USMNT Daily Update: Who should Klinsmann call in for the qualifiers?

USMNTvsJamaica911 (ISIPhotos.com)

Photo by ISIPhotos.com

The U.S. Men's National Team will convene in Miami on Monday ahead of the crucial pair of World Cup qualifiers against Antigua & Barbuda and Guatemala, and while we aren't going to find out the names of the 23 players Jurgen Klinsmann has selected until Monday, it isn't tough to figure out we'll be seeing many of the same faces.

Landon Donovan and Michael Bradley are expected to be back in the fold for the upcoming qualifiers so the U.S. team will be stronger than the squad that split games against Jamaica last month, but the rest of the team should be pretty much most of the same players.

Among those players is Graham Zusi, who is playing some of the best soccer in MLS at the moment, and who is riding the confidence gained from his outstanding performance against Jamaica last month. Another player enjoying a good run of form is Danny Williams, who is not only a lock to be on the squad, but will seriously challenge

PROJECTED USMNT WORLD CUP QUALIFYING ROSTER

GOALKEEPERS- Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Sean Johnson

DEFENDERS- Steve Cherundolo, Carlos Bocanegra, Geoff Cameron, Fabian Johnson, Michael Parkhurst, Clarence Goodson, Michael Orozco Fiscal, Edgar Castillo

MIDFIELDERS- Michael Bradley, Landon Donovan, Jermaine Jones, Graham Zusi, Brek Shea, Jose Torres, Danny Williams, Maurice Edu

FORWARDS- Clint Dempsey, Herculez Gomez, Jozy Altidore, Terrence Boyd

———–

Some thoughts:

If you were hoping to see some new faces, don't hold your breath. It's crunch time in qualifying and just not the time to bring in new faces. Klinsmann hs stated several times that he was unlikely to bring in players he hadn't had in before, so don't expect any surprises on Monday.

The third goalkeeper spot is an interesting one. Do you go with the youngsters in Sean Johnson or the veteran in Nick Rimando. With Real Salt Lake scheduled to play a game the day after the Guatemala qualifier in Kansas City, we see Johnson getting the nod (though you wonder if/when Bill Hamid gets another look).

No surprises among the defenders. Eric Lichaj wasn't a likely option even before his recent benching at Aston Villa, while the same centerback options are expected to return. Folks clamoring for the likes of Matt Besler and Omar Gonzalez can think about January call-ups for both of them.

The midfield features three wide options in Donovan, Zusi and Shea, while five central midfield options battle it out for minutes. Kyle Beckerman is left off the list, but with the emergence of Williams, there is less of a need for Beckerman and Klinsmann can allow him to focus on the Real Salt Lake game on Oct. 17th (obviously if the USMNT needed Beckerman to play, he would be missing that RSL match, but since he's unlikely to see the field there is no point bringing him in this time.

The forwards stay the same, though you wonder if Chris Wondolowski gets a look.

—————

What do you think of the squad? Which players are on the team that you are happy to see on it? Who is missing that you think deserves a place? Think this team is strong enough to secure the necessary results to qualify?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

145 Responses to USMNT Daily Update: Who should Klinsmann call in for the qualifiers?

1. Andy says:

I hate this, but it’s definitely spot on with what will happen.

2. BS says:

I would assume this is exactly who he will call, the better questions is who will be starting. Williams, Jones, Altidore, Goodson?

3. Old School says:

Dempsey————————Donovan
    ——Bradley———Williams
    —————Jones
    Johnson———————–Cherundolo
    ——–Bocanegra——Cameron
    ——————Howard

Has Jurgen had an actual lineup off 100% health “regulars” since he’s managed? I can’t remember the last time we’ve had an:

-in form/fit Jozy
    -healthy Bradley
    -healthy/interested Donovan
    -Dempsey fit/available

All at the same time, during his tenure. Hopefully this leads to a more productive, attacking style of play.

At least, one would hope.

4. Sarasota says:

I’d much rather see Corona that Torres. Corona is money with the ball and we need to cap tie him before we lose him.

5. Jared says:

When was the last time Edu played a minute of real game time? Was it with the US against Jamaica in Columbus? He’s shaky enough in possession without being rusty.

Would rather see Gatt get another look than see Edu on the roster.

6. RChris says:

I’m really hoping to see Williams start in his natural position again.

7. elmatador says:

I wonder if Chandler finally agreed to play for us, would he make it to this roster? Only surprise I can think of, other than that spot on

8. 2tone says:

Uhm, Bradley is still injured. Wasn’t part of Roma’s team on Saturday. So who knows if he will be brought in.

Meh on Torres, but he somehow continues to get called in eventhough he has been sub-par at best for the USMNT, and really is pretty average for Pachuca as well.

Orozco Fiscal and Edu should in no way be called in neither have played for their respective club teams the last month.

Gomez has been a bench warmer the past month for Santos

Pontius and Corona should be called in.

9. downintexas says:

As many DM as possible baby!!!!!!!

10. Sarasota says:

Excellent point. I was wondering the same thing. He’s a great young player with size, speed and skills and far better than Parkhurst and Edu!!!

11. don't drink the K-juice says:

We should be seeing some new faces this cycle, oh but wait Klinsmann blew it in Jamaica!

12. 99 says:

agreed.

13. Michael F says:

doesn’t edu have to play at stoke to get a is call up?

14. Andy says:

Bradley isn’t still injured. He’s in training. He just didn’t make the squad after only one or two full training sessions.

The rest I completely agree with. Jozy needs to start. Pontius or Gatt (if fit) would be great. Corona shouldn’t be called in if he has no chance of playing. Just seems like a wasted spot if he doesn’t even get a late sub.

Edu is already poor in possession so I can’t imagine how rusty he’ll be now.

15. bryan says:

GK: Howard, Guzan
    D: Johnson, Chandler, Castillo, Parkhurst, Dolo, Cameron, Boca, Goodson, Spector
    M: Zusi, LD, Jones, Bradley, Williams, Corona, Dempsey, Shea, Torres
    F: Jozy, Boyd, Gomez

i’d like to see that to be honest. i don’t think we need Edu, i still like Chandler, and i don’t see the point in a 3rd keeper. fiscal has lost his starting spot at the club level, so i wouldn’t bring him in either. but i think SBI’s lineup is more realistic.

16. Freddie Footballer says:

I agree. I have a feeling Edu will be left out. Bring Corona, Gatt, or Lichaj instead.

17. bryan says:

well gatt’s injured, so don’t expect that. but i do agree Edu shouldn’t get a call.

18. smokeminside says:

Aron “Iceman” Johansson

19. The Imperative Voice says:

Saucedo and/or Rimando instead of Johnson. Nothing about the U23 keepers screams senior reliability.

Lichaj, Chandler, and DeMerit/Whitbread instead of Castillo, Orozco, and Parkhurst.

Corona, Pontius, Gyau, Beasley, and/or another speedy winger, instead of 1-2 of the lesser DMs.

The Fs are fine. Don’t bother with Wondo.

20. The Imperative Voice says:

Camp Cupcake. An apt time for a flavor of the month to be called in.

21. bryan says:

did you miss the article about him being called up to Iceland?

22. The Imperative Voice says:

Plus I think he’d have to file and have accepted a one-time switch.

23. Jon says:

I’d probably start the following. Now, whether this lineup ends up a 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, or 4-2-3-1 is up for debate…

Howard
    Johnson-Boca-Cameron-Dolo
    Donovan-Jones-Bradley-Zusi
    Dempsey-Altidore

Herc and Williams are your likely subs. 3rd could be any number of guys.

Not really all that concerned with the 17th-23rd players on this time. There’s a job to do, no time to worry about a guy getting a look or any of that. Save it for November and/or January.

24. bryan says:

i think Saucedo has yet to become a US citizen, right?

25. Old School says:

10 DM’s and Howard!

26. DCP says:

I like both Edu and Torres, but neither one of them appears to have shown any improvement since before WC 2010. I think it is time to cut them loose to give some new prospects a chance until they can prove that they belong through their club level play.

27. Eric says:

Agree that what we’ll see is probably SBI’s original roster, except swap Beckerman in for Edu. Ras-Kyle, despite his horrific play against Jamaica, is still a better option than an Edu who doesn’t get any playing time at Stoke, and Klinsi seems to like Ras-Kyle anyways.

28. Steven says:

Yeah that is the lineup I would go with. No Orozco or Edu. Haven’t played with their club teams. The only thing I might differ on is Brek Shea. If we need a winger, call in Gatt or that new guy with Santos named Joya.

29. Old School says:

If Edu has a future with the Nats, I think it’s at CB and even then, I’m not a huge fan of his there.

Edu’s distribution is far too inconsistent to be trusted in the midfield.

Sidenote: it also annoys me he wears #7 – just me?

30. Steven says:

Yeah. I still think Torres deserves to be on the team, but other players like Corona, Gatt, and Diskerud should be given the opportunity to take his spot. Edu now has to work his back on to the team.

31. bryan says:

yeah, it does suck that we have to resort to Shea as a winger, but idk what else we can do. gatt is injured, so that won’t happen. and Joya isn’t ready to be called in. we’re talking two epic qualifiers to move on. not the time to bring him in. realistically, the only other option is Beasley.

32. Steven says:

BEASLEY. I love that guy. Bring him in.

33. away goals says:

What do you hate about it, exactly?

The only two guys I’d want added are lichaj and chandler in place of mof and castillo. But we’re talking reserves at that point.

(doubt chandler would start even if he accepts a call. dolo knows the system better.)

34. BUD says:

Absolutely!

35. Call Up Lichaj says:

I’m assuming we’d see some sort of headlines in advance. I can’t imagine looking at the roster on Sunday/Monday and being surprised to see Chaandler’s name.

Whether or not I’m right about this, I hope he will be there.

36. JEG says:

I second that

37. jerp says:

cheers. hope we see your first lineup!

38. BUD says:

+1, I would like Williams in for Jones however.

39. Vic says:

Agreed. Corona is more versatile and could score.

40. Jared says:

Gatt played in the Europa League today.

41. 2tone says:

You do know Castillo has been tearing it up in Liga MX with Tijuana while Lichaj is back on the bench again for Aston Villa?

42. THomas says:

We have a really solid team.

43. THomas says:

I can see the second lineup and wouldn’t mind it. Only change is he’d have Williams as the deep lying midfielder and Jones/Bradley as the central midfielders. He said recently in an interview on ESPN that he sees Bradley and Jones as 8’s and Williams as a 6.

44. jon says:

Someone has already posted this line-up, but I’d give the nod to Altidore for the start up top over Gomez, and Zusi over L.D. at RW. Zusi looks smart in this role. We have got to give Bradley, Williams, and Jones some playing time together to see what happens.

——————Altidore
    Dempsey—————————-Zusi
    ———-Bradley——–Williams
    ——————Jones
    Johnson—————————-Cherundolo
    ———-Bocanegra——Cameron
    ——————Howard

45. Sarasota says:

Now THAT’s the kind of attacking soccer we were promised!!!!!

46. Jamie says:

I’m going to see how this works on FIFA.

47. THomas says:

Also I watched the Nordjasdgfkjsdgkj v Dortmund game yesterday and Parkhurst was one of the better players as the right back on an impressive Nordgasdlkjgasdlh team. Despite the loss in the end, they showed well.

48. bryan says:

oh, i didn’t realize that. that’s good to hear. did he start?

49. atd says:

Plus he might have been left off the game day roster on account of his kid’s birth. At any rate, word is he’s expected to start this weekend. No brainer he makes the WCQ roster.

50. Big Chil says:

SBI, what do you think the chances Josh Gatt will be called in again? A new face, but JK tried to call him last time.

51. RLW2020 says:

that line up will get the job done. however the #17-23 are important because there are 2 games; wins and goal differential is vital!

52. 2tone says:

Uhm it was Nordsjaelund V Chelsea.

53. 2tone says:

Gatt may get a call-up still. Played 12 minutes today in the Europa League, and is in line to start this weekend.

54. RLW2020 says:

———–JJ——–Bradley———–
    -Johnson–Boca—–Cameron—Churundolo-
    —————-Howard—————–
    subs: Williams, Shea, Castillo, Guzan, Gomez, Goodson

55. Old School says:

That’s awesome.

I think most of us prefer Williams at that #6 and his last showing perhaps proved to JK he’s capable.

I hadn’t read that interview, so, my second line-up was based on previous placements.

56. walterpayton2.0 says:

yeah i was just about to make that comment,lol.

57. THomas says:

Agreed…and all of his previous lineups put Williams as a right mid, until last game. So it was nice to hear that he does know where his players would fit best. He just has a lot of central midfielders and not a lot of wingers. At the time he was trying to put his best players out there.

58. B Hoff says:

I think we really need not just a win, but a comanding dominant performance against A&B. Would love to see either:
    ——jozy——
    —-Donovan—
    Dempsey-bradley-zusi
    ——–jones——-
    johnson-boca-cameron-dolo.

or play brek on the left and move dempsey to the withdrawn
    striker and donovan to the right.

Gimme goals!!!! Lots of goals!!!!!!

59. THomas says:

Give me a break I had the flu…all of the games have melted together in my mind at this point. But thanks for the correction. Regardless he looked good.

60. Taylor says:

Called up, yes. Accepted, not yet.

61. The Imperative Voice says:

Really? He might be an interesting player but if I callup a sub, I probably don’t want a player so closely off a muscle pull that he’s not played longer than 12 minutes, where I could throw him out there as a sub, and potentially either need a sub for the sub, or be stuck playing with 10, in qualifying.

You’re saying in line to start like we could scout that, but the reality is the decisions are probably largely made and we’re monitoring the players for health over the weekend, eg, Gatt last time.

So, Camp Cupcake maybe.

62. Nick F says:

Do you ever think Freidel regrets retiring way before the end of his club career?

I would love to know what goes on in his head when he thinks about those things…

63. Ben says:

I’m still beating the drum for Diskerud; make it happen Klinsi.

64. GW says:

According to Saucedo himself, he can’t become a US citizen in time for the 2014 WC. By the time he is eligible he will be about 34-35.

65. VA Law says:

I realize it’s qualifying, and it’s not really time to bring in new guys, but who exactly does Chris Pontius have to bone to get called in? What dastardly deed has he done to find himself out in the hinterlands of the MNT picture? I mean, I’m a DC fan, and so I’m excited that he will get to stay with the club team and not risk injury in camp or in a game, but good grief, Klinsi.

66. soccerhorn says:

Apparently there’s these two guys named Gatt and Diskerud. They’ve never been called in, and no one can even be sure that they even exist. And yet every one of these rumor blogs that SBI starts, people are calling out those two names.

Meanwhile, there’s this guy named Chandler, doesn’t speak English, has never made a significant contribution to the USMNT, and has made it openly clear to anyone who will listen that he really, really doesn’t want to play for the USA. Nevertheless, SBI commenters keep begging for him like he’s like the second coming of …. who? I don’t know, name me whoever you think is the greatest RB in the history of the game.

USMNT needs some attacking punch to take pressure off their ever-beleaguered back line. Bring in Altidore, Donovan, Dempsey, Kljestan, Gomez, Wondolowski… anybody that can hold up the ball in the attacking third and shoot.

67. Scott says:

Perfect, except for maybe a williams for jones swap.

68. Omar Little says:

Will people stop with the chandler talk already? That weird looking german ship has sailed.

69. biff says:

Not so sure that Jermaine Jones will be fit for a call-up. He missed this week’s Champions League game because of injury. And there are press reports out of Italy today that Michael Bradley’s status for the Atalanta match this weekend is still questionable. And, in any case, he has not played for over a month meaning he cannot be in top form and Klinsmann was quoted today on the the US Soccer web site saying: ”It is really crucial when it gets down to World Cup Qualifiers when you put your roster together that you look at their individual schedule; who is in full swing, who is struggling getting games in, who is spending too much time on the bench. Going into these two decisive games we need to make sure they are all at 100 percent.”

It would be crazy to put Jones or Bradley on the field in these next two crucial games if they are not 100% fit and I don’t see Klinsmann risking his job doing something that stupid. We cannot afford to sub out a reinjured player in the 20th minute. We have other good defensive midfielders playing regularly and 100% fit.

70. biff says:

I want to see Pointius next week also and I think Klinsmann is finally going to grow some big ones and do it and field a true attacking line-up. Just a hunch I have.

71. biff says:

It will be very, very interesting to see whether Clarence Goodson is on the roster with all the confusion about whether or not he really received a yellow card in the September 7 game against Jamaica in Kingston. If the official Concacaf match report, which does not show Goodson getting a yellow card in the September 7 game, is correct, then my guess is we don’t see him next week.

link to tinyurl.com

72. Darwin says:

Herschel Walker!

73. Seriously says:

Slight difference in competition there 2tone…

74. Go with the boys that are in form less Donovan

———Jozy———–
    Landy———–Demps—
    ———Zusi———–
    —-Jones—-Williams—
    Johnson————-Dolo
    —-Orozco—Cameron—-
    ——–Who.else——–

75. soccerhorn says:

Thank you.

76. Jared says:

He came on as a late sub. Not sure he is in any way match fit but I’d like to see him called in even if it’s just as a late sub possibility over another call up for Edu.

77. Jared says:

Does the voice in his head have the same weird hybrid English accent?

78. Ted Tran says:

Doesn’t really take more than a few months if one of your parents is a US citizen.

79. Freddie Footballer says:

If he is on the announced roster for their games, that mean he has accepted. The question is (looks likely) he’ll get a cap in one of their two upcoming games and he’ll be cap-tied to Iceland. He’s as good as gone.

80. Colin in MT says:

This, except swap Dempsey and Donovan. Donovan gets back on d better and attacks better when he has some space to run at guys. Dempsey can find the game and create from the center.

81. Heft says:

Zusi needs another look.

82. beachbum says:

—————Jozy—————-
    —-Clint——————–LD—-
    ———–JJ———MB/Zusi——
    ————–Williams————-
    –Fabian—Boca—-Cameron—Dolo–
    ————–Howard—————

Hope MB is fit, if not then Zusi
    Hope JJ is fit, if not then MB there with Zusi right
    And perhaps JJ destroys with MB and Zusi above him, if all fit

83. 2tone says:

Well then why call in Bradley then as well. he just came off of a thigh tear, adn hasn’t seen the field yet, but might this weekend.

84. 2tone says:

Lol at Wondo and Kljestan.

85. cairo says:

—————-Jozy—————–
    ————-Clint——————-
    Donovan——-Bradley———–Zusi
    ————–Williams—————
    Fabian——Boca—Cameron——Dolo
    —————Howard—————

Want players who can cross. And Why would we break up a very successful partnership between Zusi and Dolo, when both are in top form right now?

86. Thomas says:

I think Brad Guzan should start a game before the year ends. He is playing well for Aston Villa.
    I aslo think that it is funny that Guzan starts above Ireland’s starting GK and Brad Friedel starts above France’s captain, starting GK.

87. Amru says:

I wish I had that hunch. 20 bucks says JK plays Bradley jones and Williams in the midfield, which will stagnate the attack and lead to a lackluster victory in Antigua

88. Lio says:

You do know Lichaj is good and Castillo is not.

89. beachbum says:

I like your lineup

90. Bimmer_benz says:

You do know that you’re ignorant.

91. Bimmer_benz says:

He didn’t blew it Beckerman and Edu blew it.

92. Bimmer_benz says:

You ignorant bigots do know that he’s coming back right? He’s a BEAST starting consistently in the Bundesliga.

93. Primoone says:

Great point with regards to crunch time. US definitely needs to secure passage to the next round so experimentation should not be a focus so no sense in naming players fit for january callups. Having said that, I do feel that some of the players that have not seen much playing time such as: Castillo, Goochi man, Beasly, Fiscal, Spector, williams and Corona should be able to iether get a start in one of the games or get meaningfull minutes somewhere. I think that it would be a benifit to be able to have players that have played within JKs tactics/positions.

94. Edwin in LA says:

I think he’s cap tied since he used his 1 time switch to play for the US after playing for Mexico in a friendly…..

95. HoboMike says:

I see nothing in the previous two comments that suggest either ignorance or bigotry. Multiple German newspapers have reported that he’s still hoping to catch Low’s eye, he’s clearly used the US as a showcase to the German team (as he’s pulled out of every cap-tying possibility that Klinsi has given him), and he’s really weird looking.

96. roberto says:

bottom line we’re way better than antigua and Guatemala.. should win 2-0 antigua and 2-0 guatemala.. not asking for much

97. GW says:

Saucedo was born in Mexico City. He is not a US citizen.

His mother is American citizen but it is not clear if she was a citizen when he was born.

If he was, then she can file for a green card and that would, as you say, only take a few months but citizenship would then take a further five years.

If she was not a US citizen at the time of his birth then it gets complicated.

Any of you who are immigration experts feel free to correct me but that is my understanding.

The quotes:

“The possibility of Saucedo suiting up for the Americans stemmed from reports out of Mexico earlier in the week that indicated that the Xolos goalkeeper was lobbying for a spot on the U.S. team, while leaving the issue of his eligibility via citizenship in the air. The process of becoming a citizen would take at least five years, meaning he’d be nearly 36 by the time he’d be able to suit up for the U.S.

“First, I’d like to clear up that an article was published recently by a newspaper that put words in my mouth that I never said. I’m going to analyze the situation when it becomes a possibility. My mother’s American, I don’t have [citizenship] yet,” Saucedo said….”We’re talking about a hypothetical. I have the chance to play for the United States if I’m a citizen, not if the Mexican national team doesn’t call me up. It’s a complicated issue,” the former Tigres and Indios player noted. “I don’t know if it’s going to happen yet. I would want to do it because of my family, for my child’s education. For that to happen my mother and I have to undergo the process.”

Although he is three years younger than the United States’ current first-choice goalkeeper, Howard, a mindful Saucedo said he was aware that the legal process behind becoming eligible might take several years.

“It’s not a process that takes a day. That’s the reality,” he continued. “We’ve looked at ways for us to do this. There are legal questions that need to be answered.”

Even then, Saucedo would not completely dismiss the chance of suiting up for Mexico’s biggest rival.

“If, in the future, there is a possibility to play for the United States, we’ll analyze that. I mean, would I love to play in a World Cup? Yes, definitely. But right now, I’m focused on my club,” he said.”.

98. GW says:

Ireland’s GK is on the downside of his EPL career and France’s GK is just beginning his EPL career. So for Guzan and Friedel, timing is everything.

I don’t think JK likes alternating keepers so Howard is probably as automatic as it gets but Guzan needs to be playing lights out. Real competition makes Howard play better and he will need to be at his all time best for the US to make noise in the World Cup, assuming we make it.

99. GW says:

Steven,

Corona, Gatt and Mix do not play the same position or do the same things Mo does.

100. GW says:

It’s hard to say if it is just you. There are probably a couple of million (??) USMNT fans and who knows how they feel about it.

However, you post about it so I’d have to say it’s just you.

7 is a midfielder’s number, right wing if you are a traditionalist. Edu is no winger but he is at least right footed and he is a midfielder.

You should be more upset with Deuce wearing #2, the number for a right back. I get he is Deuce and he wore it at New England but it’s like college quarterbacks wearing numbers higher than 19 (Flutie #22). Awkward somehow. Or Zidane wearing #5, a centerback’s number.

101. mr coolio says:

Do we really need to call up Edu, Jones, Williams, and Bradley? It seems kind of redundant since they all play similar positions. I would leave Edu out of the equation for this go around and call up Corona and Gatt instead.

102. Old School says:

Well, we’re not exactly talking about club numbers though, are we? I’m making a reference to Edu’s #7 with the Nats.

I guess I’m more annoyed with the idea that he believes he’s a #7?

It was also slightly weird to see William Gallas with #10 / James Riley (RB) #7.

I don’t even consider myself a traditionalist. It’s just….you know…weird -_-

103. GW says:

18 man roster

4-2-3-1

Howard

Dolo, Goodson, Boca, Fabian

Williams, Cameron

Donovan, Dempsey,Zusi

Jozy

Subs:

Gomez, Boyd, Castillo, Corona,Shea,Guzan,Torres

104. chris_thebassplayer says:

I think you nailed it, definitely LD on the left…hope to see Zusi on the right…I’d rather see Herc instead of Jozy up top though.

105. Dinho says:

I like all of this. Well done.

106. 2tone says:

Dumb post. I laugh at biased fans like yourself.

107. GW says:

JK hasn’t been consistent with the 2-11 traditional number system has he?

It seems to me he went back to letting the players wear “their” numbers, Dolo #6, Cameron #20 and so. I’m not sure what you mean by Edu seeing himself as a #7.

Is that the number he iat Rangers? Did he ask for it or was he assigned it?

#7 obviously symbolizes a certain kind of player to you but Edu and JK may not see things the way you do.

These days numbers are only there to give the ref a number to book or for people to differentiate the players.

108. GW says:

If MB90 is healthy and sound, he has proven in the past that he can get the job done, even if he hasn’t played in a while.

Whether JK will let him is another story.

109. Old School says:

Yea, not sure why JK dropped the traditional number system.

Then again, he also didn’t have the names on the back of the kits early on too. I think that was more setting a tone than anything.

Regarding numbers, I think they mean more than they ever have in sports. They’ve become much more about personal meaning and even at times marketing tools.

110. GW says:

“What dastardly deed has he done to find himself out in the hinterlands of the MNT picture?”

Mostly he has bad luck with injuries at the wrong time. He had to pull out of a couple of potential call ups because of that. This time around his problem is that he is not really a winger and is more of a scoring attacking midfielder/forward like Dempsey. And Dempsey is better at being Dempsey.

111. ACS says:

Mix is out with a hip injury, couldn’t call him in if you wanted too.

112. biff says:

Hmmm. That line-up from surprises me from you, GW, and I gotta say, I generally like it (all 18 of them) except for Goodson on the backline. But I don’t expect Goodson to get called up anyway after the yellow card mystery of the Semptember 7 Jamaica game. We will see Monday. In any case, I do think we will see Cameron as a center back for these next two games and, assuming Bradley and Jones are not called up because of injury-fitness issues, I think we would see Williams paired with Corona, Torres or Beckerman (yes, I think he gets called up) and I still think Klinsmann is going to surprise the world and call up Chris Pontius (probably instead of Brek Shea).

113. biff says:

i still like Edu, but agree a lack of playing time the past month makes him questionable for these games. Beckerman will be called up, I think, and deservedly so.

114. biff says:

agree on Castillo. he is playing 90m every game for the second placed team in Mexico and is key part of the team and is one of the USMNT’s best technical players, behind maybe Fabian Johnson and Jose Torres. Next year in the Hex (assuming we make it and we still have two crucial games before we know for sure) we are going to be very glad to have a player of Castillo’s qualities on the team to play either left back or left wing.

115. PD says:

I think your enthusiasm for JoCo is awesome, but thinking he’s a higher rating than Torres right now is a bit misplaced. Torres is an ideal second half sub now when the team has a lead. Maintain possession, don’t make dumb decisions. If we’re in a situation where any number of players can’t go 90 in the midfield he’s the guy for the job.

116. biff says:

This is a good point and after Klinsmann’s comments yesterday and I don’t think we see MB in this camp.

117. PD says:

Parkhurst is perhaps the most underrated player in the pool right now ( of those getting calls, that is).

118. biff says:

But, GW, MB also has had several weak performances last summer in the Gold Cup after hardly playing at the club level from January through May. You are making it sound like if Klinsmann does not call him up it will be for personal reasons. Klinsmann wants the best team possible for two crucial games that most likely we need at least one win and one draw. Klinsmann’s future rests with these next two games. If he fails to have the USMNT qualify for the Hex then he will almost certainly be fired and would probably be the most humiliating experience of his life. I have full faith that he will pick a roster that he feels has the best chance of saving his skin. If MB is fit enough to play this weekend against Atalanta and does a good job, Klinsmann most likely will call him in. But if MB does not make the roster or even if he is sitting on the bench I doubt that Klinsmann would be foolish enough to bend to the wishes of some fans and call him in. Better to go with players in good form who are 100% fit.

119. biff says:

ha-ha. I hate myself for laughing at that list line, but it sneaked out…

120. biff says:

*last line*

121. PD says:

^this.

My dream lineup against A-B (never happen, but would be fun to see).

DMB—-Jozy—-Gomez
    LD—-Bradley—Deuce
    ——–Jones————
    Boca–Cameron–‘dolo
    ——-Howard————

2nd half subs: Fabian Johnson and Graham Zusi for DMB and Duece (4-4-2) then Torres for Jozy. ending formation 4-5-1.

122. Andy says:

“one of the USMNTs best technical players, behind maybe Fabian Johnson and Jose Torres”?

Really!?

Bradley, Dempsey, and Donovan would strongly disagree with that statement; as would anyone else who’s seen them all play.

123. Andy says:

While Deuce wears 2 at Spurs, he wears 8 for the USNMT.

124. Thomas says:

Graham Zusi needs to leave the MLS. I was thinking mid-table French league team.
    Thoughts?

125. BrettBates says:

Old School – Its hard to take Zusi off the starting 11 after he was arguably our best player against Jamaica. Do you see any potential lineups where he will start (along side Donovan)?

126. BrettBates says:

I like that as a 4-2-3-1 but put Gomez in over Altidore. Jozy hasn’t done anything on a National level to deserve the automatic plug in as the lone forward. Sub him in late for Herc (65th min).

127. BrettBates says:

This is 90% perfect in my book and the best I have seen so far. I would exchange Herc for Jozy though. Aside from that, well done.

128. THomas says:

I’m not familiar enough w/ the French League. I was thinking maybe Holland or a league that has the style of play where he can develop into a true wing option.

129. BrettBates says:

He just signed an extension with Sporting before this season. So I would expect Sporting would only sell him for a high dollar/pound rate. Which is something I don’t see a mid-table French team being able to afford. EPL top third or mid-table La Liga. (it would be great to have a USMNT player in the Spanish league)

130. Ryan says:

JK doesn’t seem to like playing Dempsey out wide, so we’ll probably see something more like this:

——————Gomez——————
    Donovan———-Dempsey————-Zusi
    ———Jones———–Bradley———
    Johnson—Boca———–Cameron—–Dolo
    —————–Howard——————

Although, I could see him dropping Zusi, moving Gomez to the right and playing Jozy up top. Personally, I would rather see Williams than Jones, but not sure that’ll happen.

131. Ryan says:

Dempsey Gomez

Gatt Bradley Jones Donovan

Fabian Boca Geoff Dolo

Howard

Johannsson Altidore

Zusi Williams Beckerman Torres

Lichaj Goodson Parkhurst Spector

Guzan/Rimando

Beckerman struggled in Jamaica but I will have him over Edu any day. I wish Holden was’nt injured and Onyewu would pull his head out. Shae is okay but needs to go overseas. We need Johannsson as well as Gatt. Gatt fills in the areas where USA is lacking.

132. pd says:

probably not, and you have to wonder if he’d even still be playing (let alone playing as well) if he hadn’t.

Plus, I wonder what kind of career Howard would be having is he hadn’t. the National Team really helped Howard establish himself in a way that simply being with Everton could have never done. In a way his retiring was a great move for the program, but it’s also sad.

Same can be said for when Howard retired after Brazil, but if Guzan is ever get where he can be that’s gonna need to happen one day.

Now, if someone want to talk McBride Pope and Reyna out of retirement…

133. pd says:

1. Let’s assume Jones and Bradley won’t play until Guatemala.
    2. Let’s assume Jozy Donovan and Dempsey will not go 90
    (barring an injury that forces another sub).
    3. let’s assume Ives is spot on in his callups:
    4. Let’s assume JK is going to go with a 4-3-3 that is essentially using 3 DMS as he has thus far.

vs A&B
    ———Gomez———— (sub Boyd)
    Landon—————-Deuce (sub Shea & Zusi)
    —–Torres–Edu–Williams
    —Johnson Boca Cameron ‘dolo
    ———-Howard

vs GUA

——Deuce—Altidore—- (sub Gomez)
    LD——————– Zusi (Torres for LD)
    ——Bradley-Jones—- (sub Edu or Jones if MB are not 90)
    Johnson–Boca-Cam—‘dolo
    ——–Howard

134. bizzy says:

Torres, not even getting full playing time with his mexican CLUB….HIS MEXICAN CLUB, THATS LIKE COMING OFF THE BENCH WITH A TOP MLS TEAM!!! GABBAGE – Give me a Freddy Adu, Benny Feilhaber or any day of the week.

Brek Shea is an up and coming player but as a winger for the USMNT right now, I think Chris Pontius is better all around player

Terrence Boyd or Chris Wondolowski???…..Boyd is a very good player but he is like “an Altidore”….I think its time to try wondo up top, someone who is certifided to score when in front of goal, have him alternate with Gomez (someone with the same certification..lol)…back to back top scorer awards, leading the league again by a large margine….doesnt matter how he plays THE MAN CAN SCORE GOALS….period

135. Steve-O says:

From watching the USMNT practice in May, I can say that I was really impressed with Castillo’s first touch when he was playing an 11 v. 11 possession game within a 40×40 yd. grid. That’s a really tight space to operate in and he did really well finding pockets of space to both gain possession and support the players with the ball. Don’t get me wrong, Dempsey is a better player, but Castillo looked just as comfortable on and around the ball as Deuce. Also, Herc tore it up in training that day! Jozy was a not-too-distant second, and Boyd definitely third.

136. bizzy says:

uuhhhh yeah that was Freddy, Benny or Brad Davis(LCM, better than torres)…and certified not certifided…lol

137. PD says:

I say A&B will be 1-0 or a blowout (hoping for a close match).

Guatemala will be a nailbiter.

138. PD says:

Yes that or Holland or Belgium; someplace that emphasizes possession and attack and has a rep for bringing along younger players. Bordeaux and Lyon would be good. He’d have a tougher time breaking into Marseille.

139. JJ says:

Howard
    Dolo Cameron Boca Johnson
    Williams Jones
    Donovan Torres
    Deuce
    Altidore

140. pd says:

Proofing aside, I’m a huge fan of Freddy and Benny, and while both are doing well on their respective (and inept) sides, Torres has been called up and is on JKs wavelength. Moreover, he is one of the best players in the pool for maintaining possession and managing the tempo of the game, which we will need if we get an early lead and need a sub for any number or MF/F players.. This fixture date will not be a time to bring new folks in. I think we see both Adu & Feilhaber and maybe Pontius in January. Until then chill.

141. bizzy says:

I respect that input and the comment ” This fixture date will not be a time to bring new folks in” but right now Torres is no good pd…..and it is evident with his play time with his club and its not like he’s coming off the bench for an EPL or Serie A team. He is one of the best players in the pool at his best (at his best!!!) because of his skill set but we can both agree that right now he is far from it.
    He comes off the bench for Pachuca and plays 28 min…a team no better than the houston Dynamo or Sporting KC, week before that played 69 mins, before that 71 mins…if you can’t start, control and end a game for Pachuca you surely can’t do it for the US MENS NATIONAL TEAM.
    I’ll rather take my chances with someone who is not consistant but anytime he puts on a Nats jersey he Excels when the game is on the line, like freddy Adu, than a player like Torres

142. David says:

I’d rather have in in-form player rather than one riding the bench for sure. But I only have to look to last year’s game against Chelsea where Lichaj was easily the best player on the field, absolutely shutting down Torres and netting a goal to know that he is the future left back for us.

143. smokeminside says:

If anyone read the earlier thread on Johansson with any kind of comprehension, they’d know this was a joke.

144. Brain Guy says:

It seems arbitrary to say “no new guys” even if they’re destined to be subs for this cycle. That means that Gatt’s injury last time disqualifies him now too? And next year too? I would much rather see him in the midfield possibilities than Edu (whom I like but as a CB).