SBI MLS Player of the Week: Matt Hedges

MattHedges2 (ISIPhotos.com)

By CAITLIN MURRAY

Matt Hedges helped lead FC Dallas to victory Saturday against a strong Toronto FC side, assisting on the game-winning goal and scoring one of his own to keep FCD as the team to beat. Hedges earned SBI MLS Player of the Week honors for his performance.

It was late in the 88th minute that Hedges helped FCD hold onto their No. 1 spot on the Western Conference table. A deep free kick was headed by Hedges before falling to Blas Perez for the game-winning shot.

In the 37th, Hedges got on the end of a near post corner kick from Michel and knocked it into the far netting, grabbing his second goal of the season.

Hedges beat out a group of contenders that includes Sporting KC’s Dom Dwyer, Seattle’s Clint Dempsey and Real Salt Lake’s Nick Rimando for this week’s honors

What did you think of Hedges’ performance? Which player impressed you the most in Week 7?

This entry was posted in Featured, MLS- FC Dallas, SBI MLS Player of the Week. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to SBI MLS Player of the Week: Matt Hedges

1. Increase0 says:

He seems good in the air. Should we bring him into camp to put pressure on Omar? Maybe we get lucky and find another Besler.

• Dman says:

Its a little late for looking at new guys, but Omar is almost making it a requirement at this point.

• JC says:

I doubt he’ll be called in. He’s in better form than both Omar and Goodson right now but given his lack of international experience, he might be too much of a gamble to take at this point.

Ha, I said Hedges is a gamble and Omar will probably start against Ghana…

• Increase0 says:

Hah, ya I know what you guys mean. The problem with Omar is the kind of mistakes he makes. Tactics can’t really fix massive mental mistakes.

2. Joe says:

something about hedges says usmnt defender. Too late for this cycle but I could see him being in the 2018 picture.

3. Zac says:

Give Hedges and Schuler looks for 2018

4. Sean Doyle says:

Another Reading United alum performing at a very high level in MLS. Proud of him! Keep it up, Matthew!

5. Alex says:

I love Matt Hedges. In addition to the header he scored on, he almost scored on another header from a corner as well. I’ve seen him in person twice this year, and I can’t think of any defender in MLS I’ve seen who is playing as well or with more confidence. His passing and work on the ball is also excellent. IMO, he’s better in every facet – defensively as well as his offensive contributions – in comparison with Omar – at least right now. Obviously, I’m using MLS league play for my comparison.

6. Agajuice says:

Problem is that I don’t see Omar improving with experience and training camps. His mental mistakes seem natural and hard to overcome. I say bring Hedges to the camp! He is so calm in defense and not error prone. Come on Jurgen….take a gamble on Hedges and watch it pay off!

7. Pingback: key6 geo1 | , geo1 | key5, geo1