Mid-Day Ticker: Hazard avoids longer ban, Beckham donating PSG salary to charity, and more

By VINCE MADURI

Eden Hazard’s suspension for the incident with a Swansea ball boy will not lead to an extended suspension beyond three games.

The FA tried to extend the Belgian’s suspension, recently claiming the ban was “clearly insufficient.”  However, Chelsea took the issue to an independent panel and successfully argued against an extension.

“An independent regulatory commission was of the opinion the existing three match sanction for this offense was sufficient,” the FA said in a statement.

Hazard was suspended following an incident in which he appeared to kick a Swansea City ball boy, who was rolling onto the ball in an apparent time wasting ploy during the second leg of Chelsea’s semifinal Capital One Cup tie with the Welsh club.

Here are some other stories to get you through Thursday:

BECKHAM COMPLETES PSG DEAL, WILL DONATE SALARY TO CHARITY

David Beckham has completed a deal with Paris St-Germain and will join the team on a five month deal.

“I chose Paris because I can see what the club are trying to do,” Beckham said during his introductory press conference.  “I turned down a lot of clubs to join PSG.  I’m very honored.”

PSG director of football Leonardo said financial details were still being worked out but Beckham announced that the money would not ultimately go to his bank account.  In a classy move, the 37 year old will be donating the entirety of the sum to charity.

“I won’t receive any salary during my time at Paris Saint-Germain, my salary will go to a children’s charity in Paris,” the midfielder said.  “It’s something the guys [PSG management] do, but obviously it’s a very good figure. That’s one thing we’re very excited about. To be able to give a huge sum to a children’s charity in Paris is very special.”

Beckham left the LA Galaxy after six seasons in which he made 98 appearances, scoring 18 goals and 40 assists.

COSMOS SIGN EX-RSL KEEPER KYLE REYNISH

The New York Cosmos announced their second and third signings on Thursday, ex-RSL goalkeeper Kyle Reynish and forward Stefan Dimitrov.

Reynish had been with Real Salt Lake since 2007 and made eight appearances for the club, including three starts this past season in which he posted a 0.67 GAA, 1-0-2 record and two shutouts.  The 29 year old has been Nick Rimando’s primary backup during his time with RSL.

Stefan Dimitrov comes to the Cosmos after previously serving with the PDL squad that played against Manchester United in the 2011 Paul Scholes’ testimonial match.  Most recently, the forward played with the Brooklyn Knights PDL squad last season.  Dimitrov scored eight goals in seven appearances for the Knights.

———–

What do you think of these developments? Think Hazard deserved a longer suspension? Impressed with Beckham’s salary gesture, or think it’s just a ploy?

Share your thoughts below.

This entry was posted in European Soccer, Featured, NASL. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Mid-Day Ticker: Hazard avoids longer ban, Beckham donating PSG salary to charity, and more

  1. elgringorico says:

    Cheers Becks.

    Yet again, he proves himself a rather good fellow.

  2. downintexas says:

    France a MLS retirement league. J/k

    Good for Becks.

  3. Dinho says:

    Although a very classy move, a 3 million dollar wage donation (or whatever it is) is nothing compared to 30 million in endorsements he rakes in. And, my understanding is that the income taxes in France are upwards of 50%.

    Becks is no dummy (or at least his financial advisor isn’t).

    Regardless, I’m excited to see him play Champion’s League football.

  4. Dominican Lou says:

    Class move by Becks.

    I’m glad Hazard is only getting the 3 games. The ball boy was at fault and deserved to be kicked.

    Stefan Dimitrov played for the Fire a few years ago.

  5. Lazio Curva Sud says:

    The salary “donation” is a tax loophole for a nine-figure estate. And it’s not like he’s playing for free; there will be a fresh batch of instant millions to be made from Parisian advertisements. We learned how generous Beckham really is when he left two twenties on the table at the Galaxy team dinner and walked out of the restaurant.

  6. RK says:

    Trying to avoid that 75% tax in France?

    • Seattle Coug says:

      Have you heard about this amazing new politician coming through who led the charge up San Juan Hill in Cuba?

      Come on man, it’s old news that was struck down by the French constitutional council.

      • happyjuggler0 says:

        Yes it was struck down, but not because of the amount, but rather because it was geared to individuals instead of towards families (I may have that backwards).

        All indications are that it will be back in place very quickly. 75% of zero Euros is zero Euros in tax that the French government will get as a result of this decision by Beckham.

  7. Jamie Z. says:

    Classy move, Becks. Cheers.

  8. BUD says:

    I don’t even think Hazard kicked the boy. It looked to me like he kicked the ball which was under the boy, for which I don’t believe he should be banned at all.

    • downintexas says:

      Yeah he kicked the ball, but still he should not have done that. I think the club of the ball boy should be punished as well. It was clear he was trying to time waste. Which was dumb since they were up by 2.

  9. Dudester says:

    I imagine the ball boy saying to himself “this is how I’m gonna feign injury when I become a pro baller”