Is this the USMNT’s new World Cup home jersey?

USMNT 2014 World Cup home jersey

By FRANCO PANIZO

A World Cup year means new jerseys for most if not all nations set to participate in the tournament.

This might be the U.S. Men’s National Team’s.

Toodosobrecamisetas.com, which has a history of correctly leaking U.S. jerseys, released images on Saturday of what is believed to be the new U.S. World Cup home jersey. The biggest talking point will surely be the collar, which the U.S. has not sported since a friendly in 2006 and not used at a World Cup since its successful 2002 campaign. It also has thin horizontal gray lines that are only noticeable with a hard look.

The jersey also marks the return of the regular U.S. Soccer crest. The U.S. used a special centennial crest for much of 2013 to commemorate its 100 year anniversary.

Here are a few more images of the jersey:

USMNT World Cup jersey 2USMNT World Cup jersey 3

What do you think of the jersey? Like the collar and thin stripes? Wish the centennial crest was used instead? Planning on buying one?

This entry was posted in Featured, FIFA World Cup, U.S. Men's National Team, World Cup 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

163 Responses to Is this the USMNT’s new World Cup home jersey?

1. Bob says:

i like it

2. wood chip zip says:

USA badge not classy enough for a collared jersey.

3. P says:

One of the worst logos in international football…

4. MLSsnob says:

Back to the old crest? That’s disappointing.

• Should have stuck with the centennial crest. Collar and color is good.

• Scott says:

The blue is the wrong shade. National team should use national colors. That being said, I would accept pink and kelly green if they would get rid of that awful crest. I have purchased exactly one USMNT jersey. The one with the centennial crest. Just couldn’t pull the trigger on anything with the stupid ball in motion crest with the incorrect color stripes.

• Scott says:

Further, the US flag does not have blue stripes.

5. John says:

When.do they come out

6. MLS_Soccer_Talker says:

I’ve seen Red USMNT polos that look just like that.

• Roy says:

My first thought was this is a leaked polo. I like collared jerseys but I’m betting this is a leaked polo short, not jersey.

• Rory says:

Agreed. I don’t buy nike jerseys (run small compared to Adidas and I don’t fit a nike Xxl), do they usually say “dry fit ” in the jerseys like that?

• Matty17 says:

Polo’s usually dont have side vents. Wait for the away jersey. Its going to be crazy ha

7. David says:

Bring back the centennial crest, so much better than the kid’s version.

• Siberian says:

+1. Why is US Soccer so stubborn on the crest? I don’t know a single fan who would be sad to see it go.

• Bettsy to says:

I am one. I like the real crest. The throw back shoul be left thrown back.

• SFTony says:

That’s fine, leave the throwback for the throwback. That doesn’t mean this early 90′s style design has any place at the 2014 WC. At the very least, make he stripes red and the star section blue… you know, like the actually flag.

• Scott says:

I know it is comforting to see the soccer ball in motion, when you are confused as to which sport you are watching. But really, the colors are wrong and it is cheesy. Maybe you should focus on finishing your Jello before the orderly comes to take you back to your room for the night.

• MLSsnob says:

Ha!

• Anthony says:

Congrats…on the website bully/a-hole to some that expressed an opinion in a non-derogatory manner!

I really wish people would act/write like the do in person and the website tough guy. Then again, you could just be an a**hole in person

• Gabe says:

I like the crest. A lot.

8. Jwakes says:

Boooooring. Waldo jerseys were the best. This is meh. Hope not.

• bottlcaps says:

• Sarasota says:

Agree! The flag stripe “Waldo” kits finally gave us a “signature” US look like a Germany, Brazil. Spain, Argentina…. Now we’re back to the flavor of the month again. This could be anyone’s jersey. And you don’t have collars when you’re playing in 95 degree heat in Manaus in the Amazon.This is crap and the ’90s clip art logo is an embarrassment to the players and the fan base.

• bombast says:

Yes, incredibly boring. And the away will just be a navy blue polo shirt with red piping. Or a red polo with blue piping. I’m putting myself to sleep just thinking about it… Anyway, I’ll be wearing my 2013 Red & White striped jersey with pride this World Cup.

• Skippy says:

Agree. The Waldo jerseys were iconic. You could look in the stands and identify the US fans instantly.

9. Jon says:

I like it, but I always like simple kits.
    I don’t quite understand the reason for the change in the shades of blue/red.

• Steve says:

I don’t know about the red, but the blue looks much closer to shade of blue that’s on the actual American flag (like the Miracle on Ice jerseys from 1980) in comparison to the Navy Blue that’s been used by Nike since the 1992 Olympics. I like it.

• jonk says:

Yep, this shade of blue appears to be closer to the same blue as the stripes on the flag, errrr…
        But seriously, if they aren’t going to permanently adopt the centennial, just switch the red and blue on the current crest.

• Scott says:

Have you looked at an actual American flag? If so, I will assume that either you are color blind or your monitor needs adjustment. This blue is not used on the American flag. This jersey looks like the cheap knockoffs sold at kids soccer tournaments.

10. KEEP says:

With the centennial crest, this jersey is really nice. Funny, the first thing that stuck out was how much it reminded me of the 02 kit.

11. Maykol says:

I really liked the Waldo jerseys, they were different and made us stand out

12. Shyam says:

I like it when US Jerseys have sashes. They don’t have to be the most prominent, but I want them there. This just looks like a modified France jersey; which would be okay if we were France.

• Grant says:

I liked them also… we almost had a signature look to our kits. Even the waldo shirts had them even though they were harder to see.

13. MLS_Soccer_Talker says:

Glad I bought a centennial jersey

14. Reg Chapman says:

Not a fan, I’m anti-collar and I like the current white jersey much better

15. nooneimportant says:

They managed to combine the two worst things in soccer: 1) the US Soccer crest and 2) a collar.

16. Tyler says:

Free minivan with every purchase.

17. John says:

The collar sucks.

18. euroman says:

Golf anyone??? This is silly and nothing special, the boys and this country deserve much better.

19. Louis Z says:

Too English looking for my liking

20. Ryan says:

I’m seriously sick of this retro style they always try to do its ridiculous. Also white jerseys are dumb. Our uniform should be exactly what atletico Madrid wears.

21. Ian says:

Nothing beats Waldo, especially not this.

22. adam says:

They would be better if we could actually see the stripes. They should have made them a little darker

23. GJJ says:

Jesus, I hope not. It looks like something for sailing, polo or croquet. I will not be buying one. I’ve got a lot of US jerseys and would gladly wear any of them during the coming World Cup than wear this thing.

24. Wispy says:

I thought there might be a change to a lighter, royal blue rather than navy blue when I noticed the change to this shade of blue on the U.S. Soccer website re-design. I like the style — even the collar — but that crest is just awful. It think we’re stuck with it as long as Nike holds the apparel contract, though.

25. KJ says:

Ewww, horrible. No collars! Will they wear khaki shorts or slacks with these? Collars are the worst thing to ever happen to a SPORTS uniform.

26. Sergio of SF says:

I like it, but I would have preferred it with the centennial badge, looks much more classy with that.

27. bbstl says:

Wow. This straight up looks like what I would imagine a suburbanite sports parent would wear tucked into their jeans.

28. mike says:

Underwhelming. The women’s designers for their last cup. Now those kits were cool, well thought out and American to boot. I want more than the plain blah-blah (a technical term denoting boredom) I see here. But either way…Go USA!

29. bob the builder says:

This could work but with the centennial crest instead of this crest.

30. Free beer says:

That crest needs an upgrade– lhorrible

31. bryan says:

hate the collar.

32. Jonathan Bornstein says:

I hate it!

33. John says:

Might look better once you put a number on it

34. Davy Crockett says:

Like the collar, not sure about the blue (leaning to no), wish they would put a ball (stationary) and USA on the Centennial Crest (I like it the way it is, but for shirt sales, i’d rather people know I’m wearing a soccer shirt)

35. Umlaut says:

It looks too much like England’s kit for me. I wouldn’t mind something a little more catchy for the world cup.

• Andrew says:

Looks like a staff polo shirt to me.

But even if it’s the jersey, it could be worse. As in: it could be England’s actual kit. For one World Cup cycle, Adidas stuck England and the United Arab Emirates with kits that were literally identical in every way except for the crest.

36. Harvey Lee says:

I think they mean that this is the official shirt Klinsman and the staff will wear

37. RBNY says:

I like it, but they need to go back to using the centennial crest for good. The current crest looks like a middle schooler designed it.

38. Mike C says:

terrible. hope this isn’t for real. bring back the centennial crest. or at least just lose the phony stars above the crest.

39. MLSatlanta says:

I think we as fans need to assume some responsibility and let our voices be heard! This crest is god awful and it needs to go. Let’s get petitions going and flood US soccer with strongly worded emails telling them how stupid the crest is. Come on people we can do this!!!!!! Merica!!!!

• Scott says:

Just do like me. Never buy a USMNT with that horrid crest. I waited for the centennial crest and will wear it going forward. When their jerseys start sitting around for a while, they will start listening.

40. Arthur says:

I hope not. Lame. I would have liked to see a variation on the Centennial… And by the way: I know you couldn’t turn down the $, but Michael Bradley you SUCK for leaving a top 4 League at 26 years of age. No one will even buy you know because your contract is way too high!!

41. MLSatlanta says:

I found these “leaked” jerseys a couple month s back and like them a million times better than the awful one shown above. link to nesn.com

• Clevelandfc says:

Yes these. I like the blue no collar.

• Nathan says:

I don’t care for the solid blue for some reason. I can’t really put a finger on why though. Collars are for the dress shirts of NBA coaches and golfers. No collars on footy uniforms.

42. fischy says:

Perfect for my job at the country club.

43. Joel says:

USA soccer fans want the centennial crest. US soccer should listen to its customers. I’d buy a lot more merch with the centennial crest.

44. Fredo says:

No bueno.

45. Cabrito says:

No thanks. I’ll keep wearing the 2010 jersey. Looks like something Klinsmann should be wearing.

46. xBATTLECATx says:

I feared this would happen. Just like Brazil’s black jersey, ITS BORING! Yes, its a bit classy, but man what is up with Nike and the minimalist look? Theyre not even trying anymore.
    Just Collar shirt 20$
    Add Nike swoosh 60$
    Add USA crest 120$

47. People People says:

This Kit is for Coaches and Staff. Don’t have a Heart Attack.

48. Paco says:

Add some khakis and boat shoes and you are ready to valet park cars at the yacht club.

For the love of god, get rid of that terrible crest! Centennial crest. Please!

49. Ah says:

Yet another jersey released by U.S. Soccer without even a hint of denim. For shame… For shame.

50. Kingsly Alexander says:

ugly little s**t. definitely not buying it. wtf is wrong with the USSF? are they not aware everyone loved the centennial crest?

51. MisterJC says:

Very conservative. At least it doesn’t have the centennial crest. I just don’t like that badge at all. Keep the one we already have. Aside from that, the horizontal lines should be much more visible…

52. Alex H says:

Le looks like Nike put its A-1 design team on that one. I wonder how many brain storming sessions and focus groups it took to come up with the masterpiece that is this uniform.

53. Iggy says:

Dear USSF,
    Every national team reflects (should reflect) the colors in its flag. With that said, USA is the RED, WHITE and NAVYBLUE… The centennial crest is exactly that! The centennial has the colors right (stars over navy blue field, red and white stripes – the number of the thirteen colonies, by the way). This “modified” crest should disappear from our kits. Keep this crest (if youy want) as the logo for the letterhead in official communications or as the logo for the official website. But, please… BRING THE CENTENNIAL (with the golden trim) BACK!!

Sincerely,

ALL USA FANS

P.S. Remember to use All White for the home kit and Waldo (with NAVY shorts and socks) for the away kit

54. Sharkbait says:

So who’s joining me at the yacht club for brunch tomorrow?

55. Iggy says:

Dear USSF,

By the way… Try to find a football/soccer ball in any of the following crest from national teams: Argentina, Brasil, Chile, Portugal, France,England, Germany, Italy, etc, etc.

Let’s keep the ball in the back of the net of our opponents… Not in our crest!!

ALL THE USA FANS

56. chris_thebassplayer says:

Boring baby, this looks like an abomination from the old NASL days. Throw in the crap AYSO crest, and it’s a joke. I heard this jersey was a hoax.

Every single fan of the Nats wants the Centennial crest to be the permanent crest going forward… what’s so freaking hard for USSF to understand?

57. H-town says:

That crest is disgusting. I won’t buy another USMNT jersey with that thing on it, especially after the centennial crest.

58. Cairo says:

sorry but not classic… just boring. disappointed

59. Wichin says:

This design is so plain. Ives, how about an in depth story on the making on the US kit. Let’s be honest, Nike does not seem to have a very creative design department. With so many minds out there, they don’t seem to have a clue. It seems that all their money should be able to get them a clue. Someone please do a proper story on the construction and design of the USA kit.

60. Cool Hand Luke says:

That crest has become the Johnathan Bornstein of US kit accoutrement

61. Amanda C. says:

To US Soccer: “Oh, vintage. So adorable.”
    To everyone else: “That is the ugliest effing shirt I have ever seen.”

Slap any corporate logo on that hideous POS, wear some khakis, and it has “middle management” written all over it. Actually no.. slap any corporate logo on it because it’s the most embarrassing crest in the world and I would rather our team be the Microsoft National Team.

USSF has no in house graphic designers ( or they need to fire them because all their merch is fugly as all heck….) but I want to know where the crest came from. Was it made in the early 90s back when people used the default Windows paint program for everything? Did an 8th grade class do a contest?

They should have a design contest and offer a big reward, like tickets to the World Cup or something. I bet they’d get hundreds of awesome designs from professional graphic designers to choose from.. and far better than anything USSF can do. And it could get people excited about US Soccer and get a lot of attention. Fans would get to vote, blah blah blah

62. Matt Rasmussen says:

This would be fine as a polo to show support for the team but jerseys with collars look stupid. The only sports to allow collars on uniforms are golf and bowling. I will not buy one. Also, the centennial crest should have been adopted as the new crest since 90% of the fans don’t like the 90′s clip art style of this crest. Seriously, why don’t they revise it?

63. cotton says:

wow. much plain.
    very collar. channel 2002 yes.
    wow

64. smitty6000 says:

what an exciting design……. NOT

65. Brad C says:

Most jerseys look good, my decision to buy it will depend on how the replica jersey fits. The last several jerseys by NIKE have fit like burlap sacks, not fitted at all…

66. TimL says:

Oh I hope that’s just a polo and not the actual home jersey. You might as well just stitch a Three Lions crest on it. It doesn’t look classy or cool in any way. Maybe they’ll release a pair of Dry-Fit khaki shorts to go with this one.

67. Datskrayz says:

I like simplicity and subtle details but this is awful. Wtf Nike and USSF?

68. Marvin says:

Awesome crest awesome jersey. I love it. Now let’s smash on Germany.

69. the original jb says:

Hate hate the collar. Besides the look which is, I guess, debatable. The discomfort of wearing it in the fricking rainforest is NOT. Please tell me US Soccer is not so stupid as to send our boys down there with another self-imposed disadvantage.

70. solles says:

collar, no collar, meh. just get rid of that 80′s retread mullet wearing usa1 trans am driving crest. PLEASE.

71. AC says:

Centennial crest = awesome jersey. That cartoon crest = glorified polo yacht cup shirt

72. AC says:

Anyone up to start a petition to change the crest?

73. Norn Iron says:

I think the jersey is pretty nice, though like others here, I would have preferred that they had stuck with the centennial crest. I’m not sure why so many people hate this shirt so much. There are a lot worse jerseys out there.

74. Beans Hilton says:

Looks very much like Arsenal’s away kit (style-wise, not color obviously).
    I like them. Classy.

75. Ross says:

This has to be a strategic ploy by Nike to frighten US soccer fans into believing that this is the next jersey so they rush, in a panic, and buy up all the remaining inventory of centennial jerseys and then nike surprises us all with a completely different design in February.

But judging on the past 20 years of uniforms prob not. That crest will haunt us forever

76. Chris says:

Does anyone else love our crest?

77. Dave-O says:

Yuck. Really? The most inspired part of this jersey is the blue Nike swoosh, which is pretty friggin sad. I’m honestly really sad they seem to have abandoned the sash, as I thought that would be a ag great US brand identifier. I know other national teams have this too, but the US looked really sharp in those. I’ll never understand why they dropped the red jersey with the blue sash so quickly. Anyone know why those went away so fast?

78. Dave-O says:

Oh, and the US crest is frankly awful. Gulati must have had a hand in making this because I cannot for the life of me understand why this is not being permanently replaced by the centennial crest.

79. Josh says:

Looks like something England would wear. I’m more interested to see what they do with the Away Jerseys.

80. DC Josh says:

Looks like it was designed by Hollister.

81. Doug J says:

1. Way too “wanna be” England
    2. Looks like what the coaches would wear on the side line, not the players on the field.
    3. Cool polo shirt, poor choice for our National Team jersey
    4. With all the smart, creative people at Nike, this is all they could come up with!? Seriously? Get creative already! Adidas is killing Mike in their National Team Jersey designs. It pains me to say so, but the new Mexico jersey looks awesome. Nike, do you want to be outdone by Adidas and Mexico.
    5. I will not buy if this is the jersey.

82. Brandon says:

I like it but I would love if we kept the Centennial patch permanently

83. 21cgw says:

USA>>Les achats en ligne pour maillots de foot USA tiptop et polyvalent pour la nouvelle saison de football. Vous devriez être à l’aise avec une excellente qualité. Quand attend pour Football Coupe du Monde 2014,vous devez maillot USA.