The SBI Show: Episode 53 (Previewing USMNT-El Salvador, MLS Week 21, and more)

StuartHoldenStripes (ISIPhotos.com)

By IVES GALARCEP

The U.S. Men’s National Team begins the knockout rounds of the CONCACAF Gold Cup on Sunday with a match vs. El Salvador, and the latest episode of The SBI Show takes an in-depth look at the squad heading into that decisive clash.

Episode 53 of The SBI Show features our look at the U.S. team heading into the match, the challenges El Salvador should present, as well as some thoughts on the kind of crowd we should expect to see in Baltimore.

Co-host Garrett Cleverly and I also look ahead to MLS Week 21, and touch on some of the recent major moves from around the league. We also dive into the European soccer scene, with some thoughts on transfer rumors making the rounds..

Give Episode 53 of The SBI SHow a listen after the jump:

What did you think of the show? Agree with the lineup we projected for the USMNT against El Salvador? See the Seattle Sounders turning things around? Who do you see taking the big Sporting KC-Real Salt Lake clash?

This entry was posted in Podcasts, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to The SBI Show: Episode 53 (Previewing USMNT-El Salvador, MLS Week 21, and more)

1. Maykol says:

Idk why so many people preferred El Salvador to Honduras, did you guys watch group b at all? El Salvador and Haiti were the 2 best teams in the group. Honduras was not a dominant force in any of their matches

• Jrizzle says:

I watched every group match and Haiti was 3rd in group at best. El Slavador has talent but they they lack the discipline and smart play for a full 90. Honduras, USA and Costa Rica were the best with Honduras and the USA really standing out for me. El Salvador has amazing talent but they need some more maturity.

• Maykol says:

Honduras definitely didnt look good to me. They got lucky Haiti couldn’t finish any of their 10 chances against them. And the El Salvador game was more even with homduras having more possession but ESA with more chances. I’d say both panama and El Salvador and martinique were truly worthy of getting to the semi finals but definitely not Costa Rica or Honduras

2. Maykol says:

3. Maykol says:

And jaime alas was not called up to the gold cup squad, unless the coach adds him after this group stage.

4. Jim Foreit says:

Cut to the chase sooner, please. Discussions of weather in the NE not interesting.

• alabamafutbol says:

True facts

• elgringorico says:

For the record, I disagree, and like the banter and conversational tone.

• AcidBurn says:

+1. Also like the conversational tone, makes it more enjoyable to listen to.

For the guy who complained, what a travesty that you wasted one whole minute of your life listening to Ives & GCAZ complain about the weather.

On a whole they discuss a whole lot of soccer, are opinionated, and put up 2 and a half shows a week. I’ll sit through 2 minutes of Ives going on his love for jack & coke or the “5 best cities to go out in” for the quality of soccer commentary and occasional rant.

• Mister JC says:

Agreed. I just love the style of this show…

5. Ah says:

One man’s opinion: love touching on international stories. Thought the quick segment on European transfers was about right. For more in depth coverage, there are plenty of other podcasts that do it.

For me, the best segment was about the Colombian league and the MLS connections there. That’s the kind of stuff that I haven’t heard on American soccer shows a lot and its really interesting. More of those types of segments would be great.

6. Ah says:

Also, did you seriously like World War Z? Questionable.

7. Tyler says:

Ives were you eating during the webcast? Sloppy…

• RB says:

Ha — I must say I’ve wondered the same thing on occasion (on different episodes). Or at last drinking something and getting caught by surprise by a quicker-than-expected turnaround from Cleverly (who has mentioned Ives pounding Red Bulls in the wee hours of the tapings).

Very enjoyable show, though — thanks! You guys were asking for more feedback: my only ongoing question is whether this length 3 times a week is the optimal fit. I mean maybe this length twice a week of shorter but still 3 a week would slightly improve the result (while also being easier on you)?

• Ives Galarcep says:

I’m usually chugging away on water or some other beverage to stave off the heat in my office (I have turn off the AC during recordings so it can get pretty warm).