AtticusTimbers

By DAN KARELL

In front of more than 3,000 fans at Jeld-Wen Field, eight-year-old Atticus achieved his dream of playing with the Portland Timbers, and scored four goals in a match-winning performance to boot.

Atticus and his Green Machine team took down the Timbers, 10-9, on Wednesday afternoon in a friendly match, with the Portland native scoring the game-winning goal just before time expired. Darlington Nagbe, Jack Jewsbury, Mikael Silvestre and captain Will Johnson all featured for the Timbers in a losing effort.

Last fall, Atticus was diagnosed with cancer and due to his treatments, he had to miss the final game of Green Machine’s season. When Make-A-Wish-Oregon became involved, they granted Atticus a wish. Instead of asking for money or toys, the eight-year-old asked for a match against his favorite team, Portland Timbers.

Here are the match highlights (after the jump):

This entry was posted in Featured, Major League Soccer, MLS- Portland Timbers. Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to Atticus sees his dream come true, scoring four to lead Green Machine past Timbers

1. LIKO says:

this makes up for all the evil in the world. Thank you Timbers

2. Lake says:

This is by far one of the coolest things a sports team has ever done for one of these kids. Huge amount of respect goes out to the Timbers organization for a job very well done.

• Agreed. First class behavior all around. They gave the kids, the fans and the players a night to remember. Well done indeed.

• Noah says:

I am very much not a Nebraska Cornhusker fan, but they did something similar. They let an 8 year old cancer patient who loved Nebraska football score a 69 touchdown during the spring game. Make a Wish really is a cool organization, and its great that sports teams are helping kids dreams come true

3. AngelofLA says:

I like it very much, it is nice to bring joy to a kid especially coming from his favorite team. That Johnson red card was well deserved. LOL. Thank Ives for bringing a nice article and Well done Timbers Organization and I hope all team in the MLS follow this with their youth(Fans)

4. MiamiAl says:

Nice!!!!

5. Burg says:

Bravo Timbers.. this is fantastic. Props To TA for the turn out… what a great site.

6. Gary Page says:

One of the most heart warming things I’ve seen in a while. How great of the Timbers.

7. Anthony says:

Not a big deal, but you actually can’t ask for money. Great story and great job by the Timbers and Timbers Army for making it happen.

8. Michael Wood says:

I’ve been a Timbers fan for a very long time and have never been more proud of being a supporter of this great organization after today!

9. jimmy says:

Raining tears of happiness on a beautiful sunny day in an act of pure class. A match pure of heart for a kid and his dream! This will choke me up for days

10. Fat B. says:

Everyone involved left nothing undone. As the pics and video show, it was as close as a kid could get to the real deal. The Green Machine even warmed up exactly as the Timbers do down in the corner with sprints and dribbling drills under coach’s supervision. Loved how the Timbers players played it up with mock slide tackles, hands-to-face after missing easy shots or getting scored on, and complaining to the refs. Log slices, smoke, chants, flags, post-game jersey trading and media interviews. It was simply wonderful. Certainly a match and an experience never to be forgotten, and a reminder that it’s really not that hard to take care of each other. So many thanks to those who made it happen.

11. bryan says:

lol love the red card

12. Jeremy says:

The most fun I have ever had on my lunch hour. It was actually a blast to chant against our own players and have them become pantomine villains and they did it perfectly.

One thing that’s overlooked is that while this was a day for Atticus, the little guy choose something for his whole team and they all had amazing grins on their faces after the match. The Timbers Army gave each player his own banner and scarf from the pre-game tifo and Atticus was really mindful to make sure they all got a chance to carry his log slice around in front of the fans.

Sometimes a sport is really more than a game.

13. Jon says:

Top class by the Timbers org and everybody in the TA that showed up.

14. Jeb says:

Wow. so awesome.

15. DWE4 says:

Kudos to the Timbers! And kudos to the Timbers Army for showing up and making the game feel like a big deal for the kids!! The Green Machine will always remember playing against the real Timbers player, but the part that will make it most memorable is having the fans cheering them on.

Atticus! Atticus!

16. GreatStuff says:

This was truly fantastic. It’s nice to see something heartwarming like this. I’m sure Atticus will remember this day fondly. Bravo Portland! Bravo!

17. WK says:

Well Done Timbers!

18. Michael Nilsson says:

This DC United fan could not be more impressed. Just fantastic.

19. KungFuSoccer says:

Ives, looks like you need to seriously revise Portland’s place in the power rankings. I’m also surprised the Portland fans aren’t complaining about the officiating yet.

But seriously, this is one of the nicest things I’ve ever seen.

20. Hopper says:

Jesus … I had to hold back tears when they lifted him up at the end. Well done, Portland (from Seattle).

21. John says:

Great organization, great fans, great moment. Y’all made a grown man cry.

22. Scott says:

As a Sounders fan living behind enemy lines, hats off to the Timbers and the TA. Excellent humanity on display. And yes, the red card was well deserved.

23. Dinho says:

As a father of three, this is even more incredible. True tears. Well done, Timbers.

24. The Dream says:

Did they have an “away” section?

25. manicmessiah says:

I wasn’t going to post because I am just echoing what many have said, but it deserves to be said that the players and staff and fans did brilliantly to put this match on. I teared up before I even started the video.

26. Gobletto says:

Just wonderful.

27. Paul Atkinson says:

I loved the smiles and the atmosphere in the stands — it was like a street party with friends, strangers, and of course the teams and staff.

One moment that won’t make it into the write-ups: Jake Gleeson (Timbers GK) entered the game as a field player. After a particularly wobbly pass, The Timbers Atticus’s Army took up a “dodgy keeper!” chant, rendering Jake almost paralytic with laughter. The mock-fouls, the almost-tackles, and the yellow and red cards were played beautifully and I’m sure it was a day the kids will never forget.

Cheers to everyone involved from Make-a-Wish, the Timbers, the Army (by any other name), and those random soccer-mad denizens of Portland who came out to make this such an incredible event. I couldn’t be prouder to live in Soccer City. RCTID

28. Jamie Z. says:

What a wonderful, uplifting thing. Humanity has such amazing potential. If only we went into all of our interactions with such compassion and noble dignity. Both teams won big today. Go, Green Machine. Go, Timbers.

29. bluenblack says:

Much love and respect to the Timbers and their fantastic fans from this Quakes’ supporter.

BTW, the red was harsh.

• sagcat says:

The video doesn’t show both fouls, but it was actually two yellows. Will Johnson is just a pest out there.

30. DN from SF says:

Simply superb, Portland Timbers!!! All the best to young Atticus.

31. Fredo says:

Nice game Atticus.

32. sagcat says:

There was a lot to appreciate today, but I’ll share this:

I was hoping the Timbers would give log slices to the kids if they scored, and when I went in and took a position right next to Timber Joey’s log, I noticed immediately that it was a much smaller log than is normally used for Timbers’ games. Only one slice was taken off, but it was still wicked cool that they went with a more kid-friendly size.

Next, mad props to the two Green Machine players who choreographed a goal celebration. Oscar Oeding scored a second half goal and had a teammate kneel down for a classic shoe-shine. It was *outstanding.* Wish it made the highlight reel.

• sagcat says:

Oh one more thing

It was really, fantastically cool that brand new kits (complete kits, right down to the socks, I believe) and brand new adidas boots were given to each kid. The Timbers set up the locker room as though for a professional team with the new gear. Each kid also got a scarf from the team *and* a scarf from the TA.

When I remember things, I’ll post more.

• Talley says:

And some lucky members of our board, capos, drums, trumpets, and volunteers got scarves fromthe kids. Such an awesome day. Such a great team. Go Atticus!

33. Michael says:

So so so proud to be Timbers supporter today. Thank you so much for perpetuating a story that needs to be seen by as many people as possible. I keep tearing up as it crosses my mind during my work day. Thank you Timbers FO. Thank you TA. Thank you Atticus for helping us remember the important bits!

34. Kosh says:

Awesome! Simply, awesome!! Thank you, Portland.

35. Red Devil says:

Really great of the Timbers organization to really go above and beyond for Atticus! So awesome that so many people in the community showed up for the match. Thumbs up all the way around. I hope that the other teams around the league and beyond are paying attention — the bar has just been raised.

36. russman says:

Cap Atticus

37. Micah says:

This was nice, glad the Timbers had a good time.

38. Adrian says:

That’s soccer, makes my heart shine. Atticus! Atticus!

39. K-Town says:

Portland really needs to work on their defense. Johnson got nutmegged for the opener and then made up for it with dirty play after dirty play. Red card served him right. lol

Awesome stuff. Damn near made me tear up at work….with co-workers around! Can’t be having that.

40. Michael F. SBI Mafia Original says:

This is what makes the beautiful game beautiful.
    Get well soon, Atticus. We’re all pulling for ya!
    Great job, Timbers and MLS!

41. Falls City Outlaw says:

Over/under on Green Machine vs Toronto FC?

Congrats, Timbers, for a wonderful act of sportsmanship, fair play, and humanity.

42. MMV says:

3K, during the middle of the day, on a Tuesday with a rocking atmosphere to boot. Chivas must be jealous!!

Seriously, there’s not much that I can say that hasn’t already been said. It just brings joy to my heart seeing a young boy who’s battling a scary, scary disease with a HUGE smile on his face putting all his troubles aside. I’m glad soccer is his avenue and it will continue to be his outlet for the rest of his life.

• jeff says:

Chivas comment made me laugh. Which is good because I was tearing up from this whole event. Outstanding job, Portland!

43. Gnarls says:

So I’m watching the highlight video, right. And then some jackwad starts cutting onions in my office.

44. Jacknut says:

Damn allergies…. always acting up at the worst time. :)

45. Shane says:

What do you expect from a kid with the same name as one of the best literary characters in American fiction. Well done Atticus and the Timbers. Porter well on his way to coach of the year coaching 8 yr olds to victory v an MLS side.

46. Tim says:

Any word on how long Johnson will be suspended for?

I hope this made the SportsCenter Top 10.

47. Beto says:

So awesome! I like how they gave them a good game and the TA for showing up in force and making the experience so awesome.

48. Frankie Angel says:

Niagara Falls.

49. Jim Paige says:

Class with a capital C. Timbers went the extra mile for the Green Machine. Will cheer rhem on except, of course, when they play my beloved Earthquakes.

Bravo Timbers!

50. beachbum says:

I love this story!!! made me weep.

Go Green Machine!

51. Phil says:

Spectacularly done by everyone involved! What a great soccer community Portland has!