Bradley, Dempsey and Guzan named to USMNT World Cup qualifying roster

Maurice Edu, Michael Bradley

Photo by ISIPhotos.com

By IVES GALARCEP

Michael Bradley, Brad Guzan and Clint Dempsey headlined the 23-player USMNT roster announced for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers vs. Costa Rica and Mexico.

Several familiar faces were left oft the roster, including long-time captain Carlos Bocanegra as well as German-Americans Fabian Johnson, Danny Williams and Timmy Chandler. Johnson, Chandler, Williams and Jose Torres were left out due to injuries, while players like Bocanegra and Michael Parkhurst were left out due to lack of playing time in recent weeks.

The U.S. team is also missing Tim Howard and Steve Cherundolo for this round of qualifying due to injuries.

Some younger options were included in the team, with Joe Corona and Terrence Boyd both called in for the match.

Here is the squad:

GOALKEEPERS- Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando, Sean Johnson.

DEFENDERS- Geoff Cameron, Omar Gonzalez, Tony Beltran, Justin Morrow, Clarence Goodson, Matt Besler.

MIDFIELDERS- Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Maurice Edu, Graham Zusi, Brek Shea, Joe Corona, Sacha Kljestan, DaMarcus Beasley, Kyle Beckerman.

FORWARDS- Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, Herculez Gomez, Eddie Johnson, Terrence Boyd.

———

Some quick thoughts on the roster:

The rash of injuries really put Klinsmann in a tough spot. He said a week ago that he thought Fabian Johnson would be ready. The fact that he wasn’t, and Timmy Chandler’s injury, left Klinsmann with no choice but to call in a roster short on fullbacks.

The fullback mess was in the making for weeks after Parkhurst failed to hold onto a starting role with Augusburg and Eric Lichaj failed to work his way into the Aston Villa rotation. Klinsmann was also considering Jonathan Spector, but he also sustained an injury this past weekend.

DaMarcus Beasley is back on the team and it’s a well-deserved call-up. He brings an in-form attacking threat on the left wing, and could also be considered for a left back role as well. Considering Justin Morrow is the only natural left back on the roster, Beasley absolutely could get the call at left back. If not in both qualifiers, certainly in the Mexico qualifier, where his experience on the national team and in Mexico will be a benefit.

Look for Maurice Edu to get a look in central defense in these qualifiers. He started there in the friendly win vs. Mexico in Azteca, and he could form a good partnership with fellow University of Maryland product Omar Gonzalez.

The rash of injuries could present some good opportunities for players like Joe Corona, who wasn’t on the roster initially.

————-

What do you think of the squad? Which inclusions are you most surprised by? Who are you disappointed to see left out? Think the U.S. can grab three or more points from the next two qualifiers?

This entry was posted in Featured, U.S. Men's National Team, World Cup Qualifying. Bookmark the permalink.

387 Responses to Bradley, Dempsey and Guzan named to USMNT World Cup qualifying roster

1. ChiTown says:

Mind.

Blown.

• byrdman says:

AGREED!

Did chandler get a knock this weekend???

• ChiTown says:

Hamstring.

• biff says:

I saw that game and the announcer made no mention of Chandler being injured nor did any of the live-tickers in Germany mention him being injured.

• DCUnitedWillRiseAgain says:

Chandler struggled with his stamina and looked terrible in Honduras, and has been pulled early for Nurnberg lately. I am guessing that JK doesn’t think he has the fitness to go 90 at altitude – especially if he has a knock and cant train right away.

• Old School says:

Sidenote: it’s kind of amusing if we capped him, only to leave him behind afterwords.

Obviously that isn’t the case but, just saying.

• NE Matt says:

Good thing he’s cap-tied or the conspiracy theorists would be out in full force right now

• Josh D says:

That is probably the worst roster I’ve seen for the US in at least five years… Incredible. I don’t blame Klinsi, but what crap luck.

• ChiTown says:

I actually think it’s one of our better ones.

Klinsmann has put together a team of players who are all in top form for good clubs. Corona/Beas/Jozy/Jones/Herc.

Say what you want about lack of big name players, but I feel good things about that group.

• fischy says:

5 years? I’m going back to ’98 on this one, at least for a game that counts.

Sure, the Gold Cup team that got crushed by Mexico was similar — but therein lies the problem.

• DCU Fan inSocal says:

Kyle Beckerman ….. REALLY!!!

??? Brad Davis or even Magee???

Klinsmann has a hard on for Beckerman…

just like B. Bradley use to have one for Borenstein…

• ChiTown says:

Beckerman is a very good defensive midfielder and destroyer. He does his job and he does it well.

• Dan says:

Beckerman does what Edu would …staying back to let Bradley attack, but Beck lacks the offensive abilities & distribution Edu shows

• Nick says:

Edu can’t pass to save his life.

• Darwin says:

Becks >> Edu
              leadership, holding/possession, touch, hair

Edu >> Becks
              Athleticism, surging, recovering, swag

Edu == Becks
              passing, turnovers, long shots, killer ball, shooting, stats, fan hate

• Ryan says:

Not saying I would take him over Edu, but the one thing Beckerman is definitely better for than Edu is distribution.

• ronniet says:

Better distributor than edu??? You have to be kidding right! Beckerman may be a better backwards passer but going getting the ball forward edu has gotten much better and incisive with his passing since he left rangers…..clearly somebody other than klinsy has a hard on beckerman!!!

• kb says:

Yep, his distribution to the other team is top notch. If Becks and Edu share anything, it’s their ability to play below expectations on the international pitch.

• Sean says:

Did you just say Maurice Edu has “offensive abilities”? Hold on, let me stop laughing and I’ll come up with a response to that.

• Leo says:

When you say stuff like this, you should plan to actually offer a response within the hour, lest you end up looking foolish.

• Nic D "The TX 2 Stepper" says:

I do remember a goal being called back at WC10 in SA that would argue with you. I think his scoring records at TFC and ‘Gers for a DM would be held up as good evidence as well.

• Zack says:

Beckerman is also athletically inferior to most international players.

• Hopper says:

I disagree. I think Beckerman kinda sucks at the international level.

• Old School says:

Beckerman hate never gets old.

He isn’t a world beater but he’s not asked to be one. Additionally, I don’t see how anyone can say Edu is better than Beckerman.

In fact, Beckerman is more comfortable on the ball and distributes much better. Edu is careless and coughs up more turnovers than anyone either acknowledges or chooses to remember.

• ChiTown says:

Yeah, it gets irritating. The guy does nothing but run himself into the ground covering for everyone and stopping build ups in the middle, and he does a very good job at it. He gets rid of the ball quickly and rarely makes a poor pass.

He’s clean and plays within himself and that’s all you can ask from a deep lying defensive midfielder.

• b says:

Yeah, but Edu plays in Europe so he’s automatically better than Beckerman.

• ronniet says:

i see you’ve chosen to forget how many turnovers and back passes beckerman has made in recent showings for the NATS..Beckerman is nowhere close to the level of Edu and edu has been excellent in his apearances for the nats since he has left that god awful club called Rangers…look no further than recent friendlies and qualifiers buddy!!

• kb says:

@ OldSchool
          You are absolutely, without a doubt, 100% correct… when he plays in the MLS. However, he looks like a deer in headlights for the USMNT. And I wouldn’t consider Edu an upgrade either. At times he reminds me of Gooch.

• Rory says:

Salt Lake hasn’t exactly been playing the best soccer lately (a tie against the injury plagued and talent cut Rapids who had a backup goalie following a broken hand). I haven’t seen their games but how has Beckerman looked?

• b says:

Beckerman has looked quite good. He’s been holding together a pretty inexperienced midfield. The defense and lack of finishing (outside of Saborio) is what’s been hurting the club so far. They’re really not off to a bad start though, and they’ve been without 4 starters for the first 3 games.

• Scott says:

I agree with everything you just said. Additionally, I think that he reads the game very well. My biggest knock on Beckerman is recovery speed. I think that this is the area that hurts him most at the international level.

• Neruda says:

Doubtful kyle will play but I’m fine with his inclusion on the roster. From what Chris Pontius said in an interview about beckerman it’s easy to see he has the respect and leadership qualities that are important on a team. He plays his ass off every game and is affective in reading the game.

I’m not saying he’s fast but if the US get a two goal lead against CR beckerman is a good one to come in and shut things down in midfield.

• baropbop says:

The usmnt midfield in the JK era has looked best when beckerman was on the field. Period.
        I know everyone loves them, but a 3 man midfield made up of 2/3 JJ and MB has been a total failure

• Todd C says:

Beckerman does not have the required skill, speed or ability for International games. ESPECIALLY World Cup qualifiers. He does give it 100% but that’s just not good enough at that level. Klinsmann should really have realized this by now. Hopefully he’s not needed beyond warm ups.

• Dan M says:

You are totally right, Beckerman is aweful. He has a lot of folks defending him, but I don’t see why. When on the pitch, he guarantees slow down and stagnation on the counter. He makes passes just to increase his passing success ratio, with little consideration for how unthreatening they are.

• Neruda says:

He makes and completes passes because thats a big part of the game of soccer and especially his position. The idea that he’s trying to pad his passing completion stats with short passes is laughable. He’s played for years under Jason Kreis who emphasis short passing in triangles to increase possession time while looking for through balls to attacking players.

JK puts more importance on always working the ball with quick passing rather than always make forward passes. That’s what Beckerman is good at with ball at his feet.

• Tex says:

I like

Cameron Besler Gonzo ?

Johnson Bradley Beasley Dempsey

Altidore Gomez

The mids and forwards are okay, but the back line scares the **** out of me.

• brent says:

OMG.. We are in trouble..

• Old School says:

Speaking of “Mind Blown”, I just read Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey are both a yellow card away from suspension.

I think that’s the most troubling news of anything. Can you imagine not having either, compounded with this thin of a lineup?

#MindBlown

• ChiTown says:

I can imagine not having Dempsey.

I actually would like to see a team without Dempsey doing his own thing. An attacking lineup of something like this would make me a happy man.

——Beas—-Jozy—Herc—–
        —————Corona———-
        ———Bradley——-Jones—-

• Indigo Montoya says:

Please, you comment in jest. The best attacking player, in international competition, and you hope for him to not see the pitch. If fitness is a question, then, sure (however, he played 45 minutes the past weekend). If personal issues propagate your post, then it’s easily dismissed as rubbish. He doesn’t have his “own thang” like the late, great Heavy D.

• Rory says:

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
      PANIC!

2. Steve says:

I am confused….

3. Todd says:

I think Bill Hamid should be our #2 GK behind Guzan

• PD says:

then you know nothing about the position. unless your rationale is to have an MLS keeper working with the MLS backline. In which case it should be Rimando.

• Dan says:

Hamid has occasional lapses in concentration…aka Olympic FAIL

• DanO says:

That was Sean Johnson

• AS says:

and Hamid

• DanO says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the howler was Johnson. Hamid got injured and his only fault was not taking himself off earlier. I don’t recall a lapse in concentration on Hamid’s part, but I did block out a lot of the end of that game…

• kb says:

Is this really an argument about our 3rd string keeper?

• Rory says:

Sorry but I’m putting that Olympic Fail down to Coach Porter and his “We will play my college system even though I don’t have any speed on the wing.” Freddy Adu as your speedy option on the wing can tell you real quick that things aren’t going to work.

4. Lucas says:

That back line looks mighty, mighty thin.

5. Benny Dargle says:

So, our backup outside fullbacks are Cameron and Beasley? With Edu as a deep reserve?

• bryan says:

Morrow is a lb…

• Benny Dargle says:

I was assuming he was a starter. If Cameron started at outside back rather than CB, then yes, Morrow or Beltran would be a reserve.

• TomG says:

Was wondering the same thing myself. DMB has failed multiple times at LB. I can’t imagine they’d try him there again. As far as I know, Mo has never played fullback. Why not bring in Williams, Sturgis, Loyd, etc. for depth? Shocked they wouldn’t bring in Parkhurst even if he’s not playing.

• The Imperative Voice says:

Based on the callups I think Cameron is a CB, but I think Cameron could play RB fine. He is tenacious and can distribute/hit a cross. Came into the league as a RW. I always thought it would be a better use for his skills than CB because he can go to sleep on his blind side when used in the middle.

• chris_thebassplayer says:

Cameron can play RB well, but that leaves the middle very weak. Goodson is poor, Edu and Omar would need someone to organize and set the line. I think we need Cameron in the middle.

• Scott says:

I have seen the blind side lapse from Omar as well. Both for LA and the USMNT. Never comfortable with the 2 of them together as CB’s. Always wondering which one will miss the back door run on the counter.

6. az18 says:

Shea-Altidore-Gomez
    Dempsey
    Jones-Bradley
    Beasley-Besler-Gonzalez-Cameron

• Dimidri says:

Cameron has to play RB or LB here, right…

• az18 says:

OR:
      Altidore-Gomez
      Dempsey
      Corona-Bradley
      Jones
      Shea-Gonzalez-Cameron-Morrow

• Bellus Ludas says:

• Josh D says:

I know he’s out of favor now but Goodson has the most experience. I say he partners at CB.

• Arty says:

I think az18 picked a good one, with perhaps edu getting the start at cb. It’s perhaps too conservative to want to go with experienced players even in their unnatural spots. Wouldn’t mind seeing Beasley on the wing provided we have another fullback who can play. We better not be short on grit and heart if we want some points.

7. ConradB says:

Wow. Six defenders with a total of twelve caps between them…

• Charles says:

I think the real total is 53 caps in defense. All the caps shown above are in Qualifying only. (USSoccer.com has the roster like that too)

8. Big Chil says:

‘Bout Time!

9. Riggity says:

Holy crap. We really really suck

10. jidax says:

wow .. I don’t know what to say

11. BumpBailey says:

Did he forget to name some outside backs?

12. ko'd says:

Ok, so who are the fullbacks that are going to be playing in Azteca for a World Cup qualifier? I’m not one for overreacting, but if the answers are Morrow and/or Beltran, we’re in trouble for both the Mexico and the Costa Rica games.

13. czecho says:

Goodson really? he didn’t move to Turkey

14. Beto says:

Wow thin in the back! Hopefully we can win some high scoring game.

Not even going to try and make the lineup yet!

15. byrdman says:

Beltran was horrible vs Canada. Couldn’t get a cross off to save his life.

I have tried to be open and fair minded to JK all along, but …. well I will withhold judgement a bit longer. But I’m skeptical.

• Alex says:

This roster is about as good as JK can do at the moment. I mean, I’m actually pretty critical of the guy; I think he’s an idea man, a philosophical figurehead, not a coach. But this roster isn’t his fault. This roster is what he could scrape together based on circumstances outside of his control.

• The Imperative Voice says:

Qualification: with people like Beckerman, Kljestan, Beltran, Johnson, Hamid, it is a diluted pool that is further strained by Klinsi Reflexes. In other words, he did not do the BEST he could do with what was left. He compounded it a bit.

16. DB says:

so what does our starting back four look like???????

17. Steve says:

I am wondering if this is the roll out for the 3-5-2?

• Riggity says:

That would amazing, never ginna happen though

• Ben Davidson says:

I’m hoping that he rolls Cameron to the outside in his natural spot and lets Edu play center back with Gonzalez. The other fullback….well whoever has the best training session I guess.

Amazing Boca still can’t make the team with us down to Besler and Morrow as potential starters on the back line

• Steve in DC says:

Cameron’s “natural” spot is not outside back, though you are right that he may indeed start there. He’s played it for Stoke but he’s said unequivocally that he is a centerback. That’s where he most wants to play and feels most comfortable.

• Ben Davidson says:

Ah interesting….well this back line is makeshift anyway you send it out there. Hopefully Costa Rica turns out to be a good warmup for them and then we head into el Azteca and manage a result.

Guzan is used to getting pummeled with shots anyway

• Jeff says:

Cameron may believe he is a more natural fit at centerback, but I have seen him excel time and time again at RB for Stoke. His ability to get forward, combine with his wing, take his space, and provide good crosses makes me believe he can fulfill that spot better than anyone else on this roster.

18. SaboCM says:

Glad JK is relying on a backline with tons of international experience to help support Guzan in his first stretch of huge games….

At least Guzan has plenty of experience with Villa on how to protect a goal from a plethora of shot

• Elyk247 says:

Yeah, it’s pretty much Guzan’s forte for Aston Villa. If anything this makes him better.

19. Sloan says:

DaMarcus and Brek!!

20. been living under a rock since world cup 2010 says:

where is Landon Donovan and Ricardo Clark and Oguchi Onyewu?

21. steveo says:

clearly Klinsmann spends too muchy time reading SBI comments and after being called out for calling in every German-American for all games, he decides to leave the good ones in Europe….ugh…

• steveo says:

Is Parkhurst hurt? Lichaj? Spector?- all have either a decent amount of International experience or direct experience playing vs Mexico…

last time I saw beltran was with the U-20s in 2007 and back then he looked woefully out of place-did he improve infitesmally since?

22. jidax says:

you Know what !! this might work .. remember we will be playing home .. so it’s ok people, considering the injuries , what else can he do ?

• JC says:

I agree. Atleast he took players that went through his January camp together. Hopefully there will be some cohesion from that time together and playing JKs strategy.

I’d rather have Beltran and Morrow than Parkhurst and Boca since they aren’t seeing the field.

• jidax says:

Well Said !! Mark my words we will be playing great !! at least 3 goals !!

• CroCajun says:

If he actually plays a CAM like Corona or Mix and he adds a real speed threat at the wing like Beasley or Shea, it really might work.

• Neruda says:

These aren’t thoughts. I’m not sure if this a permanent youth movement but there’s going to be some players that will surprise us in a good way. And this roster would not have lost by more to Honduras in the last game. That squad totally lacked the US fight that has been the hallmark of US teams since cobi jones and Lalas and the boys laced em up back in 94.

23. Benny Dargle says:

It almost looks set up for a 3-5-2 with Cameron, Gonzo, and Besler in the back, two defensive mids in front of the back line (e.g., Edu and Beckerman) and then a three man midfield of Shea (or Gomez/Johnson), Bradley, and Jones with Dempsey and Altidore up front.

• Dan says:

I thought a 3-5-2 starting formation was unofficially banned as useless after 8th grade….unless you need a goal in the last 5min

• Ryan says:

As evidenced by the world’s most exceptional band of 8th graders, Juventus.

• Alex says:

If you’ve paid any attention to the evolution in tactics in the last 3 or so years, you’d know that the 3-5-2 is back with a vengeance. It’s pretty effective when played well, but I’m not convinced we have the right players for the job. What might this look like?

——-Altidore—–Gomez——–
        ————-Dempsey————-
        Beasley———————-Zusi?
        ———Jones—–Bradley——-
        —Besler–Gonzalez—Cameron–

Actually, now that I type that out… It might work? The way this works for high level teams is by having the outside midfielders play as wing-backs, basically running the whole flanks by themselves. I think Beasley can do that, as he won’t be a dedicated defender (where he has failed before) and has Besler to back him up. The problem is that right midfield spot. We don’t really have anyone who fits the mold there on this roster. It’s not a purely attacking midfield spot, so I actually don’t think Zusi would go there. Maybe Bradley? I’m not saying Bradley is a fullback in disguise, but I think he’s the player most likely to get the job done. (Anyone remember Reyna patrolling the right side against Mexico in 02?) With Bradley out wide, we could put Edu, Beckerman or Kljestan in his central area…

This might work in theory, on in FIFA 13, but I’m not sure it would pan out in a hex qualifier. This would be a pretty radical formation shift to spring on the players days before arguably the toughest game in qualifying, at the Azteca. Intriguing to think about, but unlikely to happen.

• solles says:

What a stupid thing to say, have you watched Italian football lately?

24. ChiTown says:

We’re in a tight spot with injuries.

Chandler – Hamstring
    Castillo – Broken face
    F. Johnson – Hip
    Spector – Ankle
    Dolo – Knee
    Boca – Old man time

25. Pete says:

I wonder if Edu might get the nod over Cameron at CB. Is Beasley playing on the back line for his club team?

• bryan says:

No he isn’t.

• The Imperative Voice says:

He might have been factored into the length of the backline callup list, which is short. But I agree he was likely called in either to start or to back up at DM. Particularly in Williams’ absence.

• Riggity says:

More like the farthest thingnfrom it, I have seen him play a couple matches and he has played way up he field as a left wing. He has looked solid and I thjnk he will start in these two games.

26. been living under a rock since world cup 2010 says:

$14 says Gomez and Altidore score Friday

and why no Bocanegra

• USSoccerHomer says:

boca hasn’t played in weeks for a bad spanish 2nd division team. no club PT = no mnt PT according to JK’s prior statements.

• The Imperative Voice says:

No Boca because he’s falling apart and not playing. It’s a Gooch-style omit but without letting Byers run by him first.

As someone who decayed into Old Man Soccer by the end, I don’t blame Klinsi one bit. If he’s unfit, dis-used, and prone to injury, is that really what I want for two altitude games, including Mexico away? We can’t afford him pulling up once and they score a goal.

27. Riggity says:

Say what you want about JK, dudes got balls, big German balls…

28. byrdman says:

I don’t understand bringing in 9 midfielders, when you are going to play MB and JJ for sure, that doesn’t leave much room for the other 7 guys?

Wow. This one is hard to get a handle on.

• ANM says:

I suspect that Edu is going to play at center back for these qualifiers.

• TheFrenchOne says:

klinnsman is just screwing with C.R. and Mexico. Edu is definitely there for defense (whether he plays or not, is a different story).

29. Ben Davidson says:

I’m scared

30. 21 says:

can Cherundolo and Bocanegra make it to Brazil with us?

• Elyk247 says:

Cherundolo will. I have my doubts about Bocanegra though.

• whoop-whoop says:

Much, much love, respect and appreciation for Boca… regretfully said in the form of a obituary because sadly, his international career is done and his club days in Europe are on the brink. Perhaps there may be a few years in MLS for him if that is what he wants.

31. Francois says:

These outside back selections are horrible, neither Morrow or Beltran played well against Canada. They are not international quality, was parkhurst injured too?

• USSoccerHomer says:

hasn’t even been dressing in germany for the last 3 weeks, even after the starting RB went down w/ injury.

• beachbum says:

so what? he’s still better than Beltran, no offense to him. Klinsmann’s rigidity on this could come back to bite

32. Monty says:

Big opportunity for a lot of players here.

33. 21 says:

so it’s decided that Bradley will be captain?

34. Steve says:

———————-Altidore—————-Gomez——————
    Beasley———————Dempsey———————–Zusi
    —————Bradley————————Jones——————–
    ———Besler————-Gonzalez—————-Cameron—–
    ——————————–Guzan————————————–

????….best guess?

• Travis in Miami says:

———————-Altidore—————————————
      Beasley———————Dempsey———————–Zusi
      —————Bradley————————Jones——————–
      ———Besler——Goodson——-Gonzalez—————-Cameron—–
      ——————————–Guzan————————————–

• scott47a says:

This looks the most right to me of any of the guesses on here, though I don’t know about Besler at left back. Has he ever played there?

The back may just be;
        Beasley-Edu-Gonzalez-Cameron

Even Ives is suggesting Beasley may play at the back.

• Colin in MT says:

I think you’ve got to start Gomez. JK started Torres as LB in the last round, albeit against A&B. I’d rather have Beasley, who played some LB (not well) under Bradley). Edu was starting CB in Azteca and handled himself well.

Dempsey——–Altidore——–Gomez

———————Corona

———Bradley—————Jones

Beasley——Gonzo—–Edu——-Cameron

• tremendous says:

Colin I think your lineup is actually very very strong. Just gotta give credit when/where credit is due.

• Dennis says:

This looks like a lineup that attempts to put the players in the best form at present in positions resembling what they do for their clubs, but 3 in back? Beasley has the legs to get back to help, does Zusi contribute defensively as well?

• Alex says:

In this formation, he’d have to. I’m not sure he’s cut out for the outside mid role in a 3-5-2.

• zztoppppp says:

I really hope you’re right.

But I get have a bad feeling it’s going to look more like this:

Johnson—–Altidore—–Gomez
      ——-Jones———Bradley—–
      —————Edu—————–
      Morrow——————Cameron
      ——–Besler——Gonzalez—–
      —————Guzan—————

• Old School says:

I actually don’t mind that lineup, aside from Edu being played in the XI.

Sub him out, drop in Zusi and push back Jones or Bradley.

• triumph says:

you forgot Dempsey, yes?

• steveo says:

Klinsmann already has a clear preference for defensive minded mids and given how ridiculously thin the backline is, 3 defensive mids are a guarantee, also Edu and Cameron have experience versus Mexico in Azteca, so I’ll pencil both of them in and it all looks something like this…

Dempsey-Gomez
        Jones-Bradley-Zusi
        Beckerman

Beasley-Edu-Gonzalez-Cameron

• TheFrenchOne says:

so you’re sticking with 3 d-mids? i’ll pass

• swifty says:

Agreed. Given we brought only 6 def and 9 mids a 3-5-2 makes sense and allows us to leave all inexperienced defenders on the bench. However, I highly doubt this will happen considering we have no experience playing this formation. I do feel that it would make the best use of the current roster tho.

35. Paul Butterworth says:

Well, here’s Jurgen trusting MLS. Let’s see how this goes…

• baropbop says:

Exactly. Perdonally would have chosen guys riding the bench in europe over them… at least we might get an isolated experiment

36. MO says:

Seems as though the thought is the best defense is a good offense

37. Monty says:

I wonder if Beasley or Shea get a chance at LB.

• Sandtrout says:

Couldn’t Heath Pearce have been a help there? Experienced and playing pretty well, no?

• Ferris says:

I agree, Sandtrout. Can’t believe Pearce wasn’t called in as an emergency – although he hasn’t been in any camps under JK, so I guess it’s not a total shock. Would have liked to see Cory Ashe from the Dynamo. He’s not perfect, but he’s fast enough to recover from his mistakes.

• zztoppppp says:

I would have liked Orozco Fiscal come in at RB and have Cameron at LB

38. Mc says:

this will be ugly, no denying that. mexico and costa rica are licking their chops right now. i hope our defense can hold together. for the first time though, i am realizing that we may not be in the world cup.

39. Rey Pygsterio says:

Goodson and Kljestan are good moves.

But overall this could be trouble.

• The Imperative Voice says:

Right, because what we need is an ineffective mid without wing qualities, and a CB who has made notable gaffes in recent games, ran right over someone on Russia.

• Chupacabra says:

Don’t forget Goodson’s disastrous performance against Mexico in the 2009 Gold Cup final. He hasn’t improved since then either.

40. Dennis says:

Wow! outside backs are who exactly?

I included the not-too-offensive midfielders Jones, Bradley, Edu, Beckermann and Kljestan among 7 who tend to get in each others’ way. I know they wont’t all be on the field at the same time, but the inclusion of so many may indicate Klinsmann will once again go with Bradley, Jones and one of the others (Edu?) to start.

Will JK go with 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, or 4-5-1?

Someone please tell me just how JK will deploy these guys, I am baffled?

• Anthony says:

4-4-2 most likely. Simply put, we cannot have a three man back as many of the people keep claiming that klinsman will do. Speed down the flanks most likely, with gomez and dempsey up top. (However, thinking about it now, Dempsey might not start) Simple, simple and more simple should be klinsman’s focus because of the squad he has right now.

41. Samurai says:

Everything appeared to be (forwards and midfield) solid until I ran into the defensive callups, but I heard that Fabian Johnson, Edgar Castillo, and Timothy Chandler were all going to be unavailable due to injury. That said, my impression of Beltran and Morrow is a questionalbe, all though most people were unimpressed with his (Beltran) play, along with most of the MLS players, in a Canada friendly a month ago. That likely had more to do with MLS players in offseason and not playing games. Regardless, if they come together as a team they can potentially win these two games.

42. Zac says:

Does anyone else have a problem with Jermaine Jones being given the captaincy (provided the rumors are true)?

• 2pac shakur says:

Yeah. Honestly it could lead to some serious dissension in the locker room

• Elyk247 says:

Maybe. But the man has been a Champions League player for years. He’s got experience in spades.

• Old School says:

Absolutely not. He plays hard, has skill, a wealth of experience and appears to get along with the guys.

That’s the description of a captain.

If you think his teammates don’t like him because he’s born in Germany, I think that’s a really out of touch assessment.

• Lucas says:

Exactly! Still don’t get all the hate for Jermaine Jones. His last yellow for the nats was a smart tactical foul he had to take. Really hasn’t been the liability people make him out to be.

• Tex says:

Jones plays for the US because he is not good enough for the German national team.

43. dcpohl says:

Wow! How many goals do we let in at Azteca with that defense?

• Travis in Miami says:

I could careless as long as we get three points from Costa Rica.

• mr coolio says:

You should care because it may come down to goal differential and we dont want to be in trouble because we leaked goals at Azteca.

44. cps says:

What a hodgepodge. Will make for some entertaining soccer though. Stocking up on popcorn and beer…

45. jidax says:

OK people , relax on JK, first of all he calls some of the MLS players and people complain , he calls German born players , we still complain oh an let us not forget he calls Mexican-american players , we still complain. GIVE THE GUY A BREAK !!! LET”S GO USA !!

• downintexas says:

I really don’t like Klinsman but his hands are tied, he can’t help injuries. I think fans are freaking out cause now there is a higher probabilitiy that we might lose these two.

• ATX_Colin says:

word

46. juice says:

so….eric l is definitely not an option for JK since he called morrow and beltran…

correct?

47. Matt says:

Fullbacks? Are we playing with three defenders?

48. cj says:

This how I see this line up

Guzan
    Cameron gonzo besler morrow
    Edu
    Bradley. Jones
    Corona
    Gomez. Altidore

Not sure what else he can do

Shae

49. DCUnitedWillRiseAgain says:

Shocked that Hamid didn’t get the nod over Rimando/Johnson after his NY performance. Sometimes I think JK is a couple weeks behind.

More evidence: He left off Danny Williams who has actually been playing better lately (which I am glad about, but it does prove my point)

More evidence: Shea was left off the roster for Stoke, but Brad Davis played very well for Houston, so he calls up Shea. wait what?

50. Bac says:

Sucks, but with all the injuries…what are you gonna do…
    guess my only surprise is no Boca

51. Jacknut says:

AWESOME! We get the Gold Cup roster several months early. When do we get the roster for this weekend?

• Rey Pygsterio says:

Best reply on this thread.

• byrdman says:

Well played Mauer.. Well played

• Samurai says:

These players don’t look like players for the B team Gold Cup roster. If that is the case then where are the players who can outperform Bradley,Altidore,Gomez,Guzan? We know where Donovan is, but if we have better ones then them that I haven’t heard or seen then we should at least have little trouble in qualifying.

52. Marco says:

Granted Lichaj hasn’t been playing much for Aston Villa…but if he can’t make the squad with all our injuries, we may never see him in a UNMNT jersey while Kilnsmann’s in charge. #Disappointing

• baropbop says:

• The Imperative Voice says:

Yeah, this was the shot. I don’t get it. Except maybe that since he’s not even looked at Lichaj, the guys he has seen apparently get a leg up even if they looked horrible when they played. Devil he knows, etc.

• beachbum says:

this is THE problem with the way Coach handled the buildup, and now by not having worked others into the mix the answers on thin once the injuries hit

weak excuse in my opinion. his job is to have contingency plans for this

53. slowleftarm says:

I’m a big NYRB homer but why not bring in Heath Pearce to play left-back? At least he has some USMNT experience. Probably Gonzalez and Edu in the middle with Cameron at RB. Not an inspiring back line.

Plus Klinsmann will play some ridiculous combination of midfielders that will ensure we can’t string 2 passes together.

And I’m usually an etneral optimist…

54. the unmistakeable Ronaldinho says:

Injuries obviously decimated the defense so Klinsmann went with what little he had available. However, I question the decision not to bring in a more experienced player (Bocanegra) just to be in the locker room. Jurgen will have to really earn his money with this group of players.

• the unmistakeable Ronaldinho says:

I’m not ruling out the 3-5-2 some have been throwig out there but just can’t see it as the wisest decision. I think we should stick with 4 at the back and make sure we have good cover for Morrow on the left. Personally I’d go with Beasley, but would not at all be surprised to see a #6 behind Bradley/Jones again to try to protect a brittle back 4. I think that handcuffs us offensively and puts even more pressure on us defensively as we struggle to keep possession or sustained attacks. My instant reaction is this. lineup.

————————-Guzan
      Cameron–Gonzales–Besler–Morrow
      —————-Bradley—–Jones
      Gomez————Dempsey——-Beasley
      ———————–Altidore

• ronniet says:

sorry but we will not see besler get the nod….if anything either goodson or edu will partner gonzalez at the back wih cameron sliding to either right or left back!!!! Evrything else looks pretty solid to me!

• the unmistakeable Ronaldinho says:

With the group of players available, Jurgen would be hard pressed to come out with a starting 11 that surprises me. He is going to have to be creative to make this work. All options should be on the table.

55. cps says:

I’m not suggesting Boca for WC14, but we sure could use his experience and leadership at Azteca.

56. A-lons says:

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

57. Elyk247 says:

We are in trouble, no doubt. Trial by fire is the best way to get the defense to learn though, right?
    Yeah…….I don’t think so either..

58. krazymunky says:

im for sure going to be drinking a lot at the pub before/during/after the games this friday and next tuesday.

59. Mat says:

Yet another example of how thin we are in the back in our player pool.
    I really don’t get why you don’t call up Boca here, at least to provide some clubhouse leadership, and an experienced backup option. Makes no sense, unless Boca said he wasn’t fit enough, who knows.
    Another experimental backline it seems, at this point, I’d rather see Cameron at RB like he plays a lot off so we can get him, Gonzo and Goodson on the field. They really are our 3 best and most internationally seasoned defenders from that list, which is frightening if you really think about it.
    I’m almost open to having Shea play LB even.
    The rest of the roster I haven’t many issues with. Our strike force is pretty decent, at last. Now to provide some service…
    Guzan
    Cameron, Gonzo, Goodson, Shea
    Bradley, Jones
    Clint, Zusi
    Jozy, Gomez

60. Clover362 says:

Shea was tried at LB for FC dallas a few time, he struggled with his positioning and honestly, it is a wast of his talents. Shea’s best ability is to beat defenders with speed and deliver very good crosses, he won’t get to do that at LB because CR and mexico will force any LB we field to stay at home.

This Roster strongly suggests a 3-5-2 formation, but if Klinsman does that I can almost assure you we will have beckerman, Edu, Bradley and Jones on the field. Nothing like 4 defensive midfielders to support and provide service to Altidore Dempsey and Gomez.

61. bryan says:

Sometimes i wonder if half of US fans even pay attention.

Cameron at rb, omar/edu (or goodson) at cb, morrow at lb. We are decimated by injuries. What did you all expect?! It’s the hand we were dealt.

• Travis in Miami says:

Left back is a concern but the rest I’m comfortable with. If the 6 in front can maintain possession and attack then no worries.

• The Imperative Voice says:

The hand we were dealt could still include Gatt, Lichaj, and some different players. This is not maximizing the hand dealt, it’s being dealt the hand and then further diluting the pool with wierd/rote picks like Kljestan, Beltran. The Bornstein comparisons are a propos. To use the Bradley Gold Cup example, it’s one thing to have the starter get hurt, it’s another thing to see this as the solution, eg, Bornstein.

62. PD says:

this caused my heart to skip a beat as much as the next person, BUT it might not be a bad thing.

it’s gonna be a horse race in both games. it’s put up or shut up time for the midfield and forwards. they’re gonna have to score at least 2 in each match to give us a chance. Knowing that will certianly spark any player worth their salt.

the defense knows ho they are and what folks are gonna say. this is agreat opportunity for these plyaers to show they are relevant to the USMNT conversation. hpefully it will bring th ebest out of them.

that said, come game time there is no making up for chemistry and timne spent playing together. this back line has none of that.

fun times.

63. David M says:

I won’t be surprised to see Jones at outside back — we have plenty of defensive mid’s.

Guzan
    Cameron-Gonzales-Goodson-Jones
    Zusi-Bradley-Edu-Demsey
    Altidore-Gomez

• DCUnitedWillRiseAgain says:

It looks like Cameron will be an outside back for sure. I bet he tries Shea at LB. I have always thought that would be awesome, but with his form the way it is I really don’t think this is the time…

• David M says:

An outside back is supposed to be a defender first. I really don’t see Shea as a defender.

• Vic says:

So you’ve been impressed by Jermaine Jones play at LB lately?

• David M says:

I’m not impressed by Jones at all; however, there was one game where he played left mid (at least for a half) and that, I thought, was his best game for the USMNT.

64. Roman Lewandowski says:

Needs to be Besler (LCB), Gonzalez (RCB), Cameron (RB). LB will be a weak link no matter what. Hopefully we can get the win vs. Costa Rica. Mexico will pillage that left side. Gold Cup redux?

65. Coach Beck says:

I’m in agreement with everyone else that there is genuine concern about not making the world cup but honestly if we can’t finish fourth in a six team group and then beat New Zealand we can’t say a damn thing about anyone!

• The Imperative Voice says:

I’m not panicking because we have a tough early draw and the easier games are coming in June. And as you point out, you basically only have to beat two teams, eg, Panama, Jamaica. But both those teams have easier Marches, and could put some space between us if they get some results and we don’t. So I think we need 3, to put us in a situation where in June we can get results and pass them.

But I am a little concerned that when Klinsi has some injuries happen, eg, the end of the last round, he makes some wierd picks, remains oddly stubborn about some people. Left Altidore out before, now he continues to leave out Lichaj.

I mean, CR and Mexico are hard enough without being quirky about the selection.

• Rory says:

But remember Mexico has an easy draw at the end of the hex… meaning they could be in the clear before they play Panama on the last week, just when the US might need Panama to lose.

66. Mark says:

since it’s such an experimental back line why not bring in AJ De La Garza?

• DCUnitedWillRiseAgain says:

because…TRex arms.

• ed - houston says:

LOL, lmao, but then i am thinking he really does not need monkey arms like in basketball.

• JC says:

I’m with you that AJ is up there in talent with some of the choices on the back line but he’s only going to bring in people that he had in the January camp and has had a chance to Germanize.

• baropbop says:

Why not start the entire galaxy back line? At least there would be cohesion

• Rory says:

My thought exactly, assuming it didn’t interfer with Concacaf Champions League. MLS is already looking at moving Galaxy games around, just offer Bruce Arena whatever he wants to not complain.

• White Kix says:

Maybe we could have Arena join them as guest coach for the week too. Then I might be hopeful for 3 points over the games.

67. Mike in Missouri says:

——————————-Guzan

Cameron—–Edu————-Besler/Gonzo———–Beasley

———————–Jones———————Bradley

————–Dempsey——————————-Corona

—————————-Gomez
    —————————————-Altidore

We win both games 5-4.

• Todd says:

I like this lineup. Edu is a vet and with Gonzo’s, could be a good pairing. Plus Beas could push up the flanks and has the legs to cover.

68. b says:

What do people expect Kinsi to do when Castillo, Chandler, Cherundolo, Johnson, and Spector are all injured?? Boca hasn’t played in six weeks – I really don’t want to see him on the field.

I think the fact that Beltran plays/trains at elevation with RSL got him on this roster for these fixtures. Don’t see him making the roster over Lichaj otherwise (even if he’s not playing at AV right now).

That said, I’m not super worried about the defense. We’ll probably see Beasley-Gonzo-Goodson-Cam. Cam plays RB for Stoke most of the time anyway, and Beasley has played LB for the Nats before. Besler and Edu are capable backups at CB. The outside back options off the bench give me less confidence…

69. TC says:

I consider myself a pretty big NT supporter. A little shocking when I have to look up Justin Morrow to see who he is and where he plays. I would much rather see Edu as a CB than Omar or Besler.

70. biff says:

Folks, Hoffenheim is in a brutal relegation battle right now fighting for life to stay in the 1. Bundesliga. Even if Johnson Johnson maybe would be fit for a game this next weekend for Hoffenheim, I could fully understand that club management does not want to risk reinjury. And ditto with Danny Williams who has been starting in recent weeks and has been solid. Williams played 90 minutes against Mainz Saturday and, quite frankly, I am skeptical that he is injured but no problem if the club was reluctant to let him go in a crisis relegation situation. As for Timothy Chandler, there was no hint on Saturday that he was injured and a bit of skepticism there and I am not surprised with Timmy bowing out. We cannot depend on this guy and Klinsmann better get that through his thick skull. Klinsmann should have been testing RB and LB alternatives during the past 18 months instead of having those long telephone conversations trying to convince Timmy to join up.

In any case, now we know why Klinsmann delayed announcing the roster, was maybe on the telephone pleading with players and/or clubs management.

71. Freddy says:

We’re in some trouble. This is by far the worst lineup that we’ve had for a game at Azteca is recent memory. I won’t begrudge Klinsmann for the injuries, but even if Boca hasn’t been playing lately, he should be called in for his experience. I’d even take Onyewu right now even though he hasn’t been playing.

• solles says:

Their time has passed, sadly. It is what it is, the USA has to rely on inexperienced defenders.

• beachbum says:

no it doesn’t. in fact, if that was the case, then these inexperienced guys should have been getting all the minutes the last 18 months

there’s no plan, never more evident

72. blag says:

With all the injuries, JK figures, well the back line got shafted already, so lets change it up a bit. Go all out on over loading the opponents with a 3 – 4 – 3 or 3 – 5 – 2 formation (only half joking here). This roster seems to practically telegraph a 3 man back line. I would rather not see that considering our back line has a been a big weakness (though the midfield problems compound the defensive problems), but the question is does JK think he can get more possession by overloading with 4/5 midfielders and 2/3 forwards. The back line will be susceptible to counter attacks (already was anyways, so do you really give up that much by going to 3 man back line?) If Jk has something that works in midfield in keeping the ball a bit more and the midfield is willing to push up, then the formations above could theoretically work pretty well. So something like:

Dempsey – Altidore
    Beasley/Shea? Sasha Zusi
    Jones Bradley
    Goodson/Besler? Gonzoles Cameron

Don’t get me wrong, this is a ballsy as hell line up. WCQ is not the time to experiment, but at least in this formation i feel like the players are at least close to their natural roles. And considering the injuries, this may be the time to do whatever you can to bolster what has been an absolutely pathetic attack (due to lack of width).

• blag says:

Or probably better,

sub out sasha, put in Gomez up top and put dempsey at center mid. The formation can easily switch from 3 5 2 to 3 4 3 when on the attack.

so the formation is:

Gomez – Altidore
      Beasley/Shea? Dempsey Zusi
      Jones Bradley
      Goodson/Besler Gonzales Cameron

73. DCUnitedWillRiseAgain says:

I think a lot is going to depend on Goodson’s form in camp…He can be good or bad, but he could just be the experience we need anchoring the line.

74. Mike in Missouri says:

Or we can try a 3-2-3-2

———Cameron—–Edu———Goodson

——————-Jones——Bradley

Zusi——————Dempsey——-Beasley

——————-Gomez——-Jozy

75. Jordan says:

Sucks about the back line, which is my only concern. But Cameron can play RB like he does for Stoke. Morrow or someone else can play LB. I actually see our attack as a strength as Eddie Johnson and Herc are in good form. Cant forget Altidore. Im praying he gets a goal on Friday or Tuesday.

76. Ramon says:

Holy F! The 2 outside backs called have zero qualifying experience and there is no depth. So I guess Parkhurst’s lack of play and Klinsman’s lack of interest have really bitten this team in the a$$. I would think an u-23 guy like Sarkodie and maybe Anibaba would suffice as depth. Even Sheanon Williams or Beitashour, but this dussel dork calls his players in so late there is no time 4 contingency plans. It makes me wonder if he knows any if the talent in MLS. He loves to throw last second curveballs. I really hope this works out for the team, but I’m very pessimistic right now.

• blag says:

As much as I like support houston, Sarkodie is no where near ready. He just spent a match getting torched. He has not been very strong in the last few dynamo matches.

• Ramon says:

Ok scratch him, but there are other options 4 depth is my point. De La Garza is another good example. I just don’t get Klinsman’s thought process.

• Scott says:

AJ!!! I love this guy and he has 7 years with Omar. He can play anywhere across the back line. Wins headers against guys a foot taller than him and gets forward. Handles guys one on one both defensively and offensively. He has been called into camp by both Bradley and Klinsy, so I am assuming he didn’t show well, but I love him at LA.

• The Imperative Voice says:

Amen. About the only difference between him and Ashe is Sarkodie can get up the field dangerously, hit a precision ball. But neither of them can man-mark well, and both make distributional gaffes.

And the idea of turning to the U23 team as a solution to anything strikes me as dunder-headed. They couldn’t hold off ES U23 for 20 minutes but they are going to stop Mexico senior in Azteca???????? I think that whole aspect of the selection shows Klinsi favors a pecking order of known quanitities at the expense of leaving out interesting players whose vice is they aren’t on the inside. Because if the pool is this depleted why not Mixx or Gatt instead of Kljestan; Lichaj instead of Morrow.

• Ramon says:

I meant lack of interest in Lichaj.

• Truthiness says:

Beitashour not an option… Hurt as well.

I do think Morrow is getting short shrift here – he is rounding into form in MLS (Also just scored over the weekend), so may be a viable option, and definitely has recovery speed.

• vik says:

I’m pretty bummed for Beitashour. He’s a more polished option than Beltran. He picked up his injury in USMNT camp right before their game, and Beltran took over. I think he would have been worth a look then and now. Too bad.

77. If we don’t score goals, which we should our defense has to show up, but this is so much pressure on such inexperienced defenders

78. Shep23 says:

If you have to go this deep into the roster why not bring out Seth Sinovic? He is part of a very good SKC defense and can get up and down the field.

79. Travis says:

The funniest thing about this roster is the shock inclusions (morrow/beltran) are stunning everyone so much that most haven’t had time to cringe at Beckerman’s inclusion. I hope Edu slides into CB for these qualifiers, interesting we brought 5 forwards. Also can’t help but wonder if Beasley will be at LB, I just don’t see the outside backs

80. roberto johnson says:

just finished 4th… just finish 4th…

81. Felix says:

That photo says it all – I feel like that’s what they’ll look like on Friday night.

82. Shep23 says:

BTW when I first looked at the roster I thought this was for a friendly…not Costa Rica and Mexico

83. Joe says:

The backline certainly is concerning, what has Tim Ream been up to with Bolton?

84. Justin says:

I like a

Cameron Gonzalez Edu Beasley
    Zusi Jones Bradley Dempsey
    Altidore Gomez

lineup…Not bad.

85. jerry 1984 says:

good bye world cup i say

86. JC says:

We should have just called in Alex Morgan and at least won the battle of sex appeal.

87. Vic says:

Would like to see this lineup:

Gomez Dempsey
    Zusi Corona
    Bradley Jones
    Morrow Goodson Gonzales Cameron

88. Dick Tracy says:

Back Four will be interesting, my depth chart for the 4-3-3 would look like this:

LB: Beasley, Morrow
    LCB: Besler, Goodson
    RCB: Gonzalez. Edu
    RB: Cameron, Beltran

CDM: Williams, Beckerman

CM1: Bradley, Kljeistan
    CM2: Corona, Jones

GK: Guzan, whatever

LW: Shea, Johnson
    CF: Altidore, Dempsey, Boyd
    RW: Zusi, Gomez

• zztoppppp says:

You do know that Williams isn’t on the roster, right?

And how could you bench Dempsey?

89. Micah says:

I do not care if Lihaj and Boca are not playing. They are at least training and are not injured. They should have been called up. I do not even want to watch the games cause I feel like the back line is going to get torn up. At least with Boca and Lihaj we could have gotten a tie in Azteca then beat Costa Rica and we would be good.

• Micah says:

Lichaj my bad.

• ChiTown says:

You don’t care if Boca is not good enough to make the field for a bottom of the table second division Spanish side, but you think he’s better suited to come in and play then players who are in good form for top division sides, but happen to be younger, because… ????

Why do you think Boca isn’t playing for his relegation-fodder second division team? He’s not very good anymore. Why would you say you want an old, out of form player who hasn’t seen the pitch in months to play over someone who is actively playing in a first division?

90. Brain Guy says:

Wow. Looks like circumstances may force JK to throw his cards on the table and unveil the proactive, attacking US team he has been promising. This is definitely not a squad you want to see sitting back and absorbing pressure. It may be pedal to the metal.

91. David says:

With all these midfielders and minimal quality at the back, I’m surprised nobody had trotted out the old 3-6-1!

92. Jim in Atlanta says:

Wake me when it’s over.

93. Gary Page says:

They better score a lot of goals. This defense reeks. Why not Orozco Fiscal? He just played 90 minutes in Mexico and I know he wasn’t that great before, but he’s got to be better than Besler or Morrow. Edu will have to play on the back line, he did well before. Then you have Edu, Cameron, Goodson, and Gonzalez as decent players. The question is who plays on the left. Bob Bradley played Beasley once at left back and he was torched. He has speed, but is just too frail, can get muscled off the ball too easily to be effective in defense. And I think it would be a big mistake to play 3 in the back. I would put Edu on the left, Goodson and Gonzalez in the middle, and Cameron on the right. Lots of decisions to be made in midfield and up top, but it won’t matter much if they don’t get the back line in order. This is the worst news regarding the national team I can remember. Well, there’s always March Madness and my team made the field if these qualifiers get too brutal to watch.

94. Jon Roberts says:

Whatever the line up is, even if the defense is not up to par, we need to have Jozy playing up top with one or two attacking partners, we’ve seen time and time again that if he’s playing up top on his own he gets little to no service. The more chances he gets the better!

95. Brad says:

My chest hurts looking at this roster. I imagine I will have a full cardiac event in Denver this week.

96. VMan says:

I can see us playing at home with:

—————–Altidore——————–

Shea————Dempsey——–Zusi—–

————Jones—–Bradley—————

-Morrow — Gonzalez — Edu — Cameron-

—————Guzan———————

at Azteca:

————-EJ—————–Herc———-
    ——————Dempsey——————-
    ————Bradley——–Jones————
    ——————Edu—————–
    -Morrow — Gonzalez — Goodson — Cameron-
    —————Guzan————————-

• solles says:

Think we’d get slaughtered on the wings at Azteca with that lineup.. a 4-5-1 to me is more likely, hope for a point.

97. DC Josh says:

Well, honestly the biggest question mark are the fullback positions. So, as long as we get wing support from midfield, we will be all right against Costa Rica. Every other position I feel comfortable with in both games, even goalkeeper.

However, 90 minutes in Azteca will feel like 90 millenia. Not looking forward to the stress that game will cause me, especially if we don’t win in Colorado. Our wings will get severely exploited.

98. jon says:

I say we can all calm down a bit. The backline is a little scary but probably the best guys we could’ve called up given the bad luck and bad timing of all those injuries. Goodson has experience in huge games for us, Cameron should be more comfortable and he and Edu played well together in Azteca (albeit under much different circumstances). If we stick Beasley at LB, at the very very least we’ll have great speed there.

All in all, our forwards are playing really well right now, Dempsey has been consistently scoring for the Nats of late, Bradley is Bradley, and we finally have some wing options with Shea and Beasley to play with a little width. Look back at some of the rosters from 2010 and 2006 WC Qualifying. ..this team isn’t elite but it’s without any doubt in my mind, good enough for one of the top 3 spots out of these 6 teams.

The sky isn’t falling yet. There’s plenty to like about this team and we can root for them expecting to win against Costa Rica and hoping for a point at Azteca. No point in dreading these upcoming games, let’s just root for the team we have out there.

99. Quitetheschemer says:

Here is the lineup I would run with the USA squad. People in the named first in the /’s are the first options, but I acknowledge some flexibility. I think this will work for the USA cause we have all our depth at midfield. I like dempsey in the playmaker role. I aslo think Sasha is a better playmaker than most, and Beasley has lots of experience in games like this.

——————-Altidore———————–Gomez/Boyd/Johnson
    ———————————-Dempsey———————————–
    —————Beasley—————————-Kjlestan/Shea/Zuzi
    ————Jones——————-Bradley————–Edu——–
    ———–Besler—————-Gonzalez————–Cameron
    ———————————-Guzan——————

100. PD says:

this is the nearest I can make sense of…

Guzan
    Cameron Gonzalez Besler
    Beckerman Edu
    Herc Bradley Jones Beasely
    Dempsey

101. harry says:

You my friend are dead wrong about Brad Davis being too slow. He plays the ball quickly and very accurately which overides his pace which is not bad in the first place

102. bbstl says:

I’m actually okay with this. Are we desparately thin on the backline? Yes, of course we are. But, realistically, Costa Rica is the worst team in the Hex, and we should be able to handle them at home. Did we really think that even with a full squad we were going to get points at Azteca?

103. Ed says:

Alot of people hoping for Edu at CB.. While I think Edu is a pretty versatile player and obviously was part of the result at Azteca, people need to remember that we looked AWFULLY shaky most of that match and would have lost 2, 3 – 0 if not for some brilliant saves from Howard. Honestly, given this roster, I like the idea of Gonzo-Besler in the middle since they seemed to work well together vs Canada. Granted they had zero pressure the entire game, but at least they will have had some game experience together, unlike Cameron-Gonzo in Honduras.

104. MIKE R says:

UGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This defense blows, Mex 4 USA 0

• blag says:

While that may be the score in the end, games are written on the field, not on paper. This usa squad needs to remember the grit and pride the usa teams of the past were known for. That old never say die spirit just does not seem to be there with this team. The urgency to play tough on opponents is missing.

105. SeattleSportsByMe says:

While I fully understand the concern over lack of experience at the back line, I’m happy to see some new names in the mix. It wasn’t like the Chandler and Johnson were killing it. Lightening in a bottle maybe? If Beltran, Morrow or Besler can show anything positive, it would go a long way to improving that backline depth. I’m cautious but excited to watch.

• MIKE R says:

Morrow and Besler have played before…

So I repeat, our defense blows.

I didnt want to go to Brazil anyway

• SeattleSportsByMe says:

LOL they have a combined total of three senior team appearances. They may be trash, but you can’t make that claim after once appearance each. I agree it doesn’t look good, but the backline HAS NOT BEEN GOOD for a while now (some would say ever). The new names may be the same as the old names, but you are going to be hard pressed to convince me it will be any worse.

106. Isaac says:

Have to feel for Klinsmann with all the injuries that occured on him, and in the defense of all places. It should be said that if he manages four points out of six, or even three, he deserves a massive pat on the back.

That said, I wonder if the U.S. might consider going with a back three. This could be quite useful against two man strike forces, which is what the U.S. faced against Honduras. Any time we’ve had two strikers up against our two centerbacks, it’s been a scary affair. The worst case had to be when Tim Ream and Clarence Goodson were dragged around by Blas Perez and Luiz Tejada of Panama in the 2011 Gold Cup.

With a back three, or a back five depending on how you look at it, we would be able to double team dangerous attackers, and our defense wouldn’t constantly need a shield.

107. MIKE R says:

,..

And once again Mexico is missing no one to serious injury

need to rethink the hack a man leagues or players play in Germany England and MLS

108. Anthony says:

Starting Line Up:

Guzan
    Cameron – Gonzales – Besler – Morrow
    Zusi – Bradley – Jones – Shea (maybe Beasley)
    Dempsey – Gomez (Altidore will start on the bench)

• Anthony says:

We do not have the skill or defensive ability to play a 3-5-2, even thought I would LOVE it. Watch the Italians, Napoli and Juventus play the 3-5-2 and tell me if we have anyone even close to their level of distribution, and ball winning skills in the back to play that system. Ultimately, because it’s the easiest to play 4-4-2 with players who’ve never played before, I think he will go with this formation, and if needed, can take off besler to add attack with another winger and move cameron into the middle. Edu can be subbed on if needed to go defensive.

Ultimately, we need to look ourselves in the mirror and realize that skill wise, we are not close to the top, so we need a formation that is easy to play, and somewhat comfortable for the players and their short training session together.

• pjsmoov says:

Works for me. Or replace Zusi with Gomez and put Dempsey and Jozy up top. Not sure why several on here want to put our only speedy midfielders at left back.

109. Michael says:

I’d like to see this lineup. I think it utilizes the best and most experienced players we’ve got available.
    Guzan
    Cameron-Gonzalez-Edu-Beasley
    Jones
    Bradley
    Dempsey Shea
    Johnson – Jozy

110. Soccertes says:

Lots to comment on, but I’ll keep it simple:

1. Terrible luck with player unavailability – these paricular injuries plus the Saga of Landon put Klinsi in a position I can’t recall RoboBob ever being in. It’s almost no-win. Let’s hope not literally.

2. All Hail the Return of DMB! I had unoficially campaigned for it for months (OK, I wrote 3 tweets including one to Klinsmann when I was drunk, but still). Seriously, he’s got a ton of WC experience – in qualifying and the Big Show – he’s speedy, can stretch the field, has a left foot, and he’s been scoring in Mexico. I like what he brings to the squad.

3. Stop whining over Boca. He hasn’t played in 6 weeks, when he did it was for questionable competetion, and he’s clearly lost a step. No disrespect for all his accomplishments and contributions – just pointing out that he’s not the dramatic loss or omission so many people think he is.

4. Don’t get worked up over how this team will fare in Azteca. We’re not supposed to win that one. No US team has ever won a WCQ there (not sure how many draws – anyone?), and until they pulled a rabbit out of a sombrero there last year, they had never won there, period. That game is gravy. Costa Rica at home, however, is a must-win.

5. Stop blaming the coach. I love our guys with often rabid devotion, but we’re not that good, and the rest of CONCACAF, and indeed the world, keeps getting better.

6. Can’t wait ’til Friday.

111. Todd says:

LOL…I hope you are happy Bruce Arena. Be careful what you ask for you just might get it. So much for all those dual nationals taking American spots.(Please understand the humor in this post) Wishing a speedy recovery for those sick and injured.

112. wilyboy says:

Those fullbacks are going to kill us. This team already has trouble with a balanced performance, if we can’t get strong overlapping play from our fullbacks, I can’t even imagine how bad this is going to be.

On a side note, I’m glad Hamid wasn’t called in, as he’s the only thing keeping DC solvent at this point. I’m starting to think that making the save of the week every week in MLS still won’t get through JK’s thick skull.

113. Goalscorer24 says:

Our entire defense is depleted with injuries. Scary. Well these guys will be getting thrown into the fire. Hopefully they can play well.

114. chris_thebassplayer says:

JK will open it up and push the attack. The back line is thin but hopefully they won’t have as much to do. Omar and Cameron in the middle with Morrow on the left. I don’t mind Beltran on the right. I’d rather see Cameron in the middle instead of RB.

4-2-3-1

JK’s front six

…………………………Jozy………………………..
    Shea………………..Deuce……………….Herc
    …………..Jones…………….MB…………………..

What I’d like to see for this game.

…………………….Deuce…………………………
    Shea……………Corona…………………..Herc
    ………….Jones…………….MB……………….

Deuce isn’t a target forward, but he’ll draw a ton of fouls around the box and draw more defensive attention than Jozy…opens things up for Herc and Corona.

We’re going to rise to the occasion and put a few in. We just need to manage the counters and we’ll be fine.

115. Fifawitz1313 says:

Pretty clear we r going to be parking a big fat bus in Azteca. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us park 10 men in the box.

Azteca line-up playing for a 0-0 draw:

Cameron-gonzo-Goodson-?
    Edu-Beckerman
    Bradley Jones
    Dempsey
    Altidore

116. Luetchy says:

Altidore
    EJ Dempsey Herc
    Bradley Jones
    Beasley Edu Gonzo Cameron
    Guzan

Zusi if Dempsey is not matchfit.
    Beasley and Edu due to international experience and because I want Beasley putting pressure high. Morrow and Besler a possibility instead. No idea how Goodson has been doing since I haven’t caught much Danish Superliga lately (or any, ever).

Shea for EJ and/or Zusi for Herc at 75′ since I figure they will have a lot of action and will be gassed at altitude.
    Kljestian for Dempsey and Beckerman for Bradley if game is in hand since they are sitting on yellows.

117. Dan M says:

Guys, this line up can’t be any worse than what was featured against Canada. And the boys will be well acclimated, unlike their trip to Honduras. Temps in the 40s at 5280 feet should favor the guys who have been playing in N. Europe (but Costa Rica has a few internationals too). Should be a telling game. We can expect attrition throughout the WCup cycle and if we can’t handle it at home v. a Central American club, then we have no business advancing anyway.

118. chuck says:

Man oh man. This defense is gonna be annhilated by Mexico. Sure they could come out uninspired like vs. Jamaica but it’s more likely that they’ll be utterly pissed off after being surpassed in douchebaggery by Honduras a few days earlier.

119. Cairo says:

Don’t have the time to read through 100 plus comments. I’ll just say that I’m happy to see Beas back on the team. A tireless worker, still faster than average, and always willing to track back.
    What’s I’d put out if I were coach for a day:
    ———————EJ—————————
    —————Dempsey————————-
    Beas————Bradley——————–Herc
    ——————Edu——————————
    Morrow—-Goodson—-Gonzo———-Cameron

Morrow is a hard worker, tough, doesn’t back down. Herc and Beas are two tireless runners who will track back but can also create something from the wing. I prefer EJ to Jozy in a single striker setup. Goodson has mostly been ok with the nats. Let Gonzo be the enforcer, as this is the only area where Goodson has disappointed. This could work. I haven’t watched Corona enough to say how he fits in-he’d be my one wildcard. This lineup I think can get three points in Costa Rica and at least have a chance in Mexico

120. jlm says:

break out game coming up for brek

121. Applequist says:

After Honduras it seemed possible that Klinsy would be in danger of losing his job with 1 point after the first three Hex games. Now, Klinsy has the excuse of injuries to hold on to his job despite 0 points after the first three (dare we say four?) games.

122. YO says:

Good thing I don’t pay for those funky channels that televise these games anymore.

123. Paul Miller says:

So, our rookie center back who looked like a rookie in his first qualifier… is suddenly looking like our strongest defender.

Not down on Gonzalez, because I think he has a national team future, but… for the moment… crap.

124. pancholama says:

So after reading a great deal of commentary regarding, this that and the other, this player, that player, Klinsi or no Klinsi, philosopher, or tactitian – I have to go with my gut on this selection of players -
    mmmmmmmm……………..I have a bad, bad feeling about this.

125. K says:

no excuse for the crap that Landon Donovan is pulling.

He’s not a super star yet he acts like one.

• pancholama says:

The cynical view is that Landon has always been about himself first, then his team, then the USMNT. Sad but true.

The glass is half full argument would say that he deserves some time off. If he is going to make it to Brazil and make it there with us in decent shape – if he needs the time to rest and repair, and he has earned it. He has put in a lot of miles for the USMNT and scored lots of important goals for the team in big games.

I say give the cow a large pasture. The cow knows when to return to the barn.

• beachbum says:

he’s already done it for 3 World Cup cycles dude, get over it. Klinnsman is the coach who supposedly going to take us to the next level right now

we’ll see

126. 20 says:

big test for some young guys to step up. Just want to put out the list of players that are injured or missing for other reasons. I hope this puts things in perspective. We are not doomed, these games are just coming at a really bad time injury-wise, and if we get through them we will know a lot about the depth and character of this time. If disaster strikes and get 2 or less points from these games.. well then we still have 7 games left to put things right with all of our starters.

Cherundolo
    Bocanegra
    Chandler
    Parkhurst
    Donovan
    Howard
    F. Johnson

7 big name players missing, 5 or 6 are probably starters

• pancholama says:

crossing my fingers, and hitting my knees, praying that this bunch of guys will be Boyz to Men and play with heart and soul – come together and really represent

127. Chupacabra says:

If Goodson, Beckerman, and/or Shea play any of these matches the US is not going to Brazil.

128. ACS says:

We do have Guzan who is used to playing with AVs defense, which is also very weak.

129. Joamiq says:

Happy with the midfield and forwards, but dear lord, the backline…

I think we have to go with:

Cameron-Gonzalez-Edu-Beasley
    Dempsey-Bradley-Jones-Shea
    Jozy-Gomez

Going with a back four that has never played together before and features two midfielders and a kid with barely any experience is almost suicidal, but I don’t see a better option based on what’s available. You can’t throw guys like Beltran, Besler, and Morrow into the cauldron at Azteca. I think we basically have to assume we’re going to give up multiple goals and have to go all out on the attack.

130. beachbum says: