Tuesday Kickoff: Falcao denies January departure, Moyes receives backing, and more

RadamelFalcaoASMonaco3 (EFE)

By DAN KARELL

Since his move from Atletico Madrid to AS Monaco this summer, Radamel Falcao has continued his sky-high goal scoring rate, which has generated plenty of rumors over his future.

With seven goals in eight games, the Colombian striker leads the scoring charts in Ligue 1, but even though the French league is considered to be below the likes of England, Italy, Germany, and Spain, Falcao told Spanish publication Marca on Tuesday that he’s happy at Monaco and has no thoughts of leaving the club in January, though anything after that is up in the air.

“I don’t intend to (leave),” Falcao said. “I’m happy at Monaco and that’s where I want to play. I don’t know what the future holds for me.”

Falcao also denied that there were any advances from Real Madrid over the summer, saying that in any case “I decided to stay away from all that and I didn’t hear anything.” Falcao was rumored to be a target of many teams over the summer including Real, Chelsea, Manchester City, and even his new rivals, Paris Saint-Germain. He moved to AS Monaco this summer for a fee of €60 million.

Here are some more stories to start your Tuesday:

MOYES TO BE BACKED IN NEXT TRANSFER WINDOW

After the recent summer transfer window debacle, Manchester United manager David Moyes has received the backing of the Glazer family to make changes in January.

Having only signed Marouane Fellaini on the final day of the transfer window, Moyes will reportedly have upwards of £50 million ($81.1 million) to spend on new recruits to bring to Old Trafford. That amount of money should be enough to sign two of the Man United targets that they failed to sign in the summer, Athletic Bilbao’s Ander Herrera and Everton’s Leighton Baines.

Moyes has had a surprisingly poor start to his Man United Premier League career, with the club sitting in 12th place in the table with a record of two wins, one draw, and three losses.

GARCIA EXPANDING WORLD CUP INVESTIGATION

U.S. attorney Michael Garcia is set to travel to every bidding nation for the 2018/2022 World Cups in an attempt to gather more evidence for his FIFA investigation.

According to a report from France Football, Garcia will begin his world tour in England, where he’ll speak to the FA about claims of corruption within FIFA and voting for the World Cup. Garcia is expected to present the results of his investigation to FIFA in March or April.

Aside from Russia and Qatar, other bidding nations included a combined bid from Belgium and the Netherlands, a combined bid from Spain and Portugal, South Korea, Japan, Australia, and the USA.

Last month, FIFA President Sepp Blatter admitted that political influences affected the vote for the World Cup in 2022, which unexpectedly went to Qatar. FIFA’s Executive Committee, which will meet this weekend in Zurich, are set to debate whether the 2022 World Cup should move to the winter from the summer after all but conceding that it’s too hot to hold the tournament in the Gulf nation.

QUICK KICKS

Galatasaray have confirmed the appointment of former Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini on a three-year contract. (REPORT)

With the recent thigh injury to Lionel Messi, Argentina National Team head coach Alejandro Sabella has replaced Messi with Inter Milan’s young forward Mauro Icardi. (REPORT)

The Italian courts have announced that the Curva Sud at the San Siro won’t be closed for AC Milan’s next home game against Udinese on October 19, allowing the Ultras to attend the match. (REPORT)

Colombian wing back Camilo Zuñiga has signed a four-year contract extension with Napoli. (REPORT)

Former Queens Park Rangers midfielder Stephane Mbia has been ruled out one month with a knee injury, which will keep him out of Cameroon’s first-leg tie against Tunisia in African World Cup qualifiers. (REPORT)

Former England manager Steve McClaren has been appointed as the next manager of Derby County in the English Championship. (REPORT)

———-

What do you think of these reports? Impressed with Falcao’s start at Monaco? Do you see Moyes making new bids for Herrera and Baines in January? Happy to see Garcia continuing his investigation?

Share your thoughts below.

This entry was posted in European Soccer, Featured. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Tuesday Kickoff: Falcao denies January departure, Moyes receives backing, and more

  1. DC Josh says:

    Really interested to see what comes of the FIFA investigation. Obviously the Ex. Co. admitted they made a mistake giving Qatar the world cup and now they are scrambling to cover up their faults. Ironcially, as thick as Sepp Blatter is, he voted for USA over Qatar and has no power over the Ex. Co. decisions as he is a member himself.

    I personally think it’s irresponsible to require a small nation like Qatar to spend billions of dollars for a month long tournament. If FIFA want to spread soccer throughout the world and help develop third-rate countries, then they can donate some of the cash they are bathing in. Brazil is struggling with the world cup, and I can only imagine what Qatar will go through as 2022 edges closer.

    • Travis says:

      FIFA isnt requiring Qatar to spend billions. Qatar decided to bid on a summer tournament knowing full well all that is required for the WC and that includes stadiums. They made promises and now they get to try and keep them (so excited for those artificial floating clouds).

      Also FIFA hasn’t admitted it was a mistake really, they’ve just said the WC will need to be moved which was probably their plan all along.

    • RB says:

      Anyone else thinking that hiring an American attorney to head this investigation works well for FIFA, since it gives them more wiggle room to write off any negative findings that may come out of it?

      • Coke says:

        Why? Because American atorneys are known to be dishonest?
        You watch too much Breaking Bad

        • RB says:

          Well I’ve never watched an episode of Breaking Bad. And it’s not a comment on American attorneys. Rather it’s an acknowledgement of the situation of Americans in the eyes of the very European-based soccer world, in general, and a recognition of the simple fact that the US was a rival for these WCs and was obviously very disappointed when getting neither one of them, more specifically.

  2. Kevin_H says:

    What about having the World Cup games at night?

    It’s a crazy idea, but so is having a World Cup in Qatar. And in the winter.