CONCACAF Champions League: Galaxy vs. Monterrey (Match Night Commentary)

GalaxyMonterrey

By IVES GALARCEP

The Los Angeles Galaxy are Major League Soccer’s best hope of winning the CONCACAF Champions League, but to do so they will have to get past the two time defending champions of the tournament.

The Galaxy face off against Monterrey in a Champions League semifinal series that kicks off tonight at Home Depot Center (10pm, Fox Soccer Channel).

The ‘Rayados’ aren’t enjoying as strong a Mexican League season as years past, but they still boast a dangerous squad more than capable of beating a Galaxy side currently unbeaten a month into the 2013 season.

SBI will be providing live commentary on tonight’s match, including updates from Home Depot Center by SBI Galaxy writer Omar Shamout, so please feel free to join us. As always, you are welcome to share your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action (Tonight’s SBI Live Commentary is after the jump):

This entry was posted in CONCACAF Champions League, Mexican Soccer, MLS- LA Galaxy. Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to CONCACAF Champions League: Galaxy vs. Monterrey (Match Night Commentary)

1. ed - houston says:

Come on LA, don’t F it up.

2. RB says:

Rather unimpressed turnout. Is everyone trying to be fashionably late in the SoCal way, or…?

• John F says:

The HDC is on a college campus. Weeknight games during the school year are limited attendance because of parking problems. 7,500, I think.

• RB says:

Oh, had no idea about that. Thanks.

• Kevin says:

Even on spring break? Lame…

• glou says:

they changed it up for tonight. usually that cap is in place, but they all areas open tonight. anyone know why? it’s also possible that people were late bc of traffic. it took me an hour and forty min to get there when it usually takes me 35 min.

3. RB says:

Fantastic teamwork!

4. Bill says:

How cool is it that CONCACAF has @TheChampions as a twitter account? You’d think that was reserved for UEFA.

5. MB says:

Galaxy are playing very well. Have created a bunch of chances and haven’t given many to Monterrey. Finishing it up 2-0 would be a great result to take into Monterrey if they can pull it off.

6. beachbum says:

fun game at the half. Magee can play better and would be big. once Robbie settled in he was awesoem. the Kid is pure delight, and Monterrey know it and are fouling him hard. Hope he scores to respond

7. Mig says:

Landon as a counterattack weapon is going to be important soon.

8. Mig says:

ummm…what a godlike save.

9. Mig says:

LD’s impact is immediate and obvious. He has already changed the balance on the field. (should have shot at 72′ though)

• MemRook says:

Pre-whatever we are calling it Donovan doesn’t stop his run at full speed when he is behind like that and pass the ball back. He takes that to the goal and tries a shot. A little rust evident there.

• MemRook says:

Damn it, Mig, I’ve tried replying a couple times to you just now but being moderated like a b*tch. Ives you’re killing me.

• MemRook says:

Wow. So damn gets thru, as well as 90% b*tch. But dear god don’t let my reply about Donovan being a tad rusty offend anyone!!

10. jdub says:

After his hiatus, Landalf the White is playing very well.

11. MemRook says:

Ffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu, Damn it LA. Damn.

12. Mig says:

It would have been nice to comment on this game here but moderation just ruined it.

And now I’m doubly annoyed since Monterrey scored.

13. Francois says:

This is the stuff that just irritates me to no end. We sit back and invite pressure when in the first half we controlled the game by holding possession and attacking. These tactics that MLS and American teams use we they have a lead is why we always give up leads. Inviting pressure on your defense is a sure-fire way to concede.

14. ChiTown says:

I swear that half of Mexican defensive strategy is to fall at first breeze.

Out of position? Take a fall.
    Lose the ball? Take a fall.
    Soccer game going on? Take a fall.

• MemRook says:

Trust me. When you’re playing such a physically taxing sport like soccer, sometimes you just need a little rest.

• Mig says:

Once they got the road goal though, Monterrey seemed to become a lot more physically taxed…immediately

• MemRook says:

Until thy decided, “Hey guys, what do you think? Wanna score another goal? Yeah? Ok let’s score one more. Ok good. That was easy. You may resume flopping all over the field again.”

15. ChiTown says:

I’m sorry, but I refuse to accept that MLS teams commit fouls every single free kick in the opposing half.

The officials cheat. Point blank.

16. Nick4235 says:

Sorry but has there been a single set piece on which the ref didn’t whistle a foul on the attacking team? Let the boys play a bit…

17. ChiTown says:

No red card for throwing an elbow into Donovan’s head? Referee’s lost all control. Joke.

18. Mig says:

Wow, good night everyone. No MLS again. Sigh.

• So depressing. I’m pissed that I stayed up late for this no-show by Galaxy. Where’s their killer instinct?

WHY DID GONZALEZ FALL ASLEEP ON THAT PLAY!?!?!

19. ChiTown says:

Omar Gonzalez just… wow. Not ready for prime time.

• 2pac shakur says:

+10000000000 who is the real Omar Gonzalez ?

• Broward says:

That is the real Gonzales on defense. At least partially at fault on both goals, and losing his man all night. LA defense was horrible…as was their finishing…and their midfield as downright lazy the last 30 minutes. Really, the defense was a joke and some of that has to go to Arena.

20. MemRook says:

Ok. I officially HATE CCL. How many perfeclty good hours have I wasted watching MLS teams crumble and take big stinking dumps on the field in CCL?????

• Boots Utd says:

That’s why you need to drink some good beers while you watch the games, because once MLS fails again you can say ‘well, that sucked, but at least I had some quality beers, maybe the hours lost were not that bad after all’.

But seriously, it seems like the standard MO for MX teams to beat MLS teams is to put more ball pressure in the midfield. Monterrey makes the sub at half to bring on another midfielder, and invites higher pressure in the midfield. Guys like Sarvas and Stephens can’t handle the pressure, turn the ball over and the backline is under attack again. Until you have the talent to break that pressure, MLS will not advance past a quality MX side that actually tries to win.

21. eddie says:

Unbelievable, Galaxy blew a wonderful chance. Damn!

22. Francois says:

Once again, I re-itterate, inviting pressure by sitting on top of your 18 yard box is the dumbest tactical adjustment in history. If you were dominating a game one way, why change your approach completely?

• MemRook says:

Can you one-billion-percent agree with someone???

• Broward says:

Answer: Bruce Arena. The tactics were a joke. I think his halftime talk must have challenged the midfield and defense to see how big a gap they could sustain between both them and their forwards…and between them and Monterey’s attackers.

• Isaac says:

It’s a dumb idea if you can’t handle the pressure. If you can, then it’s probably the most effective manner of managing the game, tied only with Spain’s near complete passing game.

23. MB says:

You could really see the tide turn in Monterrey’s favor once Juninho got injured. They were basically playing man-down in the middle of the park with the invisible Stephens out there who got shredded for Monterrey’s first goal. Donovan was alright, I do think Villareal would have done much better with the chances Donovan got though.

• MemRook says:

Yeah I think Arena made a couple tactical errors in second half. Maybe having Villarreal come off for Donovan was one of them. I can’t decide if that’s because maybe (or even obviously) Donovan isn’t tray quite yet (fitness form etc) or if Villarreal is just playing so well right now. In other words, why does it have to be one for the other? If I’m Bruce and I just HAVE to get Donovan on the field I’m not sure I take off Villarreal too. I dunno. I guess hindsight is 20/20. But why take your foot off the pedal???

• MB says:

Bigger problem is Galaxy’s lack of depth in the middle of the field. Stephens is decent with the ball but his defensive pressure was atrocious. He would either float around the field guarding blades of grass, follow Monterrey players around without ever making an attempt at a tackle, or drop back and join the back four. The pressure the Galaxy were putting on Monterrey ended when Stephens came on and Juninho went off. Juninho was providing great pressure before that. Monterrey then had more time on the ball, created more chances, scored 2 goals.

24. ChiTown says:

Seriously.

Omar Gonzalez is exhibiting a real, real huge problem. He’s blown two games this year by falling asleep and not marking a player who runs in unmarked for a goal.

25. 2pac shakur says:

Question to any Galaxy fans…… Is this Gyasi Zardes close to returning or what?

26. Joe from El Paso says:

MLS still sucks compared to Mexican teams. Poor Galaxy support as well. Bitter pill to swallow…

• atd says:

Did we watch the same game? I saw a really good match that LA would have won but some grievous defensive errors and a great play by the other team’s GK….

• HoBo says:

Galaxy played well in the first half, the better team but juni coming off hurt midfiel no doubt. With the Galaxy just finishing better easily up three goals and that changes the game entirely. I think your analysis of mls sucks is rather shallow.