Gold Cup: USMNT vs. Honduras (SBI Live Commentary)

USAHondurasLogosCropped

By IVES GALARCEP

The first ticket to the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup Final will be awarded tonight when the U.S. Men’s National Team faces Honduras for the third time this year, in the Gold Cup semifinals in Dallas (7pm, Fox Soccer Channel/UniMas/Univision Deportes).

The Americans face the Catrachos for the second time in nearly a month, but the teams that will take the field at Dallas Cowboys Stadium tonight will be significantly different from the squads that faced off in the U.S. team’s 1-0 World Cup qualifying win vs. Honduras at Rio Tinto Stadium on June 18th.

The U.S. comes in riding high off a 5-1 thrashing of El Salvador in the quarterfinals, while Honduras enter after yet another close victory, a 1-0 nail-biter against Costa Rica.

SBI will be providing live commentary on tonight’s match so please feel free to follow the action here. As always, you are welcome to share your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action (Tonight’s commentary is after the jump):

This entry was posted in CONCACAF Gold Cup, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

95 Responses to Gold Cup: USMNT vs. Honduras (SBI Live Commentary)

1. Vic says:

I like Bedoya but not on the right side. He doesn’t seem comfortable. I would put him on the left or in the middle.

• Jim in Atlanta says:

Smh at that comment. Lol bedoya in the middle, what!

• Victor says:

To the left yes, I want Corona out to the right…..but i guess why change what’s been working leave Torres out there….he’s gotta take better FK’s though.

2. Benny says:

GO USA!!!!

3. ozotkd says:

Scratching my head on Bedoya over Corona, & a bit surprised that Gonzo didn’t get the start, but in Klinsmann I trust, CMON USA!!!!!!!!

4. Fredo says:

I wish Landon was getting a rest. Poor boy is gonna be “knackered.” Here’s to pouring it on early & often.

5. Memphis Rogues says:

I love that Klinsi always picks lineups that leave us all scratching our heads, and yet the USA has had its most successful year in USMNT history. That’s why we pundits are pundits and Klinsi flies his own helicopter to practice.

In Klinsi We Trust.

• Isaac says:

To be fair, Juergen’s first year was full of head-scratchers and disappointments. I think he’s learned the pool much better now, and that seems to be why he’s doing so well.

• Fredo says:

Agree. He didn’t respect CONCACAF at first. His team now comes out of camp prepared instead of overtrained. GOAL!!! EJ!!

• whoop-whoop says:

Trying out many options is how one learns the pool. The time to do that is the year before qualifying. He is till tinkering, but I think he has found a good balance between experimenting/giving new guys opportunities, trying different formations/strategies and still doing what it takes to qualify for WC. Makes for a harder road, but in the end he has a better idea what and who works and what and who does not. Will serve us well as we go along.

• Vic says:

I give Klinnsmann credit for calling and playing the right players recently. However, many of us have been calling for more skilled players (Torres, Corona, Castillo, Mixx and Bedoya) for a long time. Klinnsmann has taken over a US program where there’s more depth than ever.

6. SBI TroII says:

The only mild surprise I see is Bedoya. It would have been foolish to play EJ on the wing and Gonzales just met the team in camp yesterday. They probably want to get him ready for the final. As for Bedoya, I’m guessing they want some fresh legs and to have Corona ready for the final. If you have been watching carefully, Klinsmann has been rotating his three CMs every game so they don’t have much mileage this tournament going into Sunday.

7. bizzy says:

This games is going to say a lot about this gold cup USMNT. We all call it the B-Team but the US has never been such a dominating force in the Gold cup and this Honduras team comprising of coach Suarez and over 7-8 players that beat us in February and gave us a run for our money in June (Altidore scored the only goal) are on this team. This game is not going to be a walk in the park………with that being said if we win in dominating fashion, If we keep possession and keep playing fluent attacking football, a lot of “A-Team” players are going to be up for a battle to reserve their spot on the plane to Brazil

8. Dan M says:

signing off now, don’t want to see the happenings until I get a cold brew in my hand and a DVR running.

9. zztoppppp says:

My stream site isn’t working…someone please help!

10. ozotkd says:

CMON USA, Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool Mr. Eddie Johnson, that’s right!!!!!!!!! CMON USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Citronomics says:

Clinical finish from EJ!

• PSU says:

That run he made was really nice. Almost looked like a designed play.

• Citronomics says:

Yeah. What you expect from a professional. I said on this site a few years ago after EJ scored a goal in some cup match or something in Europe that it would be “newsy” if he started to contribute consistently at the club level. Fast forward to today… Glad he has found success back in MLS and demonstrating he is a worthy option for the NATS.

Cheers

12. DABBER8387 says:

What is the USA’s starting line-up..??!! In Landon we trust!!!

• zztoppppp says:

————–EJ————
      Torres——-LD—-Bedoya
      —-Holden—-Beckerman
      Beasley-Besler-Goodson-Parkhurst
      ———–Rimando————

13. DABBER8387 says:

We need Klinsi on the field…Player/Coach…Dude still has it…LOL…!!!

14. Francois says:

We’ve been playing such good soccer since the Belgium game, interchanging, passing, movement. Top notch soccer.

15. Ryan says:

I think they can compete with anyone now. Not because they are beating up on small fish, but they are pushing it more, taking chances. I think they have bought into Klinsmanns philosophy and now that they have tasted the goals, they are really hammering it. They are winning balls, playing hard, putting their foot on the throat, etc. I think it’s exciting.

16. Thatkidnandez says:

Holden just isnt at 90 yet looking dangerous though. I really wanna see torres at cm. Bedoya step it up man!

17. Mike Lamb says:

That was a PK for Holden.

18. Fredo says:

Oh Landon Donovan!

19. Phil B says:

Where has this Bedoya been throughout the tournament? Nice counter and aggressive play.

20. Steve-o says:

Total donovation

21. DABBER8387 says:

I HAVE A MAN-CRUSH ON LANDON DONOVAN!!!

22. TomG says:

EJ with another beautiful flick on header. That’s two in two matches. That’s a very difficult skill that he’s never shown consistency with before. With his leaping ability, that’s a really, really valuable skill to have.

23. Thatkidnandez says:

Orozco at Rb! Parkhurst is lost!

24. Francois says:

We’ve been playing such good soccer since the Belgium game, interchanging, p@ssing, movement. Top notch soccer.

25. Phil B says:

I’ve never been his biggest fan (like many of you, I assume) but Beckerman has had a good tournament. Especially in the knockout rounds, so far. I’m not saying I’d have him be a starter with the full team, but at this point I wouldn’t mind him taking a roster spot at the World Cup.

26. ozotkd says:

Great football by the USA, loving the energy, let’s score more in that 2nd half USA, CMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. AC says:

I really wish they held the Gold Cup earlier in the summer to allow our top tier players all a chance to be here, rather than preparing for club teams in Europe.

28. Andrew In Tally says:

This version of the USMNT is playing as attractive soccer as we have seen in a long time. the fluidity is impressive. So when Goodson or Besler takes one of those long kicks over everyone. Beckerman is having a great game. Impressed.We want a 4-0 scoreline.

29. Samuel says:

Man, remember those stressful years with Bob Bradley. This is way much more fun, but losing this GC will be devastating.

30. SanFran415 says:

I have to admit. After 45 minutes, it is clear we are much better without Wondo.

31. ethan says:

Is Eddie Johnson bringing what we haven’t had since Davies

He really does stretch the field and with Dempsey, Donovan, and Altidore taking those spaces, it can be dangerous.
    Warren Barton is a good analyst

32. Samuel says:

Top players so far: EJ, LD and KB … in no particular order. Bedoya is also playing great.

33. Samuel says:

Ohh man how can I forget him, I love El Gringo Torres, always have. He is WC material.

34. beachbum says:

is that the US in a 4 3 3? 65th minute

35. Thatkidnandez says:

Is brek shea are fernando torres

36. Joe Hamilton says:

The referee didn’t call on a foul on a clear red card foul on Brek Shea.

37. Phil B says:

I hope Shea gets playing time at Stoke this season, or goes on loan to somewhere he can get on the field. He has a lot of potential and I’d hate to see him miss out on the WC.

38. ThaDeuce says:

Uhhhh, that foul on Shea was a red card, terrible no call.

39. fatfreb says:

If anything, this tournament has shown us that Donovan will start in Brazil and Eddie has looked so good recently he will be the first sub off the bench if we need a goal.

40. Joshua Perrella says:

Diskerud is a terrible experiment and should be thrown to the wolves. This guy should not represent any part of the US National team program.

41. Dave80 says:

Heh. Holden tries an Adam Moffat, close but not quite!

42. beachbum says:

what a joke

43. Thatkidnandez says:

Wtf??? Just happened with Klinsi?

44. ThaDeuce says:

Holy cow, I just noticed I don’t want to throw my tv out the window. HOW MUCH BETTER IS COBY JONES THAN HARKES!!!

Thank god for that.

45. Benny says:

This Ref. stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

46. Benny says:

This Ref. is a joke

47. Joe Hamilton says:

I’m glad Klinsmann doesn”t ignore the usual CONCACAF incompetent ,cheating referees like this beast in the ref outfit. When a bum like this ref ignores foul after foul after foul against the US it hurts the credibility of soccer. It makes soccer like more corrupt than boxing.

48. Chupacabra says:

Yo Wondo, I’m really happy for you…Imma let you finish, but Landon Donovan is the Golden Boot of this Gold Cup!

49. Samuel says:

CONCACAF referees are the worst in the Universe.

50. Dave80 says:

Klinnsmann gets CONCACAF’d. What poor refereeing.

• Anthony Hewetson says:

I wonder how much of Honduras’ GDP that referee is taking home with him. With all of the MMA antics of the Honduran team going on, he has the gall to kick the US coach out? Hell, we’ve got elbow strikes, rabbit punches, elbows to the sternum, knocking the goalie down after he has possession of the ball, and non-stop two-hand shoves to the back – all committed by the Honduran team without a card – and he kicks the US coach out? I know the U.S. isn’t without fault here – a clumsy move by Shea that should have been called and some clinching – but nothing to compare with the all out Shaolin-style throw-down by the Hondurans – and he kicks the US coach out?

I would suggest that CONCACAF review this referee’s performance but they are probably just as oblivious.

51. gtv says:

Next game, the final, WIN ONE FUR DER KLINSMEISTER!!!

52. Benny says:

You can bet Klinsi will be commanding the ship watching via TV in the dressing room. Once again, this ref. stinks!!!!

53. ACS says:

Luckily in the WC we won’t be having a Concacaf ref, but we do have the chance of having Coulibaly as a ref.

54. Seriously? says:

Any chance we can raise money for a hit man?

55. Samuel says:

This referee should never again officiate even in a puppy bowl.

56. Zack says:

CONCACAF overturns Klinsy being thrown out of the game right? The ref has to file a report and can not justify throwing someone out because he yelled at him. right?

57. Shawn says:

refffffffffffffff is mad costa rica gets owned time after time

58. Samuel says:

OMG, no yellow cards for Honduras!

59. USAmr says:

Welcome to CONCACAF Mr. Klinsman. Horrible calls all game. Too many cheap shots after passes and hits often when the ball was out of bounds. Ugly and, unfortunately, typical.

60. Jeff Sandman says:

I have been involved with soccer for 30 years,have 4 children that still play,21 yr old twins ,27 yr old& 29 yr old.That was the WORST refeering I have ever seen in 30 years,and I have seen plenty of soccer in 30 years.Fifa must have picked that Ref from right off the street before game time.