Must-See Assist: Steven Gerrard

StevenGerrardLiverpoolCelebratesGoal1-Everton2014 (Getty)

This entry was posted in European Soccer, Must-See Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Must-See Assist: Steven Gerrard

1. Joe C. says:

Daaaaaaaaaang.

Glad to see the “must-see assist” entry, I’ve always thought that much more of the glory should go to the passer than generally does.

2. Off Topic says:

The best Liverpool player ever.

The best English midfielder ever. Name 5 who are better

Honestly out of midfielders today, I can only rate Xavi as being better. Xabi Alonso, Beckham, Lampard, Schweinstiger come close but no cigar. Gerrard is the BEST.

shame he doesn’t have a Premier League trophy. it’s the only 1 he’s missing. Fernando Torres definitely misses having him

• George says:

Beckham? LOL

• KingGoogleyEye says:

“Midfielder” is a too broad term which includes positions that cannot be compared: defensive mids, attacking, wings, etc. For example, Reus and Ribery are midfielders, but should not be compared to Gerrard—totally different roles.

I think you mean center mids, to which you could add several to your list of current great ones: Pirlo, Gundogan, Iniesta, Ozil, Toure, Pjanic.

I don’t care who is “best.” Those debates are meaningless to me.

• Sly says:

Kenny Dalglish, John Barnes (player who Gerard modelled himself after), Ian Rush, Xabi, Luis Suarez.

I love Gerrard I’ve watched him since I can’t say but I’ve watched Liverpool for longer. He’s in the pantheon but he isn’t Zeus.

• GW says:

Off Topic asked for English midfielders.

Dalglish is Scottish and was a striker/ atacking midfielder
        Barnes was a winger
        Rush was Welsh and a striker/center forward
        Xabi (Alonso I presume?) was Spanish
        Suarez is Uruguayan and a striker

• GW says:

“best English midfielders ever”?

I don’t know about better but at least as good were/are Scholes, Lampard, Robson, Bobby Charlton, Beckham are in the conversation with Gerrard.

3. jay nt says:

i love that man

4. Off Topic 2.0 says:

Gerrard could have easily started for Barcelona or Real Madrid and been a success

5. Turgid Jacobian says:

Heh. That was tight.

6. Isaac says:

He really is pure class and a joy to watch. All the intangibles you want in a midfielder, skill when it’s needed, control, composure, and amazing ball striking ability, be it shooting, passing, or crossing. One of the best midfielders in the game this past decade or so.

• steven Gerrard 100 goals for LIVERPOOL says:

top 5 midfielder in the PL era

Yep. top 5 being Veira, Keane, Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard

1 of the best English players ever

• Amru says:

Yaya toure would have something to say about that

• ehhh says:

I really like that top 5. Stevie g’s versatility has always been a bit of a gift and a curse in my eyes, He has played throughout the midfield for club and country but his ball striking abilities and commitment are of the highest order. If him and Lampard played in different times, each of them would have been more appreciated

7. DR7_Liverpool_ says:

Brilliant service by Steven. Happy to see him get some recognition for his weighted passes. Also came up big burying that penalty. Splendid season so far

8. El Paso tx says:

Will he ever come to MLS , him and Lampard would be a badass addition.

9. Brett says:

I’ve seen Michael Bradley make this pass before. Not that impressed.

• Jacknut says:

Thank you. I’ve seen plenty of passes like that one before. EVERY single USMNT fan should have Ramos to Stewart etched on the inside of their eyelids.

• Aaron says:

No way, Ramos is my favorite National team player, but there’s no way his pass against Columbia can compare. Ramos chips it forward off the dribble, Gerrard hits his first time with the outside of his foot to not only weight it correctly, but angle the spin into the striker’s path. That pass was better than anything I’ve seen from a USMNT guy. Please prove me wrong, cause I want to see more great assists!

10. Jacknut says:

I am glad to see a Must See Assist category make an appearance. We need more of that.

11. fischy says: