SBI MLS Goal of the Week: Michel

MichelFCDallasvsChivasUSA (FCDallas)

This entry was posted in Major League Soccer, MLS- FC Dallas, SBI MLS Goal of the Week. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to SBI MLS Goal of the Week: Michel

1. Travis says:

His delivery is very good, so much movement. Gspurning is certainly at blame a bit on this one but his assist on the first goal was put into such a good area as well.

2. whooaa Kemosabe says:

this accident is goal of the week?

3. johnnycougar says:

Always hard to know if goals like these are accidents or not. Gspurning (or whatever) was actually in good position to stop the shot initially, making it unlikely Michel was actually trying to score. If Gspurning hadn’t misjudged the flight of the ball it would have been easily saved. All he had to do was take one step back and jump, but instead he went forward first.

• TomG says:

Doubt it. Michel is one of the best ball strikers in MLS and Gspurning has been beaten by Olimpico’s before.

4. Bozeman says:

I’m not a Sounders fan, but I think Kenny Cooper is ultimately responsible for this goal, and should have been called for a foul. He obstructed Gspurning by basically pushing him into the net and away from the ball. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a pre-practiced set-play, as it just looked too slick to be coincidence.

That being said, Gspurning could have done much better and been a lot more strong. (Though Cooper is a huge guy!)

• TomG says:

Completely disagree, and suspect you are faking being a Sounders fan. The third replay clearly shows zero contact initiated by Cooper. If anything, Gspurning ran into Cooper, who was pretty much standing still and had his back to the keeper. If that’s not enough, Gspurning is going the completely wrong direction. Cooper is in front of him, the ball is behind him. If anything was practiced, it wasn’t Cooper as a screen, but Cooper as a decoy. The keeper reacts and goes towards Cooper instead of reacting to the flight of the ball. In my opinion you could not be more off base. There’s more contact in my grandmother’s bingo night than was in that box.

• Bozeman says:

Sorry, Minnesota doesn’t have an MLS team (yet? Go United!), but nice try. Not everyone who makes observations about Sounders games is ” faking being a Sounders fan.”

• TomG says:

Hey, I’m a NYRB fan, so I’ve got no dog in this fight, but in looking at that replay several times, I can’t even imagine how a Sounders fan or objective fan could possibly call for a Cooper foul on that play.

5. Tony in Quakeland says:

Valencia’s equalizer for Portland was far more impressive. Strength, close control, excellent shot. So was EJ’s first goal.

I’d like to see goals in the run of play and with great build ups got acknowledged more often as Goals of the Week.

6. Marco says:

Nice goal no doubt.. but would have been even more so if he’d connected with the guy crashing far post… and he’d buried it

7. Brett says:

Anyone will tell you that the best delivery on a set play puts the ball on the frame of the goal at a trajectory that other players can meet it. This is what puts the keeper at a quandary about whether to play the ball in flight or wait to see where the contact will be.

I think I can say this was a good delivery, but not necessarily what I’d call a “great goal”. Like someone else said, I’d be just as impressed if he simply connected with a runner on the post.