Soccer Saturday: Your Running Commentary

AltidoreNewcastle (Getty Images)

By JUSTIN FERGUSON

This Soccer Saturday will start with a bang as Newcastle United host USMNT forward Jozy Altidore and Sunderland in the always competitive Tyne-Wear Derby to open a day filled with action from all over the world.

The last time these two rivals met in English Premier League play, Sunderland notched their first win of the season thanks to a late goal from Fabio Borini. The Black Cats have continued to improve from their horrid start, as they have only lost two of their last 13 matches across all competitions, climbing out of the relegation zone in the process. On the other side, Newcastle United have only won once in their last five league matches and will need to find someone to step up in the midfield after the sale of Yohan Cabaye to Paris Saint-Germain.

In other EPL action, seventh-place Manchester United will look to keep their momentum going on the road at Stoke City. Tottenham will try to bounce back from their big loss against Manchester City with a road result at Hull City, who have not scored in four straight losses after routing Fulham 6-0 in December. There will also be a battle of American goalkeepers at Goodison Park as Tim Howard and Everton host Brad Guzan and Aston Villa on Merseyside.

Elsewhere, first-place Barcelona will put their perfect home record at Camp Nou on the line when Valencia comes to visit. Manager Clarence Seedorf and AC Milan host Torino in Serie A competition, and second-place AS Monaco will look to maintain their position behind league-leading PSG when they visit Lorient. In Mexico, the derby match between nearby rivals Tigres and Monterrey will highlight a busy night of Liga MX action.

If you will be watching today’s action, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions and some play-by-play in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action. (Today’s schedule is after the jump):

SATURDAY SOCCER ON TV

6pm – Santos Laguna vs. Toluca – Univision Deportes

6pm – Veracruz vs. Puebla – Univision Deportes 2

8pm – Chivas de Guadalajara vs. Cruz Azul – UniMas

8pm – Monterrey vs. Tigres UANL – Univision Deportes

8pm – Pachuca vs. Atlas – Univision Deportes 2

10pm – Chiapas vs. Queretaro – Univision Deportes

This entry was posted in European Soccer, Featured, International Soccer, Mexican Soccer, Your Running Commentary. Bookmark the permalink.

358 Responses to Soccer Saturday: Your Running Commentary

1. CroCajun1003 says:

Jozy starting. Fletcher did not dress.

2. Nate Dollars says:

jozy starts up front. scocco on the bench instead of fletcher.

• CroCajun1003 says:

Good morning.

Very interesting seeing Fletcher not dress. I was wondering how Scocco would be used. I understand he can be a winger as well.

• Nate Dollars says:

he is primarily a winger, although he can play anywhere in the front. unfortunately, however, poyet’s comments seem to indicate that he’ll be used as the striker in a 4-3-3, theoretically displacing jozy.

we’ll see if poyet actually plans on using a straight 4-3-3 (which would have been perfect for jozy), or if it’s still the 4-5-1 that’s been happening.

• Gary Page says:

I don ‘t understand. If Jozy starts as a lone striker, why would he be displaced in a 4-3-3? Especially when it looks like he is favored ahead of Fletcher.

• CroCajun1003 says:

Sunderland signed a new striker in the transfer window. Argentinian named Nacho Scocco.

Thing is, Nacho can also play winger.

• Nate Dollars says:

also worth noting that cattermole is not in the 18. as far as i heard, the mooted transfer to stoke was scrapped, so i’m not sure what’s up with that.

• TomG says:

Catt is just nicked up. Have no idea about Fletch. That’s weird. Maybe he’s carrying a knock as well?

• KNPonder says:

Read yesterday where Fletcher is still dealing with an achilles issue.

• MidWest Ref says:

Poyet has been trying to keep Fletcher out due to some lingering issues – i thought it was a hamstring, but if KNP says it is his achilles, so be it.

The move to bring in the young Argentine, may have been for extra cover and the future. I believe that Sunderland had said they would take offers for Fletcher prior to the winter transfer window.

• CroCajun1003 says:

They desperately need help in the wings. After Borini and Johnson the drop-off is bad. Larson is not very good and Giacc can’t seem to settle in.

• TomG says:

Huge, huge match for Jozy to stay as first choice. Unfortunately, I can’t see anything different with Catt missing, Colback still fumbling and hesitating in the middle of the pitch and Bridcutt not fit yet, possession will be hard to find. Maybe he can have a similar performance as he had midweek and find a way to slot one home.

3. Observer says:

I always hate this derby. Newcastle is the team I favor in the EPL, but I want Jozy and Sunderland to succeed.

• Nate Dollars says:

i would just cheer for a jozy hat trick, and newcastle winning 4-3. :)

• TomG says:

How did you become a Newcastle supporter? Seems a bit of a difficult choice and no real American presence.

• Observer says:

I became a massive fan of soccer after the EURO 2008 tournament. The spectacular Turkey and Czech game, with the subsequent run by Turkey, made me love the game.

After that game, I watched a movie called GOAL!. It was the first introduction I had to the sport really, and the main character ended up playing for Newcastle. I looked them up and started investing myself into what the Toon army was about. And, now I am here.

Also, I now have friends from England that are Newcastle supporters.

Interesting.

• Jay in Florida says:

Thanks for sharing that, thats awesome.

• MidWest Ref says:

Neat – I had heard about the Goal series.

newcastle has a long history of english top flight football. in the past the team was known for its attacking style – and apparently tremendously out of shape fans! – Not you Observer, the “big” fellows without their shirts on at St. James Park.

• Observer says:

Yeah, I started to be there supporter in 2009-2010, and they were not as good in the following years, but alas, they are in the EPL again, so I am happy.

Also, I do not consider myself a fan of Newcastle; rather, I consider myself a supporter. I think there is a difference. I live in the South — US — so I do not have a team. I like multiple teams in multiple leagues, so I am a supporter of many teams. To be a fan is to be a fanatic, and I am not that. I am a fan of soccer, though. I will watch each and every game possible.

• Rory Miller says:

I used to do that, but kind of burned myself out of it. I just can’t find a team I feel a real connection to overseas. So I just root for American players, not teams.

• biff says:

All due respect, do not like pardew, like his vulgar insults to the gentleman Pellegrini a couple of weeks ago …

link to youtube.com

nor do I like Newcastle’s style of play that verges on dirty. Hope Sunderland whups ‘em and that Jozy does not end up injured like we often see when teams go up against Newcastle, like the horror tackel on Nasri a couple of weeks ago.

• MidWest Ref says:

Pardew makes some very poor after the game comments. I appreciate his passion, although his ire is misplaced at times.

4. Observer says:

Jozy with the foul.

5. Observer says:

Jozy has a nice headed pass.

6. Observer says:

Nice control and passing by Altidore. looks good so far. He looks like he is ready for the occasion.

7. TomG says:

Cats seem to be looking for Jozy a bit.

8. Observer says:

Free header! Should have scored! What a miss by the defender.

9. shawn says:

How in the world am, I up at 745.

10. TomG says:

I notice that Jozy typically is forced to hold the ball up about thirty or so yards outside the box and the wings stream past him, putting him way behind the play. Even though he starts the sequence as the high man up the pitch, the tactics Gus employs puts the wings in position to score with Jozy far withdrawn. If anything, he needs the wings to look to cut the ball back, looking for late runs. Unfortunately, neither Johnson or Borini seem to have that skill. Jozy may also be able to nick a few goals sweeping late into the scrum in the box and poking in a rebound, but the pickings will be very slim as long as he’s employed like this.

• Fair observer says:

There’s Alonso Gettin worked again, I think I’m gonna start watching m Alonso as close as people do jozy and you’ll see how bad Alonso is. Haha

• GW says:

True but it works for the team.

And as long as it aint broke ……

Poyet’s priority is Sunderland.

11. Nate Dollars says:

question from a neutral observer:

why a yellow card on o’shea? i always thought that a deliberate handball was a straight red; is that not true?

and if it wasn’t a deliberate handball (which is my opinion), why was it a card at all? just a free kick, i would think.

• Gary Page says:

Didn’t see the play, but if the deliberate handball stops a shot on goal, it should be a red. A few years ago FIFA decreed tackles from behind that didn’t get the ball were supposed to be red, but in practice the referees soon changed to yellow, so the referees aren’t always strict in observing the rules.

• Shaggie96 says:

It’s red only if the hand ball prevents an obvious goal scoring opportunity. If it’s not a goal scoring opportunity but is done in an unsporting way it would be a yellow (like a professional foul). Otherwise, it’s just a free kick.

12. TomG says:

Another field goal for sunderland. They must lead the league. They don’t seem to realize you don’t get points for them in this kind of football.

13. Nate Dollars says:

lol, how does anita totally miss the ball?

14. shawn says:

Damn altidore doesn’t get to take ok, borini scores

• Drewbles says:

I think Altidore is pretty far down the list of penalty takers. When Sunderland went to pens against ManU he wasn’t in the top 5.

• Gary Page says:

Even when Dempsey was Fulham ‘s leading scorer, he rarely took free kicks. Soon after he started taking some he scored a beauty in the upper corner. Remember Jozy’s free kick against Bosnia? I think that’s the first free kick I’ve seen him take for the nats as Donovan usually does it. Sometimes the ability is there, but the coaches favor somebody else.

15. Nate Dollars says:

dowd is an incompetent referee.

• TomG says:

Couple very odd yellows so far. Perhaps because of the fear of fan violence, he’s trying to shush any behaviors.

• Nate Dollars says:

yeah, i typed “horrible” at first, but he hasn’t made any egregious calls, really; he just seems out of his depth.

• MidWest Ref says:

Dowd seems to be friendly with the players, but he doesn’t always seem to be on the same page with the game.

16. TomG says:

Cute little flick by Johnson to set up Bardsley for the penalty. One promising signof late is the increased offensive presence of the fullbacks since Alonso transferrred.

17. Don the Jewler says:

Goal Johnson

18. Observer says:

Sunderland!

19. shawn says:

OMG WHAT A SEXY PASS FROM ALTIDORE, LEADS TO A GOAL!!!!

20. Don the Jewler says:

Jozy with a clever back heel flick.. Props from the announcers

21. TomG says:

Jozy starts that goal beautifully with the cheeky backwards flick to Colback in stride.

22. chris says:

Jozy playing with more confidence these last 2 games. Good to see!

23. Don the Jewler says:

Lol. And Sunderland moves to 12th place in the live standings

• TomG says:

What a crazy season. It’s great. Funny that after a season of unprecedented parity and close races in MLS, we have Unusual parity in the Prem.

• Drewbles says:

The parity is really only at the bottom of the table, which isn’t really parity at all.

• Gary Page says:

The top 5 or 6 are also pretty close so that you have two clumps very close with a few teams in the middle far from either end.

• Drewbles says:

Yes, but parity would imply that those top 5-6 teams are not the same teams every year, which is not the case.

24. manicmessiah says:

This was the last thing Newcastle could afford after selling Cabaye and only bringing in one player when they needed two even if they kept Cabaye.

25. Fair observer says:

Somehow I feel reporters will still say jozy has “terrible first touch” even tho he plays nice flicks like that all the time. He set up that goal. Very nice. TomG what uuuup!?

Sup FO?

• Brett says:

When commentators refer to “first touch” they usually mean a player’s ability to trap or direct (with control) the ball into space away from a defender or toward an open look at goal. Jozy’s is not good. It’s not so bad that he has no business playing the game, but we are judging him to the standard of an international striker and it simply isn’t up to par for that level right now. It’s even more frustrating when you look at him physically, because he has all the tools in that area. His big problem is that when he traps, the ball does not stay close enough to him and when he tries to beat a defender with his first touch he loses the ball most of the time.

• Fair observer says:

Is recommend you actually watch the games before commenting……

• Fair observer says:

To elaborate, let’s just point out his play. On the goal AJ scored …. Jozy’s “first touch” nicely directed the ball “into space” for his teammate to be in on goal, AJ cleaned up the save. That, my fiend, is a good first touch. Trust me, I actually watch 80% of sunderland games…. Jory’s first touch an hold up play are a B+ at worst. His weakness is sometimes not working the correct run to get the ball later in the build. He almost always uses his large body to trap, shield and pass to teammate early in a build (aka hold up play, genius)

• Rory Miller says:

His first touch used to be awful, I think some fans still see it that way but he looks better now and that is with the increased level of competition! He must have worked at it very hard.

• Rory Miller says:

Also, I think “first touch” can be deceiving. There’s really two parts to “first touch”: receiving a pass and keeping it close in the process AND an ability to play it on with one touch. Many players struggle with one aspect but not the other.

• Fair observer says:

Correct sir. Jozy holds his own. Yea he used to be awful at first touch but now is good. Really that’s where his game has improved the most in the last few years. Hold up play etc

• usaalltheway says:

One time I scored a goal from 30 yards out so clearly that means I have the skill to do it all the time.

• Nate says:

nyrb, villareal, bb, jk, az, Sunderland all seemed to have no problems with jozy’s “first touch”,but hey, usaalltheway scored from 30 years out in a rec league once, so we should probably listen to him.

26. Fair observer says:

Btw, Marcos Alonso still looks like crap on defense and not much better on the attack

• TomG says:

I actually kind of like him. He gets forward nicely and shws a bit of skill on the ball. He’s a bit prone to the turnover I will give you, but I think he’s got some ability.

• Nate Dollars says:

yeah, i probably wouldn’t like him on my team (scratch that–my team’s dc united, so i’d love to have him). he’s pretty unreliable, but he does have skill and can be exciting.

• Fair observer says:

Ok to be fair, yes he does help in the attack and can be a positive force in that respect but I’m not sold that he knows how to defend at all… I’ve seen too many “ball watching” moments over the last several games. I’m rooting for him, yes, but he hasn’t shown me much. Potential tho, sure

27. Chris says:

FLICK OF THE YEAR

28. Observer says:

Altidore is playing well. His passing is splendid. His hold-up play is strong. We just need him to shoot.

• Gary Page says:

As I have pointed out before, he is averaging only about 1 shot per game. He definitely needs to shoot more.

29. Mr. Kaplan says:

Positive comments about Jozy. Wow!

30. shawn says:

NBC must’ve told announcers to be nice for American audience

• MidWest Ref says:

arriving late this morning after getting kids ready for saturday events.

I have heard 2 positive comments about Jozy from the announcers this morning.

31. Fair observer says:

Colback…………..

32. Mr. Kaplan says:

Can’t fault his work in keeping the ball on the end line.

33. Observer says:

Altidore with the skill to beat the right back of Newcastle.

34. Don the Jewler says:

Jozy is a different player when he is out of the box and has space.

35. shawn says:

Jozy can take on people he just doesn’t

36. TomG says:

Nice cut back across the goal there by Joz. I love that thinking. Very dangerous ball.

37. shawn says:

Omg altidore got a shot

38. Observer says:

Altidore with the shot! No room really.

39. Fair observer says:

Tough angle, no where to go. If the pass to him was a second earlier he might’ve had a good look. Good try and good hustle by borini to get to that ball

40. TomG says:

Fret job to get a shot off amid a huge crowd of black and white shirts, but it’s right at the keeper. At least he’s active and getting the ball in dangerous spots.

41. Observer says:

Altidore wins the free-kick. The man is playing great today.

42. TomG says:

Man, Jozy is winning possession with multiple black and white shirts draped all over him! He’s a beast today!

43. Nate Dollars says:

ha, after jozy’s shot, was that adam johnson screaming at him for a pass? well of course it was.

44. TomG says:

Jozy seems to be developing a bit more chemistry with Borini but he and Johnson don’t seem to ever be on the same page.

45. Observer says:

Jozy with the 20 ft. header.

46. Fair observer says:

Ok, Poyet, this is where you insert Giac in for colback (…..)

47. Don the Jewler says:

Ok now West Ham is up 2 -0 which puts Stoke in the R-Zone..maybe Cameron should think about the Sunderland offer. Amazing how tightly bunched the teams are

48. shawn says:

This team would’ve been way better with Bradley

49. usaalltheway says:

Jozy is having a great game.

On top of that Sunderland is actually playing well.

It’s a fricking miracle. If you aren’t watching, tune in!!!

50. Observer says:

Great through ball to Ki by Altidore.

51. Fair observer says:

(Jozy’s first touch says) “hey Brett. Did u see that ?” Haha

52. Bac says:

After the first half:
    - Jozy has looked good, great vision on the flick and a really nice move down near the end line
    - The biggest difference in Sunderlands play is not really the quality as much as the halftime commentators gave them credit for… it’s that their energy level and ball pressure has been very positive.
    They should have created several more chances, it still looks like nobody makes proper runs off the ball consistently … but they are making up for it with high energy and they look like they’re playing with purpose….

Now let’s see if they can do it for 90

• Fair observer says:

I agree. Energy looks great, announcers finally aren’t hating but yes, the runs off the ball are almost never there. Improvement is improvement tho

53. Fair observer says:

Nice one Marcos………….. I stand behind me assessment of Alonso….

54. Fair observer says:

Nice first touch by jozy off the throw in….. (Brett why so silent?….)

55. usaalltheway says:

That was a penalty, no?????

• Increase says:

That weird stuff in the Sunderland box? I almost feel like he didn’t call that weak pro Sunderland call that happened outside the box then he just decided to call nothing. Strange by the ref. It was like 3 weak fouls in a row. Prolly should have just called the first one so you don’t end up in a situation like that.

• usaalltheway says:

Yeah, it seemed to me that there was at least one foul amongst that mess.

I agree: Just call the first one to avoid problems.

56. Observer says:

Again, wonderful hold-up and chip pass by Altidore.

57. Fair observer says:

And almost another, defended out of bounds

58. TomG says:

Jozy getting better every week at not only winning the ball against big, strong PL defenders (often in multiples) but also at making an unpredictable move while winning the duel. Early in the season, he might win the ball but have no place to go afterwards. Now he’s starting to flick win, fake one way with his shoulders and flick the ball in the other direction so he’s got a bit of a chance to make something happen. Such is the life of a lone striker in the BPL.

59. Fair observer says:

That was his first bad first touch I’ve seen today

60. Fair observer says:

The initial, we kept the ball and he tried a good shot, blocked

61. Observer says:

Altidore is unlucky with his last two shots! Both are blocked by defenders. The second looked to be a good one.

62. Don the Jewler says:

Jozy is playing with a lot aggression, me like.

63. TomG says:

Jozy misjudged that corner a bit

64. Fair observer says:

Nice AJ. Great trap, dangled two guys and hit post.

65. Observer says:

Dempsey is not starting.

66. Fair observer says:

If it had only bounced off post to jozy who was there, he coulda scored a tap in like AJ gets every game. Haha

67. usaalltheway says:

Johnson deserved that goal. Too bad.

Simply beautiful work.

68. Fair observer says:

Good possession and I’m not mad at that shot by ki (although sunderland generally settles for long shots like a high school variety team…)

69. TomG says:

Man, if Ki just put that on goal, Jozy is right there for the rebound.

70. Fair observer says:

Nice move, bad call from ref

71. Fair observer says:

Oh no…. Here comes the hatred…

72. Chris says:

Cue the hate.

73. Don the Jewler says:

Damn Jozy !!

74. TomG says:

Noooooooo!!!! Jozy has the keeper at his mercy.

75. usaalltheway says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn it Jozy!!!

Why????????????

76. Increase says:

Arrg, just shoot turn your brain off buddy.

77. Don the Jewler says:

usaalltheway is not posting so the hate should not be too bad, but Jozy deserves some for that

• usaalltheway says:

You clearly haven’t seen my posting over the last six months.

I am usually one of his biggest supporters. I am just fed up with his lacking of scoring.

78. Leo says:

I’m always ready to defend my boy, but Jozy really should’ve put that away.

79. shawn says:

Perfect chance jozy!!!!

80. Fair observer says:

Jozy wanted the guaranteed goal. Shoulda just shot early….. Hindsight

81. TomG says:

He’s played great today, but Jozy’s GOT to score there. Right move to go around the keeper I think, just not quite deceptive enough or maybe the touch was just a bit too fine.

82. Bean says:

That was absolutely lackluster from Jozy. He needs to put way more effort to beat the keeper.

• Kosh says:

Lackluster? No it wasn’t.

It was a miss late in a game where he’s put a ton on the line. He’s been kicked and fouled like you’d never understand. He’s down on his luck and didn’t think as fast as he should have but lackluster is not the way I would put it.

83. Chris says:

I’m concerned all the positive Jozy had today will be completely negated by screwing that up. Built some confidence and threw it all away.

• usaalltheway says:

You do make a good point.

I hope you are wrong.

• Bac says:

I think the Jozy of a year or two ago would… but I don’t think so now.
      Just think about it like this, Jurgen didn’t call him in when he wasn’t giving effort and had a negative attitude..even though he was scoring goals
      Now he’s not scoring, and Jurgen is backing him 100% and remains very positive about his move and his attitude and hustle even though his team sux..

I don’t think today will be a step back

84. Fair observer says:

Brett? Like that first touch? You’ve been quiet since you’re remark

• usaalltheway says:

Why so obsessed? I was busy watching the match and then had, you know, things to do. I never said Jozy couldn’t pull off a good trap or lay off but MOST of the time it lets him down in key moments/positions.

85. Leo says:

Well, other than that, haven’t seen too many lapses by Sunderland in the second half. Playing well on both sides of the ball. Nice to see them possess and pass the ball around!

86. Fair observer says:

Utterly surprised colback did something…. Props

87. TomG says:

Such a shame he won’t bag a gaol today. This is so much more like this team should be playing. He’s much more connected and less isolated than he’s been previously and he’s been dominating the ball in the final third. His confidence would have been very well served there.

88. shawn says:

Dam English hooligans

89. Byrdman says:

Since Jozy missed his last chance Ki has chosen every pass possible. At least 3 times he chose a flat ball rather put on forward to jozy which appeared to be an easy pass. Then Colback gets the pss on the break rather than giving it to the striker. Maybe i am reading into things.

90. Don the Jewler says:

Motm. Colback, Johnson then the goalie. Jozy would be my 4th choice

91. usaalltheway says:

“We always win three-nil!!!!”

HAHAHAHAHA

92. malkin says:

Jozy just standing around in the last few minutes. Looks like he’s not getting his goal today. Too bad, heck of a game again, can’t believe he blew that chance. As the commentator said at the end Wednesday, you really will him to get that goal because he deserves it with all the great work he’s put in.

93. Bac says:

Now the impressive thing is Sunderland added to their first half energy by playing a more complete second half..
    Even though the game opened up some the defense didn’t bend and their build-up and counters had more purpose…

And Jozy could have said this would have been his most complete performance if he’d finished that . I hope everyone won’t waste their energy destroying him…

There’s no apology for missing that one.. just gotta move on

94. Fair observer says:

Was that ki again not passing to jozy with a 4 on 3?!?!….. Racism! Haha joking

95. Joe B NYC says:

I think with all the great work he’s put in today, as a forward, he’s entitled to get that type of ball more than once a game…

96. TomG says:

As good a passer as Ki is, he’s completely unable or unwilling to play a decent through ball. Time after time, Jozy or another player makes a run up the middle and Ki holds and holds and shuffles it off to the wing. I think he only wants to make safe passes and doesn’t have that killer pass mentality.

97. Razak Pimpong says:

Any way someone could post a gif of the Jozy chance for those of us who don’t have NBCS?

98. usaalltheway says:

Great game.

Jozy did wonderfully EXPECT for that missed opportunity. It’s going to haunt him.

If Sunderland can keep it up, they may just manage to survive the season.

• Kosh says:

No, no it’s not. He’s a professional striker and they miss all the time and know better that you will get another chance.

• TomG says:

No question they do, but with Jozy’s drought, the lack of service at Sunderland and the addition of Scocco, I’m a bit worried about him.

• Nate Dollars says:

if he’d been scoring even close to consistently, i think you’d be right. but that was as clear an opportunity as he’s going to get at sunderland, and he flubbed it.

he had the right idea (round the keeper), just didn’t take it far enough.

the problem is, he doesn’t “miss all the time”; he just doesn’t get many opportunities at all. especially with scocco coming in, there’s really no guarantee he’ll “get another chance” like that.

• Nate Dollars says:

and really, it might make it even worse that this is one of the best games i’ve seen him play. he did almost everything right. but that one screwup could make it a wash, in his mind. it shouldn’t, but it might.

• Kosh says:

True, but only he can know that for sure. I think getting great performances in and having the full trust of your coach and growing trust of your teammates will do wonders to help with negative thoughts, That kind of support can get the worst out of any kind of funk.

• Kosh says:

He’s getting there. He’s getting closer and the team are figuring out how to play with him. I am not worried one bit. He’s a striker and he’s going through a rough patch. It won’t last forever and once he’s past it I am sure he’ll remember how to score.

Sometimes plays like this happen and sometimes it bounces off of your backside and goes in. I choose to look at the full body of work he’s putting in instead of lingering on a play that he’s probably waaaay over right now. They got the points against a rival in a game he’s put in a great shift – all things that can help you forget misses like that.

99. biff says:

Another great game from Sunderland and now a mid-table team (which I called a few weeks ago ;-) but I never thought it would happen this fast). Jozy was awesome and playing ruff games like that will pay dividends in Brazil and against big physical teams like Germany and Ghana.

Luuk de Jong looked shell-schocked after the game, playing just 48 hours after his move from Gladbach. Big mistake, I think, for him to go to Newcastle.

100. biff says:

@Joamiq: Holtby is starting for Fulham today. Clint sits. Just sayin’.

link to soccerbyives.net

101. A.S.A. says:

Crazy how one game can change everything. Go from Sunderland is the worst team ever. Going to get relegated…Jozy needs to leave blah blah blah. To wow Sunderland is now in the top half of the table and has a league cup game against Manchester City that they can win. Gotta love sports.

• Kosh says:

+ 1

Fans linger in the moments while managers go for the long play. They’re on the up right now and could go on a down just as easily too. The point is it’s never over until it really is so the fat lady doesn’t sing as often as fans tend to do.

• Fair observer says:

Yea just like San Antonio were up 3 points in game 6 last year about to sun the championship with like 2 seconds left…. Then…..

• Gary Page says:

Because there are so many teams bunched together at the bottom half, a couple of wins and a draw and they can shoot up. If a team could get like 3 wins out of 4, say, they can go from bottom to middle practically that quick.

102. Ac says:

Jozy with great hold up play and passing today. Shame on the one on one with goalie. A goal would have topped it off

103. biff says:

If Sunderland’s interest in Geoff Cameron was genuine, that might be a good move Cameron this summer. I am starting to love Sunderland’s style of play. Building attack from the back, calm passing under pressure, and one hell of a great counterattack. In any case, if Cameron can keep up his good form this spring and add to that a strong World Cup, there will be demand for him.

104. Bean says:

Let’s go Cameron.

105. malkin says:

Pulled up this Gooch v Brek battle on firstrow. Haven’t seen the other barnsley games, but interestingly enough it looks like they’re using Brek on the right wing.

106. Karl L says:

Altidore finally earning his wages……. Sort of.
    Missing those easy goals makes him the odd man out.
    Scocco scores next week and it’s lights out for Jozy

• atd says:

Seriously? Jozy IS the focal point of that attack. So Poyet is going to blow up a team that’s taken ten of the last twelve points just because they won 3-0 instead of 4-0?

107. Jinko says:

Expectations are so low on Altidore that the day he looks like an actual soccer player people act as if he’s Messi.

• Bean says:

Every play that Altidore doesn’t lose the ball from his wooden touch, is a good play.

• Madden's Chin says:

It’s amazing really.

He completes a few passes and he’s had a great game. No, he had a bad game. His job is scoring goals. That miss is what sets the top flight strikers apart from the championship level strikers like Jozy.

• Observer says:

Some people in England disagree with you mate.

link to www1.skysports.com

• Madden's Chin says:

Good for them. You know what that means in the grand scheme of things? 0 goals. He blew a sure-fire goal.

1 goal in 21 appearances. That’s what that means. If they hadn’t blown so much money on Jozy as their big signing he’d be on the reserve squad.

• Observer says:

Are you a fan/supporter of the USMNT?

If so, does it really matter if he doesn’t score? He didn’t score in the last World Cup, but he helped immensely with every win and draw we had.

Obviously, the goal of the game is to get goals. But, I would take a no-goal scoring Jozy like today over the one-goal scoring Jozy that played against Chelsea.

• Bean says:

I’ll take Bacon, and Gomez.

• Leo says:

Guess we’ll be thankful you’re not on the coaching staff.

By the way, how comfy is the couch you occupy every Saturday morning?

• Madden's Chin says:

Yeah, it matters. It matters because every time Jozy Altidore shanks a perfect chance he hurts all American players. Every time Jozy Altidore shanks a perfect chance, he moves a step closer to the bench permanently.

Don’t think for one second that if Jozy hadn’t been the marquee signing of the summer that he wouldn’t have been loaned out or dropped from the game day roster already.

This isn’t the MLS where you can go Clint Dempsey and suck for a quarter of a season and everyone will hold hands and sing kumbaya with you.

This is the EPL where you get one or maybe two shots if you’re lucky to make a difference.

And he continues to blow his.

An EPL player should be able to complete some freaking passes. The fact that people get excited on here is maddening.

• Observer says:

Obviously, I won’t be able to change your opinion of him over the interweb, so just hate Jozy as a player then.

Being “able to complete some freaking passes” is a skill that all players of the EPL should have.

I agree!

But, making key passes in the final third that help his teammates have shots on target is different, and I don’t think you know the difference between the two.

Sure, the man will be judged by how many goals he has scored, because that IS what a striker is supposed to do. BUT, I personally do not care if he scores. He is easily the best striker the US has. He plays to the teams strengths — whatever team that is.

• MJC-DC says:

There excited he completed a creative pass that was critical to the build up of a goal and overall played a strong game today. Not that hes a PL player make completed passes. The fact that you ignore this simple but important distinction make your argument seem so much more trivial.

Furthermore he’s been on a poor run of form and people should be happy to see him turn a corner. Instead your obsessing over his blown chance and trying to construe it as the most defining part of his performance today.

• Nate Dollars says:

“It matters because every time Jozy Altidore shanks a perfect chance he hurts all American players.”

[cut to meeting of directors of anonymous eredivisie club]

director 1: hey, what do you think of this diskerud kid?

director 2: yeah, i don’t know…didn’t you hear altidore shanked another perfect chance last week?”

director 1: yeah, you’re right. screw this guy.

• Byrdman says:

No. No. Its going to be okay. Really. Come down off tne ledge my friend. I promise the sun will come up tomorrow

• CroCajun1003 says:

We could discuss the role of a striker in an offense, particularly the lone strike position Jozy plays at Sunderland, but it would probably be a lost cause.

I ask you though, hypothetically, if Jozy doesn’t win all the balls he did today. If he doesn’t make all the passes and put in the hard hold-up work. Yet, he somehow scores a freak deflection goal where the ball essentially bounces off of him and lands in the net, and Sunderland loses 2-1; would you consider this a better performance than the one he put forth today? Is scoring individual goals really more important than doing the little things that help the team win?

• GW says:

Madden’s Chin says:
            “His job is scoring goals. That miss is what sets the top flight strikers apart from the championship level strikers like Jozy…….You know what that means in the grand scheme of things? 0 goals. He blew a sure-fire goal.”

On Sunderland Borini and Johnson are doing the scoring. Jozy, while not scoring much, has “created” quite a lot of their goals with his assists and by doing the other things a typical English center forward does, things no other player on their roster is likely capable of.

Scocco does not play that way and is unproven in the EPL, Fletcher appears either out of favor or if rumours are true, has Achilles issues. There is of course, Wickham.

But more important is as you say “the grand scheme of things”.

With Sunderland playing that possession style that Jozy seems to be a very big part of, they have won three league games in a row, and gone five w/o losing. And they have climbed out of the relegation zone for the moment. And Jozy seems to be improving.

He doesn’t have to score, he has to make sure Sunderland keep playing well and winning.

I don’t see Poyet fixing something that ain’t broke and that he took so long to get going until he has to..

• Nic D "the TX 2 Stepper" says:

No such thing as a sure fire goal. See today for example or any of a hundred strikers that you rate higher than Jozy.

• Bean says:

Jozy is held to a lower standard than most strikers. I agree that he held the ball up well today, and loved his heel-flick that culminated in a goal. In the end, and when it comes to Sunderland, and other clubs measuring his success, it will be due to his ability to score goals for the club.

• beachbum says:

Poyet appears to disagree with you tho we would all like him to score goals, but Poyet has changed Jozy’s role and is now having his team look to play thru Jozy more than at any time he’s been there. it’s pretty cool. the goals will come because of all of this imo. That was Sunderland’s most dominant game yet this year, and on the road. Some of those prick Sunderland home fans need to look in the mirror to identify the losers and get with the program

• Gary Page says:

You and some other people seem to forget that the object of the game is to win. If a striker wins a dangerous free kick or penalty, passes for the winning goal, draws a red card from the opposition because of good play, you know what? That is success. It really doesn’t matter if yiou win 1-0 or 4-0. Also, consider some players with great skill, such as Adu, but who can’t make a mark because they don’t do those little things. Chicharito has a great scoring record, but almost never starts. Why? Maybe because he doesn’t play D or pass well, or whatever. There are a lot of players who look flashy but really hurt the team in the long run and some who don’t look outstanding, but do all those other things that that make the team successful. This is true in all sports.

• GW says:

bean,
            Who are these center forwards that Jozy is being held to a lower standard than?

Lewandoski? He’s at another level. Suarez and Sturridge? Different kind of players.

Very few players score as much as those guys do and put in the work that Jozy does.

You are stuck on semantics. As long as whatever it is Jozy does is contributing to Sunderland doing well, and it looks like it does, Jozy will play.

When Jozy came to Sunderland Di Canio brought him in to score but forgot about putting the players and structure around him that he had in Holland.

So Jozy, playing by himself, did not score.

Poyet comes in and changes everything and asks them to play a higher tempo, quick passing game, more like what Jozy is used to. And the hot players are Johnson and Borini, so Jozy’s role is to clear out the middle for them to cut in

Right now Sunderland’s offense is not geared to providing Jozy with the prime opportunities

And given how well everything is going, there is little reason to deviate from what is working.

And Jozy’s first season isn’t over.

Most sane and sober people would judge Jozy after the season is done, especially now that he seems to be reviving.

• Nate Dollars says:

“His job is scoring goals.”

no, his job is to help the team win, however he does it. that’s it. when all’s said and done, as long as sunderland keeps playing well, do you really think poyet cares about jozy’s scoring stats? hell no.

and he had a great game.

• Bean says:

He may be helping the team, but he’s not helping himself. Eventually they’ll find a striker that can also score goals as well as pass the ball.

• Nate Dollars says:

i agree, which is why scocco coming could very well mean bad news for jozy. i was simply adding nuance to madden’s pub league opinion that jozy’s job is to “score goals”.

• GW says:

“Eventually they’ll find a striker that can also score goals as well as pass the ball.”

Yeah and that guy might be Jozy.

Jozy’s history is clear; put him someplace that knows how to use him and he scores.

It happened at AZ and it happened with the USMNT.

Now that Sunderland has finally gotten their act together it could happen with Jozy.

• MJC-DC says:

Scoring is the only thing?

(1) Touch
        (2) Passing
        (3) Athleticism

….

Just to name a few. Those things set PL and CL strikers apart as well.

• TomG says:

Actually, every rational observer disagrees with you. Every player rating has him as a 7 or higher. I think maybe Jozy slept with your girlfriend or something. You’re always so irrationally hateful.

• beachbum says:

that Jozy has stood tall and kept fighting is THE story on his season so far as he has demonstrated a level of maturity and toughness many said he couldn’t achieve and didn’t have, and now has earned Poyet’s full trust in the Sunderland story.

if some folks cannot see it it’s on them, reveals their lack of vision and ability to see what’s happening and has been happening for what is now months at this point

Jozy hasn’t become Pele but he’s playing well and fitting in reliably and even winning over some of the English!

108. Brian S. says:

Skysports gave Jozy a “9″ in their ratings today and they are usually very hard on him. Clearly they didn’t hold the miss against him because he was dominant in all other aspects.

• Madden's Chin says:

9s in British ratings are nothing like 9s on SBI or ESPN or wherever. There are 3 players on Sunderland that got a 9 and 5 that had an 8.

• Observer says:

Why would that make a difference?

I would rather have Jozy playing well and have Englishmen perceive him as being decent. British ratings are probably the ratings Americans should care about the most.

109. CroCajun1003 says:

While watching Jozy has been a bit of a soap opera this year, watching Geoff Cameron has been an absolute joy.

Among the most underrated players in the EPL.

• Bean says:

Cameron’s first season with Stoke was very good as well. He is a tackling machine. He was second only to Zabaleta for tackles by defenders in his debut season. He was not phased at all by the big name players that he was up against.

• biff says:

Yeah, Cameron having yet another solid game against top quality attackers. He schooled Evra once, swiping the ball. Stoke up 1-0 at halftime. But Man Ur has had chances, unable to convert. Cameron holding back offensively, has not seen much of the ball in attack. And actually, Stoke is mainly playing long ball, not much attack and is lucky to have the lead.

• Bean says:

They’ll have to come out a bit now. The mancs just equalized. They could sit back before, with a lead, but now they must decide on a tie or a win.

• CroCajun1003 says:

Excited to see what Cameron will do at the WC with quality attacking players ahead of him. He and Donovan along the right flank sounds like an exciting proposition.

It’s amazing to hear people still ask about Evans, Dolo, Yedlin, and Chandler. For me, RB is no longer a question mark for the USMNT. Cameron has been immense.

Seems to never get the respect he deserves though.

• Gary Page says:

I have been saying for some time that I think Klinsmann has played Cameron in the middle and Evans at RB in order to have skilled backups at those positions. He knows how well Cameron can play RB as I’m sure he watches all the Stoke games and every EPL game with a US international. I may be wrong, but I think we will see Cameron at RB in Brazil.

• beachbum says:

good to see you here on the running commentary laying it down

Geoff really showing he can hang, week after week, at a position of need for the USMNT. will be interesting to see if Klinnsman yields on this and begins to see Cameron as the RB our team needs instead of a CB

110. Bryan says:

So Clint is going to sit on the bench behind Holtby on a different team this time? Sucks for him. Holtby won’t do anything either though, he is so overrated.

• John says:

Holtby kind of reminds me of a jack russell playing soccer. Seems to just run himself in circles with little positional sense.

• biff says:

+1 overrated and grates on the nerves. I can imagine how Clint feels about him. And Holtby left Schalke in a big mess last January, demanding a move with contract running down and Schalke only got 1.5m and then a year later begging to go back–if Schalke pays 10m to Tottenham to get him back. Draxler to his credit is insuring that Schalke will get market value for him when he leaves.

• TomG says:

Ha. He does have amazing Jack Russell like energy.

• TomG says:

Even with the addition of Holtby, there are still places for Deuce to play on that side. Might be more of a form and fitness thing.

111. NCchris says:

Skysports comments for the centerbacks Williamson and Taylor, who both received 4:
    “Very poor, couldn’t handle Altidore”

112. Dainja says:

In my opinion, best game yet by Jozy. This is the second game in a row where he has absolutely BULLIED the opponents’ center backs. Also the second game in a row he didn’t convert a golden chance. But hey, all people around the league will see today is that dee-lish back heel to start the second goal, in highlights. I think today just cemented him as the starter.

113. Joe says:

Did Freddy Adu get the start for Blackpool?

114. Bean says:

Charlie Adam! That Scot-scouse!

115. TomG says:

Beautiful far post ball by Cam to start the goal sequence.

• Joe says:

Cameron’s touch on crosses has improved immensely this season.

• KNPonder says:

A year or so ago, if you would have told me that Cameron will be our starting right back at World Cup, I would have probably laughed. He has settled into the role very well. I agree, his crossing has improved immensely. He can get forward and contribute. It is frustrating at times to see comments on this board saying that he can’t. That might have been the Cameron from a year or so ago, but not the Cameron of today. I think he is our best option at RB and the gap is widening on a daily basis.

116. CroCajun1003 says:

Anybody got a stream for Brek Shea game?

117. Joe says:

Will Packwood looks set to go 90 for Birmingham, again. In the next cycle, Packwood and Brooks will provide great cover (if not more) for Besler and Gonzalez.

• atd says:

Amobi Okogi, Shane O’Neill . . . the cupboard is suddenly looking (potentially) full.

• GW says:

That is what they were saying in 2009.

Then Bradley had to go to South Africa in 2010 with with two starting centerbacks who had not recovered fully from their injuries.

Let me know how that list looks in the winter of 2017.

118. Byrdman says:

Is it just coincidence that Sunderland played so good with Catermole on the bench?

• KNPonder says:

I thought Bridcutt did well today. He does lack a little size and that might hurt them going forward. With that said, it did not hurt them today as Newcastle was very physical. I think Bridcutt will get pushed around more than Sunderland would like, but I could see him replacing Cattermole if he continues to play like he did today. I mean no reds from that spot is a plus . . . right?!

• TomG says:

He’s much quicker than Catt. He covers a lot more ground. Poyet seemed to loosen the reins a bit on the whole team, maybe knowing that Bridcutt had the speed to recover.

• GW says:

It was a good game but it was only one game and his first one at that.

• beachbum says:

no it is not imo

• Nic D "the TX 2 Stepper" says:

No it is not.

119. Isaac says:

If you’re going to criticize Jozy’s touch, passing, dribbling, etc., when you think it’s poor, then you should acknowledge when they’re on point, not just move on to the next thing you can criticize.

I’ll admit, Jozy’s lack of goals annoys me. If he could stick away even simple chances, people would be so much less all over him.

That said, you would have to be a fool to not recognize Jozy’s contribution to the team today despite his lack of goals.

No doubt, today helps his confidence. He was great. There are always things to work on, but I honestly feel like if he gets that goal that is evading him he’ll really get rolling.

• beachbum says:

great post, balanced realism. the only thing I’d add is that the team is really looking to him now and they weren’t before, or couldn’t, whatever it was. That has changed this year 2014 and even within the past couple of weeks, where his teammates are playing him the ball when they simply weren’t before. Jozy was at least as much frustrated as lacking in confidence, moreso I’d say. But Poyet has been clear what he wants and who he is believing in, and his team has turned it around and are now winning on the road

• Gary Page says:

You know what, the only opinion that matters right now is Poyet and Klinsmann and I think both of them are very happy with how well Jozy played. For those who doubt Jozy’s ability to score, go watch a video of the US-Bosnia game.

• TomG says:

Poyet today, “Jozy Altidore had an excellent game for us and it was just a shame he couldn’t get a goal but there were positives for us all over the pitch.”

120. Bean says:

Manchester looks very mediocre despite the amount of talent that they have in Rooney, RvP, Mata. Stoke at Britannia are a tough tough team.

121. Observer says:

If anyone is wondering…

Brek Shea is beating players off the dribble and is playing some decent passes.

Nothing special, though. His side is down to 10 men.

122. Observer says:

Brek is a little shaken up after being hit in the head with a cross and sliding into the advertisement boards.

123. biff says:

Stoke-Man U a great and wild game and Cameron getting better deep in the second half defending like a madmam as Stoke tries to hold on for the win. And Cameron’s great cross set up the go-ahead goal.

• Bean says:

Stoke has not lived up to their reputation for boring football this season. They have had some of the most entertaining matches this season.

• Brew says:

I missed the game. Does Stoke City still play “Earthquakes style” of soccer under Mark Hughes? Wondering now that Tony Pulis is at Crystal Palace do we start referring San Jose to ” Crystal Palace of MLS” this year?

• Bean says:

They still play English style football, very physical, and fast, but they have started to play the ball on the ground much more than under Pulis. Players that Hughes has brought in are better suited for a better game. Just like any club with a strong aerial forward, they still do put balls over the top, but increasingly they play on the ground.

They have been tough to beat all season, and have only lost twice at home.

124. Black Eagles! says:

Which USMNT player is having the best European season? IMO, it either has to be Cameron or Howard.

125. Bean says:

Here comes Chicharito. He’s Stoke’s kryptonite.

126. Observer says:

Shea just got torn apart! Both sides down to 10 men!

127. Observer says:

Brek is back on the pitch.

128. Increase says:

Hey, Danny Williams scored.

• Increase says:

That’s it cause im not watching it. =(

• biff says:

My take yesterday on a disparaging comment about daniel williams.

link to soccerbyives.net

• Increase says:

He and Reading have a good shot at promotion. Sucks that why have 2 guys both in the promotion playoff area. Both can’t go up.

• biff says:

I just noticed, thought, that Nottinham has played two fewer games than Reading but is even on points. So a possible six points, and they play the last place team Sunday. Just gotta hope that either Nottingham or Reading can reach second place for the automatic move up.

129. Observer says:

Barnsley now down a man again. 10 v 9.

130. Dainja says:

Fulham has that “Bolton look” about them, like two years ago.

…DOOMED. Thankfully Deuce is only there on loan.

• Gary Page says:

Fulham’s defense is horrible. Unless drastic changes are made there, they are doomed. Guys will run into the box with the ball and defenders will lay back 3 yards off them. Also, they leave big gaps in their back line. No wonder they lose so much.

131. Observer says:

If anyone wants to know….

Alejandro Bedoya and Nantes play at 2:00
    Aron Johannsson and AZ play at 2:45

and

The U.S. plays at 5:00

132. Observer says:

Barnsley lose at the last second!

133. Increase says:

Barcelona just lost… Both Madrids won’t lose this week. They wont be top by the end of the weekend. I have never liked Barcelona… don’t really know why but some of it is the horrible jerseys. Those Jerseys are indefensible.

134. John says:

Cherundolo doesn’t make the bench :(

• Sandtrout says:

Cherundolo has been among the best USA players for years. I’ve loved watching him. But that part of his career is over. Thanks, Steve, you were great.

135. TomG says:

“I’ve definitely let the boys down in front of goal and I’ve been freezing up a bit, but I’ve been trying to do other things to try and make an effect.”

That about sums it up. Let’s hope he gets his confidence back and gets back to finishing instinctively instead of thinking so much. He seems such a thoughtful and humble guy and that’s fantastic, but I’d love to see a bit more selfishness and arrogance on the pitch from him. I think the top strikers have almost an irrational, thoughtless belief in themselves.

That being said, he was A hugely dominant force today. If he keeps up this kind of performance, some goals will come and his confidence will soar.

• GW says:

Mr. T.

I assume you are referrring to Jozy.

Jozy is not a top striker now nor has he ever been one. He is too inconsistent.
      His time at AZ and his struggles earlier this season show that he requires a certain kind of structure to be successful. And he needs a manager who really “gets” him.

This does not mean he cannot develop into a really fine striker for Sunderland and the USMNT. From here on out I suspect he will become an indispensable part of Sunderland’s attack if he isn’t already.

And I think he will go on to score quite a few goals for both the US and Sunderland.
      But I doubt he’ll ever be in the very elite class of a guy like Suarez or Lewandoski.

In fact, Clint, for example, is a better scorer and always will be as long as his body holds up.

Jozy appears to be too nice a person, too team oriented. It’s a very fine line but that is all it takes at the level we are talking about. Deuce is a much harder character and a lot of these top players are not the most pleasant of human beings, if you can call them that.

136. Jimmy says:

It’s a shame that NBC l

• Jimmy says:

Oops, phone fail!
      It’s a shame NBC lost MLS rights. The production of the uswnt game last night on fox and the EPL games today was drastically different. I hope they get it together for MLS.

137. Tony in Quakeland says:

I’ll bury this at the bottom of long thread of comments where no one will ever find it, bu…I’m almost feeling sorry for Man U.

Almost.

138. SilverRey says:

Libya up 3-1 on pks against Ghana. Just missed their 4th…

139. SilverRey says:

3-2 going into the 5th round

140. Observer says:

Starting Line-up:

Rimando; Evans, Gonzalez, Besler, Parkhurst; Beckerman, Diskerud; Zusi, Donovan, Davis; Wondolowski

• John says:

LD is captain

• John says:

Wondo and Davis with the most to prove

• Observer says:

My sentiments exactly. A strong performance is a must for both, and then they must stand-out in the beginning of the MLS season.

• Benjamin C. says:

With Danny Williams starting to string together some solid performances with Reading, Beckerman might also help himself with a good match.

• Observer says:

I don’t know….

Williams has fallen out of favour. He would have to have a lot more games similar to the one today to be considered.

• Good Jeremy says:

Meh. How many chances is Davis gonna get? Ditto with Wondo.
      I do like Gonzo, Besler, and Evans playing together though, they look like locks for Brazil so you might as well get them used to playing with each other. I’m wondering if/when Yedlin comes in and where they play him. I could see him going on the wing and then falling back when Evans going forward, and vice-versa.

141. shawn says:

omg what a boring us lineup

• Observer says:

I wish Yedlin would have started instead of Evans, but why is it boring?

• Benjamin C. says:

Any other year and you might see a more experimental lineup i.e. Gil, Yedlin, etc. However, Klinsmann has made it abundantly clear that every game from here until the summer is to prep the players who have the best chance to go to Brazil, as shown by this starting lineup.

142. Observer says:

Mike Magee out with food poisoning.

143. usaalltheway says:

What is this obsession that JK has with Parkhurst???

I can’t be the only one who thinks he is terrible on the ball, out-of-form, slow and un-athletic right?

Why no Yendlin? The rest seems like the normal group.

Any predictions?

• Increase says:

Wait isn’t Parkhurst a Right back? I bet he gets burned a few times on that side.

But in theory Parkhurst should be a competent defender but… ya… I would rather let the youngins get blooded.

• usaalltheway says:

I totally agree.

It’s a friendly and our fullback situation still isn’t resolved. Yendlin might be needed in Brazil, despite being too green.

144. CroCajun1003 says:

WHO ALL READY TO OVER-ANALYZE THIS FRIENDLY?

• usaalltheway says:

I AM!!!!!

:D

• Good Jeremy says:

I don’t know if you can. We only have a handful of games left before the world cup and several of these players are fighting for spots on the plane. I think the chemistry between Gonzo and Besler will be vital, as well as how well Evans does against quality competition. Cameron will steal either Gonzo or Evan’s spot so this game will be vital to see who gets bumped.

145. shawn says:

why the flip isnt watchespn working.
    Nobody cares about these bottom feeder acc teams switch game

146. shawn says: