Who should the USMNT start vs. Azerbaijan?

USMNT Training Sao Paulo, Brazil

By IVES GALARCEP

SAN FRANCISCO — The U.S. Men’s National Team is ready to play the first game of the pre-World Cup send-off series on Tuesday night and there is still some question as to just what starting lineup Jurgen Klinsmann will deploy at the World Cup.

Plenty can change between now and the opening match against Ghana on June 16, but the team’s open training session on Monday evening seemed to shed some light on the starting lineup would could see on Tuesday.

There weren’t any real surprises, with Fabian Johnson looking the option at right back, with DaMarcus Beasley currently edging out Tim Chandler at left back. The competition at centerback continues to be between Geoff Cameron and Omar Gonzalez, with Cameron looking like a good bet to start on Tuesday.

So what does the full U.S. starting lineup look like for Tuesday? Here is what the projected squad looks like heading into the match:

PROJECTED USMNT STARTING LINEUP vs. AZERBAIJAN

———————-ALTIDORE————————-

BEDOYA————DEMPSEY——————-ZUSI

————–JONES————–BRADLEY————

BEASLEY—BESLER——-CAMERON—-JOHNSON

————————HOWARD————————–

Some thoughts:

Beasley gets the nod over Chandler, but chances are we will see some of Chandler on Tuesday, and potentially a start at some point during the send-off series.

Aron Johannsson and Chris Wondolowski will be battling for that “first forward off the bench” role.

Cameron is ahead of Omar Gonzalez at the moment by all accounts.

Jurgen Klinsmann stated that he plans on using his subs liberally, which means we could see all six subs used. That should hopefully mean some minutes for Julian Green to start showing what he can do.

—–

What do you think of the projected starting lineup? What lineup would you like to see against Azerbaijan? Which player are you most interested in watching play?

This entry was posted in Featured, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

243 Responses to Who should the USMNT start vs. Azerbaijan?

1. Fredrick says:

This is going to be good. I can’t wait. Let’s go SBI folks.

• Rory says:

This is a joke match that will do nothing do the team but swell some egos. We better win this one by four goals or it’s a disappointment.

• Fate says:

I’m rooting for an injury in the forward pool. Nothing too serious, just one that will sideline someone for a month or so… That would make for a great awkward phone call!

• STX81 says:

Way to support our boys! I’m hoping that whoever represent the US has a strong showing in Brazil.

• Rory Miller says:

Torn… I’d feel bad for someone that got injured but I can think a couple changes to this roster would make us a better team. And yes, primarily it would involve swapping Landon for Davis or Wondo. If Altidore is hurt I suppose everyone expects Boyd to be brought in to play Altidore’s position… it’s not like we can expect Klinsy to have a new idea at this point… although depending on how his new diamond plays he might already be tinkering with things.

This roster feels like a man who realizes he isn’t ready so he’s just going to throw up some radical ideas and hope he gets lucky… reminds me of Sampson’s 3-6-1 formation.

• Brett says:

I’m guessing Terrence Boyd will be thrilled to receive that phone call.

• Matt C says:

But do you think Brian McBride will even pick up the phone..and has he stayed in shape?

• Luke says:

Really! Your actually rooting for Altidore, AJ or Wondo to be injured so your favoritie player can be called up?!?!?! You are pathetic!

• Skyman says:

How do you feel about your referenced player missing the beginning of qualifiers, because he needs a break?

The more I meditate on it the more I’m with Klinnsman 100%

• KingGoogleyEye says:

Careful there Skyman: meditation is what put Landon on Klinsmann’s black list!
            ;)

• Dan says:

As opposed to yedlin, green, chandler or brooks. Who with 6 caps combined did nothing to get us there. They haven’t earned it and half have no first team experience let alone international

• soccerhorn says:

Yup, I can hear that awkward phone call now. “Alo, Terri mein freunde! Vas is los?”

After last week’s debacle, no way on earth does Klinsmann call in Donovan. Ever. Again. Klinsmann has proven himself to be a liar and a coward. By calling in Donovan, he’d only be proving it to himself, which will never happen.

• AS says:

This is something most countries do – in regards to the build-up to a Major tournament. It’s great for the psyche and also allows coaches to utilize their tactics against a team that they should dominate. That is to say that Azerbaijan (doubt I spelled that right) is no slouch – this is a team that has played against noth Portugal and Germany recently. In addition, Vogts (the new US Advisor) is their coach. I am sure Vogts will make his team play in ways that will benefit the USA. At first glance – this match did appear like a “cake” game but upon further observation it will provide a lot of help to the USA (especially since we are still working out our backline). Also, Belgium just whipped up on Luxembourg. Nothing quite gets the confidence going than not only winning but punching in some goals too. Lets hope for an entertaining game that will see the USA begin the foundation to a great World Cup.

• Josh D says:

Thank you for having perspective. Az. are fantastic at parking the bus and will probably do so tonight. I doubt we’ll face any time who’s scared enough of us to park the bus, but if a team is holding a lead or result against us and playing defensively, we could use the practice.

Who knows, their coach is now one of ours so they might play a different way to help us practice against different scenarios.

Lots of countries are playing very weak sides. It’s a good way to test how much our players want to start and who’s in form.

• Louis Z says:

I don’t see us beating them by much, we may even tie! But I do see us controlling the game.

• STX81 says:

Well I guess Portugal must be horrible because they were only able to beat a 10-man Azerbaijan team 2-0 last year. I expect the US to win as well but I never expect scoring blowouts.

• EQeki says:

and tied Israel both games 2-2 in qualifying

• Rory Miller says:

World Cup favorites Israel? Nevermind then, I will drink the Klinsy Kool-Aid if we manage a tie.

But in all seriousness, 62 games into a World Cup cycle and we have almost as many questions now as we had at game 1. Yes, time and age have caused some of those, but there is no excuse for hobbling together a backline involving three players with less than 11 caps.

• Brett says:

Someone has no idea who Azerbaijan is. 2-0 or 3-1 would be perfectly fine results.

• sregis says:

These games are about firming up a couple positions v. 3 WC opponents and getting the team to jell. Winning big now means very little in brazil.- my juicy rationalization of the day.

• Matt says:

So you’re going to totally ignore the fact that they only gave up 11 goals in 10 games during qualification?

• Paul says:

We can score on anyone, as we’ve proven over the last two World Cup cycles. The question is our ability to stop opponents from scoring. Quite a switch from a couple decades ago, when we could play fair defense against anyone but couldn’t score.

• PD says:

Please share your in-depth scouting profile of this team. I’d love to know what you base this assumption of suck-age off of.

• The Imperative Voice says:

The US should start a talking dog that is upset Landon was cut.

2. LivingUnder-A-Rock says:

Where’s LandyCakes?

3. evan says:

Is this game gonna be on tv? If so, time and channel?

4. Nick F says:

Does anybody else think that Julio, Dirk, an probably ExPat are all the same person?

• Fredrick says:

I do, and Carlos, Biff, The Garrincha, Charles, moon dog, and OMG too. My head is spinning.

• Lady Dee says:

Time for a lady to speak here. It is the merrymaker FRANK.

• The Garrincha says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, HAHAHAHAHAHA
          Wow Lady Dee this is really twisted.
          You mean to tell us that?.
          Cap Frank?, is Expat DJ, who is Dirk, who is Julio?…
          HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Ughhh.
          Ah Capital could be Captain Frank Expat etc? maybe…

• QuakerOtis says:

Not certain about Dirk, but yes to Julio. Or was Dirk the old new name?

• Jack says:

yeah they are all the same person

• Jack says:

Also they are all actually Jurgen Klinsmann himself

• The Garrincha says:

Hey Jack, You really do know Jack.
          Anyway, I do truly hope you realize there is only
          one El Garrincho. at your service.

• bryan says:

same people most likely. i’m sure Ives can see by looking at the IP address.

• Diego's Maradoughnuts says:

It would not shock me if there were fewer than 20 in total. Nor would it shock me if Ives himself was the worst offender. Acutally, I would think it was awesome.

• Josh D says:

He used to post often here back in the day. It’d be funny if he was drumming up conversations in disguise.

• Nick F says:

• WG says:

Definitely Dirk and Julio and also Jayare and Lu and jack from state farm and dozens of others. expat on some threads accounts for more than a quarter of the posts and does so by using a pencil stuck in her mouth to rapidly tap her posts on the keyboard because she’s hard to control and her handlers have to restrain her arms and hands with a strait-jacket. Might surprise some, but take a close look at gw’s recent posts. One and the same. And remember SanFran 415 and Chi-Town last year. That’s right.

• TheFrenchOne says:

ExPat and SanFran are definitely one and the same. that slightly smug yet uninformed tone is unmistakable

• The Garrincha says:

Frenchy, expat DJ. may be a lot of things
          like many of us, but all of him most assuredly is not uninformed.
          I would say the writing style gives it away.
          although that could change?.

5. Bradley's Missing Mop says:

I like what Ives predicted, and it seems pretty logical. That said, I am sure Klinsi will not do it.

I bet the back 4 includes Brooks, and Cameron gets screwed.

• Bac says:

Jeff Carlisle predicted the same 11

• QuakerOtis says:

Jurgen is hard to predict. But I highly doubt Brooks starts, unless maybe Besler sees the bench. Jurgen knows what he has in Besler, and he likes seeing his tinkerings get a shot. Cameron at CB is his latest new idea, so he’ll want to see what it looks like.

• Bradley's Missing Mop says:

Extreme theory time:

It has occurred to me, that we may see Fabian and Chandler at RB, RM. It may be a way to try and deal with one of the left wingers we will see.

We almost always overload and attack down our left, so I wonder if Klinsi thinks those 2 could lock down their side. And IF that is true, we may see some major changes. I know this seems extreme, but I really do feel we will see something as weird as this.

• Bradley's Missing Mop says:

I swear I didn’t mean for that to say “one of the left wingers”

We will see 3 teams with deadly left sided attacks.

Funny how that happened though.

• Good Jeremy says:

I was thinking the same thing, with them playing interchangeably.

• Hogatroge says:

Now, this is only hearsay, but John Harkes apparently reported that Chandler was struggling in camp.

If that’s NOT the case, however, I’d rather see Chandler on the right side of midfield, with Zusi on the left.

• wood chip zip says:

“Cameron at CB is his latest new idea”. True and also true is it is his latest new idiotic contradiction of himself. Back during qualifying he wouldn’t play Cameron at CB because he wasn’t playing the position for his club. He also wouldn’t play Cameron at RB, the position he was playing for his club. Instead he chose to play Brad Evans at RB, a position he didn’t play for his club and play Cameron at defensive mid, a position he also didn’t play for his club. Now right before the World Cup it is suddenly okay to play Cameron at CB. Yep got it.

6. NOLAJ says:

Would love to see Jozy get some good chances and finish 1 or 2. Need his confidence up soon.

7. Bac says:

Ives, I think you mentioned on your video or your Twitter feed that Fabian could see some time in the midfield. Any thoughts?

• Brad C says:

More of a possibility if Zusi or Bedoya don’t look good.

Also might be a good idea for when they play Ronaldo. Have two good, fast defensive-minded players on his side…

• Bac says:

Well yea, I think there will be a specific look by game 2, but we won’t know what it is

8. Fredrick says:

Why are we talking about Expat and everyone who is him or could be him, or her?

Let’s get to the business at hand, who is starting tomorrow night?

• Brad C says:

More of a possibility if Zusi or Bedoya don’t look good.

• Lil'Zeke says:

A little sour cream will cut the spice, but take care not to curdle it

9. Etranger says:

Jonathan Klinsmann at GK

10. Brad C says:

Beasley makes me a little nervous at LB but he’s probably more comfortable there than Johnson or Chandler and his speed makes up for his mistakes.

I will be watching to see if JK has put the screws on Jones and told him to stay home and let Bradley run the show and get forward.

I say put Johannsson in for Bedoya or Zusi, not just Jozy.

And finally, I want Johannsson’s official entry song to be “Immigrant Song” by Led Zepplin. Come from the land of the ice and snow from the midnight sun where the hot springs flow…

• shawn says:

Did you really just say Beasley is more comfortable at lb than FJ?

• Brad C says:

Doesn’t FJ not play on the left side for his club? And isn’t he right footed?

It was my impression that FJ was out-of-position at LB.

• GW says:

Fabian has played left back, right back and right and left midfield for both club and country.

His preference is to play right midfield or even centrally but he says he’s comfortable wherever he’s needed..

• JayAre says:

Jones gives a lot going forward and Klinsmann can’t just tell him to stay back while Bradley attacks. Bradley and Jones have to get a feel for each other over the friendlies and be more in sync with their roaming.

11. KingGoogleyEye says:

But what about the “SBI Who Would the Fan’s Pick”? Pretty obvious it would be:

—————GREEN———WONDO——————

DAVIS————————————————MIX

———–JONES———–BECKERMAN————

CHANDLER——OMAR——BROOKS———YEDLIN

—————JONATHAN KLINSMANN———–

I can’t imagine that getting any complaints.

12. Fredrick says:

Howard
    Chandler-Besler-Cameron-Johnson
    Jones-Bradley
    Green-Dempsey-Zusi
    Altidore

First subs at 30-35 minutes; Bedoya for Zusi, with Green maybe moving to mid.
    Second half, Brooks for Besler, Yedlin for Johnson.

• shawn says:

This but AJ up top and no subs until half

• Jesse says:

I’m okay with everything but green. I’m not ready to start him at left mid. Let bedoya start, or if you want a bunch of angry fans start davis

• AMP says:

Fun line-up, but that back line needs to be flipped around I think. Besler and Brooks have traditionally played LCB for club and country, and Fabian and Yedlin also both play RB. Chandler does as well, but is just as versatile as FabJo, and could play LB or LM just as comfortably given the reps.

13. Bradley's Missing Mop says:

I would just like to say that I am a little hurt that I have changed my name, due to the sudden increase in Brad’s that have started posting, and no one has told me how clever I am.

It really hurts,

Brad
    (the one from a long time ago, that pretty clearly cheered for the Rapids)

• Fredrick says:

LOL, Expat, you just gave yourself away. But, good to see you.

• KingGoogleyEye says:

Missing Mop: we are all too busy defending Donovan’s honor against the attacks of a 17-year old we had never heard about until last week to be noticing your excellent name switch (which I thought was an alter-ego of the poster Marcelo Balboa’s Mustache).

Why do you hate America?!?

14. FRANK says:

I AM UPDATING RATIINGS SREADSHEET PROBABILITY

15. Bradley's Missing Mop says:

Sorry Fred, I am no Expat. I now live in Cincinnati, and that is a fact, as no one would ever admit to living in Cincinnati, unless it were true.

• Fredrick says:

Sorry Brad, my head is spinning, it seems like everyone who posts a good thing about the team is expat and everyone who posts how bad we are, how bad our coach is, how good Donovan is, are not expat.

I am very confused. I jumped to conclusions.

• Bradley's Missing Mop says:

Actually, you live in Dayton and are ashamed to admit it.

16. Jesse says:

I think Beasley is on the bench Fabian at lb and chandler at rb.

17. Jack says:

I though for sure Klinsmann would have told Beckerman he has to cut his hair if he wants to go to Brazil by now.

• Joey says:

IDK… JK seems to have a thing for crazy hair. He took Yedlin and he’s a terrible defender

18. bizzy says:

I see Nigeria and even Turkey but Azerbaijan???? Why should we risk injury and waste time on a team like AZERBAIJAN (85th FIFA RANKING)???? How about we give the pissed off snubs a call and see a 7-0 game with 67 shots on goal….hahahahahahaha)

—————–Agudelo————–E. Johnson——————–

—————————–Feilhaber————————————–

—Brek Shea—————————————–Donovan——-

—————————–Maurice Edu——————————–

Castillo————Goodson———Orozco———–Evans—-

—————————Joe Bendik————————————-

Coach – Bruce Area

• Jack says:

come on Boyd was closer then Agudelo

• bizzy says:

Hmmm….you are right Jack.

• Joey says:

And there lies the problem. It’s easy to build a list of people like Juan that should have got a serious look but never did while JK focused on his favs. That is what is driving my frustration. I do not believe this is anywhere near the best team that we could have fielded

• Increase says:

Juan didn’t “deserve” a look… he was mediocre at best in Holland.

• Techskillz416 says:

1. I’m pretty sure he scored more goals in less time than Jozy Altidore

2. yes there lies your problem. First off the USSF should never let JK choose a 23 that quickly, the lineup bizzy put out should be the first warmup match/evaluation for at least fringe players or players jk feels will be snubbed. Sadly that team that bizzy put out there probably can beat JK’s squad. It’s more experience and more athletic. To many slow white boys on JK’s squad…bizzy didn’t even put Corona, or Gil, Torres, Boyd, hell a gimped up no match play Adu would be a late sub on lmao.. If JK does not make the quarterfinals even with an extension he should be fired on spot.

• Jack says:

He finished the season stronger then Johannsson did.

• bizzy says:

Ok Azerbaijan are being coached by Berti Vogts (for 7 years!!!!), who happens to be Klinsmanns former coach and mentor, and is the USMNT technical/special advisor. They also played both Portugal and Germany in the 2014 world cup qualifying, something to compare our team to. Hahahahaha……This might be a good game after all.

• White Kix says:

The US friendly tonight should be against this line-up. I think Bizzy’s squad would pull out the victory. Especially if you replace Shea with Nguyen.

• bizzy says:

Oh Yeah…..Especially the way Lee Nyugen is playing with New England, I totally agree

19. Josh says:

I will be at this game. First MNT game since USA v Romania in WC ’94. I don’t if that makes me old school or just a lame can, but pretty excited either way!

• Ali Dia says:

Rad. Scratch that 20 yr itch and get noisy. Have a blast.

• James says:

Im wondering if there will be any negative crowd reaction to JK? Most likely not but it would be great if he was booed…. just to let him know he can’t pull this crap and get away with it

• dman says:

I guess the carp you are referring to is Having the most successful year in USMNT history, and then choosing the 23 players that he wants on the team for the world cup regardless of the legendary status of a player who has admitted to being unable to train effectively, and who had scored exactly 0 goals for his club team at the time he was cut?

yeah, no more of that crap!!

20. stanson says:

This video sums it all up pretty well: link to youtube.com

21. Scott says:

I respect the years of service he has given, but if Backpass Beasley is starting in the World Cup, we are in tons of trouble…

Hoping Timmy Chandler shows enough to supplant him as the left back or right back (thus moving FJ over to LB). If not, we’re screwed…

• Nate says:

Holding on to that 2009 giveaway? Man, thats tough… Do you remember Dempsey’s howler against Honduras in qualifying that same year?

• Scott says:

Don’t even remember the 2009 giveaway…I’m “holding on to” the last 10 games I’ve watched him play for the Nats (specifically, whenever he played left back against Mexico and got torched time and time again).

• wfrw07 says:

Was that the game where they didn’t score, or the game in which they didn’t score? Don’t remember.

• fifawitz1313 says:

I play a drinking game where I drink every time Beasley passes the ball backwards. I have introduced it to my friends. It is notorious now. So passively predictable. For everyone who talks about him being a speedy wing option, I challenge you to tell me the last time he stormed up the wing and took on a defender. He always plays conservatively and never beats anyone off the dribble.

22. bryan says:

i don’t have a problem with this roster for this game. it gives Beasley a chance to show well. i’m sure we’ll see some of Chandler too, which would be great. if this is the starting XI, i’ld like to see the following off the bench:

Chandler, AJ, Wondo, Beckerman, Green, Mix

23. Joe says:

Would this be a likely line-up for the world cup? Of course
    But were playing freaking Azerbaijan.
    Expect some tinkering with some of less featured players.

• KingGoogleyEye says:

“But we’re playing freaking Azerbaijan.” Klinsmann will just make the team scrimmage for 120 minutes that morning…

24. shasta says:

Klinsmann should start Brad Davis and Mix Diskerud because they are both better than Landon Donovan. #TRUTH #HAHAHA

• Ali Dia says:

Hashtags on SBI for some reason. Jonathan Klinsmann loves it. Another new low for us all. I will go fetch us some warm Pabst from the dumpster so we can all celebrate in style.

25. Jompo says:

After the US wins the world cup because of Brad Davis, the song called “Bradley Davis Ears” to the tune of “Bette Davis Eyes” will become a hit single and set a record for amount of time at #1.

26. JakeTheSnake says:

If Brooks starts over Cameron I’ll flip…

27. JakeTheSnake says:

Decent lineup prediction though. I’m very interested to see that back line. I’ll be interested to see in the next few friendlies if Beasley gets bumped off the lineup and Johnson slides over to LB and Timmy gets a nod at RB.

28. Joel J says:

Conspiracy theory, but since it’s Azerbajan, he may start lots of “last to make the plane” guys because they will show well. Maybe: 4-4-2 Diamond:

——————————-Howard—————————–
    Chandler——-Brooks————–Besler——–Johnson
    ——————————–Jones——————————
    ————Zusi———————————-Green———-
    ——————————-Bradley—————————–
    ——————-Jozy—————–Dempsey—————-

• QuakerOtis says:

Not bad. And with Klinsmann, who knows. I have a hunch Cameron plays at RCB and Brooks plays LCB. Besler rests… though I have nothing to go on other than Klinsmann’s erratic lineups and penchant for tinkering.

• QuakerOtis says:

And the fact that AZ apparently bunkers often. Could be a good two-birds-one-stone test for a young backup and a guy *choke* adapting to the position.

29. KingGoogleyEye says:

Chance that this friendly features starters who Klinsmann has no plans to start in Brazil: 90%

Chance that this friendly utilizes a formation that Klinsmann has no plans of using in Brazil: 99%

• Ali Dia says:

I don’t get the second part at all. Unless you are suggesting JK is an incompetent fool (I can’t remember which “camp” everyone is in anymore).

Disguising strategy is barely worth it at this point. There is nothing novel in the game-theory here. All 32 teams know that the others are being cagey about their true intent. We could come out there with our first choice XI and preferred formation and probably it would be regarded as a bluff.

I would suggest that wasting this opportunity to test out and probe the weaknesses of our “most-likely” formation would be a spectacular missed opportunity, given the other coach is on our staff, and could be an active and meaningful participant in the exercise, without compromising his primary responsibility to Azerbaijan. . Vogts and Klinsmann should probably be shot if they just put on a Kabuki show… too much they could learn, no?

• AMP says:

Although, I don’t think he was being serious.

• Ali Dia says:

Ha yeah I’m not even really sure anymore.

• KingGoogleyEye says:

Ali Dia, AMP, GW: I am being serious, mostly just to lower people’s expectations that this friendly will somehow answer all our WC questions.

Klinsmann seems to enjoy using friendlies to test and probe. If this were the friendly against Nigeria or other WC team then it could be a more challenging test of the A-team, A-formation. But I see Klinsmann purposefully sitting a few of the starters just to put more pressure on players/positions he feels could be weak links.

• KingGoogleyEye says:

Reports confirming that Klinsmann plans to “use all six available subs as his players may have heavy legs after the 12-day training camp,” “might experiment with the backline throughout the send-off series,” and that the starting line up tonight will only be “close to” the one facing Ghana. Klinsmann said, “we will definitely make some changes to give [the back line] a chance to prove a point.”

link to socceramerica.com

Hat tip to Engkzl, below.

• Ali Dia says:

I think using all the subs is a good idea, as long as some semblance of organization is preserved and the exercise doesn’t deteriorate into pointlessness in classic Sven/England fahion. The comments about the backline do concern me a little. But I will trust the plan.

• GW says:

JK will deploy his 1st string and his formation of choice.

Vogts who should now know the USMNT and its players inside and out will then either attack the weak points or attempt to shut it down and JK will counter.

That would make the most sense to me.

• Wink says:

Ummm the time to stop tinkering is over. He has 3 games to pull together this mess and settle on a starting team. Does anyone really think Germany or Portugal even cares who we start or what formation we play? It’s like a mosquito stinging an elephant… who cares. They will play their game and tear us apart, no matter what we do

• the original jb says:

Hoping we don’t get “torn apart no matter what,” but I agree that Germany and Portugal aren’t going to strain themselves scouting our lineup or tactics. Therefore trying to be sneaky about what we want to do is indeed pointless. We need to get our preferred starting 11 out there for at least a half tonight, and then most of the other two friendlies. Time to get some game-time chemistry started, time to prepare for Ghana.

• KingGoogleyEye says:

Wink: whether or not you believe that “the time to stop tinkering is over,” Klinsmann apparently does not. See my comment above in this thread.

30. Ryan says:

Let’s start every MLS player possible in this game so that when we get killed, MLS fans who don’t want the USMNT to grow if it means the players are in Europe, can shut up.

31. JakeTheSnake says:

5-4-1 formation with Brad Davis as the lone striker. Make it happen. It’s the only way to show the true glory.

32. Nate Dollars says:

and here i was thinking that the reason we *had* to play beasley at LB was to move fabian forward where he is more effective (which i don’t agree with).

i’m hoping cameron is really that much better than gonzo at CB; otherwise, i really don’t get moving people around just so we can keep beasley at LB. guess that’s why we have warmup games.

• Wink says:

A,crash dummy is better at CB than Gonzo

• Sharkbait says:

Yeah I’m not sure I get all the moving about either. I’m worried about DMB being destroyed by the wingers we’ll see in Brazil, even though he has been playing LB pretty consistently for the past year. What I really don’t get though is the talk of playing FJ at RB and Chandler at LB. Seems contrary to the positions they’ve played the most in the past right? You’d think they’d be switched.

• Helium-3 says:

There’s not much difference between Castillo and DMB other than the fact that DMB is just more experienced. Neither are known for their defending attributes, but they are fast and can start attacks from the back.

I would rather have a guy used to facing better opposition from the Bundesliga than Liga MX. So either FJ or Chandler at LB than DMB.

• Seriously says:

“I would rather have a guy used to facing better opposition from the Bundesliga than Liga MX.”

Because Beas never played in the Bundesliga….

• GW says:

Seriously,

August 30, 2010

Beasley signed a two-year contract with Hannover.He made his debut on September 18, 2010, coming on as a substitute in the 77th minute in a 2–0 away loss to VFL Wolfsburg. Due to injury he wound up making only four appearances.

33. 57Tele says:

Not knowing what is going on in camp, kind of in the dark. Here’s my uniformed opinion (I hope it will be more informed after the game tonight …)

Howard
    Chandler – Cameron – Besler – F. Johnson
    Bradley – Jones
    Zusi – Dempsey – Green
    Altidore

Cameron in center since Omar coming off injury.
    F. Johnson at left back because he is a better defender than Beasley.
    Green over Bedoya and Davis because his they are known commodities and Green’s ceiling is unknown.

34. Engkzl says:

Klinsman is saying that the starting lineup for tonight will also start for Ghana: link to socceramerica.com

35. Aquaman says:

I like this line up. My problem is about everyone clamoring for Chandler to play LB. He can do it defensively and will definitely provide pace and presence in the attack, but last time I saw him at LB for the Nata he was putting in some pretty awful left footed crosses

36. ilikefreddyyesadu says:

The 7 cuts really seem to make the lineup choices more obvious. Diskerud, Green, and Davis are not serious contenders to start. Jozy most likely will not lose his spot to AJ or Wondo. Yedlin will not start in the back. Can Beckerman unseat Jones, Can Brooks move ahead of Omar, When will Chandler take over for Beasley seem to be the real lineup questions. Goodson, Landon, Evans, Parkhurst, and Edu(lesser extent) all were threats to move into starting XI. I am sure Klinsmann has other ideas but for the most part, the competition for starting spots seems less now than it ever has under him.

37. TimH says:

———DEMPSEY————-ALTIDORE—————

————————BRADLEY—————————
    ——BEDOYA——————————-ZUSI———
    ————————JONES————–——————

BEASLEY—BESLER——-CAMERON—-JOHNSON

————————HOWARD————————–

• fifawitz1313 says:

I think this would be our best line up.

• ilikefreddyyesadu says:

Beckerman over Jones seems to work well. Jones is probably the better player but Bradley seemed to have more room to go forward with Beckerman.

• Seriously says:

I never did like Beckerman, but he seems to fit this team better. Jones is good, but has never paired well, consistently, with Bradley. Beckerman pairs very well with him and would get my nod. Beckerman had to earn this view from me, I never expected him to do well in internationals, but he has surprised me.

• GW says:

JK’s consistent faith in Beckerman and Zusi in particular is proof of his bias toward German raised players.

Crofton, Maryland and Orlando, Florida are actually part of Germany.

• KingGoogleyEye says:

Don’t forget the other Jurgen favorite: Wondolowski—he’s as German as anyone. I mean, the name is Polish, but it sounds kinda German, sort of.

38. PN says:

I question how much weight should be really given to the starting lineup tonight. One would surmise JK picked lowly Azerbaijan as the first send-off game for specific reasons, including his relationship with coach Vogts. There are most likely specific tactics and scenarios he would like to test in this glorified scrimmage, and I could see him subbing liberally to try different combinations. We’ll have a much better idea of his plans in future freindlies, and certainly once we get to the Belgium friendly.

For me personally, I’d like to see a couple of strategies tested. First, I’d like to see FJ get a run at MF. This will openly test candidates for LB. Second, I’d also like to see all three options at CB (Gonzales, Brooks, Cameron) get a run. Third, I’m surmising he is positioning AJ as that offensive sub off the bench. I’d like to see him get a run late in the game.

39. Scott e Dio93 says:

No Dempsey, Howard or Bradle vs Azeris because it’s the perfect game test-out newer players.

40. Brett says:

I think we play it like we will in Brazil. Conservative 4-2-3-1 to start.

Jozy on the point, Dempsey advanced underneath. Zusi on the right flank, Beasley on the left.

Jones and Bradley in the middle, backline of Chandler–Besler–Cameron–Johnson.

2nd half subs and formation change to 4-4-2. Jozy off/AJ on, Dempsey moves up to the second forward spot. Zusi off/Bedoya on, like for like. Beasley off/Green on, like for like.

My personal preference would be to start in the 4-3-3 and play a high line/trap. Dempsey on the point, AJ and Green on the flanks, Bedoya, Bradley, and Jones in the midfield. Same back 4.

• Jesse says:

I don’t think that is how Jurgen plans to play against Ghana. I think in that game he will play the diamond 4-4-2 aka the 4-1-2-1-2

• bryan says:

you are incorrect. we are going to play a 4-2-3-1 against Ghana based on what JK has said. he even said how we play tonight will be our strategy for Ghana and yesterday we saw that he plans to play a 4-2-3-1 with the 11 players Ives wrote.

• Jesse says:

ah, a common misconception. You believe Jurgen means what he says. If Jurgen says something, best to think the opposite.

• Jesse says:

As we clearly played a 4-4-2 does this mean JK lied about yesterday, or about Ghana.

• QuakerOtis says:

I think we will use the diamond, but I would be surprised if it’s in the first half.

41. FK pirin says:

—————–Altidore—————-
    Beasley——–Dempsey——-Bedoya
    ————jones———Bradley——–
    Johnson——Besler—–Cameron–Chandler

Beasley was traditionally an attacking winger, but now has defensive ability and still has speed
    Zusi is too slow, so use bedoya and Beasley
    Johnson is a better left back than Beasley and best in this group
    Chandler is best as a right back unless you start Cameron there

What do you think?

• Jesse says:

I’d be pleasantly surprised if Beasley was given a shot at LM. Maybe too much nostalgia for me. I remember Beasley being a stud at that position.

42. chivo says:

Chivas USA will be better opponent than Azerbaijan. And who is the Azerbaijan manager? Yes, JK right hand. This is a joke!

43. Micronesia Justin says:

Ives – US Soccer tweet makes me think they will use a 4-4-2 with the diamond. I know you are at training – any thoughts there?

Essentially the tweeted – “Give us your Starting XI v. Azerbaijan” with 11 silhouettes with “?” in each. It was the 4-4-2 we used against Mexico.

44. Scott e Dio93 says:

Don’t understand why use “A” squad Azerbaijan.

• Jesse says:

because it is all about getting those guys experience playing together. You play them here for the same reason you let them practice together.

• Scott e Dio93 says:

Use them vs Turkey, while Azerbaijan is more regain fitness to some players and rookies develop understanding with others.

• dman says:

Its go time fellas, You must give the starting 11 time to play together now.

also Azerbaijan is not a cupcake just because its a weird name. They tied Russia in World Cup Qualifying and lost to Portugal 0-2. They are not just going to roll over because we are USA. FIFA Rankings are useless, so looking at that is pointless

45. Chris says:

I’d like to see all of the Germans start.

46. Jim says:

This lineup is spot on. Also Die Klinsy said that most of this will be his starting lineup against Ghana. Substitute Chandler for Beasley and that’s probably it. But Die Klinsy can’t start Chandler now, just coming back from injury. He’ll play a half and then start the next two friendlies to get rhythm and be ready for Natal.

47. Brett says:

Beasley plays advanced or he doesn’t play. He only played LB to learn how to defend in cover for Fabian’s forward runs.

• Jesse says:

Interesting theory. Curious, was there some statement you heard that made you think that, or are you completely projecting?

48. Del Griffin says:

I hope we start:
    ——-Howard——–
    Chandler–Brooks–Cameron–F Johnson
    ——-Jones—Diskerud—–
    J Green——————–Bedoya
    ——-A Johannsson–Dempsey

Just so that Slow left arm’s head explodes and we dont have to hear him anymore.

49. Hayes says:

What is up with the dark type against a dark blue background. Can barely read anything.

With that said, will we see the 4-2-3-1 or the 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield and Bradley at the top of the diamond?

50. Ernie says:

Klinsmann’s special advisor Berti Vogts moonlights as coach of Azerbaijan so cannot take this game too seriously. Green Chandler Brooks and Yedlin will all have outstanding games to justify Klinsmann’s WC roster and shut up the critics. You can count on it. This has been planned for months but someone goofed and let the cat out of the bag HHAHAHAHAHA VAGTS AND OZERBAIJAN HAHAHAH I DIDN’T EVEN NOTICE UNTIL MY PHONE NOTIFIED ME :-) :-) :-) :-) I AM A SPOILED BRAT AND NOT VERY SMART SO WHAT! MY DADDY LOVES ME MORE THAN HE DOES LONDY-CAKES HAHA

51. junker says:

zusi and Beasley are most suspect – could see iceman and chandler instead.
    depends if he goes for the 1-3-2-4 or the 2-4-4

52. Jesse says:

I think we are prepping for Ghana, which means we will see the diamond 4-4-2.
    Alitdore Dempsey
    Bradley
    Bedoya Zusi
    Jones
    F Johnson Besler Cameron Chandler
    Howard

I have this suspicion that our wide midfielders will be a surprise and we will see either Davis or Green.

53. Jack says:

How much time does Altidore get before we start to worry he’s just not going to find his form?

54. Mine is close to Ives but I have Chandler getting the start on the right, Johnson on the left and Bedoya in midfield.

———————-ALTIDORE————————-

BEDOYA————DEMPSEY——————-ZUSI

————–JONES————–BRADLEY————

JOHNSON—BESLER——-CAMERON—-CHANDLER

————————HOWARD————————–

I also wouldn’t be shocked to see Run DMB at LB and Johnson on the left in a diamond 4-4-2. I have all my thoughts on tonights game here

• D-Bo says:

I would agree with this. Or the possibility of moving Cameron to RB (thought Klinsy seems to like him at CB) and start Brooks.

• The Garrincha says:

Flipping the script,
      that looks pretty good, may be a twist and turn but
      that looks about as good as it’s gonna get.

55. Bomb Pop says:

That awkward moment where you’re hoping for injuries so, LD makes it to Brazil

56. Brett says:

That awkward moment when you don’t deserve to support the USMNT.

57. My prediction is:

————-Altidore—————————
    ————————Dempsey————-
    ——————–Bradley——————–
    Bedoya———————————-Zusi
    ——————Beckerman—————-
    Johnson-Besler-Cameron-Chandler
    ——————–Howard——————-

I think Klinsi will try that diamond midfield again that he’s obsessed with … Beckerman playing the holding defense mid which gives Bradley more freedom to attack. Jermaine Jones has played his way out of the starting lineup IMO due to mediocre fitness and a penchant for early yellow cards and giving up dangerous restarts with stupid fouls.

• Bac says:

The diamond midfield he’s obsessed with that he played 1 time?
      Every reporter that was at the practice last night says he’s going with a 4-2-3-1
      If he goes with a diamond midfield against Ghanas midfield, it will make the second half of the Mexico friendly look pretty in comparison

• Thanks for the feedback Bac. The whole staff just seems to love the idea of Beckerman playing underneath Bradley, which is another reason I feel like Jermaine Jones has lost his spot in the starting XI to him. A more traditional lineup wouldn’t surprise me either. And my projected lineup really is more of a 4-1-3-2 than a “diamond midfield” anyway IMO. Not like Bradley will constantly be pushed farther up field than the wings.

• Bac says:

If you saw that espn special, JK laid out that diamond to counter the 5-3-2 of Mexico, which was brilliant in the 1st half till they adjusted. I also wouldn’t get too caught up in what anyone says, JK has been pretty clear about Jones as part of the spine.
          Count me in the camp that a year ago scoffed at Beckerman and now welcomes his inclusion.. he’s earned it. But only see him as a sub.. but do think he’ll see the field.

• KingGoogleyEye says:

I hope Bradley doesn’t push higher than the wings. Bradley is not a great attacking midfielder, orchestrating the attack high up in the field (like Xavi). He is far better suited as a CDM who “shows up late to the party,” which allows him to jump into the attack as an extra/surprise passer, sometimes even making a run on goal himself. But he needs that time to hang back and study the defense from a distance before he comes in and exploits the holes.

• Bac says:

Aaaaaaaaannnnnddddd apparently the diamond it is?????

• bryan says:

I guess all those reporters from yesterday can’t tell the difference! Excited to see the 4-4-2 though if it actually is how they play going forward

58. Shurls says:

The reason that we went with a 4-4-2 diamond is because it was an extra striker to occupy the three CBs vs Mexico. Against a team that runs a 4-2-3-1 the extra striker is essentially wasted and you give up too much in the midfield. I think that was a test run to see if they can be effective if a team we face shows that formation in Brazil.

This may be effective against Portugal bc their defense becomes really lopsided when Coentrao pushes up and CR7 pinches in (essential changing there formation to 3-4-3 or a 3-5-2 depending on how selfishly Nani is playing. In that case an extra striker would be a tactical advantage for the USMNT

59. Aaron says:

Start Chandler over Beasley.

Subs – Green for Bedoya
    – Diskerud for Bradley
    – Johannson for Dempsey
    – Brooks for Besler
    – Beckerman for Jones

60. Raymon says:

Who is “AJ”? Bring back “Bacon”. More bacon > “AJ”

Enjoy the match fellas and sistas

61. PD says:

SBI’s lineup is pretty spot on.

One thing I’d love to see before the end of the night

Green——Altidore——Johansson
    —————Dempsey—————
    —–Jones—————Bradley——
    Beasely–Besler–Cameron–Johnson
    —————–Howard—————–

One of the reasons Jozy was so potent at AZ was cause he had two running with him in a 4-3-3

• dewey says:

that might look nice with Wondo in place of Green. wouldn’t be much service from anywhere though

62. This is off topic but I truly feel like Brek Shea should convert to a defender. He’s got the size and ability to make dangerous runs up the wing. I’ve always felt he’d be a nice outside back. He could also be an asset on corners and set pieces. With his size and skill set he might even be a decent center back too. Since his future with the USMNT in the midfield seems suspect at best, why not give it a shot? He could possibly make the roster as a defender in 2018 IMO but it probably won’t happen.

• Bac says:

Ive heard that idea thrown out before,Ive also heard he should be converted to a forward because of his height, Im more convinced hes the kinda guy that needs a complete restart with the right coach first or he may not be playing anywhere in 2018 huh..

• Brett says:

He’s not aggressive enough off the ball to defend well.