Beltran replaces Evans on USMNT squad ahead of Mexico friendly

TonyBeltranUSMNT (ISIPHotos.com)

By IVES GALARCEP

Brad Evans won’t have a chance to boost his chances of being the U.S. Men’s National Team starting right back this week against Mexico, but his absence has opened the door for another national team hopeful to enter the fray.

Real Salt Lake defender Tony Beltran has been called in to replace the injured Evans, who failed to appear in Seattle’s 2-1 loss to the Columbus Crew on Saturday night. Evans has been sidelined by a calf injury.

USMNT head coach Jurgen Klinsmann was in attendance for Real Salt Lake’s 3-0 drubbing of Toronto FC on Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium, and apparently liked what he saw from Beltran, who has two USMNT caps to his name.

Beltran joins fellow RSL players Nick Rimando, Kyle Beckerman and Luis Gil on the U.S. team that will take on Mexico in a friendly on Wednesday at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.

Evans’ injury leaves Klinsmann with some decisions to make at right back, where veteran Michael Parkhurst and young standout DeAndre Yedlin are both options to start against Mexico.

What do you think of this development? Who would you start at right back against Mexico?

This entry was posted in Featured, MLS- Real Salt Lake, U.S. Men's National Team, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to Beltran replaces Evans on USMNT squad ahead of Mexico friendly

1. Jack Del says:

I will eat my hat if Yedlin starts over Parkhurst.

2. Bac says:

Still, having 3 right backs in for one game is a little odd, just wonder if Parkhurst is gonna get a look in the middle… curious

• GW says:

Bac,

Fabian, Cameron, Parkhurst, DMB

• Bac says:

I’d say book it .. btw, I responded to your post last night

• Hogatroge says:

Um… considering Cameron and Fabian aren’t in the camp, I wouldn’t be booking that if I were you.

• Bac says:

We were posting earlier back and forth about our predictions for Brazil… that’s why he wrote that- and why I said book it…

• SilverRey says:

Yeah, it’s not like these guys are going to get a lot of training in. This is a smash and grab for anyone looking to get on the WC roster.

3. byrdman says:

Normally I go with the unknown in a friendly if there is big potential involved. But Mexico ….well they are Mexico. Plus the chances of using Yedlin in Brazil are small, I would think, but this would give us a good chance to consider Parkhurts there one more time. But i am ok with either way

Like a brim on a bank, I keep flopping back and forth.

• ThatKidNandez says:

Parkhurst gives me nightmares

• SilverRey says:

More than Evans? If I have Ronaldo slamming down the wing, I’d rather have Parkhurst in front of him than Brad. I think Evans has provided his country good service helping to get us qualified, but he isn’t comfortable enough with the position to provide us with much attack, and if I’m going defensive I’m looking at Parkhurst.

• Gary Page says:

At least Parkhurst has played Champions League and I saw a game where he held his own against Chelsea and did very well both in defense and going forward. He also has much more international experience fo the national team than Yedlin or Evans.

• ThatKidNandez says:

That’s like saying Alfredo Morales is a boss and should be on the plane to brazil because he shut down Ronaldo and Madrid back when he played with Hertha. Parkhurst hasn’t exactly been amazing when he has played for the US. I’ll give evans props for the improv at RB and doing okay but he’s a mid. Kinda like when we gave Torres a shot at LB or when Nantes put bedoya at RB.

4. todd says:

This game is a try-out for Defenders and Center Mids. I think Parkhurst, Gil and Yedlin have the most to gain from this match. My guess is Gil will start the 2nd half. If he does well, I think he can be called in again and make the team as a super-sub since Brek Shea is likely done. Yedlin, if Parkhurst stumbles, could be in prime position for consideration. I don’t think Parkhurst will stumble though.

• DCUnitedWillRiseAgain says:

Not sure about Shea being done. He made the bench for Stoke recently. There is still time for him, but it’s running out quickly, especially with Julian Green in the mix.

5. John says:

I think you have to go with the more solid defender in Parkhurst. If anyone saw what Marco Fabian did coming at SKCs right back, he has to be Mexico’s biggest threat in this match. Maybe give Yedlin a half hour depending how things go.

6. JayAre says:

Who else thinks he was chosen because he was the nearest replacement.

• GW says:

Odds are Beltran won’t see the field. Do you want to bring someone from New York or Boston just to make up numbers in training and not get on the field?

• SilverRey says:

Yeah, JK was at the RSL game. I think he was just, “oh I’ll pick…. um… (closes eyes and points) that guy”

Beltran did get two games last summer with the NT, but I think he may just be going on a mid-week vacation to Arizona. I’ve heard Meteor Crater is nice this time of year.

7. Shawn says:

Can you people stop using, hes young argument, if they are good enough then to hell with it. Also the younger player in the US’s pool have more creativity which we need

• ThatKidNandez says:

This! +10 For the USMNT’s sake people forget Julian is 18 just because he plays for Bayern, Yedlin is 20 and he was one the best RB’s in MLS last year. A nobody who made himself known. I remember a lot of people wanted Yedlin for USMNT and now that he’s worked his way up, he isn’t good enough.

8. Duke says:

I think Evans timely injury probably increases any chance he might have. Were he to play and be exposed again, it might be for the last time.

If you think Parkhurst won’t start somewhere, you’re kidding yourself. JK knows what he brings and can be oblivious to the fact that since he’s joined the Crew, they are off to their best start ever.

If JK liked what he saw? I wonder what he thought about Bradley’s team getting smoked? I didnt see that game but apparently by the score, the Toronto defense had some trouble and that defense starts with a very high priced Mikey Bradley

• SilverRey says:

I only saw the highlights, but from the chatter it sounds like the trouble starts with Hall.

From what I saw on the highlights Bradley still made some incredible passes and chips. I think he’s still worth the money.

• Dman says:

I watched the game.

Toronto did not really get smoked, The first goal was a questionable penalty call. Bradley did have a shot off the post, and Toronto had a couple of chance that just didn’t go their way. also Toroto was missing 2 key players in Jackson and Osorio.

That being said it was obvious that RSL are much better at moving the ball around as a team. RSL were in the MLS final last year, and they looked like a well oiled machine against Toronto.

9. SBI Judge Jury Executioner says:

“I didn’t see the game”… stop right there. You need not have any opinions about said game then. You are guilty of giving an opinion about something you know nothing about. I sentence you to two hours of no soccer related websites. Be gone!

10. Gordo Stretch says:

I watched the Columbus – Seattle game, and while Yedlin has potential, he should not be on the flight to Brazil. Yedlin is the shiny new toy. He didn’t have a horrible game, but did have some giveaways and decision making was suspect at times. Potential doesn’t get you onto a World Cup squad.

Parkhurst has been consistent, dependable, and always makes the right decision, both for club and country, every time I’ve seen him.

• CherunDOHlo says:

ummm I think i’ve seen you hate parkhurst a couple times, now that I think of pretty sure 70% + of everyone on the SBI has said something negative on Parkhurst. Oh the hypocrisy.

• Billy Bob says:

You’ll never catch me slamming Parkhurst. I’m a believer, starting with his Rev days.

I don’t know anything about Yedlin but I do know that JK needs to point his radar towards the Revs Andrew Farrell. Not really for this cycle I think but beyond that. He’s a second year player and he’s big, fast tough, can dribble the ball, good ball skills and mostly makes good passes though sometimes tends to through the long ball a little too often.. He has the physical qualities and skills the NATS need.

• Dman says:

If we had a stable of Dani Alves’s then Yedlins potential would not bring him such attention.
      We have guys who are better defenders at the position but nobody with the physical tools to be special that Yedlin does.

11. Georg says:

From last nights match at Rio Tinto, I would think Klinnsman would have been more impressed with the play of Chris Schuler. But in all fairness Beltran did have a great match.

• beto says:

There are a some quality defenders in MLS that should be pushing for Omar Gonzalez and Goodson’s spots after the WC and into the next cycle. Schuler, John (if he gets healthy at somepoint) Hedges, Okugo, Ferrell and O’Neill to name a few

12. Dennis says:

Yes, Beltran looked solid against Toronto, but, face it, he got the call because it is a short trip. With Evans out, I expect Parkhurst will start and Yedlin will sub in. Yedlin does seem to have more speed than either Evans or Parkhurst and JK does like speed.

I don’t think there is any US defender who can stop Ronaldo (or any single defender anywhere in the world for that matter), but a good organized team effort will limit the damage he can do. No matter how well any of the guys do in the upcoming game, I think, Cameron will get the starts in Brazil, simply because he has the most successful high level experience at RB.

13. Gary Page says:

Hey, did anyone see that Vasquez is apparently out as Klinsmann’s assistant? It sounds like he has been demoted, at least, and given some vague duties. Meanwhile, Tab Ramos was added and Berti Vogts brought on as a special adviser. This according to another website that has goal in its name. Vasquez and Klinsmann seemed very close, so this is quite the surprise to me. It makes you wonder if there is a disagreement on tactics, player selection, personal fall out or what.

• beto says:

Wow very interesting. I like the moves!

• Fredo says:

About time! Vasquez had to go. I just hope Vogts or Ramos can check some of J├╝rgen’s new age hippisms and focus the team on preparing for our opponents defensively & tactically i.e., Portugal, Ghana & Germany. USA!

14. Landon Klinsmann says:

Yedlin shuts down Neymar in Wcup semifinals and European clubs come a calling.

• Jurgen Clintsmann says:

Julian Green scores after dribbling around Mexican goalkeeper on an assist from yours truly wearing the US jersey I gave him. He makes the US team to brazil where he bags five goals in the group stage and sets me up for the game winner against brazil for the championship. Julian and I appear together in a rap video flying around on Jurgy’s helicopter. Julian unseats Robin as a starter for Bayern and DeAndre Yedlin starts a chain of soccer inspired salons and hair care products.

15. Umlaut says:

I’ve been thinking about the roster for the Mexico game and I’d like to see a lineup something like this:

—Green—Green—
    Green—Green—Green
    —–Green–Green—–
    Green—Green—Green
    ———Green——–

I’m flexible on one or two up top, but that’s basically how I’d do it.

• Dman says:

Dont be silly:

—–Green–Green–
      Green–Green–Green
      —–Green-Green—–
      Yedlin–Yedlin–Yedlin
      ——–Green——-

16. Bongwater says:

Part of me admits it would be somewhat funny if it turns out on Wednesday that Green is, and always has been, a goalkeeping prospect.

17. Terrence Osbourne says:

Excellent timing and technique, Umlaut…