photo by Nick Turchiaro/ISIphotos.com
By FRANCO PANIZO
The majority of the Americans Abroad contingent that were in action during the middle of the week are surely looking forward to this weekend's action after mostly poor outings, but Steve Cherundolo is not one of those players.
Cherundo had arguably the most success from an individual and team standpoint during the midweek action, going the distance in Hannover 96's 2-1 comeback win over Levante in the Europa League on Thursday. The victory pushed Hannover into first place of Group L after two games, and should give the club some momentum heading into their weekend fixture.
Josh Gatt did not have as much of an impact in helping Molde FK's Europa League victory, but he did make a cameo appearance off the bench to make his first appearance for the club since suffering a hamstring injury early last month. Gatt came off the bench and played the final nine minutes of Molde's 2-0 triumph against VfB Stuttgart, a result that gave the Norwegian side its first points and the second place spot in Group E after two games.
Another youngster who saw time on the field was Hector Joya. The U.S. Under-20 men's national team midfielder received his first start as a professional in Santos Laguna's 2-1 victory over Atlas, adding the latest milestone to what have been a memorable few weeks for the 19-year-old Joya.
Here's how the Americans Abroad performed during the midweek action:
UEFA Champions League
- Sacha Kljestan came off the bench and played 45 minutes in RSC Anderlecht's 3-0 loss vs. Malaga on Wednesday.
- Jermaine Jones did not dress in Schalke 04's 2-2 draw vs. Montpellier on Wednesday. He is recovering from an ankle injury.
- Oguchi Onyewu did not dress in Malaga's 3-0 win vs. RSC Anderlecht on Wednesday.
- Michael Parkhurst started and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 4-0 loss vs. Chelsea on Tuesday.
UEFA Europa League
- Clint Dempsey started and played 66 minutes in Tottenham Hotspur's 1-1 draw vs. Panathinaikos on Thursday.
- Brad Friedel did not dress for Tottenham Hotspur.
- David Yelldell did not dress in Bayer Leverkusen's 1-0 win vs. Rosenborg BK on Thursday.
- Steve Cherundolo started and played 90 minutes in Hannover 96's 2-1 win vs. Levante on Thursday.
- Alejandro Bedoya started and played 41 minutes in Helsingborgs IF's 2-2 draw vs. Twente Enschede on Thursday.
- Terrence Boyd did not dress in Rapid Vienna's 2-0 loss vs. FC Metalist Kharkiv on Thursday.
- Mix Diskerud did not dress in Rosenborg BK's 1-0 loss vs. Bayer Leverkusen on Thursday. He is recovering from a hip injury.
- Josh Gatt came off the bench and played nine minutes in Molde FK's 2-0 win vs. VfB Stuttgart on Thursday.
- Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in Birmingham City's 2-1 loss vs. Cardiff City on Tuesday.
- Will Packwood started and played 52 minutes for Birmingham City.
- Tim Ream dressed but did not play in Bolton Wanderers' 2-2 draw vs. Leeds United on Tuesday.
- Stuart Holden did not dress for Bolton Wanderers. He is recovering from a knee injury.
- Conor Doyle did not dress in Derby County's 2-2 draw vs. Middlesbrough on Wednesday.
- Zak Whitbread dressed but did not play in Leicester City's 2-0 win vs. Huddersfield Town on Tuesday.
- Mike Grella came off the bench and played eight minutes in Scunthorpe United's 3-1 loss vs. Tranmere Rovers on Tuesday.
- Robbie Rogers did not dress in Stevenage's 2-1 win vs. Notts County on Tuesday. He is recovering from a hamstring injury.
- Jonathan Bornstein did not dress in Tigres UANL's 2-1 loss vs. Chivas de Guadalajara on Tuesday.
- Michael Orozco Fiscal dressed but did not play in San Luis' 2-1 loss vs. Club America on Tuesday.
- Ventura Alvarado did not dress in Club America's 2-1 win vs. San Luis on Tuesday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress in Puebla's 2-0 win vs. Pachuca on Wednesday.
- Jose Torres started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Pachuca's 2-0 loss vs. Puebla on Wednesday.
- Herculez Gomez dressed but did not play in Santos Laguna's 2-1 win vs. Atlas on Wednesday.
- Hector Joya started and played 45 minutes for Santos Laguna.
- Edgar Castillo started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Club Tijuana's 1-1 draw vs. Monterrey on Wednesday.
- Joe Corona started and played 55 minutes for Club Tijuana.
- Greg Garza did not dress for Club Tijuana.
What did you think of Cherundolo and Hannover's comeback win? Expecting Gatt to play again this weekend on such a short turnaround? Are you becoming more impressed with Joya?
Share your thoughts below.