By FRANCO PANIZO
U.S. Men’s National Teams fans’ bragging rights over their Mexican counterparts just keep getting better and better.
On the same week that the U.S. saved Mexico from World Cup qualification elimination by rallying to beat Panama, Alejandro Bedoya scored his first goal for FC Nantes by taking advantage of an awful mistake by Mexican goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa and cooly slotting a shot home. Bedoya’s 87th-minute strike came six minutes after the U.S. midfielder came off the bench and it served as a late winner for Nantes in a 1-0 victory over AC Ajaccio on Saturday.
Aron Johannsson did not score on a Mexican, but he enjoyed quite a performance as well. Johannsson, who opened his U.S. scoring account with the winner against Panama this past Tuesday, continued his fine form by scoring twice (the second was a beauty) and assisting on another goal in AZ Alkmaar’s 3-1 triumph over Cambuur Leeuwarden on Sunday. Johannsson now has seven goals in league play this season and 12 across all competitions.
Terrence Boyd also found the back of the net. Boyd completed Rapid Vienna’s comeback in a 2-2 draw with SK Sturm Graz on Sunday as he converted the slumping Green-Whites’ second second-half penalty kick in the 64th minute. The goal raises Boyd’s scoring total to six in the Austrian Bundesliga and seven in all competitions this season.
Here is how the Americans Abroad fared this weekend:
- Tim Howard started and played 90 minutes in Everton’s 2-1 win vs. Hull City on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore came off the bench and played eight minutes in Sunderland’s 4-0 loss vs. Swansea City on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron did not dress in Stoke City’s 0-0 draw vs. West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu did not dress for Stoke City.
- Brek Shea did not dress for Stoke City.
- Brad Guzan started, played 90 minutes and made four saves in Aston Villa’s 2-0 loss vs. Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham Hotspur’s 2-0 win vs. Aston Villa on Sunday.
- Jonathan Spector did not dress in Birmingham City’s 4-0 loss vs. Leeds United on Saturday. He is recovering from a thigh injury.
- Tim Ream started and played 90 minutes in Bolton Wanderers’ 1-1 draw vs. Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Zak Whitbread started and played 33 minutes in Derby County’s 3-2 win vs. Watford on Saturday.
- Eric Lichaj did not dress in Nottingham Forest’s 1-1 draw vs. AFC Bournemouth on Saturday. He was suspended due to yellow card accumulation.
- Danny Williams did not dress in Reading’s 4-1 win vs. Doncaster Rovers on Saturday. He is recovering from a foot injury.
- Michael Bradley dressed but did not play in AS Roma’s 2-0 win vs. Napoli on Friday.
- Fabian Johnson did not dress in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 2-1 loss vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Friday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Joe Gyau did not dress for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler started and played 90 minutes in FC Nurnberg’s 1-1 draw vs. Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday.
- Michael Parkhurst did not dress in FC Augsburg’s 2-1 loss vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Sunday.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04′s 3-2 win vs. TSV Eintracht Braunschweig on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo did not dress in Hannover 96′s 1-0 loss vs. Borussia Dortmund on Saturday.
- John Brooks did not dress in Hertha Berlin’s 1-0 win vs. Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday. He is recovering from an elbow injury.
- Alfredo Morales came off the bench, played 28 minutes and received a yellow card in FC Ingolstadt 04′s 2-1 loss vs. Fortuna Dusseldorf on Sunday.
- Andrew Wooten did not dress in Kaiserslautern’s 2-2 draw vs. Karlsruhe on Sunday.
- Bobby Wood and TSV 1860 Munich play FC Cologne on Monday.
- Alejandro Bedoya came off the bench, played nine minutes and scored a GOAL in FC Nantes’ 1-0 win vs. AC Ajaccio on Saturday.
- Aron Johannsson started, played 90 minutes before being substituted in stoppage time, scored TWO GOALS, had an ASSIST and received a yellow card in AZ Alkmaar’s 3-1 win vs. Cambuur Leeuwarden on Sunday.
- Eugene Starikov did not dress in FK Tom’ Tomsk’s 4-0 loss vs. Krasnodar on Saturday.
- Conor O’Brien and Odense BK play SonderjyskE on Monday.
- Babajide Ogunbiyi started and played 90 minutes in Viborg FF’s 0-0 draw vs. Brondby IF on Sunday.
- Mike Grella dressed but did not play for Viborg FF.
- Terrence Boyd came off the bench, played 45 minutes and scored a GOAL in Rapid Vienna’s 2-2 draw vs. SK Sturm Graz on Sunday.
- Brian Span and Djurgarden IF play Kalmar FF on Monday.
- Mix Diskerud came off the bench and played 29 minutes in Rosenborg BK’s 1-0 win vs. IK Start on Saturday.
- Josh Gatt did not dress in Molde FK’s 1-0 win vs. Honefoss BK on Sunday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Ethan Horvath dressed but did not play for Molde FK.
- Ben Spencer did not dress for Molde FK .
- Steve Clark started and played 90 minutes in Honefoss BK’s 1-0 loss vs. Molde FK on Sunday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 2-0 win vs. Atlas on Sunday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress for Puebla. He is recovering from an injury.
- Jose Torres did not dress in Tigres UANL’s 3-1 win vs. Atlante on Saturday. He was suspended for the red card he received in the last game.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress for Tigres UANL.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 0-0 draw vs. Toluca on Sunday.
- Paul Arriola started and played 68 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Herculez Gomez came off the bench and played 22 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza came off the bench and played nine minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Joe Corona dressed but did not play for Club Tijuana.
- Joaquin Alonso Hernandez did not dress in Monterrey’s 3-2 loss vs. Santos Laguna on Friday.
- Freddy Adu did not play in Bahia’s 3-0 win vs. Galicia in Copa Governador on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Does Bedoya’s game-winning goal for Nantes cap off a perfect week for you? How good do you think Johannsson can be?
Share your thoughts below.