U.S. Soccer unveil 2014 USMNT World Cup home uniform

USAWorldCupJerseyHome2014 (USSoccer)

By DAN KARELL

The day we’ve been waiting for has finally arrived.

No, not the start of the World Cup, but the release of the U.S. Men’s National Team’s latest uniform that they’ll wear at the World Cup. Designed by official partners Nike, this uniform is an all-white kit with red lining at the end of the sleeves and the polo-type collar. The jersey features a return to the regular U.S. Soccer crest and the jersey top features faint grey horizontal hoops from the top to the bottom.

The rest of the uniform features white shorts and white socks, with a red stripe running down the side of the shorts.

The 2014/2015 uniform is already on sale on USSoccer.com for fans who want to purchase it ahead of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

———-

What do you think of the uniform? Like the design? Think it’s too plain? Would you have rather seen them go a different direction?

This entry was posted in Featured, U.S. Men's National Team, U.S. Soccer, World Cup 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

260 Responses to U.S. Soccer unveil 2014 USMNT World Cup home uniform

1. Yournamehere says:

The centennial was a lot better should have kept that crest. This looks like a polo shirt.

• CS says:

I was going to buy this jersey but i realize I have it in my closet already: or at least 99% of it. Now all I need to do it print out an adhesive copy of the Flying Soccer Ball crest and I’m done. Maybe I will do the Centennial Crest instead.

Thanks Nike and USMNT, you just saved me $80!

• Luetchy says:

I was just thinking this. White polo? I’ve already got it!

• ATX_Colin says:

Ha, touche, it really is a boring jersey, looks like a travel shirt teams would wear.

• CeezNYRB says:

Luetchy,

This isn’t a direct response to you. I was just hoping for better visibility…

Everyone, the best way to get a message across is to hit where it hurts. I sincerely think we should boycott the jersey. No one buy it. This isn’t meant as an attack on US Soccer. Regardless of the jersey design, I will stand by my national team come the World Cup. This is about getting our collective message across regarding the direction we as supporters want to go in terms of our identity. It is plain as day that the overwhelming majority of supporters prefer the Centennial crest (not to mention the unoriginal design of the new jersey). Want to send a message? Make sure it gets heard.

No one buy the new jersey. Also, send a quick email (doesn’t have to be a book…about 50 words) simply stating that you’re not buying and which crest you would prefer to see. Again, this isn’t about sabotage. Let’s just see what happens. Who knows? It might work…

• CeezNYRB says:

I just sent my message. If you want to contribute, go to ussoccer.com, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Contact Us, choose the Communications/PR department to write to, and then write your message.

It would be amazing if our messages achieve our objective. Let’s hope we get the centennial crest back.

• Matt Rasmussen says:

Agree on telling US Soccer that we don’t like the “jersey.” 1,000 comments on SBI may not get their attention but that many negative posts on their Facebook page, Twitter, or directly to them from the “Contact Us” page of the website will hopefully get their attention.

I think this is a decent shirt for fans but it’s attrocious as a jersey to represent our country. Jerseys should not have collars or buttons. The clip-art soccer ball crest is juvenile and embarrassing. The Centennial crest was motivating.

I’m also one that didn’t like the “where’s Waldo” jersey at first because it literally evoked Waldo before anything else. However, I later realized that it represented the red and white stripes of the US flag and since then I liked it. This shirt doesn’t represent anything, regardless of any marketing talking about one country, one team. Grey stripes on white is meaningless.

• drew says:

Well of course you stand by the team, no matter what. I agree. Don’t buy this. Nike expects you to buy it because it is the year of the World Cup and they know that no matter what they produce, people will buy it. And Us Soccer slaps a $150 price tag on. Go check out the US Soccer store online. For real, take a white polo out of your closet and just stencil everything on(crest, nike swoosh, player name and number) post a picture of it on their facebook page and save your money. Don’t let Nike and US Soccer get away with spending 5 minutes designing a kit and then try to charge you $150/$90

• Rocco says:

I still have my catholic school polo from 20 years ago and a Windows 95 PC in my closet. I think I can slap a knock off together in about 10 mins.

• Scott says:

I think that you are missing some of the more subtle design details, like the white color, the collar and the soccer ball on the crest that lets you know what sport they are playing. All sarcasm aside, this is a fail any way you look at it. Glad that I bought the centennial jersey. Hate this silly current crest.

• ZTom says:

“”Thanks Nike and USMNT, you just saved me $80!””

$80? It says $149.99!

No inflation here, no siree lqtm..

I wouldn’t give Nike and Gulati $149.99 of my money even if my life depended on it.

What a joke. What happened to things being cheaper when they’re manufactured in
        asian sweatshops? (sarc)

• Hogatroge says:

A third-grader could draw a reasonable approximation of that crest with 2 colors of highlighter marker.

• AII says:

The rumor is the shorts will be acid-washed jeans.

• Alex H says:

I totally disagree. It does NOT look like a polo shirt……It looks like a golf shirt and I am prepared to initiate web jihad on all those that disagree!!!!

• EBL says:

These guys summed it up perfectly: “Gift Shop at Wimbledon” look

One Word: Disappointed

• David N. says:

Sign the petition>>>

link to change.org

• DrD says:

I’m a research scientist who loves the beautiful game and tries to play.

Not sure I like the looks of this one but looks are everything. Anyone play in this jersey? I remember playing for 90 mins in a number 17 wishing I had a number 1 on my back when the game hit the extra minutes. Tight matches are won/lost by the extra 2% effort?

Looks to me that we leadership that knows how to win and want to win against popular opinion.

Hey, aren’t we in this to win?

2. John says:

we won independence from England so we wouldn’t have to dress like them

also the awful flying soccer ball is back

ugh

3. KJ says:

Ewwww. We’re not going out to play a leisurely game of golf. No polo shirt. Get rid of the collar and buttons.

• William the Terror says:

Agreed. Looks like something from the blue light special rack at K Mart. This is a big step backwards.

• Luetchy says:

What time is tee off?

• Plain Vanilla says:

You know it’s bad when even the Associated Press ran the wire article regarding the release of the jersey with the headline “New US World Cup jersey resembles golf shirt”. Clearly, some things are not just a matter of opinion.

4. swifty says:

I like it actually, but I wish it had the centinial crest.

• The Imperative Voice says:

I think the distinction is more OK/bad than awesome/bad. The visceral reation we all get to the restoration of the current logo tells you the current logo needs to go, not that we need to adopt the tepid but slightly better throwback.

• Paul Miller says:

Me too. Wear simple kits, save the complexity for the game.

5. DW says:

Horrible. Looks like a golf shirt. Centennial jersey was so much better, and we should have kept the red stripes.

Very disappointing.

• JH says:

I disagree. The red stripes looked pretty bad to me. I like this kit. Our home uniform has been traditionally all white and this uniform kept with that.

• IndyElevenFan says:

Like it or not, but the red hoops made the U.S. identifiable. When you watch international football, you know who is playing instantaneously based on their kits (Argentina is light blue and white verticals; brazil is yellow shirt with green accents with blue shorts, mexico is green-white-red, France is blue-white-red, Germany is white-black….no one else wheres horizontal/ hoops). I say we should’ve stuck with it.

Also…if anyone cares…supporters wearing the home (hoops) and road (blue with white sleeves) could have made a pretty awesome looking knock-off flag if they positioned themselves in the stands correctly.

6. Niles says:

Well, this is disappointing beyond words. Maybe one day US Soccer will have an identity the fans can be proud of, instead of this lazy copy-cat bs we’re having to put up with right now. I’m buying the hoops from last year for this WC. No way I’m supporting this one. What a bummer…

• Luetchy says:

The away jersey will be red and maybe have some creativity… I hope.

• Micronesia Justin says:

It’s blue with a white and red chevron. It is AWFUL. The home kit looks like what the players would wear on their way to the game. The away kit looks like what the players would wear while warming up. So disappointed.

• Luetchy says:

No, the design you mention is a fake. See Footy Headlines dot com. They’ve been right every time I’ve seen.

7. chris says:

I guess they designed it like this so more fans would buy them and wear them like a golf shirt? Not a fan.

8. SoccerStar says:

Terrible. Time to go valet cars at the yacht club.
    At least should have kept the centennial crest.
    I was going to buy a jersey, but there’s no way I’m buying this one!

• The Imperative Voice says:

Yeah, we’re ok if we have to play tennis at Wimbledon or cricket, though.

9. Sheriff Bart says:

Might as well put a little alligator on it. Who approves these things at the Federation? Don’t they want to increase revenue by having a killer kit? Plain and simple I hate the collar and always will. It is just not appealing to wear as a sports top. There are not many sports that utilize the collar these days. Perhaps if I buy one I can cut it off.

10. andrew says:

Disappointing. If they got rid of the collar it’d be better.

11. wood chip zip says:

Barf. Havent used that word in twenty years, but this jersey made me.

12. wood chip zip says:

The shade of blue is wrong also. The American flag has navy blue not royal blue.

• foooo says:

who cares about the shade of blue?
      remember the miracle on ice? that team wore… wait for it… ROYAL BLUE!
      I’m sure plenty of people bitch and moan that they didn’t wear navy.

• wood chip zip says:

you know why the shade of blue matters? Because red, white, and royal blue are the colors of Russia, Slovakia, Czech republic, Slovenia, Croatia. I live in an area with a lot of immigrants from those countries. When I see red, white, and royal blue I think of those countries not the USA. Would you be happy if US Soccer decided to make the home jerseys Green?

• Foo says:

Green? Seriously? We’re talking different shades of blue, not different colors.
          In fact, royal blue has been used many times. The U.S. won it’s first ever title (1991 inaugural Gold Cup) wearing an all-royal blue uni.

• K-Town says:

The shade of blue bothers me too.

13. AC says:

Change that crest and I’ll buy it

14. Kris says:

UK jersey with our worst crest. Underwhelming.

15. B-Bo says:

Collars are always a welcome sight, though the button up aspect is a bit awkward. And I guess keeping the centennial badge just made too much sense. Do better with the road kit, Nike. Otherwise I’ll just stay with the centennial, thanks.

16. Older & Wiser says:

Boring.

17. MLSatlanta says:

Surely Nike has to be doing some sort of market research before and after they release a kit? Do they not hear that literally everyone hates the crest and no one is down with this god awful England rip off? It is so bizarre to me that this is still happening. Listen to the fans damn it!! We are the ones that are supposed to buy it.

18. Don the Jewler says:

It’s basically a knock off of the US Ryder club 2014 – Adidas Pique Angular Performance Polo jersey

19. Fred says:

Hilary Clinton 2016 pants suit shirt.

20. Chicago Josh says:

Booooooooo! (Bronx Cheer) Pathetic effort.

21. petaluman says:

Nike, you can do better.

22. Stevemusa says:

Nike leaked it and everybody hated it. Still hate it. I can only hope that terrible sales teaches them a lesson. But an extreme disappointment in a World Cup year.

23. Tim says:

This is HORRIBLE. Couldnt agree more about the market research comment. Nike must have asked someone what they thought of this horrific design before deciding to go with it. This is beyond disappointing.

24. Travis in Miami says:

Yawn… I’m going throw back this WC. Gonna feature the 2002 home and away…

• Travis in Miami says:

That being said…once JK’s boys win the group I’ll go straight our and buy it – LOL

25. Bruce Arena says:

This comments are all hilarious. Sad, but true.

26. Moretti says:

This is the worst soccer shirt I have ever seen, wtf nike? All the money you have to hire the best creative minds and this? I’m actually insulted and so should be the players. Will never buy this

27. Paul Gelvezon says:

Horrible. Nice golf shirt though. #nike

28. mouf says:

Nothing fresh about this

More than one person thought this was a good idea, pretty amazing to think about

29. Ryan Nanez says:

This is pretty awful. Now I’m hoping that blue and red away jersey that was leaked is true. I also think like 98% of fans dislike this jersey. I believe that’s the most I’ve ever seen

30. AC says:

Did they ask the Nike golf division for advice on its design?

31. Hejduk4President says:

We can only hope the away jersey has some combination of stars, stripes, and a flaming bald eagle and/or an angry-looking Uncle Sam.

32. IMSYE says:

This kit feels like England’s sloppy seconds

33. the original jb says:

I think it would suck to have to play 90 min in a collared shirt

34. Tim says:

Is it too late to ask Adidas to step in and design the away version?

• Bumby Hemmingway says:

I would start looking to another US company, such as Under Armor. Why don’t these companies look to crowd sourcing or put three options out there and let the people vote on the best one?

• Ali Dia says:

Pretty sure that’s what those “leaked” shirts were all about. Except this one never came up for feedback. Oops.

35. Don Pelayo says:

Why return to the hideous, 90s-style crest? The centennial was classy.

36. Don Pelayo says:

You should do poll, Ives, to have fans rate this jersey. I would expect a highly negative reaction to it.

37. Ray L. says:

Woke up to my nightmare this morning. I was really hoping Nike wouldn’t do this but they did. Why does US Soccer refuse to listen to the supporters? This is a slap in the face and a WC year to boot. Our boys looked tough in the centennial crest jerseys and the hoops gave us identity on and off the pitch. They should have slapped the centennial crest on the hoop jersey. I am just disgusted….I will not be purchasing one….thanks US Soccer and thanks Nike for paying no attention to we the people……garbage.

• GJJ says:

Hoops and centennial crest…………..that is genius. I think the hoops jersey is something that can be worn for generations with just a small tweak each WC cycle. I will not be buying this jersey.

38. Kate says:

CONGRATULATIONS Nike…. I didn’t think anyone could make Ralph Lauren’s Olympics sweater look good! I wish we had Croatia’s jersey, those will look fantastic in the stands!

39. away goals says:

It’s fine if we’re starting zach johnson and tiger woods up top.

40. BrianK says:

Lame. We need something distinctive,…like the Argentina vertical blue stripes. Our home jersey should be the 2012 horizontal red stripes. Our away jersey should be the 1995 navy blue uniform.

The crest is a joke,…the flying soccer ball,…the three stars (???),…no bald eagle.

• White Kix says:

Those 95 jerseys were the best, and the collars popped like no other. Cantona and Yorke were jeaolus of those collars, that’s how great they were.

41. PimpHand says:

I wish i could b!@tch slap whoever approved of this design.

42. Yusef says:

Because we aren’t a traditional power, we can’t have a standard home kit? What was wrong with the red hoops or the blue vertical don’t tread on me stripes? Let’s lock something down!

43. Chicago Josh says:

The faux denim jerseys from 1994 were terrible, but at least they had character. This is a Casual Friday shirt.

44. pgloerse says:

I guess an all white look might be a bit cooler in the Brazilian heat…

45. Suave says:

What a bunch of babies. If the shirt was ugly, you’d complain, if it’s white with red trim, you complain. Who cares? I don’t think Nike is going to take into account the 100 or so whiners on Ives. Don’t buy it, wear your old jersey and cheer on the boys. Pathetic.

• mouf says:

HOW DARE PEOPLE ON OPINIONS ON AN ITEM THAT IS INTENDED FOR THEIR PURCHASE!

Frankly, people have more authority to comment on a shirt (we all likely wear to shirt, everyday, and have our whole lives) than they do soccer/football

• mouf says:

Edit: “likely wear a shirt”

• Suave says:

I wouldn’t agree that it is item intended for your purchase but rather a representation of the country. If they put the ball in the net, the collars put up, and we win games at the WC, does it matter? I bet still people will complain about the shirt. Lame.

Or should type it in all bold caps so I can really get my point across….

• Chris says:

A little extreme, but I do agree. Soccer jerseys seem to be hit or miss quite often…just gotta deal with it.

• SilverRey says:

Typically when any shirt comes out you have the people who love it and the people who hate it. Everybody has their opinions despite what yours may be and how fervent you are. With this one it seems pretty clear though, I have yet to hear a positive statement about it.

• Niles says:

Not so suave, Suave.

46. euroman says:

There must be some mistake, this the US Men’s National Golf Team shirt.

47. ThatKidNandez says:

Suprised face

48. Expat4455 says:

I wonder what the shirt would have looked like if we asked Adidas to submit one.

49. Dman says:

Good news

If we don’t get out of the group we can pull a US speed-skating and blame these ridiculous costumes.

50. Expat4455 says:

By the way, if anyone picks up on a report from the Frankfurt USMNT training grounds today would you please post a link here.

• arsenal says:

I had saw a post on twitter by some ESPN writer who is at the camp. He said,” Green looked as you’d would expect: quick feet, sharp finisher, committed on offense and defense drills. A little bit nervous.”

Also, I saw a video, which I can’t find now, of him one vs one Bedoya and he did a bunch of stepovers and bit him for a shot on goal.

51. What a shockingly bad USA soccer crest. That flying soccer ball is truly an embarrassment. I’ve been studying the logos of the other countries, and the USA logo is terrible when compared to every other country. Sigh.

Why can’t we update the crest to the centennial version?

As another poster suggested, does this jersey come with a pair of mom jeans?

Come on USA soccer federation, we deserve better.

• cps says:

Exactly. Why is it so difficult to update the crest? Who exactly is the stubborn person at USSF who won’t agree to it? Can Ives or another soccer reporter ask this question of USSF?

52. Del Griffin says:

The nike logo is the most visible thing on the jersey. Mission accomplished.

53. fifawitz1313 says:

If you want to send a message, just don’t buy it. #centenialcrest #boycott

54. Ryan SATX says:

Does Nike focus group this stuff?

55. Sharkbait says:

Gonna say the same thing I said when these were first leaked; who’s joining me for brunch at the yacht club on Sunday with these?

Terrible, just absolutely terrible. Like others have said this is a friggin polo shirt.

56. bluenun says:

Terrible…….. a collar! Thats what they come up with. Nike needs new designers. US always has the worst shirts. Thats embarrassing!

57. Chris says:

I certainly agree that the jersey is boring and a total waste.

I have to say though, I don’t get all the constant HATE towards the crest. It’s our crest. With a constantly changing jersey ‘identity’ that crest is one of our few constants. I have no desire to see it go and replaced by the absolutely bland Centennial crest that is nothing more than our country’s flag put into an arbitrary shield shape.

The USA hockey team had just about the same logo on their jerseys. That’s how standard the Centennial crest is. I’d prefer to the ‘flying soccer ball’ crest as you call it. Or, you know, something totally new that isn’t bland and uninspired.

• There are some creative examples out there that would be a stark improvement over the flying soccer ball logo… I agree tradition is nice… but from a graphic design perspective, that flying soccer ball is a joke!

I’d encourage you to check out the crests of the other countries… That flying soccer ball looks like amateur hour in comparison!

• Joe C. says:

“Tradition for the sake of tradition” is how silly things never get changed. Let’s make a really classic crest and then stay with it forever so we can forget this flying ball thing ever happened. The nineties called the other day and apologized, said they messed that one up bad. Sometimes you just have to start again. We’ll cry, we’ll eat some ice cream, but we’ll be better off in the long run.

58. Andrew Davis says:

The Jersey is an utter let down, and shall I say a disappointment. I have never had a problem with an “all white kit”, but in fact love them. However, the color change of “Old Glory Blue” (Navy) to this “Royal” color is just terrible in my opinion, but more importantly is the redesigned Crest. Nike did everything right with the “Centennial kit and Crest”, and they had to go and screw it up with this monstrosity badge. They colors for the stars and stripes are inverse of the flag, which I personally think is offensive. This is one of the few times I think Nike has really dropped the ball. I am dubbing this and Epic Nike Fail.

59. Amru says:

Anyone know where I can buy a centennial jersey? I will not be purchasing this abomination. Way to f*** up my whole day nike

• IndyElevenFan says:

All other previous kits have been taken off major retailers websites. Ebay….??

• bb says:

Ebay & Craigslist are your best bet. I bought a Centennial jersey on Ebay about a month ago when these jerseys were leaked. I’m so glad I did.

60. beto says:

I woner if nike’s sales this summer will be less than last year’s. I certain spent some $ on the centennial design gear. Not going to buy this…!

61. biff says:

Disappointing. Nike jerseys in the past have generally not been as good as those issued by the big competitors and Nike has yet again come up with a dud. Do not understand why that is, why they never seem to learn from past mistakes? Who are these Nike designers, anyway?

But, hey. Only a jersey. Who cares? It’s the game that counts and we are now only 100 days from the Big Show.

62. Adam M. says:

So the lettering says “One Nation One Team” if viewed under UV lights. Apart from the sheer wierdness of the UV secrecy on a soccer shirt, that is a very odd message. Was there any doubt about either the oneness of the US as a country or the team? Did anyone suspect there were two US teams? Is this a subtle hint at locker room discord over the backstories of some of the players? All in all, a flat, boring shirt, with the wrong color blue, a logo almost no one likes (presume it is up to US Soccer, not Nike, to change that), grey hoziontal stripes signifying noting, plus added and unnecessary strageness.

63. Conrad says:

Not a fan. Looks way too much like poor man’s England jersey.

Why must the US team constantly change their jersey design and colors? It’s simple. Update the US crest to something new and less ’90s, but not as generic as the centennial crest. The home kit should be the Waldo kit: red/white striped jersey, blue shorts, white socks with trim. The first away kit should be the 2010-2012 away kit: blue jersey with the white sash and red accents, blue shorts, blue socks with white trim. The third kid should be the 2011-2012 third kit: red jersey with blue sash, blue shorts, red socks with blue trim. That’s it. Stop the rotating uniforms already.

• Dc says:

Because this whole country thrives on selling overpriced unnecessary things to people who don’t need them. Pretty simple.

64. solles says:

Its not “bad” so much as it is “boring”. I mean how bad can a plain white shirt be really.

65. Jeff says:

Is this for the World Cup of Golf?

66. Ian says:

It has zero character, whereas the Waldo jersey has character in bundles. It’s a serious step backwards. I hope sales are terrible.

67. Dc says:

Love it! Looks like I’m the only one, though. Now we can beat Ghana, tie Portugal, and lose to Germany but still advance with dignity.

68. Ian says:

94 comments on this points; virtually all disappointed with this fail.

69. ktown says:

It is shockingly plain but maybe the shorts are wildly patterned to compensate for this yawn of a shirt. Knowing Nike though it’s probably going to be khaki shorts with pleats and red and blue striped socks to check off the obligatory red white and blue color combo. It’s a GAP WC for the US.

70. AcidBurn says:

Awesome! Now I know what I can wear to the office on casual Friday when it is 95 degrees outside in the August heat.

As far as wearing this to play a soccer match, not sure why. More like a golf tournament.

71. Rey Pygsterio says:

Have been waiting to buy the new jersey when it came out but no to this. I will buy it if they win the World Cup.

72. RB says:

“The day we’ve been waiting for has finally…”

…been postponed to the release dates for the 2nd and 3rd kits.

73. ktown says:

Oh man, I can almost see Jermaine Jones popping up his collar before the game because he thinks that is the American thing to do. I think the inspirations for this shirt are the typical suburban big box stores like Best Buy and Home Depot. It’s as if US Soccer decided to open up a big box store and they have players like Donovan and Beasley greeting people at the door in pleated khaki pants and this shirt saying “Hi welcome to US Soccer store, what can I do for you?” This blows Nike, why did you do this?

74. byob el paso tx says:

No mames NIke :)
    always the same crap with nike, why not have a contest like adidas has for MLS jerseys.
    I would love navy blue socks with white stars, waldo shirt which has red & white stripes, with red or white shorts.
    Just do it………..:) right for once

75. Bean says:

I love the all-white strip, but do not like the crest. The crest is underwhelming.

76. FELIXS9 says:

Casual Friday and now is gone!! I don’t like the collar.. V-neck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

77. dcpohl says:

Absolutely awful. Like many here, I immediately thought of England. Would it really be so hard to throw a quality kit out there? Think early 2000s red jersey with sash and the centennial crest. Everybody on this board would buy that, instead these white polis will go on sale, but still nobody will buy them. Sad effort Nike.

78. Travis says:

As much as people mock the outrageous jerseys (Liverpools kits this year) at least they are a bit unique and have character. Like others have said this is just a generic polo shirt with an outdated US Soccer logo stamped on it.

• solles says:

the Brits really dont do design very well, see the Olympics 2012 logo as well as the Liverpool shirts

79. uDaman says:

Very unhappy with the shirt. Few people will buy this jersey. Anything was better than this. Why didn’t they just keep our “Where’s Waldo” shirts – those are distinctive – have class – have an identity to our national flag? Or our national 2002 & 2006 shirts?

This is just the England Uniform with a US Badge. Who approved this jersey? They should be fired. This jersey will not sell well. This shirt will be marked down to $19 because no one will buy it.

80. John says:

I’m fine with the polo but as so many have said the logo needed a change. Why they went back to the awful 90′s clip art when there was such a big push to keep the centennial is beyond me.

81. IndyElevenFan says:

In true NIKE fashion, they’ve taken down any chance at buying the Hoops kit right now. Both the federation’s own website and World Soccer Shop only have the new home, all whites for sale right now (authentic at the low low price of $149.99).

Truly disappointing to think of how much “research and development” probably will be claimed to have gone into “creating” this bland, underwhelming effort.

82. David N. says:

If you don’t like this outdated USMNT crest and want to make a change, please sign this petition to urge US Soccer to change the current crest to the classy looking “centenial” crest. We already have 3,464 signatures but need over 1500 more..

Please sign the petition so US Soccer President, Sunil Gulati can get the message>>>>>>>>

link to change.org

• RealMenChewGum says:

Is there a petition to make sure we never see the centennial crest again?

• Sharkbait says:

Funny since most of the people on here and most of the people I’ve talked to watching games like the centennial crest. But hey to each their own.

83. WeatherManNX01 says:

Why can’t we have a visual identity like other countries? Something that can vary over time, but every time you see it, you say, “That’s the United States.” Other countries have an identity, but we don’t. We get the Nike Flavor of the Year. Not everyone liked the sash set (I personally loved them), but something like that would make a great identity that can be modified and tweaked over time while still being the USA kit.

But no, this year we get the exact same shirt a Nike employee wore to a design meeting with the USA crest slapped on it. And next time we’ll get something completely different yet again.

• IndyElevenFan says:

See my comment near the top. The hoops DID just that and everyone ragged on them because they made us look like “where’s waldo.” So, NIKE did what everyone wanted….no hoops. I’m sure an exec will come out soon and say, “well, you asked for it.”

• WeatherManNX01 says:

I’d argue that one instance does not make an identity, because we could argue each different uniform over the past two decades is an identity – the sash, the hoops, the golf polo, etc. To me, the sash made an identity for the U.S., but they changed it anyway.

• IndyElevenFan says:

True, the sash was traditional and gave us a certain look. However, other national teams have sashes and – for better or worse – have used them consistently. This puts the US national teams in a “copy cat” category. I can just hear some euro football snob saying to his friend at the pub: oh look…all those CONCACAF countries all have sashes….aren’t the cute?

The hoops were something no one else has done. Unique. Identifiable. Loud. Same types of adjectives we like to think of ourselves, no?

• solles says:

…would like to point out that a majority of fans hated the waldo shirts when they came out too, now they’re viewed as “distinctive”. It seems like people’s gut reaction to anything new is to react negatively and trot out the excessive hyperbole, ie “its the worst shirt ive ever seen”. Truth is, with blue shirts and white socks itll be fine. That IS the traditional USA look, white-blue-white, going back to the 70′s at least.

84. byob el paso tx says:

Just do it………..:) right for once

85. JoHo says:

GOLF SHIRT

86. bml says:

Buttons, collar and crest are all negatives.

It’s rather plain as well. Not against white, but the colors don’t seem to work together well. Basically the light gray, two blues and the red trim.

I don’t get the UV lighting thing.

On the plus side it doesn’t have a pocket or Herbalife across the front.

In the group promo photo it looks pretty awful.

Most uniforms are pretty awful so nothing new here. Just sad, because I’m not going to buy this one.

87. DBaker says:

I like it. Sure, one could complain about the crest, and the dominance of the Nike swoosh, but overall it’s has a presence that expresses confidence. We’re not saying, “Golly gee, look at our uniforms!” – we’re saying, “We’re the US and we’re here to play.” Also, I like to collar. It’s definitely a cut above the T-shirt look often seen on soccer jerseys. Whatever the away kits, I hope they express the same strength of character.

• IndyElevenFan says:

Troll? You know white is the traditional color of surrender, right?

• DBaker says:

No. I’m serious. Haven’t seen the kits on the pitch yet, but I think it will look good and give the team a formidable presence. I also think that it is distinctive, unlike many of the ‘flashy’ kits one sees.

• John says:

I agree it seems like we always do this. Everyone has hated just about every kit until they walk out on the field then it grows on you.

• IndyElevenFan says:

I hope someone pulls off a Rosicky and gets a pair of shears and rips off the collar because it’s just TOO hot/ humid in the RAIN FOREST to be wearing one.

88. Brain Guy says:

Where, oh, where is that cool centennial crest? This one looks like a cheap imitation, in both design (worse) and color (too light).

89. dan says:

With red or blue shorts/socks this wouldn’t be so bad.

It’s basically Man United’s jersey

• IndyElevenFan says:

I fail to see how this is ManU’s kit….which is Red…and has a plaid underlay/ tones with black accents…

90. JoHo says:

Maybe if the US had a favorable chance to advance to round of 16, Nike would’ve spent more time on our “jersey”. As it stands now, Dempsey and Altidore’s in season form is free-falling and our inexperienced backline will be too much for the US to overcome in the group of death.

91. Ryan says:

I am really disappointed in these jerseys. I loved the diagonal stripe, the centennial crest, and even the blue away kit.

This is terrible. Nike can produce Oregon Duck style uniforms for everyone except our own country. Terrible.

• Kodi says:

I saw this comment on facebook…someone said “the people at nike can drop LSD and produce some of the most creative uniforms out there, but then outsource the designing of the US kit to a company that designs golf polos.”

92. Maykol says:

So it is pretty likely we are gonna get our @$$e$ handed to us in the world cup, AND NOW WE ARENT EVEN GONNA LOOK GOOD IN THE PROCESS???

• fischy says:

They should make this the 2018 World Cup jersey instead. Right now, I’ve got doubts that the 2018 World Cup will happen. They way events are moving, I don’t know if Western governments would tolerate a World Cup hosted in Russia.

93. Amru says:

Bradley and Mix aren’t injured, they just saw the kits ahead of time and withdrew out of protest

94. MLS_Soccer_Talker says:

..so…when do the WC jerseys come out?

95. Mwing09 says:

Hold up, im confused. Is this what the players will be wearing or what Jurgen and the staff will be wearing on the sidelines?
    horrible.

96. shutch says:

Im going to print out the 90′s clip art crest and glue it to one of my white polos. boom, now I don’t have to buy this jersey. I can’t believe people get paid to design this, its like they don’t even care.

97. Ryan says:

US has had some cool jerseys in the past. So I’ll just wear one I already own. No one should hate on the jersey since it really doesn’t mean anything. Anyone going to the World Cup? Me and two of my friends are so we’re looking for other US fans to kick it with.

98. Alex H says:

Here is a crazy idea. Instead of plunking down $$$ for the sucktacular jersey just make your own supporter t-shirt. Take a red, white or blue t-shirt find an iron on decal of the centennial crest and just wear that instead. It might cost you $10 bucks and it would send a message. Homemade supporter wear could be the way we set ourselves apart.

99. William says:

Is this a joke? Why don’t we give them wife beaters with US sharpied on them? One of the worst US jerseys to date in my opinion. Just because the euro countries all have boring white jerseys doesn’t mean we have to have one as well……..

100. milbo says:

It’s unanimous – it sucks..

Expect to see it in red in 2018..

101. Bac says:

Is there a vent in the back designed to make you go faster? Oh .. that was Under Armour

102. GJJ says:

I actually called US Soccer and told them they had better start looking on the web as the jersey is getting killed with regard to reviews (link to ussoccer.com). The jersey is getting absolutely destroyed on facebook. The guy who I spoke to said that they had other calls today from supporters who were not happy at all about the new kit.

103. Joe says:

WOW… they must have been up all for months coming up with that design

104. hudson says:

If the U.S. didn’t already have a hard road ahead in Brazil, it just got harder wearing this self-esteem deflating jersey. The players take the field already at a disadvantage.

105. No Mamen says:

Do they have them for men!?

106. Adam M. says:

Here are all the problems with the crest, which is actually worse than the old, but similar crest:
    1. There are three stars. They have no meaning.
    2. The middle star is larger that the two aside it. That has no meaning.
    3. The stars are mostly blue, which has no meaning and makes no sense because the stars on the American flag are white.
    4. The outline and stripes are royal blue, which has no meaning and makes no sense because the stripes on the American flag are red and white and the blue on the star plain is a darker blue.
    5. The vertical stripes look like the bars on a cell phone, not stripes on a flag. That’s because they lack a border that would give it context.
    6. The flying soccer ball is cartoonish and unecessary.
    7. The angle the soccer ball appears to be flying makes no sense. Is the crest meant to evoke someone putting a speculative shot into the 15th row?
    8. The U and S are partially covered. Don’t cover the name of the country.
    9. If you are going to put “US” on the crest, you must add the “A.” Its not “YMC” either.
    10. Its actually too small. It should be about 1/3 larger.

107. bryan says:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

108. k2 says:

I can’t wait to see the fanny pack that goes with this killer shirt. I bet it’ll pull the whole look together.

109. bryan says:

this also may be the first bit of USMNT news where 90% of US fans all agree on something. that something being how awful this jersey is. already multiple petitions out to get Nike to change it.

can we just use the Copa America jersey from years ago? but add on the Centennial crest.

110. RealMenChewGum says:

It seems like most people like the centennial crest. I just want to make sure people realize that’s not everyone’s opinion. I vehemently oppose the use of the centennial crest. I find it to be unnecessarily gaudy.

111. RBNY says:

I like the polo, but the crest just makes it look a junior high school kid designed it. Go back to the Centennial and I will buy this.

112. John says:

After seeing a couple pictures with someone acually wearing it, i think its growing on me. Far better then the 2010 shirts with that awful sash.

113. Marcus M says:

Taste is taste, so I hope I don’t get any nasty responses from of my comments… I actually like it: simple, clean with nice touches such as the red lining and the gray hoops. Classy. Again, taste is taste. I also like the crest – much more modern than the centennial one (obviously).

OK, now ready for being bombarded. Just do it nicely, please.

• Sharkbait says:

I agree that taste is indeed taste. I will also say that I prefer jerseys that are clean and simple as well. My biggest problem is that it’s not a jersey, it’s a polo! The US Soccer site even used the term polo to describe it. It looks almost exactly like what a US soccer polo looks like that you’d buy at the store.

Going to disagree big time on the crest though. The current one screams 1990s clip art. Nothing modern about something that looks like it was made with 20 year old technology. At least the centennial had a “retro” look, 20 years old isn’t retro or modern though. It’s just dated.

• DrD says:

The first US game is based in Manu and Manu is the launch off point for the Amazon Jungle. Anyone been there? Are the Brazilian stadiums completed? Does anyone know if the Manu stadium is completed and if it is air-conditioned? FIFA draw puts the US as the home team in a hot climate. If the stadium is open-air, someone is really, really smart! Moreover, how did they get NIKE to every agree to a jersey that doesn’t hit us at first sight?

114. Fat Jesus says:

Total loose butthole

115. John says:

Does anyone know if there will be a number on the front?

116. k2 says:

Oh I get it, this is one of those mullet shirts. Up front it’s all business but the back is where the party is at. There must be some killer graphics back there.

117. midwest ref says:

Isn’t this the 2012 France jersy in white instead of blue? or as the french say, bleu

118. 2tone says:

It’s not bad, but I have more than enough white home jerseys, so I will not be buying. I will wait to see what the away jersey looks like.

119. Mike C says:

So, this exists: link to change.org

120. Jason says:

where can I buy jersey? besides u90soccer I see they dont have authentic one

121. Mooncusser says:

I like the austerity, the timelessness. I dislike the change from navy to royal. It’s disappointing that the centennial crest wasn’t retained.

Perhaps the most obvious compromise would be to keep the classic white with the traditional navy as the second kit, and use the hoops as the third jersey.

122. GJJ says:

Link to petition to ask US Soccer to make a course correction on the jersey. link to change.org

123. QuakerOtis says:

Well, at least it’s better than Mexico’s.

124. GJJ says:

I like the idea of the centennial crest, but a lot of non-soccer types are going to mistake it for an Old Navy shirt. I would put the number 1913 on the centennial crest and a soccer ball from that period (brown leather). The current crest looks like AYSO clip art.

As for shirts, I don’t like the idea of changing the whole design every WC cycle. For me, the hoops (Waldo) jersey is the only jersey that is unmistably American from 100 yards away. Brazil has their yellow, Holland their orange, Spain their red, etc. They tweak the jerseys ever WC cycle, but the basic idea stays the same. I think we should adopt the hoops as our permanent jersey and just tweak it a bit every cycle.

125. Mike says:

Looks a hell of a lot like the England home kit from 2009

link to worldsoccertalk.com

but really, you’ll be out of the World Cup so fast will it really matter?

126. chad says:

muy feo

127. AR says:

“The day we’ve been waiting for …”

No. No we haven’t.

128. Sean says:

Well, the coaches definitely have their kit, but what about the team???

129. BUD says:

HATE IT

130. Kojo says:

This is the shirt the coaching staff is supposed to wear. To revert back to the old crest with the punching soccer ball could mean one of several things one of which is that US Soccer does not own the rights to the centennial crest and is too cheap to buy the rights, or they have printed a quintillion of these punching soccer ball crests and want to use them all up before they move on to a better design again US Soccer is cheap, or US Soccer honchos don’t care about the fans and think that they can do whatever they want and us fans will eventually go along. Let’s do a boycott of this new jersey and request that the centennial jersey be brought back and do a buycott. We should recognize that us fans. WE are US Soccer. So sign the petition to keep the centennial crest at change.org. Or go to the US Soccer website and scroll down to the bottom of the web page and click on “contact us” select pr/communications and let US Soccer know how you feel. If enough of us take just five minutes to do one of these things we can be heard but we have to speak out. If you don’t like the new jersey (polo shirt, golf shirt) with the old crest and you don’t speak out then you shouldn’t write on a blog complaining.

• Kojo -

I’m on board… I’m going to contact the federation’s PR/Communications contact and express my POV about the pitiful crest. I encourage everybody to express their opinion…

• Kojo says:

Here is a comment from the creative director at Nike about our 2014 World Cup polo … I mean jersey… I mean golf shirt … Oh you know what I mean.
        “The new kit clearly showcases the USA’s national pride and distinct sense of style, while also capturing the nation’€™s eternal optimism,€” said Martin Lotti, Creative Director for Nike Soccer.
        For someone who probably takes home a seven figure salary this is really pathetic if he thinks this shirt showcases our national pride and a distinct sense of style.

131. Brian says:

Who is the dullard that thought that jersey up?

And why do we have this stupid crest. Blue friggin’ stripes??? Now with more blue around the outside. Like a bizzaro-world US flag. Go with the Centennial Crest, copy US Hockey and that would make this look more snazzy. But please get rid of the idiotic US badge. It truly sucks.

132. Pingback: The USA World Cup Kit Is Exquisite Balls.ie

133. Paul Henning says:

Disgusting. Does anyone know where I can pick up a centennial and hoops jersey? I can’t find them available anywhere right now.

134. bradley says:

HATE IT its bad !!

135. James H says:

Thanks to Nike for summing up our problems in a simple kit: other nations show up to play football and we show up for a round of golf. Thanks Nike!

136. Tibu says:

This is not the kind of jersey that I like, I prefer the Centennial jersey.

137. Shahid says:

Dear Sir/Madam,
    KS Ansari Industry located In Sialkot Pakistan, specialize in exporting various type of garments. Our main products are Fight Shorts, Sports Shorts, Rash Guards, Hoodies, T-shirt, Tank Tops, Ladies Bra, Warm-up Suits, Track Suits, Trousers, Training Equipment & Accessories Products. At the same time, we can design and manufacture based on the customers requirement.

We are proud of our highly experienced, skilled staffs who work very hard for the development of the company and meeting customers’ demand in an effective way. Our aim is to serve customers and make sure that they are comfortable and satisfied with our products and services.

Please visit our online website http://www.ksansari.com and mentioned us your interested items. We are in the process of developing and expanding our export market and we would like very much to do business with your company.

If you are interested in Price list, Sample please feels free to contact with us. We hope to have many opportunities to serve you and have a long–term business in trade with you in the future.

We will very much appreciate your kind inquires and orders.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,