Photo by Paul Greenwood/ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
For Tim Howard and Everton, Tuesday could not have been much been better.
The Toffees leapfrogged Tottenham and further solidified their place in next season’s European competition by going on the road and picking up a 3-0 win against Newcastle United. Howard made three saves to help post his 11th clean sheet of the campaign. Everton also benefited from Manchester United dropping points to Manchester City. The Toffees now have a six-point lead over the Red Devils, who are looking to avoid the disaster that would be missing out on Europe.
Oguchi Onyewu also helped his club post a shutout victory. Onyewu started and went the distance for Sheffield Wednesday in a 1-0 victory over Brighton & Hove Albion that came as a result of a second-half stoppage-time goal. The win was the Owls’ third in their last four league matches and raised them into 13th place in the Championship.
Fellow center back John Brooks also saw substantial playing time, as he got the nod for Hertha Berlina despite being part of a defense that conceded three goals over the weekend. Brooks and Hertha once again surrendered three goals on Tuesday, but this time it came in a 3-1 defeat to Bayern Munich that clinched the Bundesliga title for the German powerhouse two months before the end of the season.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared on Tuesday:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Everton’s 3-0 win vs. Newcastle United.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Sheffield Wednesday’s 1-0 win vs. Brighton & Hove Albion.
- Danny Williams did not dress in Reading’s 3-1 loss vs. Barnsley. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Duane Holmes did not dress in Huddersfield Town’s 2-2 draw vs. Middlesbrough.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes Birmingham City’s 3-2 win vs. Millwall.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 1-0 win vs. Blackpool.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress in Nottingham Forest’s 1-0 loss vs. Charlton Athletic. He is recovering from a groin injury.
- Zak Whitbread dressed but did not play in Derby County’s 2-1 loss vs. Ipswich Town.
- Gboly Ariyibi came off the bench and played 48 minutes in Leeds United’s 2-1 loss vs. Swindon Town.
- John Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 3-1 loss vs. Bayern Munich.
- Alfredo Morales started and played 90 minutes in FC Ingolstadt 04′s 3-0 win vs. VfL Bochum.
- Jose Torres started and played 64 minutes in Tigres UANL’s 3-0 win vs. Veracruz in the Copa MX semifinals.
What do you think of these performances? Do you see Howard and Everton finishing the season with a European berth? Like what you saw from Brooks against Bayern Munich?
Share your thoughts below.