By FRANCO PANIZO
Thanks in part to Sacha Kljestan, Anderlecht’s UEFA Champions League hopes are still alive.
Kljestan helped lift the Belgian club to a 1-0 victory over Zenit St Petersburg on Tuesday, delivering a first-half assist on a neat give-and-go sequence with teammate Dieumerci Mbokani. The win saw Kljestan and Anderlecht move to four points in Group C, just one behind second-place AC Milan.
Jermaine Jones was also involved in Champions League action, and he helped Schalke bounce back from a two-goal deficit to earn an important result. Jones went the distance as Schalke rallied to tie Arsenal, 2-2, at home, a result that keeps the German club atop Group B with two games remaining.
Here is how the Americans Abroad who were involved in games on Tuesday fared:
UEFA Champions League
- Sacha Kljestan started, played 90 minutes and had the game-winning ASSIST in RSC Anderlecht’s 1-0 win vs. Zenit St Petersburg.
- Jermaine Jones started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Schalke 04′s 2-2 draw vs. Arsenal.
- Oguchi Onyewu dressed but did not play in Malaga’s 1-0 win vs. AC Milan.
- Jonathan Spector came off the bench and played 48 minutes in Birmingham City’s 2-0 win vs. Bristol City.
- Will Packwood dressed but did not play for Birmingham City.
- Tim Ream dressed but did not play in Bolton Wanderers’ 0-0 draw vs. Leicester City.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County’s 2-0 win vs. Barnsley. He is recovering from an appendix injury.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Leicester City’s 0-0 draw vs. Bolton Wanderers. He was serving a one-game suspension due to the ejection he received in the last game.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Carlisle United’s 1-1 draw vs. Preston North End.
- Mike Grella dressed but did not play in Scunthorpe United’s 4-1 win vs. Walsall.
- Robbie Rogers dressed but did not play in Stevenage’s 3-1 win vs. Yeovil Town.
What do you think of Kljestan’s assist? Expecting Jones and Schalke to reach the knockout round of the Champions League? Disappointed by the lack of activity from the other players whose teams had games on Tuesday?
Share your thoughts below.