Soccer Saturday: Your Running Commentary

LiverpoolSouthampton (Getty Images)

By JUSTIN FERGUSON

Fourth-place Liverpool will look to keep up the pace in the race for the English Premier League title with a trip to face Southampton at St. Mary’s Stadium.

Liverpool are unbeaten in their last eight EPL matches, but they will have to work hard to get a victory against a team they have struggled against in recent seasons. The ninth-place Saints shutout the high-scoring Reds in their first match of the season, a 1-0 Southampton win at Anfield, and they have been able to hold off Luis Suarez and the Liverpool attack well in their last few meetings.

Before Liverpool battle Southampton on the road, first-place Chelsea and second-place Arsenal will continue their fight for the top spot in road matches of their own. Chelsea head to Craven Cottage to take on last-place Fulham, who are slowly starting to show improvement under new manager Felix Magath. Arsenal are in action at the Britannia on Saturday to face a Stoke City side that are still in the relegation battle at just three points above the drop zone.

Elsewhere, runaway Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich are in action against Schalke 04, who are coming off a devastating 6-1 loss to Real Madrid. Saint Etienne and AS Monaco will battle in an important Ligue 1 clash, while AS Roma and Inter Milan collide at the Stadio Olimpico later in the day.

If you will be watching today’s action, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, and some play-by-play in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action. (Today’s TV schedule is after the jump):

2pm – Getafe vs. Espanyol – beIN Sports USA

2:45pm – AS Roma vs. Inter Milan – beIN Sports USA

6pm – Veracruz vs. Club Tijuana – Univision Deportes

6pm – Cruz Azul vs. Toluca – Univision

8pm – Monterrey vs. Club America – Univision Deportes

10pm – Chiapas vs. Club Leon – Univision Deportes

This entry was posted in European Soccer, Featured, Mexican Soccer, Your Running Commentary. Bookmark the permalink.

128 Responses to Soccer Saturday: Your Running Commentary

1. MemRook says:

Didn’t see this coming: Deuce starts against Chelsea!

• Dainja says:

I was so shocked I had to see the pregame lineups to believe it!!

CMON DEUCE…one last chance at Prem glory and to leave your Fulham legacy intact!

• Increase0 says:

Does this mean he worked hard in Practice cause like… Magath be mental about that stuff.(So I read.)

• Shawn says:

I want Clint to succeed, but he is not good anymore. It’s a shame for him, the MLS, and the National Team.

2. kev says:

let’s go LIVERPOOL. 4-0. wrap up that CL spot

3. 18344567 says:

DEMPSEY. 50 league goals, 18 assists in 184 league matches for FULHAM

he is a Living Legend for them. I don’t see anyone ever outscoring him especially since they might be relegated in 2months

4. Joe C. says:

Just watching a bit of the Bundesliga coverage since the BPL isn’t playing right now. One of the plugs for other programs was one for an interview with JK: “My World Cup.”

I’m watching the Hannover v. Augsburg game and it’s been decent so far. Both teams pressing and both teams playing conservative possession games and trying to probe the other’s defense. Diouf for Hannover just put one in off a corner kick that Augsburg just couldn’t clear, but it’s been pretty evenly matched.

Also, I’ve been kind of impressed by the reffing. Conservative, but it seems to be keeping the players in line.

• Increase0 says:

The Bundesliga feels like a higher quality Holland to me. I wonder if Verbeek would take Jozy back… Nurnberg is doing rather well now. like 4 wins out of 5.

• biff says:

Verbeek has made a believer out of me. He has done an outstanding job thus far at Nurnberg.

5. 18344567 says:

Dempsey will score today. I feel it

whats the odds on Jozy scoring and Sunderland beating Man City tomorrow?

6. Observer says:

Dempsey!!!! SO CLOSE!

7. jones says:

Seems Sunderland will have two PL games to make up now – didn’t they miss one earlier due to weather?

• Nate Dollars says:

i think that one was the fa cup game to be played tomorrow.

• jones says:

No tomorrow is the Capitol One Cup final. FA is still ongoing.

• midwest ref says:

Sunderland’s regular season fixture at Man City was cancelled a couple weeks ago due to weather.

This week’s game is to be rescheduled for the Capital One Cup (used to be Carling, use to be League?) final with Man City tomorrow.

Unfortunately for Sunderland, these games in hand aren’t likely to result in points later in the year to fight relegation

• jones says:

Thanks. So they’ll have to make up Man City and today’s West Brom for PL. And I think another game might have to be moved for the FA cup.

• Michael Stypulkoski says:

It is still the League Cup. The other names (Carling, Capital One) are sponsorship names.

• midwest ref says:

I thought so, but I was never sure, and really not invested enough to find out. But now I have confirmation from a reliable source.

8. jones says:

So can someone tell me what Fulham’s problem is this year? I really haven’t watched them much at all but I wouldn’t have guessed they’d be so far down.

• Clemsonuee says:

Fulham has been a mess all season. Brede has been hurt more often than not. The defense has been bad often. They give up a lot of goals late in games. That’s probably due to them being either the oldest or close to the oldest team. There’s no creativity in the midfield, and they started the year with too many luxury players.

Short answer – Martin Jol.

• jones says:

Thanks. Jol is the main reason I stopped watching them even before Dempsey’s departure. Glad he is gone, hope they can stay up.

• Clemsonuee says:

I lost faith in him halfway through last season.

His purchases in the summer have been bad. Boateng is nowhere near playing for us, Taarabt was what he always was and Bent is expensive and not good enough. Amorebeta has been rough (that’s one I thought would have worked better), and Parker has been okay, but fades late in games. The issue is Parker is signed for 2 more years and isn’t looking like a 90 minute player anymore.

Reither is nowhere near his form from last year.

It’s been dire watching them play. Sometimes they will play decent vs a top team and then turn around and give up 5 goals to Hull.

• Gary Page says:

I think they have given up more goals than any other team. I think bringing in Heitinga has helped. They certainly look better this game with him in there.

• Clemsonuee says:

Heating has helped and Burn has played well since getting recalled. Still let’s see the second half, they often fade during games.

• THomas says:

Their defense is terrible and I really don’t know why. They have more quality now than ever. Really depressing having the team you support this close to going down. If they’re in the championship next year you won’t ever get to see them play.

Only thing that makes me feel better is that Khan will do everything to bring his new investment straight back up.

9. ManicMessiah says:

What a meh season from Newcastle, I can’t believe I’m bothering to watch against Hull.

But hey, 1-0 Newcastle the moment I complain… not bad.

Still Meh…

10. amazingspiderman says:

in your opinion, what is world class?

Is it for those players who score 30 goals a season or collect 15-20 assists or have 20 cleansheets?

Is it players who score or keep cleansheets against the best teams or come up BIG at the right amount like say you’re down 2-0 in a CL final and come back to win 3-2 thanks to Player A?

Can you be world class if your country wins the world cup and you are player of the tournament despite playing on a relegation side?

• Increase0 says:

All of those, but International soccer is weird. Some players just can’t cut it at that level despite what they do at their club.

Benzema for example doesn’t score hardly at all for France and certainly not in the WC or Euros.

11. amazingspiderman says:

DEMPSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

making John Terry look like crap.

• TomG says:

Looked like a missed call by the overzealous linesman. Deuce beat him clean on the endline. I don’t think that ball was out at all.

12. Mr. Kaplan says:

Williams is on for Reading and Holmes for Yeovil.

13. TomG says:

Deuce looks good, strong, clever, efficient. He’s come very close to creating a chance on several occasions. One time, perhaps made an error by bringing the ball down into traffic instead of heading it first time.

• jones says:

yes you can tell that the hunger or spark is coming back – maybe the criticism and/or being dropped at Fulham the other week has finally lit a big enough fire under him.

• Gary Page says:

You obviously haven’t been reading the sages posting here. Don’t you know he lost his hunger for the game and is all washed up anyway?

• downintexas says:

• jones says:

Ah yes, those wise sages. They have been here in higher numbers lately.

And don’t get them started on Jozy. Best to just disengage and let them cry it out like the children that they are.

14. Mr. Kaplan says:

Tim Ream is at left back for Bolton.

15. Mr. Kaplan says:

Disappointed that Lichaj was not called in for the Frankfurt training camp. He is starting for Forest.

• Increase0 says:

Wait what? I thought Lichaj was injured? He has definitely been injured….That’s odd. It makes those defender call ups look strange now. Unless Geoff actually plays at RB then I guess I’m okay with it.

• Don the Jewler says:

He got about 10 minutes last week. Guy has has some bad timing injury wise. I still hope he gets a look

• bryan says:

Lichaj did not play last week. This is his first game back. With Mix not joining, I say bring in Lichaj.

• Bac says:

That’s very surprising.. thought he was out a few weeks…
      I guess JK must rate Castillo higher to bring him all the way over, or maybe wants to get a look at Ream or someone else at LB … or both

• Drewbles says:

He’s coming off an injury, I think this might be his first game back.

16. Ives Shawn says:

dempsey playing well imo

• TomG says:

Holding the ball very well in very tight areas under great pressure, drawing multiple free kicks and corners, but has taken the extra touch a couple times instead of puling the trigger immediately, costing himself a couple chances.

17. TomG says:

moderation???? You’re kidding me. What the?

18. TomG says:

Deuce with another half chance. Good ball in and he controlled it well, but again seemed to want to take the extra touch and didn’t get the shot off. He just drew a nice free kick in a dangerous area, too.

19. TomG says:

20. TomG says:

Deuce just drew a nice free kick in a dangerous area.

21. journeyman says:

How is Gooch doin? Starting in the Championship, when they all said he was washed up. Expect him to mak a big move this summer

22. NATO says:

I wish Dempsey never left FULHAM. He’s their main man.

23. Don the Jewler says:

Dempsey’s game looks crisp..his game is rounding into form just when we need it to.

• Joe C. says:

I agree, he’s looking much more aggressive and sharp today than I’ve seen him play in a while. That said, he hasn’t quite had the killer touch yet, but hopefully in the second half!

24. Clemsonuee says:

Fulham had a solid first half, but they often play well for the first 45, and worse in the second.
    Dempsey has played well. Glad to see that, makes me wish it wasn’t his last game. Hopefully it gets him so he hits the ground running in MLS.

25. Herschel Skywalker says:

Does it look like Parker is looking for Deuce. He seems to send the ball Deuce’s way every time he’s near the box. I think they have a deal for Deuce’s last game in the Prem.

26. biff says:

Clint getting the start against Chelsea from Felix “the torturer” Magath is a major victory and shows that Clint is no doubt working his bu++ off in training and doing well to impress Magath. This is a good sign for Clint and for the USMNT.

And USMNT fans should now at half-time all bow down and ask the soccer gods to help Clint knock the ball into the back of the net for a 1-0 Fulham victory against Chelsea, which would negate all the bad vibes Clint has suffered during this long and awful loan at Fulham.

Go Clint!

27. Expat4455 says:

Holy Cow, Fulham are going head-to-head against Chelsea. and Clint Dempsey is playing great. 0;0 at the half.

28. Fredo says:

Come on Duece, make The Happy One sad.

29. Frank L. says:

I wouldn’t say Dempsey is doing great but he is running which is a huge improvement over the last few months.

• John says:

Seriously.

The overreaction (on both ends, positive and negative) is ridiculous.

Hardly a “great” game from Demps but it’s good to see him playing with more purpose and displaying a bit more sharpness than what we’ve seen lately.

30. Clemsonuee says:

And that is the tale of Fulham’s season.

31. NATO says:

how can u be 6’7 and lose out on a header to a player 6 inches shorter?

• Fredo says:

When Hangeland went out after the head injury Fulham was forced to play the PL-inexperienced Burn. Then Chelski just went at him mercilessly.

32. jones says:

Now this is just way too easy for Chelsea

33. Travis says:

Charlie Adam gets away with studs into Giroud’s shin, guy is such a thug on the pitch.

34. biff says:

Stoke up 1-0 against Arsenal on a deserved penalty kick. Electric in Britannia Stadium. Crowd going crazy.

35. Bac says:

I’ve never been one to rag on the commentators… because it’s usually a waste of energy….
    But can this guy possibly criticize Deuce any more?
    “Out for a Sunday stroll in the park”? (among others)
    I think he’s looked pretty good for his first game in a month against the best team in the PL… considering he’s on the worst team in the PL

36. Increase0 says:

Lichaj was subbed at halftime. Maybe he wasn’t quite ready to play…

37. Travis says:

Sanogo should have just equalized this game, oh no

38. g-dub says:

Just another rock f-ing solid performance from Cam, as Stoke defeat Arsenal.

• Travis says:

Was good overall but he was inches away from giving a penalty away to Giroud late in the game, stuck his arm out and caught him

• biff says:

No way, Travis. It was a 50-50 challenge for the ball and Giroud is the one who barely grazed Cameron and then Giroud dives and acts like a baby pounding the ground with his fist faking anger like he had been hit by a truck. I think the ref gave him the free kick as sort of payback from when Adam stomped on him and the ref ignored it.

• Gary Page says:

What I saw on the replay was Cameron standing his ground, Giroud spinning and then tripping over Cameron, a ridiculous penalty call.

39. Travis says:

Arsenal created nothing for the entire game other than the late chance for Sanogo, Stoke were far more dangerous with they play and deserve the result. Titles are lost on days like today, you can’t drop points away at the lower teams.

• biff says:

Could it be that injecting Ozil back into the game-day roster had a negative effect on the team? I think so and no doubt in my mind that Ozil will be leaving Arsenal this summer at a transfer fee much less then 50m Arsenal wasted on him. There was a story on Goal.com a couple days ago claiming that Wenger had considered bringing in Ozil after WC 2010, but decided against it because of his mental weakness and lack of team spirit, but that Wenger incorrectly thought that Ozil had toughened up after three years at Real Madrid and developed a team mentality. If Ozil is on the bench in Munich week after next for the decisive game against FC Bayern then we will know that Wenger has lost his mind.

• arsenal says:

Seriously? It has been well documented he is exhausted and in the “red zone” for a player, which means he will be slower on the pitch and has a greater risk for injury. When he was at Real Madrid he didn’t finish many games. This is his first full season, for the most part, in a much more physically demanding league. His first half of the season was better than any player on the team. You need to get out of here with your conspiracy about him giving the game to his German friends, or that he doesn’t care about the team — it is just wrong and there is no proof.

• biff says:

@arsenal: I have never said that Ozil gave the game to his German friends, as you are accusing me of. So please do not put words in my mouth. What I have said is that I feel it is impossible for Ozil to play well against his German buddies, he simply does not have the mental toughness to challenge them on the field and I said that before Bayern beat Arsenal in London and I was right.

link to soccerbyives.net

Ozil’s performance was universally rated as horrible against Bayern, not just by me. And Ozil during the Bayern game actually shoved Flamini, who was disgusted with Ozil’s lack of effort in Champions League game and was trying to get him to work harder. A lot of damage was done that game between Ozil and the rest of the team and I doubt that it can be healed and I would bet that Ozil will be leaving Arsenal in the summer.

I am hoping Arsenal can pull off the miracle in Munich and beat Bayern by at least two goals, hopefully by three, but it definitely won’t happen if Ozil is in the line-up.

• biff says:

And this is a link to a GIF of the on-field spat between Flamini and Ozil

link to metro.co.uk

40. arsenal says:

Arsenal need to buy a striker. Giroud is OK, but who do we have after that? Sanogo, Bendtner, that is not nearly good enough. 10 attempts and only 2 on target is terrible.

41. Sly says:

Saints with second place on the line. We need a win. Come on Liverpool.

• Citronomics says:

Southhampton has been a tough match as of late. And nice to get a Suarez goal against the run of play.

• Sly says:

Their midfield is so much better than ours. Gerrard playing cornerback ineffectivly, Henderson is anonymous, Phillipe has given away 5 balls and that’s just a casual count. At least Joe Allen is trying his best but he’s covering acres by himself.

I’ll be happy with a draw. Phil has to go sterling has to come in.

42. NATO says:

LIVERPOOL

Suarez with 24 goals. Been league top scorer since December. Unbelievable

43. Maykol says:

So i couldnt watch the game so i read the comments on here and was excited to read that clint was playing well. But i decide to double check how he played on twitter. So i search Dempsey and a lot of the vocab i got was “ineffective” and “anonymous”.

• Louis Z says:

For some folks reality sets in a delay mode. Dempsey had the lowest mark from both sides that played 90 minutes.

• Herschel Skywalker says:

He was solid in the first half, but when the Fulham defense absolutely crumbled, after Hangeland was replaced by the hapless Burn, Dempsey did not see many touches. The idea that he was worse than the Fulham defenders or Bent or anyone else on the team is garbage.

• Nate Dollars says:

as herschel said below, i think some of those comments were when he *was* playing well in the first half. he didn’t do much of anything in the second half, but then, neither did almost anyone else on his team.

44. Citronomics says:

Liverpool on their back heels for much of the 1H as Southhampton looked sharp in attack. Relieved to be a goal up at halftime.

45. Citronomics says:

@Sly. You called it with Sterling on for Coutinho. And again Suarez tee’d it up.

• Sly says:

I can’t believe we got a clean sheet. This new song we are Liverpool tra la la la la la. Makes me smile.

We aren’t really second considering city had a game cancelled. If they played and won they’d be at 60 and we’d still be tied with arsenal on points.

A win at old toilet in two weeks is essential.

46. hmm says:

Gerrard should have left Suarez take the PK. He earned it. either way Liverpool are on 2nd. CL here we come

47. biff says:

Just noticed that Jermaine Jones lasted only 58 minutes for Besiktas before being pulled and was named flop of the match by G.com. Not saying that G.com ratings are always trustworthy, because they are not. Anyone see the game.

link to goal.com

• bryan says:

Interesting. MLS website says he was solid and should have had an assist.

• biff says:

Hmmmm. That is interesting. MLS Soccer says JJ “could have notched an assist just past the half-hour mark with a sharper finish to his cross.” Does that mean it was a bad cross and if he only would have done a better job of it he would have had an assist? Sort of like, Player X would have had a goal if he only would have put it on target and and past the goalkeeper :-)

That said, sometimes g.com’s player ratings are bad and it is possible JJ had a solid showing.

• Increase0 says:

Can a Defensive Mid really be the Flop of the Match in a 0-0 game?
      Shouldn’t it be the forwards….. I mean maybe he sucked but it seems he got the job done….

48. Expat4455 says:

Müller was out, Ribery was out, I was hoping to see Julian Green on the 18 list today. But not to be.

49. Expat4455 says:

Thank you bryan, I too was confused yesterday. But we both what the same thing, success for the USMNT, Even if we disagree about Bayern having everything to do with the Julian Green thing.

50. Fredo says:

Nice to see Herc back in starting lineup. Xolos up 1-0 at Veracruz in 75′.

51. Fredo says:

Boo!

52. USAmr says:

No Mix. No Bradley. No Tim Ream.
    per US Soccer
    link to ussoccer.com
    So we’re left with 17 field players for 10 positions….. I think we can get by without more call-ups. Might be a good opportunity for Sacha.

53. Dennis says:

So in summary, Dempsey had some good moments then disappeared?
    Ream started at LB.
    Oweyu was RB, really?
    Arsenal was awful or Stoke was good? Cameron was part of the reason. Ozil who had a very good first half of the season has now been relegated to be biff’s whipping boy.
    Liverpool looks to be in CL next year.
    Lichaj started, but was subbed half. Why?