Red card rescinded for Martins

ObafemiMartins1-ChivasUSA (USATodaySports)

By DAN KARELL

Obafemi Martins will be available for the Seattle Sounders this Saturday when they take on the Vancouver Whitecaps, thanks to an independent panel’s review.

MLS announced on Wednesday that the red card Martins received in the 71st minute of last Saturday’s 2-0 victory over Chivas USA had been rescinded, keeping Martins available for selection in the next match.

Martins was shown a straight red card by referee Ricardo Salazar after falling over Chivas midfielder Gabe Farfan and making contact between Martins’ boot and Farfan’s face.

What do you make of this news? Do you believe the play was worthy of a red card? Do you agree with the decision?

This entry was posted in Featured, Major League Soccer, MLS- Seattle Sounders. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Red card rescinded for Martins

1. Adam says:

Well done mls. Beyond stupid red card

2. drew11 says:

Isn’t that a red from the ref who has given the Sounders a red in 5 straight games? Sorry if I got my facts wrong.

• Travis says:

He has given 5 reds to the Sounders in the last 5 games he reffed but I think one of them had two reds, so one didn’t have one somewhere in there. He also has given like double the amount of reds as any other ref this year.

3. Travis says:

So when are they going to suspend Salazar for his repeated subpar performances? This clearly wasn’t a red so repealing was right decision but they need to start disciplining incompetent refs. I really do like how MLS is willing to actually rescind cards and hand out bans for incidents that refs saw but didn’t discipline properly, serious kudos to them that.

4. Ryan says:

Salazar has give two of the three red cards that have been rescinded this season.

5. R.S. says:

Redcardo Salazar strikes again!

6. Gnarls says:

Good decision by the panel. The red was terrible, even by Salazar’s standards.

7. 2tone says:

Now I can laugh at MLSsoccer.com’s article stating he deserved his red card. In no way was that a red card, and I am happy disciplinary board made the right choice in rescinding the red.

• Ceez says:

Please post the link to this article. I would like to read it. Thanks.

• A wise man once says:

It was actually a video: link to mlssoccer.com

• Travis says:

I think there was a video on mlssoccer by that guy Simon Borg (I think that his name) who always feels compelled to yell whenever he talks. His analysis of it was like THATS A GREAT CALL REF, well thats awkward now. I don’t post links here but you can find it, it was posted june 3rd I think

8. Tim F. says:

To me this was not even a yellow unless Martins was a repeat offender,