USMNT submits petition to FIFA for Johannsson’s national team switch

Aron Johannsson AZ (Getty Images)

By FRANCO PANIZO

If Iceland were hoping to prevent Aron Johannsson from trying to switch allegiances to the U.S. Men’s National Team with their recent pitch to him, they failed miserably.

Hours after Iceland released a statement encouraging Johannsson to think twice about which team he wanted to play for internationally, U.S. Soccer announced Tuesday afternoon that Johannsson had informed them of his desire to apply for a change of association in international competition. As a result, U.S. Soccer submitted a petition for that to FIFA and is expecting a successful completion.

“We are excited that Aron has chosen to pursue his international career with the United States,” said U.S. head coach Jurgen Klinsmann in a statement. “We have been in contact with him for the last several months. He is a great young talent with a bright future, and we look forward to introducing him to our team as soon as possible.”

While there is no timetable on how long it will take for FIFA to complete the process, U.S. Soccer is planning on inviting Johannsson to his first U.S. camp for the game against Bosnia on Aug. 14 in Sarajevo.

What do you think of this development? Think FIFA will approve the petition in time for the Bosnia friendly?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, Featured, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

280 Responses to USMNT submits petition to FIFA for Johannsson’s national team switch

1. Lost in Space says:

I think this will be a good move for him and for the USMNT. Wish him the best, and hope he contributes to our growing player pool.

• Samuel says:

I think it’s a bad move for Gomez and Wondo.

• Kosh says:

Competition is NEVER a bad thing. Getting more quality players should provide meaningful depth as players get better and push each other. Soon enough there will not be much of a drop off from starter to sub.

If Wondo and Gomez are good enough (and whomever) there should be no worries – just another guy to fend off from your spot.

• bb says:

Just for sake of argument… and because ‘competition is never a bad thing’ has become a common rally-cry of sorts lately.

I’d say that yes, it sucks for Gomez. He’s not wanting to “push himself” in camp against a new face. He’s wanting to log quality minutes in international competition.

Let’s be realistic, look at his age & injury. Bringing in a new young promising forward is bad for him.

We aren’t talking about the USMNT. Competition helps the team get better, which is whom I cheer for. But guys like Gomez and Wondo are probably not “happy” they have more competition when they are wanting to break into the starting eleven.

• Kosh says:

Well since we are doing this for arguments sake I have to wonder what is your position here? Are you advocating that older guys “not wanting to push themselves” is the bad side of healthy competition? Sorry if I am misquoting you but I am not sure what we are arguing about here.

This happens everywhere around the world. No one is or should be guaranteed a spot, that is if you want to have a healthy program.

Don’t sell Herc short. Dudes been doubted before and has proven himself. He’ll be just fine. As for Wondo I am a huge fan but he needs to step his game up against the big guys. Not saying he does not have a shot, but if its between him and Aron and Aron does the business then I don’t see the problem here…I mean for arguments sake.

• The Imperative Voice says:

Gomez at least at earlier stages in qualifying was the second most dependable producer behind Dempsey. Form and injuries and new entries he now risks missing the 23 altogether.

Obviously the team needs healthy and productive players but surely we understand that if you are the one on the outside looking in it hurts? Stuart Holden could speak to aspects of this as well.

• Jacknut says:

Actually, Gomez I’m sure is cool with it, Wondo doesn’t matter. Who I’m sure is really unhappy is Jack Mac. That’s direct competition.

• Snaves says:

^ +1, assuming we don’t turn JackMac into the next Freddy Adu/Jozy Altidore in Spain/Juan Agudelo and pile the hopes of America on him before he turns 22 and he burns out.

• louis z says:

I Agree competition is good. I think Gomez also needs to worry, before his injury he was going through a rut.

• Bobb says:

Those guys are in their 30s, on the downsides of their careers. He will battle them for one of the last forward spots on the World Cup roster but really it goes beyond that.

Aron is part of a pretty deep group of young forwards that we’re hoping will bring us success over the next decade: Altidore, Johannssen, Boyd, Agudelo, MacInerney, Wood, Wooten, Bruin, Sapong, Doyle, McBean, Zardes, etc. etc.

If we can get a really strong trio or foursome out of those guys and others, that will easily be the best we’ve ever been at the forward position.

• DYCSoccer17 says:

Sapong? Really? Dude can’t even crack an MLS 18

• Mike R says:

If your a realist you know that list starts and ends with Altidore and Johansen.

• evan says:

don’t underestimate what Boyd is doing in Rapid Vienna. He is still quite young, and looking very good in Europe.

• The Imperative Voice says:

I see this as like Jones, maybe he’s switching too late, but even if he did, he’s young enough to beneficial for future cycles. He’s probably not going to get a big window and his chance will be handled cold blooded, if he doesn’t produce it won’t be his cycle.

• joe says:

Huh? Johannsen is super young, Jones was at least 6 years older. I literally have no clue what this comment is saying.

• louis z says:

The “not produce ” part I think will also be for any forward not named Jozy or Dempsey. I’m high up on the kid and from the comments, looks like JK feels the same way

• Lost in Space says:

Gomez is injured at the moment and will have to prove himself with his club. If he can’t I’d prefer to have another option to choose from rather than be in the 2010 CD9 situation.
        Wondo was never going to be a viable option for the WC team. He’s a fine MLS player….but I do not think he translates well to the international game. Just my opinion, but realistically he was always going to be on the outside looking in.

• Tckc says:

Just like freedom of speech is allowed by the constitution, which means I have to read crud from people like slow left arm, this guy is guaranteed American by the same document. If you are born here, moved here, born to a military parent somewhere else, they are American. Get over where he developed and be glad he did and wants to rep the country of his birth. Since when do we have the balls to say who is and isn’t American. My god people, have some tolerance and respect for people in today’s global community.

• kev2 says:

vomit. does sanctimony ever get tiresome? do you just throw around words like tolerant and respect when you run out of ideas? why doesn’t Ms. America allow male entries? is it because of sexism and hate?

• Bob Saget says:

To whom/what is this even a response? I don’t see the intolerance or lack of respect to which you’re referring, not to say that’s not present at times on this site.

2. Joe+G says:

Iceland will issue a scathing follow-up press release and the USSF will be forced to announce that the document is sitting on the FIFA fax machine. Oh, now it’s moving down the hallway and the admin is making copies. Now one is on Sepp desk…

• Samuel says:

I always thought this kid belonged in the USA and not Iceland. His style will be exploited by JK in the years to come and we will win another Gold Cup on US soil (that’s all we seem to be able to win) with him, I guarantee you.

3. whoop-whoop says:

I’m shocked…….. I was absolutely certain the press release from Iceland would illicit a change of heart.

4. Colin in MT says:

AHHHHH…they’re taking our jarbs.

Right slowleftarm?

• slowleftarm says:

Certainly never been called a right-winger before. However, in this case “jobs” on the USMNT surely should be for Americans only, not opportunistic foreigners.

• Mark says:

You got any reasons to back that opinion up?

• slowleftarm says:

My opinion that foreign players shouldn’t be on the national team? Isn’t that the point of international football?

• Mason says:

He’s not a foreign player.

• slowleftarm says:

Of course he is. Dude has lived a few months here after the age of two, and even that was only because he was recruited to a US Soccer facility. Total joke. I know recruiting is easier than developing but that doesn’t make it right.

• Mason says:

What part of US citizen don’t you get?

By your logic, the US should have Andy Najar in the pool for wing or even left back. He was almost entirely developed by NoVA high schools, NoVA clubs, and DCU. Oh… Wait… He only has a green card, so he plays for Honduras internationally.

Citizenship is paramount and your attempts to define nationality in any other way are circular and not based in fact.

• RB says:

“Of course he isn’t”

FTFY

• Edwin in LA says:

He was BORN HERE ….what part if that you don’t get? With some of your other objections I can understand but with thus you just seen sad and yes xeniphobic. The guy was born here for crying out loud!

• BrianK says:

Slow,

First of all,….Aron is American. You should get that straight in head.

Second,…consider the following names (in no particular order) and tell me what they have in common:

Earnie Stewart, Earhardt Kapp, Mirco Livric, Hugo Perez, Tab Ramos, Thomas Dooley, Boris Bandov, Claudio Reyna, Pablo Mastroeani, Fernando Clavijo, Roy Wegerle, Joe Gaetjens, Jeff Agoos, Mike Windischman, Chico Borja, Freddy Adu,…etc., etc., etc.

• chris says:

They lived in the US for an extended period of time?

• John says:

If I recall, Earnie Stewart spent almost no time in the US before suiting up for the Stars and Stripes. Thomas Dooley obtained full citizenship in ’92 or ’93 right before the World Cup. Heck, Joe Gaetjens wasn’t even a citizen of the US until after the 1950 World Cup. This argument is crazy. AJ is a citizen, an American citizen. We should embrace him and move forward. Congrats, AJ! Welcome aboard!

• dawn kiebals says:

Send clavijo back

• bottlcaps says:

Enemies of Moose and Squirrel.????
              ..er , never mind..that Boris BATINOV, not Bandov…

• Joe+G says:

Funny, but Gaetjens never became a citizen.

• 2tone says:

Claudio Reyna has nothing in common with those guys. Reyna was born in New Jersey while the rest were not born in the states. You should probably get your facts straight before eliciting an argument.

• BrianK says:

You are correct. I mistakenly thought that Claudio was born in Argentina,….but in fact was born in New Jersey to immigrant parents (Argentina, Portoguese).

• joe says:

You need to pick one guy out of that list and it makes the list invalid? You must be a fun person to be around. Or, you know, not at all.

• kev2 says:

It is amazing how people interpret opposition to Aron, a person who barely lived in the US, with opposition to citizen-immigrants to this country, who lived here and learned the game here. Are they really so dumb, or just intellectual dishonest, as to not realize that most of those opposing Aron whole heartedly embrace Americans who immigrated here and learned the game here?

• BrianK says:

Don’t think people are being intellectually dishonest. Question is,…where do you draw the line? What are is the standard?

Most people believe the standard should be are you a U.S. citizen. It is very simple and very fair.

Your standard of “immigrated and learned the game here” is nebulous.

• Mason says:

Your standard of “immigrated and learned the game here” is nebulous.’

That makes it not a standard.

• McQ says:

My opinion is that we should field the best team possible.

• Clyde Frog says:

I’m having a hard time thinking of countries that ban certain citizens from national team eligibility. So not sure what you mean about the point of international soccer.

• Mike O says:

I love Americans. Don’t allow the melting pot of the world to have a melting pot of talent on it’s National Team. Dude was born in Mobile, Alabama and played in Florida. Because he lived in Iceland doesn’t mean he can’t be American.

• slowleftarm says:

You’re quite right except that he left America as a baby and returned only briefly to Bradenton. Otherwise, he’s never lived here. Like JAB, Johansson sees an opprtunity to raise his profile by possibly playing at a world cup and make bigger money in his club career. Not really the kind of guys I want on the USMNT. I guess I prefer people with some connection to our country rather than technical/legal Americans on our national team.

• Ken Salazar says:

There are kids in this country that are more American than Aron, but don’t have US citizenship. That’s a fact!

• Mason says:

Your argument is specious. Americanism is unquantifiable. It is a quality you possess or you lack.

• Ken Salazar says:

Surely it is quantifiable. It’s as simple as this, the longer you have lived in this country, the more American you are. I can tell you this because I was born in Mexico and lived there for ten years but I have since become a US citizen, lived here longer, learned English, bought a condo here, work here, read American authors, follow MLS, eat at TGI Fridays.

• Mason says:

I’m glad to see even our most recently naturalized citizens learn to look down their noses at new arrivals, but you have it backwards. If anything, he’s more American than you, because he’s naturally-born so.

BTW… What are the units of americanness?

• Ken Salazar says:

I’m not looking down my nose down at him Mason. I don’t think he is playing with the US because he truly loves this country.

I also don’t think he is more American than I am simply because he was born here. I have lived in this country for 2 decades. This kid was here for 2 years of his life.

• Socom 2 says:

Salazar is mad because he’s the typical mexican guy that roots for both teams, and him calling out Johannsson on not being american really means mexico is his preferred team and the USMNT just got better

• Mason says:

He’s natural born. You’re not. That’s pretty much the only “standard” we have for distinction between citizens and he’s got that one on you. Are you sure you want to go questioning someone’s American-ness? After all, your citizenship could be revoked if you were found to have lied on your application. His can’t be.

Face it: If you insist on quanifying americanness, he’s more American than you, even though he hasn’t lived here.

• Riggity says:

Damm Salazar got served

• Ken Salazar says:

If you guys want to have Europeans play for us just because they are good. That is your opinion. I’d rather have a player that is worse, but that loves this country 1000x more. I don’t care if they are born here or were naturalized. That’s just my opinion. Now in terms of Americaness, my citizenship cannot be revoked because I received it through my father before I was born. I never applied to be a citizen. And certainly, I am more American if you consider voting in this country as a qualification. I certainly think that is important as a qualification. I believe Aron is not registered to vote. Making me more American.

• Ken Salazar says:

In other words Mason. I’m right and you sir, are wrong.

• RB says:

And he has some connection with or country. Because you are in denial on that point doesn’t erase his connection.

As you might say, I think you’ve lost sight of what international soccer is all about.

• Doug209 says:

Did you ask them this or can you read his mind? Seems to me likely sitting the bench in Brazil will not do too much for their financial prospects, but scoring goals hand over fist in the Eridivisie would.

What I will give you is that I want people who want to play for this country and not be opportunistic with no heart. That may or may not describe this kid, but unless you know him personally you do not know. I would take it easy on saying who is or isn’t American.

• Scweeb says:

Perfect example Terrence Boyd.

• Doug209 says:

If that is true of Boyd then I would be happy to never see him in a US jersey again. But unless someone has made it perfectly clear that they do not want to play for America, but are truly vultures looking for the best way to advance their career I will accept anyone who is American.

• Cole Joseph says:

I’m sorry, I seem to recall the USA as being the “land of opportunity”. If so then there is no reason to exclude Johansson from a legal switch especially if he makes the team better (he does). Also I know plenty of people born and raised in the states who are incredibly un-American. Being American is a quality you posess more than anything else.

• GW says:

Johan$$on has a US pa$$port which makes him an American.

Becoming eligible for a US pa$$port is tough so if this kid has one I’m satisfied that he deserves it.

You are of course free to think otherwise but it is not up to you to determine who is and is not an American citizen.

You can argue with FIFA who make the eligibility rules but unless you have access to billions of dollars of influence I suspect FIFA will not listen to you.

• ronniet says:

Well I guess its a good thing your xenophobic ideology holds no weight when these types of decisions are made! The kid was born here for Christ sakes so he’s american and america is a melting pot of different ethnicities and cultures! Are you american by chance?

• Left Wing says:

The truth is you don’t why he chose USA. Maybe he always felt / wished he lived here. His stint in FLA maybe reinforced it. Are you really hating on a guy who wants to play for the country of his birth? Wouldn’t you play for your birth city team proudly?

Plus his parents were educated here. They likely kept USA as a positive presence in the house.

• Bob Saget says:

“Not really the kind of guys I want on the USMNT.”

Quit already. I’m fine with a US CITIZEN wanting to play for our national squad, but I guess you’re entitled to your (stupid) opinions.

• Toledo Homer says:

He is an American. He was born here and has American citizenship, what else does he need.

He is American.

• slowleftarm says:

Technically sure, in reality of course not.

• Mason says:

It reality as well. We have a definition. He meets it. You don’t like it, but you can’t explain why without calling him a foreigner – which he is not.

He could move back to Alabama and be eligible to be president in 14 years. You’re not even talking about a naturalized citizen

• DeLarge says:

You should write this in CAPS. It makes too much sense.

• Kosh says:

I mean seriously though, slowleftarm, whose “reality” are we talking about here? The guys is as American as one can get and because he does not meet your narrow definition/set of criteria he is a foreigner? Do you know how insulting that sounds? You presume to know what is in this young American’s heart because what? Because he wasn’t your neighbor last year? Com’on now.

I am Naturalized but knew in my heart that I felt and therefore was American from a far away land. My opportunity came and I took it. I knew how I felt about this country from afar, and yet you presume to know what is in Aron’s heart? Man, soccer aside that is a fellow American we are talking about here.

• Ryan says:

Aron Johannsson for president!? (after he wins us the world cup of course)

• CCJC says:

Dude let it go. The guy was born in Alabama, last time I checked, Alabama was still a part of the Union. I don’t care if he was whisked away in a plane to Iceland 8 seconds after birth. He was born in American Soil so in my eyes, and in the eyes of our fellow SBI readers, he’s a full-blooded American!

• Colin in MT says:

Slowleftarm,

I should not have named you in my comment. I was not trying to speculate about your political ideology. I was simply making a sarcastic comment from a Sourh Park episode.

At the end of the day we both want the same thing – what’s best for the USMNT. We just have different ideas about how to get there.

• ChuckinBham says:

this thread is completely stupid. move on…nothing to see here.

• GW says:

Johansson has a US passport which makes him an American.

Becoming eligible for a US passport is tough so if this kid has one I’m satisfied that he deserves it.

You are of course free to think otherwise but it is not up to you to determine who is and is American.

You can argue with FIFA who make the elgibility rules but unless you have access to billions of dollars of influence I suspect FIFA will not listen to you.

• recoveredamishman says:

We don’t demand this “only Americans developed in America” in any other facet of life, so why football? Would you send Albert Einstein packing because he was a product of German education? Of course not. The idea is ridiculous on its face.

• Aaron says:

Since your left arm is slow, you should use your right one to punch yourself in the face for your poor line of thinking.

5. slowleftarm says:

Headline should read “US decides developing good players too difficult; looks for players with tenuous or non-existant ties to US instead”

• Dan M says:

Yeah, born here = tenuous to nonexistent

I think it is encouraging that guys who never had reason to pick us have now decided to. It speaks to the growth in our game. I am glad we have stolen a prize, instead of settling for fringe players from other countries who doubted they could cut in on their national team in Europe.

• slowleftarm says:

Ha, your use of the word stolen is pretty revealing. And it’s pretty unambitious to be this stoked about beating Iceland for a player.

• Ken Salazar says:

That’s only because Germany is light years ahead of Iceland.

• lassidawg says:

So does that mean Italy lost its ability to develop players when Rossi joined their team, I could be wrong but wasn’t he born and raised in the USA.
      My point most countries will go outside their borders if it improves their team, if the player has the option.

• chris says:

He moved to Italy at age 12 to play for Parma

• David says:

Of course they do! Those are the rules! But if the rules were changed to requiring stricter residency requirements for every country, would that really be worse? Politically, I don’t have any objection to johannson calling himself an American, but I don’t think players growing up and being developed by one country and then jumping ship, whether we gain or lose a player, is the best way to do things.

• KingGoogleyEye says:

No, headline should read, “Successful US business makes decision based on the hope of becoming an even more successful business.”

• whoop-whoop says:

The end goal is to put together the best possible national team from a pool of qualified players as dictated by FIFA and our country’s laws. Development is subservient to/there to serve this goal, not the other way around. In other words, the National team is not there to encourage or grow development, development is there to grow the National team. If there are alternative ways to grow the National team, they should not and will not be ruled out…. not here or anywhere. This holds true within clubs as well. I’d point out that Barcelona, arguably the finest developer of talent on the planet had no qualms bringing in a Neymar to supplement their team. Your definition of “how it ought to be” is irrelevant and completely divorced from reality. I’ll add… development in this country through MLS has greatly improved and some of the largest beneficiaries are the other nations in CONCACAF! Sorry, but I am afraid you are destined to be a very dissatisfied as your expectations will not be met.

• The Imperative Voice says:

Born here = natural born citizen like you or I, QED.

He presumably didn’t even have to get his passport which is why we can get him this young.

I have zero problem with us gathering the best players we can, and in fact I think it has covered up some development weaknesses. If you pulled out the Germans and Mexicans and Mixx I think the pool looks very different and the team is fighting for qualification.

• Lost in Space says:

Lets face it….the USA is miles behind the big soccer nations when it comes to development of players. Germany, England, Italy, Spain, and others have 100 + years of experience and infastructure to assist in their development of players.
      Many Americans qualify as duel nationals through their parents or grandparents, and as such can obtain citizenship to an EU country (easier than getting US Citizenship). This opens the door for them to obtain better opportunities to train and learn the game. More often than not making them better players. I qualify for EU Citizenship….and if I had the opportunity to go to Europe and train/develop as soccer player I would have jumped at the chance. Unfortunately I was never good enough to make that jump.
      Success of the USNT’s have a direct impact to the appeal of the sport in the US. When the NT does well it encourages the youth of the nation that they may aspire to playing the sport at the highest level, Inspires MLS to find that next USNT prospect, etc…
      This raises the bar for player development. Within the next 25 years MLS will have gained enough ground across the country that we’ll have 2-3 US players at each of the 20+ clubs that will be near Johannsson’s skill level.
      Development of players takes infastructure, money, and more importantly time. Our league is less than 20 years old….and our club acadamies are less than 10. Give them time and they will catch up. Till then the more players we have playing/training in europe the better. I don’t care if they’ve never set foot in the US….if they are Citizens of the USA, and have the skills to contribute to our National Team they are entitled to have the opportunity.

6. PFG says:

The USNT is the Mercenary City of national teams.
    We can’t develop but we can recruit.
    What a sham

• Kent says:

Your first sentence does not make any sense.

• Woah says:

How many recruits won that gold cup? Maybe mixx?
      Stfu

• Samuel says:

Hey, France, where you may be from, is worse. They have Africa XI playing for their national team, yet nobody complains.

• CCJC says:

This. Take a look at France’s roster.

• chris says:

All those French players grew up playing in France. Apples to Oranges

• Samuel says:

Most those French players are African players as well because they could’ve chosen to play for their ancestral team.

• chris says:

But they spent most of their life in France……. Is it really that hard to understand?

• Samuel says:

What part of they are Africans as well isn’t understood?

• chris says:

Whats your point? Its not an ethnicity team its about nationality. All of these “African” players grew up playing for French teams in France. Trying to compare them to the American-Germans makes no sense. Apples to Oranges

• Samuel says:

My point is simple, they are Africans that could’ve played for African nations but chose to play for France an adopted country. In this case Aron is an American by birth. Hope you get it now.

• chris says:

You mean they are French players that chose the country that brought them in (most like Pogba, Nasri, Belhanda, Matuidi, Areola, Valbuena, Sagna, Rami, Mangala, Sakho, Grenier, Capoue, Lacazette, Gomis, Benzema, Varane……..the list goes on and on…… were born and raised in France) and gave them the platform to succeed as a soccer player.

It is the complete opposite of Johanassen

• chris says:

It is the complete opposite of Arons situation

• Lost in Space says:

They grew up in France because they knew they’d get better training in FRANCE then in their native/ancestrial countries in Africa. France has the infastructure to train and develop players.
          Germany, England, Mexico, etc….have better infastructure to train players than the USA. If US Citizens can train & develop there to improve their game who are we to deny them.

• BrianK says:

PFG,…there are other countries that benefit from dual-nationals,…like Germnay – Oszil, Kadhira, Podolski, Klose, Boateng,…

How about France? Many of their players from the ’98 WC winning team were dual nationals from African nations,…all I have to say is Zidane. Most recently they pursued Eden Hazard of Belgium. They also attempted to lure Matt Le Tissier from England years ago!

How about Holland? Many of their great players have been dual-nationals from former colonies,…Suriname mostly.

Take look at Belgium,…the best young team in world,….I am sure there are a number of Belgians who are dual- nationals.

• Dan says:

“We can’t develop but we can recruit.” I don’t understand.

Yet guys like Fabian, Jermaine, Terrence, Joe Corona , Edgar Castillo, Jose Torres all have a certain connection to the US. To be fair, most of these players are representing the US because they had no future for their first choice national team.
      I would also like to note that Joe, Edgar, and Jose are all American born and bred.
      Other players who were once considered for the USMNT are Michael Hoyos, Neven Subotic, Giuseppe Rossi, Arturo Alavarez just to name a few. These players grew up in the US and played youth soccer here in the US, although they went on to represent other nations.

• Lance says:

I get your point and mostly agree. The being born here thing is being misused all over the place. I’m not talking about Aron but in general. Aron is not an “anchor baby” and his parents did not deliver him here so that they could use him as a backdoor way of getting to stay here.

He does seem to have little tie to this country BUT does have more of a tie then the Germans. At least he has lived here some and was born here. For his sake, lets home he’s not the next Teal Bunbury or maybe even Rossi..that is cap tied to a country that doesn’t want him.

That being said, I still want to see US kids develop into talents that play for the NATs so that we can stop this recruiting from afar. I really don’t think we need to do as much recruiting as JK seems intent on doing… we have the talent here now

• Lost in Space says:

I’m sorry Lance but we do not “have the talent here Now.” We are 10-25 years away from the MLS producing consistent talent of the caliber that players developed elsewhere have. We are improving….but it takes time, commitment, and coaching.
        Time – MLS Acadamies have only been in existance for 5-10 years
        Commitment – MLS Owners still aren’t willing to fully fund the reserve teams. Most only play 10 matches a year. AYouth teams at academies only start at U-14
        Coaching – We need more ex-professionals, more ex-national teamers in the youth coaching ranks (down to U-8 and below) to properly teach the game to the youth of the nation.

• Scweeb says:

K but look at this USA has had MLS for how long? What other ways are players suppose to improve if not go over seas. Yes are development stinks right now but look at the time and resources we have. If my son show promise and wants to try and make it as a pro of course i am going to see if i can send him over seas were he can get better training. But does that mean my son wouldn’t be american?

7. Alex CO says:

Slowleftarm, you might as well quit while the hole you dug is getting deeper with each comment you make. Furthermore, stubbornly defending something you falsely said doesn’t make it true. Quit Now!

8. MikeG says:

Subotic. I remember the uproar about Subotic. I put the whole situation with Subotic on Rongen’s shoulder’s. Johannsson is eye balling WCQ and the WC. It will not be the only time we lose another US citizen talent. It will not be the only time we gain another US citizen who is a dual national. Dual nationals have to pay US tax depending on the amount earned. US citizen’s abroad can choose either Foreign Tax Credit or Exclusions from Income (97.600.00 and less). Foreign tax Credit is probablly best. Have to ask Gooch and Jones.

• Mason says:

Seeing as Iceland’s income tax is 46.22% in his tax bracket (739,510 ISK ~ 6,201USD), I bet he takes the foreign tax credit.

• MikeG says:

Most countries in Europe are social democracies. The ‘social’ part comes from really high taxes. Some countries are known for welfare systems from cradle to grave (Germany). Most of those countries have a weak military because of the welfare social system they have. They have a Value Added Tax (VAT) too. Prices for food is high in Euros. Gas in liters? High prices.

• Travis in Miami says:

If only this was not a soccer blog…

• Mason says:

What does European Social Policy have to do with the price of tea in China? I was only commenting on the US tax implications of Iceland’s high tax rate to his US tax bill.

Gas in liters doesn’t necessarily mean high prices. High taxes and lack of fuel subsidies mean high prices. Petrol states (Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, Russia to an extent) have low prices even though they price in liters.

9. Jumbo says:

“they took our jobs!!!!”

10. chris says:

He’s European so the playing time guideline will conviently not apply. I bet this dude somehow starts vs Bosnia

11. John says:

You xenophobes are cracking me up! He is an American citizens, bottom line. I love the ‘he is just coming here to raise his profile and cash in’ argument. That might be part of the case, but ultimately it is a win-win. Guess what? If he does his job and raises his profile, then he will help our USMNT raise its profile, win games, and inspire other AMERICAN kids to play the beautiful game in future generations. AJ is taking a big chance by doing making this move and we should be supportive of anyone that wants to wear our colors and call themselves an American. The haters need to stop being so short sighted and jingoistic. This is good news!

12. PFG says:

It’s so sad that having the most kids playing soccer than any country in the world the USNT fans still blow their load every time another mercenary decides to play here.

13. MLSsnob says:

Finally, a true quality player that makes more for Giusipiee “turn coat” Rossi.

• chris says:

And you determined his quality in the 5 games hes played in the Nethelands?

• Paul Miller says:

Johannson makes up for Rossi? Really? Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves on this kid. Interesting prospect, but that’s about all we can say right now.

14. Steevens says:

To slowleftarm and those making similar comments:

How about I just define a connection to the USA as tenuous/non-existent for every single person whose lineage does not exclusively contain people who lived and worked in the USA (or same territories prior to USA being established) their entire lives?

Oh, that would be irrational?

Oh, YOU wouldn’t be “American” by that definition either?

Aron and JAB have every right to play for the USMNT by all rules governing the sport, and all laws governing the USA. If they can earn a roster spot based on their performance and can improve the team that should make any true USMNT fan happy.

• PFG says:

That’s not the point. All these player didn’t decide to play for the US because of their love for the country. Most of them don’t even speak English.
      They picked the US because it’s convenient for them personally.
      They can be as American as legally possible but If they’ve had a better offer they’d be packing their bags as quickly as they can.
      They’re mercenaries.

• Paul Miller says:

Dude, you can ask the same question about any player on the USMNT. Are they there because they want to represent their home nation with pride? Or are they there because they want to play in a World Cup? Who knows?

• Clyde Frog says:

Exactly. And putting players through some kind patrotic litmus test might fly in Pyongyang, but ot shouldn’t fly in the US.

• Kent says:

As Harrison Ford would say, “WHO GIVES A SH!T.”

Your idealistic notions are not based in reality. You need to grow up, my friend.

• Arsenal Please Buy Someone says:

PFG:

How do you know what their intention is? Do you speak with these foreign-based players on a regular basis, and know what went into their decision to play for the U.S.? I don’t think so, therefore you have to real right to judge their intentions.

Let’s take Aron’s case for example. Maybe his parents really enjoyed America, but didn’t have the finances to stay in the U.S. at the time. But, with that, they might have always wanted to come to the U.S. and stay here. So, they instilled in their son, Aron, how great it is here and the history of the country.

We don’t know what went into his decision, and when you guess what his intention is…well, you know what happens when you @ssume…

He is American by the country standards and that is all that matters in my book, and the founding documents of the country. These kinds of thoughts not only stop the growth of our soccer team, but the growth of the country intellectually.

• Doug209 says:

This is perfect. Playing for the USNT (mens or womens) should be about patriotism. Unless a player comes out and openly states they are only with us because that was all they could get then I would never assume about any players love of the country. We don’t know and to assume you know puts you on thin ice.

• Ken Salazar says:

That might make sense, but he played for Iceland U21. Sorry brah, next!

• 2tone says:

So is Landon Donovan a mercenary? Because he chose the US over Canada.

• Ken Salazar says:

You failed to mention that LD was born here, lived here most his life, had most of his professional career happen in the US, etc

• GW says:

PFG,

So you are saying these guys are mercenaries because they are going for the money?

If that doesn’t say American athlete I don’t know what does. Going for the dollar is as thoroughly American as apple pie.

Nothing says “”American athlete” like SHOW ME THE MONEY.

15. ASP says:

Maybe this make up for loosing Rossi

16. Dinho says:

I posted this in the other forum, but it is appropriate here, especially in light of the conversation above.

As someone who was born in South Africa and having moved to the United States as a 6 year old, I can understand his desire to play for the country of his birth. While at times I do feel more “American” than “South African,” I also feel a strong tie to my country of birth, especially still having family there.

And, I’ve only been back once (to get my green card) for about 10 days, so nothing close to training in Bradenton.

While I have no idea whether Aron still has family here…it is no surprise that he would feel comfortable and almost compelled to play for the United States, despite not having spent much time here since leaving.

Welcome, Aron!

• elgringorico says:

I was born in Belgium to American foreign servicemen and lived there until I was 2 years old. Do I consider myself Belgian? No, not even a little bit, and doing so would be an insult to actual Belgians.

This kid is 100% Icelandic in all ways that culture is defined. His parents are Icelandic, and he lived his whole life in Iceland.

Because of our citizenship laws, he is also a U.S. citizen. Frankly as a USMNT fan that is all I care about! All teams in the world do this, we are no better or worse than them. We must accept it is a soccer reality and be happy to have acquired such a strong young talent.

• Dinho says:

Well, I guess we agree to disagree. Perhaps it’s the lack of family there for you? Whatever the reason, we come to the same conclusion.

I’ve never seen the kid play, but I’m excited to see him from the comments I’ve heard.

• elgringorico says:

Just curious, are either of your parents South African? Yeah for me it was as simple as my parents were in X country when I was born. I have no Belgian family, I was only a baby when I lived there (just like Aron)

• Mason says:

Since you say you have no Belgian family, I’m assuming one of your parents was not Belgian. You were not eligible for Belgian citizenship due to Belgian nationality law*. Your situation is non-analgous.

*There was probably also a Status of Forces agreement in effect.

• Dinho says:

Yes, both of my parents are South African.

• elgringorico says:

Dinho, that is the difference!

And Mason, my situation is exactly the same as Aron’s except that I am not a citizen of the country I was born in, and he is. That’s the only difference: the law. The kid has no American family and was born to 2 Icelandic parents while they were temporarily living/studying in the U.S.

If for whatever reason Belgium’s laws were the same as the U.S., and I held Belgian citizenship, it would not change the fact that I am not Belgian.

• Dinho says:

Do you know Aron? Do you know he doesn’t have family here? These are serious questions. I’m not trying to be a d*ck.

• Mason says:

No… Your situation is not the same. Belgian nationality law didn’t give you Belgian citizenship, whereas American nationality law gave Aron citizenship. That’s the BIG DIFFERENCE. Citizenship isn’t a state of mind; it’s a state of law. Arguing that it is anything else is wrong.

• Patrick says:

At the end of the day being a a KID with dual nationality and being “bi-cultured” is a complicated thing. Subotić for example might really have liked to play for the US, but had the cultural quirk that you never take an insult…ever. So when he PERCEIVED that the US Soccer Federation disrispected him… off he went. Rossi was brought up in household that loved soccer at a time before the USMNT really took off and where he grew up hearing about legendary Azzurri players.

We don’t know what’s in this man’s head. Maybe when he was young kid he ribbed for being an “American” and not a real Icelander…we don’t know. And at the end of the day its just football, not life or death, if this makes him happy more power to him.

• Mason says:

The problem for Rossi is that he’s living his father’s dream. I doubt he’d ever say it, but he might wake up after his run is through, having been blocked by injury and Balotelli, and say,”Damn… If I’d played for the US, I would have played in three World Cups. At least I had a good club career.”

• GW says:

Mason,

Maybe that’s what you think but we really have no idea what he thinks. He seems very happy with his choice.

Even if he had declared for the US it’s clear he is injury prone so there is every chance he would have missed those World Cups.

17. Goalscorer24 says:

The kid still has to make the team, fit in with the guys etc… I don’t see the problem. If he clicks and makes the team then great, he belongs.

18. AcidBurn says:

Enough of the xenophobia, how about giving kudos to JK for bringing him into the fold? …and doing it in such a way that he can train with the US in two weeks and maybe even play if the paper pushers in Zug get around to filing some papers?

JK – Like a BOSS

• chris says:

Why? Do you want to give him a medal? Did you go out of your way to give kudos to Bradley for cap tying Jones and Agudelo?

• HoboMike says:

Um…. I did.

• GW says:

chris,

And if he did or did not give kudos to BB so what? What does that have to do with JK successfully recruiting Aron?

This current USMNT is almost 100% guys first capped by BB.

Care to tell me what they proves?

• The Imperative Voice says:

To complicate your argument somewhat, there could be a bandwagoning effect — which JK could also claim — which would not be purely about his recruiting powers. Everyone wants to play for Alabama or LSU in college football these days, so to speak. If your form erodes does the pipeline dry up?

An aspect of this may also be the ability to play for JK. That would reflect less on whether he’s good or bad per se and more that he is who he is.

Last, I would feel more comfortable with the big picture situation if he recruited/found us some more backs.

19. Patrick says:

*Shrug*

For the Iceland FA and the folks who are not comfortable with this…the Sith Lord in this play has a name….it’s Jozy Altidore.

What do you think he spent the last year doing on those bus trips from Dutch town to Dutch town?: A) Reminding Johnnsson he looks GREAT in a “Roll Tide” T-shirt and…

B) Saying something like..”Join us young Padawan!! Lord Klinsman has built well on the work of Darth Bradley and Arenas! Decades of warfare against Mexico has made us Strong! Soon we will shed our cloak of cute soccer underdog nation! And the Europeans and South Americans still suspect nothing, they won’t head the warnings of Mexico and the rest of Central America! Our agents have spread to AS Roma, Tottenham, Puebla,Tijuana and particularly the Bundesliga to learn all the ways of the fútbol force! You and I could form a great tip for the Dark Side’s 4-4-2. You know this to be true!”

20. BKBOOGER says:

Everyone really needs to chill. He was born in the US, which makes him a US citizen and thereby eligible to play for the US. Like in economics, its not only the GDP which counts – it’s also the GNP (Gross National Product). We live in a great nation which attracts a wide variety of professionals from around the world and disperses quite a few to remote corners as well (not to mention the military industrial complex). This is a competitive advantage folks! Anyway, nowadays all these kids grow up with the same pop culture anyway

• The Adjective Police says:

cosigned.

• Left Wing says:

This post deserves more props. Beating everyone at their own game. If you wanna get patriotic passionate go for the macro and indication of the global theatre.

21. Roman Lewandowski says:

Sidney Sam announced his commitment to Nigeria, and FIFA reportedly had completed 2/3 of the paperwork to finalize the switch. Then he found a callup to Germany’s C-team too appealing to pass up.

On an unrelated note, half of the people using some derivative of the word “xenophobia” on this board have a foggy idea of what it means.

22. Patrick says:

I’m fine with this, but I don’t blame the Iceland FA for being pissed. There are less than 350,000 people on Iceland. NYC has more people in Queens! Sure Belgium has a golden generation right now, but with 11 million people it is a little easier. Even with Iceland’s ridiculously high Human Development Index scores, with a Fertility rate of 2.02 there is a real limit on how many talented kids you can find.

The Iceland FA’s attitude had to be like: Dear USMNT…there are probably 6,000 kids in the suburbs of Dallas and Chicago ALONE that could be as talented as this guy… get your Behind out the door and find them!!…don’t snag from our limited talent pool!”

23. Samuel says:

I hope he remains with Iceland… so this thread would end.

• Bob Saget says:

I’m really torn. I want great players for the USMNT, but this stupid-a$$ debate needs to end.

24. Mikebsiu says:

It would be funny if this guy plays 1 game for the US and never plays again.

25. Vic says:

I was born in Ukraine and came over with my family when I was one year old. Lets say Ukraine was much better than USA in soccer and there were more financial opportunities to play for Ukraine. I would feel extremely guilty standing before a game and listening to the Ukranian national anthem if USMNT needed me. If I were a great player I could make plenty of money on the club level. I guess Johansson doesn’t feel any guilt and that’s his prerogative.

26. BOYD says:

Only in the US fans are proud of the players the recruit. Not the ones they develop, the ones they recruit. I gues that tells you all you need to know about our development system.

• Samuel says:

So, if Messi had decided to play for Italy instead of Argentina, do you really think Italy would’ve rejected him because they didn’t “develop” him? Let’s be realistic here. Somehow I feel you are anti-American.

• BOYD says:

No, but it would look badly on on Italy for not being able to develop their own talent.

• whoop-whoop says:

Then again…….. it could be argued that the most significant/important part of Messi’s development as a player occurred at Barcelona. Argentina apparently has no problem with this.

• louis z says:

the story goes that Spain wanted to give him and his family citizenship but they decline.

• John says:

Messi has Spanish citizenship. The story goes that Spain pressed Messi pretty hard to play for them years ago. Obviously he declined the offer.

• BOYD says:

…. And the players the US recruits are not Messi, they’re sloppy seconds.

• Samuel says:

I agree that was an extreme example, but I think it drove home the point. Besides, HE IS AN AMERICAN BY BIRTH. He did not choose to be born in the great US of A. If he can get a US passport and have free access to the US of A, then he can play for our national team of football, soccer, balompie, futebol, whatever you wanna call it.

• Victor says:

Well considering Johannson’s Iceland wanted him…I don’t think he’s sloppy seconds kid..nice try though

27. paulwp says:

Dear Ives,

please do not allow comments for any stories involving the recruitment of foreign nationals. For some reason, I feel compeled to read them and now I have a head ache.

28. paulwp says:

On a more practical note, I see AJ as an heir to Dempsey in the withdrawn forward role. not as much for competition with altidore, agudelo etc.

29. blokhin says:

I think part of the frustration being expressed is the (incorrect perception) that the US system is not producing enough talented homegrown players. Could more world-class players emerge from US given enough resources? Yes, of course. But, Jozy Altidore, Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, Howard, Dolo, Beasley all seem to be doing just fine for themselves and have had success in Europe.

I see no reason to hold the low rartw of conversion of US youth population into world-beating players against the Jones, Williams, Boyd, Johnson and Johanssons of the world. They’re Americans according to the legal definition-all that matters. Maybe the well of dual-national won’t be everlasting, but I’ll take US citizens who commit to USMNT (not Chandler) any day in any form

this is the new globally interconnected world we live in, Deal with it

30. Scruff says:

Im sure ghana didnt bring up the whole “is he really ghanaian?” When kevin prince boateng scored vs us in the WC.

31. Prescott says:

I’m confused as to why so many of the people posting here have such an angst against the chance of making our team better. I’m not saying that dual-nationals will make our team better, but if the player chooses to play for us then why would you be upset? Whether or not he grew up here, moved here and gained citizenship, or whatever the situation. I am baffled by the amount of hate towards the idea, after all isn’t our country a country of immigrants? Would you prefer that we only field a team of natives to this country? Because in that case you can throw out every single player on our team, and I understand the argument of he doesn’t have the same connection to the country as someone who grew up here and came from our development system, but really who are we to make assumptions about anyone’s connection to this country?

32. Adam M. says:

The thing that amazes me about attacks on immigrants — Aron not being an immigrant at all, of course — is that those on the attack can consider America the greatest example of a nation on Earth and at the same time deplore those who intentionally choose to associate themselves with it publicly. Aron is an American citizen who wants to represent the nation of his birth. Nothing more should need to be said about this that good luck, work hard, and go get some goals.

33. Bac says:

I honestly can’t believe some of the scrap I’m reading here…. for the first time in forever we have a squad and coach that multiple players want to be part of … and I log on to see this…
    What short memories some people must have…

Wendy’s has a new cheeseburger… I’m hungry

• GW says:

Wendy’s fries have gotten a lot better but really the chicken nuggets are the best thing on their menu.

• Nate Dollars says:

‘for the first time in forever we have a squad and coach that multiple players want to be part of’

LOLWUT

• Aaron says:

Thank you for posting something worth while in the middle of this boring conversation. I could definitely go for Wendy’s right now… Frosty is calling my name…

34. MikeG says:

Kudos and a big thank you to Jozy Altidore. I am sure he played a big part in recruiting/selling the USMNT to Johannsson. Iceland, we feel your pain. Our pain comes from Subotic and Rossi and perhaps some others. Iceland will go on strong.

35. 2tone says:

There will always be the few who are afraid of change. I can see that now with some comments in this thread.

For those who say that we are not developing talent well I guess Landon, Dempsey, Altidore, EJ, Gooch, Bocanegra, John Harkes, Tab Ramos( while not born in the US, developed his game from a young age in the US), Howard, Guzan, Keller, Friedel, Sanneh, Pope, McBride, Mathis, Wolf, John O’Brien, Bradley, SHea, Bedoya, Corona, Holden( developed in the US), Eddie Lewis, Eric Wynalda, Claudio Reyna, Charlie Davies and the list goes on weren’t produced in the US system were they? Oh that’s right all of these players were. here is a list of current talent that developed there games in the US: Lletget, Doyle, Okugo, Kitchen, Wood, Rowe, Gyau, Gatt, Junior Flores, Deandre Yedlin, Jordan Morris, Luis Gil, Shane O’Neill, Walker Zimmerman, Brian Iloski, Matt Miazga, Victor Pineda, Mario Rodriguez, Rubio Rubin, Marky Delgado, Ammando Moreno and the list is continuing to grow.

Your arguments are hyperbolic and completely wrong. Infuse some dual nationals and people get a little crazy. I for one am happy to have any player that wants to suit up for the USMNT and can help strengthen the overall depth. Aron, Boyd, Jones, Fabian, Williams, Brooks are all welcome in my mind. They are all Americans, they all want to help grow the USMNT, and they all have one common goal and that is to try to win a World Cup. We want you sick, your tired, your poor, and your “oppressed.”

Welcome to the USMNT Aron.

36. Brett says:

The core argument seems to be whether or not it’s more important to have a strong and deep team capable of winning an international tournament or to develop players in American soccer youth and professional systems and elevate those players through the ranks.

This is complete and total idiocy. International soccer is a team sport. Each nation has a player pool and they choose the strongest players from that pool. It is not about developing a network of rec. leagues and academies to develop a larger pool of players, and it’s not about forging some false notion that a piece of the ground makes you who you are.

There’s an American kid, Ben Lederman, born and brought up in the states, who plays and trains at the Barcelona youth academy right now. He’s never played any high-level organized soccer in the US. He probably won’t rise through the ranks to play in La Liga, but there’s a chance that when he leaves that program as a teenager he will be good enough to sign another developmental professional contract somewhere else. He may never kick a ball on American soil again. But are you going to deny him a chance to represent the USA because he didn’t roll the ball across the right patch of grass?

• Casey says:

I thought he plays with the U15s?

• Travis in Miami says:

I knew reading this thread would pay off. first the Jozy and the Sith Lord comment and now this. The arguments against are half cooked. I tried writing a FIFA type rule that would make the likes of Slowleftarm happy and…it’s impossible.

• Vic says:

Weak argument. Ben Laderman learned his soccer in USA. He was good enough to go to Barcelona for soccer reasons. His family didn’t move to Spain because his dad got a job or because they liked the country. If you move for soccer reasons you should represent the country that first developed you. That’s the moral thing to do.

• Brett says:

What did he learn int he USA? What a soccer ball looks like? What a goal is?

No significant development occurred on American soil and the majority of his skills will be developed by foreign systems. I just want to know what the cutoff is.

If Johannson had played with 6-year olds using those little fold-up goals would that make him “American enough” to play for us?

• Vic says:

So I guess any 12 year old kid could walk into the Barcelona U12 team and join? Since the best 12 year olds haven’t really developed any soccer skills yet?

• Brett says:

He trained with a Barcelona affiliate in LA (not an “American” system, but a foreign system located in a part of Northern Mexico now called California) and was discovered that way by La Masia at the age of 10. Any meaningful development to his game will have been done outside of the US system with exception to the US youth teams if he receives and accepts call-ups at that level. I think he has but I’m not sure, and in any case, he’s not in the residency academy so he’s not developing through that system, but rather the Barcelona system.

There is absolutely no question that when he becomes a professional his skills will be foreign-developed, and he will not have been a US resident for any of his most formative years as a player.

This discussion is good. I feel like we’re getting closer to finding the cutoff line. It’s not being born on US soil, because AJ meets that criterion. It’s not having American citizenship or lineage like JAB does. Apparently, playing in low-level rec. leagues (I call it “magnet ball” as the players just tend to chase the ball and don’t show positional discipline or teamwork) counts as “being developed by the American soccer system”. Any other dual nationals that wish to play for the US should make it a point to come as very young children and take part in loosely organized recreational leagues so that they can claim to be “American products”.

• Lost in Space says:

Lets simplify it to a USNT player must play 2 years of AYSO, in the contenental US, to qualify as American.

• Brett says:

Why 2 years as an arbitrary cutoff? I spent 2 years in New Zealand and I never felt more like a Kiwi than I did when I arrived. What if those 2 years are spent learning things that are then unlearned at the next level? Or spent playing the wrong position?

37. Kevin_Arnold says:

I’m going on vacation to Iceland on Thursday. Anybody want to overnite a custom made Johannsson USMNT shirt to me?

38. James says:

Suck It, Iceland!!

39. GretelNick says:

Dude, there goes my dream of seeing a USA-Iceland friendly in Reykjavik.

I love this. We’re a country built on the idea that recombination of new people, with their new ideas and perspectives, is better than doing the same old way with the same old people. Bring it on.

• PFG says:

Except that these are the same old ideas. Don’t develop players but troll the world looking for sloppy seconds.
      How about we try something different for a change?

• RB says:

So you want the US to turn away good, eligible players who want to play for the US because the US didn’t develop them?

40. Chicken Little says:

It’s a personal choice for these types of players. I’ve never begrudged Rossi or Subotic.

41. foot says:

Love it. This icelandic american will/has fit nicely with jozy. US needs more quality at striker. Looking forward to Aug 14

42. Jay Bonds says:

The better quality players chose to play elsewhere (Rossi, Subotic etc). This kid is average at best playing with other above average players, he’ll fit right in.

43. Ulysses says:

When Aron scores a hat trick against Mexico, you’ll all be cheering for him and USA.

44. Hush says:

Great for U.S soccer! Can’t wait to see him suit up.

I also can’t believe some of the comments on this board. If you feel a connection to the U.S then by all means viva la blue! .. Too many sensitive GI-joes on this board at times. The kid was born in Alabama for gods sake,.. he has that to deal with for the rest of his life, .. Takkke rrrr jooobs

45. M22 says:

Comment problems test

46. Mig says:

So I believe my IP can’t submit comments . No reason that I can fathom to be blocked, no notice of rejection or moderation. Anyone know the email of the web admin? Cheers!

47. Andy says:

When Aron turn 35, he’ll be eligible to run for President of the United States. There are plenty of players who have represented the USMNT in World Cups who would NOT meet that criteria.

Ergo, any discussion of him not being “American” enough are spurious and ridiculous.

• blokhin says:

the Manchurian Candidate…

• Ronster says:

Heck, he might be better than the Bozo GOP and Democrats! Love the chemistry and sense of purpose that has flourished the last couple months in the wake of the Brian Strauss article. Norweigian Americans, Scots-Americans, German-Americans, Mexican-Americans (Herc for VP!), Haitian-Americans, Anglo-Americans, African-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, Asian-Americans, Canadian-Americans, and now an Icelandic-American….why can’t we all get along? Bottom line – let’s see our country and US soccer programs grow and flourish in a more cooperative and purposeful manner without the suicidal sectionalism and back-biting in Washington, DC!

So much for my editorial!

48. Jacknut says:

Is there anything more American than going for the money and the glory? Right, Guiseppe?

49. recoveredamishman says:

50. What me worry? says:

Great news for the USMNT. I guess this is why strong performances in WC qualifying, international friendlies and the Gold Cup are important to building a better or at least deeper team. Wonder if we had done poorly the last 11 games if this kid would have chosen differently? Well done to JK and the team because the effects of their efforts thus far will have more important positive long term ramifications than just holding up a trophy. We are still losing some players who have th option to play elsewhere but we seem to be keeping more which is refreshing. Great time to be a soccer fan here in the USA. Now if the MLS All-Stars and Everton both win then I will be even happier.

51. Jacknut says:

You know who never gets any stick for being a “foreigner” on the USMNT: Holden. He was in double digits when he moved here.

52. Riggity says:

Bro looks like Kevin Bacon

53. Hush says:

I’m a bit upset over this… There should only be 21 pilgrims on our USMNT! … No Quakers as well! ..