By FRANCO PANIZO
If Joe Gyau’s latest outing is a sign of things to come, the youngster better be ready for a heavy dose of playing time.
Gyau started and went the distance in a league game for the first time in his blossoming career on Sunday, helping St Pauli defeat VfR Aalen, 1-0. The win was the 20-year-old Gyau and St Pauli’s second consecutive and it helped to further distance them away from the 2. Bundesliga’s relegation zone.
Two other players who enjoyed some success were Herculez Gomez and Jozy Altidore. Gomez scored two goals and had an assist in a Man-of-the-Match-worthy performance in Santos Laguna’s 3-1 win over Jaguares de Chiapas on Friday night. Altidore, meanwhile, broke the record for goals scored in a single season by an American playing overseas when he netted his 24th goal across all competition in AZ Alkmaar’s 2-1 loss to RKC Waalwijk on Sunday.
It was not all good news this weekend. Tim Howard saw his consecutive start streak in the Premiership come to a close on Saturday, as he missed Everton’s 3-1 win over Reading with a back injury. Howard was two games shy of matching Neville Southall’s club record of 212 consecutive league starts.
Here’s how the Americans Abroad performed this weekend:
- Brek Shea came off the bench and played 23 minutes in Stoke City’s 1-0 loss vs. West Ham United on Saturday.
- Geoff Cameron dressed but did not play for Stoke City.
- Sebastian Lletget did not dress West Ham United’s 1-0 win vs. Stoke City on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel dressed but did not play in Tottenham’s 2-1 win vs. Arsenal on Sunday.
- Clint Dempsey did not dress for Tottenham. He is recovering from an injury.
- Tim Howard did not dress in Everton’s 3-1 win vs. Everton on Saturday. He is recovering from an injury.
- Brad Guzan and Aston Villa play Manchester City on Monday.
- Eric Lichaj and Aston Villa play Manchester City on Monday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City’s 5-2 loss vs. Hull City on Saturday.
- Will Packwood did not dress for Birmingham City. He is recovering from a leg injury.
- Conor Doyle dressed but did not played in Derby County’s 1-0 loss vs. Crystal Palace on Friday.
- Zak Whitbread dressed but did not play in Leceister City’s 1-0 loss vs. Ipswich Town on Saturday.
- Stuart Holden dressed but did not play in Bolton Wanderers’ 3-2 win vs. Barnsley on Saturday.
- Tim Ream did not dress for Bolton Wanderers.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United’s 1-0 loss vs. Notts County on Saturday.
- Mike Grella came off the bench and played 10 minutes in Scunthorpe United’s 1-0 loss vs. Brentford on Saturday.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Malaga CF’s 0-0 draw vs. Atletico Madrid on Sunday.
- Carlos Bocanega dressed but did not play in Racing Santander’s 2-0 loss vs. Numancia on Sunday.
- Michael Bradley came off the bench and played 51 minutes in AS Roma’s 3-1 win vs. Genoa on Sunday.
- Jermaine Jones started, played 90 minutes, and received a yellow card in Schalke 04′s 4-1 win vs. VfL Wolfsburg on Saturday.
- Fabian Johnson started and played 90 minutes in TSG 1899 Hoffenheim’s 1-0 loss vs. Bayern Munich on Saturday.
- Danny Williams started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
- Timmy Chandler did not dress in FC Nurnberg’s 1-1 draw vs. SC Freiberg on Saturday. He was suspended due to yellow card accumulation.
- Michael Parkhurst did not dress in FC Augsburg’s 1-0 win vs. Werder Bremen on Saturday.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen’s 2-1 win vs. VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo did not dress in Hannover 96′s 3-1 loss vs. Borussia Dortmund on Saturday. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Joe Gyau started and played 90 minutes in St Pauli’s 1-0 win vs. VfR Aalen on Sunday.
- John Anthony Brooks started and played 90 minutes in Hertha Berlin’s 1-0 loss vs. Dynamo Dresden on Saturday.
- Alfredo Morales came off the bench and played 12 minutes for Hertha Berlin.
- Andrew Wooten started, played 73 minutes and received a yellow card in SV Sandhausen’s 3-1 win vs. SSV Jahn Regensburg on Friday.
- Bobby Wood came off the bench and played 45 minutes in TSV 1860 Munich’s 1-1 draw vs. FC Ingolstadt 04 on Sunday.
- Jozy Altidore started, played 90 minutes and scored a GOAL in AZ Alkmaar’s 2-1 loss vs. RKC Waalwijk on Sunday.
- Tony Taylor came off the bench and played three minutes in G.D. Estoril Praia’s 2-0 win vs. Rio Ave on Sunday.
- Caleb Patterson-Sewell dressed but did not play in Vitoria Setubal’s 2-0 loss vs. Pacos de Ferreira on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu started and played 90 minutes in Bursaspor’s 1-0 win vs. Sivasspor on Sunday.
- Sacha Kljestan did not dress n RSC Anderlecht’s 7-6 loss on penalty kicks after a 1-0 loss in regulation vs. Genk in the second leg of their Cofidis Cup semifinals series on Saturday. He was serving a suspension.
- Conor O’Brien started and played 84 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland’s 1-0 win vs. AC Horsens on Sunday.
- Clarence Goodson came off the bench and played 80 minutes in Brondby IF’s 2-0 loss vs. Randers FC on Sunday.
- Charlie Davies came off the bench and played two minutes in Randers FC’s 2-0 win vs. Brondby IF on Sunday.
- Terrence Boyd started and played 90 minutes in Rapid Vienna’s 2-1 loss vs. Wolfsberger AC on Sunday.
- Herculez Gomez started, played 74 minutes, scored TWO GOALS and had an ASSIST in Santos Laguna’s 3-1 win vs. Jaguares de Chiapas on Saturday.
- Hector Joya did not dress for Santos Laguna. He is currently with the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team.
- DaMarcus Beasley started and played 90 minutes in Puebla’s 1-0 win vs. Leon on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal did not dress for Puebla. He was serving a one-game suspension for the red card he received last weekend.
- Edgar Castillo started and played 90 minutes in Club Tijuana’s 1-0 loss vs. Atlas on Saturday.
- Joe Corona came off the bench and played 16 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
- Jose Torres started and played 73 minutes in Tigres UANL’s 1-1 draw vs. Morelia on Saturday.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress for Tigres UANL.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America’s 3-0 win vs. Cruz Azul on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Think Gyau will continue to earn starts for St Pauli? Do you see Altidore scoring for the U.S. Men’s National Team in the upcoming World Cup qualifiers?
Share your thoughts below.