By FRANCO PANIZO
If Danny Williams can keep this going, making the U.S. Men’s National Team’s 2014 World Cup roster will become a serious possibility.
Williams was one of the few bright spots in a rough weekend for the Americans Abroad contingent, helping Reading pick up a 1-0 victory over Huddersfield Town on Saturday. The midfielder earned his fourth straight start for the club and went the distance for the fifth-placed Royals despite picking up a yellow card late in the first half. Fellow American Duane Holmes also saw time in match, coming off the bench and playing the final 17 minutes for Huddersfield Town.
Tim Howard was among the other few bright spots. Howard helped Everton extend their current impressive unbeaten streak to nine games, as he made two saves in a 4-1 triumph over Fulham at Goodison Park on Saturday. Howard and the Toffees have not lost a league match since Oct. 5.
There was plenty of bad news, however, including John Brooks being removed after 38 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 3-2 victory vs. Werder Bremen on Friday. Brooks started the match but was removed for tactical reasons after Bremen scored twice during his time on the field. Afterwards, Hertha manager Jos Luhukay had some harsh and critical words about the 20-year-old centerback’s performance.
Here is how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Everton’s 4-1 win vs. Fulham on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore started and played 73 minutes in Sunderland’s 0-0 draw vs. West Ham United on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron started and played 90 minutes in Stoke City’s 0-0 draw vs. Hull City on Saturday.
- Brek Shea did not dress for Stoke City.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Aston Villa’s 3-0 loss vs. Manchester United on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham Hotspur’s 5-0 loss vs. Liverpool on Sunday.
- Cody Cropper dressed but did not play in Southampton’s 1-1 draw vs. Newcastle United on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in Birmingham City’s 2-0 win vs. AFC Bournemouth on Saturday. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 3-2 loss vs. Wigan Athletic on Sunday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Derby County’s 2-0 win vs. Charlton Athletic on Saturday. He is recovering from a calf injury.
- Eric Lichaj dressed but did not play in Nottingham Forest’s 0-0 draw vs. Ipswich Town on Saturday.
- Danny Williams started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Reading’s 1-0 win vs. Huddersfield Town on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Queens Park Rangers’ 2-0 win vs. Blackpool on Saturday.
- Duane Holmes came off the bench and played 17 minutes in Huddersfield Town’s 1-0 loss vs. Reading on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley and AS Roma play AC Milan on Monday.
- Fabian Johnson came off the bench and played 19 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 2-2 draw vs. Borussia Dortmund on Saturday.
- Joe Gyau did not dress for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg’s 3-3 draw vs. Hannover 96 on Saturday.
- Michael Parkhurst did not dress in FC Augsburg’s 4-1 win vs. TSV Eintracht Braunschweig on Saturday.
- Jermaine Jones came off the bench and played 32 minutes in Schalke 04′s 2-0 win vs. SC Freiburg on Sunday.
- Steve Cherundolo dressed but did not play in Hannover 96′s 3-3 draw vs. FC Nurnberg on Saturday.
- John Brooks started and played 38 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 3-2 win vs. Werder Bremen on Friday.
- Alfredo Morales started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Ingolstadt 04′s 0-0 draw vs. FC Erzgebirge Aue on Sunday.
- Andrew Wooten did not dress in Kaiserslautern’s 1-0 loss vs. SC Paderborn 07 on Friday.
- Bobby Wood and TSV 1860 Munich play St Pauli on Monday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 75 minutes in FC Nantes’ 2-1 loss vs. Toulouse on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson started and played 90 minutes in AZ Alkmaar’s 2-0 loss vs. SC Heracles Almelo on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan did not dress in RSC Anderlecht’s 2-1 win vs. KAA Gent on Sunday.
- Terrence Boyd came off the bench and played 17 minutes in Rapid Vienna’s 0-0 draw vs. FC Magna Wr. Neustadt on Sunday.
What do you think of these performances? Do you see Williams making a serious push to get onto next summer’s World Cup squad? Concerned with Brooks’ performance and the critical words of Luhukay?
Share your thoughts below.