USMNT Daily Update: SBI’s 23 for 2014 (October 2012 edition)

Photo by ISIPhotos.com

By IVES GALARCEP

There are 594 days between now and the 2014 World Cup. That may seem like a long time, but for the players with aspirations of being in Brazil representing the United States, the clock is ticking very fast and those 594 days will be gone before we know it.

Less than two years remain until the World Cup, meaning players hoping to maintain their standing or establish themselves on the national team radar have to take full advantage of the upcoming seasons if they are going to impress Jurgen Klinsmann enough to book a place on the plane.

There are 23 spots up for grabs, and for the next 19 months SBI will offer one take on how the U.S. Men’s National Team roster could look when the World Cup begins in June of 2014. Yes, the U.S. still has to qualify for the World Cup, and that won’t be guaranteed in what should be a very tough Hexagonal group, but you can let this be your place to discuss the state of the national team pool, and which players have rising or falling stock as we get closer to the 2014 World Cup.

The first projected roster will look a lot like the rosters we have seen in recent months for the national team, save for a few new faces. Plenty can change between now and May of 2014, when Klinsmann will select his roster, but this won’t be the place for highly-speculative picks of young players who haven’t really proven themselves on the club level, let alone the national team level.

Young faces will emerge (hopefully) and some older players will begin to fade out of the picture. With that in mind, here is the projected 23-man USMNT roster we see heading to Brazil in 2014.

PROJECTED USMNT WORLD CUP 2014 ROSTER

GOALKEEPERS- Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Sean Johnson

Outlook- Howard is a lock, and safe bet to start in 2014 if he’s healthy. Brad Guzan could play well enough to push Howard, but should solidify the No. 2 spot. Expect one of the young goalkeepers to take the third spot, and Johnson, Bill Hamid and Zac MacMath should all be in that mix.

———————-

DEFENDERS- Steve Cherundolo, Fabian Johnson, Geoff Cameron, Omar Gonzalez, Clarence Goodson, Matt Besler, Eric Lichaj, Edgar Castillo

Outlook- Cherundolo could drop off between now and 2014, but at the moment he still looks very strong. Carlos Bocanegra isn’t quite as lucky as he falls short behind some younger options. Michael Parkhurst missed the cut but is playing at a high level right now and shouldn’t be ruled out.

Gonzalez is still working his way back from knee surgery, but he projects as a quality national team option and should make his way into the national team mix in 2013. Besler is a solid left-footed centerback who doesn’t boast the same size and athleticism of some others here, but his poise, ability to read the game and strong left foot make him a good candidate to make the team.

There are some promising teenage prospects in the pipeline, like Will Packwood, Sean Cunningham and John Anthony Brooks, but it’s very presumptuous to think they will improve enough in the next year and a half to make this team. Some players who could work their way into the mix at fullback include Chance Myers and Steven Beitashour.

One obvious wild card is Timmy Chandler, who would be a lock to make the team if he were clearly committed to the USMNT. He won’t be projected here until he does make his way back into the fold.

———————–

MIDFIELDERS- Michael Bradley, Danny Williams, Landon Donovan, Graham Zusi, Josh Gatt, Brek Shea, Maurice Edu.

Outlook- I’m not buying Donovan’s talk of potentially retiring just yet. If he’s still playing he will be on that roster. And if not? Joe Corona is a player on a good track of growth. Brek Shea hasn’t had the best run of form lately, but he has plenty of time to put it all together. Sacha Kljestan and Mikkel Diskerud should also be options, as is Chris Pontius.

Gatt is the youngest player on this roster, and his speed on the right flank makes him a very intriguing prospect. Jermaine Jones misses the cut because he’ll be close to 33 when Brazil rolls around. Could he still be playing at a high level by then and make the team? It’s entirely possible, but we’ll give the edge to the younger and more versatile Edu, who also gives the team cover at centerback.

One player who hasn’t played lately, but who will have time to play himself on the squad is Stuart Holden. We won’t project him onto the 23 just yet, but if he can return to his pre-injury form, when he was one of the more impressive central midfielders in the English Premier League, you can rest assured he will earn a place in the squad.

———————–

FORWARDS- Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, Eddie Johnson, Herculez Gomez, Terrence Boyd

Outlook- Klinsmann will need five forwards if he plans on sticking with the 4-3-3 and this group gives him a variety of options. Jozy Altidore may be in the doghouse now but he’s too good not to work his way back into the mix.

Gomez has worked hard to become a starter, but he will be 32 when the next World Cup kicks off. If he loses form and slows down then you could see Klinsmann going with another midfielder. It would certainly improve Boyd’s chances to make the team.

Young forwards like Juan Agudelo, Teal Bunbury and C.J. Sapong have time to play their way onto the radar.

——–

This is just one person’s take, and opinions on players, and rankings, and the overall roster will change from month to month. You can feel free to agree or disagree. Let the 23 for 2014 be a starting-off point for a discussion on the state of the pool.

What do you think of this group? Which player are you happy to see make our projected 23-man roster? Who didn’t make that you think should be on the squad?

This entry was posted in Featured, SBI 23 for 2010, U.S. Men's National Team, USMNT Daily Update. Bookmark the permalink.

186 Responses to USMNT Daily Update: SBI’s 23 for 2014 (October 2012 edition)

1. Justin says:

I think Cherundolo will drop off, and Jones won’t. I think Chandler will ultimately commit to the team. I think Onyewu’s form will return, and I think Mikkel Diskerud will ultimately have to be on the team.

- Cherundolo + Chandler
    - Besler + Onyewu
    - Castillo + Jones
    - Shea, + Diskerud

Two dark horses – I think in the spring of 2014, Brooks and Hurzeler will be good enough to get real looks by the US, and won’t be seriously considered by Germany. Both of those could end up on the 23.

• Da trufth says:

Way too far away to call out. Look how many different players there are from Gold Cup 2011 !!!

Aron Johannsson ???

Ricardo Bocanegra, Andrew Wooten, Mikkel Diskerud, John Anthony Brooks, Seb Hines

Wild Card: Thomas Delaney

• Josh D says:

I have to agree about Mix. He’s too good to not see time next year when things settle down and Klinsi can experiment a bit. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in November against Russia. He’s exactly the kind of central midfielder who would excel in the 3-man midfield alongside Bradley and in front of Williams: He has vision, attacking potential, creativity, passing, and a decent engine. He’s similar to Holden in my mind.

I also think Jones stays. Even at 33 he’ll have his engine and work ethic. He may not be a starter, but having him off the bench right before extra time could make a difference. I think Shea is the one to leave behind. He has too many mental growing pains to overcome before he can take his game to the next level. Edu has proven in recent games that he just doesn’t have the skills to compete with this group of central midfielders. His only hope is transforming himself into a CB. And fast.

I also think Brooks gets in.

• Dennis says:

Soccer players get injured. Even the US midfield has looked thin with Holden, MB, Donavon and Jones suffering injuries that limited their availability. Any team that is not at least 2 deep at every position with very strong #3 candidates will have troubles. Given that variability, it is really tough to project out 2 years concerning who will be available (never mind also playing well). Who will be the surprises?

• ChrisTheLSUTiger says:

How many games have you seen Hurzeler play?

• Dennis says:

Goodson, Cherundolo, Donavon, Dempsey, E. Johnson, Bocanega, Howard and Gomez will all be 30 or over when the 2014 WC commences. Since age=more frequent injury and age=slowing down, only the smart players of this group will be around. I am guessing that means maybe Dolo and Dempsey and of course Howard since keepers last longer will actually start. Right now I would put Donavon as an outside chance (due to increasingly frequent injury).

2. Jeff says:

Wow, you did not even mention Torres. How far has he fallen?

• Ted Tran says:

Keep in mind this is Ives list, not klinsy

• Ives Galarcep says:

Actually it’s the list I see Klinsmann taking. It’s not purely my list as if I were coach. That would be a different list. Maybe I’ll start running my own personal selections at some point.

• NY Red Bulls says:

I would like to see your list, that would be interesting. I would like to also offer up Connor Lade as an option. When Thierry Henry calls you an MVP it means something

• jon says:

Post your list Ives! Would love to see it

• Wendell Gee says:

I was going to ask about that. I assumed it was your list, not a projection of Klinsmann’s list. Best to make that clear next time!

• Ives Galarcep says:

It’s pretty clear to most that it’s the projection of what Klinsmann will pick. That’s what I do with all my roster projections. Been doing it for years.

• ThaDeuce says:

What about Bornstein?

• Ives Galarcep says:

He’s on the radar, but looking at the team and the system and how he’s looked I’m just not sure he makes the team. Still plenty of time though.

• JC says:

Any chance Junior Hoilett from QPR makes a commitment to the U.S.?

• solles says:

eh? is he eligible? canada and england, sure, but the us?

• David JS says:

I haven’t found any reasoning for it thru internet searches, but this post on FIFA’s official website says he’s eligible for the USA. His parents are Jamaican and he was born in Canada. My guess is either he commits to Jamaica before the Hex or he doesn’t ever play international soccer unless he qualifies for and is called by England. He moved there at 13 so I imagine if they wanted him, he wouldn’t have too much trouble qualifying for them.
          link to fifa.com

• Evan W says:

I would be willing to bet a good amount of money that unless Torres is injured, he will be on the 23 man roster.

• DCP says:

How much is a lot of money? There may be a lot of people willing to take you up on that bet. In my opinion, Torres has gone past the point where he could be thought of as a promising prospect to the point where he should be a strong contributor. Unfortunately for him, he still seems to be a fringe player who has not really developed much at the club or international level over the past couple of years. Meanwhile, there are new players developing to take his spot. You may be right that he will be in the 23, but unless he ups his game and gets on a strong run of form, my bet is that like the last two qualifiers he will find himself on the outside looking in while someone like Corona takes his place.

3. HoboMike says:

For someone who has played with as many as 3 DMs on the field at the same time, I find it hard to believe that Klinsmann would call in only one or 1.5 (Edu being a mix between centerback and DM).

I’m hoping that someone young steps up. That group just doesn’t feel like it can go as far as we did in 2010. There is no pure creative player, like a Feilhaber in 2010, for an instant spark off the bench when we need a goal.

I’m hoping Boyd takes some serious steps forward and becomes a monster. We are in dire need of a beastly striker.

• HoboMike says:

Obviously Corona could be that creative playmaker, but we just haven’t seen enough of it quite yet.

• Guy #2 says:

Or possibly Adu

• Sarasota says:

Agree with HoboMike. Corona has very good touch, distributes very well and is Money in front of goal. I think he has a much greater upside than Torres at the international level. No disrespect to Torres, a solid club player, but I’ve seen enough of him.

• Josh D says:

Agreed. Even in his two minute appearance, Corona just looked at ease with quick passing and solid movement. More please!

I think Klinsi leaves most of the American/Mexican club players at home against Russia, but I hope to see Corona. He deserves it after riding the bench quietly for the last few months.

• David JS says:

Edu, Williams, Bradley. 3 D mids…

4. Joe says:

NIce picks Ives.

I really think Edu could find his way off the USMNT in a hurry if his first touch and awareness don’t improve. He is a strong, physical player but needs a lot of improvement with the technical side of his game.

I totally agree that Danny Williams will be going if healthy. Its just funny how soccer works out sometimes, people were wanting him off the team when he was playing RM, and now can barely live without him at CM. Form is fleeting as they say and hope that players like Shea, Holden, and gatt seize their opportunities again once they have them.

USA!

• Joe says:

Players I would love to see back on the team, if healthy and committed…

Stuart Holden (Obviously, the kid can flat out play)

Timothy Chandler (We will need to have him say the Pledge of Allegiance everyday with his hand over his heart, before, during, and after practices, that, or we just need to cap tie him.)

Aron Johannsson (He is not a world beater and is not the next savior of US soccer, but he is an interesting prospect and hope that JK calls him in for the Russia game in a couple weeks and Camp Cupcake)

• 2tone says:

Johnasson will have to file a onetime switch in order to play for the USMNT. In no way do I think he will be called in any time soon.

• David JS says:

He did turn down Iceland’s call up for their last WC qualifiers tho (allegedly for an injury but he hasn’t missed any club time for an injury). So he might be interested in the USA; whether Jurgen reciprocates the sentiment we don’t know at this point.

• Guy #2 says:

Wow I just realized, Danny Williams is only 23, he will be fantastic for this team for the next two cycles, at least!

5. Justin says:

Oh, and I’m not sold on Boyd ever putting it together.

+ Corona, – Boyd (if he does put it together, – Johnson or Gomez).

PS, too many forwards. Klinnsman’s 4-3-3 is more of a 4-5-1, in that guys like Donovan and Gatt would be forwards, not central midfielders.

6. Justin says:

Hobo,

Williams and Edu are defensive midfielders, and unless Dempsey is going to play out wide, Bradley will play as a two-way or defensive midfielder. Moreover, Cameron can play the position at need. I don’t think we need any more development here, even though I think Jones is too good – and will still be too good – to be left home.

• HoboMike says:

Remember Klinsi has already said that he does not envision Bradley playing as a DM.

I should have said that I don’t believe we need another DM, especially if our CBs get better over the next two years, but I just think this is what he will do.

• Beto says:

Anyone who has watch MB play since the world cup knows he isnt a D-mid “6″! Klinnsy midfield is:

———-forwards————-
        ——————–7——– the playmaker: landon or zusi
        ——–8———————the holding mid : MB90, Jones
        ————–6—————the d-mid: Williams, Edu
        ——backline—————

• Beto says:

The thing about this lineup is you need FBs and wingers to cover the entire sidelines: fabian johnson, dolo, chandler, shea and gaat will be needed. Ej was good there but he is better at CF

• David JS says:

Hobo- When people say Jurgen has fielded 3 d-mid lineups, they often do count Bradley as a d-mid. Which goes to your original point.

• slimkid32 says:

I think the whole 3 mid formation complaints have gotten tiresome. IMO JK was putting his most reliable and experienced midfielders on the field, they just happened to be labeled d-mids. It makes no sense to play an inferior player just because he isn’t a d-mid. JK wants a free flowing type of football where positions tend to be a little less defined and players are asked to be able to play all over the field. It makes sense to ask this of your strongest players as the transformation to this new style is beginning. Just wanted to throw that comment out there. That being said I like betos breakdown of the ideal JK midfield.

7. The Squad says:

Wow..

Its a little early

No Jones??

Several guys could emerge between now and 2014

Several Bundesliga guys (John Anthony Brooks)

A few MLS guys. The entire recent Under-20 squad.

I know, a team needs time to gel. Guys need first team and international experience but man Josh Gatt is the only “new” prospect to make it?

Edu over Jones??

Interesting…

• DCP says:

If Jones was not committed to making it to the World Cup, I don’t think he would be accepting call-ups now. Prior to this cycle, he had never played for the US, so I don’t see him exposing himself to injury and a crazy travel schedule just to help out during qualification. Of course determination will only take him so far, but I have to believe that he will do everything in his power to be in Brazil…

• biff says:

+1 Even if Jones loses half a step in the next 20 months before the WC starts in June 2014, he will remain one our top midfielders.

• Ives Galarcep says:

So you think players from the U-20 team are going to be filling up the 2014 roster? Don’t hold your breath on that one. I’d put the over/under of current U-20s to make the Brazil roster at 0.5.

• slimkid32 says:

Agreed. JK most likely has a short list for 2014. The odds his short list gets longer are minimal at best.

• ex_sweeper says:

Ives – did you make a prediction for the 2010 World Cup in 2008? It would be fun to see how you did last cycle. I consulted the Wayback Machine, but alas, it did not crawl the site very often. My sense is, with the advanced age of much of our core team, there will be more new faces than we think on the final squad.

• Karl Schneider says:

I gotta agree with my boy Ives. I think Villareal, Luis Gil, John Anthony Brooks and Will Packwood are all intriguing prospects, but not for 2014. Of all of them Packwood with consistent time has the best chance.

8. Beto says:

So is it time to work Gonzalez in a Bocanegra out? The Russia friendly wont be the time because of the MLS playoffs, so do you just give him the january camp and start him during the HEX? 600 days but really only 10-15 real games until crunch time

• Ives Galarcep says:

There’s the HEX, there’s friendlies and the Gold Cup and 2014 friendlies. There are going to be a LOT of games to play. The Russia friendly alone isn’t going to make or break anybody’s chances.

• David JS says:

Zusi basically did the same thing in this round of qualifying (started important games without much previous USMNT experience). I think Jurgen would play Gonzalez in the Hex regardless of how many USMNT games he gets into between now and then if he thinks he’s the best choice. Klinsi isn’t afraid of following his intuition, that much we’ve learned.

9. Iggy says:

Where’s Kyle B? Just kidding dont think he should be there.

There’s always a surprise that’s hard to call early on, which I love.

Ives, with no Boca who do you have as captain?

• HoboMike says:

Bradley is the next obvious captain.

• biff says:

If Klinsmann named Bradley captain now he would risk extreme hard feelings if not outright mutiny from the veterans of the team who for years had to endure the previous dysfunctional father-coach/son-player situation. Do you really think Klinsmann would bypass guys like Donovan, Howard or Cherundolo to name MB captain? No way. Dream on.

• jon says:

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a Bradley father/son hater post. makes me nostalgic, sort of, not really.

• beachbum says:

what are you talking about now? endure the dysfunctional blah blah blah

man come on

• Elite Hunting says:

What dysfunctional situation are you referring to? That BB saw earlier than everyone else that MB was the USMNT’s best-player in waiting? Any dysfunction you are referring to was created by lunatic fans who wanted to see something that wasn’t there. Getting to be captain isn’t someone’s right and it isn’t earned by seniority. Don’t you understand that?

• Shawn says:

When I watched the USMNT @ Livestrong, MB was ‘already’ doing a lot of the “Captain’s” work. When Deuce apologized for getting the last touch on Bradley’s shot, MB told him he didn’t care who scored, that the team did.

He was communicating to keep Deuce and Williams in the game all night, and they were both listening.

So yeah, given that LD is feeling uncertain about his future, I dont’ see ‘anyone’ in the pool, other than Boca, who has the drive and commitment to the Nats MB does. Making him the next captain is eminently logical.

• GW says:

Should he regain his fitness and form, Donovan should be captain if Boca loses it.

It will shore up his motivation, should that be an issue, and Mikey will accept him as Captain.

LD remains the US player most likely to be capable of carry this team when the chipsare down.

• David JS says:

With Bocanegra out vs Mexico, Howard got the armband over Donovan. I would be surprised if Klinsi changed his mind between now and Brazil about that.

• Evan W says:

I agree mostly with what Biff said except I wouldn’t go as far to say there would be outright mutiny. Bradley does not have the best chemistry with some of the veteran players. Dempsey being the most obvious one. Inferior Hunting- Bradley our best player? Hes not even in the same class as Dempsey. Donovan, Cherundelo and Fabian Johnson are all better players for the US. Bradley has improved a lot in the last year but is still very overated, especially by posters on SBI.

• Dennis says:

biff has said some pretty decent things and some pretty dumb things, this tops the dumb list. Donavon does not have the commitment by his own admission, Howard is a keeper and generally someone in the middle of things is a better choice Cherundolo would be a good choice if he is still around. The nonsense about dysfunctional father-coach/son-player is over the top.
          I can only surmise that BB must have cut biff’s favorite player at some time.

• David JS says:

I think Howard could be an interim captain as Boca’s tenure in the team fades out, but ultimately Bradley is going to be the next guy for the longer term. Donovan and Cherundolo are guys who MAYBE will be in the picture at WC 2014 but definitely not beyond. Howard will probably take the armband if Bocanegra isn’t on the pitch up until and thru Brazil, with Bradley taking on that role going into the ’18 cycle forward.

• Sky says:

I’d bet the farm on it

10. Beto says:

No hope for freddy adu?! I can see him having a breakout year in 2013 and making the squad

• Mc says:

I was thinking the same thing, although there is no reason for Ives to list him. He has a VERY outside shot now, but I am pulling for him as well.

• Dennis says:

I’ve been waiting for Freddy to have a breakout year since he was on the US U-17 team with MB 7 or 8 years ago. It never happened. Of course, he is still young and I am still waiting. I don’t think you can blame the coaches, they see something that says he will not help their team win, no matter how impressive his flashes of brilliance are. That has been a constant since he played for DC United over 8 years ago.

11. Cory says:

Pontius will be on this team. Mark my words.

12. Dainja says:

Actually…spot on!! For real. I do think Holden will be back, and we’ll drop Gomez (if he’s not starting regularly now for Santos, I doubt he will be in a year and a half). My main comment though?? the photo of course. haha.

I love how Jones as the last guy in the top row is touching the end of the arm of Gomez, the last guy in the bottom row. Classy move by J.J. Bad to bring the whole team together!! and much as we make fun of the “Jozy doesn’t crouch in USMNT team photos”, i think this new trick to make sure the team is a linked chain of humanity is a brilliant new development in the history of UMSNT pre-game photos. haha.

13. OPMG says:

Ives alluded to this already, but if one of the forwards falls out of favor I would hope to see a more creative midfielder that could change things up. It seems that Klinsi is high on Joe Corona, I want to see him play more before I give him my approval (ha, my approval). I have a little man-crush on Stu Holden though, he was such a boss on the field before his injuries. I hope he makes a full comeback, he’s a guy that deserves it.

OPMG,

Why does Holden “deserve it”?

Because he’s a great guy? John Terry is an enormous jerk but has been a far more productive international than Holden ever was.

• David JS says:

GW,
        I think that’s what he means. From a karma point of view, he deserves it exactly because he’s a great guy and has had $hitty luck. Jeez since when is hoping for a nice guy to make a full comeback from a serious of awful and unlucky injuries such a bad thing? Chill out bro.

• GW says:

After all the BS about Davies “comeback” and how much he “deserved” to be at the World Cup I’m a little tired of such things.

The USMNT needs guys who can produce not feel good stories.

14. Kurt says:

Off-topic: ESPN and Fox apparently dropped out of EPL bidding.

15. g-dub says:

I’d bet on Joe Gyau to break out between now and 2014.

• Ives Galarcep says:

See, I agree that Gyau is a special talent, but he’s done NOTHING on the pro level yet to project him on the World Cup roster without making a MAJOR leap of faith. I’m not going to do that with this projection series. I’ll let others throw around lottery ticket-style picks. I know there will be a few young players in the mix, but will try to temper expectations on some younger players.

• Tim M. says:

St. Pauli has struggled generating chances this year from the flanks and joseph gyau is a talent like any other on that team. He’s gotten minutes twice in the last 3 games and he should see time again at Dresden.

If his progress continues at rate it is, he should be starting games come mid season for the Bucks and hopefully competeting for playing next year at Hoffenheim.

Depending on the form and progress of Gatt and Corona he could potentially be in the mix come ’14.

Purely Speculation, but come end of the season, we should have a better idea of whether Gyau will be on Klinsmans radar.

16. David says:

I know this will cause a ruckus, but how about Steven Lenhart? The “Lion King” has got some heart, skill and toughness. I feel deserves a look.

• ex_sweeper says:

He needs to lose the crazy bad boy persona to have a chance at that level. He is a very good target forward, and has much better foot and thinking skills than most give him credit for, but would be a yellow/red card magnet from international refs.

17. The Imperative Voice says:

The interesting question to me is whether we trend Old Klinsi or New Klinsi. The more or less attacking the formation and style is, would affect the appropriate player selections. Some would say that’s a “duh” but I think there would be more DMs and more hybrid forward-mid types if we trend defensive, and more attacking mids and pure forwards if we trend offensive. Still too general? I think midfielders might replace some of Jozy / EJ / Boyd, if we’re tilting more backwards. Don’t buy it? Look at the last callups.

I think we can do better than Sean Johnson at 3rd keeper, I’m not convinced he’s a better current option than Rimando, or a better long-term option than a player like Tally Hall. However, in terms of the established pecking order, it’s probably a safe choice.

I think as the World Cup nears Chandler will become motivated. I think the dearth of backline options will keep Boca viable unless he has a total breakdown. I’m not sure it bodes well for the team, but old and slow does not get pushed aside for young and slow. If he gets beat it’ll be by a dominant physical specimen, IMO.

• Tim M. says:

Canidacy for the 3rd GK spot in this order Sean Johnson, Tally Hall, Bill Hamid, Zac Macmath.

As far as Nick Rimando, he’s a fabulous keeper with great reflexes and position skills, but much like Kevin Hartman or Matt Reis at one time, the physical attributes needed that might make the difference on the int’ level aren’t there.

• GW says:

So you would rather trust an unproven underachiever rather than a proven over achiever?

If Howard and Guzan go down in the World Cup you’d rather trust Johnson or Hamid rather than Nick?

• Tim M. says:

By 2014, who knows how much those two will have grown. but rimando standing 5′ 10″, 200 pounds or so without great agility or speed is definitely a liability against top int’ opponents, IMO.

• GW says:

5’10″ is not ideal but goalkeeping is about a lot more than height and length.

Iker Casillas is generously listed at 6 feet. Fabian Barthez is 5’11″. Both have won World Cups. Are you going to tell me that one or two inches makes that much difference?

If his Nick did not know how to compensate for his comparative lack of height, how is it that he has been a stalwart for a very fine club like RSL?

This in a league that may feature more giant keepers than any other league.

Tim M.,

By the way, Hartman and Reis were both 6’1″.

Rather than physical attributes both of them had the same problems as Nick:

1.) Only one keeper plays at a time

2.) Friedel, Keller, Howard

18. 2tone says:

Not to bad as of right now. here is my 23. And I am projecting at least one U-20 prospect to make the squad. I am not projecting Lichaj until he either becomes a starter for Aston Villa or another team.
    I don’t see Klinsmann parting with Boca completely. I don’t think he will start, but I think his experince and wealth of knowledge will be a great asset to the team and the younger CB’s.

GK: Guzan, Sean Johnson, Howard
    Defense: Chandler, Dolo, Fabian, Castillo, Cameron, Brooks, Boca, Gonzo
    CM’S: Bradley, Jones, Holden, Edu
    AM’s: Donovan, Gatt, Pontius, Zusi
    FWDS: Deuce, EJ, Altidore, Gomez

I have Corona, Shea, and Boyd narrowly missing out. These three will be contributors for the 2018 team.

Why Brooks: because I think Klinsmann will start calling him up as soon as the Russia friendly, and because he will solidify himself as Hertha’s first choice Cb, and because Hertha and Brooks look to be headed right back up to the Bundesliga next season. Which means the USMNT would have a young talented CB starting in the Bundesliga going into the WC.

19. mikeandike says:

outisde of Italy’s 2006 team, younger team tend to do better than older ones in World Cup, so I’m leaning on youth more than current depth chart indiciates….my perfect world, everyone healthy, 2014 line up would be only 3 field players over 30…

Jozy-Dempsey
    Donovan-Holden-Bradley-Chandler
    FJ-Cameron-Gooch-Lichaj
    Howard

our wings would be a massive speed threat, with Lichaj, Chandler, FJ flying up and down and whatever’s left of Donovan… technical skilled, two-way players commanding midfield…an athletic, skilled passer in Cameron and a rock in Onyewu-ragdoll Goodson won’t do and Cameron is inexperienced enough in Int’l play, so Gooch provides some physical cover and experience…

rounding out with Guzan, third goalie; Castillo, Dolo, Boca, O. Gonzalez; F. Williams, Zusi, Shea, Edu; Boyd and a TBD speedy forward-no need for more target types…

20. Kurt says:

What about Jonathan Spector? Any way he finds his way back for 2014?

• solles says:

Would be surprised, he hasn’t been called at all yet by Klinsi IIRC.

• David JS says:

I know he was called in for the WCQ’s with Jamaica, and I think he’s been called in other times under Jurgen too. Don’t recall him being in the 18 much less getting gametime with Klinsi but he has been called. Don’t see him in Brazil in 2014 though.

21. Lost in Space says:

As much as I like Dolo and what he’s done for the national team, I just don’t see him keeping his level of play high enough to be on this squad come 2014. It’s my hope that Chandler really commits to the US and that he’ll replace Dolo.
    Not sold on Goodson being there either. His recient performances hav really made me question if he’ll be able to play the high pressure game that JK wants. While I don’t have an option for his replacement I just believe he’s too slow for the style.
    Midfield looks good…Strikers are still up for grabs. I don’t see Gomez lasting till 2014, and not yet sold on Johnson’s comeback.

22. boosted335 says:

Ives can you please explain what exactly Gonzalez does on the field that G.John doesn’t? and then again with Besler?

23. BK says:

I’m surprised Gooch isn’t even mentioned here. Yes, he’s not been able to stay healthy for long since his injury in 2009, and there’s no certainty he will, but if he regains form like he did for a few months with Sporting and can sustain it, he would still be one of our best CB’s–better than any of the up and comers posted on here the other day. He may be on his way already, making game day rosters on a champs league team. Late sub the other day against Milan.

• The Imperative Voice says:

He had a knee injury and has never looked the same since.

He was embarrassed by Byers from Antigua on their goal in the home game. Antigua.

If he wants to make the team he needs to move to another league that is more visible, and realistically we’re talking MLS or Mexico, play his tail off, and look good. Hit and miss play for Braga, even subbing in the CL, probably raises as many questions as it sells the guy. I also doubt it makes him super fit where if he does get a look he looks and plays sharp. The guy who got beat by Antigua looked out of shape, and he was never a burner to begin with.

• Tim M. says:

There’s hope yet for Gooch. He’s currently the 3rd option at CB for Malaga, but that could change in an instant for a team thats playing games in the Champions League and La Liga.

He’s made the bench 3 or 4 times and made an appearence at the tail end of the last game.

Demerit aint gonna happen and with Bocanegra’s decline, anything could happen IMO

• PD says:

He would be a dream come true for an MLS team like Philly.

• ex_sweeper says:

He’ll be 32 in 2014. Not ancient for a defender, but with Cherundolo at 35, Cameron 30, Parkhurst 29, Bocanegra 35, the lineup badly needs new blood. I looked over some of the WC 2010 lineups and among the top teams, the only central defender I could find over 30 was Carlos Puyol, who is immortal.

ex. sweeper,

The Eight Quarterfinalists in the 2010 World Cup were:

Germany – Argentina, Brazil –Holland, Uruguay – Ghana, Paraguay- Spain

Center backs and fullbacks

Defensive starters 30 or over in 2010.
        Germany – Friedrich, 31
        Argentina – Heinze 32
        Brazil – Lucio, 31, Juan, 30
        Holland – Mathijsen, 30, Van Bronckhorst 35
        Ghana- Sarpei, 33
        Paraguay- Veron, 30, Morel,32, Da Silva, 30
        Spain- Puyol, 31, Capdevila, 32

• solles says:

He’s not even really playing for Malaga, I think Gooch’s days with the Nats are probably just about done.

24. mike says:

Corona is great. But Adu would be better. Especially as a creative replacement.

• Tim M. says:

With Adu’s status up in the air as a Union player after this season, he’s really not in the picture right now.

He’ll have to have a hell of a 2013 season if he wants be back in the picture

25. Will says:

Ives-
    When does Zakuani expect to be eligible for USA. If he recovers and can continue his previous trajectory, do you see him in the mix for either 2014 or 2018. If this is way off base let me know.

• Guy #2 says:

On a similar note, is there any legitimate chance that Osvaldo Alonso would be eligible by WC?

• Shawn says:

It takes a special exemption from FIFA. Not just a 1-time switch either. Alonso played Gold Cup matches for Cuba. So he’s cap-tied forever.

The only out for him is FIFA has a rule that says if a player is disowned by his native country, he can apply for a new nation’s team. But that rule has, to my knowledge, never been used for defection in non-life threatening situations before. I think it ‘could’ apply, and I know that’s the route Alonso is trying. But I don’t know that it will.

26. Shane says:

With all due respect, we need to first see we have a coach capable of getting the US to 2014 before we start talking who gets to go. Remember the Olympic qualifying.

• away goals says:

That’s a reasonable standard. Just like there wasn’t one word written on this site about the 2010 world cup until after the clinching match in honduras.

27. The Imperative Voice says:

Howard / Guzan / Rimando
    Dolo / Lichaj / Chandler / Johnson / Edu / Cameron / Boca / Morales
    Jones / Bradley / Williams / Holden / Feilhaber / Corona / Gatt / Davis
    Donovan / Dempsey / Gomez / Boyd

• Tim M. says:

Chandler, Gooch, Holden, and Jones are all 50/50 to make it to 2014.

And Davis? Like Brad Davis?

• The Imperative Voice says:

Jones has basically one shot at it and shows no signs of slowing down.

Holden, that’s hopeful, but I’d rather be hopeful for him than start settling for Zusi or whoever instead. Holden could be the sort of winger or even CAM we need.

Chandler is superior and I think the likelihood of qualification will be motivational. But, again, hopeful. But I’d rather hope for quality than start throwing around mediocrity.

Didn’t say Gooch wouldn’t use him on a bet.

We have plenty of central players what we need is wingers. Davis is the technical type, can hit a deadball or a shot. I think he’s better at his niche than a lot of the flavors du jour. And I think on bench players you don’t want the next level of hustle, you want special qualities, speed, height, technique, something unique.

• Tim M. says:

Gooch, IMO would be a good veteran presence on the 2014 squad, if in fact Bocanegra doesn’t have it at that point.

Of course only if he finds his form. He’s never been the technical type, but has shown he can be dominant defender against the best teams.

Being at Malaga, baring and injury to a CB, he’s again in danger of riding the bench. Why he joined such a technical league, i have no idea. I’d of preferred him to join a physically demanding league, whose style plays to his strengths, such as in France or Germany,

As far as Brad Davis, I agree he’s a technical genius and set piece specialist, but i don’t know if he has the speed or strength to play at the international level, where he could be a liability defensively.

Jones, I would like to see on the roster, only because if we take Edu, Bradley, and Williams, Bradley is the only CM who can operate as a number 8. Edu brings versatility, yes, but he can’t spread the ball like Bradley, where as Jones has shown to be capable of doing at times. Sadly, Klinsy’s preference is the aforementioned 3 players.

Holden, I pray can return to his early Bolton form.

28. Mc says:

It’s funny, Ives has poll after poll about what his users want more of, and news about the USMNT wins by a large margin every time. They he starts posting daily about the USMNT, and people post comments like “Whaoh, way too soon” or “Ives, is this really news?”
    Come on people. This was to generate a discussion, not accurately predict who will be on the team.

• Mc says:

End rant. Great article.

• The Imperative Voice says:

In terms of prematurity, you’re always at some point in the cycle, ie, “it’s always 5 o’clock somewhere.” You’re either building towards the next one or in the process of qualifying or preparing for it. Since we’re passing on to a round of 6 from which 4 teams will likely eventually make it, yeah, ideal time to start looking at a final 23. [Though with Jamaica and Panama as the creme puffs this will not be a cake walk.]

With some of the selection / quality / age issues it’s also an interesting thought exercise. Who’s been overlooked, who might be ready in two years, etc.

29. PAQuaker says:

Projecting this far in advance is difficult at best, but if I were to try, I would focus on age: Most field players age 29+ will probably decline in the next 2 years, not improve. i.e. Gooch and Boca won’t be there and I’m not so sure about Dolo, especially if Chandler decides he “loves” the RW&B. As a RB, Dolo needs speed, and speed is probably the first thing that goes with age. Speed is also one of Donovan’s main assets, so…

30. Guy #2 says:

What do you think the chances of Adu making the squad are?

• Mc says:

Man, impossible to predict. How do you make your mark when you are not even consistently playing for the Union. It’s so frustrating, because we have all seen what he can do it big competitions. We all know his potential. Not qualifying for the U23 world cup really screwed him, and a few other players.

Part of me wants to believe most of his coaches, and recognize he may not be mentally fit for the national team. But most of me wants a wildcard like Freddy on the national team when we need the X factor.

• Shawn says:

I think Corona is more likely to provide that kind of factor right not than Adu is.

I get that people want someone who can do something special. But it’s not enough to have 1 moment of brilliance every 10 matches if you’re not present the rest of the match. And while Adu has had ‘some’ moments for the Nats. He’s hardly been consistently good for it, let alone indispensable.

Do you spend 1 spot out of 23 on the off chance he ‘might’ do something? Eh. I’d rather have someone that can do the little things right all match, then maybe you don’t have to rely on ‘magic.’

• GW says:

Potential means you haven’t done it yet.

When has Adu ever done anything significant for the US when it really mattered?

The Panama game in the last Gold Cup that’s it. And he really saved the US in the final didn’t he?

So far this notion that Adu can be an” X factor” for the senior team when the chips are down is a myth.

All sizzle and no steak as they say.

Zusi and for that matter EJ, have already done for more for the USMNT than Freddy ever did.

31. sir coble says:

Personally I can’t get enough of this stuff.

32. filfisher says:

I read this and let it sit for a while and now I’m depressed. This might be the worst roster I’ve seen since the Steve Sampson team in 98. If Donovan doesn’t make it then we’re in serious trouble unless a lot of this talent develops on a very steep learning curve. Guys like Edu (who IMO is incredibly overrated), Boca, Goodson and Castillo shouldn’t even be in the conversation. The fact that they are, to me, goes to show how little depth there is behind a few key players and how we’ve basically gone nowhere since Nike’s bold pledge to develop US Soccer and win a WC.

We need Donovan… badly. And Stu Holden – please find that old form!

• away goals says:

So you think this is the worst usmnt roster since 98, and your evidence is a bunch of guys who were already on the roster in 2010? Not sure how ives’ list could possibly be considered worse than 2010, a squad that wasn’t far off a quarterfinal berth.

Unloaded: bornstein, rico, findley, gooch (all 2010 starters ffs).

Upgrades: f johnson, d williams

Likely upgrades: zusi, cameron

• filfisher says:

Except that the best player to ever wear a Nats uniform, Landon Donovan, was in form and in the prime of his career. The rest of the guys you mention are journeyman. For every Fabian Johnson there’s a David Regis. For every Cameron there’s a Gregg Berhalter. None of them are anything more that decent players who you just hope are playing above their skillset by the time 2014 rolls around. IMO, hope is not a strategy.

• away goals says:

Still not sure what you’re on about here. Neither regis nor berhalter were on the roster in south africa.

I’m not comparing current guys to any usmnt player who has ever played in their position, I’m comparing them to our 2010 world cup starters.

Fjohnson and dwilliams are unequivocally better than bornstein and clark.

• Francois says:

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Danny Williams, Fabian Johnson, and Geoff Cameron would ALL start on that 2010 team and be amongst the BEST players on that squad. Dempsey is now in his prime, and Jozy is coming into his own. This 2014 projected roster is leaps and bounds above anything from 2010 and before that.

• Arty says:

We also only won 1 game in that wc. Course we only lost 1 too. Point is wc 2010 was all around weird and didn’t particularly have terrible performances or exceptional ones. Like always, we will have some exceptional mid level euro talent and then mls guys. Like most mug tier nations this is what we can look forward to for a long time to come. To win a wc we are going to have to pull a Greek style upset through tactics and organization.

• Hawkdaddy says:

I agree, this roster already looks better than 2010. Consider you’re replacing Gooch, who was inconsistent in 2010 with Cameron, a current starter in the EPL. Then you have a much improved Bradley, leading a midfield with Donovan and Williams. Finally, Dempsey continues to get better and you can partner him with a number of guys who have outperformed the 2010 Striker, Altidore, who is still available and ever improving. With the addition of young talent and guys returning healthy, the squad will only get deeper.

• Good Jeremy says:

Compare where our guys are playing. Those teams may have been coached better and Donovan + Beasley were underrated at that point, but looking at the careers of the guys we have now and for 2014, they are not even close. Remember when it was big news that Reyna played for Rangers, and then last year we had three players on Rangers and couldn’t wait for them to move on to bigger things?

• Judging Amy says:

I agree with your point, but the Reyna example doesn’t fit. The still proud Rangers Reyna played for is nothing like the disastrous Rangers incarnation Bedoya, Edu and Boca played for. And Reyna was one of our greatest Nats. A truly special talent well above Edu, Bedoya, and even Carlos.

• GW says:

Reyna’s Rangers team was a pretty awesome team. Research them sometime.

They would have demolished Edu’s Ranger teams easily.

33. Call Up Lichaj says:

Some fairly trustworthy USMNT fans have mentioned that Mixx said he might switch to Norway. I wasn’t able to turn up anything with a cursory glance on Google. Has anyone heard about this?

• 2tone says:

I haven’t heard anything about that either, but the USMNT is pretty deep at CM which is where Mix play’s at. I wouldn’t liek to see him leave the USMNT program, but hey if he thinks he would be better served to play for Norway then so be it.

• 2tone says:

Besides a late cameo against South Africa he hasn’t played all that well for the USMNT. He wasn’t very good during the 2011 January Camp with Bob Bradley, and he faded quite a bit during the Olympic qualification. Good player, but not exactly a world beater at CM.

• Hogatroge says:

Mix destroyed Mexico’s U23s in Dallas this past February. Most of those Mexican players went on to win gold at the Olympics.

He did indeed “fade” during Olympic qualification, but there were some serious coaching issues with that team.

He needs to be in the January camp at the latest.

We are not neck deep in attacking midfielders, or else we wouldn’t be playing Jones, Dempsey, and Edu out of position there.

• Shawn says:

I wouldn’t call Deuce out of position there. In fact, I’d say that’s pretty much his ideal position.

• Hogatroge says:

Deuce doesn’t create from that position as often as would be hoped. He brings very little defensively to the position, even though an AM’s defensive responsibilities are lighter than those at other MF positions

There are other players (granted with loads less international experience) who might fill that hole better and allow Clint to focus on the attack without creating a gap in the MF.

• Hogatroge says:

Mix certainly fits in that “other” players category.

• David JS says:

I’d say Clint is an attacking mid, but not a “creative” mid. He’s not a winger or a #9 or #10, he is a mid who likes to score more than provide service for the strikers.

• Hogatroge says:

• GW says:

There is very little evidence that Mix is capable of making the step up from a very weak league in Norway.

He got himself a move to Belgium and failed to impress. He may yet prove himself at a higher level but so far the evidence is not encouraging.

34. Chris Cappiello says:

Anything current on Ream?

35. Hawkdaddy says:

Am I the only one who thinks Parkhurst is the next replacement for Cherundolo? I not so sure he wouldn’t be a better option in 2012. Granted, I haven’t watched much of him until this year’s Champions League Matches but he has looked really good against two of the worlds best clubs. I thought He even did a decent job filling in at LB against Guatemala. If Cherundolo loses form, Parkhurst seems to offer some of the same characteristics and may even be a better passer. I’m just a little suprise nobody has really talked about him on here, but maybe I just haven’t seen enough of him. I would also like to continue to see Eddie Johnson on the squad so long as he plays the way he has been.

36. bizzy says:

There is going to be a lot of disappointments and surprises during the selection process for Brazil 2014
    With the up and coming players we have in the pipeline alot of people, especially veterans lose their spots.
    LB Justin Morrow, Seth Sinovic, Greg Garza(Tijuana)
    RB Beitashour, Parkurst, Timmy Chandler, Conner Lade, Chance Myers
    CB A.J.Soares, George John, John Anthony brooks(Hertha Berlin)
    DM Dax McCarty, Perry Kitchen, Beckerman
    RM Deleon, Danny Cruz
    CM Benny Feilhaber, Michael Farfan, Sacha Kljestan
    LM Chris Pontius, Benji Joya(Santos laguna), Corona, Lee Nyugen
    CAM Freddy Adu, Darlington Nagbe(gets citizenship next year), Luis Silva, Mikkel Diskerud
    F C.J. Sapong

There is going to be a lot of changes and new players getting through the door base on next season. Currently the USMNT is the “oldest” its ever been.

bizzy,

Your roster is very long on talent , skill , ability and potential.

It has no significant high level international experience ( except for Benny and just a bit from Sacha) .

It has no significant Champions league experience, the highest standard available.

It has no one who could be remotely considered a proven, legitimate high level defender or attacker. Hopefully that will change by 2014 but it is getting late.

• Hogatroge says:

Pretty sure he was just listing prospects at each position, GW.

• bizzy says:

Thanks Hogatroge

• GW says:

He called them “up and coming”.

I’m pointing out how far they have to come.

• bizzy says:

Pointing out how far the have come? How about half the team?
            None of these players on SBI’s roster has significant high level international experience to exceed Freddy Adu, Michael Parkhurst (on the best UEFA team this week!!!), Sasha Kjestan, Mikkel Diskerud, Timmy Chandler
            Defense:
            Omar Gonzalez, Clarence Goodson, Matt Besler, Eric Lichaj, Edgar Castillo
            Midfield:
            Graham Zusi, Josh Gatt, Brek Shea
            Forwards:
            Eddie Johnson, Herculez Gomez, Terrence Boyd

So who on that list could be remotely considered a proven, legitimate high level defender or attacker?

• GW says:

Donovan, Bradley, Dempsey Dolo and Howard are on SBI’s list aren’t they?

I will say that even our vets are pretty limited when it comes to experience at the highest levels. Adding a bunch of newbies does not help.

And if you think that kind of experience does not help you are a fool.

EJ and Zusi showed well but they played against Jamaica, A & B , and Guatemala, three teams even less intimidating than the US. Much bigger tests await.

On its best day, with everyone available and producing the US can beat anyone but putting several of those kinds of games for a run in a tournament is very diffficult for it.
              The lack of experience does not help. Donovan himself said so after the 2010 WC.

It takes more than talent and tactics to win.

• bizzy says:

GW listen to yourself:
                “I will say that even our vets are pretty limited when it comes to experience at the highest levels”…..hmmm, ok and this is what you said in your other comment above speaking about my line-up:
                “It has no significant high level international experience”
                …thats the point!!!!!! there is no significant high level international experience even on the current national team including the vets (according to you)so it shouldn’t matter how we pick as long as they have the best talent, skill , ability and potential to get the job done in that position!!!!! You made my point further by taking about Zusi and Eddie playing less intimidating teams!!!
                So my line up is limited yet according to you even our vets are limit……so why argue for argue sake….

• bizzy says:

….and by the way, I was talking about the names I wrote down not including howard, Donovan, and Dempsey

bizzy,

Your original list featured a bunch of unproven prospects and a couple of journeymen.

The prospects are talented but unproven and naïve when it comes to the international game.

The journeymen are, well, journeymen.

To some extent that is okay as long as you have a good core. Then you can use your guys can provide a frame of reference for the supporting cast. Hopefully one or two of the newbies and journeymen surprise you and raise their level.

The problem is the core has aged faster than everyone had hoped.

I’m really talking mostly about Dempsey and Donovan and actually mostly Donovan. He has been the foundation of this team for ten years. I believe everyone expected the dynamic duo would still be around for one last go around at the 2014 WC. But Donovan has been AWOL for JK’s tenure and the team has really struggled for offensive consistency and that eventually wears down your defensive consistency.

It’s become obvious that Dempsey, the best scorer of goals, can’t replace Donovan’s ability to create goal scoring opportunities for others. Clint just is not that kind of player.

JK recognizes all this which is why he has been so insistent on US players trying to raise their club level as much as possible and on trying to bring as many German Americans and Mexican league guys over as possible.

Based on your posts you seem to want to go American/MLS first when it comes to the World Cup. You make the same arguments some people in Brazil and Argentina do when they push for their national teams to feature more domestic league players.

Well if you look at history there is a reason why Brazil and Argentina‘s World cup squads almost always feature Euro player heavy teams. It’s because they are their best players and those guys want to win.
                Besides the talent, their Euro guys have been battle tested and are unlikely to get too bothered by anything that happens at a World Cup. You need everything, the skill, speed, talent as well as the experience and savvy, to succeed at the World Cup.

Look at Cameron. He has all the physical things you need and the skill. What he lacks is the experience and savvy that a centerback, especially needs. And that lack has been quite obvious.

Stoke is at least in the EPL but it is not a high level club and of course, Cameron, isn’t even playing center back for them. On the plus side, playing midfield will probably serve him well in the long run in that it will broaden his overall soccer IQ. And of course,it is unlikely that Shawcross, who is apparently is in high demand will stay much past the January window. So Cameron will probably get his shot at CB sooner rather than later.

The point is, because of the relative naivety and inexperience of the young MLS guys, they have to be integrated at a slower rate. All you have to do is look at the Under 23 elimination game.
                A more veteran team would have figured out how kill off that game once they had the goals they needed.

bizzy,

The journeymen are, well, journeymen.

The problem is the core has aged faster than everyone had hoped.

A more savvy, experienced veteran team would have figured out how kill off that game once they had the goals they needed.

• bizzy says:

Did Zusi have any high level international experience?? Did Eddie Johnson have significant Champions league experience?? Or Gomez before he was selected for the USMNT? Maybe Brek Shea or Josh Gatt?? None of these players have any HIGH level international experience or significant Champions league experience…..But they are on Klinsmanns radar, things will change by Brazil 2014….you are right about time though GW, that’s something we don’t have much of

37. Dan says:

A few posters are forgetting that the WC isn’t really that far off- only about 1.5 years

38. ThaDeuce says:

This is ridiculous. Why does everyone count out Spector? Is there inside the profession knowledge I don’t know? He is still in his twenties, playing at a high level, is extremely versatile, has lots of ood qualities at his three positions (d-mid, full back, center mid) and Iconsider him to be superb at right back! Lots of nats big game experience, and was formerly the heir apparent to Dolo. What gives???

• ThaDeuce says:

Distribution from all those positions is a quality he’s got. That is an important trait in the Klinsman era. And from right back his crosses are sublime. Seriously! Castillo > Spector? Come on!

• ThaDeuce says:

err uhhhhh “your comment is awaiting moderation.”?

• The Imperative Voice says:

Spector is too slow as a back and probably way down the pecking order at DM.

39. ThaDeuce says:

Pure ignorance question now- What about Ream and George John? Is Ream not projected to recover his good form? And seriously, what is happening with George John? Is he playing? I honestly don’t have a clue, but I do know a year ago he was signingwith Blackburn and was a
    most as promising as Geoff is now.

40. ThaDeuce says:

Uuuuuh, why are you all of the Sudden leaving Gordon off the Roster? Just kidding…. but he was awesome last game?

41. ThaDeuce says:

sorry, awesome last game! not last game?

42. Ed says:

Love seeing all the players from Sporting KC here. Besler and Zusi should make the team. Myers and Sapong are all long shots but the way they are playing they could player their way onto the team. Bunbury we will have to see how he come back from the knee injury.

Is Wandolowski not in the mix at all, he will be 31 at the time so I could see him not getting a chance.

43. ACS says:

Brooks and Wooten are starting and Gyau is starting to get more playing time in 2. Bundesliga so I wouldn’t count them out.

44. abc says:

One guy who is on the list and 100% WON’T be in Brazil (unless he’s having sex with strange women in hotel rooms): Eddie Johnson
    One guy who is not on the list and 85% WILL be in Brazil (with the US): Timmy Chandler

45. The Imperative Voice says:

FWIW, Ryan Guy and AJ delaGarza are apparently headed towards playing for Guam……

46. Turgid Jacobian says:

I think Jones continues as presumptive. He’s just so tough. I’d maybe also think twice about Gatt, though I enjoy him.

47. Mike says:

I think we will see something like this:

Howard – Guzan – Johnson (why not?)

Cherundolo – Lichaj – Cameron – Bocanegra – Edu – Gonzalez – Johnson – Parkhurst

Bradley – Williams – Zusi – Klestjan – Jones – Pontious

Donovan – Altidore – Dempsey – Shea – Gomez – Johnson

I see Bocanegra getting bumped out of his starting role but making the roster as a backup / veteran influence. Not sure about Cherundolo, I think he remains the starter, but if not he may stay on as a backup as well. Castillo is probably the better guess, but I just don’t get it. Lichaj should be the backup at both full back positions with Parkhurst as a utility man to cover anywhere in a pinch. Edu is probably in the same boat, one of the last names added in case of injuries in midfield or in the back. Like someone else mentioned, Klinsman’s version of a 4-3-3 includes people like Donovan, Shea, and Zusi as possibilities for the outside strikers, so I don’t think we’ll see 5 center forward types make this roster.

48. bradley thomas says:

18 -Freddy Adu
    19- Landon donovan
    20-Clint Dempsey
    21-Charles Davies
    22 Jozy Altidore
    23-Terrence Boyd

Mix of Experience and Young Talent ,soccer its a young man game . (Avg age 25)

49. PD says:

No Orozco-Fiscal?

50. chris_thebassplayer says:

Pure speculation, educated guesses, and wishful thinking: I don’t think we see Altidore, something about him just burns JK to no end. I’d like to see Morales and Brooks brought in to the January camp. My darkhorse U20 player to be on the bubble to make the roster is Pelosi. I don’t think Shea or Edu make it…Jones is incredibly streaky but still too good to leave off. I think we bring a true target forward who is great on crosses, might not be Gordon…who knows, maybe Sapong will get serious about his game. I’m not overly excited about the fullbacks listed with the exception of Johnson and potentially Chandler. I don’t think Castillo makes it and I have my doubts that Omar’s superior aerial game alone gets him to the WC. I think Corona is a key piece to the puzzle. Lastly, Stu just give us something to hang on to, a glimmer of hope, anything.

51. Brian says:

When the final roster is announced, please take a look back and compare it to this list. That would be interesting to see.

52. D in Philly says:

Really need some younger players called in this winter and next summer…
    Wild Card: Freddy Adu.
    Best case senario: Union trade him to Portland and Porter makes him shine. Works for the Union if they get allocation or a striker and Adu only seems to play his best under Porter.

And trust me, I’m not an Adu fan. I think he’s a flake. But this could work best for the Union, Timbers, and USA. Can you imagine if he is playing to his potential? (I know tired argument) Just saying.

53. juan says:

Good thing yur clueless Ives. Not going to bet upset by your picks

54. Derek says:

Really? Jones and Boca and Dolo are too old for 2014? Someone is living in a dreamworld. Jones is playing some the best soccer in his life for Schalke right now. Turn on a game lately? Boca in 2nd division Spain: not great, but really, not even making the team as a back-up? Same with Dolo. We must have an access of RBs and CBs who have played in the highest levels of football that I’m not aware of. This article avoids reality.