Robbie Rogers comes out, steps away from pro soccer at 25

Photo by ISIPhotos.com

By IVES GALARCEP

Robbie Rogers is retiring stepping away from the game of soccer at the age of 25. Not because of an injury, but because he is embarking on a new chapter in his life after making the decision announce that he is gay.

The former U.S. National Team player and Columbus Crew midfielder came out in a letter written on his official website.

Secrets can cause so much internal damage. People love to preach about honesty, how honesty is so plain and simple.   Try explaining to your loved ones after 25 years you are gay. Try convincing yourself that your creator has the most wonderful purpose for you even though you were taught differently.

Rogers left MLS for England after the 2011 season and spent two years with Leeds United, where he played sparingly. He only recently had his MLS rights traded from the Columbus Crew to the Chicago Fire, but he has now announced his retirement as a player.

A member of the Crew’s 2008 MLS Cup-winning team, Rogers made 18 appearances with the U.S. Men’s National Team, scoring two goals, including a winner against Mexico in 2011 in Jurgen Klinsmann’s head coaching debut with the U.S.

What do you think of the news? Impressed with Rogers’ courage to come out? Disappointed that he is retiring stepping away from the game? Hopeful that he returns to pro soccer soon?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, Featured, MLS- Columbus Crew. Bookmark the permalink.

268 Responses to Robbie Rogers comes out, steps away from pro soccer at 25

1. Darwin says:

Good luck Robbie.

• danny says:

I respect your courage. I hope you figure out what’s best for you. I also think you have a lot of talent and I hope you play soccer again here stateside.

• Rory says:

I’d like to see him return. He was a good player, good enough to start on most teams even if he never quite hit his potential. Chicago’s fans have show themselves to be quite accepting of diversity (remember the diversity rainbow Tifo a couple years ago?). I guess when/if he does come back there could be a bit of a media circus and that’s not always what a team needs to perform, but I’m rooting he isn’t finished with pro soccer.

• PetedeLA says:

+1 As much as I like to think people are past picking on someone because of their sexual preference, the reality is the soccer world just isn’t there yet. He must have been through a lot over the years. Just wish he can somehow come back into the game. Wish him the best of luck in his new career. I’d certainly support him if he came to the Galaxy.

• anti-TimVickery says:

wow, thats a shocker. he should stay in the game, perhaps in mls where small stadiums and tight security could keep a lid on homophobic chants/banners, etc.

• anti-TimVickery says:

portland already has a gay flag on the lower wall of the stands next to other banners…saw one at a game earlier

• alf says:

I know this is about Rogers but David Testo of a concern to me. He played at the HS I used to coach at and I firmly believe he was a No. 10 at the MNT level. His field vision was impeccable with high level passing. I’m not a gay advocate but just a human. Why didn’t Testo get a chance?

2. Mike V. says:

Interesting…….. .. I thought he was stateside and not in London. Whatever, kudos for him for coming to terms with who he is and wanting to enter the next chapter of his life. I hope he doesn’t hang up the boots. Hopefully, the burden of hiding within himself, can spring to life a career that has stalled in England. Nonetheless, he’s taken a massive leap to share who he is and as a professional athlete, in the spot light, that is hard to do.

• Josh D says:

I feel the same way. However, for other gay athletes, I hope he manages to come back into the sport. It can only help gay rights to have public figures, especially sports stars who are rare, come out and continue living a normal life.

Best of luck to Robbie. I hope his coming out goes smoothly. He was always one US fans harped on, however, he was there and put forth an effort.

• Big Chil says:

+100% Hope you’ll step back into soccer someday, Robbie.

• Justin says:

That makes me pissed, who cares if he is gay. He is still 25 and in his prime. I hope he comes back and plays. So what if he did not break though in England, many people try and fail in Europe. At least I hope he comes back and plays in the States, RSL would be proud to have him.

• Sandtrout says:

RSL might be proud to have him — great team — but Utah might not be so proud. If I were Robbie, I’d look elsewhere.

• Utahn says:

Interesting comment about Utah. I think SLC has one of the highest homosexual percentages per capita. People are very understanding in Utah – contrary to the views of us by folks not in Utah.

Nothing wrong with being gay. I hope he keeps playing.

• The B in Apt 23 says:

Actually, The Advocate (a prominent LGBT Magazine) voted Salt Lake as the most gay friendly city in 2012

link to tinyurl.com

You might want to know about a place before you make statements like this. Come visit sometime.

• Matthew says:

Wow! That is an awfully bigoted and uninformed comment. Nothing like trying to pretending to not be a hater by hating. Nice.

3. Sly says:

Sorry he left wish he had stayed but I cant imagine what hed have to go through in any locker room in England or the songs the opponents would sing if he got into a game.

4. Tim says:

Good for him to be able to come out. However, if he is only retiring because he feels he wont be accepted, thats a shame. It’s a sad state affairs when most MLS fans would accept him gladly, but the “bro” culture that pervades among the players would do so only superficially.

• Skippy says:

Looking forward to the day when athletes can come out while still active players and not suffer repercussions.

• patrick says:

I agree entirely, but from the day Robbie got on twitter, you could tell that he wasn’t soccer24/7/365. He has a menswear company, Halsey, and recently took a job at Mens Health. Without speaking to him, I think this decision came with more than just soccer in mind.

• brent says:

Totally agree with you guys.. good for him for coming out and being true to himself.

Although, as a former athlete, I would imagine that having a gay teammate would be a challenge with locker room situations..

• Nate says:

If you played on more than one or two teams, you certainly had a gay teammate. More straight athletes need to be clear that this won’t be an issue for them.

• Hogatroge says:

The old “I wouldn’t want a gay teammate” BS again.

Does every woman on the street stop to check you out? What makes you think you’d be God’s gift to gay men all of the sudden?

5. Truthiness says:

Definitely disappointed he is leaving the game – still could come home and be a solid MLS contributor. San Jose needs depth on the wings.

6. Dave says:

Courageous. Hopefully he will stay in shape and perhaps reconsider his retirement unless it really his long term wish to leave soccer. Good luck either way.

7. ed the zombie says:

I’m happy for him, but I would be more impressed if he stuck with the game

8. Bobo says:

Major props, but it’s a shame we live in a society where this has to be made a big deal of.

9. Hogatroge says:

Congrats to Robbie for his bravery. I wonder what his life plans are now that soccer is going by the wayside.

Not to nitpick, but his goal against Mexico back in 2011 was the match-tying goal, not the winner.

10. ed - houston says:

Bummer, he could have came out and still played. Soccer fans/players, in general, are more tolerant (at least here in the US) than other domestic sports. This reminds me of that homphobic 49er player that was in the news last month.

11. ec says:

Don’t retire, dude, we need wingers!

12. Bob L says:

It would be said if he is retiring because of this announcement. Maybe once he has rejuvenated from the toll of a 1/4 of a century of having a secret he will come back. The important thing is he does what is right for him !

13. kyle detwiler says:

someone pick this guy up and make him a marketing bonanza (but he retires probably not wanting to be a poster boy”

14. steve says:

i seriously doubt any member of the chicago fire would not pass the ball to him or be happy when he scored and he would seriously help attendance at toyota park in my opinion he needs to get to chicago and get on the field.

15. Shane says:

I hope he changes his mind about retiring. He is a fantastic talent

• Jacknut says:

While I hope his changes his mind about retiring, I wouldnt go so far as to call him a fantastic talent. He’s a servicable pro, which is no small feat.

• Shane says:

Well I would. Everytime I have seen him play live in person, he clearly stands out as a different level of athlete than most of his peers in MLS.

• fischy says:

He’s a pretty darn good talent. Maybe he’s not EPL material, but for an American, he’s in the top echelon.

• Francois says:

He most certainly isn’t in the top echelon of American players if he isn’t EPL of even Championship quality. Don’t sell our players short, the top echelon of player plays in leagues better than the one Rogers couldn’t get games in. Although, maybe if he was healthy he could have become a quality player in his side.

• Rusty Schakelford says:

Top Echeon of American Players?… You’re kidding right?…Bradley, Dempsey, Donovan ..Rodgers?.. This guy had speed and not enough skill. Rodgers never even lit up MLS before he left to the Championship.. How can he be a top player.

16. nick says:

he leveled the score at 1 in the draw with mexico, but good point ives.

good luck to robbie though. this has to be tough on him.

17. Wes says:

I am impressed with Rogers’ courage to come out and also disappointed that he is retiring.

18. patrick says:

I could not be prouder of him, and his life decisions. While I think it’s sad that he had to wait this long, this will never be an easy decision for anyone, certainly not in the sports world. Part of me wishes he’d continue playing, but wherever he played next, it would turn into a zoo, and I’m sure, given his 25 years of secrecy, he doesn’t want that media crush

Ive never been a big robbie rogers fan, until today.

19. Gnarls says:

His life, his decision. I respect him for coming out, just wish he’d keep playing.

20. Matt says:

Impressed that he came out and wish him all the luck

…But sad he isn’t playing anymore; was looking forward to seeing him back in MLS.

21. Paul says:

Come on Ives, u should know better! Rogers didn’t score the winner against Mexico in Jurgen’s first game! He got the equalizer, and the game ended in a draw.

• 20 says:

You’re right, but I still think that was a big moment.

Best wishes to Robbie. This took a lot of courage, and was reminiscent of Frank Ocean coming out last year. I hope we see him play again someday.

22. Fred says:

I think he retired because he didn’t want to go to Chicago, clearly.

23. Bo says:

Good for you Robbie! I wish he didn’t retire though, and continue playing as an openly gay man. It would be huge step and inspiration for other athletes. It would be hard being taunted by homophobic fans.

• Gnarls says:

I don’t know if that’s a real issue in the US or Canada. I don’t wear rose colored shades by any means, but racism and homophobia seem pleasantly absent in my experience.

• patrick says:

not sure how you can say that when there were 2 anti gay slur issues this year alone, with Burch on DC united and Colin Clark in Houston

• Shake says:

ehh, those are hard to quantify their effects. I’m someone who has used that kind of language (never as a derogatory term against a stranger, but as a joke among friends), BUT, I’ve also stood in front of crowds of people and argued publicly for gay rights.

I’m the most fervent supporter I’ve met (who isn’t gay at least) and I still sometimes slip and say things like that.

• Rory says:

It’s a stupid, hard habit to break (using slurs). Think how many people know the word “retarded” is not acceptible and yet, from time to time that word will slip. It’s hard to break old habits, especially the ones you picked up as a kid.

• patrick says:

while I’m sure you mean well, if you’re using it EVER, its wrong, and has an impact on people, whether you mean it to be derogatory or not. There is a reason they were suspended, and thats because its HATE SPEECH

• Shake says:

What I’m trying to say is, I am the biggest civil rights supporter guy I know, and have publicly argued with friends, with family, with teachers, with peers, and with total strangers over gay rights, BUT I still sometimes use language like that. Not publicly, but among friends.

If everyone had shared my views, it wouldn’t even be an issue. What I’m trying to say is, even people who are 100% for gay rights, can still let something slip accidentally. That’s all.

• Gnarls says:

I should have said BROADLY absent. Not completely absent, obviously.

• Jacknut says:

Burch was in Seattle or some other non-DC team. I know it’s totally beside the point, but I’m glad Burch wasn’t playing for DC last year. :)

• no says:

White and straight, are we?

• Hogatroge says:

While your comments come across a bit naively, I somehwhat agree.

In MLS, we get a media blitz surrounding a gay slur that is typically used as a general insult with little regard for the sexual connotations.

In Europe, crowds are coordinating chants about race and throwing bananas.

• AMPhibian says:

i agree, not everyone is built to, or wants to carry that weight, but it would be huge for robbie, for mls, for professional sports in the US, for society in general, if he came back and played.

24. Dominican Lou says:

Really hopes he takes some time to get adjusted and returns to MLS.

25. Nick says:

Happy for the guy to admit his true self, but sad he feels the need to retire. I hope he comes back to play in MLS, or wherever. Wasn’t he tweeting the other day about being annoyed that his rights got traded somewhere? That can’t have helped, although I doubt it played much of a role in his decision.

26. Steve says:

I hope he is not retiring because of his announcement. I think he likely would have the support of huge fanbase, gay and straight, just for having the strength to put it on the line. Come back to MLS, you are too young to retire!!

27. Jim says:

Huge respect for Robbie. This took a TON of guts– as much as we want to think that sports culture is more accepting now, I’m sure he still faced a lot of pressure to keep this a secret all his life. Add to the fact that his blog post makes it sound like he was raised very religiously, he’s probably spent years being deathly afraid of being outted.
    I think best case scenario is that there’s a huge wave of public support for his choice, both from fans and current players, and that encourages him that it’s ok to resume his career.

28. Shane says:

Jokes on whoever (was it Chicago?) traded for the first right to refusal without telling him.

29. AC says:

Too bad he’s retiring. Not saying he was world-class, but still a good contributor to the game. I wonder if not wanting to play in MLS was a reason he chose to retire. The European atmosphere does not seem ready (as sad as it is) to have an openly gay player in its ranks. I think MLS would have welcomed him with open arms.

• 20 says:

i don’t think that’s it. Why wouldn’t he want to play in MLS? He had success there and it’s his home. I think that Britain overall is more accepting of homosexuality than the United States. They recently legalized gay marriage, which we have only done in a few states. However there is also a very vocal group of idiots that will always show up to football matches, almost certainly more so than in the MLS.

• Harry says:

Britain has not legalized gay marriage.

As far as MLS i doubt Robbie will come back to the league after his criticisms a week ago where he tweeted that MLS players have no rights.

30. Detroit! says:

Best wishes, and congrats on making the difficult but right choice.

31. Drew says:

Just wanted to point out the tweet from Grant Wahl that points out that Robbie used the phrase “stepping away” as opposed to retiring. Hopefully, that is a meaningful distinction.

Also wanted to say cheers to all the commenters… I was expecting the usual splash of intolerance here and there given that this is the interweb. Hopefully Robbie sees this kind of support everywhere he looks.

• eric says:

+1 I thought the same thing about the comments but was stoked to see all the support. I left a message on his facebook. Hopefully all the support will lead him back to the game.

• Cal says:

All the best to Robbie as he moves forward. It’s key to note that honesty and openness are very good as well as the truth that heterosexuality is key to the future of the race and is the optimal situation for society. Strong marriages are the best building block for the future. All the best to everyone and better trails for Robbie.

• Nivek says:

Amazed it took this look for someone to unfortunately moralize this. Well done SBI!

• phillypride says:

Wait. WHAT!?!?
        You say “heterosexuality is key to the future of the race”. With seven billion people on earth and population growing rapidly, you’re saying we need more people in heterosexual relationships!? 30% of humans could suddenly stop making babies and our population would still be stable. Don’t try to hide your prejudice behind ridiculously faulty logic.

• phillypride says:

If you really believed in honesty, openness, and strong marriages, you would support same sex marriage rights.

32. John says:

Great role model. I hope he ultimately decided to return to soccer, but whatever his decision, it took some guts for a person in his field to come out

33. Eugene says:

Courageous for him to come out. I hope he doesn’t step away from soccer for too long and gets back to playing soon.

34. Scott says:

I hope he is just taking a break from the game. An embraced, openly gay athlete in America would send a powerful message. Not just to the Chris Cullivers of the world but to other closeted gay athletes.

35. Isaac says:

Rogers didn’t score the winner in that Mexico game. He scored the equalizer in a 1-1 draw.

As for Robbie, I’m quite sad that he has stepped away, but it’s his life and his decision. I always thought he had great potential. Still might. Who knows? This could be exactly what has been causing him issues for the past few years. I’ve always thought that his head never seemed to be in the proper place, but he had all the skill and attributes necessary to at least be a good national team winger we could call on when required.

When the kid was on, he was on, and when he felt like opening up a defense, he could do it in a lot of ways. Two-footed. Fast. Skilled. Vision, HELL of a shot. Good stamina. Decent work rate. I still remember the B-E-A-Utiful cross he sent in to Jonathan Bornstein against Costa Rica that was headed home and got us a dramatic 2-2 draw after Charlie Davies’ accident.

Even if he doesn’t return to soccer though, I wish him the best of luck. It ain’t easy.

36. Alex says:

Now I wonder whether Landon Donovan is retiring/taking a lay off for the same exact reason haha
    Wouldnt be surprised!

• Al17 says:

Are you seriously trying to make a joke from this issue? (please tell me that I misunderstood your post)
      If so, please go to Hell. It’s one thing if Robbie wanted to step away because of injury, a family tragedy or something more akin to those lines. It’s SAD that he has to stop playing and doing what he loves because of a large segment of our Society and the B..S..t that comes with it based solely on one’s Sexual Orientation. It’s just flat out TRAGIC.
      As a Fire fan, I hope he returns and I hope it’s playing for the Fire.

• Shane says:

Lighten up Al17

• Old School says:

Actually, I think Al17 had the correct response.

Alex’s statement was absurd and ignorant.

• Al17 says:

Shane,
          one of the reasons why people say things and usually without thinking is because of people “lightening up”. Robbie Rogers shouldn’t have to even think about stepping away from the game because of his sexual orientation. So nope, I won’t lighten up on this subject and hopefully none of you will. It will only continue when people “lighten up” instead of correcting those whom are WRONG.
          WTF!!!! This is 2013 not something B.C.

• jim says:

don’t think there was anything really anti-gay in his remarks. not saying I agree but no need to crucify him.

• Reid says:

I agree let us not joke about sexual orientation, color, weight, height, eye color, religion, hair color.

I am calling up dish right now and asking them to get rid of comedy central.

Also sarcasm is now on my shitlist as well

• phillypride says:

Alex was clearly making a joke about calling Donovan gay and using it as an insult. But in case it was obvious enough (which I guess it wasn’t to you), he clarified below.

I’m with Al17 all the way.

• Alex says:

it wasnt about Robbie…he doesnt HAVE to step away, he chooses too. I dont know him as a person so I cant say its because he is insecure or weak..but out of all countries in the world, he didnt have to make this choice and keep on playing.

(All I was trying to say is that primadonna L. Donovan is a gay in more ways than one :))

• kenji says:

Are you seriously using “gay” as a pejorative on THIS thread? You are not very aware, are you?

Please, never use gay as an insult. Ever again. It makes you a hurtful and ignorant person.

• Judging Amy says:

Love this site, but crazy how garbage like this child Alex gets through moderation but harmless, legit comments have to wait to be approved.

• Rory says:

Judging Amy: (first, nice to see you back on the threads), to be fair to the page, I think the wait for comments to be moderated is more of an automated think having to do with how long it takes you to make a post and/or how many posts you have made in a short amount of time (a spam filter).

But yeah, this is pure garbage. I hope Alex is pretty young and has plenty of time left to see the error of his ways. Kids do stupid things, like use words out of context (calling something you don’t like “gay” or “retarded”) because other kids do it. Unfortunately it can be a bad habit to break, but one that needs to be broken pretty quickly.

• jim says:

I’ve had a number of homosexual people tell me that they don’t think saying “gay” is insulting at all. its just become a synonym for stupid or dislike. There isn’t any hate behind it. They have told me “fag” (among other words) is offensive though.

• Old School says:

This is honestly the first time I’ve ever used this overused acronym but: SMH.

That’s the only response I have to your “my gay friends say it’s not…” statement.

• jim says:

I’m not saying they speak for the entire gay community but they’re a pretty direct source if you ask me. shake your head away old school.

• Old School says:

I guess it’s ok then.

Otherwise it’s a completely pointless anecdote.

• Frank says:

I’m wondering if depression is keeping Donovan from continuing his career. Athletes have a lot of pressure to deal with.

• Shake says:

Mostly depression over his divorce, I think it killed him as a person. It will probably take years for him to be happy again doing anything, let alone playing soccer.

37. Southern says:

Would love to see him come back and tear it up in MLS again at some point. Either way, good for him and best wishes.

38. Scott says:

Always assumed he was already out of the closet. His teammates probably already knew or suspected. Coming out was a formality. Continuing to play, after the announcement, probably wouldn’t have changed much.

• patrick says:

he mentions that some people already knew. ONe would assume it was teammates, both at the US and club level

39. RSLfan says:

Congrats to Robbie. Like everyone else I am hoping he is stepping away because he wants a break from soccer not b/c he has come out. It would be a big deal for soccer if the first active gay athlete in America was in MLS. It has to happen sometime, and I think it will be an important step towards further acceptance for the GLBT community.

• Frank says:

Dave Testo (another former Crew player) came out to his teammates while he was still active (but I think this was later in his career when he was with the Impact).

• Rory says:

It would be a big step forward, but that’s something Robbie has to decide if he’s willing to do. It won’t be easy of course, and if Robbie is already tired of soccer I can’t imagine how hard it would be.

40. Blackfish says:

Meh. I’m ok with him retiring. Hopefully Landon decides to keep playing when becomes out.

• phillypride says:

So funny. Landon is gay. Ha ha haaaaa….
      What a shame your brilliant sense of humor is wasted on homophobic idiocy.

• Jd says:

How was that homophobic? If Landon’s gay, who gives a crap?

• phillypride says:

Fair question. If Blackfish were a close friend of Landon’s talking to another close friend, saying “hopefully Landon decides to keep playing when he comes out” wouldn’t be homophobic in the least. But that’s not what’s happening here. As far as we know, Landon is not gay, so calling him gay is meant as an insult. It’s part of the whole “Landon is soft” and “Landycakes” BS. So, calling someone gay as an insult, even if it’s part of a joke, is homophobic. It’s fairly mild homophobia, but no doubt, it still qualifies and I’m sick of it.

• Don Pelayo says:

• Jd says:

I think you’re looking for ways to be insulted here and being overly sensitive. Don’t read so much into it. He said nothing about the dispelled softness of Landon, you did. If anything, he saying there’s a place for an out soccer player who many consider to be one of the best ever for his country. When others have moved on from the homophobic motives you’ve assigned to them, will you recognize it? This is not fairly mild homophobia as you say, it’s you trying to be less inclusive than the original poster.

• jonny boy says:

41. Veteran says:

He should stay in football. He’d be a definite positive role model for today’s vibrant youth! :-)

42. Lazio Curva Sud says:

If sexuality is malleable in any small way, he is doing the right thing by retiring. Our society should not encourage deviant behavior. I don’t begrudge Rogers for his confession, but he shouldn’t remain in a position of prominence where he might be looked up to as a role model.

• Dominican Lou says:

Lazio Curva Sud is an awful human being. Even worse than those that reside in the Lazio Curva Nord.

• Dank says:

Exactly, the honest thing to would be to live a double life of lies and secrecy. It’s important for the youth who might look up to him to understand that!

• patrick says:

I can’t fathom the hate and ignorance that just came out of you. I have to assume you’re a member of the Westboro Baptist Church

• Mc says:

Deviant behavior as is posting anonymous hateful comments on blogs?

• b says:

With the aggressive moderation on this site lately, this gets through?? Really?

• away goals says:

Get a load of this guy.

• Lazio Curva Sud says:

So much indignation over a dissenting opinion! Put it this way: if the lion-share of comments congratulate and endorse Rogers for bravery, what adversity does he really face if criticism of his lifestyle gets shouted down and stomped on?

I don’t believe that public homosexuals are suitable role models because I don’t believe we should encourage homosexuality in adolescents who have not fully developed an identity. I believe that homosexuality is a mental disorder, as do many doctors of psychology, even though the APA removed it from the DSM in 1972. I believe that an announcement like this should be treated the same way as a proclamation of autism or alcoholism: best wishes for treatment.

• Shake says:

Provide one logical argument against homosexuality, just one.

Link the actions syllogistically to immorality or undesirable behavior. Please try. Note, that if you say something stupid like it’s not natural, I’m going to come back with a stupid response like cars aren’t natural either, but driving one isn’t immoral, nor is homosexuality “abnormal” to begin with.

• Cal says:

Shake,
          Here’s 3:

The plumbing is designed for a man and woman.

Only a man and woman can have a natural baby.

Children are most healthy when raised by a loving man and woman.

Let’s start with these reasons.

In your view what is the great benefit of normalizing gay behavior?

• shake says:

So if I use a screwdriver as an ice pick, its immoral because it wasn’t “designed” for that ?

Many heterosexual couples decide not to have children, is that immoral? Is procreation a moral action somehow? If so, should I have as many children as possible? Should woman breed until it kills them then ?

Children are better off with loving parents, regardless of orientation. I would much rather have two gay parents than divorced parents, or abusive parents.

So you have still failed to create a syllogism.

• gigi says:

Shake, to add onto your argument, research by the APA supports the hypothesis that there is no difference between having same heterosexual parents or homosexual parents. Children being most healthy with a man and woman raising them is purely superstitious.

• shake says:

The thing is, I wouldn’t even contest that children are better off with a father and a mother (although I wouldn’t argue with findings stating otherwise either). The fact is, so few children have that to begin with (with loving parents), that to deny homosexuals the option to raise kids on that ideal is nonsense.

Children just need to be loved and looked after. Homosexuals are more than capable of doing that. Certainly better off with that than what so many kids have to deal with every day.

• Cal says:

Shake,

Ice picks and screwdrivers are much less than people.

I am leaning toward it being a good moral action to have kids when you can support, care, train and protect them.

Nope, no woman should be made to bear kids beyond her desire. At the same time, it’s best to keep the legs closed if you don’t want more kids.

Societies begin to have deeper issues when gay behavior becomes normed. Better functioning with healthy families. That should be the objective.

Ladies and gents, everyone has value and everyone is important. I will make this point directly: the goal of life is not mere pleasure, but the attainment of morals, honor and glory.

To everyone listening, I will sharpen my comments as have those have who have become so adamant on this issue.

Elevate yourselves.

You are so worth it!

• Shake says:

But even you list exceptions, if the can’t support them, or don’t want to support them, then people shouldn’t have kids. So not having kids when you can’t support them is ALSO a moral thing to do then, according to you at least. And would it be immoral to have anal sex among heterosexual partners? That’s not matching the plumbing either, the only difference is the gender.

And I can’t understand why you conservatives are so dumb when it comes to sex, I’ve had no problem with sex when the girl’s legs are closed, there’s more positions than just missionary, you know? And why should they not have sex if they don’t want kids? You want them to just drop that part of their life if they aren’t doing it solely for procreation.

And how do we have a worse society when we are more accepting of people? Explain to me what issues this will cause, PLEASE enlighten me.

And who the heck are you to tell me what my goal for life is? Am I not a free man capable of choosing my own goal?

And how about you elevate yourself, you’re clearly less valuable to society than most of the people commenting on here.

• Cal says:

Shake,

I’m glad you’re thinking this through deeper. Your comments are addressing exceptions or things on the edges of the core issue. The core issue is whether we live more towards our animal nature or toward our spiritual nature. To live toward the spirit is to work toward the best with self-control, honor and perseverance. To live toward our animal nature is to live for mere pleasure and animal attractions.

Peace out, Shake.

• Shake says:

Stop acting like an attracting to women is any less animal. I’d say gay or straight, we’re all pretty animalistic when it comes to sex, if you weren’t so chauvinistic, you’d see that.

And what the hell is this “spirit” you’re talking about? I certainly do not have one, so leave me out of this if you want to get all magic and nonsense. Truth is, we ARE animals, nothing makes us any better than any other living thing, a glance at the news will tell you that. If you’re concerned with people “working towards their center”, then you should focus on how people treat each other, not what they do in a bedroom of consenting adults.

That means you need to work on your center, cause your comments certainly suggest you could work on how you treat others. Get off your dang high horse and stop thinking your way is any better. I was born attracted to women, but if I was born attracted to men, then I’d be gay, there is no choice, there is no “deviancy”, there are just different types of people, and if they live their life in peace, then I don’t give a crap what they do.

• away goals says:

Of your 3:

1) arbitrary. there are several possible plumbing configurations that don’t involve your preferred components. you can find video evidence on the internet.

2) not all men or women can “naturally” have a baby. let’s require all infertile people to remain asexual.

3) wildly speculative.

• away goals says:

honestly you’d be better off just saying “it grosses me out” than relying on these pseudo arguments.

• super star says:

Darwin.
          If Homosexuality is genetic, it would eradicate itself very quickly (the biology just does not work). You can’t accept evolution and genetic based homosexuality.

• jim says:

I’m with you that I don’t believe in a gay gene, but homosexuality is certainly not a choice. I think that has been made very clear over the years. Not sure where the answer lies with that. I’m not going to cheer RR for being gay (although his announcement surely took some guts) or fight hate with more hate like others have. I really don’t care much what the guy does. (doesn’t matter if he’s gay or straight) Hope he has a happy life and we can all move on. Don’t hate on the guy and don’t make him into a savior.

• away goals says:

Irrelevant.

Choice or not. Genetic or not. Biblically forbidden or not. These “arguments” should have no bearing on how consenting adults function in a free society in 2013.

• jim says:

It isn’t illegal to be gay. They are free to sleep with whoever they choose. Could you clarify where you’re going with your argument?

• away goals says:

I may have gotten lost within the Reply maze.

I interpreted super star’s darwin comment as an argument against homosexuality in reply to shake.

Just pointing out that arguments from evolution have no bearing on the rights or lack thereof afforded to members of society.

• Shake says:

I’ve long thought homosexuality to be a naturally occurring gene or predisposition for various animal groups to help prevent overpopulation, or to perhaps weed out some harmful combination of genes or something that we don’t know about, or they are supposed to fulfill some other need to the population that we haven’t discovered.

But gene or not, its still decided before birth whether or not someone is gay, even if it’s just the hormone levels they are exposed to in the womb. Babies are born gay, they don’t just develop that way.

I can’t imagine choosing to be gay, any more than I can imagine choosing to be straight, I just am.

• kenji says:

You don’t understand genetics very well. Generally speaking there is not a gene for any given trait. The reality is that genetics are extraordinarily complex and rely on the interplay of a wide range of genes, many involved in several different traits.

Also sounds like you don’t understand evolution super well either.

• Northzax says:

And yet, we still have hemophilia, among a myriad of fatal genetic disorders. They haven’t been ‘bred out’ of the population. Gay people are capable of breeding, you know.

• Northzax says:

Ok, that came out totally wrong. Being gay is not a ‘disorder’ I was using reducto ad absurdum to point out the OP’s position was insane. (That genetic traits breed themselves out)

As for Robbie Rogers, if he’s lost his passion for soccer (completely plausible, he’s probably done little else since he was 15) I hope the same for him as for everyone, that they find the thing they were meant to do. He’s 25, good looking, smart and driven. He has some money and name recognition to pursue his passions. Good for him. We all know people who have worked their entire lives to get somewhere, reach dizzying heights (compared to their youthful dreams) got there and said, eh, this isn’t me. Happy trails, Robbie.

• Karim Al-Khafaji says:

okay, I cannot keep silent on this point. I have a PhD in Biology from Stanford and was a TA for evolution…and I can assure you that your interpretation of evolutionary dynamics is completely off base. There are a number of scenarios where a ‘gay’ gene could propogate and expand in a population, by what’s known as inclusive fitness example (and is used to explain socialty and cooperative behavior more generally). There has even been some interesting empirical studies of this that have come out recently showing that family groups with gay members had more surviving descendents than those that didn’t with anecdotal evidence indicating that increased care giving provided by the gay relatives may have contributed to the survival of offspring. And even if this explanation turns out to ultimately not be supported as more studies are conducted, it remains that ‘homosexual’ behavior has been documented as a persistent phenomenon across a wide range of species and under a wide range of conditions. In fact sexual orientation and gender identity are really continuous variables, not binary ones. Just like hair color, height, aggresion and a variety of other geneticly influenced behavioral and personality traits heterogeneity rules the day!

And besides whether being gay is a matter of choice or not is a total red herring. No matter where you land – genetics or choice – it can still lead to intolerance. If you say its genetic, then people are prone to pathologize it like its some kind of disease or defect. “oh it’s not his fault, he was born that way.” I believe one of the previous posters illustrated this perfectly when they compared being gay to having autism and suggesting treatment. And if you think its a choice, are you really saying people don’t have the right to choose who they’re attracted to, have sex with, love, and build a life with?

There is a whole diverse, crazy range of human sexual behavior and preferences. People are complex creatures that can’t be put in arbitrary, binary boxes. Just because heterosexual and homosexual are useful general approximations that describes different points on a spectrum where many people tend to cluster doesn’t mean that there is any great truth to them and neither can be described as more normal than the other. What’s normal is that people are variable.

Let people be who they are and move on. Good for Robbie that he knows who he is and is comfortable with it.

(diatribe over – the soapbox is yours)

• Dominican Lou says:

I believe you’re an ill-informed bigot.

• QuakerOtis says:

The indignation is not over your “dissenting opinion”, but over the sheer ignorance, idiocy, and hatefulness you’ve demonstrated.

Gay role models are bad for teens? Hmmm… so instead of giving scared, confused homosexual teens role models when even their own families disown them, let’s just continue letting them commit suicide at a ridiculously disproportionate rate. Cool idea Adolf.

Or maybe their pastors should be their guides? You know, like the ones that hook young men up to electrodes to try and “turn-off” the gay?

You do realize that homosexuality occurs naturally? In humans as well as other animals? That homosexuality is not an “identity crisis” in and of itself, but that the identity crisis is a result of people like you debasing their very existence?

Lastly, since particularly stupid interpretations of religious doctrine tend to foster and support perspectives like yours, I’m going to presume to know a little bit about you. Here’s a clue: it’s morons like yourself who turn people away from God. Not gay people.

Peace, idiot.

• gigi says:

Bill Gates has Aspergers, quick get the pitchforks right? How dare he be autistic and be an idol to children. And btw, homosexuality was removed from the APA back in 72 or a reason……….. People act like just cause your gay that being gay is contagious, like he is going to sneeze on your children and they are going to be gay………To be honest I’d rather have my kid be gay and a kind human being, than straight and a douche. Your opinion is your opinion, but dont ever say a homosexual is not a suitable role model.

• Joamiq says:

You’re free to express your dissenting opinion. But it’s a dumb opinion.

• patrick says:

any “points” you might make are immediately negated when the only actual evidence you provide, is contrary to your point of view. It was removed from the DSM in 1972 because it ISNT A MENTAL DISORDER. You say many psychologists believe it’s a disorder, but yet, the officla governing body says otherwise. I’d argue that those psychologists who think it’s a disorder are nuts.

• Hogatroge says:

That’s the thing about believing. You can choose to believe in things that don’t exist, like unicorns, and things that are simply false “the earth is flat.”

If by “many doctors of psychology” you mean “a vast minority,” then you would be correct. If you bothered to actually look at scientific evidence and research instead of spouting social conservative hate rhetoric, you would know better. Homosexuality isn’t a “lifestyle.” The most recent research points to epigenetic determinants. Hundreds of animal species have been observed exhibiting homosexual behaviors.

Maybe next time you can skip the Klan social and read a scientific article instead.

• jim says:

Some people believe being gay is wrong but here is a huge difference between disagreeing with homosexuality and hate. That’s where a line has to be drawn. While I definitely don’t think any hate should be directed his way (or anyone for that matter), I don’t think he should necessarily be exalted into the savior of gay athletes either.

On a different note, I’m sure this announcement took a great deal of courage. Hope things work out for him.

• mhat says:

Unbelievable. People like you are why its a big deal when athletes come out today. They have to face your ridiculous criticisms.

• Helium-3 says:

Are you really ignorant that being gay is by choice? Research has shown that the chemical makeup in the brain of a gay person is different than that of a straight person.

• super star says:

Not commenting pro or con gay but the fact is there is no research that has come to that conclusion. All objective testing has been inconclusive.

• Hogatroge says:

Wow. DIAF.

• Lazio Curva Sud says:

Idiot, ridiculous, hateful, “die in a fire”, awful human being, ill-informed bigot, douche.

These are the words directed at me when I post a civil, weighted disagreement to the idea that homosexuality is a celebration.

The reigning narrative is that homosexuals are brave for declaring their sexuality. It seems to me that there is a much greater social cost for admitting that you don’t approve.

• David M says:

It is almost funny how intolerant those professing tolerance really are.

• Joe says:

Nice baiting, you did your job. Congrats, that was not a “weighted disagreement”. If it was weighted, you would not have inherently disproved yourself with the removal in ’72 from the DSA.

Seriously, it was said above but if you just said, “Being gay grosses me out.” You probably wouldn’t have engendered such a phalanx of spears as a result.

Learn to post and argue constructively and you will get respect. Otherwise, I suggest you simply google “scientific research, chemical components and homosexuality” and read for five minutes on .org sites. Fairly simple, though maybe you were unaware.

Not trying to be a jerk, but try it and see if you can’t fairly understand it. I’ve personally seen the hate towards gay people and when I was younger I was an ass to them. Then my uncle confided in me – and ONLY me – in a family raised as devoutly Catholic. Why? Because that moral doctrine framed him as an outcast. What does that say about organized religion and tolerance? Does that abide by the basic Christian rule: Treat others as you want to be treated? Hypocritical and a reason I know longer support the Catholic church, among many.

• Jersey2Colorado says:

Your opinion is wrong, idiotic, and not welcome. Really do not care about anything your response would mention either; just incase you were planning upon reading this.

43. THomas says:

He’s only 25!? Glad he’s just ‘stepping away.’ Hopefully he comes back and now that he’s out, he can focus on just playing.

44. Old School says:

Wow.

Well, I wish him well in whatever he chooses to do but I think he’d be welcomed with open arms back to MLS. Whether or not he wants the burden of being the first professional athlete to be “out” while playing is not for me to decide or dictate the level of effort it could take…

…but again, he’d be welcomed back to MLS, if/when he decides.

Best of luck, Robbie.

45. Tony in Quakeland says:

I’ll be happy when this sort of announcement isn’t news. Fortunately, we are slowly reaching the point where when someone says they are gay, most of us shrug our shoulders and say, “Yeah? But how’s your left foot?”

• JD says:

I’ve been trying to figure out which of these posts would get my “+1″ and you’ve nailed it Tony.

I’m going to leave it at that and try to keep myself from commenting on Lazio Curva Sud’s absurdity.

• Reid says:

I can honestly say 10 years ago it would have made a difference to me, now i could give a crap whether a person is gay/straight/asexual/closeted as long they make my team better or the game as a whole better.
      I think that this situation is disappointing. I was looking forward to Robbie playing in MLS. We are always going to lose players that are the next rung up from his level, but athletic ability and skill level is made for MLS. At the end of the day/week all I want is to watch a soccer match with the best players possible on the field.

46. Felix says:

I wonder if the reason behind the ‘retirement’ is because of fear he won’t be accepted or picked up by another team after the announcement. Or if he wants to continue to focus on Halsey and the Men’s Health writer.
    I suspect most teammates would be accepting, especially here in MLS and in England, but perhaps some of the older coaches and front office staff would be leary. Just pure conjecture.

47. Conrad says:

Seriously: Awesome responses. I can’t even imagine what these responses would have been 5, 10 years ago. I’m in my 40s, and I have to give a lot of credit to young people, who have really led the way on gay rights, or as I like to call it, common fücking sense. I’m impressed. Of course, in the rest of the sports-blog-universe, Robbie’s decision is only proof that Soccer Is Gay™. I can live with it.
    Good luck Robbie.

• b says:

I’m a proud member of the American soccer community today. The responses here and elsewhere reinforce why I love this sport in this country. MLS really does have the potential to lead professional sports on this issue – not only in the US, but around the world.

48. Grant says:

Good for him. I’m proud of him and wish him all the best in the world. He’s got the rest of his life to live and only RR knows what he’s had to endure.

The least important part of this is the soccer aspect. As a Crew fan, it was oftentimes frustrating to watch him play. Not that he didn’t try hard, but there was something missing in his game that prevented him from being a special talent instead of merely an above average player. I say “merely” because even as an “above average player” in the MLS, that is still a great accomplishment. Maybe he’ll come back with a clear mind and a new resolve.

49. Hector says:

Well I hope he has a “Plan B” for after soccer because being gay isn’t really a way of making a living

50. Ty says:

Who cares. Was never fully committed to soccer. Gay or straight or a tranny never would’ve helped the US National team. No big deal.

51. TomG says:

Hope he comes back and plays in MLS. It would be good for the sport to have an openly gay player (are there currently any in MLS?) and NYRB could sure use a left wing!

52. Wilson says:

Was fortunate to have coached Robbie on a youth National team and the kid is first class.
    Good luck Robbie!

53. Turd Bradley says:

Good for him having the courage to come out. I respect that 100%. However, its not like he did or will ever set the world on fire. My eyes always told me he was never good enough for international plY and seemed like ussf was trying to convince themselves they had made a legitimate investment in him every time he was selected.

54. Omar Little says:

Handsome dude. I’m sure he crushes man a$$…..

Good for him

55. Werner says:

BRUCE convince him to come to LA! Lets make history again!

• Joe says:

I think Portland, Seattle or RSL would be best in that they are markets who have led the way in gay rights. I will credit an above poster, I did not know SLC had such a great reputation with being pro gay rights. Awesome!

Oh, and I am white, 29, straight and I want him on my Timbers – I must be immoral right?;-)

• Harry says:

you’re both forgetting that the MLS doesn’t operate that way. Chicago owns his rights. Only Chicago can sign the player unless they trade his rights.

Robbie is not coming back to MLS.

56. BFT says:

Very, very proud of him. Really, really wish he wasn’t retiring. Hopefully “stepping away” means it isn’t necessarily permanent.

57. Sean says:

Way to go, Robbie! Good for you.

I can guess that there may be pressures (based on your experience and decision) that few of us can understand but I’m a soccer and MLS fan who’d enjoy it if (and wishes that) you choose to keep playing!

Best wishes in everything :)

58. Cairo says:

Now a big fan of Robbie Rogers. That took guts and I hope he comes back someday if he wants to. MLS fans are probably going to handle this better than most, but let’s not kid ourselves either. This is courageous

59. Beckster says:

As the parent of a gay collegiate athlete, I applaud Robbie’s courage and hope he comes back to the sport. He is a fine left winger and it would be nice for men’s soccer to follow in women’s soccer’s footsteps in having openly gay athletes participate at the highest levels of the sport. I believe soccer fans in the US are classier than other sports and it would be nice to take the lead in being accepting of gay athletes.

60. gay pride texas 915 says:

So thought the toughest sport was football NFL and now we have MLS soccers coming out….now what NFL. The toughest thing to do is to come out and say your gay. Kudos to Robbie and this should only help MLS by showing the U.S. that MLS is the sport of the future in the states and that MLS will accept homosexuals in the stands and on the pitch. Robbie should not retire and in reality i know a lot gay people who like soccer because its a real sport where you run and think and not like the NFL or NBA. MLS should keep him and grow from this because NFL and NBA fans are mostly tough and anti homosexual. Only if becks was still in MLS because Becks would have his back in a snap and the whole world would stop for the MLS.

• Joe says:

I wouldn’t go knocking on the NBA and NFL for not running man, their stamina is tested in terms of running into 6’3″ 230lbs of cut muscle running, at the worst, 4.6 40 yd dash. And the linemen may be “fat” but they are just ridiculously strong.

I agree with the homophobia, but I am not going to be a bigger or lesser fan because of a preponderance of evidence that suggests most of the players and/or fans are jackasses. If that was the case, I think this country would have been summarily liquidated LONG ago, haha.

Samos Timbers!

61. Good luck, Robbie says:

Good luck, Robbie. That takes a lot of courage to do that. I wasn’t a big fan of his as an international player for USMNT, but he certainly was a solid MLS player. I’m a little surprised that he’s stepping away from his MLS career. I’m sure he could have had a lengthy and accomplished pro career at this level.

I can’t imagine the difficulties he’d face if he returned to pro soccer, but I’d love to see Robbie and MLS lead the way in having an openly gay player on the pitch. Maybe other players, clubs, and leagues would follow suit.

62. Shark says:

Much respect for him….hope he stays in the game…:)

63. WorldCitizen says:

The homophobic bigotry that has long marred competitive team sports is perhaps more muted than it once was, but unfortunately it remains fairly pervasive. I look forward to the day when athletes like Robbie or Dave Testo are accepted for who they are by the vast majority of their fellow professionals. That said, it’s disappointing to see this news, because more than anything, it feels like yet another victory for the bigots.

64. beachbum says:

All the best to Robbie and hope he finds happiness, and hope he can return to the game if it’s what he wants. Nothing but respect.

65. Tom says:

Good luck to Robbie. But to all of you professing your high-minded tolerance here, I cry foul. I guarantee there is not a single one of you that didn’t think to yourselves, “Oh, no wonder he was so soft”, or some variation thereof. And then you probably admonished yourselves accordingly, and switched gears to “nothing wrong with that, everyone should come out”. See, the thing no one wants to admit is, no matter how accepting you are, there are still these little stereotypes hidden deep in the corners of your minds. Society’s attitudes have indeed shifted, which is awesome, but those undercurrents are still there and aren’t going away. While you’re bashing the guy above who made the gay joke, take a moment and admit to yourself that you probably thought it too, you were just too tactful to say it. Pretending it doesn’t exist or people are somehow wrong for having those associations is not helpful, though. Not to Robbie or anyone else who is gay, because they know we’re not being completely honest. How can you be comfortable in those conditions?

• patrick says:

having stereotypes, and being tolerant aren’t mutually exclusive

• Tom says:

I agree. What is problematic is when we have them, but indignantly refuse to admit we have them. It’s dishonest to them.

• Joe says:

Wait, doesn’t being tactful also show that we must be morally higher than the original poster ? Because I was led to believe that if we didn’t accept it we would have a higher morality….hmmmmmm. Methinks you are saying that you echo what he thought but aren’t man enough to come out and express a solid opinion without flying in the face of proven. empirical evidence.

Chew on this one: I believe in a God-like figure (gender and race tbd) and evolution both being right. Mind….wait for it….splosion.

66. a says:

Man……. thats gay.

• Joe says:

Alright, after all the talk above and getting fired up, I laughed out loud. Begrudgingly, I thusly reward you a +1 and a -1. You are awarded no points and may God have mercy on your soul. Knibb High football rules.

67. Whatb4 says:

Didn’t he have concussion issues?

68. Brett says:

Now that he’s out, I don’t think a locker room would be able to get over the possibility they were being ogled by a gay man. It’s sad, but it’s the reality.

Good luck in your future endeavors, Robbie.

• patrick says:

as noted on twitter, many, if not all of his Columbus teammates were aware, and unless there was a secret shower room just for him, it didnt appear to be a problem for any of them

• THomas says:

Just because he’s gay doesn’t mean he wants to hook up with every one of his teammates. Think about a local gym. By pure numbers, a lot of guys in that locker room are likley gay. Has it ever been an issue for you? I can say it hasn’t been for me. So unless they suffer from homophobia, being in a locker room with a gay guy, shouldn’t be an issue.

• THomas says:

And I probably used the wrong word when I said ‘suffer’ form homophobia, but you get the idea.

• Brett says:

Truly it boils down to how the individual person acts. I’m sure there were times in my life when I was around a gay dude in a locker room or gym and never knew it. Had I known there was someone being aroused by me without my knowing, I would feel a little violated. I think most people would. I’m not saying just because someone is gay they go mush-brained for everyone of the same gender, but the possibility is there based on primal sexual attraction. Could you say you could be a heterosexual male in a locker room of nude lesbians (some attractive, some not) and not be aroused by at least one of them? You could then see their reason for feeling upset, yes? I have also been made very uncomfortable by an older, gay man at a gym. I don’t attribute that to his being gay, but to his personality. He was polite about it when I told him I didn’t like being touched while I lift.

It’s not in my nature to waste time and energy wondering about peoples’ sexual preferences. Certainly I notice things like effeminate or otherwise flamboyant men, but I try to not assume sexual orientation based on that alone.

My point was that now that he’s out, I don’t think he’s going to find total acceptance. That makes me sad, but it’s what I see in the state of the world today. Someone mentioned the Crew locker room and how they knew about it. Yes, they did, but without him being totally out I am not sure there wasn’t some onus on keeping it ‘hush-hush’, even if only for one or two teammates who were known homophobes.

69. Joel says:

Be well Robbie!

Hope you decide to come back in the future.

70. Eric says:

” Try convincing yourself that your creator has the most wonderful purpose for you even though you were taught differently.”

Quite an indicment of religion and how it ruins people

• Joamiq says:

You might want to read that again. It’s clearly an indictment of the people who taught him their version of religion, not religion itself. The last line of his statement is: “My secret is gone, I am a free man, I can move on and live my life as my creator intended.”

• Old School says:

I understand where Eric’s coming from and he may have misspoken but I 100% agree with your:

“You might want to read that again. It’s clearly an indictment of the people who taught him their version of religion, not religion itself.”

Well said.

• boosted335 says:

Don’t be naive, religion is only 1 of MANY channels your worldview can become poisoned through.

• jim says:

Religion doesn’t hurt people. Misunderstanding of a religion can though.

• Northzax says:

Speaking of tolerance, who are you to say that someone is misinterpreting their religion. The Old Testament, a holy book for billions of people (Jews, Christians, Muslims) is pretty clear about homosexual acts being an abomination. The top 13 religions by members in the US condemn homosexuals. You have to go all the way to 14, the Episcopal Church, to find a church that welcomes homosexuals. And frankly (while I am sympathetic, it’s not really supported by scripture.

I’d say that means the problem (and it is a problem) lies with religion, not the interpretation. Of course, I was raised Unitarian, so we have our own problems. And I (just to demonstrate my bons fides here) didn’t show up to get my Eagle Scout badge when my six year troop leader was banned for being gay. If Mr. Matthews couldn’t pin it on me, I didn’t want it.

71. boosted335 says:

While wishing him well on to the next stages of self discovery I cant escape the fact that I didn’t ask and don’t care* who he sleeps with.
    *so long as they’re 18+ and consenting

72. Citizen says:

Good for Robbie, but I just want to say this, as much as homosexuals and others have been abused by fans and others alike, it does not compare to what I’ve seen happen to minority players. As long as they don’t come out and say it, there used to be no problems, however, a black player (like Jozy for instance) would suffer just for being thr color he is, called bad names or the target of violence such as burned alive and tied up to the back of a pick up truck and dragged through the streets. Those are extreme cases, but it still shows that we have a long way to go as a society, and I hope players like Jozy and Robbie can play without any sort of hate directed towards them in the future.

73. curva sud says:

best wishes robbie

74. Harry says:

if he does come back I doubt he’d want to deal with MLS.

from his twitter account last week:

Just read my “rights” were traded to Chicago… Love how the MLS works, pretty funny. #rightlessinthemls

75. JG says:

Not surprising seeibg that he always played like a girl with the USMT anyways. Always seemed like his mind wasn’t on the game. Probably wasn’t. He should still play. He could change in the girls bathroom or something.

• phillypride says:

Since being gay means having to put up with a lifetime of BS from people like you, I’ve found that gay people tend to be tougher than average, not weaker. And, “played like a girl”!?!? Way to insult women and gay people in one short phrase. What are you so afraid of?

76. Michael F. SBI Mafia Original says:

I think it takes a ton of courage to come out, period. Add to that being a pro athlete and it is beyond courageous. Unlike the small-mided “JG” who posted before me and hides behind initials, scared to give his own name. C’mon JG. Be a “Man”. Come out of your closet of hate. In any event – much respect Robbie.

Hey Ives, I know how Journo’s often know this kind of thing before the public, sometimes for years. Did you?

77. John says:

Now it is landons turn

78. Ty says:

I hope everyone feels sorry for him and we all wear purple laces to raise money for his disease.

I can’t believe that this is even a story. Who cares. The fact that he’s already claiming it was such a secret and basically the whole Crew team knew makes me sick. All gay people want is for people to feel sorry for them. Just a bunch of complainers. Be gay and stay away. No one cares.

• b says:

The irony of your comment is palpable.

Since that will likely be lost on you, let me expand: it’s because of small-minded, bigoted, hateful idiots like yourself that an announcement like this is necessary.

• nick says:

obviously you care or you wouldn’t post or get your panties in a bunch over people wanting to live a open normal life.

• Andy says:

Actually, what gay people people want is to be treated like everyone else. Be gay and stay away? No one cares? Speak for yourself!

79. Parker says:

As a gay man, please stay in the game and prove that you are no different from anyone else Robbie! Mad respect and much love

80. Kung Fu Kangaroos says:

If someone already mentioned this, my apologies (too many posts to read through) … perhaps Robbie wants to see what the feedbackand reation is like … what the mood of MLS players, Fire team & organization, general fans, media, and such are … if it’s more positive / neutral than negative … then he may come back to play.

81. Andrew says:

I hope “step away” only means he’s taking a break.

The biggest criticism of Rogers as a player was always that he wasn’t always mentally in the game. But if keeping his sexual orientation secret was a big distraction for him, it’s understandable. I hope coming out of the closet means he can come back more focused and play to his full potential.

82. Gerald says:

I think that people are entitled to their opinions either way as long as it’s expressed as an opinion.
    That being said……Come back Robbie most of us do not care

83. primoone says:

Bravo. Way to go….so courageous.

We press on…so who is going to replace donovan when he comes out?

84. Eric says:

Very courageous from, Robbie. Hopefully we see him back in soccer someday!

85. Nate Dollars says:

ives, just commenting to say that i appreciate the strike-through on the updated language (‘retiring’ vs ‘stepping away’).

i know in previous updated posts, you (or other sbi writers) just corrected (or removed) language without leaving a trace of the original. don’t know if this is sbi’s new practice, but just want to say i noticed, and i like it.

86. OBRick says:

Come on Robbie you don’t need to quit the sport you love. Come back home and play in the MLS!

87. Daniel says:

Sad to see him leave soccer because of this.

88. Goalscorer24 says:

I think it is great for him that he is coming out, but does that mean he has to quit soccer? Or is that decision unrelated?

89. Kosh says:

I am happy for Robbie and cannot imagine the burden that lived with. I hope he’s not leaving the game because of this and certainly hope he finds his way back into the game. Good luck, Robbie.

90. mls addict says:

I’m in awe of his courage. Congrats Robbie you will forever be respected and remembered regardless if you choose to play professionally again or not. I will make sure my kids understand the importance of what you have chosen to do. Thank You!

91. Dr Truth says:

You know what would be really courageous? If he kept on playing. Playing Gay.

92. chris_thebassplayer says:

I support Rodgers 100% and wish him well. Unfortunately we’re still living in the dark ages due to many religions, and in this country christian faiths, demonizing gay members of society. I blame the Christian Right for perpetuating decades of intolerance towards gays. As others have expressed, I hope at some point he reconsiders and plays in MLS.

93. Adrian says:

If he’s gay who cares I’m not his mother. We have bigger fish to fry than one man’s religious conflict. If he believes in a God his God should accept him for himself or else the concept is pointless. Good luck to him in Life there are more pressing issues for the men’s national team and in the world. The homophobic jokes are funny; stop with the political correctness this is not a Presidential Campaign

94. H-town says:

On a religious basis, I believe homosexuality is a sin, but it does not mean they should be ridiculed or mistreated. They are still children of our Heavenly Father, and they should be loved and respected as such inspite of their personal behavior.

Whether you believe it is a choice or whether people are born with those tendencies, doesn’t matter. It doesn’t excuse mistreatment of another person ever. I know I don’t want to be judged publicly for my transgressions.

95. Don Pelayo says:

Any response from US Soccer or Klinsmann? It would be great for them to come forward and offer Rogers their full support.

96. Andy in Atlanta says:

My favorite Robbie moments was in the 2007 U20 WC up in Canada… I thought he was destined for greatness along with Sal Zizzo… I can’t help but wonder if his time since his last season in Columbus has been hampered by a feeling of personal struggle and perhaps isolation… Was very unlucky at Leeds with managerial situations and injuries… never been the same player since 2009…

97. Luis C says:

A lot of respect to this young man,wish you can play for my Red Bulls human being with that character are a big example for the soccer community.Best wishes on his life.

98. Paula says:

Rogers’ former teammate @ Leeds suggests that Robbie has a lot of other interests besides soccer at this point. He isn’t necessarily retiring just because of his sexual orientation.

Leaving the door open a tiny bit to returning, but he doubts it.

Wouldn’t mind this guy turning to commentary, as we don’t have many sports journalists who are openly gay. This is the beginning of a very long transition for male American pro athletes, I think, and his voice (like Twellman’s re concussions) could be very important in shaping public opinion.

Good luck to Robbie.

99. Micah says:

Wasn’t Ljunberd from Sweden gay? He had a very successful career. I wonder why Robbie chose to quite soccer.

100. The Soccerist says:

Here’s a survey to gauge responses to Robbie Rogers’ announcement: http://www.thesoccerist.com.