Projecting the USMNT World Cup training camp roster

USMNTJT101113136

By IVES GALARCEP

Jurgen Klinsmann’s decision to bring his entire 30-man preliminary World Cup roster to the U.S. Men’s National Team training camp at Stanford later this month didn’t come as a big surprise, but it did signal the time to start thinking about just which players will fill out that 30-player list.

You might think that Klinsmann shouldn’t have much difficult selecting his top 30 players, but the reality is that this is the deepest player pool the U.S. team has ever had, and while in past World Cup cycles it would have been a real project to fill out a 30-player list, this time around there will be some quality players who don’t even get invited to the training camp.

With the exception of goalkeeper, where the top three options are set in stone and most likely to be the only three goalkeepers in the training camp, all the other positions have multiple options for the training camp, as well as fierce competition for the final World Cup roster spots.

So who will make the 30-player preliminary USMNT World Cup roster? Here is SBI’s projection for the squad:

PROJECTED  USMNT PRELIMINARY WORLD CUP ROSTER

GOALKEEPERS- Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

DEFENDERS- Geoff Cameron, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Fabian Johnson, Timmy Chandler, Clarence Goodson, John Brooks, DaMarcus Beasley, Brad Evans, Michael Parkhurst, Tim Ream.

MIDFIELDERS- Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Landon Donovan, Jermaine Jones, Graham Zusi, Alejandro Bedoya, Kyle Beckerman, Maurice Edu, Mix Diskerud, Julian Green, Joe Corona.

FORWARDS- Jozy Altidore, Aron Johannsson, Chris Wondolowski, Terrence Boyd, Eddie Johnson.

MISSED THE CUT (The Next 30)

GOALKEEPERS- Sean Johnson, Bill Hamid, Tally Hall

DEFENDERS- Oguchi Onyewu, Michael Orozco, Edgar Castillo, Will Packwood, Tony Beltran, DeAndre Yedlin, Matt Hedges, Eric Lichaj, Greg Garza, Jonathan Spector, Chris Schuler

MIDFIELDERS- Danny Williams, Brad Davis, Jose Torres, Luis Gil, Brek Shea, Benny Feilhaber, Sacha Kljestan, Alfredo Morales, Eric Alexander, Dillon Powers, Joe Gyau

FORWARDS- Juan Agudelo, Herculez Gomez, Mike Magee, Will Bruin, Paul Arriola

————

What do you think of the 30-man roster we projected? Who are you happy to see make the cut? Who are you disappointed to see missing from the list? What do you see being the biggest position battle in the USMNT training camp?

This entry was posted in Featured, U.S. Men's National Team, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

207 Responses to Projecting the USMNT World Cup training camp roster

1. THomas says:

I really like what Bedoya has brought. If he trends well the next few months he could be in the starting XI

• skyman says:

Absolutely! I see him playing on the right side, with his ability to go forward and track back.

• willie says:

I agree with the new back line predictions. I believe Brooks and Chandler, if fit, will make the 23 and start in Brazil. In fact, I am even thinking that DeAndre Yedlin has a slight chance.

• willie says:

While I agree with most predictions I can’t help but remember there was a poster here that said Julian Green would declare for the USMNT. It happened. He also said there would be a coaching shake-up, that happened too. Then he disappeared.

Taking something from what he said, I would think that it is no longer Klinsmann that is making all the decisions, what players to invite, what players to take to Brazil and so forth. So maybe all of you should think it over. Maybe what Klinsmann thought yesterday is not what will happen today.

• tom says:

I think/hope against Ghana we’ll see Bedoya and Zusi on the flanks with Donovan coming in as a super sub. Dempsey behind Altidore.
      Against Portugal I’d use Donovan over Bedoya.

• MisterJC says:

I very much agree with that idea…

• DCUnitedWillRiseAgain says:

I don’t. Netiher Zusi nor Bedoya is suited to playing on the left. I hope to see F. Johnson on the left and Zusi on the right and Donovan as 1st sub. If Zusi got injured though, I would start Bedoya on the right.

• Maykol says:

Soooo, your leftback would beee???

• malkin says:

Tim Ream

• Jesse says:

I would rather play Donovan on the left and keep Fabian at left back. But if you forced Fabian up the field I’ll play Beasley at LB just not against Portugal.

• Bobeto says:

Only change I would make is Danny Williams in…Corona out and Michael Orozco in……Tim Ream out. As for left back. Beasley or Fabian Johnson. Both go forward and can add to the attack.Donovan left mid…Dempsey behind striker ..Bedoya right mid. Bradley/Jones center mid and Cameron right back.

• malkin says:

Curious for a bit more detail on your difference bw Ghana and Portugal

• SeeingGreen says:

From our forest of talent (Timbers aside) hoping to see a healthy Chandler, mindful Brooks, and a raw but wickedly talented Green making the plane to Brazil. JK just might have the letters c, v, r, t, i, y, o ready for a double word score.

2. Rakesh says:

Yoh! That “Missed The Cut” midfielder group is stacked with talent! Sad, but it’s totally plausible that Danny Williams misses out, I was actually hoping to see a bit more of him. I may be alone here, but it’s strange that Carlos Bocanegra isn’t even in the second group of defenders…

• TomM says:

What does a ‘missed the cut’ best 11 look like, and how well would it stack up against international competition?

• Rakesh says:

GK: Hamid
        D: Castillo, Orozco, Schuler, Lichaj
        M (diamond): Davis, Williams, Feilhaber, Gil
        F: Magee, Agudelo

They get blown out.

• beto says:

I had a hard time picking this

———-Agudelo——–Gomez——
        –Davis—-Williams—-Torres—–Feilhaber—
        -Lichaj—Orozco——Gooch—Yedlin-
        ——————-SJohnson————-

Subs: Castillo, Shea, Hedges, Beltran, Magee, Gil, Kljestian

Id say they could win some games in concacaf…

• The Imperative Voice says:

I agree with the general premise but think the specific people will be different. I think Shea makes the camp and Corona does not.

3. Yankeedom says:

Pretty good list. I like the inclusion of Joe Corona. The only tweak I would make is flipping Michael Orozco with Ream.

• Ryan SATX says:

I don’t think Corona makes it over Benny and Sacha.

• Louis Z says:

since this is the 30 list, I would like to see Williams instead of Corona. Williams has done so much for his club than Corona for his. If Williams gets called he would more in competition with Beckerman than Edu, simply because Edu can be used as a CB while both Beckerman and Williams would be fighting for the backup #6 position.

• GOYA-GOYA says:

…and how many Xolos games have you seen this year?

• Louis Z says:

enough to confirm that both Gomez and Corona only played the final 10 minutes of tonite’s game. want more prove?

• The Imperative Voice says:

I don’t think any of those three earned it

• USsoccerfan90 says:

Sacha isn’t even playing for Anderlecht. At least Corona is on the field getting playing time.

• Hogatroge says:

I think Orozco’s been injured recently (despite significant PT this season), and his club hasn’t done well in the Clausura (narrowly avoiding relegation), even though they didn’t give up a horrible amount of goals.

JK’s probably looking at him at Ream as a versatile #2LB/#4CB option who’s trending up (great season, POTY award) and Orozco as a known quantity.

Honestly, though, I’d leave Brad Evans out of the 30 and bring Orozco. It’s a safe bet Ream’s there, though.

• Phil B says:

I agree with that Orozco for Ream swap. I’ll throw in that I think we will see that, as well as Castillo over Chandler…

• The Imperative Voice says:

I’m concerned about the potential CB calls just in general, and on the merits I don’t think Brooks, Ream, or Goodson should be called. It’d be like a kick me sign.

I also will be surprised if Chandler is called for locker room reasons.

I’m not a Parkhurst fan and think he’d be over his head, but he is “steady” (nominally) where some are outright liabilities (Castillo).

I also would be surprised if there wasn’t a fourth keeper in camp — just in case — even if they are off the books from the 30. Maybe even a youth team type. If you switch teams in a small sided drill you need 4 keepers. Just math.

• Joe+G says:

There’s no real value in bringing in a 4th keeper among the 30. If you lose a GK, even at the last minute, calling in a 3rd GK not on the original 30 list is low risk.

• Louis Z says:

Heck, JK can forgo calling the third goalie and use his spot for another field player and when he has to get his 23 list he just brings in his 3rd goalie to the final list. But I think there is a rule that the 23 has to come out from the original 30. injuries can be a player outside the original 30

4. Tiny says:

Oguchi will make the 30 man roster……

• MisterJC says:

That’s what I believe. He’s the only defender with World Cup experience. If there exists any possibility that Gooch is healthy and playing effectively, not only is he in camp, he’s on the plane to Brazil…

• Four Cents says:

I agree, but there’s already a good amount of players with PWCE (Previous World Cup Experience) on the list. JK seems to love what some of these younger guys can bring, and it shows in the teams he’s selected. I do hope Gooch is good enough to make the list though- if anything to keep our younger/less experienced CBs in check.. LETS GO YOU YANKS!!!

• Lil' Zeke says:

Hasn’t world cup experience always been considered one of the top intangibles for roster selection? Does JK just not subscribe? Or are his eyes on 2018?

• Jeremy Mikell says:

Can’t see Gooch making the 30 at all. He’s not been a stellar fixture with his various clubs in recent years and pretty bad with the US in his limited international experience since his bad injury a number of years ago. I just think the US is so much more talented skill wise than he is or was. Always loved his grit and athleticism (although this has never quite fully come back in my opinion).

• The Imperative Voice says:

Frightening but possible. I wouldn’t bother but the deal is, Goodson, Brooks, Ream, etc. would be just as scary. So maybe he’s called for being no worse.

• ronniet says:

Gonzalez is scarier than the names you just listed sir!!!!! Ream hasn’t played with the NATS in 2 years so we don’t know how’s he progressed but clearly he’s doing something right at Bolton! Brooks has tremendous upside but I think its too late for him to make the plane to brasil and Goodson has been steady eddy for 2 years now!

5. MMT says:

Pretty much agree, except Chandler and Corona being replaced with Orozco and Shea. Klinsy has seemed to favor Shea even when he’s not playing at his club. And I still believe Klinsy resents Chandler a bit.

I could also see Klinsy include Castillo as a shock pick. I pray that doesn’t happen. I think a scarecrow would make a better defender.

• Neruda says:

Chandler will be in. Jk has been paying attention since he tweeted something about players coming back from injury.

6. the original jb says:

That list is pretty solid and may very well be the exact list JK calls. If I was to quibble, I bet that JK will call Williams in above Corona.

• Wispy says:

I’d like to see Williams make the 30-man roster, but I doubt JK calls in him “above” Corona. Two completely different players. Williams is a D-mid, or at perhaps a box-to-box, and he would be called in to compete with Beckerman and Edu. If Corona makes the 30-man camp, it’s becuase he’s versatile as an attacking mid on either wing or (in a pinch) in the middle. They both can make the camp if someone like Edu or Green is left out.

• the original jb says:

Yeah that was my point, tho I didnt take time to clarify it. I think JK will want to look more closely at the CDM options and maybe bring one more of those than an attacking midfielder because of the teams we will face in the group. Thus the last CDM Williams instead of the last “CAM” Corona.

• Hogatroge says:

This. Corona is competing with Shea, Green, Davis, and maybe EJ (depending on how JK classifies him) for an outside midfield spot.

Williams is competing with Edu for a DMid spot.

7. Tyrone says:

I think that 30 is basically spot on. The one standing on the shakiest ground is Corona, though I’m glad to see he is listed in the 30. The reason why I say that is because I think Williams has as good a chance, if not better, of making the 30 than Corona. I’d be fine seeing either one there. I wish we could expand the 30 to include Orozco and Agudelo.

• Goalscorer24 says:

Isn’t Williams having knee problems?

• bryan says:

this is likely why Ives left him off the 30. if healthy, he’s in. but with that lingering knee issue it’s 50/50.

8. Justin El Matador says:

I can’t argue with this 30. However, I have a soft spot for Torres.. He’s one of the best passers and on-the-ball players in the pool. I know I know, midfield is stacked with options, he’s too small for the international game to play centrally, etc etc. I suppose JK wants a more incisive true left-footer. This is the case for J Green. Let’s see what the kid can do over a few games.

9. Gabe says:

To some extent you’re not paying attention. Brad Davis STARTED against Mexico. He will at least get into the 30. Similarly, I’ve never understood the fascination with Orozco, but Klinsmann definitely has a thing for him and he will also be in the 30. Also, how in the world did Chandler go from complete outsider (has he even played with us lately?) to getting into the 30? Klinsmann is a loyalty guy…Orozco replaces Chandler in your list and Davis replaces Corona.

• Tyrone says:

Davis started in Mexico because the roster was mostly MLS-based. Davis for Corona, maybe, but that’s the best case you can make for him.

• bryan says:

and Davis was not good in that game or against South Korea. he did it to himself.

• JS says:

I look forward to reading the far more attentive, detail-oriented Soccer by Gabe.

• bryan says:

sorry but Davis is out.

10. Justin El Matador says:

Key players hitting form are J Brooks and Ream, and potentially Timmy Chandler. It would give us more options. Cam could play either right or central (I really hope the latter). Depending on where he plays, we could deploy Chandler as a right back or Brooks as a CD. Exciting times. Could really see our defense drastically improving over this camp.

• Justin El Matador says:

Ream could also potentially win the starting job on the left, pushing FJ forward.

• The Imperative Voice says:

Ream over Beasley? Not on speed, defense, or even technical ability.

• malkin says:

Being a bit nitpicky here, but Ream isn’t really “hitting form,” apparently he’s been in form all friggin season. It really is a shame we couldn’t see him vs Ukraine.

• Justin El Matador says:

Agreed. I guess Stateside we’re just now noticing the form. I think Klinsi’s good for quite a few surprises in the final 23…

• Louis Z says:

If Chandler can get his form back to the way he was before his injury, is he better than Cameron at RB? or is Chandler better at LB than Beasley?

• Justin El Matador says:

I think the need for an in-form Chandler is greater at RB, which allows Cam to come inside and replace O Gonz. FJ, Parkhurst and Ream can are options at LB, and based on current form, I think Ream will make a strong impression there.

• Justin El Matador says:

*are, not can are

• Louis Z says:

I agree with your train of thought, but keep in mind JK has used FJ exclusively as our LM. If that continues is Beasley better than an in form Chandler?

• Justin El Matador says:

No, I don’t think Beasley is better than an in-form Chandler. Could have Chandler as LB with Beas as backup. Chandler has a higher ceiling than ole run DMB. Much like I believe Brooks has a higher ceiling than Jenga Goodson.

However, I see Chandler competing for a RB spot. When on form, he’s our best option. I think it’s possible Ream claims the starting job from DMB. This is why the camp is so important for Ream, Chandler and Brooks. They’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain. It’s guys like Beas, Goodson, Omar and Evans who will be under pressure. IMO, drop Omar like a bad habit.

• Hogatroge says:

I’m a huge Cameron fan, and he’s definitely more versatile than Chandler, but Timmy’s a better attacking threat from an FB role. It’s HIGHLY unlikely he’ll be in good enough form, though, to be trusted to start at RB 3 games in a row, especially after missing most of the spring half of the Bundesliga with an injury.

• The Imperative Voice says:

Maybe, but you don’t have to make that decision to put him in camp. You don’t pick starters with the 30. You weed out pretenders. So, if you risk the locker room issue, is he better than the last guys in the back pretending to the 23? Yes, he’s better than Orozco, Parkhurst, Castillo, Ream, Lichaj, etc. You then use the camp to see if he’s a starter or a bench guy. But if he passes the loyalty test then he’s easily a 30 guy. But that may be a stretch with Klinsi.

11. Annelid Gustator says:

I expect some of the bubble guys you’ve put in the 30 will be switched with guys with WCF experience.

12. El Homer Simpson says:

Really hoping Tim Ream gets his shot

13. Mike P says:

Are the 30 on the prelim list the only players eligible for the World Cup Finals? Can they be replaced in the event of injury? If no, I’d think they would have 4 keepers in camp, since we know that they are going to Brazil with 3, and you would probably want to have 4 on the roster in case of an injury to Howard/Guzan/Rimando in the training camp, right?

• slowleftarm says:

No you can replace with anyone, even if they weren’t in the 30. So no need for 4 gks.

• Wispy says:

I think after JK cuts the roster down to 23, he can call in injury replacements up until Game 1 from anyone (U.S.-eligible) on the planet. Doesn;t have to be from the initial 30-man roster.

• Louis Z says:

Good question…JK can go just with 2 keepers for the 30 man roster and bring in an extra field player for evaluation and when he needs to finalize his 23 man roster he just calls in the third keeper.
      Come to think of it, If I remember correctly, he can only select his 23 from the 30 list but if any injury happens after the 23 select he can choose anyone even outside the original 30.

• The Imperative Voice says:

As I said above, I expect 4 keepers in camp even if the 4th is a U-20 or U-23 called for numbers and technically not part of the 30.

I then agree with the premise of the posts below, that if an actual replacement was needed for the 23, he would be called from the veteran pool.

14. Beast says:

I know Chandler quality wise should make this list but he won’t and it is silly for everyone to keep putting him on there and even saying he will be starting. Its just not happening he has been on the outs forever and now he is just coming back from injury.

• SingularityCup says:

Lets see Evans, Yedlin, or Cameron at RB. Yep my guess Chandler will be on the 30 man roster.

15. Vic says:

Brad Davis should have made missed the cut list. He’s gotten more call ups than many on that list.

• Hogatroge says:

He did.

• bryan says:

as an injury replacement. and he dropped the ball in his last two chances. he’s out. we don’t need him.

• The Imperative Voice says:

I think Klinsi notices more if you mess up than if you are anonymous, and Davis has been anonymous rather than a liability. So with all the callins and his left foot I think he has a chance.

I’d see the issue as more one of health. He’s had an ankle injury and missed games.

• bryan says:

i agree. the dude has a great left foot and a fantastic cross, but if that is all that is offered, i’m not using a spot on him.

16. noodles says:

Without either Davis or Shea, Klinsmann is left without a true left-footed wing. I think one of the two makes the squad to fill this gap.

• the original jb says:

Isn’t Green a lefty?

• Herschel Skywalker says:

Actually, I think Green is left footed, and most consider him a winger.

• Bac says:

No he’s not a lefty, but very strong with both feet

• noodles says:

That’s a good point. I didn’t think about green as I don’t have him in the 30. I think he’s still too raw and is destined for 2018. I do hope a left-footed wing on the plane to Brazil. Personally, I don’t think Green is that guy, but we’ll see what Klinsi thinks.

• SeeingGreen says:

How can he not be in the thirty? Sadly we don’t have anyone (besides Castillo) who can break down a good defender off of the dribble. Green has the talent to create and would be a great 2nd half option to provide a spark for the team in a goal down situation.

• Hogatroge says:

Corona has frequently played that role for club, he’s a better player overall than Shea (even if he’s not as much of an X-factor), and he’s in much better form now.

He’s also a better athlete than Davis, even if his left foot’s not as much of a perfectly calibrated targeting computer. And I’m a Dynamo supporter.

• bryan says:

nah, neither are needed with FJ, Beasley, LD, and Green there. not to mention Zusi and Bedoya. we’re fine.

• SingularityCup says:

When have a Beasley who can play LW/LB, a Fabian Johnson who can play with both feet at LB/LW/RB, and Julian Green who is exceptional with both feet, it makes no sense to have Davis or Shea.

17. the unmistakeable Ronaldinho says:

Soooo much versatility in the pool as well as depth. That will make for a VERY interesting combination of 23 players. Conceivably, Klinsmann could bring 7 defenders, 10 midfielders and 3 strikers given the variety of positions so many players can play. could look like

GKS

Def: FJ, Beas, Cameron, Besler, Gonzo, Goodson, Chandler
    –Thats 3 players who can play RB (Chandler, Cameron, FJ)
    – 3 players available at LB ( FJ, Chandler, Beas)
    —5 CB options (Cameron, Besler, Gonzo, Goodson, Edu)

Mid: Bradley, Donovan, Dempsey, Jones, Beckerman, Edu, Diskerud, Bedoya, Zusi, Green
    —plenty of CM depth
    —Wing options include (Donovan, Zusi, Bedoya, FJ, and Green…..Chandler could also play RM and Beas could play left)

Fwd: Altidore, AJ, EJ
    –Donovan and Dempsey can also play here

• Wispy says:

Agreed. I’ve been saying 7 defenders for a while now (maybe even just 6 if FJ is listed as MF).

• analyst/therapist says:

Same. If you bring Ream instead of Goodson, that’s extra cover across the whole back line. Might be a little risky, but it might free up a spot for a Castillo, who seems like an odd man out but brings a quickness and a left foot combination that nobody else really matches.

• Murray Braun says:

Left wing is the big problem. Fabian there leaves LB exposed without Beasley, Ream or Orozco being a viable alternative. Shea, Davis, Dempsey, Bedoya or Donovan aren’t the answer at LM either. Don’t think JK will come up with a solution and need to use players out of position like Torres?
      Not looking good. Hate to be pessimistic but it doesn’t look good on the left side against Ghana, Portugal and Germany. isn’t that what it’s all about?

18. Vic says:

I think the missed the 30 list would qualify for the World Cup in Concacaaf.

• The Imperative Voice says:

It looks like a Gold Cup 2011 type roster, so no.

• Bobb says:

And they finished second in the 2011 Gold Cup, so YES? Heck they even finished second in the 2009 Gold Cup with a total B team.
        You know 3.5 teams qualify for the World Cup from here, right??

• The Imperative Voice says:

People have short memories, the B team tying Haiti in 2009, the B team losing to Panama in 2011, barely getting past Guadeloupe. We did supplement the B team for the knockout round of GC 2011 but then lost to Mexico anyway, in such fashion as to get Bradley fired. If 2011 was a prototype for anything Bradley would be the coach still. Revisionist history.

Mexico’s performance this year underlines the potential qualifying impact of slippage.

19. MidWest Ref says:

Is the 2014 potential squad really deep? Or is it that the Starting XI just isn’t as good as they have been in the past?

• Wispy says:

I’d say both.

• Vic says:

I think the 2002 starting line-up is equivalent to the current team however the current team has alot more depth.

• Nate Dollars says:

yeah, that’s what i’ve been trying to figure out. i think, as wispy said, it’s a combination of both: we do have a lot more players playing in top leagues, but we’ll also have a pretty underwhelming starting XI (in my opinion), and so it makes the pool seem a lot more crowded than it has been in a while.

it’s why we should take the whole “most competition for world cup roster in years” claim with a grain of salt, because it’s at least partly due to almost no one standing out by consistently playing at a high level.

• Bac says:

One way you could say it is the depth is “wider”, not necessarily “deeper”

• GW says:

The trouble with comparing 2014 to 2002 is that the 2002 story is already written and the 2014 story is not.

I this point I rate the 2014 starters much lower but then again, lots of nice things were said about the 2002 team in the run up but anyone who tells you they knew how well it was going to turn out is a liar.

I am hoping the 2014 team is as pleasant a surprise as the 2002 team was.

You’ll have to wait until the smoke clears before we can sensibly talk about whether. Clint, Mikey, Jones, Landon, Timmy and company can be compared with the 2002 team, not that it will stop anyone from trying.

• analyst/therapist says:

Both, but I think the ceiling of our starting XI is better than ever. It’s not reasonable to expect, but in-form Jozy, swansong rejuvenation for LD and Deuce, Zusi and Bedoya on top of their game, Jones being a disciplined destroyer, MB90 running the midfield, Chandler/FJ overlapping and using their speed… ton of upside if they get it together. Plus you have one of LD, Zusi, or Bedoya coming off the bench with Johannsen, EJ, Wondo, Green as a late wildcard. That’s more potential than I think we’ve ever fielded. Remeber, it’s been a while since we had a whole “A” team of Euro and North American based players on the same roster. Even early last summer, Donovan wasn’t around.

20. beto says:

Same list i had except i had Davis over Corona.

I would prefer seeing Corona there but idk how his form is right now…
    Same with Sasha, Williams and Benny – haven’t heard much from them lately.

Also if Green is still injuried and not playing (in regionaliga lol) since the Mexico game is it time to give that idea a rest? Wait until after the cup

• Dinho says:

Agreed, beto. I like Corona more, but he has not been playing, so I see Davis being called over him.

• bryan says:

what? Corona has been a consistent starter for weeks now. once he recovered from his injury and got back into form, he was put right back into a starting role with TJ.

21. Dennis says:

The only ones I see as not being on the list are Diskerud and Corona. Not because they are not quality players, but because there are no obvious scenarios, barring an injury, where they make the 23. In my view, the competition is much more wide open for the back-up forward spots and for the back-up fullbacks and CBs. Maybe Agudelo, Magee, Onweyu, Spector, Orozco, Yedlin or Lichaj are more likely to make the final 23 if they show well in camp than Diskerud or Corona no matter how well they perform in camp.

It is not so much about the “best” players, but which players are most likely to be needed in case of injury, card accumulation or a change in tactics.

Green has a better shot than the other 2 simply because he is more intriguing, but like the other 2 mids, I don’t think he makes the 23.

22. Cairo says:

I expect the surprise inclusion of Yedlin, at the expense of either Ream or Brooks. If he starts a world cup game, Yedlin’s adventurousness might well cost us a game. At the same time, that attacking spirit could be the x-factor that we sometimes lack. Imagine us 2-1 down to Portugal with World Cup advancement on the line. You could sub in another forward and play with three in the back, but against Ronaldo and company that may well be a complete disaster. Or you can bring in an attack minded defender to overlap but who can still play some defense. That’s Yedlin in a nutshell. His performances for the Sounders are a roller coaster, but his attacking forays are game changers. Klinsmann has a gambler’s spirit, so I think we’ll see Yedlin in the 30 at least…

• Dinho says:

How’s Seattle this time of year? :)

• Cairo says:

Nice, with fans happier than Portland! ( Joking aside, I don’t know if I’d take Yedlin, as he is an adventure, but there aren’t a lot of guys out there who can change a game late, and he’s one of them (Green? Shea? EJ?). Could backfire but Klinsy does seem to be a bit of a swashbuckler.

• Dinho says:

I was half kidding. I am not from Seattle nor Portland.

And I agree that Yedlin can provide a spark, but I see that spark showing itself in the Olympics and Russia 2018…

That said, JK has surprised many, including the team he selected for Germany in 2006….so we will see…

• Dirk McQuigley says:

Speaking of our Olympic Roster, who do you think will make it?

Green, Yedlin, Zalem?, Gil, Joya, Cropper, etc.

23. JayAre says:

Gooch has to be in the 30. He’s the most experienced defender we have. He has more caps than Brooks, Beasler, Gonzo and Parkurst combined. He’s been a bit unfortunate with injury but he’s probably still our best CB.

• iggy says:

Boca has more caps than Gooch and is playing regularly. Why not call him in as well? Answer is because he is past it, just like Gooch is.

• Villan-from-Texaz says:

Experience is overrated–or, at least, it isn’t important enough to warrant Gooch’s inclusion over better defenders.

• Curtis says:

Wow. Could not disagree more strongly.

If Gooch is even invited to the 30-man camp I will be disappointed — and if he makes the final 23 for Brazil I would be terrified.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no doubt — but kind of shocks me that anyone would call for inclusion of Gooch at this point.

• analyst/therapist says:

I don’t think he’ll get in, but he has been starting every game for a Championship club, and he was called in for the most recent Euro friendly. However, Wednesday is allowing tons of goals and they Ukraine game was a bit of a disaster. Gooch’s biggest argument is that the rest of our defensive hopefuls have been inconsistent or bad. I think Besler’s a lock. Cameron is getting in for one position or another. Given Gonzo’s history of callups I suppose he’s a lock, but he hasn’t really impressed in the past 6 months. Any combo of Goodson, Ream, Gooch, JAB, Orozco wouldn’t surprise me. It’d be nice to see them all duke it out in camp. Wish you could bring in like 33 players.

• JayAre says:

No one you mentioned is a tested as Gooch and if we played them we’d be experimenting and i think it’s too late for that. Our CB position is in shambles. I’m not saying Gooch is a world beater but his spot has been up for grabs since 2010 and no one has firmly taken it from him.

• The Imperative Voice says:

I’d take Boca out of retirement before him, because Gooch can’t even stay with the play. Nor can Boca really, but if it’s sheer experience and previously displayed quality — even years ago — Boca.

24. Dinho says:

Ives:

Great list and probably pretty damn close to the actual 30. A couple thoughts.

I agree with some posters above that we will see Davis over Corona.

I see that Orozco is left off your list, is that because of his current injury? JK has always been a big fan of his (as have I).

25. biff says:

Projection of Klinsmann’s USMNT 23-man WC roster.

GOALKEEPERS- Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

DEFENDERS- Timothy Chandler, Geoff Cameron, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, John Brooks, Clarence Goodson, DaMarcus Beasley

MIDFIELDERS- Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Maurice Edu, Daniel Williams, Graham Zusi, Fabian Johnson Alfredo Morales, Julian Green,

FORWARDS- Jozy Altidore, Aron Johannsson, Chris Wondolowski, Terrence Boyd

• Dinho says:

biff:

Is this who you really think JK will call in? Or, is this who YOU call to camp? If the former, see my comments below. If the latter, everyone is entitled to their opinion…. I guess. : – )

D: Who is Besler’s back-up in this squad….? JK works with positions and depth per position. You will see either Parkhurst or Orozco there.

MF: First, IMO, there’s no way that Beckerman does not make the 23. And, Morales over Diskerud? Davis?

MF/F: No Donovan? Come on, man. No chance in hell.

• Bac says:

It appears this projection is meant to just create attention and controversy.
        He’s been the most outspoken critic of Green, so to include him on this list would infer he’s predicting JKs 23.
        Yet he includes Morales, who has a ZERO % chance, inferring he likes him and is NOT predicting JKs 23, but his own
        The icing is excluding both LD and Beckerman… so do the math…

• biff says:

@Bac: I am surprised at the tone of your comment. Part of me wants to tell you to shove it, but that is not my style. In any case, I simply posted after a few minutes thought a roster that I could see Klinsmann sending to Brazil. No more. No less. Why do you have to make big deal out of simple comment and fling wild accusations. Are you saying that you have inside information that Beckerman and Donovan are locks and that Morales will not be on the roster?

Klinsmann has always rated Morales and apparently he has been in excellent form in previous weeks. He can play attacker all across the line LM and CM and RM and also DM and he played as a defender for Hertha Berlin. I think at the very least he is going to be called into camp and I think Morales is exactly the sort of player that Klinsmann would love to surprise us with. Plus he is young and will be around for WC 2018.

As for Beckerman, who I personally like, I am not so sure that when it comes time to cut the list to 23 that Klinsmann keeps him. I think Edu will end up getting that slot and I think Williams will be on the roster because Klinsmann loves him, not to mention he looked excellent against Ukraine and doing well at his club as an attacker and DM. A lot of fans don’t want to see Beckerman in Brazil. So why are you making a big deal that I left him off the list. Again, do you have inside information?

As for Donovan, I love the guy and want him in Brazil. But can you not admit that Landon and Klinsmann have a complicated relationship and might not be as warm as either would like and if Landon is in bad club form Klinsmann might say it’s time to jettison him, like he did with Bocanegra, and start focusing on the next generation. Do you really think, Bac, that Klinsmann is going to be sentimental when it comes time deciding with he let’s Landon play in his fourth WC or not?

As for Green, when Ives Galarcep talks I listen and he wrote a few days ago that Green “seems a very good bet to be included in the final 23-man roster.” Do I think Green should go? Hell no. But my roster is a prediction of what I think Klinsmann will do and I would bet money that Green will be in Brazil.

• Bac says:

Ok Biff, yea you’re right, I don’t ever take shots at other posters, so point taken….
            And no I obviously don’t have inside info as I’m sure you know. I don’t read a lot of the posts, especially ones that argue such lunacy as the inclusion of Freddy Adu, or the insistence on Lichaj’s inclusion even though he’s been out with hernia surgery, or the constant “starting 11″ post…
            I always read posts of guys that are informed, whether I agree or completely disagree.

You’ve been so vehemently outspoken about Green that when I started to read yours, it looked like a prediction of “what would happen” , not “what Biff thinks should happen”
            Then you include Morales and leave out Beck and LD.. that’s a lot of leaps out of left field… any one of them maybe, but coming from you all in one post/prediction.. it just seemed like you were trying to stir the pot…
            If I’m mistaken, then that’s on me.
            If that’s really who you think is the final 23 as of now, well you’ve given your points… subject to change obviously.. so I wouldn’t bust your chops if you made changes.. I think it’s too many surprises, but with JK, expect the unexpected….

• Bac says:

And I’d also add, regarding Donovan, I think the complicated relationship is more in the past than the press would care to admit.. specifically Lalas and Twellman. But it makes for good theatre. I think JKs decision on LD’s playing time will be based on his current form, I think his decision to include him in the 23 will be based on his current form, his experience, and his presence on the team.I think he goes…
            But I don’t think JK has any sentimental attachment to anyone when it comes go time…

Regarding Beckerman, yes a lot of fans don’t want him, but I’d say just as many fans have said they’ve had a change of opinion on him and think he should go. I’m one of them actually. I also think he carries 4 CMs, with Beck Edu and Williams fighting for 2 spots.

• GW says:

Bas,

Donovan came back and lit up the Gold Cup. Since then he has been so- so for LA and his US vs Mexico game was so-so. I see this as a function of a variety of niggling injuries.

Landon is someone who never has really had to deal with injury on a regular basis before and it is clearly affecting him with the Galaxy. It seems he has yet to figure out how to live with his rapidly aging body

The World Cup will be a death march and if Landon is not up to being at his best for three games in a row, physically, then he won’t go it’s really that simple.
              Those of you with the mind reading and the fanciful speculation about his relationship with JK should think more about his relationship to the other 22 possible guys on the roster. He can’t make them better and help them win if he is limping around on the training ground. JK has worked with kinds of unsavory people, guys like Lothar Matthaus and it is irrelevant if JK and Donovan hate each other.

All that matters is does he make them better?

At this point given his health he is probably 50/50 for the 23.

• Bac says:

GW, you know I always respect your opinion, I would say I agree with most of what you said, especially the part about his nagging injuries and how he’s dealing.
                Regarding their relationship, I don’t know more or less than you or the next guy, and I don’t know where it stands now… my opinion is that it’s not as strained as in the past…my point has been more about how the guys like Lalas and Twellman have harped on it so much. Everyone has their respective opinion, mine is that with so many storylines those two are fixated on the LD/JK thing.. that bothers me so there’s the source of the issue for me.
                I guess the only thing I’d kinda disagree with is more along the lines of LDs role. My comment was, his form and fitness will determine his playing time, while the other things will be a factor in including him in the 23. I can see him going but not starting all 3 games. I believe Bradley when he says something like, if we wanna do well in Brazil we’re gonna need Landon.
                I just can’t see him getting cut.. I don’t know if that’s your same sentiment or not

• GW says:

Bac,

I would not expect LD to be a three game starter unless his overall health and form improve dramatically. Which it could.
                Or if Zusi and Bedoya get worse.
                Which they could.

However, if he is going to be a sub will he be like he was against Mexico, basically an ineffective, cameo guy like Arnold in the Expendables?

Or will he be a do everything, go anywhere, impact sub, spot starter, the way Herculez Gomez was at his best.

Really, I wish Herc was around but his role is there for LD to take. No one else is better suited to it.

It all depends on his health.

• biff says:

I also would have said not a chance that Donovan would be snubbed until a comment from The French One the other day, noting that Klinsmann is always good for a surprise and that he thinks Donovan will miss the boat to Brazil. The French One’s comment along with some of the news stories out in recent days, especially about Brooks, Chandler and Green, make me think Klinsmann is going to spring some major surprises with an eye toward giving younger players some WC experience and leaving Landon at home.

• Dinho says:

Klinsmann has always preached that he will bring guys that are playing day-in, day-out at a high level. Landon is doing just that. Can’t say the same about Green or Morales.

There is no way Landon gets left behind (barring injury). And, I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong.

• biff says:

MY 23 FOR BRAZIL AT THIS POINT IN SPACE AND IN TIME

GOALKEEPERS- Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

DEFENDERS- Geoff Cameron, Michael Orozco, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Chris Schuler, Edgar Castillo, Fabian Johnson

MIDFIELDERS- Landy-Cakes, Clint-Cakes, Mikey-Cakes, Jermaine Jones, Maurice Edu (or Kyle Beckerman), Daniel Williams, Graham Zusi, Gringo Torres, Joe Corona, DaMarcus Beasley

FORWARDS- Jozy Altidore, Chris Wondolowski, Terrence Boyd (or Mike Magee)

26. KHall says:

I also think Shea could make the camp, outside of using Landon as a super sub, think having that creative/quick guy off the bench when you’re down a goal could be handy.

27. mb says:

GK: Guzan*, Howard*, Rimando*
    CB: Besler*, Gonzalez*, Goodson*
    CB/OB: Parkhurst^, Ream
    OB/Mid: F. Johnson*, Beasley, Evans
    OB/CB/DM: Cameron*
    CB/DM: Edu
    DM: Jones*, Beckerman^
    Mid: Bradley*, Zusi*, Bedoya*, Corona, Diskerud, Shea, Green
    M/F: Donovan*, Dempsey*
    F: Altidore*, Johannson*, E. Johnson, Wondolowski, Boyd, Agudelo
    * = Final 23 roster locks. ^ = Almost a lock.
    I think our defensive players are pretty straightforward and the final roster decisions will be easier there. The question I think this camp needs to answer is what non-lock players can contribute to the offensive side of the team effectively- the people who can be second half subs to change the game. So this roster is heavier on mids and forwards than most people would project. For that reason, I’ve included Corona (who contributed a lot and showed well at the Gold Cup), Diskerud (a creative central midfielder who keeps getting picked by Klinsmann and pundits), Shea (the ultimate wild card player who can go from looking like a hybrid of Bale and Ronaldo to some Sunday league rec player), Green (the up and coming Bayern Munich player who may have been promised a roster spot if he chose the US over Germany), and Agudelo (a fearless young player who can create and beat defenders off the dribble).
    Honorable mention:
    Williams- dropped b/c there are already 4 other players competing at DM. 2 of them are locks for the roster, 1 is an almost lock, and 1 can play both CB and DM. Playing well for his club. Would really liked to have had him in the camp though. I could change my mind on this one. Could be our DM for the future.
    Brooks- dropped b/c there are already 5 other players competing at CB. 4 of them are locks for the roster, 1 is an almost lock, and 1 has had excellent season being named POTY for his club. he also looked poor in last game for the US. still young with plenty of chances in the future.
    Onyewu- the WC is a competition for healthy young men. we can’t risk a roster spot on you. looked poor in last game for US. keep up the good work at the club level though.
    Klejstan- good player on a team that is consistently in the Champions League but never seems to produce that sort of quality for the US. has never been a favored player under any of the USMNT coaches. I don’t really know why. I just don’t see a role for you at the WC. I’m sorry.
    Magee- Just hasn’t been in the USMNT setup despite his MLS exploits. its too late now for an audition. too bad he got hurt during the last camp. always seems like he could be the poor man’s Del Piero.
    Gomez- injured too much lately. too late now.
    Davis- Great MLS player. Just not a WC player.
    Yedlin- great athlete. right back of the future. just too young and too many mistakes right now.
    Lichaj- Just hasn’t been in the USMNT setup enough. I don’t really know why. Feel like he could have been real contributor at RB. Its too late now.
    Gil- player for the future.
    Spector- jack of all trades, master of none. hasn’t been in the USMNT setup enough.

28. Bac says:

Hard to argue much with this overall 30 (23 a different story)
    1. Edu makes it over Williams b/c his return to MLS has been great…good for Mo
    2. Shea may have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with his move to EPL
    3. I know Davis started the last game, but he’s just too slow for Intl competition
    4. If Coronas resurgence has earned him a spot, then why not Benny?
    5. JFT has played well lately, too bad but I think he still just misses out
    6. For me.. the only wasted spot in this 30 is Brad Evans. Looked horrible at RB the last 4 US games, getting worse each time, and has barely seen the pitch this year, and can’t stay healthy

• The Imperative Voice says:

Shea and Agudelo basically blew it 4 years ago when their early success made them time-servers in MLS with European ambitions. When they were trying in MLS they were both good and would have had their chance here. But then it seemed like they went through the motions killing time and waiting for their European transfer. Shea may make the 30 on potential and Agudelo may have squeezed back in as well, but it’s a cautionary tale about the downside to trying to jump to Europe.

• Bac says:

Yea I’d say a lesson for the future would be, if someone’s got the fire in their belly to play abroad, and want to experience life somewhere else for a short time while they’re young, go for it!
        But be self aware enough that the EPL isn’t the only league that plays soccer outside the US…

29. EA says:

I’m not sure I see the point in listing a bunch players that have never been capped in the “missed the cut”. The vast majority of those were never in any serious contention for a spot in the camp (or at all.)

Matt Hedges, Greg Garza and Dillon Powers won’t make it? You don’t say!

What about Ned Grabavoy or Chris Korb or Sheanon Williams? What are their prospects on making the camp or a possible trip to Brazil?

I also think that there’s at least a 50% chance that Onyewu or Shea (or both) make the camp. Klinsmann has repeatedly shown an affinity for both players, and will probably see if there is any justification to bringing either to Brazil.

30. altidore2adu says:

I know most dont agrree cause they dont see how good Freddie is, but Jurgen should have him on the team cause he has the shill to lead us far in the World Cup

31. dude1 says:

Looks dead on.

32. DCUnitedWillRiseAgain says:

I think we will see Yedlin and Davis in the 30, instead of Corona and Green

33. Brad says:

Shame we can’t take the entire 30 to Brazil. There’s a lot of talent in that group — hard to project who on the fringes gets squeezed out. And I couldn’t be happier when comparing this group to the one we were looking at 4 years ago at this time.
    Let’s beat Ghana convincingly and show how far we’ve come in 4 years on the international stage. Let’s have strong showings against Portugal and Germany and show that we’re a team to watch out for, both now and in the coming years. I think we make a big statement at this WC, even if it only is by our own measure.

34. Mark says:

I think it would be very sad if Klinsmann brings in Julian Green over Brad Davis and Jose Torres.

I know the best and most in form squad should be called up and not necessarily those who “deserve” to go, but Julian Green, Brad Davis, nor Jose Torres are going to the WC and in this case, Davis and Torres really do deserve to make it to the camp.

Green is just a kid and he will have plenty of time to develop with the US squad in the near future. I think we should show some respect to those two guys who have done so much for the sport and the Nats over the past few years.

• Ralph says:

It’s about who performs. Period. Age is of no relevance.

• Increase says:

Over Torres maybe. I’m not much of a Brad fan. He doesn’t have much that Bedoya and Zusi don’t already have. I don’t know that he is quick enough to fall back and cover for Fabian when he overlaps.(Fabian does like a good overlap.)

35. PN says:

Good list, Ives. There is so little discrepancy between some of the players that the actual list may come down to JK’s game strategy for the tournament, and the matchups he envisions. It may not be about who is the better player, but rather what differentiates them from the other candidates for the WC, and helps up get past the group stage.

- 2 of these 4 CBs make the 30 man list: Brooks, Ream, Onyewu, Orozco. They don’t get off the bench unless needed for a specific reason. Does JK value experience over athleticism in the group stage? Then Onyewu may get the nod over Brooks. He’s played well for Sheffield and is healthy. Does he risk an unknown in Ream who has yet to take the pitch for the Nats during his tenure? If so, then Orozco may get the nod, as he’s performed well for the Nats, and brings similar attributes to Ream. It is hard to qualify Ream, as he has yet to take the pitch with the Nats under JK. Picking an unproven player at this stage, despite a good year with a club, doesn’t eliminate others who’ve proven themselves.
    - I question whether JK promised a roster spot for Green. I think he realized he had a better opportunity to crack the lineup with the Nats than with Germany. He’s not ready for the WC now, but really only Corona is in a position to push him off the list for the backup wing MF spot. It may come down to who is the better 2-way player, given our draw. Davis is too slow for this WC group and is a defensive liability.
    - Since both Dempsey and Donovan can play up top, I question whether JK brings in 5 strikers, and opts for a look at another MF instead. The Nats has always played a tough ‘bulldog’ in the DM position. Jones is the likely starter, but is a card liability. Beckerman is skilled but slow, I sense Williams battles Edu for another backup spot. Edu has the edge in versatility (can play CB in a pinch), but Williams has shown well in England, and has played in Germany, so has that edge.
    - Altidore and Johannsson are safe. EJ’s added value is he can drop back to MF in a pinch if tactics change. I see that last spot being between Boyd and Wondo, with Wondo getting the nod. Boyd hasn’t shown as well in his time with the Nats, and doesn’t bring anything extra to the striker pool.

36. Hogatroge says:

I always have my quibbles with Ives’ projections, but for once he and I agree 100%, even if we might project a different 23 from that list. Two key thoughts:

I imagine Brad Evans gets a look in the 23 due to his contributions last year, but I can’t imagine taking him to Brazil if Chandler is even in halfway decent form. The 1st to miss out on the 30, IMO, is Orozco.

Danny Williams is a player I’m happy to see regain form and hope he’s a big part of the team post-WC, but I’ll bet Edu’s experience (and lack of recent injuries) gets him in. Remember that Edu was a constant presence in JK’s starting lineups (even while Bradley wasn’t getting called up) prior to being in limbo at Stoke.

• The Imperative Voice says:

Williams versus Edu will be interesting but I don’t much see the value in either.

37. RBNY says:

There is nobody in this 30 with J.F. Torres’ skill set in the center of the park. Not Beckerman, not Edu. We will need skillful passing and confidence under pressure in the middle of the park in the group. I would call in Torres over Edu in a hearbeat.

• Dinho says:

We will need that more than someone to get stuck in and do the dirty work? I disagree.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a fan of the beautiful game but we will be playing Portugal and Germany (and Ghana). We will not likely have most of the possession in any of those games and will (especially against Germany) need to congest and prevent them from playing the game they want to play.

I am not a big Beckerman fan, but he can do this. And, Edu is a bit more athletic (although not as composed on the ball) and can play this role. So, Torres is unfortunately left out. And, I do mean unfortunately because I think he is a FANTASTIC player.

• RBNY says:

Yes, but you already have Jones in there for that as well. I would take Jones and Beckerman. Edu is redundant to me outside of possibly playing center half in a pinch.

• Dinho says:

Again, I am not knocking Torres (or Benny), but I think you answered your own question there. Edu can play centre back if we need cover. That, to me, is reason enough to bring him.

• Patrick2 says:

Jones is not the youngest man and does pick up the more than occasional muscle injury.

Furthermore, while MB is not injury prone, the way he throws himself around, there is never a guarantee that he won’t find himself going 100 miles an hour into an accidental elbow, or an opposing team defender won’t go too far in trying to upend him in an attempt to slow him down.

If either Jones or MB get hurt, Klinsman will never forgive himself if Edu isn’t on the roster.

• GW says:

“I would want to see Torres or even Feilhaber get a shot – because we currently have no possesion midfielders going if Ives list is anything close to what we are going to send.”

RBNY,

Possession is a team issue. Torres by himself is not going to make much difference if the US game plan is to concede possession to a side with superior skill such as our three group stage opponents, a fairly common tactic.
          There are other ways to win a game besides having superior time of possession. This is not the NFL.
          Gringo’s main competition on this team is MikeyTFC. His ball skills are not that bad.

38. bryan says:

i’m predicting:

GK: Howard, Guzan, Rimando
    D: Beasley, FJ, Parkhurst, Ream, Omar, Besler, Gooch, Brooks, Chandler, Cameron
    M: Dempsey, MB, JJ, Beckerman, Zusi, Bedoya, LD, Mix, Green, Joe, Williams, Edu
    S: Jozy, AJ, Boyd, EJ, Wondo

i’m gonna take a chance and say Goodson and Evans get overlooked (blame Ream & Chandler). but Gooch certainly isn’t a lock and could easily be swapped out. unless Chandler can’t recover, i think he’ll be in camp. if he can’t, i’m gonna guess that Yedlin or Evans is in. Shea is interesting because JK likes him a lot, but i don’t see how he can justify bringing him. Green, I have him here because it seems like JK is set to bring him. but that injury that has kept his out since the Mexico game is making it hard for JK to justify.

• bryan says:

for the 23:

GK: Howard, Guzan, Rimando
      D: FJ, Beasley, Omar, Besler, Brooks, Cameron, Chandler
      M: Dempsey, MB, JJ, Beckerman, Zusi, Bedoya, LD, Mix, Green
      S: Jozy, AJ, Boyd, EJ

Chandler is very iffy, so someone like Ream or Parkhurst could easily be there. Gooch shouldn’t be counted out but I think he’ll end up not making the final 23.

Green is iffy as well but it seems JK is gonna bring him. if not, i’d bring Corona or Williams.

Sorry Wondo, but I think JK sticks with EJ and I think Ives is correct in saying that Boyd is basically a lock for the 23.

• Dinho says:

bryan,

Both great posts. I tend to agree with almost everything.

I hope evans is left out but I’m on the fence with Orozco…. I think he offers more bite than most (if not all) on that backline. Plus, he can distribute, especially compared to someone like Gooch… along those lines, don’t you think Gooch, But, I guess you raise a point by excluding Goodson. It will be interesting.

• bryan says:

good point on Orozco. i think his injury is what hurts him. poor timing which is too bad. because i agree, he would be a good option. like Ives said in his podcast, he brings something different than the taller/aerial threats we have.

• Dinho says:

Oh, didn’t hear Ives podcast, but I agree. Must be a smart man. :)

And, despite not being a giant, Orozco is good in the air. Again, he has that bite/fight in him. We will need that.

39. CharlieG says:

prediction starting 23…

Howard
    Chandler-Besler-Cameron-Ream
    Bedoya – MB – Jones – F Johnson
    Dempsey
    Jozy

40. Jesse says:

I see no need to bring in both Corona and Mix. Neither will make the final 23 and they both would be competing for the same role.

41. robojohnson says:

tim ream?? Why don’t we ever bring in young players.. if championship = mls.. whoscored has ream as a 7 yedlin as a 7.4…. and he’s faster and can attack more, i have no idea with the us soccer media’s homerism with mediocre usmnt prospects.. it’s so annoying

• Ives Galarcep says:

Championship doesn’t equal MLS, and how on earth do you think a Whoscore rating is a viable system to evaluate players? Nevermind the fact Ream and Yedlin don’t play the same positions. Get a clue my friend, if Yedlin was a viable centerback prospect then you’d have a point, but as it stands, your comment is pretty silly.

• bryan says:

you just got owned!

42. Ryan says:

There are some MLS players out listed who are taking the spots of better players. But if JK sees that these MLS guys have more to offer, then hopefully he will show that in the group of death. We’ve got the deepest striking pool in us history, I’d hate to waste this opportunity on Wondo and EJ.

• EA says:

I’d argue that Joe-Max Moore, Brian McBride, Landon Donovan, Clint Mathis and Earnie Stewart (and Josh Wolff and DaMarcus Beasley) in 2002 were a pretty damned strong group.

43. JJ says:

My predicted 23:

—————- Jozy —————-
    ————- Dempsey ————-
    Donovan ———————- Zusi
    ——- Bradley —- Jones ———
    Fabian — Besler — Cam — Timmy
    ————— Timmy ————–

GK: Guzan, Rimando
    DEF: Gonzo, Ream, Beasley, Evans
    MID: Bedoya, Beckerman, Mix, Green
    FWD: Aron, Wondo

• Dinho says:

I would prefer Parkhurst or Orozco to Evans…. just my 2 cents. Otherwise, I like it.

• JJ says:

I think Klinsy is really into rewarding guys for hard work and good performances. Evans did very well in qualifying, that’s why I’m picking him.

I don’t think Parkhurst could excite me any less.

I could see Orozco beating Evans out, however with my other selections we have enough CB depth and I see Evans as more versatile.

• Patrick2 says:

Parkhurts isn’t exciting, but he doesn’t screw up (much that that I know of). He is a natural RB that can play CB, and at 5-11 he’s tall enough to be really useful defending set pieces. Again, he’s a natural defender which Evans is not, and I am WAY more worried about the back line than the midfield in Klinsy’s 4-5-1 and 4-4-2 . Yes Evans is a natural midfielder that can play in the back, but I think the USMNT midfield is crowded enough as it is, and if I’m going to bring a midfielder that can play in the back I’d rather have Edu.

• GW says:

” He is a natural RB that can play CB,”

Michael broke in as a centerback with the Revs..A really good one. It was in Denmark that he eventually converted to right back.

After the World Cup he is most likely going to play center back for Columbus.

44. Patrick2 says:

I wonder ( if it isn’t for the fact that the US doesn’t train for it) if going for a Mexican/Piojo style 5-3-2/3-5-2 wouldn’t solve a lot of the USA’s problems vs Ghana/Portugal. Given:

1. Altidore is a LOT better with a partner.
    2.Cristiano Ronaldo. While great in the air, still does most of his damage on vicious runs, as such I want speedy defenders that can (sort of) keep up with him and winger defenders that can help in midfield and cut off passing lanes.
    3. Ghana’s midfield is scary. I want those winger defenders to help gum them up.
    So:

—-Jozy——Boyd/AJ—

—Clint —–MB—–LD/Zuzi/Bedoya

FJ—-DMB–Beasler–Cameron—Chandler/Yedlin

Fwds: Altidore – Boyd (with orders to wear people out, win kicks/cards and intimidate) (first sub AJ, and /or Clint getting pushed up).
    Midfield: Clint-MB- some combination of LD-Zuzi-Bedoya.
    Backline: Leftwide: FJ – Leftcenter: Beasly – Center: Beasler – Rightcenter: Cameron – Right wide- Chandler (Cameron if not healthy, with Gonzo back in the lineup).

Supersubs Midfield: LD for at least one game (I want him hungry, pissed and well rested) and (gulp) maybe Shea. Why? Lets be honest, we WILL be behind at somewhere along the line and will need a viscous (desperate?) counterattack at some point. Rightside D Supersub: Yedlin. If we are getting overrun anyways, his inexperience will be MUCH less of a liability than his athleticism will be an asset.

Against Germany I’d probably revert to the usual Klinsy 4-5-1/ 4-4-2 with Jones and MB in full destroyer modes to not let Germany push us around (too much), and later in the game a 4-4-2 diamond with MB up front and Bekerman as the Destroyer…maybe Edu instead if more firepower is needed. Backline with 4? Ideally: FJ-Besler-Cameron-Chandler (if Chandler is still not up to speed, Cameron either moves back right and Gonzo moves in at CB, or if Yedlin has played and played well he goes to the right).

So line up difference vs what Ives has written up AND to get to 23?:

GOAL: no changes (3 towards roster)

DEFENDERS-SAME: Geoff Cameron, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Fabian Johnson, Timmy Chandler, DaMarcus Beasley, Michael Parkhurst, Tim Ream. (8 towards roster) (Note: FJ, Timmy, and Beasly can all play midfield wings I believe).

I take Ream because he is playing near the top of his game and is a good passer. Besler, Gonzales, Cameron and Ream constitute enough guys that can play CB, have good size and speed. Parkhurts can also play in the middle at 5-11 and play right back and has Bundesliga experience.

Changes: I recall reading that teams have a tendency to take way too many defenders to the World Cup that don’t make the pitch. OUT: Goodson (cringe, as sated above, we have enough guys that can play in the center), Brooks (not enough experience, just because he had one bad ass game against the worst team in the Bundesliga is not enough, and Omar already takes the talented but “scares me on ballwatching” big man spot), Brad Evans (I’ll have enough flexible players).
    IN: Yedlin – I want his speed and athleticism if we start getting overun….which is a distinct danger in ALL the games. (1 towards roster, 12 as of right now).

MIDFIELDERS SAME- Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Landon Donovan, Jermaine Jones, Graham Zusi, Alejandro Bedoya, Kyle Beckerman, Maurice Edu, (8 towards roster, total now 20)

FORWARDS- Jozy Altidore, Aron Johannsson, Terrence Boyd, (Total 23) (don’t need more because Clint and LD can be pushed up in a pinch.)

The guys that would make the roster after the inevitable two injuries to someone and my LAST cuts to the 30 man roster? Green, Williams, Shea. ( SHEA?! What?!) Shea HAS to be there as a practice player. Is he CR7? HAHA no. But who else do you want practicing against our defense that is big, tall, strong, scary fast and can dribble? Williams and Green are first on my reserve list and last to be cut because they will be very valuable in practice.

Guy Klinsy will almost surely take I wouldn’t?: EJ. EJ has for the most part done will by Klinsy. I just figure he would never start, and while can be a super valuable sub, if we are behind it’s because our midfield is getting overrun, not because Clint and company aren’t dangerous enough up front. I’d rather take as many speedy guys that are more comfortable in the middle of the pitch as possible.

If Brooks DOES impress at camp and we need to score at all cost this is my desperation lineup designed to give us as much firepower and setplay height as possible:

–Altidore/AJ——–Boyd
    ———Clint(rover)——-

FJ/Shea—–MB—–LD/Zuzi/Bedoya

Beasly-Gonzo—Brooks —Cameron (Chandler sub)

45. Pete says:

Locks
    GK: (3) Howard, Guzan, Rimando
    DEF: (4) Beasler, Beasley, Cameron, Gonzo
    MID: (7) Donovon, FJ, Bedoya, Zusi, Jones, Bradley, Dempsey
    FWD: (3) Altidore, AJ, Boyd

You can’t view it as who he brings but that means there are 6 spots left. Defensively I like him to bring three more: Ream, Chandler, Gooch or Parkhurst, Chandler, Gooch… The most serious battle will be between Edu/Beckerman/Williams, because one of them is on the plane if not two of them… I see him moving Dempsey to FWD on the list, but still leaves 6 spots.

Who Wins these battles:
    DEF: Brooks, Gooch, Goodson, Parkhurst, Yedlin, Evans, Chandler, Ream (Pick 2 or 3)
    My Picks: Brooks, Chandler
    Klinsi: Brooks, Parkhurst

MID: Beckerman, Williams, Edu, Green, Shea, Gil (Pick 2 or 3)
    My Picks: Edu, Beckerman, Green
    Klinsi: Edu, Beckerman, Green

FWD: EJ, Wondo, Agudelo (Pick 1)
    My Picks: Agudelo
    Klinsi: Agudelo (He will come in camp and kill)

• Dinho says:

Pete:

I don’t see Boyd as a lock. Although I ultimately agree he should go.

Agudelo may not even be called into camp, gotta do that to come and “kill.”

46. SingularityCup says:

Well it all comes to a head in a week. Good projection. Better than MLS.com Matt Doyle.

• bryan says:

im so glad you said that. i like Doyle, he has some great content. but wow, his three part series was a little silly at times. especially the defenders one.

47. Del Shaffer says:

I want to drop Eddie “stepover” Johnson and Joe Corona. I want to see Yedlin and Brek Shea added.

48. spikenyc says:

Only one I think you’ve got wrong is Corona. Danny Williams will be given the opportunity, unless completely ruled out by injury. If he shows well, and looks close to 100%, he may possibly take Beckerman’s spot.

• John says:

Beckerman goes because he is the only true 6, Williams, Edu, and Jones are all box to box midfielders.

49. Dan says:

Obviously, he’s not going to make the camp, but does anyone know how Josh Gatt’s recovery is coming along? I’d love to see him and Joe Gyau really develop and give us a real speed threat on the wings down the line. (maybe with Yedlin behind him?)

50. Carlos says:

Yes. great prediction on the 30. I only take one exception, I believe DeAndre Yedlin will be invited to camp and he has an outside chance to make the final 23.

But I have a question, what happened to that guy, Expat, who said Julian Green would declare for the USMNT and then he did, then the guy said there would be a shake-up in the USMNT coaching staff and that happened too? And then he disappeared, We haven’t heard from him since.

He did say Green would start in Brazil and if I remember correctly made a bet on it. Whatever happens, I hope to see him posting here again.

51. Abo says:

Add Zelalem to the list … sciaretta is reporting he’s in DC .. To pick up his passport

• Carlos says:

Yes, it is a new day for soccer in the USA folks, It is a new train coming into the station, either get on it or stay where you are.

1. we have our very first, the first one ever, world-class striker.
      2. we have a new coaching crew
      3. we have an Americas tournament beginning in 2016, in which I might add, the USA and Mexico will have to play against Brazil, Argentina, et al. In my opinion, I don’t believe we can win the first one, the 2016 one, but we, and Mexico too, will have a chance.
      4. the big teams and leagues want to get into the American market, you know, make some money.
      5. Well, isn’t that really good for us,

Now, what does all of that mean for soccer in the U.S. and to you commenters at SBI or Ives yourself, you tell me.

• Bolton Wonderer says:

Americans will pay an alien to play for the MNT. What an embarrassment. All other countries, no exception, grooms their players from the early ages and develops them with pride. America is morally empty. The MNT should be renamed to reflect United States FC. Oh well the whole world is going in that direction. You have Turks and Africans now playing for Germany. So, in all fairness Germany should also be Germany FC. And, France should be renamed to French African FC.

52. Chris H says:

Most of the picks seem right, but I think Klinsi will crave the “X-factor” player who can change a game late when needed. His favorite go to guy in the past has been Shea (regardless of form). Others who can come in and change a game late with strong runs against a tired defense?
    Possibly a Green or Mix..
    My mind goes to Castillo. I hate him as a defender, but as a last 20 minutes of the game menace I would pick him. I think Klinsi will include someone like that who can come in and bring some serious crazy when needed.

53. Murray Braun says:

This is a USMNT without a left wing starter. Not Dempsey, Donovan, Fabian, Davis, Bedoya, Corona, Beasley, Shea or Torres could handle the job against our WC opponents or even,
    I suspect the warm-ups vs Azerbaijan, Nigeria and Turkey.
    Big problem.

54. Trey says:

Anyone thinking Mix isn’t going to be on the 23?

55. bob says:

this is perfect. if brooks and ream start (i’d like to see it), with chandler and johnson, cameron could finally be the real holding midfielder that bradley needs to explode offensively.

56. BryanTheChamp says:

BREK SHEA NEEDS TO BE ON THE USMNT WORLD CUP TEAM!

REMEMBER ALL OF THE POSITIVE IMPACTS HE MADE OVER THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS?

57. rtteh4t says:

No Marvell Wynne or Jonathan Bornstein?

58. Zack says:

Watching Galaxy games and paying a lot of attention to Omar, its shocking how bad he really is. I wish I had the time or the ability to put together a highlight piece on “OMG, what was Omar thinking or doing on this play”
    Watch the 1st Colorado goal vs the Galaxy and look for Omar running away from the back post chip/shot…where was he going?

59. Bolton Wonderer says:

18. Mix Diskerud
    19. Alejandro Bedoya
    20. Brad Davis
    21. Chris Wondolowski
    22. Eddie Johnson
    23. Aron Johannsson

Not expecting Altidore and Gonzalez, while heavy hitters, to increase their reliability during camp. Accordingly, there is good reason to believe that their spots may go to players who are currently playing well, have more confidence, and are more consistent.

• The Garrincha says:

I see a lot of great comments and insight here.

At this time this would be my 30 something?.

legend value key: C1. means, has ability to cover one position,
      C2. can cover at least two positions.
      C3. can cover three or more positions.

positional flexibility is an intangible, yet a tangible value that may or may not give one player an edge and advantage over another?.
      If not listed player X, just missed the 30?.
      If there is a Question mark(?), next to them that indicates they are a redundant player and they will be battling it out with another questionable player.
      If no Question mark next to their name I consider them a lock to make the 23 man roster barring things unforeseen.

Keeping the house together, Hulk Howard, The Wild Guzan, & Ramshack Rimando.
      (has there been a more set in stone trio than these guys?).

Defense:
      Besler c2 , Cameron c3, Parkhurstc2?, Ream c3?, Beaslely c3
      Edu c3, Gooch c1?, (Brooks c2?, would be interested to know if he could play outside back?), Goodson c1?, Chandler c2?, Yedlinc2?. Gonzo c1?. Schuler c2?.

Midfield:
      Bradley c3, JJ c2, Edu c3, Beckerman c1,c2?, Williams c2?, Deuce c2, Donovan c2,
      Mix c2?, Bedoya c3, Zusi c2, FJohnson c3, Green c2, Corona c2?.

Forwards:
      EJ c2?, Altidore c1, Iceman c2, Agudelo c2?, WonderWow c1?, Boyd c1?.

Side note: Shea?, has always been an intriguing player, however has not been able to put it all together consistently.
      Ironically I see him much in the way I see Freddy Adu, enigmatic in there play albeit Shea, has had far many more looks and opportunities to show..
      As I stated months ago Green, is a more advanced, skilful, and potentially more impacting combination of the two.

62. Eric K says:

Definitely what I expect to see in announcement Monday…

…almost…

I am still perplex with the obession with Julien Green. Aside from his enlightening cameo against Mexico and Youtube videos of his performances with Bayern Munich’s youth reserve squad, but with little to no first team action, one cap with the U.S.–not to mention his injury keeping him off the field since–I can’t see a reason why or how he’s earned an immediate ticket to Brazil. Should be listed as an alternative at best.

Instead should be a player in form playing first team, top league football (i.e. not a reserve or lower division side). Since Green’s a wide player, it should be a wide player, and from the list of “missing the cut”, Brad Davis would fit the role best, with Brek Shea following closely behind despite limited playing time in England. One can even argue the case for Edgar Castillo, who’s proven better in the offensive have than his left back position.

Tim Ream is also an interesting case. I haven’t seen any of Bolton’s games this season, meaning I haven’t seen him play at all, but I remember being excited when he was recruited to the EPL–when Bolton got relegated. I’m not saying I don’t like him, but are there no other top flight options? I’m thinking about unbeaten Real Salt Lake’s towering center d-men: Nat Borchers and Billy Schuler. Borchers has the international experience, while Schuler has the physicality needed to face the Germans if Besler or Gonzo were to go down.

Aside from that, everything seems in place for this list. Wouldn’t mind seeing Yedlin there, too, though.