Soccer Saturday: Your Running Commentary

AtleticoBarca (Getty Images)

By JUSTIN FERGUSON

A monumental clash in La Liga headlines this Soccer Saturday of action as first-place Barcelona visit second-place Atletico Madrid at the Estadio Vicente Calderon.

Atletico have posted nine wins in nine home matches this season, and they trail defending champions Barcelona on goal differential alone heading into Saturday’s clash in Madrid. The match promises to be a battle of two of the top offenses on the planet as La Liga Golden Boot leader Diego Costa squares off against the high-scoring Barcelona attack, which is expected to have both Lionel Messi and Neymar back in the lineup Saturday.

Before the highly anticipated matchup in Spain, soccer fans will get a full slate of English Premier League matches. After Chelsea’s trip to Hull City kicks things off from England, Sunderland will battle Fulham in an important match in the race to escape relegation — a matchup that could feature USMNT teammates Jozy Altidore and Clint Dempsey. The EPL action will wrap up at Old Trafford, where a banged-up Manchester United squad and manager David Moyes will try to end their three-match losing streak against Swansea City, a side that knocked the Red Devils out of the FA Cup exactly one week ago.

Later on in Mexico, Mexican powers Cruz Azul and Santos Laguna will face off in the second weekend of the Liga MX Clausura season. Due to fan violence, the two sides will play in front of an empty stadium tonight at the Estadio Azul. Another Mexican match to keep an eye on will be defending champions Club Leon’s home meeting with Atlas.

Enjoy the action. (Today’s TV schedule is after the jump):

4pm – Elche vs. Sevilla – beIN Sport en Español

6pm – Cruz Azul vs. Santos Laguna – Univision

6pm – Veracruz vs. Atlante – Univision Deportes

8pm – Tigres UANL vs. Pachuca – Univision Deportes

8pm – River Plate vs. Estudiantes – Fox Deportes

9pm – Club Léon vs. Atlas – Telemundo

This entry was posted in European Soccer, Featured, Mexican Soccer, Your Running Commentary. Bookmark the permalink.

260 Responses to Soccer Saturday: Your Running Commentary

1. Nate Dollars says:

no ariyibi for leeds this morning.

2. biff says:

@bryan, Gary Page: thanks for the comments on Club Tijuana-Club America game that you guys posted yesterday on the “This Weekend’s Soccer on TV” thread. Got me interested and I found a game story in San Diego paper. I hope the newspaper continues to write up Tijuana games.

link to utsandiego.com

I did not realize the ex Tijuana coach is now coach of America. And it appears both Corona and Castillo had good games and this increases my suspicions that Corona was relegated to the bench last autumn not because of bad form but some sort of a problem with the old coach. I am a huge Corona fan and I think he already is a much better attacker than Mikey-Cakes. He plays older than his age and is fearless and I thought last summer during the Gold Cup he had the look of a potential future captain of the USMNT. He displays leadership qualities on the field, but also, and more importantly, it seems his teammates feel at ease around him, like he is one of the guys, and I don’t think the same can be said for Michael Bradley.

In any case, if Corona plays for his club this spring and does well I would not be surprised to see Klinsmann take him to Brazil. Ditto with Castillo, who I think is as good technically on the ball as Fabian.

• cj says:

It is what makes me mad about both San Diego and MLS. San Diego has one of the few papers to cover soccer with a weekly section and coverage of the Xolos both in print and online. Heck, Darren Smith an afternoon host covers soccer news quite a bit or as much a sports talk show will, and is a Xolos season ticket holder. When the national team plays San Diego is always number one/two in ratings and consistently blows away most MLS cities. The Xolos have seen that and have both a spanish and english twitter feed (only mexico team to do it). Heck in July the game had little to no marketing and it still drew nearly 30k in a garbage stadium. If this city was not the worst at building anything the MLS
      would flurish here. Soccer is a beast here and we produce some quality talent Balboa, Wynalda, Dolo, Corona, Arriola, and Hall.

• biff says:

Until today I did not know that the San Diego newspaper covers Xolos games and was always frustrated by the lack of information because, as noted, I like the USMNT players who play for Tijauna.

• Gary Page says:

I think it would be great if Chivas were to move south and we’d have that San Diego–LA rivalry in soccer. That’s if Chivas were to get a decent team. Unfortunately there aren’t a lot of big money guys in San Diego and none who seem interested in soccer and the City government seems uninterested in adding any more sports teams.

• TomG says:

Not sure if you are confused, but you mention Xolos old manager being at America now and that the old manager didn’t play Corona. Mohamed, the current manager at America, is not the manager that benched Joe Benny. That was Jorge Almiron, who was fired after only one season.

Your MB hatred is really ridiculous. I understand that some people might not get the subtleties of his game. 98 percent passing, incredible calmness on the ball, and great distribution are not sexy, eye catching traits. The ability to win and keep possession in the heart of the midfield is where the game is often won and lost IMO, and MB and Reyna are the best we’ve ever had by far in that department. But I know that’s not something that’s noticed unless you’re really looking at the game closely, so whatever if many fans don’t appreciate how great he is. Heck, i was one ofmthe leaders of the MB is overrated bandwagon when he was with the Metrostars. I didnt get his game at all. It wasnt until he succeeded at Gladbach and i started watching him really closely with USMNT that i figured him out. To compare him to Corona or call him Mikeycakes is just being an unreasonable hater, though. you may not appreciate his game, but any reasonable human being can look at his resume and see he’s one of the greatest players we’ve ever had. He’s the first player we’ve ever had playing and succeeding in Serie A. He was a starter for Roma last season, one of the biggest and most prestigious clubs in the world. Outside of Deuce and Tim Howard, we’ve never been able to say that about any player who came up through the American system. that deserves respect.

• biff says:

yeah, TomG, I knew that the manager who benched Corona last autumn was not Mohamad, but did not know that Mohamad taken the America job. thanks.

• TomG says:

Figured you did, just wanted to clear it up for readers. Looks like Arriola also got in off the bench. No Greg Garza, though. I had hoped he’d be a regular starter by now.

• Vic says:

Michael Bradley is a very good player and deserved to be at a club of Roma’s quality. Bradley has world class workrate, he’s worldclass at intercepting/winning the ball, he’s also a pretty good scorer for a midfielder. That said, I think people overrate his passing ability. Bradley is very active linking up with the defenders however, the passes he makes I would say are average. You don’t see the players getting that much space on the ball after receiving one of Bradley’s passes. I wouldn’t never compare Bradley’s passing ability to Claudio Reyna’s.

• Kingsly Alexander says:

Well however disappointed I am in Bradleya move, I have to say I don’t think he deserves the title of “mikey cakes”.

I mean he did prove himself in Europe which is why Donovan originally got that tab isn’t it?

• GW says:

biff has a long term disdain for Mikey and his dad.
            biff’s MO is to take cheap shots at every opportunity.
            No one who has been on this site for a while should be surprised by biff’s comments..

• Big Red says:

I think Mikey Cakes is appropriate. There’s a false notion that Bradley is a good defender when in fact he’s a terrible defender. He rarely takes away the ball and is extremely soft. This has been probably his biggest criticism and why he lands himself on the bench with consistency. I think Americans are fooled by the bald head.

• Fredo says:

I don’t agree that Mikey (or LD) should be tagged with “cakes.” But, I also don’t think Mikey is a ball winner. He gets dispossessed when pressured more often than he wins balls. He’s good at ball movement. I agree that he’s not a great defender and that he doesn’t track runners through the midfield very well. I’ve stated all of this before here on these boards and gotten blasted. But, I’ll repeat it. He’s Jr. He’s good at ball rotation. But, he’s not Cakes.

• new albion says:

Vic.. I think this is a very good assessment. So will say that since he’s played with Roma I think his biggest improvement is an ability to sometimes unlock a defense. And I fear this will be the first thing he loses at TFC given that vision improves with reps at high speed of play.

• GW says:

Mr. albion,

You can’t unlock a defense if the guys you are passing to don’t make the proper runs.

And the guys who make those proper runs make the opportunity by knowing how to set up defenders for them.

It’s not all on Mikey, any more than it is all on a QB to complete a pass if his receivers are not good at running routes and/or getting open.

Mikey is no Pirlo but he could always pass the ball reasonably well. But the USMNT did not really have the players or the style to take advantage of that skill .

Under JK you are seeing a little more of that plus Mikey’s confidence grew in Italy and it has shown under JK.

The point being TFC will just have to develop its style and that will take a little time.

• TomG says:

I disagree. Claudio was neve a big assist guy. He was a deep lying midfielder, just like MB. They both have/had excellent touch on long balls, both great at carving out space for themselves, getting the ball and quickly moving it to the right player. If anything, with USMNT, MB is a bit more active in the attack than Claudio, IMO.

• new albion says:

mikey-cakes.. haha..

• AMPhibian says:

Where do you get that MB isn’t one of the guys, or a leader? As far as Corona goes, why you would try to compare him with Bradley is beyond me. Are you implying MB plays younger than his age, or filled with fear? They are clearly different types of players, playing different roles. The fact that you can even posit someone as a future USMNT captain so early, shows delusion, or bias, or both.

• GW says:

biff is a great believer in body languageand reading minds.
        For example, if a player scores and it does not seem to biff that everyone is going bonkers celebrating with him for example, then the only possible explanation for that is that his teammates dislike him.

• Gary Page says:

I should watch Xolos more as they are often on one of the Spanish language channels I get. Last night it was KAZA for those who can get it. Every time I watch Xolos they play a very entertaining brand of soccer– quick one touch passing, good technical skill and good movement off the ball. Also, re the San Diego coverage, their reporter who covers soccer, Mark Zeigler, is pretty well informed and though I find myself disagreeing with him fairly often, he is always a good read.

• go euro or go home says:

Bradley can control the tempo of a game unlike anyone else playing for the US. Corona is a nice player, but wow…

• ThatKidNandez says:

Corona is effective on the right or as a cam. He’s better than Zusi not.cakes. Corona has really good service and his cut ins are really good because he has the ability to dribble well. He also is very intelligent with the ball and has very good and shooting from outside the box

• Bitman says:

Any suggestion that Joe Corona or Castillo are on a par or superior to Bradley is ridiculous beyond comment. Enjoy your private world.

3. biff says:

Will add for USMNT fans who like to follow Tijuana, that the San Diego newspaper has a Xolos section at the link posted below. And if you click on the link, check out the story about the Xolos unveiling their new jerseys. There is a video that is hilarious. Gotta say, the Xolos know how to put on a good show.

San Diego Newspaper Xolos page
    link to utsandiego.com

4. AcidBurn says:

Jozys on the bench, Deuce in the starting lineup.

• Tim H. says:

Damn it. We need Jozy to be a part of the Starting XI… and soon.

• usaalltheway says:

But I thought the consensus was that Jozy wasn’t it trouble and that his poor performances of late weren’t going to harm his starting for the team?

Jeez…

• Kingsly Alexander says:

Right. No need to worry about Jozy. He’s too good on a crap team. No way he won’t play eventually, give it another half a season!

• away goals says:

Not sure what trend you guys are worried about. Would we even want jozy logging more minutes than he has over the past month?

Jan 11 – tbd
            Jan 7 – 20 min
            Jan 5 – 90 min
            Jan 1 – 25 min
            Dec 28 – 90 min
            Dec 26 – 5 min
            Dec 21 – 70 min
            Dec 17 – 120 min
            Dec 14 – 73 min

• Lorenzo says:

Listen, if you two don’t care for him, then stop focusing on him. Your like the 9 year old boy who says he doesn’t like a girl but continues to tease her. You can knock him all you want, but the sheer number of posts you write about him shows how infatuated you are with the player.

• usaalltheway says:

Looks like you are the one who is “like the 9 year old boy who says he doesn’t like a girl but continues to tease her.”

Don’t let what we write bother you. Learn to control yourself. It will help you greatly in your life and it’s affairs.

• Lorenzo says:

How would that fit me? I’ve posted one reply to you in… forever. Hardly me continuing to tease you. You on the other hand enjoy going on and on and on about Altidore every single week like a drama queen. Control myself? If someone is being really annoying on the train, I’m going to tell them shut up. You are being really annoying here. I’m telling you to shut up.

Nice try at reverse psychology on me. I love my job and family, and life is great right now. No insecurities for you to play off of.

• go euro or go home says:

you could at least respond to the post above that disproves your silly assertions about his playing time going down the drain. sure he will not be relied on at the moment like he was early in the year due to a goal scoring rut, but it is nowhere close to the crisis you have exaggerated it to be.

• Chris says:

I wouldn’t bother talking to usaalltheway he seems to have a lot of free time to troll around Ives’s comment sections spouting off his opinions (and only his) as fact.

Mom’s basement must be very comfortable.

• Tim H. says:

Well, given I rarely comment on this site, I’m not part of that consensus. Because this is alarming for the USMNT’s top striker. If you’re not receiving minutes with a bottom feeder like Sunderland, there are issues.

• TomG says:

It’s a good thing he’s getting minutes, then.

• Tim H. says:

Being a sub for Sunderland isn’t exactly “quality” minutes. Going into a World Cup cycle, the USMNT’s premier striker needs to be a regular starter receiving quality minutes. Not serving as a role player. If Jozy can’t break into the Starting XI of Sunderland, what does that say about him or his situation that is positive? Are you actually suggesting that being a sub for Sunderland is a good thing for Jozy?

• go euro or go home says:

he is not generally a sub. he is at the moment, but his minutes this season have been pretty heavy,

• TomG says:

How lazy are you? Away goals did all the work of posting Jozy’s minutes above. He’s getting plenty of minutes.

• Bitman says:

Try watching the them play before you sound off. They’re a mid-table team in terms of quality right now. Jozy is a regular contributor though he’s failed to bury the chances he’s had recently. His link-up play has been good. He drew a penalty today with a nice move in the box. He ran the CBs for ManU ragged when he entered the game last week. He’s not in the best form of his life but playing top competition and competing well. Nothing to worry about.

5. Not that FRANK says:

Xolos highlights
    Watch Castillo destroy his defender
    link to youtube.com

• biff says:

nice. Great victory for the Xolos. Did anyone see how Corona got hurt?

• KNPonder says:

I watched the match last night. Corona came down on a bad tackle that I believe resulted in a yellow. While he was able to limp to the sideline, it did not take long for the trainers to ask for the change.It is difficult to say, but it did not look good. Would not be surprised if he is out for several weeks – but that is just conjecture.

As others have noted, Corona and Castillo both had good games. Corona had one bad give away early but settled down. He was the CAM in a 4-3-1-2. He moved the ball well and showed skill on the ball. Had a really great moment where the shook two America defenders in the box and was alone on the keeper. He shot it (left foot if I recall), but it hit the post. Would have been a highlight reel goal for sure.

Castillo gave America fits down the left. Not sure if he got the assist on the goal as it was deflected out by an America defender, but he definitely was key in making it happen. Castillo also had a one-on-one with the keeper but it was saved. Probably should have done better, but the America keeper was good on his positioning all night. Castillo did have some defensive lapses in the second half after America made a switch on their right. Never lead to a goal, but some hairy moments . . . typical Castillo defending.

Gomez was his normal active self. He was constantly working to get into dangerous positions and it almost paid off twice, but that ball did not bounce his way. Arriola came in late and looked rusty. Overall, a pretty good night for the TIJ contingent with the exception of the Corona injury.

• Gary Page says:

My contrary opinion is that Corona should be okay. From what i saw on the replay, a defender rushing back to cover on a Corona run accidentally ran into him and gave him a full body blow, like a player in American football blocking someone down field. It looked like part of the contact was from the opponent’s knee hitting Corona’s thigh about mid way up and that was why Corona was limping off. We’ll see, but i suspect he was just woozy and will have some bruises and soreness for a few days.

6. Nate Dollars says:

ream starting.

packwood, holmes on bench.

lichaj out injured.

no gooch.

7. ark says:

Gooch’s contract with QPR ended. He chose not to re-up. He should try Turkey or return to Belgium

michael bradley should have stayed in Europe. Fought for his spot at ROMA or transfered to La Liga or Bundesliga

• timmytwoshoezzz says:

Michael Bradley can do as he wishes. He’s the last guy USMNT fans should worry about anyway

• Bean says:

That’s not how football works. You can’t just transfer anywhere you want. You need an offer from a club that makes sense.

• ark says:

several Bundesliga clubs and Valencia were interested in him recently. Bradley went for the $$$ instead of fighting it out. He always fought it out before.

we need Yanks leading the vanguard as our guys get better and better and provide evidence we can play the game amongst the best. Not disappear for $$$

+ A BILLION TIMES A BILLION

That is the reality that MLS sycophants don’t want to acknowledge.

He left for money. Period. End of story. No more discussion.

He started 70% of the time! When your fight against world-class players for your position on the team, you have to be better ALL THE TIME. It’s a business and they have to win.

He wanted a “home”. I can’t blame him for wanting that or the money but those on here claiming it’s anything other than that need to get their heads check or actually learn something about the game and sports in general.

• Lorenzo says:

I think there is an opportunity to be a star/hero/icon for his country’s league. I don’t think many 7-12 year olds are checking Ives’s American a roads rewind post.

No one can deny how absolutely important and iconic Landon Donovan has been for MLS. His name is easily etched in the history books forever in this league.

I see both sides, but let’s not pretend this is just a cash grab, or Bradley isn’t intelligent enough to see the opportunity to be a star in his home league.

• usaalltheway says:

How many people in the States watch MLS? How many of them know that Bradley made this move. I saw ZERO news of it outside of soccer websites.

The MLS will never, I repeat NEVER, get to the level it needs to be for young kids and the general population to take a move like Bradley’s seriously, or even know about it in the first place.

There aren’t always two sides to a story. That is a fallacy. He went for money and stability. Nothing wrong with either of those things Just stop pretending it was for other reason.

The facts speak for themselves.

• ronniet says:

I’m sure money aspect of it didn’t hurt but stability???? He was already making over a million with Roma so I’m sure stability wasn’t an issue!!! Until he comes out and says why he left Roma for TFC, what everyone thinks is pure SPECULATION!

• go euro or go home says:

maybe he went for stability and a chance to lead rather than going for the possibility of getting jerked around some more on another new team

• usaalltheway says:

I guess the number two team in Germany made an offer for Bradley.

It’s more than obvious at this point that his move was about money and his family. His career as a player, the USMNT and the reputation of Americans in Europe meant nothing to him.

It’s also clear that he didn’t want to stick it out. He started 70% of the time and was liked by the coach and the fans but felt he wasn’t wanted. I know he fought for it in other leagues but not on equally good teams, nor with world-class players. I really get the feeling he just didn’t want to fight for it anymore, which is terrible. At that level, you have to give 150% and always be better than the guy next to you. It’s a business first, and don’t you forget it.

He cashed out at his peak. He has lost much of my respect, but it matters not. The results will show up with the USMNT in Brazil and you will all eat crow for thinking that moving from a top 4 team, in a top 4 league, playing with world-class players, starting 70% of the time, living in one of the best cities in the world while making good money to Toronto, which has no talent, on the field or off of it, and has more ties and loses in it’s entire history than wins in a sub-par league.

You can’t ignore the facts despite your emotions. It had nothing to do with football.

• Eric Johnson says:

Go screw you blowhard. MB doesn’t give a sh** if he has some keyboard Hero’s respect. MB was good enough to play at Roma but wasn’t getting the time (wasn’t playing 70% of the time. Maybe 25%) and in a WC year it’s about getting on the field and fitness. To suggest he quit shows that you’ve never played at a competitive level and are just a pathetic fatso sitting behind a monitor.

• Kingsly Alexander says:

He went for the money! He could of seen time in leagues where he still could of grown as a player!

• usaalltheway says:

Just don’t tell the others…they get angry about it. ;)

• beachbum says:

don’t tell us about what smarty pants? That MB took the money? we all know that, and unless you re somehow independently wealthy you would have too. the cool thing is he was wanted by teams in the big euro leagues and he CHOSE to come home and take the money.

and you dis him for it! that’s funny :)

• CroCajun1003 says:

The greatest American international of all time, the leading scorer, assist leader, the man who made Ian Darke shout, “OH ITS INCREDIBLE”, played his entire career in the MLS.

As did Matt Besler.

As did Graham Zusi.

Eddie Johnson was a USMNT starter, went to Europe and lost his form. Came back to MLS and rekindled the flame.

Meanwhile, we’ve got guys like Josh Gatt and Sebastian Lletget who have spurned MLS and played their entire careers in Europe, testing themselves against the best in the world.

Different strokes for different folks. Europe is not a cure-all.

• usaalltheway says:

Just don’t tell the others…they get angry about it.

• GW says:

Mikey is a professional player. All these guys are. Messi and Ronaldo do not play for free. So to say he went for the money as if that was an insult is wide of the mark.

If Bradley had gone to the NASL or the USL (two minor leagues) for this contract then yeah, he went just for the money.

But he went to TFC where he is guaranteed playing time and will have a couple of months to try to maintain his form for the World Cup. And at this point in his career performing well in the World Cup seems to be more of a priority than performing well in the Champions League, where Roma are unlikely to make noise anyway.

In terms of Brazil, the best thing would have been for him to stay at Roma and play a lot. But it seems Mikey, who should know better than anyone, felt Roma had deemed him expendable Now unless Mikey is a lot stupider than I think he is, with Brazil coming up, he went into this season with Roma pushing to get as much PT as possible. Instead he gets hurt, sees his pt drop and sees Roma bring in more competition for his place. Now injuries always happen and new guys sometimes don’t work out but that has to be balanced against the evidence of the first half and the fact that Roma were willing to let him go.

The evidence is that Roma were very unlikely to give him what he needed in terms of PT for Brazil. I see it as a very close decision but one where only a complete idiot would have stayed.

Then there is the money. Apparently a guaranteed 6.5 million/year. Mikey makes about 1 million per now. He is 26 which is veteran years for him and he is not ever going to get a better offer. There are arguably better midfielders in the EPL who will make less.

I would argue his European dreams are not over. If he has a good World Cup he will make an impression. He is already very well thought off in Italy and I see him coming back to Serie A when he is 30 if he in good form. The Italians appreciate older players.

• GW says:

Mikey is a professional player. All these guys are. Messi and Ronaldo do not play for free. So to say “he went for the money” as if that was an insult is wide of the mark.
              In terms of Brazil, the best thing would have been for him to stay at Roma and play a lot. But Mikey, who should know better than anyone, felt that was not going to happen. Now unless Mikey is a lot stupider than I think he is, with Brazil coming up, went into this season with Roma pushing to get as much PT as possible. Instead he gets hurt, sees his PT drop and sees Roma bring in more competition for his place. Injuries always happen and new guys sometimes don’t work out but that has to be balanced against the evidence of the first half and the fact that Roma were willing to let him go.
              To an outsider, the evidence is that Roma were very unlikely to give Mikey the PT he needed to prep for Brazil. I see it as a very close decision but one where only a person of poor judgment would have stayed.
              His European dreams are not necessarily over. If he has a good World Cup he will make an impression. He is already very well thought off in Italy and I see him coming back to Serie A when he is 30 if he in good form. The Italians appreciate older players.

• CroCajun1003 says:

As did Matt Besler.

As did Graham Zusi.

Different strokes for different folks. Europe is not a cure-all.

• ark says:

Not to offend MLS or supporters, but we definitely “need” players in Europe. We need our best boys fighting for big clubs, fighting to get even 10mins there. You don’t play at a Roma or Spurs and expect it to be easy. There will always be competition. Roma and Spurs (last season) close to CL. That is a reason to stay and not leave even if it’s hard. Don’t run off to MLS for $6.5 million a year and say it’s a “fantastic move upward for the league”.

Bradley/Dempsey came home for the money. Yes MLS is a different league than 5 years ago but we’re still taking baby steps. If Messi/Ronaldo joined MLS for say 50 million a year, that would be a positive sign for the league but ultimately it’s just cause of the $$$$$$$

I wish both Bradley and Dempsey stayed in Europe. Join a new club. Our numbers need to be growing in Europe, not dwindling.

• go euro or go home says:

the “we must have our players fighting for minutes in Europe” idea is a myth.

some players will decide that they need to push themselves in Europe. some will decide that they need to pouch themselves in MLS. what is the difference between pushing yourself to get minutes and pushing yourself to be an all-star/team leader? the key is that they are challenged. the challenge of MLS is plenty for every player in world outside of the top 20 players or so.

• fischy says:

could of?

• Marcroi says:

Probably written in haste; KA meant could have seen or could’ve seen, although couldve’ve and could of sound the same.

• ronniet says:

And, so what’s your point?? Badley nor any other USMNT player aren’t living their lives to please the people that comment on this thread. Continuing to assume why he left Roma is doing you a disservice sir!

• usaalltheway says:

Love and light to you lost soul. You clearly have bigger problems that US soccer.

Remember: As soon as you let others affect your emotional state, you lose.

Looks like you lost. ;)

• EspinDOHla says:

“Remember: As soon as you let others affect your emotional state, you lose.”

I think you should heed your own advice usaalltheway.

In every thread you have been melting down about Bradley’s decision. His decision has obviously affected you.

• Eric Johnson says:

Aww poor baby hides behind cliches and a fake name while bashing players he just wishes he could live up to all while, let me guess, working at a job you hate knowing if you could have tried a bit harder you could have made it in your passion, so instead you trash people that were successful in the thing they love all to make you feel better. It is you my friend who has the issues. That’s why you post under a pseudonym, so no one will realize your true failures in life.

• fischy says:

And you won the internet game. Congrats. That doesn’t make you a good human.

• Nate Dollars says:

how’s the weather at goal-dot-com these days, mr. johnson? (nate dollars isn’t my real name, either.)

• wva97 says:

@ usaalltheway… Hahahahahahahahah.

• Gary Page says:

It has always been my belief that in a situation like this, unless you have lived his life or are intimately acquainted with it, you are in no position to judge his actions. How would you like to be second guessed by other people who have no idea what is going on in your life? I would have preferred for Bradley to stay in Europe and develop into a star, but it is not my life to live. He did nothing illegal, immoral, or unethical. I would guess it is a decision he gave a lot of thought to. He has secured his family’s future for basically forever by making this move and who can gainsay that?

• JB NYC says:

That was hilarious.

• away goals says:

usaalltheway, you realize you posted a four-paragraph, wildly speculative rant, then followed it up with “You can’t ignore the facts despite your emotions”?

That’s either inspired parody or- no, it can’t be anything else. Surely written in jest.

• Bitman says:

You’re seriously deluded. He was being squeezed out at Roma, and this is a WC year. Of course I’d rather see him at a top European side, but he’s going to make more than $6M/yr now, when he was earning $1M. That ends all talk.

He’s still young. He can go back to Europe in a couple of years while still in his prime if he wants.

• AcidBurn says:

Ask yourself, could you have turned down $40 million dollars guaranteed?
      Basically (unless you are Allen Iverson-like stupid with that cash) this means that you don’t have to worry about money for the rest of your life.

In addition, how many DMs, even on top teams, make 6.5 mil a year, unless they are DDR, Busquets, etc. and as much as we all love Bradley, very difficult for him to get those wages in Europe even if he kills it for the next few years.

• Big Red says:

I would find it hard to believe that Bradley had other offers besides clubs in Serie A. He couldn’t hack it in England or Germany so there was likely no way he was going back there and mentioning Spain is laughable. Maybe Scotland and the Netherlands are more like it.

• Bitman says:

Adding Bradley would improve just about any club in the world. There are 10 teams in England and Germany that would have taken him in the right situation.

8. ASA says:

I hope for a draw between Fulham and Sundeland. Jozy with the hat trick and Dempsey with the hat trick. A man can only wish.

9. alka246 says:

Hoping for a Fulham win with Dempsey getting the winner. I could care less about Sunderland if Jozy isn’t playing as they are a horrible team to watch. Fletcher will most likely lay another goose egg (yet the English fans and media will praise him as something special with his total of 3 goals).

Oh look, Adam Johnson running in circles and out of play again – he’s a fantastic player!!! He might even cross the ball once a game instead of shooting into the stands!!

Sunderland needs to be relegated for putting this garbage on the field.

• usaalltheway says:

Speaking of missing goal-scoring opportunities…he just missed one.

It wasn’t a “sitter” but he should have scored.

Now if it had been Jozy…jeez, I don’t even really want to go there.

10. shawn says:

oh look fletcher misses very easy header

11. Observer says:

Fletcher misses a sitter. Is he really better than Altidore?

• alka246 says:

No – he’s not. What has Fletcher every done really? Club level or international? How many world cups, euro championships? However, the team around you is what makes you “good” or not.

Unfortunately, Jozy and Fletcher both play on a bad team. Just wish Poyet would play them together and at least try to get some goals.

• away goals says:

Double digit goal totals three years running for fletcher. All while playing for teams that nobody would describe as good.

• TomG says:

+1. Fletcher is a really good player. Jozy is also a good player. It’s hard to score goals for Sunderland. They are improving, though. I think the chances will start to come.

• usaalltheway says:

It wasn’t a “sitter” but he most definitely should have scored.

Yet, the British announcers don’t attack him as a horrible player as they would Altidore.

He isn’t better than Jozy, just better at making something out of nothing and much, much better in the air. Apart from that, he is nowhere near Jozy’s level.

• alka246 says:

I will completely agree with you about Fletcher “making something out of nothing”. He is a bit more active in and around the box than Jozy

• Lu says:

You guys act like Jozy is a world class striker. He’s not meant to play in the best leagues. Shouldve stayed in Holland

• AcidBurn says:

Being American gets you double points on the British PL Announcer complaint scale. So Jozy gets called out twice as much by the PL announcers for missing the same shot as Fletcher.

• MidWest Ref says:

completely agree on EPL announcers being down on the yanks- Tim Howard makes a huge save and the announcers say he was well positioned and made more of it than he needed to; Joe Hart dives to his right and he is Lev Yashin returned

• Kingsly Alexander says:

It wasn’t a sitter. Are we talking about the header on the set piece. A “Sitter” is literally one that’s laid at your feet

• Observer says:

Calm down everyone. I simply refer to most attempts that SHOULD be in the back of the net “sitters.”

Sunderland is playing a lot better since their goal.

• alka246 says:

Kingsly, I have to disagree. Several weeks back there was a “sitter” that Jozy missed because it bounced up in front of him before reaching his foot as full speed and this place went crazy saying he should have scored it. To me that wasn’t even a sitter because of the dynamics of the ball movement. If we can blame Jozy, we can blame Fletcher for missing!!

: )

Alright

• usaalltheway says:

I agree with you, despite the terminology of it all.

Jozy should have scored and so should have Fletcher.

• Kingsly Alexander says:

We can judge him out of spite but that wasn’t a full blown chance on the level of Jozy’s misses. And really I wanna point to Double digits post; 3 seasons of double digit scoring on relegation fighting teams for Fletcher. He’s going to have the full confidence of the manager regardless of how we measure the two up because of his credentials and for whatever reason, Sunderland has played better with him out there the last few games

12. shawn says:

god damn canadian dempsey had an open goal

13. Observer says:

Dempsey is making good runs and passes.

14. Observer says:

Great goal for Johnson and Sunderland!

15. away goals says:

Excited to follow the over-analysis on dempsey this week instead of altidore.

16. Observer says:

Dempsey blasts one into the back of the net, but a foul is called.

17. Kingsly Alexander says:

Taarabt isn’t really having the best of games today IMO. A lot of weird decisions

18. alka246 says:

Heck of a goal from Johnson actually – now the British Press will be calling for him to go to the World Cup. I look at Johnson as the exact problem with the English National Team. I think he played for Boro and was transferred to Man City where he rotted away. Sort of like Scott Sinclair who played brilliant for Swansea and is now loaned to West Brom by way of Man City.

Maybe a team like Sunderland should just buy all the rotting away on the bench English talent from the top 4 sides and make a mini national team.

Just rambling incoherently

• shawn says:

the problem is 80% of your players are overrated including rooney

• alka246 says:

Completley agree with english players being overrated. Hence my johnson to the wc comment. I view England as the same level of the usa really

19. Observer says:

Sunderland! Ki!

20. shawn says:

lol fulham sucks

21. Kingsly Alexander says:

S**t. Wow. Jozy is gonna be buried on that bench

#AltidoreToMLS

HAHAHAH

Given the money they throw at players, he might very well do it.

There were those on here writing how his poor performances weren’t going to affect his positions…and now what? He isn’t starting. Seems like they were wrong.

• Kingsly Alexander says:

Exactly. Ppl hated on me for claiming he would be sat in October if he kept messing up and I was labeled a Jozy hater. Lol, no it’s just obvious to me that they would turn to Fletcher over Altidore if isn’t going to score.

And to hell with really. I mean if ppl are going to make the argument that Bradley has learned “as much as he can in Europe” (bull s**t), well then the same can be said for Jozy. Bring him to MLS and have him get some playing time and be fit.

Thank you sir!

Looks like the posters with a sense of the game are back!

You should have seen the comments the other day. Totally clueless fools writing about how Bradley going to Toronto from Roma was A GOOD THING and that Jozy wasn’t going to get himself stuck on the bench.

Jozy is in MAJOR trouble. Bradley is going to get worse, not better in the MLS and the USMNT is going to suffer for it. I kind of hope, in my heart of hearts, that JK punishes him for the move. Call him up but sit him for Mix and Sacha in the middle. JK did call for players stepping up their games. In other words going to Europe, not the other way around!

I can’t wait for those on here to eat crow. Big, fat, black, disgusting crow IN THE FACE!!

• Gary Page says:

It sounds like you would prefer to see MB punished and do poorly just so you can feel vindicated. You certainly don’t live up to your screen name and should be ashamed of your comments. When I disagree with something in such a situation, I will make a prediction and then say I hope I am proven wrong. You are showing yourself to be rather petty and small minded.

• go euro or go home says:

not to mention, when you declared that jozy would lose all of his playing time weeks ago, you were dead wrong. the crow is all yours. this was the first game where he was rested and did not start. now, we will see if he can get his spot back over the next couple of weeks. go root for mexico

• beachbum says:

you hope hat JK punishes him…message received lover

• beachbum says:

so much drama. it’s always the “I told you so” posters, the ones who come here for that. they distort and exaggerate, then say ‘I told you so”

People understand Bradley’s move. Only the dense cannot.

the guys eating crow are the ones who said Jozy was done months ago in October and post the same thing 50 times here every weekend, like your player Kingsly (just his latest name), although just today Jozy was in the middle of two goals for Sunderland in 25 minutes of game (no comment from him on that cuz he cannot say ‘I told you so’)

and for some reason this success today elicits your disdain? whatever

• GW says:

usalltheway,

I don’t know what your experience is but crows are rarely fat, are a mixture of purple and black and are far from disgusting. They are actually quite intelligent.

“I kind of hope, in my heart of hearts, that JK punishes him for the move. Call him up but sit him for Mix and Sacha in the middle.”

That would be hypocritical, not to mention stupid, of JK. He has said that it is important for his guys to be playing regularly at this point. JK should be mad at Edu or Parkhurst who don’t seem to be doing much to engineer a move to get PT when it seems clear it is not happening where they are. I tell you what though, if JK thinks BB can’t cut it, he won’t pull some immature stunt. He’ll simply not call him in.
            JK is no fool and he can see that Mikey is now MB20-30 not MB90. So while playing regularly for Roma would be the best it is clear that isn’t likely to happen.

JK has the January camp to bring BB in and run him through his paces. If he isn’t up to it then he can drop him. A fit MB90 in good form would be great but if he is now MB 20 then the USMNT will be forced to step it up so it’s good that the USMNT have time to work up Mikey’s replacement.

Either way at least JK has time to address this if it is a problem. And Mikey should certainly have a fire lit under him to prove all you f===ers wrong, as he would put it.

• Bitman says:

Jozy plays in every game, and has been a big contributor of late. You sound foolish.

• John says:

Did Fletcher score both goals?

• Kingsly Alexander says:

He might of well have. Don’t mess with what works. Their winning when he’s out their with him. He’s a vet brings confidence to everyone else and the confidence of the team because he doesn’t have any self doubt You don’t see John O’Shea barking orders at him. In fact they converse with him on decisions frequently

22. Bean says:

Looks like Sunderland doesn’t need Jozy today. Fulham looking woeful. 2-0 Black Cats

23. biff says:

Wow. Sunderland looking excellent. This team is not going to go down, I can see a mid-table finish. Fulham playing like a bunch of thugs.

24. shawn says:

i havent seen dempsey play in a while, but this reminds me how much he is vital to are world cup hopes

25. byrdman says:

Is it just me or is Taarabt absolutely horrible. He’s like a high school kid driving the lane with out any control or understanding of the game. Horrible! I think Dempsey wants to bury him.

26. shawn says:

fulham needed bradley bad, he wouldve been vital for them

27. Madden's Chin says:

Every goal scored moves Jozy a seat further down the bench.

• shawn says:

how? lol borini or fletcher hasnt scored

• Madden's Chin says:

Why would the coach remove players from a squad that is playing well and that he rates above the players he would put in?

• shawn says:

so if fletcher played for real madrid and did absolutely nothing yet they win, you think he would still play him instead of benzema?

• Madden's Chin says:

Is Sunderland the same team as Real Madrid? Does Sunderland have the same resources as Real Madrid? Is Jozy scoring more than Fletcher?

You have your answer.

• ronniet says:

Am I missing something or didn’t Jozy just start a game last week? People need relax. Squad rotations are common in all leagues, so for the Jozy haters to continue to diminish his standing and chances with the team is laughable! I guess you can continue to speculate, because that’s really all it is!

• Madden's Chin says:

That was a low cup game–and they didn’t even let him start the other cup game against United.

Jozy’s been benched for league games.

• go euro or go home says:

this is the first league game where he has been ready for 90 minutes that he has been benched. you are one hell of an over-reactor. it gets really tiresome

• usaalltheway says:

Just don’t tell the others on here.

They think Jozy is on the bench because he needs the rest.

• Kingsly Alexander says:

Lol at ppl trying to make analogies between Sunderland and Real Madrid.

I know, right!!!

Too funny!! :D

• Nate Dollars says:

lol at people not understanding differences of degree, and not kind.

you’re probably one of those commenters who respond to comparisons of player roles by saying, ‘omg alonso is so much better than bradley’.

• Kingsly Alexander says:

The difference of the degree of the two teams is what’s so funny

I really don’t understand the rest of your comment

• usaalltheway says:

Usually I agree with you Nate Dollars but this comment is a puzzler.

The comparison was silly.

• Nate Dollars says:

yeah, i should’ve thought that one out more.

my point was that how good a given team is shouldn’t have anything to do with madden chin’s comment.

if he’s going to propose a general statement of how a coach makes decisions, it should work the same for dc united, sunderland, madrid, or river plate.

which led to my ‘alonso’ statement: you can relate two players of greatly differing ability due to the fact that they play the same position. anyone who balks at the difference in ability doesn’t get the point of the analogy.

• Bitman says:

Still think so?

28. byrdman says:

On the other side, Fletcher hasn’t done anything to contribute to the play as far as I can see. Maybe he making some runs I can’t see, but really its been two week foul calls that lead to nice set pieces. Johnson’s shot was nice, and a good pass to key. But he hasn’t really done much in the run of play. But the announcers talk as if he is the English Ronaldo.

29. ASA says:

Rumors are of Xavi to NYRB. Henry is trying to lure him there.

30. Observer says:

Goal Fulham!

31. shawn says:

why does someone score every time i change the tab?

32. usaalltheway says:

Does anyone know how common it is to score from set pieces? 50 percent? 30 percent?

2-1 now. Looks like Sunderland isn’t out of the clear yet. Hopefully Deuce can get a goal. :D

• Kingsly Alexander says:

Yeah. If this Dempsey’s last hurrah for Fulham and he does well, ima have to get me a fulham Dempsey kit

• usaalltheway says:

I wanted to get a Bradley kit from Roma. Their kits are beautiful. Now, not anymore.

Let’s hope Dempsey does well!!

• Kingsly Alexander says:

Yeah me too. The ones without the sponsor. Thought that was cool

• usaalltheway says:

Oh yeah, I forgot; that was one of the best reasons to get the Roma kit. None of the ads on the shirts. I hate being a walking billboard for some business.

33. Kingsly Alexander says:

Well I tell you what. Dempsey’s gonna get fit REAL quick playing on the flank.

34. Observer says:

New Toronto FC player, Defoe, is coming on to the pitch.

35. Bean says:

This is ugly football. The style is not my favorite. Cross, after cross knocked away, and nobody has the creativity to attack the goal. They are just going over the top.

36. Karl says:

Dempsey misses a sitter

37. Kingsly Alexander says:

JOZy!!

38. Sandtrout says:

Not sure if anyone else has said this, but Sunderland could be playing Fletcher to put him on display for sale. Lots of talk about him being sold, and Jozy seems to be more of the manager’s style of forward.

39. shawn says:

altidore in followed by snarky comment by announcer

40. usaalltheway says:

Here comes Jozy!!!

41. ASA says:

Jozy on for Sundeland.

42. biff says:

That was Jozy’s excellent one-touch pass in the build-up that made that goal possible.

43. Bean says:

Jozy with a key pass to get the play going. Great counter.

44. SBI TroII says:

Jozy has already done more than Fletcher, as his and Ki’s build up leads to Johnson’s goal.

• AcidBurn says:

Jozy was open for a tap in but Johnson elected to shoot instead. Otherwise we could have seen another missed sitter.

45. Kingsly Alexander says:

Ki and Johnson before ppl start talking about hockey assists.

Sunderland have been countering dangerously all night tbh

46. TomG says:

Jozy in on the Sunderland goal with a nice give and go to spring KI. He’s quite good at those little combination plays.

47. TomG says:

Ugly flop by Jozy there. He should never dive. He’s just not good at it.

48. ASA says:

Jozy with a great one-two with Ki that leads to an Adam Johnson goal.

49. ASA says:

Jermain Defoe with a goal for Tottenham.

50. TomG says:

Seems like a slippery pitch today.

51. Kingsly Alexander says:

OMG! Jozy standing around in the middle of the box not even trying to get open, while Ki is dispossessed

• beachbum says:

OMG Jozy on for 25 minutes and draws a penalty and plays generally well. Where’s your comments on that sage one?

• TomG says:

Kingsley, you ARE a hater. You need to own it. You grossly exaggerate anything that might reflect poorly on him and when he contributes to goals and plays well, you find some twisted way to minimize his impact. You need to look in the mirror and own it.

• CroCajun1003 says:

Yup. It’s disappointing.

Objectively, neither Fletcher nor Altidore were particularly effective today.

Fletcher can win more headers, Jozy seems to move the ball better.

Neither seem a huge threat to score. Jozy still seems unconfident shooting. Fletcher is getting the nod starting EPL games right now. I’m not mad at that. Jozy is getting his chance in Cup games.

Saying Jozy is getting “benched” or that Fletcher is burring him on the roster is a bit harsh. Poyet is waiting for one of them to establish themselves as the starter. Don’t think either are playing to their potential right now.

• TomG says:

Poyet seems to be rotating them pretty evenly. I cant be too upset if Fletcher gets a slight edge. He was a 12M pound transfer, after all, nearly twice Jozy’s fee. He also has a very good track record of scoring in the BPL, something Jozy doesn’t have yet. I disagree about today, though. Jozy had his hand in 2 goals in 28 minutes, fletcher did nothing in 65. Jozy was much more effective today.

52. EvertonBrian says:

How has Clint played? Anyone?

• Bean says:

Forgettable performance. I thought that he didn’t show anything, positive, or negative. No impact whatsoever besides a good strike early.

• Rocco says:

Decent return showing promise. Maintained good possession and distribution. Had a goal disallowed for good cause. Had one decent opportunity go over the bar, one weakly taken shot that Berba should have followed into the net. Not a bad first EPL return after a long layoff.

53. AMPhibian says:

Demps subbed off for Bent in the 79′

54. Kingsly Alexander says:

Good applause for Dempsey coming off.

55. SBI TroII says:

Jozy earns a penalty!

• SBI TroII says:

Johnson takes it and makes it for the hat trick

• AcidBurn says:

Would have been interesting to see if S’land was up 3-1 and Johnson didn’t have a chance for a hat trick, maybe Poyet would have let Jozy take the penalty to get him going. But you have to give the ball to Johnson if he can make it for the trick.

• TomG says:

Nice step overs by Jozy, forcing the penalty. A bit of a clumsy fall to the turf to exaggerate the contact but no argument about the call. I just wish he’d taken the kick.

• Gary Page says:

I think that a rule change they should make is that the player getting the penalty is the one who has to take the penalty kick; like a basketball player getting fouled and taking the foul shots. I think it would be both more interesting and more just. In this case it was understandable that they wanted Johnson to get the hat trick.

• Nate Dollars says:

i really like that idea.

• TomG says:

Agreed. That would be cool.

• GW says:

Your proposed change:

• Gives defenders an incentive to hurt attackers so badly that they cannot make the penalty
          • Not every player, see Dempsey, Clint, is comfortable taking penalties. Think of the Shaq attack and how teams fouled Shaq constantly because he could not make free throws.

Leaving the rule as it is allows the advantage to remain with the injured party.

56. shawn says:

lmao altidore

57. Bryan says:

This fulham radio guy called Dempsey not up to speed and looking like a shadow of his former self. Then hen jozy drew the penalty he was disgusted, saying that our boy wasn’t even a half decent striker…. and he’s ‘not even good to be honest’ yeesh

58. Bean says:

This Sunderland team is not going down. Poyet has done well to right the ship. Fulham on the other hand are going to play in the 2nd division.

59. chris says:

So was Jozy’s penalty call legit?

• beachbum says:

• TomG says:

Good call. Really nice 30 minutes from Jozy. Much more impactful than fletcher with a forced penalty and a hockey assist.

• malkin says:

Yes, Jozy went down pretty easily as he slipped a little bit on his last cut. However, he beat the defender and it was a clumsy challenge. If defender wasn’t there, Jozy may have gotten a shot off. I’m sure he would have blown said shot because he was recovering from a slip, but in the end I do think he had the defender beat (although there were two more right behind him).

• Nate Dollars says:

yeah, the defending was pretty poor; think he must’ve been off-balance to stick his foot up that high. good play by jozy.

• John says:

He made alot out of it but it was still a clear PK

60. brad says:

Defoe comes on to a rousing reception from Spurs fans and puts one in the back of the net for a 2-0 win – TFC fans must be happy and there are a number of Spurs fans wondering why Defoe hasn’t been playing – i think it’s around 10 goals for him so far this year – i’d say with Bradley, DeRO, Gilberto and Defoe TFC will be scoring some goals that were lacking last year….

61. EvertonBrian says:

As an athlete/good teammate, does it ever go through Adam Johnson’s head that “I’ll let Jozy take this PK. He earned it. He’s struggling to get on the scoresheet. We’re already up 3-1. Maybe it’ll benefit the TEAM in the long run in our fight to stay up.”

I realize he was sitting on a brace and wanted his hat trick, but I think a good teammate would’ve deferred to Jozy.

But this is coming from an overly sensitive fan who appreciates humility more than most. There is nothing that gives me more satisfaction than a guy scoring a goal, grabbing the assist man, and pointing at said assist man and encouraging the crowd to give him the plaudits..

Just my two cents…

• CroCajun1003 says:

Same could be said for Johnson. On paper, Johnson should be Sunderland’s best attacking player. He has been very poor so far this season. In the last few performances he seems to be coming into form.

Remember, an in form Adam Johnson was a starter for Man City and an English International.

From Poyet’s standpoint, a confident Johnson is massive for Sunderland.

• Chicago Josh says:

I’m superstitious. Whomever draws the penalty should never take it. They “always” miss.

62. TomG says:

Barca Athletico with as good a 0-0 draw as you will ever see.

63. John says:

Got to say the Premier league relegation fight should be interesting with just 4 points separating 13th and last place, right now.

64. Shaggie96 says:

Watching part of the Cruz Azul – Santos game and it doesn’t look like there’s a single fan. Is there some kind of penalty in place for this game or is this normal?

65. Not that FRANK says:

yeah. Two games because of this.
    link to youtube.com