Soccer Thursday: Your Running Commentary

SpainConfeds (FIFA)

By JUSTIN FERGUSON

After an exciting Wednesday, the 2013 Confederations Cup rolls on it Brazil with a doubleheader of Group B action.

Wednesday’s Confederations Cup action was highlighted by a thrilling 4-3 contest between Japan and Italy. The odds makers are predicting more goals in today’s first match—but they will all come from one side.

In one of the most lopsided matchups in major tournament history, the undisputed No. 1 team in the world, Spain, will send a reserve side to face off against a Tahiti squad that boasts an almost all-amateur roster. Tahiti, who captured the world’s attention with a shocking goal in their opener against Nigeria, has around 500-1 odds to pull off what could possibly be the biggest upset in soccer history.

The second match of the day, Nigeria vs. Uruguay, promises to have more balance. The Super Eagles of Nigeria are coming off a 6-1 win over Tahiti while Uruguay tries to stay alive in the competition after struggling in a 2-1 loss to Spain.

Finally, the USWNT takes on South Korea in the second of two friendlies, with Abby Wambach just two goals away from Mia Hamm’s record of 158 goals.

If you will be watching today’s action, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions and some play-by-play in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action (Today’s TV schedule is after the jump):

3pm – ESPN/ESPN3 – Spain vs. Tahiti

6pm – ESPN/ESPN3 – Nigeria vs. Uruguay

7:30pm – NBC Sports Network – U.S. WNT vs. South Korea

This entry was posted in Confederations Cup, Featured, FIFA, International Soccer, Your Running Commentary. Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to Soccer Thursday: Your Running Commentary

1. SanFran415 says:

Alarming news out of Brazil–Spain’s national team was robbed during their last match. Their hotel was burgled and money/items were taken.

Security is so bad that the teams themselves are being robbed during an 8 team tournament?

• Old School says:

Was it Sepp Blatter?

He has a tendency to countries of various things.

• SanFran415 says:

lol!

Great visual.

• Old School says:

Whoops, I meant:

“He has a tendency to steal various things from countries.”

Alright, I need to stop posting from work. My posts are becoming even more ridiculous than the norm, because that post made sense to me at the time.

• Nate Dollars says:

alarming? i don’t know, i feel like this happens every tournament. and it’s brasil.

• Chaca says:

Nothing alarming about it. It happened to me in Vegas and Houston.

2. Dinho says:

Scary how good Spain’s “B” squad is.

3. run says:

2nd minute… still tied

4. SanFran415 says:

Ridiculous.

Spain’s B team might be top 5 in the world.

• Kodi says:

Spain’s backups….ya know Juan Mata, Fernando Torres, Santi Cazorla, etc…sheesh.

• Sam says:

Yeah, if their national team consisted of their B team, they might not even qualify. Did you see the standing of their group?

• Brett says:

This A team/B team stuff is absurd when you look at a country like Spain. The hierarchy comes down to training, form, and manager’s choice. With our team there are certain players that make huge differences in quality, Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore–clearly A squad players, so we have a clear depth chart. Spain doesn’t. They simply have about a dozen world class players and a score more that are knocking on the door. They’ve got a B team, but you haven’t seen them yet because their A team is 30 players deep.

• Brett says:

This A team/B team stuff is absurd when you look at a country like Spain. The hierarchy comes down to training, form, and manager’s choice. With our team there are certain players that make huge differences in quality, Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore–clearly A squad players, so we have a clear depth chart. Spain doesn’t. They simply have about a dozen world cl@ss players and a score more that are knocking on the door. They’ve got a B team, but you haven’t seen them yet because their A team is 30 players deep.

5. SanFran415 says:

There it is–took 4 minutes.

6. run says:

I guess I’m curious to see what it would look like for my club team to take on Spain… even if it is “only” their B-team. Tahiti can only hope to have some fun. If they manage score, what a story to tell.

7. bryan says:

20 minutes, only 1-0. Tahiti doing better than i thought they would.

8. Kodi says:

I want to see Tahiti score bad bad!

9. SanFran415 says:

I like the Tahiti story too, but the commentators need to relax and be more objective. A guy makes a 40 yard run and then easily has the ball taken away in the middle of the pitch and they go crazy about their character.

10. SanFran415 says:

Haha David Villa death stare at Torres for not passing to him wide open on the break.

11. Mig says:

Men v Boys
    Christians v Lions
    NSA v Privacy

Each of the above is more even contest than this one.

12. SanFran415 says:

It looks like Spain is trying to keep this respectful, but not be insulting by not trying.

• Sam says:

Do you actually think that they are not trying? How naive are you? If Spain could have score 50 goals, they would have. This is business. There goal is to win and nothing less.

13. QuakerOtis says:

4 – 0 in the 39th minute. Yawn.

14. SanFran415 says:

Juan Mata is trying flying scissor kicks now. I love the Tahiti story, but this is emb@rrassing for all the teams involved. They shouldn’t be anywhere near this tournament.

They could have 15 goals already and it’s more upsetting to watch Spain basically try to not score or do things they’d never think of trying normally simply to keep this in hand.

15. SanFran415 says:

Jesus Navas looks like a skinnier David Gandy.

16. SanFran415 says:

Is Navas the fastest player in the world?

• Old School says:

Truthfully, I’d put my money on Ronaldo.

That dude is a f..king race horse.

• SanFran415 says:

Probably. He’s really really fast.

Would love to see a scientific comparison of some sort.

• bryan says:

there is a documentary on the science behind why Ronaldo is so good.

“Cristiano Ronaldo: Tested To The Limit”

• SanFran415 says:

I saw part of one on him where people took corners and crosses to him and turned the lights off immediately when the ball was hit and he still made the run and headed the ball into the goal without being able to see anything.

• bryan says:

i believe that is this one.

• Bac says:

That entire show was sick… I couldn’t believe the tests they came up with, then how well he did.. no matter how arrogant he is, you gotta give him his props after watching that thing

• bryan says:

agreed. and honestly, CR isn’t as arrogant as people think. there was another documentary on Ronaldo, which the title is escaping me now, but it really gives you a good look at him, as a person, off the field. i would have never realized he was a nerdy kid from a small Portuguese island with a funny accent that people made fun of.

also, found a good movie on Netflix called “Hermano.” completely off topic, but a good soccer movie.

17. Clyde Frog says:

Tahiti’s games pretty much ensure that this will be the highest scoring FIFA int’l tournament in a long time. But even discounting Tahiti this tournament is averaging over 3 goals a game – well above recent FIFA tourneys, I believe.

18. SanFran415 says:

This is freaking embarr@ssing.

Change the rules so a team like this never ruins another tournament.

19. Gnarls says:

It’s a Tahitian blood bath. Not that I expected differently, but it’s just sad to watch now.

• Kodi says:

Yeah I’m feeling bad for them. They are gassed. The image of the keeper just laying there in disgust with himself after missing that ball.

• Rowsdower says:

I don’t feel bad…. If that was me I wouldn’t care if they scored 100 on me. I would love every minute of the slaughter just the chance to play Spain in meaningful tournament. Granted as a fan it is tough to watch but I wager it is a dream come true for these amateurs.

• Sam says:

I do not feel bad for them either. They are having a blast, They will I’m sure get some brazileras after all is said and done.

20. SanFran415 says:

Huge dive by the Tahiti player.

That is not how you want to be remembered!

21. SanFran415 says:

Pathetic.

David Silva didn’t even smile when he scored. This is a joke.

22. RK says:

What a stupid post on twitter: SiriusXM FC ‏@SiriusXMFC 1m
    Should #Spain have taken out their stars by now?

Um, they’ve used their subs, and what exactly is on their bench? Scrubs?

• bryan says:

wow. that’s a terrible tweet. Spain DID bench, essentially, their entire first team for this game! so their “stars” were out. and like you said, you only get 3 subs…

23. Amru says:

If I was told I got to play against the likes of torres, David Villa, David Silva, etc… I wouldn’t care what the score line was, I’d just be thrilled to play.

24. SanFran415 says:

27 shots to 1.

25. Joamiq says:

Even though they weren’t playing in top gear, that was still kind of mean…

26. Ted M. says:

through two games Tahiti has matched Mexico’s goal tally: one.

27. Sam says:

Uruguay is just not that good. The game might be tied but they are just playing terrible. They are 5th in their group in qualfying at the moment and play Peru in Peru next. I rather see Peru get that 5th spot than Uruguay.

28. Sam says:

Urugauy beating a depleted Nigeria. They will get killed by Brazil who just does not look at good as they did 4 years ago.

29. Citronomics says:

Fwiw – Abby Wambach breaks the all time goals scored record in ladies national team play, surpassing Mia Hamm. And of course it’s a header.

Whether ya care or not about our USWNT, a superb achievement and f***ing earned as she definitely puts in on the line.

• wfrw07 says:

She did it in 67 fewer games at a time I would argue the women’s game is much stronger than in Mia’s day.

Incredible achievement no doubt.

• Kosh says:

+ 1

Watching the game right now. HISTORY!!

30. yea mon says:

Saint Kitts & Nevis would dominate in the OFC!