wishing an MLS club would just make him an offer that he couldn’t refuse?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, MLS- FC Dallas. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Gomez set to sign with Tigres UANL

1. timothy says:

So were Dallas able to cash in on Sanchez?

• Dace says:

Wish I knew, I’ve been looking forward to seeing him join the first team for some time, but with Fernandez being so young and already the Peruvian #1, they probably decided to cash in after his loan in Ft. Lauderdale.

Still, 14 apps and 3 clean sheets (while on loan) is a decent percentage for a 20 year old. I’d be surprised if we actually let him go, I expect another loan spell or two before we decide to take the cash.

2. Quit whining about soccer in the US says:

Still looking for something equal to his ole’ Sounders.
    Not gonna happen, there is no equal…only inferior.

I do like Gomez, I hope he does well……

• beto says:

Ah he was on loan in Seattle back in A-League days!? Since then he has found some pretty good (better) spots in MLS, LigaMX and Concacaf Champions League!

Tigres, while not in the CCL this year are a still pretty good team! Hopefully he gets PT next to Paulido and in front of JFT.

• Helium-3 says:

No way he beats out Villa out to start. He is at best a 2nd half sub for them. Lobos plays as attacking mf behind the top 2; Pulido (best all around Mexican fwd outside of Vela) will pair up with Villa.

• GW says:

Hopefully he’ll put in a few great years. By then, MLS may have a team in Vegas he can come home to.

3. Nandez says:

Torres and Gomez me gusta

4. NASL TO EL PASO TX 915 says:

Monterrey and Tijuana are pretty good spots to live, and Monterrey has very good looking women :)
    I thought Hercules would be in Houston, Dallas by now, he’s love by the mexican fans.

• CplDaniel says:

Monterrey has very good looking women…two girls moved to my high school from monterrey…So beautiful that I learned Spanish starting right then and there.

At Tigres it will be nice to have Herc. I saw one of their games a couple months ago and an opposition player looked to throw a punch right at Gringo’s face. I believe they both got Red Carded, but next time a boxing match starts on the field, I’d love to have Hercules on my side!!

• NASL TO EL PASO TX 915 says:

Your funny
        Have you ever been to Monterrey, I have and it’s like living in America and they have a lot of rich people and the women are pretty good :)
        But the richest teams in ligaMX are, ( no particular order)
        America own by televisa, chivas, Cruz azul, Monterrey rayados, Monterrey tigres, atlas which was bought last year by tvazteca , querretaro which was barely bought by a tv station and newspaper company, Leon and Pachuca have the same owners and Carlos slim is part owner, Veracruz has oil money, Tijuana a lot of casino money.
        Not bad for ligamx

5. Maykol says:

Damaged goods.

• Maykol says:

Hey hey now, the real Maykol, aka me, is a huge Gomez fan.

• Jay says:

Herc prove himself too many times one more
      Time will not be a problem .to him
      Hill make it his a worrier not a quitter .

6. Chucks says:

Time for golf, like Johnny B did.

Subs in Tigres never play, so we’ll see him in CopaMX at best.

7. Grunt says:

Didn’t Gomez arrive at TJ injured? Seems stats don’t tell the whole story.

Frankly, if an unproven kid can “earn” his way to Brazil, someone like Gomez should have gotten more opportunity.

But then the same could be said for a few others that got left behind…

8. Kay says:

Agreed he should have been call up
    To Brazil be fought so hard for USA to
    Qualified that he deserves to be call up.

9. argh says:

he shouldn’t have moved last summer. that killed his chances at the NT.

should focus on saving up that cash.