The SBI Show: Episode 45 (talking USMNT Gold Cup squad, MLS Week 18, and more)

Landon Donovan, Marcelo

By IVES GALARCEP

The CONCACAF Gold Cup is just around the corner and with the U.S. Men’s National Team squad for the tournament now selected, it is time to discuss the squad on the latest episode of The SBI Show.

Episode 45 takes a look at the U.S. Gold Cup squad, and also discusses some injuries already being faced by the 23-man squad selected by Jurgen Klinsmann. The U.S. kicks off the Gold Cup on July 8th in Portland against Belize.

Co-host Garrett Cleverly and I also take a look back at the U.S. Under-20 National Team’s failed bid to advance out of the Under-20 World Cup group stages. The Americans crashed out last week after a 4-1 loss to Ghana, and we look back at just what went wrong and what we can blame the team’s poor performance on.

We also look back at a crazy Week 18 in MLS, including looks at some wild endings in the FC Dallas-Philadelphia and San Jose-LA Galaxy clashes.

Give Episode 45 of The SBI Show a listen after the jump:

What did you think of the show? Agree with our take on the Gold Cup squad? Starting to worry about Omar Gonzalez’s blunders?

This entry was posted in Featured, Podcasts. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The SBI Show: Episode 45 (talking USMNT Gold Cup squad, MLS Week 18, and more)

1. Mutt says:

Did I miss it or did you guys not make and post the much heralded third show of your three show week?

• Mister JC says:

They stated in the show that they were’t able to match their schedules. Hopefully this week they will officially begin the three-show weeks.

Regarding the guests, I think 2 or 3 guests a month would be a good balance. It gives us a chance to look forward to those occasions. Other than that, another excellent show, fellas!

2. Vic says:

Maybe time to start Cameron over Gonzales at CB. Luckily we’re ahead in qualifying so there’s time to experiment.

3. john says:

juan agudelo is at the revs ives

• Ives Galarcep says:

Yeah, brain fart on my part. The whole Revs playing Chivas USA and Agudelo’s injury coming out thing threw me for a loop.

4. QuakerOtis says:

Guests are good. Maybe have some of your writers do a quick 3-5 minutes segment every other show. All else fails, get Chelis to do an expose on the Goats.

• Johnny says:

Give readers, listeners an option to either listen to audio at one time or in segments based on topic. (e.g. for today’s show U20, gold cup, MLS)

• Nate Dollars says:

+1, love this idea (not chelis–the writer’s segment).

5. Chris says:

In response to the question posed to listeners: I like when you feature guests on the show, but I would suggest maybe not every show…for example, if you’re actually going to do three shows a week, perhaps you aim to feature a guest once a week.

6. Dainja says:

“I walk around town with the pound strapped down on my side, no frontin just in case I gotta smoke something!!”

Ives, gotta say big ups to everyone from BROOKLAWN for playing this anthem…there’s a reason why they call us BUCKTOWN.

7. Ando says:

Try to do guests on the Wednesday shows.

• TomG says:

What about pundits, Ives and Garrett? Why don’t you ever have Grant Wahl, Sciaretta, Leander or guys like that on?

8. Doug says:

I like the shows that run less than one hour and one guest a week is plenty IMO.

9. Neruda says:

Guests are great and I wouldn’t mind a guest every show. There are a lot of soccer pros for potential interviews.

10. matt in japan says:

you guys don’t need guests. The show is fine the way it is now ecxcept the cancelations.

I have that weekend preview clip. I just have to do the formating to send it.