SBI MLS Rookie of the Week: Andrew Farrell

Andrew Farrell

Photo by ISIPhotos.com

By DAN KARELL

The Los Angeles Galaxy were shut out for the second time in three games in a 5-0 defeat last Sunday, largely due to the play of New England Revoluton right back Andrew Farrell.

Farrell shut down the likes of Landon Donovan and Gyasi Zardes up top, as well as the overlapping runs by midfielders along the wings, and assisted on the Revolution’s fifth goal of the match, earning Farrell SBI MLS Rookie of the Week honors.

Honorable mention for this week’s award goes to the Seattle Sounders’ DeAndre Yedlin, the Colorado Rapids’ Dillon Powers, and the Columbus Crew’s Chad Barson.

What did you think of Farrell’s performance? Which rookie impressed you the most in MLS Week 14?

This entry was posted in Featured, Major League Soccer, MLS- New England Revolution, SBI MLS Rookie of the Week. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to SBI MLS Rookie of the Week: Andrew Farrell

1. 2tone says:

Bright future for him if he stays as a RB. I tend to think he should be a DM, but he has looked pretty good at RB.

RB won’t be a problem for the USMNT next WC cycle i.e. Chandler, Yedlin, Farrell.

• baquito alyeska says:

Agreed that he deserves a run out at DM. I really like watching this guy play. For me, he takes all the ill-advised risks a rookie should avoid and still gets away with most of it. Very promising rook.

• Adam says:

Mmm, I don’t know. I’ve been watching him all season (lifelong Revs fan) and his service in the opponent’s half is spotty at best. I imagine that will get better as he continues to adjust to the pace of the pro game, but at least for the moment, he is where he belongs. He just needs to recognize that he should lay the ball off short once he crosses the center line.

2. Branden says:

Is Jonathan Osorio not considered a rookie?

3. bold says:

Anthony Arena for the dynamo was thrown into his first mls minutes against the crew and a very dangerous attack and didn’t even blink. Maybe not worthy of rookie of the week. But worth a mention.

4. Falls City Outlaw says:

I’m completely biased in this, but way to go Andrew! Love me some Louisville Cardinals Soccer. #L1C4