Altidore scores first competitive goal for Sunderland in League Cup

Jozy Altidore of Sunderland

Photo by ISIPhotos.com

By DAN KARELL

After failing to score a goal in his first two league matches of the season, Jozy Altidore scored his first competitive goal for Sunderland on Tuesday in a 4-2 victory against Milton Keynes Dons in the second round of the Carling Cup.

In the 78th minute, Sunderland forward Conor Wickham put Altidore clean on goal, where he finished past MK Dons goalkeeper Ian McLoughlin from close range. The goal began a four-goal rally in the final 12 minutes that sent the Black Cats to victory when it seemed until then that they were destined for defeat.

The U.S. Men’s National Team star played all 90 minutes for Sunderland in his third straight start, clearly emerging as the main option up top for manager Paolo Di Canio. With the victory, Sunderland progress to the third round of the Carling Cup.

What do you think of this news? Happy to see Altidore score his first competitive goal for the club? Have you been impressed with his early season performances?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, Featured. Bookmark the permalink.

82 Responses to Altidore scores first competitive goal for Sunderland in League Cup

1. Onoda says:

The commentators had nothing but good things to say about Jozy. They loved his work rate and said that he and adam johnson were the only bright spots of the first half.

Go Jozy!

2. Sergio of SF says:

Yeah, the commentators really seem to like Jozy’s play. He needs more support from the rest of the team. Wonder if he can go another 90 this weekend.

• DR7_Liverpool_ says:

I agree needs more support up top. He will definitely get the goals going though, this was just a start. I think it he’s got another full 90 minute in him, he just seems hungry on the pitch.

3. drunk today not 2moro says:

Mr. well endowed Altidore scored. Women beware

4. George Baldwin says:

woo hoo! he scored against a 3rd division team!

5. beto says:

congrats Jozy!

now should i start him in my fantasy league? against Palace i like his chances but how many minutes can you expect from a guy who has played 180 minutes already this week..

• TomG says:

ESP with Fletcher rounding into health.

• Drewbles says:

Fletcher is still a couple weeks away from getting serious time I think, otherwise he would have been on in the 70th minute when Sunderland were down 2 goals.

• Falls City Outlaw says:

I’m starting him in mine this week. Front 3 of RVP, Berbatov, and Altidore. He’s taking Wayne Routledge’s spot on the field, so, I think I’ll be okay.

6. Kapper says:

————–E. Johnson———-
    Donovan—–Dempsey—-Zusi
    ——-Beckerman—McCarty
    Ashe—-Besler—Goodson—-Evans
    —————–Rimando

vs.

——————–Altidore
    F. Johnson—Johannsson—-Bedoya
    ————Bradley—–Jones—-
    Beasley—–Brooks—Cameron—-Parkhurst
    —————–Guzan———–

Which team wins?

• John says:

Actually looks pretty close but I’d say Bradley is the difference maker.

• Joamiq says:

Yanks Abroad central midfield destroys the MLS central midfield. Why Guzan over Howard though? And I’d take Corona over Bedoya, but that’s just me.

• GW says:

What is more important is which team is carrying fewer cards?

• Grant says:

I would take Cameron and put him on the other team in place of McCarty and put Omar Gonzalez in the back in place of Cameron. Then I think it would be a very difficult choice. Otherwise I choose the team with bradley and jozy.

• Mike R says:

USA abroad 4- USA MLS 0

• Zztoppppp says:

I’m a McCarty fan, but I would rather see Gil in that spot. Or put Beltran at RB with Evans in the midfield.

• TomG says:

I’d rather see Ozzie Alonso over either. Is he eligible yet?

• Zztoppppp says:

That would be nice. But, no Cuba still won’t allow him to file his one time switch. I don’t see how FIFA is allowing them to ruin a player’s international career like that.

• Travis in Miami says:

LD and Deuce would eat Parkhurst and Cameron for lunch but I don’t think they would get many opportunities. MLS would get spanked in the midfield. Although Goodson’s long balls have been pretty good.

This would actually be a good game. I’d love to see it.

7. Nihal says:

Link to highlights:

link to thebiglead.com

8. Sean D says:

Capital One Cup, not Carling Cup.

9. Scott e Dio93 says:

Yet to score in EPL. Not trying to be “Debbie Downer” but Sunderland’s creative midfield sucks!

• Drewbles says:

Yes, Sunderland’s central midfield is God awful, but using the fact that Jozy hasn’t scored yet this season when he’s only played 2 Premiership games is kind of worthless.

• TomG says:

They are trying to sign a cm. reportedly close to Inter midfielder.

10. Jacknut says:

Was that Jozy with the cr@p back p@ss that led to the second MK goal?

11. slowleftarm says:

Antidore should play for Haiti. He is hardly American.

• Grant says:

Lmao, get out of here and never come back. Comment like that you’ll never have any credibility ever again.

• cd70 says:

How so? He was born in NJ and raised in FL.

Wikipedia: “The youngest of four children of a Haitian-American family, Altidore was born in Livingston, New Jersey and raised in Boca Raton, Florida. He is second cousin to American actor Wayne Brady. He enjoyed playing soccer from the time he was a boy. Altidore played for local Boca Raton youth teams such as Boca Raton Juniors Soccer Club, Schulz Academy and Sunrise S.C.”

• Nate Dollars says:

ha, pretty sure this one’s an impostor. well done.

• Cabrito says:

He’s more American than you.

• Jeff Fulton says:

By that logic Landon should be playing for Canada (his dad is Canadian).

12. MLSsnob says:

Meh…

13. Yankeedom says:

I have a question. Do goal keepers get yellow cards for holding onto the ball like that after a goal?
    It’s the most blatant time-wasting thing a player on the pitch can do. Way worse than the fake injury, or “cramping”

• Riggity says:

Keepers get carded all the time for time wasting.

• ivanomartin says:

But not for that, they don’t.

I’ve never understood why the attacking team thinks it’s entitled to the ball there. Goal for attacking team results in free kick for defending team from the center circle. If anybody should be booked, it’s the attacker who is trying to rip the ball away from the team that’s got the free kick.

• CplDaniel says:

It’s because the team that just got scored upon has no incentive to restart the game quickly if they are ahead. In fact the sooner they start the game the worst off they are. Jozy has 12minutes to get 3 goals if Sunderland are to win. That’s why he grabbed the ball. Because the other team would have just waited, and dilly-dalied, and time-wasted as much of that 12-minutes as possible before getting that ball to the center circle for kick-off.

• away goals says:

Yeah the team that got scored on can waste time anyway. Grabbing the ball out of the back of the net is one of those pointless symbolic things that teams do.

No way should a gk be cautioned for that.

14. Darwin says:

Are we witnessing Soccer By Dan now? Where’s Ives? He hasn’t posted in ages, and no podcast… Is he on vacation?

• Zztoppppp says:

He is on vacation in Peru. The trip was supposed to last more than 2 weeks. I think we can expect him back in the next week or so.

• RK says:

It’s tough to get internet on the top of Machu Picchu. The Incas could build home on the top of mountains, but couldn’t figure out telephony.

15. ThaDeuce says:

Did Ives actually fix the moderation problem?!? I haven’t been moderated in a week, which NEVER happened since moderation started.

16. DC Josh says:

Jozy also had a beautiful goal denied by the far post in the 1st half. It was a great comeback by SAFC.

17. biff says:

Reading Zztoppppp’s post below we now know why SBI is stubbornly continuing with the system of putting new posts on top, which most of us hate. The boss is gone and no else can take the initiative. I am sure that when the boss returns he will put things back in the right order.

• THomas says:

I like the newest post on top. But I think if somebody replies to the post, it should go back to the top. That way we can follow the most commented post and up to date post if we’d like.

• Ceez says:

I don’t have a preference either way (I do something called adjusting) but how about an option for the reader? Doesn’t seem like it’s that much to ask for.

• Increase says:

I’m okay with it too. Its whatever.

18. I uploaded a video of just his goal to youtube here: