By DAN KARELL
Chepo’s not going anywhere for the time being.
After deliberations with the Mexican Football Federation, president Justino Compean decided to keep Jose Manuel de la Torre as head coach of the Mexico National Team.
At one time on top of the world, “Chepo” de la Torre has lost support from many of the fans of El Tri, suffering in the 2013 calendar year to win games in CONCACAF World Cup qualifying and the two summer competitions they took part in, the Confederations Cup and the Gold Cup.
El Tri were bounced from the Gold Cup in the semifinals by Panama, keeping them out of the finals for the first time since 2005 and ending their Gold Cup title winning streak at two. In World Cup qualifying, Mexico currently sit in third place in the Hexagonal round, with just one win, away vs. Jamaica, and five draws.
Compean said that he would review de la Torre’s position once more after the qualifiers finish in October.
Here are some more stories to get your Tuesday started:
LEVY WANTS WORLD RECORD FEE FOR BALE
Just like one year ago with former Tottenham player Luka Modric, Chairman Daniel Levy isn’t making it easy for Gareth Bale to make his reported desired move to the Bernabeu.
According to reports in Spain, Levy has issued an ultimatum to Real Madrid, saying that if they want Bale then the Spanish club will have to pay upwards of £125 million ($191 million) for the 24-year-old midfielder. As much as Madrid want to bring in Bale to the club, they are certainly unwilling to spend that much on a player.
Bale is reportedly unhappy with Levy and the Tottenham management for not agreeing to listen to the reported £80 million ($122 million) transfer offer that Real Madrid made late last week.
Speaking during the club’s tour of the United States, Iker Casillas said he believed that Bale is “one of the top three or four best players in Europe and it’s normal that his name is being discussed because he has all the qualities a footballer needs.”
CHELSEA REFUSE TO SELL LUIZ
Chelsea FC’s six Confederations Cup players all returned to first-team training on Monday, and with it, rumors of David Luiz’s departure to Bayern Munich.
According to reports, Bayern are considering making a bid of £34.5 million (approx $53 million) for the Brazilian National Team defender, as manager Pep Guardiola has long had his eye on Luiz. However on Tuesday, Chelsea have come out with their refusal to listen to any offers, large or small, for the 26-year-old.
Luiz has been subjected to rumors of a transfer to Barcelona this summer as well, with transfer speculation intensifying following a Confederations Cup tournament where he proved he was one of Brazil’s top players.
In addition to Luiz, countryman Oscar, Spaniards Juan Mata, Fernando Torres, Cesar Azpilicueta, and Nigerian John Mikel Obi all returned to the club for training.
Serie A released the fixture list for the upcoming season on Monday afternoon, with the first Derby della Capitale to take place in the fourth week of the season. (REPORT)
Cruz Azul forward Teofilo Gutierrez has arrived in Buenos Aires ahead of a move to River Plate. The Colombian will take his medical today and sign a three-year contract with the Argentine giants on Wednesday. (REPORT)
Former Spain National Team forward Dani Güiza has moved to Cerro Porteño in Paraguay. (REPORT)
FC Augsburg in Germany is believed to have the first ever Carbon-Neutral stadium. (REPORT)
Schalke 04 defender Kyriakos Papadopoulos has returned to training from a long-term knee injury suffered last November. (REPORT)
What do you think of these reports? Surprised to see Chepo keep his job? Do you see Real Madrid coughing up over £100? Do you believe Chelsea would sell David Luiz? Which Serie A fixtures are you looking forward to?
Share your thoughts below.