Former U.S. Under-17 national team defender Mobi Fehr will find out which MLS team he will join on Tuesday, and three Western Conference teams are in the running.
The Portland Timbers, San Jose Earthquakes and Seattle Sounders will be vying for Fehr in a weighted lottery MLS will hold on Tuesday. The Timbers have an 83.1 percent chance of winning, while the Sounders have a 15.5 percent chance. The Earthquakes are the long shot, with a 1.4 percent chance.
The winner of the Fehr lottery will also be ineligible to compete in any other similar lotteries for the coming 2013 MLS season. That didn’t stop the Timbers, Earthquakes and Sounders from taking part.
A centerback with the U.S. Under-17 team, the 18-year-old Fehr has spent time training with the Timbers, which saw enough of Fehr to make a play for him in the lottery. Fehr