AgudeloHead (ISIPhotos.com)

Photo by ISIPhotos.com

By IVES GALARCEP

Juan Agudelo has long been considered a young prospect destined to play in Europe’s top flight, and now that destiny is closer to becoming reality after signing a pre-contract with Stoke City to join the English Premier League side in January.

On the latest episode of The SBI Show, we break down Agudelo’s move to Stoke City, and what it could mean for the young striker. In Episode 61, we also take a closer look at the process that could see him leave the New England Revolution early in the event of a summer transfer to Stoke.

Co-host Garrett Cleverly and I also discuss the U.S. Open Cup semifinals, which kick off tonight at Rio Tinto Stadium and Totoya Park. We break down both match-ups, including the highly-anticipated Real Salt Lake-Portland Timbers clash.

Give Episode 61 of The SBI Show a listen after the jump:

What did you think of the show? Agree with our take on Agudelo? Think going to Stoke City is a mistake? Who do you see winning tonight’s U.S. Open Cup semifinals?

This entry was posted in MLS- New England Revolution, Podcasts, U.S. Open Cup and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to The SBI Show: Episode 61 (Talking Agudelo’s Stoke deal; the U.S. Open Cup semifinals; and more)

1. Ben says:

I don’t think it was a mistake to go to Stoke, because he is going to have to pick up all the aspects of his game. He has all the talent, but he coasts on it in MLS. He won’t be able to do that in the EPL. It will be interested to see if he can adjust.

2. Nathan says:

How Can I Get The Podcast On My Android? Like Podkicker Or Something?

3. TomG says:

Ives/Garrett, can you guys please get a guest to give some insight on Mark Hughes? With him in control of so much young American talent, I think we’d all be interested in some insight regarding him especially in regard to how he develops young players. Thanks.

• GW says:

Hughes was a very fine forward and that should be useful with Agudelo who plays basically the same position.

When you look at guys who manage in the EPL other than SAF, Wenger and Moyes I can’t think of too many managers who are good at developing young players the way Verbeek developed Jozy. Way too much pressure to succeed or avoid relegation in the EPL.

I thought he worked well with Clint who would be the guy to ask.

4. Tom_in_So_IL says:

Soundcloud

5. Beto says:

Best Ives rant yet!

6. Dainja says:

One love, one love, one love…damn, Tip and Mr. Illmatic need to do another track again!

7. Put the ball betwixt the stix says:

Yes. I will tune into more MLS games now that Dempsey is here. I already watch a lot of the marquee games anyway. But I used to DVR Dempsey games in the EPL so will do the same now that he’s in the states.

8. Chris says:

Ives, your statement that MLS has never had a Center Back as a DP is perplexing…I know he was a complete flop in MLS, but Rafa Marquez was a DP Center Back for RBNY.

• Travis says:

Think he played a lot of CM for NY which is why Ives probably said that but I would agree that naturally he is a CB

• Ives Galarcep says:

There is a reason I said “pure centerback.” When Marquez arrived he arrived as someone who could play either in central midfield or central defense, and when he first arrived the belief was he’d be in midfield.

9. Turgid Jacobian says:

The only problem with writing down all the rules is that Goldman Sachs will figure out how to end the world for us using the rulebook ;)

10. Turgid Jacobian says:

Garret, did you have to dub over Ives during that league/fan rant? “Shut the monkeyfarmers up!”

11. Mister JC says:

Great show, thanks guys…

12. Kosh says:

Great show, guys. Keep it up.

13. Philly Union Rule says:

Agudelo should go! Dempsey is great. Ives, I love your view. Please keep bringing it! BTW, I want Ives as my third DP…

14. Kev says:

Stoke = the new Fulham! StokeAmerica!