Mexico vs. Jamaica: Your Running Commentary

MexicoJamaicaLogos

By DAN KARELL

The Mexico Men’s National Team only has to look back four years to recall a familiar situation.

With just three points from their first three matches (one win and two losses) in 2010 World Cup qualification, El Tri entered began three-match June schedule with an embarrassing loss at El Salvador, before rounding off five straight wins to ease into qualification for South Africa.

This time around, with the team struggling to win games and find goal scorers not named Javier Hernandez, they will step into “The Office” in Kingston, Jamaica tonight (9:30pm, Telemundo), to face a Jamaica side with their backs against the wall.

Neither Mexico or Jamaica has won a match in the HEX after three rounds, making tonight’s match a vital one for both side. A loss for either team would put them in the basement of the qualifying group after four matches, leaving just six matches to turn things around.

If you will be watching tonight’s match, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions and some play-by-play in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action (A closer look at tonight’s match can be found after the jump):

JAMAICA vs. MEXICO

TV: 9:30pm, Telemundo

Last Time Out: Mexico draw at home with the United States, 0-0, while Jamaica fell in Costa Rica, 2-0. Mexico and Jamaica met in the first match day of the Hexagonal round, drawing 0-0 in Estadio Azteca last February.

The Matchup: Mexico are searching for goalscorers not named Javier Hernandez, who has had to carry an entire nation on his shoulders while teammates around him continue to misfire. Aldo de Nigris and Raul Jimenez were added to the squad, while experienced veterans Andres Guardado and Giovani Dos Santos should either provide service into the box or manage to score goals themselves. Jamaica is desperately in need of goals too, with Simon Elliott scoring the lone goal in three qualifying matches. Playing at home should give them a boost, as well as an in-form Ryan Johnson and Darren Mattocks up top, giving them speed and strength through the channels.

This entry was posted in CONCACAF, International Soccer, World Cup Qualifying. Bookmark the permalink.

109 Responses to Mexico vs. Jamaica: Your Running Commentary

1. bryan says:

looking forward to watching this game. ideally, i would think US fans want a draw. keep Jamaica at 3 points, last place, and that would only allow Mexico to get up to 4 points. yes, that would put them into the massive 4 point tie right now, but everyone else would have a game in hand.

2. bryan says:

looking forward to watching this game. ideally, i would think US fans want a draw. keep Jamaica at 3 points, last place, and that would only allow Mexico to get up to 4 points. yes, that would put them into the m@ssive 4 point tie right now, but everyone else would have a game in hand.

3. Jason B says:

Lets go reggae boys! I would just love for Mexico to not qualify. I’m tired of that teams antics…. It seems they always win by flopping free kicks/penalties or some other drama. I expect the same tonight…..

4. Zztoppppp says:

I would love to see a brace from Ryan Johnson for a 2-1 Jamaica win, but I don’t foresee that happening :(

5. Cairo says:

I prefer a Mexico win, so that Jamaica feels great pressure to open things up and go for the victory against the US. If Jamaica beats El Tri, then they may be satisfied bunkering and getting a point from the US. Either way, though, the short turnaround for the Reggae Boys is a break for the USMNT. Let’s hope they can build on the offensive performance vs. Germany

• beto says:

very true.. i would think that Jamaica really wants to get 2-4 points out of these two home games and if they start out with 3 there is little to no incentive to “go for it” in the second game vs. the USA. I would much rather play a Jamaica team looking for a win than one that is content with a low scoring draw (a la the Jamaica team we faced 2x back in September)

• sdt says:

You shouldn’t bunker down when you need your 3 points from home

6. Danny Santos says:

Lets go Jamaica! I love seeing Cheech’s pouty face.

7. Pablo Barrerra says:

Hi guys,

Can I play tonight? Because I did get a straight red against Nigeria. Or is it just a suspension for the next friendly?

Gracias,
    Pablito

• ... says:

As far as I know, red cards in friendlies do not carry any suspensions. You’re just out for the match you got carded in.

8. GW says:

Rooting for Mexico.

A Jamaican win leaves the US having to face two really desperate teams.
    A draw leaves both teams desperate and dangerous though not quite as much.
    A Mexican win puts Jamaica’s hopes on life support and leaves the US one less team to worry about.

Mexico is likely to qualfiy regardless so lets get this over with.

• Kevin_Amold says:

After game 1 of the hex, I’d totally agree with you. If Mexico is still winless after game 4….? I’d think that alarm bells might start sounding.

• wfrw07 says:

You could also argue that if Jamaica loses, and knows that Friday night is do or die, their motivation could be ramped up even further. Something about a wounded animal being most dangerous.

Ultimately, they are a pretty professional side, so injuries or suspensions aside, I think we will get a similar effort regardless of tonight’s outcome.

• Judging Amy says:

Yeah, if Jamaica loses they are just as likely to be mentally in a do or die mode, than an oh well, guess it’s over, mode.

US qualifies regardless even with all of GW’s sissy wringing of hands scenarios (j/k man), might as well see our biggest rivals suffer a little.

9. Ben says:

Will the USMNT attend the game tonight? Probably to risky security wise right?

• beto says:

they are in town.. I would put them up at the game if I was in charge. What better game to watch than the team you are about to play vs your greatest rival..

• Would the Jamaican Federation have any right to not allow them in? I imagine it would definitely be advantageous for the USMNT to be there and see the game live and would love to see them do it, but could Jamaica keep them out?

10. sly says:

As the only Jamaica fan on here I wish for 4-1 and a resulting Mexican implosion in the papers next day. Our only reasonable hope is the 4th place then battle New Zealand (how we got in last time). We have a ton of talented players all over MLS and Europe. A world cup berth would inspire the next generation.

Mattocks/Johnson/Shelton should if all goes well terrorize this team. Then take the boost and do the same to the US.

11. Scott e Dio93 says:

Death to mexico!

12. Don't care says:

I noticed Andre Blake from UCONN made the WCQ squad for Jamaica. The kid has some real potential. College ball isn’t as bad as some want to make it out to be. It continues to develope and attract better talent every year.

13. Pedro Limon says:

I see most of you so called USMNT fans are really hoping for a mexico loss or tie…
    Come on people ! That is sad.. I would be more worried about the U.S. qualifying.
    I’m Mexican and 100% El Tri fan and I don’t care if the U.S win, tie or loses or any other team in the region for that matter. The one thing I will guarantee along with all the mexico supporters is we win tonight in Kingston Jamaica and go on to qualify…

• alabamafutbol says:

We want to not only qualify but win the qualifying group. Should be obvious how Mexico drawing tonight helps us win the group, but anything other than 3 pts for Mexico looks increasingly unlikely

• Ben says:

I’m not so sure you speak for many El Tri fans. There are plenty that enjoy US losses, and let’s not pretend otherwise.

• Pedro Limon says:

Yea but your talking about Mexican Americans I’m talking about Mexicans from mexico .. The mexico fans are just worrying about mexico qualification and that’s it I don’t care if the US qualify to the WC or not.
        I was really surprised to here not just usmnt fans but other fans from the region just hating on mexico. Let me ask you a question does mexico losing make the usmnt any better or does it make the usmnt fans feel better just because they have had a bad era with jurgan k ?

• chg says:

Mexican-Americans cheer for the US, though some Mexicans living in the US do not.

• Luis says:

Wrong…I’m Mexican American and will NEVER cheer for the US and quite frankly, don’t know of any others who cheer for the US here in Austin…stop kidding yourself.

• Nate Dollars says:

“Let me ask you a question does mexico losing make the usmnt any better or does it make the usmnt fans feel better just because they have had a bad era with jurgan k ?”

mexico losing will always make me feel better, no matter what.

• bryan says:

clearly you don’t understand the American sport mentality. have you ever heard a Yankees fan cheer for Boston? have you ever heard a Dodger fan cheer for the Giants? Redskins cheer for Cowboys? not. a. chance.

this is the sport mentality in the US. there is no mercy for your fiercest rival. even if the Lakers were out of the playoffs, you think their fans are going to cheer for Boston if the Celtics were still in? nope. there is no benefit to the Lakers, but they still want to see the Celtics lose.

that’s just how it is. and that mentality carries over into soccer. now, most fans also realize that while it’s fun to berate your rivals, it won’t change your team and that should remain your focus.

14. beto says:

so if Mexico loses this game do they make a manager change before the confed cup?

I doubt they change a manager after 7 draws but two points out of two games vs Jamaica might do it.. Chepo better have his squad ready to fight!

15. Don't care says:

Sparkin’ my J in Jamaican fashion. About to watch mexico lose!

16. Mister JC says:

I want Jamaica to win so 1) they can use this boost to help them reach the World Cup, and 2) make Mexico sweat some more, increasing the pressure on them to get better results. The last 3 rounds of the Hex should be a lot of fun…

17. USsoccerfan90 says:

This Jamaican attack looked threatening in the Azteca in Feb. they just could not finish. This Mexican team has not looked too good in qualifying so far.

18. JSmiley says:

Best result for any team above two other teams in a group is for those two teams to draw. For the USMNT, a draw makes it less likely that Jamaica or Mexico passes them in the standings. Also, a draw would dampen Jamaica’s confidence going into Friday, especially if Mexico scores late to get the draw. And Mexico dropping more points is always good.

Actually, it’s a win-win-win situation for the USMNT. Any result will have some good consequences. Draw has more good consequences, I think.

The schedule for this stretch of games is good for the USMNT. Jamaica has to play US on three days rest, Mexico has to go to Panama on three days rest, Panama has to come to US after what is probably their biggest emotional game.

19. Justin says:

I know the game is on telemundo, but I don’t see channel 406 as a channel that’s even available. anyone else have this issue? Any good suggestions on where to watch online?

20. bizzy says:

Jamaica is looking Dangerous…..wow, the Hex is truly up for grabs

• Beto says:

Jamaica keeps making good plays to get into the final third but keep finding themselves in a 2 vs 5 match up; Mexico playing strong&composed defense

21. bizzy says:

Chicharito can’t complete a good pass to save his life……

22. Beto says:

Chicaro off the post; El Tri turning it up with 10 mins to go in the first half

23. SanFran415 says:

Mexico looks completely lost. What happened to these guys?

• Beto says:

Play very conservative right now.. As soon as they feel comfortable in midfield they will send the fb’s up..

• bizzy says:

…I know!!!! Jamaica is running the show….wow

• SanFran415 says:

For real. Jamaica is just running them off the pitch. Mexico’s best chance was a 25 yard hit off target by Chicharito of all people.

24. Darn all those French classes, my Spanish is very limited, but watching the game. Are they playing on artifical turf? I remember the pitch in The Office looking like our back yard in the summer.

25. sly says:

Mccleary playing well. Nice bit a skill he’s displaying one on one.

26. Brad says:

No goals in another half of play, will surely get in the heads of El tri.

27. downintexas says:

41 min 0-0

28. WiscFan says:

Did not see a 0-0 Half coming.

29. USMNT Fan says:

Mexico looked much better against the USMNT.

30. downintexas says:

Mexico with the slight edge over Jamaica, in possession and corner kicks

31. Pace says:

Does anyone know what happened to Rodolfo Zelaya? I remember him tearing things up in the gold cup 2 years ago, and then moving to Russia. What is his status?

32. Beto says:

GOAL De Nigris

33. SanFran415 says:

Of course Jamaica just falls apart. Well this all but eliminates them from WCQ.

34. Beto says:

Big saves by Corona!

35. Chicago Josh says:

Two sharp saves in a row by Corona. Dios Mio!

36. downintexas says:

54 min goal Mexico 1-0

37. Scott e Dio93 says:

Jamaica!!! Reggea Boyz destroy el tri!

38. JSmiley says:

I think Jamaica has a goal in them.

39. Chicago Josh says:

50/50 ball straight up in the air with about four seconds of hang time…and no Jamaican challenges. Pathetic effort.

40. Beto says:

Ricketts with another big save! Noone is complaining about lack of action in this game

41. petedx says:

So why does Carlos Vela not get called up/refuse to play for Mexico again? Is it all about that party he threw that time?

• Chuck says:

Doesn’t want to risk his club spot. Gets slammed by the press and coach all the time. Wouldn’t be a sure starter.

Also, they once scheduled his return to the NT on his birthday, whih conflicted with the party he had scheduled in Spain.

42. sly says:

I get the Beckford change not the Johnson change. And I’m a big fan of Mattocks.

43. Beto says:

…and here comes Gio into the game for Aldo

44. petedx says:

Well that should have been a goal

• sly says:

Whatsthat the fourth one that shoulda been. To think we tanked the caCaribbean cup for this. Atleast wed be in the gold cup. If we won that as we always do.

• petedx says:

I thought Johnson’s header was in for sure, great save, but that cross was in slow motion just waiting to be headed home and he blew it.

45. SanFran415 says:

How many more good chances would Jamaica have if they weren’t all so selfish? It’s like a team of Pando Ramirez’.

46. Beto says:

Mexico slicing their way thru Jamaica’s right side; certainly their weekness… That and finishing.

• sly says:

They are more gifted. With the Jamaicans its always the same toughness, footspeed and great goalkeeping. Everything else good luck.

47. sly says:

In order to help my Telemundo Friends. He pronounces it Maht-Tocks. Their attempts at pronouncing it making me cringe. Another reason the switch made no sense.

48. Beto says:

Ooo Guardado cerca!

49. petedx says:

Wow Rickets coming up big.

50. sly says:

Torrado excellent professional foul. Carragher/Carvalhjo esque.

51. Chicago Josh says:

Stands now half-empty…still 5 min

52. people are salty on here says:

This game is poop, I hate mexico

53. sly says:

Mattocks noone can jump higher cone on.

54. petedx says:

Bring Rickets up for the goal!!!!

55. EspinDOHla says:

You’d think Jamaica has the lead and are trying to waste time!! Wow!

56. sly says:

He was onside. Replay showed it. Gotta get that call at home.

57. SanFran415 says:

Disaster for Jamaica.

• alabamafutbol says:

Jamaica are atrocious.. Practically time wasting down a goal and can hardly execute a legal throw-in. That said, you better believe they’ll look like world beaters against us Friday..

58. SanFran415 says:

Jamaica wasted several minutes near the end of that game. That infuriates me and I wanted them to lose. How stupid can you possibly be? I counted 30 second waisted to take a throw in with like 4 minutes left. The guy just stood there and then dropped the ball for a guy on the other end of the field to come over.

Jamaica don’t deserve to be anywhere near our CONCACAF bids. What a joke. Time wasting when you’re losing? Head explodes.

• Iggy says:

It wasnt purposeful time wasting, just stupidity. I actually was rooting for the ref to blow the whistle on the guy to end the game on him.

59. TC says:

That ref made some outrageous calls toward the end.

60. Beto says:

Bummer.. Was hoping Ricketts could do something vs Corona!

Well now Jamaica is really going to go all out vs us after losing a close game today. Certainly beatable, i guess it depends on if they have any energy and how ruffed up the turf is in a few days

61. fischy says:

CONCACAF may not be any good, but that was still a thrilling match.