MLS Week Three: SBI Match Day Live Commentary

MLSLogo2013

By IVES GALARCEP

It is rivalry weekend in Major League Soccer, and the league has a full slate of rivalry match-ups across the country and in Canada today.

Proceedings kick off at Red Bull Arena, where the New York Red Bulls take on D.C. United in their I-95 showdown. Down the road in Pennsylvania, the Philadelphia Union take on the New England Revolution.

Tonight’s Cascadia clash between the Portland Timbers and Seattle Sounders will serve as the day’s true headliner, with both teams searching for their first win of the MLS season.

Here is today’s MLS Schedule:

12:30pm- NBC- Red Bulls vs. D.C. United
3pm- NBC Sports Network- Sporting KC vs. Chicago Fire
4pm- MLS Direct Kick- Montreal Impact vs. Toronto FC
5pm- Univision Deportes- Philadelphia Union vs. New England Revolution
5:30pm- MLS Direct Kick- Columbus Crew vs. San Jose Earthquakes
6pm- MLS Direct Kick- Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids
8pm- NBC Sports Network- Seattle Sounders vs. Portland Timbers

———

SBI will be providing live commentary for all of today’s MLS matches, so please feel free to join us here all day as we follow all the action. As always, please feel free to share your thoughts, opinions and some play-by-play in the comments section below.

Enjoy the action (Today’s Match Day Commentary is after the jump):

This entry was posted in Featured, Major League Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

75 Responses to MLS Week Three: SBI Match Day Live Commentary

1. USMNT Fan says:

NYRB vs DC United on COZI TV not NBC!

2. John.q says:

In the NYC local area including north nj and conn. I think the game is on Cozi tv because of the st patty’s day parade. 161 on Time Warner cable

3. Jon says:

Late arriving crowd at RBA, eh?

Also, good on NYRB for allowing Roy Miller to catch an early flight to Denver.

4. Soccernst says:

Hey Ives, just wanted to say thanks for the emphasis youre giving to MLS and covering it well. Two match day comment threads, but you’ve picked the right one to have live coverage. It’s been a steady upswing in your attentiontion to our domestic league in successive seasons and corresponds to the leagues growth. It’s noticed and appreciated.

5. KC says:

WTF!? Why is there a damned parade on TV instead of the game? Then since it is a nationally televised game I can get it on Direct Kick either…so pissed.

6. Don says:

Does anyone else get tired of MLS broadcasts enhancing the volume from the fans so much that it is louder than the announcers?

7. jspech says:

what channel is this game on Directv???

8. Chris says:

If you have DirecTV in the New York market, you cannot watch this game. What an embarrassment.

9. Citronomics says:

Phew! DCU looking shaky in the back… Thank goodness for the woodwork on Espindola’s header.

10. ld says:

is that Kyle Martino commentating?

11. Francois says:

Perry Kitchen is such a good player. He rarely gives the ball away, and makes the smart pass. Would love to see him at the gold cup.

12. beachbum says:

Henry starting to find the pockets and space and Red Bulls trying to feed him too.. Save DeLeon, DC with not much yet

13. Citronomics says:

So far NYRB with better build up, better chances and winning the majority of 50-50 balls. Pajoy’s hold up play (usually an asset) has been poor, and wide play not creating much. DCU had to find Pontius and DeRo more in 2h.

14. Adrian says:

What a great weekend of MLS we have in store! I had to work the long shift today! Thank you Ives for the Great Commentary.

15. KC says:

I know Pajoy scored last week but that guy is mostly useless, he can’t create his own shot and when he does get space to shoot he rarely forces a save. DC needs a better striker and soon.

16. Matt Ryan says:

The one thing from this game that keeps jumping out at me is the pathetic number of empty seats. That Don Garber watches this and thinks the solution is to give NYC2 his expansion priority is equally depressing. You’re New York Freaking City! This is the best you can do? There’s 22 million people in the area!

• Samurai says:

The New Jersey Red Bulls are in New Jersey. They are not in New York City, they play in a Newark suburb called Harrison.

• Matt Ryan says:

Thank you for talking to me as though I were five. Notice how I didn’t say there were 22 million people in the five boroughs?

• Samurai says:

Mr. Ryan, I’m saying that if the Red Bulls were in New York they would have a better chance of tapping into all those fans. Playing in Jersey, especially with their lack of winning isn’t good for them.

• Matt Ryan says:

I completely agree with that. However, I don’t think Harrison is so far away from, eg Central Park to really defeat my point. There’s still a metric ton of people who live all round RBA or within a reasonable journey for people properly motivated to support their team. It’s the largest metropolitan area in MLS. It’s roughly the size of ten Portlands.

• Samurai says:

Red Bulls should really change their name however, I feel it doesn’t resonate with people in the area. I mean who wants to support a team named after a energy drink? That would’ve really helped them out, but I feel it is too late to change now.

• conrad says:

Do you live in the New York area? I honestly don’t think anyone cares about the name. No one is clamoring for the Metro Stars, whatever the hell that was. And personally? I find the whole pretentious and Victorian “Sporting” KC vibe to be even worse.

• beachbum says:

Red Bulls need a winner after a few years of mediocrity, the Marquez debacle , the Backe debacle, etc.

• Samurai says:

Yeah, they better hope they win something this year (MLS CUP) because Garber is pushing hard to land that second New York franchise. We all know that if the new team iwins something before they do, it won’t be good.

• beachbum says:

for MLS, I want Red Bulls to win but could not bring myself to root for them with Marquez on their squad, he made them impossible to root for

now I feel differently and hope they win and entertain.

17. beachbum says:

wow, Espindola with a moment of brilliance but still finds the cross bar! beautiful flash of skill to slip by two defenders and rocket his left foot

18. Citronomics says:

At least DCU with Ruiz up top and Kitchen playing more advanced looks lively and capable of ideas in the final third.

19. beachbum says:

Hamid with an amazing save reaching back to swat it off the line, maybe it crossed the line but so hard to tell.

20. Citronomics says:

Bill Hamid! You sir are a beast today. Thank you for covering a lame performance by your teammates today (also double thank you to the woodwork).

21. Paul Miller says:

Hamid is a very good shot stopper. Has been for a while. He makes young mistakes in other aspects of the game, which is what DC is hoping he will outgrow.

22. Samurai says:

Winless in 3 matches for the Red Bulls.

23. petedx says:

How does the soccer announcer/commentator system work? I just saw Robbie Earle on the of the KC game for nbc sports but he is the normal timbers local guy with john strong who is also always on fox soccer doing games. I really just hope kasey keller is not doing the Timbers Sounders game tonight, but I’m sure he will

• Mike Donovan says:

John Strong is calling tonight’s SEA/POR for NBC Sports. Quite a few announcers have local deals when their clubs aren’t on national TV.

24. Sam says:

Shame the Red Bulls didn’t win. But I like what I’m seeing from them. Much better soccer compared to last year! :D

I wish I could’ve been at the match. Though I don’t know why our fans were booing. It was a stellar effort.

25. G. Bean says:

I’m really looking forward to the Sounders v Timbers, after the letdown in NJ earlier.

26. baropbop says:

Skc vs chi…. yawn fest

27. meowmix says:

so…is anyone planning on scoring today?

28. Don says:

When the next “most hated player in MLS conversation comes up, I hope to see Dunfield’s name right there with Lenhart’s.

29. Fredo says:

I hope Seattle and Portland both lose.

30. Old School says:

Bravo to NBC Sports Network for making this day feel like an event, as much as they can.

Even though I find “Rivalry Day” contrived and annoying, NBCSN is obviously giving a 100% in their MLS coverage and that’s all we can ask for as MLS fans.

31. Old School says:

Colorado’s blue kits are nice.

Glad to see a change from just the standard “white” alternate kits for our league.

32. Matt Ryan says:

How the living HELL is that not a PK for Portland? Johnson had his knees both intentionally kicked from behind with the left leg of Hurtado.

• petedx says:

It’s becoming comical to find out what it takes for Portland to get a penalty at this point.

• Travis says:

Right leg of Hurtado got the ball first, that is typically what refs look for.

• ed - houston says:

LOL, i know, it looked like a penalty in real time and more so on replay. If it makes you all feel any better the Ref. in the ManC – Everton game sucked too, glad Everton won though.

33. A says:

It’s getting to the point now where we’re entering conspiracy theory territory with penalties and the Timbers.

You don’t get free reign to come through a player and kick his legs out with your trailing leg and claim you got the ball first. That’s a stone cold penalty they weren’t given.

The tackle was fine until the second leg swept the attacker off his feet.

That’s about as easy a penalty call as you’ll get to make as an official.

• Samurai says:

Not if your a MLS referee. Speaking of conspiracy theories, what is with all the ties today? You would think teams were match fixing.

34. Matt Ryan says:

Beginning of the game, they throw trash on the field. Fine. Poor form, but whatever. Score a goal and throw even more trash on the field. Okay, you’re pumped up and showing poor judgment.

But as the half goes by, is it really too much to ask of the Seattle fans to stop throwing trash on the field? Do they have spectator behavior protocols in Seattle at all?

• Samurai says:

That is what Americans do, trash their stadiums. Most of them don’t know how to act civil at their own sporting events or anywhere else for that matter.

• Travis says:

They aren’t the only who throw those stupid streamers, stop trying to single them out.

• Matt Ryan says:

RSL does it, too, but most crowds don’t litter on the pitch. Stop pretending they do.

• Travis says:

it happens all over the league, its stupid and annoying and it should stop but seattle is hardly alone.

• Fredo says:

Streamers are fun. But, I prefer telling ChelĂ­s what I think about his mother.

35. Travis says:

Seattle got outplayed on the game although Portland really didn’t create to much. Portland should have gotten a straight red when Jean-Baptiste clearly pulled down Johnson as the last defender, bit of a joke it was a yellow.

• Matt Ryan says:

Bit of a joke Hurtado survived the game.

• Travis says:

cool, completely ignore the comment about the obvious red. hurtado was never in danger of getting sent off, thought alonso might find himself in trouble though

• Matt Ryan says:

If Hurtado had gotten one of the first few yellows he earned, then I’ll admit that the yellow he finally got probably would have been a common foul. I’ll assume that card was mostly cumulative. He definitely got away with the brutal hack in the box that ref mysteriously let go.

As for Jean-Babtiste’s card, I suppose it could have been red, but that would have been extremely harsh. He tugged the arm when he was beat. deserved foul & card.

• petedx says:

Not sure it’s a red there was a defender coming back in the center. Portland had a pretty good argument for a penalty on that scissor tackle as well. Probably a fair result in the end.