Americans Abroad Spotlight: Chandler still open to USMNT despite club focus

Timmy Chandler Nurnberg (FCN)

Photo courtesy of FC Nurnberg

By FRANCO PANIZO

It has been almost a year since Timmy Chandler last played for the U.S. men's national team and although he has turned down a number of recent call-ups due to injuries or fatigue, the talented youngster insists he is still open to representing the United States in the near future.

Despite not suiting up for the U.S. team since last November's friendly win over Slovenia, and even with him rejecting cap-tying matches throughout the year, Chandler insists he is still interested in playing for the United States. The 22-year-old right back maintains that FC Nurnberg are currently his first priority, but he is not opposed to getting called into thenext USMNT camp, which will take place next month ahead of two cap-tying World Cup qualifiers against Guatemala and Antigua & Barbuda.

"I'm still happy to play for the U.S. national team but right now I want to commit 100 percent to Nurnberg and stay here with the team during this time," Chandler told SBI through a translator. "But in October and until the rest of the year there are enough games for the national team and if [U.S. head coach Jurgen Klinsmann] still wants to invite me, there's still an opportunity I'll play."

Chandler admitted that he does stay in contact with Klinsmann on a regular basis and he also said the two talked in the days leading up to the U.S. team's September camp. Chandler did not go in detail about was discussed, nor if the conversation was about a call-up or just as a means to keep a line of communication open between the two.

Why then has he been so reluctant to play for the United States?

Chandler explains that part of the reason is due to his commitment to Nurnberg, the club that gave him his first chance as a professional, but he also does not shy away from his dislike of the heavy travel that typically comes with playing for the U.S. team.

"It's always a great experience to see other cities and play for the U.S. national team," said Chandler. "The only thing I don't like about it is the traveling."

"That is a part of it and I use the example of the (recent) Mexico game. For four days I would have had to travel to Mexico and back, right when the season started here, so yes that is part of it."

Regardless of his reasoning (Chandler cited the need for rest either before or in the aftermath of both instances), American fans are, by all accounts, unhappy with the fullback's apparent lack of commitment to the U.S. jersey. Chandler is equally not pleased with their discontentment, but he believes there is not much that can be done about that situation right now.

"Obviously, I'm not happy if they think like this," said Chandler. "But they're not in my head, they don't know how I feel about it, so there's not much I can do about it."

Chandler also downplayed the notion that he has spoken to or is waiting to hear from the German National team, though he stopped short of saying unequivocally that he would never play for Germany.

"There has still been no contact from the German federation," said Chandler. "I've always spoken openly about everything with Klinsmann. The only thing is that I want to concentrate on Nurnberg right now."

In terms of World Cup aspirations, Chandler does want to play in the 2014 competition in Brazil. It would be the latest career accomplishment for him should he get there, but Chandler knows it is not completely in his hands, even if he says he is still 'totally open to playing for the United States.'

"I am thinking about (the World Cup), but I just want to see how the next few weeks and months go along," said Chandler, "and if Klinsmann still wants to invite me, we'll see about that."

Aside from his international standing, Chandler is also in the midst of another season with Nurnberg. He reportedly received interest from VfB Stuttgart earlier this year, but opted to re-sign with Nurnberg this past spring on a deal that runs through 2015 to demonstrate his loyalty to them.

"I wanted to show that Nurnberg is one of the bigger teams of the Bundesliga and it was a decision of the heart," said Chandler. "I wanted to show Nurnberg that I'm thankful for what I've achieved in my time with the team so far."

The current season got off to a poor start for Nurnberg and Chandler, as they suffered a shocking 3-2 extra time loss to fourth division club Havelse in the first round of DFB Pokal. It was a wake-up call for Chandler and his club, and they responded by grabbing two key results.

Nurnberg began the Bundesliga campaign by first beating Hamburg SV, 1-0, and they proceeded to tie with defending champions Borussia Dortmund, 1-1.

"We started well with four points against good teams in Hamburg and Dortmund and we want to gain 40 points that will keep us in the league as soon as we can," said Chandler. "We will try to keep going the way we started (the league)."

Playing in the Bundesliga does not just give Chandler a chance to get consistent minutes for the club he thinks so fondly of. It also gives him a chance to talk to fellow German-Americans such as Jermaine Jones, Fabian Johnson and Danny Williams about how the U.S. team is doing.

"I still am in contact with all of them, texting on the phone, when we meet in league games," said Chandler. "That doesn't depend on me being invited to the national team or being there. We're in contact and yes we talk about the U.S. team as well when they do."

Chandler's relationships with his U.S. teammates, and his professed affection for playing for the United States suggests that Chandler is a player who plans on being a U.S. men's national team fixture for years to come. That still isn't likely to ease fears that Chandler is secretly holding out to play for Germany.

The only thing that will ease those fears and re-establish Chandler as a future U.S. star is if and when Chandler plays in a World Cup qualifier, which would tie him to the U.S. team permanently. His next chance, and perhaps his last chance, to do that will come in October.

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, Americans Abroad Spotlight, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

138 Responses to Americans Abroad Spotlight: Chandler still open to USMNT despite club focus

1. somedude says:

IF he wanted to be in contention for Germany he would’ve gone to Stuttgart. He didn’t make the move.

2. Kevin_Amold says:

Stop teasing, Timothy. Until you come back, I don’t believe you.

Wake me up when he’s cap-tied.

3. andy says:

Good info, Franco. Thanks

4. CR says:

If it upsets him that the US fans don’t trust him, then maybe he should do something to change that instead of leaving us high and dry anytime the game matters?

5. Der Kommisar says:

“Chandler told SBI through a translator.”

Have we now figured out who Preston Zimmerman was referencing on his twitter tirade? The guy who his friend tried to talk to in the airport after a match that couldn’t speak English?

6. Cyrus says:

through a translator? He may have just wanted to properly articulate his thoughts, but it’d be nice if his English was at least conversational. Fabian Johnson’s English has improved greatly since his start with the US.

7. William the Terror says:

Screw this guy. Let him play for the Solomon Islands or Tierra del Fuego.

8. Andy says:

I think he’ll accept the call up and be cap-tied at the next opportunity. As he said, he hasn’t been in contact with the German Federation, and he has aspirations to play in a World Cup.

I know that, as Americans, it’s hard to want a guy who isn’t fully loyal to the stars and stripes and would prefer Germany if it was possible, but he would be a huge addition to the team and it would be a coup for us to cap-tie him soon. He’s too talented to pass up on.

I would love for him to be like Terrence Boyd, though, who has German roots, but absolutely loves the US and is always talking about how committed he is to the team.

9. Andy says:

Haha good thinking. It still could have been D-will or Fabian Johnson, though, who are pretty shaky as well. FJ has gotten a lot better though I think.

10. Freddie Footballer says:

Even if he’s cap-tied, he’ll still probably be flaky in his appearances with us and wait until he feels like it or when the World Cup approaches. He’s a pretty immature guy, judging by his quotes.

11. patrick says:

There’s just so much I don’t like/distrust about this entire situation. The fact that he keeps saying he’s “open to playing for the US” is an interesting one. To me, that sounds like he hasn’t committed to playing for the US, despite his attempts at convincing us otherwise. Th His excuses have ranged from “i need rest” to “my club wont let me” but never once has he said that he just wasn’t that into us, which is the vibe I’m getting when he continually says hes “open” to playing for the US. The comments in this article suggest that in his mind, he’s still not sure about where his allegiances lie. This could be an issue of semantics, I know English isn’t his first language, but it’s curious, I wonder if Franco can shed some light?

Call me when he’s cap tied.

12. Jack says:

Honestly, sounds like he’s been trying to leverage Germany before settling for less. I think Chandler knows regular minutes as an international would raise his profile regardless of what team he’s playing for, but his angling bothers me to no end. This isn’t an attitude I think should be encouraged.

13. Ben says:

Maybe, just maybe, he really is one of those homebody who hates to travel. It is more believable since he stayed at Nuremburg.

14. bcoug says:

Done with him.

I don’t wish him ill or deny that he has a right to do what he feels is in his best interest, but the USMNT’s focus needs to be on players who are on-board and dedicated to this team and not someone still wavering in their commitment after all the energy spent on him.

After his past history, “open to being cap-tied” is code for more string along to see what Germany does.

If he was real game-changing quality I might think differently, but its not like we’d be missing out on the next Beckenbauer.

15. Kevin_Amold says:

Ok, I just re-read what I wrote, and I think it was too harsh. It’s just hard to take this too seriously until there’s some evidence that he wants to play for the US other than just the occasional story that comes out saying that he still is open to playing for the US.

I’m with him on hating travel.

16. Andrew says:

Not interested anymore Timmy! The ship has sailed and you were not on it ! No heart… Not on MY team!

17. YO says:

The next excuse is that there is no way he is going to miss Oktoberfest.

18. NE Matt says:

Tony Cornhauser (spell check) quit the Monday Night Football commentating crew because he hated/feared traveling. It could be totally feasible that Timmy just flat out hates to travel. With that said, if he wants to have his cake and eat it too (play in Brazil come 2014), he has to put on his big boy pants and man up.

19. ben says:

I agree. I don’t think getting him cap tied is even that big of an issue here, as it doesn’t sound like playing for Germany is ever going to be likely. The big concern is his commitment to showing up for camps consistently and becoming a real part of the team. If he wants to focus on his club, whatever, I get that, but I’m sure Klinsmann will need to be sure that if he starts playing for the US, he can be counted on to not duck out bc of travel or whatever. Who cares if he’s cap tied if he’s missing every other camp?

20. EllisCarver says:

I think some of you are far too hard on the kid.

It’s clear he has some kind of more-than-normal attachment to his club Nurnburg, since he turned down a move to Stuttgart that might’ve garnered some attention from Germany. At least it sounds like he’s set a deadline in the article. If he hasn’t been called up by the end of the year, we can probably forget about him.

21. cj says:

Let’s be honest. If any of us arm chair strikers had the chance to possibly play for Germany and the US would we not keep our options open? Especially if our ties were to the German nation? Yeah, we have a bunch of others who had the same choice but each have their reasons to do what they want. If he is cap tied in Oct and he helps beat Mexico twice next year all will be forgotten and forgiven.

Do I trust him right now no, but I cannot hold it against him at same time. I would rather have a guy on the team who has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove than a guy who is questioning if something better could have been. I read all the time how players in the western hemisphere all complain about one game trips, especially before the start of the season. I can understand that. But would have been nice to see him this week, would love to see him and Johnson on the wings of the back line.

22. TheFrenchOne says:

“i’m still happy to play for the US national team, assuming germany undergoes a nuclear meltdown or charlemagne returns to rebuild the carolingian empire …”

23. DeLarge says:

Jesus Navas doesn’t play for Spain that often because he hates to travel. There are some other players that are simply afraid of flying for fear of death. This is totally understandable. Timmy seems to me like a homebody who loves playing the game but is content playing on the high (enough) level he’s on right now. I almost can’t blame him. I COULD however, if he decided to play for Germany, because then it would all be posturing.

24. Shane says:

Yes Timmy we arent in your head, we dont know how you feel. However, we do know how the other guys who play in Europe feel when they show up to play for the USA. They obviously feel strongly enough about representing us that they are willing to suck it up when it comes to the travel. Actions speak louder than your words, which I no longer wish to hear.

If Klinsmann calls him again I will be so annoyed. If they have any thoughts about letting other players do the dirty work in CONCACAF qualifying and then calling in Timmy for the WC (if we manage to qualify) I will be more than annoyed.

25. Jared says:

Kornheiser was up front about that the whole time though. He didn’t hide behind things like commitment to club. If Chandler really doesn’t like to travel/ has homesickness then just admit it. Wasn’t it Jesus Navas for Sevilla/Spain that had major issues playing for Spain because of that for a long time?

I don’t like the idea of him jerking the team around for the next year and a half then swooping in for the World Cup. That would definitely create issues with chemistry because of someone getting the bump for him.

26. Ross says:

We can all say we are done with him but it’s not up to us. It’s up to Klinsman. We don’t know the conversations the two of them are having.
    I guarantee if he is called in for and shows up for the next qualifiers everyone here will be singing his praises and penciling him in as a starter. Lol

27. Rees says:

I take the guy at his word – that he hates travel and he wants to focus on his club career. Even if you insist on assuming that he’s holding out for Germany, it still doesn’t bother me much – the guy is entitled to play for whatever country he wants. I completely understand if he wants to play for the country he was born and raised in – I would too. If it doesn’t pan out, then I’d be happy to welcome him back into the US picture. He’s American, but he’s German, too. Cut the guy some slack.

28. Ross says:

You might be annoyed but you’ll pencil him in as a starter. Lol
    Just like me.

29. Tim says:

As a fan, I’m not ready to say screw him. Still, it’s troubling. He’s either trying to play for Germany, or he’s not very excited about playing for us. I think the latter is more worrisome.

I’m convinced this is about trying to play for Germany. It just doesn’t add up. Yes, the travel is difficult, but if he really wanted to play in the WC for the US, he would be with us in Kingston. There’s a reason he keeps turning down call ups for official matches like Gold Cup ’11.

30. patrick says:

Couple things 1) He plays in the bundesliga, so he’s going to be traveling a lot regardless. 2) The US hasn’t gotten further away from Germany since he first played with the US. Why is this only coming up now? I’ll tell you why. Because it’s another excuse similar to “my club didn’t want me to” or “I’m tired”.

31. Darwin says:

Sometimes I wish Torres and Dempsey had a translator…Texans…I guess that includes me too.

32. kurgen99 says:

I’m not going to hold my breath or lose any sleep over one guy who’s last name isn’t Dempsey.

33. Adam says:

To me it reads “I really want to play in the World Cup and if my only option is the USA then i suppose that will have to do.”

34. patrick says:

the frustration and anger with chandler doesn’t necessarily come because he wants to wait for a Germany call up, it’s because he’s not being truthful. If he came out and said “I appreciate the offers, I’d like to play for Germany, and until that isn’t an option, I’m going to wait to cap tie myself” People would be dissappointed, but they would understand. But what he is doing is leading people on while trying to play the victim

35. Brian says:

Danny’s English is not bad:
    link to youtu.be

Fabian’s English, to my knowledge has always been pretty good. Jermaine’s English has improved a lot. I’d probably say that Fabian and Boyd speak it the best.

Most likely Zimmerman was referencing Chandler

36. Old School says:

There’s one room for one Tiiiiiiiiiiiimy.

Wheel yourself back to Germany, Chandler.

37. Powderhorn Pops says:

I saw this headline and immediately my middle finger went up. Just sayin…

38. Roger Allaway says:

I have no problem with him refusing callups for qualifiers. It’s his life. He can do with it what he wants. My problem is with seeing him continue to play for us in friendlies at the same time. I’d prefer that we used players in friendlies who we can count on to be there in qualifiers and other competitive games.

39. HoboMike says:

It wasn’t too harsh at all.

40. Vic El Paso texas says:

He looks like start trek- he is filming new episodes

41. bryan says:

i think he hit some crucial turbulence last time he was on a plane to the USA and not he is scared!

but in all seriousness, some of you are being a little ridiculous. he took the time to talk to SBI to at least shed some light onto the situation. i think the fact he has yet to hear from Germany and his love for his club are clear signs he wants to play for the US. i agree it is kind of annoying he keeps putting it off, but it sounds like he is ready to get the call and cap tie himself to the US next month.

but maybe he is just lying. we’ll see when we see.

42. TomG says:

I can understand his position. Clearly he would prefer to play for Germany: it’s his homeland, where he grew up, where he currently resides, and where he works. I’m sure most of his friends and family are German. In addition, he’d have a better chance of winning a World Cup with Germany.

He also wants to keep his options open with the USA because he does have family ties here and we do tend to play in the World Cup every year. Guys like Boyd, Johnson and Williams may have grown up in households that celebrated their American heritage more or maybe they just get a kick out of exploring that aspect of their family history. They seem much more comfortable and committed, but I can’t blame Chandler for wanting to keep his options open.

43. who said says:

Very non-committal, he’d make a good politician.

44. Revolt says:

I am totally over Timothy Chandler. Best wishes to him in the future, but let’s stop talking about him and MNT. Please!!

45. Eric says:

Very well put.

I actually think it would be easier on a lot of US fans if Timmy were to come out and say, “I don’t want to play for the USMNT” because it would put the issue to rest and not cause the resentment of seeing players who aren’t 100% on board getting minutes with the MNT.

Timmy has every right to play for whoever he wants, but it would be nice if he showed his international side some of the same commitment that he is showing his club side. If he isn’t willing to do that, that’s fine, but he should just say so instead of giving the fans the runaround.

46. Felix says:

I’ll believe it when it happens – until then whether its about demonstrating his loyalty to his club or holding out for Germany, his heart is not in it for the USA.
    Regardless, if he does decide to commit and play for us, it would be great and give us some added depth and a capable replacement for the day ‘Dolo retires.

47. TGA says:

ok we have one group complaining about all the dual nationals on USMNT and another group grumbling about a dual national not committing…to USMNT…

which is it?

and gee why would Tim Chandler be excited about playing for the USA? We just got knocked out of the Olympics by those hockey pucks in Canada. We are ranked 33rd in the world…ranked behind such dominant global giants as, Mali and Bosnia…

Give Tim a break….

48. jb says:

haha, if he or anyone said that, they would be crucified by media all around the world. he would never play for any country.

49. JpJ says:

“Your” team? Good one. Not sure I saw when you got the call.

50. Vic says:

When Chandler was first called he was just starting to make a name for himself at Nurnberg. He probably didn’t think a German call-up would be possible. Since then he has since established himself a very good right back and figures a German call-up is possible(which is probably his first choice). I don’t think he will wait forever for a German call-up. If it doesn’t happen in the next year or two then I think he will commit to the US.

51. away goals says:

I’m keeping a candle lit until he’s officially cap tied for germany.

52. Diego A says:

The fact that he’s not willing to fly across the pond shows me he doesn’t give a crap..dude F this guy, move on from him..he doesn’t contribute any type of cutting edge talent to make it worth while…this POS doesn’t realize how many players at his level that are americans would kill for the opportunity. invest in Chris Pontius rather than this Dbag who’s just F****ng Around w Us.

53. jb says:

I’m going to withhold judgment until after we know him better. If his reluctance has to do with the air travel, then I can honestly relate somewhat. But here’s the thing, if I had a chance to represent my country I love playing the sport I love, then I’m gonna find a way to deal with my fears of flying. Meditate, medicate, whatever. And I’ve done this for lesser opportunities, it can be done. It’s hard to deny that he doesn’t seem to have any commitment to the US team. I’m a forgiving person, so if he has a change of heart in October, then I’m all for bringing him in. But if he’s going to be anything less than 100% committed, I hope Klinnsman passes on him for good.

54. Amazonmatt says:

It isn’t like he’s in a middle seat by the back lavatory, right?

I mean these guys go business class or better, right? I have to fly internationally for work, and I occasionally get bumped up. When you are in the “front of the bus” it isn’t really that big of a deal at all…this is an excuse.

55. Bata says:

Chandler speaks English, though it’s a bit halting. If Zimmerman was referring to Chandler, he was just wrong.

However, there’s no question Chandler is far more comfortable in German, though, and I’m guessing he preferred to express himself in his native tongue for the interview.

56. patrick says:

not at all, no. This isnt a giuseppe rossi case here he didn’t grow up in the US, this guy was born and raised in Germany. Any logical rational person would understand his position, but now it’s gone too far, and he’s caught up in a bunch of half truths and misrepresentations that he can’t undo or take back

57. Michael F. SBI Mafia Original says:

No matter how good he is I just don’t trust him. I bet his teammates will have a tough time doing so as well. Which make me wonder why Klinsi keeps pursuing him. We can win the World Cup without him. Yes, seriously.

58. QuakerOtis says:

I won’t worry about him doning a US jersey, but if he does, great. We could use him, but we don’t neeeeed him, especially if he’s not committed.

And I understand his reservations. I mean, come on, he was born and raised in Germany, a team that is still way better than the US.

Of course he’s holding out. He’s a promising young player. Why wouldn’t he? Why disparage his desire to play fast, exciting, efficient top-level football for Germany, the country of his birth? With Germany as a potential option, why should he desire a weekend trip to Guatemala, where he can get punched in the gut for 90 minutes with no call before flying back for a mid-week BLiga match?

In any event, if we are going to benefit from dual citizenship, we have to be willing to see a few Chandlers leave for every Boyd that stays.

Not sure what the controversey is… 3…2…1…

59. patrick says:

please read Jeff Carlisle’s piece on Boyd that was published today. Boyd’s father (the american) abandoned his family when he was a baby, and hasn’t seen him since. He used an aunt as a go between to get his signature on his passport forms. Same with Sydney Leroux

60. Yoko Ono says:

haha history

61. Vic says:

You don’t sound like a die-hard fan that doesn’t understand the real world. What’s wrong with you?

62. Chris H says:

1) The entire country of Germany is smaller is square mileage than the state of Montana and Nurnberg is almost dead center. The most distance he ever has to travel is probably to Hamburg, and that trip is shorter than driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles.
    2) That may be true, but having lived in Germany his whole life, odds are he hasn’t been on very many lengthy trips (see #1). He might not have even have realized how little he likes travel until he started playing for the USMNT

Are they still possibly excuses? Yes. Do I wish he would just really show commitment at the privelege of representing the US? Yes. But please don’t state your assumption as his reality.

63. The Imperative Voice says:

I’ve said before that I hoped we offered him an “Altidore deal,” you know, show up right before the qualifiers and we’ll try and play you, but we saw how that worked out.

But, I think the kid needs to get it through his thick, franken-skull that the USA does not qualify through UEFA and never will. We may schedule some friendlies in Europe to be nice but THE JOB inherently involves Americas travel. If he’s not up for that, hit the road. Of course, if he puts up with it, he gets a fairly sure starting spot and consistent World Cup qualification since 1990.

The irony to me of his stance is that it draws out the length of time the USA has to play meaningful games each round of qualifying. If he’d shown up maybe we could have sewn up this round in 3-4 games. Two trips at most. We might still get there with 2 wins against Jamaica, but by skipping he increases the likelihood that we go to the last two games needing some result, which necessitates serious callups as opposed to Camp Cupcake.

So, to me, it’s like, show up, do your job, and if we win like we should, we let you put up your feet til the hex, we won’t call you in for January camp, etc.

64. jb says:

yeah i know what you’re saying. its hard for me not to feel a little bad for him though: just as he gets his feet under him for a solid pro career, he’s thrown into the international game that he doesnt seem to be mentally ready for, and has to deal with a language barrier.

What he needs to do and how he fixes his “misrepresentation problems” is simple. Either accept (if he gets one) the call-up in October and commit fully to the US, or politely decline for good.

65. cj says:

Perhaps Dolo it is not like he has been in Germany for the past decade.

66. USMNT fan says:

After reading the story my opinion on this matter is that he will try to hold out as long as he can. So that when we qualify he can just swoop in and play in the World Cup without having had to go thru the grind of qualifying. I think klinnsman should call him up 1 last time in October and if he refuses we should no longer consider him. Just my two cents. Give him one more opportunity and if not we can say we tried but he didn’t want to play for us and we move on.

67. MidWest Ref says:

Kevin – your first post was spot on. Chandler will be “exhausted” until early 2014. If Germany doesn’t cap him before then, he will indicate that he is more than ready to play for the US.

I can’t blame him for keeping his options open. If he gets called to play for Germany – he has a real chance of being a World Cup champion. But he shouldn’t complain that we fans are upset with him.

Chandler is our new Dave Regis!

68. MidWest Ref says:

Andrew – the USMNT is “MY” team too.

JpJ – I read your post as being snarky because Andrew isn’t a player on the USMNT.

Are you an American? If so, the USMNT is “Your” team too.

Get with the program.

69. MidWest Ref says:

Yep

He can have that option, but he cannot be concerned that we as the USMNT fans are not happy with it.

70. 2tone says:

My guess. He is still waiting for a Germany call-up, and I don’t begrudge that. Him making comments about possibly playing in October is the same comments he made when he declined the Mexico call-up. He stated then that he would probably accept the next call-up in Spetember. It’s simple people he is stringing it out to see if Germany will call him up. But lets not be stupid here. If he does finally decide to play for the USMNT then all of us USMNT supporters will automatically put him into the starting line-up. You are kidding yourself if you say you won’t.

71. MidWest Ref says:

IV – Your post is sound, but its basis is flawed.

Travel is an excuse for Tim Chandler to hold out hope to be called up for the Germany team. Altidore was truly fighting for his position on his club team, not whether he wanted to play for the US or not.

Tangent, if the US was in UEFA, would we be a Pot 2 or a Pot 3 seeded team for the qualification draws?

72. Goalscorer24 says:

If he can’t help us during qualifying he should not be “able” to help us during the world cup.

73. MidWest Ref says:

I agree.

74. QuakerOtis says:

Lol. I try to use my heart and brain together, at the same time.

75. Nate Dollars says:

don’t know if you’re expecting an answer to your first question, but for your second:

Some of us think that playing for your national team has more to do with representing your country than the chance of success in international tournaments.

76. TomG says:

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I know Williams was tearing up during the National Anthem in his first outing. It’s impossible to predict how these folks with different national backgrounds will view their heritage. Everyone looks at it differently it seems.

77. TomG says:

Just read it – really interesting. I’d highly recommend it. Thanks Patrick.

78. First time poster says:

I think most people are missing the point of the “travel excuse”. I doubt that he has a fear of flying or that he is some sort of “homebody”, though I could be mistaken. I suspect his comment regarding excessive travel is in the context of travel fatigue and potential for consequential injury. He stated that four days travel would have been necessary to play the friendly in Azteca. This is reasonable in my opinion (at least for a friendly). Of course one would argue that most other European based players do suck it up. Furthermore, he stated he enjoys seeing new cities, so I doubt he is a homebody.

For me his story is plausible, and I still give him the benefit of doubt. Some say he is being immature and that maybe true, though I doubt it. Put yourself in his shoes and think big picture. Perhaps he is showing maturity beyond his years as he weighs this decision (and the timing thereof) very carefully. I for one expect him to be a Nat by the beginning of the hexagonal. If not by then he will likely not be playing in Brazil.

I have been lurking here for three years and enjoy this site immensely. Thanks for hearing out my opinion.

Cheers

79. Rory says:

Can I get Timmy’s translator to explain this last post to me? Thanks!

80. Allan says:

The bigger issue is he has played in 8 games for the usa and isn’t cap tied. If a player has played in X number of games for a senior side, irregardless of whether they are fifa “A” games, he should be cap tied.

81. Rory says:

I hope he gets capped tied soon… Then blames all this on his translator.
    “I kept saying I wanted to play for America, but he kept saying I was only open to playing for America! ”

82. Sarasota says:

Great news! Timmy Chandler simply makes us better. Maybe he is afraid of flying like Ernie Stewart used to be. Hopefully, he’ll be back with the team for the October qualifiers.

83. KenC says:

I’ve always given Timmy the benefit of the doubt. Fans are always quick to judge. Some coaches are quick to punish a player for going away on international duty. Look what AZ did to Jozy, they held him as long as possible and screwed up his participation this Summer with the Nats.

84. Alex says:

I’d be okay with him if he didn’t play friendlies but played in a consistent run of WC Qualifiers. We’ll see I guess.

85. Ted in MN says:

I don’t blame him for keeping his options open. Germany is better and, with them, he’s got a chance at a World Cup. That being said, if he expects to be brought along to Brazil by the US without playing before say spring of next year, I hope he’ll be in for a shock. Our team may not be worthy of Germany, but we are not without our pride.

86. RLW2020 says:

first off; thank you SBI! I don’t see ESPN, SI or anyone else getting interviews like this and asking the questions we all have!!

as for timmy2; ya i understand the travel is rough. At least you get to visit the Caribbean, California and nice parts of the US in middle of the cold fall and winters in Germany right?! not that bad.. Still your summers should be open.. But the fact is everyone has to do it, look at all the South American and Asian players that have to travel even further for international games, it should be something you do out of pride. If you are not proud and excited to get a US call up then turn it down! It sounds like he is compromising or his agent is telling him that he should settle for the US over Germany.. hopefully he accepts the call for the next round of games and changes his outlook on the US commitment.

87. jaileer says:

speaking of Terrance Boyd loving the us: soccernet.espn.go.com/feature/_/id/1152629/carlisle:-terrence-boyd%27s-painful-decision-to-play-for-the-u.s.?cc=5901

88. THomas says:

Does he really prefer Germany though? I mean he’s never had to make a decision between countries. Just between his club and country. If anything his loyalty to his club should be endearing to Americans and once he’s cap tied and more established on the club level, who’s to say he won’t show the same loyalty to the US?

He’s done nothing wrong so far, we haven’t commited that much to him other than a few caps in friendlies, let’s just wait for him to make his final decision and until then I’ll take any and all players who want to play for the US. If they choose not to, that’s up to them, not us.

89. marden08 says:

There is an old coaching axiom for cocking or confused players, “you are needed but not necessary”. I think he should be offered another opportunity only if he comes begging on his knees.

90. abc says:

This is BS, Fabian Johnson’s English has always been decent. He didn’t need a translator even on his first day with the USMNT.

Danny Williams is a bit shaky, but he certainly doesn’t need a translator as well.

In fact, that may be the difference between Jones, Johnson, Williams, and Boyd versus Chandler. Chandler doesn’t speak English well, so it’s probably tougher for him to feel like he’s a part of the American team. The other guys may not be totally fluent, but they speak enough English to fit in.

91. McQ says:

On an unrelated Nat topic – Is tomorrow’s game available on television? My local listing says beIn Sport – What is that? …little help please!

92. dgoshilla says:

This guy is not a good human being, that much is obvious. We don’t need people with sub par morals playing for the USMNT. We’re above this behavior.

93. Joe+G says:

My guess… look at his coach. Realized that playing for the US meant a lot more travel than if Tim played for Germany. Didn’t really want the extra wear and tear and has encouraged him to wait for a Germany call (or at least lessen his time with the US team).

Some players end up feeling an inordinate amount of pressure from their teams and they don’t want to risk the big paycheck for international duty.

94. abc says:

What about Timmy Ream??

Oh right he is a disastrous CB who gets outmuscled every other week, never mind…

95. TGA says:

you foolish American!!! Tim Chandler is German, barely speaks English.

96. Dennis says:

It is interesting that he is talking about it. I am one who tends to take people at face value, but temper that with what they actually do.

Chandler has said more than once he would like to play for the US, he has never said he would rather play for the US than for Germany. He also by all accounts has had no opportunity to play for the full German national team. He says he does not like the travel implicit in playing for the USA (and unlike most US players, it would not be a chance to visit family and old friends). So what he says is he would play, but is pretty much stopping short of saying he will bleed for the chance. The work ambivalent comes to mind.

What he has done is refused call-ups that would tie him to the US and some other call-ups that would (he says) interfere with his commitment to Nurnberg. Again the word ambivalent comes to mind.

Predicting what a 22 year-old will do is always an iffy thing; I guess we will know when we know.

97. abc says:

Let me Google slash Wikipedia that for you… or you could just follow soccer news as it has been discussed just about everywhere over the last few months!

98. Schlaf-Meister says:

Oktoberfest is actually Sept 22-Oct 7th in Munich, should have plenty of time to sober up and make it in time for the qualifier on the 12th…

99. biff says:

It would be helpful if we knew whether or not three key questions were asked of Timmy during the interview. The article does not tell us.

1. Was Timmy asked directly whether Klinsmann invited him for Jamaica? If yes, then that means Timmy declined to answer and would make it seem that Klinsmann invited him.

2. Was Timmy asked directly whether he would accept an invitation in October for WCQs against Guatemala and Antigua & Barbuda? If yes and he declined to answer with a firm “yes” but instead with a wishy-washy he’s “not opposed” to an invite, then that likely means he’s not opposed because he will simply decline yet again for the umpteenth time–no big deal–as he waits for a telephone call from Jogi Low.

3. And was Timmy asked point blank whether his first choice would be to play for Germany and the USMNT second choice. This is the key question, and I can only assume that Chandler was asked and for a third time failed to answer a key question = “he stopped short of saying unequivocally that he would never play for Germany.”

100. biff says:

I pose the following scenario to those of your who want to keep the door open to Chandler indefinitely. Let’s say that in May of 2014 Chandler has not yet been either capped by the USA or called up by Germany, and poor Timmy finally and sadly decides to give up on a phone call from Jogi Low. Timmy reluctantly telephones his buddy Jurgen Klinsmann and says he wants to commit to the USMNT so he can play in World Cup 2014.

My Questions: Do you invite Timmy to participate in WC 2014, meaning that you would have to ax a man from the squad who has played his heart out for the months or years to help the USMNT qualify and whose dream has always been to represent the USA in the World Cup? Would you want to look that man in the eye when you tell him you are replacing him with Timmy Chandler? How do you think the axed man’s teammates would feel? Would it be good for locker room morale?

If you feel, that Timmy deserves an open invitation and Teddy-Bear treatment because he is special and so great, then fine. But if you feel that it would not be fair to the axed player or to his teammates or to the fans, then the next question is deciding at what point during the WC 2014 cycle the door to an indecisive Timmy Chandler should closed. February 2014? Autumn 2013? June 2013? February 2013. Is this sort of uncertainty good for the team? How long can Klinsmann let this drag on without losing the respect of his players and the USMNT fans?

Do you think that maybe it would make sense to all involved to give poor Timmy a friendly irrevocable ultimatum in October 2012–a point of no return? And if he declines the invitation tell him: “Fine. Good luck with Jogi. We will now prepare for WC 2014 without your distraction and with players whose hearts are 100% committed to the USMNT and are willing to sacrifice (and travel) for the shirt. Auf Wiedersehen, Herr Chandler.” And then the door could ceremoniously be slammed in his face?

All that said, it is possible that the damage from Chandler’s broken promise is already done and a majority of USMNT players already are fed up with him and the door to him should be closed now. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall and hear what the guys say about him when reporters–and Klinsmann–are not around.

101. Josh says:

IIRC, Dennis Bergkamp had a fear of flying, and would take the train to Arsenal’s away matches.

102. biff says:

Just want to add, my personal opinion is these Jamaica WCQs should have been Chandler’s last chance to accept an invitation and get cap-tied and that by not accepting he should not be invited again in this WC2014 cycle. We don’t need no prima donnas who don’t want to fly to play in Mexico friendly or WCQs in June and now September but who will miraculously have enough energy to fly to Brazil in the summer of 2014. Timmy doesn’t want to pay his dues, wants the current USMNT members to do the hard grunt work of getting qualified and then he wants the glory of playing in the World Cup with them–but only if Germany does not call.

103. Andrew says:

Could not have said it better MidWest Ref!!!!!I am PROUD to call this my team. All I want is people playing with heart, passion and desire to represent the Stars and Stripes!

104. Bruno says:

Why so much attention to this guy?

From the games I have seen, he isn’t that good. Let him do what he wants.

105. hogatroge says:

This may be the dumbest comment I have ever read.

106. wva97 says:

Open letter to Tim Chandler:

Tim – you’re 22. You are young enough to travel to Mexico and back in four days and cope. What will happen when you’re 25 or 29 and asked to do the same? It doesn’t get easier chief.

107. Jamie says:

How about this-FIFA’s international policy is outdated and doesn’t reflect the integrated world we live in today. Forcing individuals of multiple nationalities to declare that they are only one does not accurately reflect how many of these individuals feel. If I am Kenyan-Canadian, have lived parts of my life in both countries, have parents born in each country, why should I have to choose only one? Why am I bound to only one national team when players can play for four club teams in four years if they want? It would mean the world to me to be able to pay homage to both sides of my family, to both the places I have lived. I am not any more Kenyan than I am Canadian, or vice-versa. FIFA’s rules are lax enough now where there fears about mercenaries are already coming true, why punish those of us who have no ill intentions in the process? If FIFA is worried about players killing the innocence of the international game (which is already killed), why not institute safeguards? Put in minimum amounts of time between when a player can play for two teams, etc. It’s just outdated.

108. happyjuggler0 says:

I agree, and I would also add that communication and comfort between players in the back line is important in general, and is critical in noise deafening environments like the World Cup and the Hex.

Time is wasting away….

109. Cairo says:

All I see when I read this article is two quick and skilled international quality outside backs running up and down the flanksfor the US. These guys (Johnson and chandler) would make the entire team better, and for potentially two cycles! There is still time to commit and show he cares, and we know he is pretty good. If committed I would rather have Chandler than lichaj by a wide margin. Forgive and forget is the international language of success in soccer…

110. Robert Daniels says:

Way to kill the joke..

111. Robert Daniels says:

My mom is Korean, my dad American and I would never choose Korea over the US, it’d be the same if she was from Spain.

112. Robert Daniels says:

Ha! You speak truth sir.

113. beachbum says:

lmao!!! Thanks man

114. Robert Daniels says:

Germany has said repeatedly that they aren’t interested in German nationals that have represented other nations when asked about Chandler. They’re never going to call him up unless they’re desperate even though they’re not that deep at right back.

115. smokeminside says:

116. sean says:

great interview

117. jones says:

We all know this, so really, he should not be surprised by the backlash. He has shown a lack of commitment to the team on several occasions (so we should be grateful when he gives us the time of day??). Many other guys would love to get a chance to play, so his behavior comes off as insulting. And all of the players there make similar sacrifices – he sounds a bit aloof.

118. jones says:

I mean, LOL:

“‘Obviously, I’m not happy if they think like this,’ said Chandler. ‘But they’re not in my head, they don’t know how I feel about it….’”

…oh snap! He’s all “you don’t know me.” BS.

119. Paul says:

Im over it. We need to move on because he is no Boyd (who is proud to suit up for the US)

120. Timbo Slice says:

I’m sorry. All I heard was “blah blah blah”

121. mikeandike says:

all the emotion aside, if he did suit up for the USMNT, his body of work and continued improvement would be a big help-we don’t have many players of his caliber. We can hate the players, but not the game, he can play and we could definitely use him.

122. Benny says:

“I predict we end up getting him, and once he’s cap-tied, we won’t see anymore of this refusing callups nonsense.”

I agree 100%.

123. Benny says:

“THAT SAID, he needs to earn his way back and beat out whoever’s in front of him actually showing up and dedicating their time to USMNT today…”

As soon he says, “I do” to the USA, he will beat out whoever is in front of him. That’s the way it’s just going to be.

124. soccerhorn says:

That’s what Germans do.

125. soccerhorn says:

I’ll answer politely. BeIn Sport is a new provider owned by, wait for it…. Al Jazeera. Al Jazeera bought the rights to the CONCACAF WC prelims from Jamaica. All the home teams have the rights to their home games. Jamaica contracted out their home games to Al Jazeera, aka BeIn Sports. beIn has only been around for a short time in the Western Hemisphere, and so far has only cut deals with DirecTV and Comcast. So if you have either if those two providers, call them tomorrow and maybe the can hook you up with BeIn. Or maybe not. Don’t hold your breath.

The good news is that the Tuesday game v Jamaica is in the US and will be televised.

126. Brian says:

This would be completely effing ridiculous

127. Brian says:

Huh? You’re saying Dolo can’t speak English anymore? Lolwut?

128. Quen047 says:

Chandler has never lived in the US. He’s spent his whole life in Germany. It is normal that he would rather play for Germany than the US if he can.

129. Truman says:

That is might be right,if he stays in Nurnberg,he never get the chance to play for the DFB….just take a look at the actually situation and the 23 players,they are going to play for Germany in the next few months. They are all from Bayern Munich and Dortmund(the last champion) one is playing in Rome and one in London and that`s the fact….So,give him a chance,he is just 22 years old and on a very good way to become a very good U.S. Teamplayer

130. Brett says:

“Still open” only because Germany hasn’t reached out to him yet.

I’m done caring at this point. We’ve got no shortage of promising players who WANT to play for the USMNT. Players that would kill for a call-up.

131. Jerrod says:

Didn’t sound too harsh to me, in fact it conveyed my thoughts pretty accurately. I love him as a player but until he commits, I don’t think much about himm

132. patrick says:

michale bradley, jurgen klinsmann, cherundolo, jermaine jones, danny williams fabian johnson and probably others, all speak Fluent german. in fact, I recall some of the german pkayers asking the team to speak MORE english so they could learn/practice

133. kjasjerjk says:

Im pretty sure landon donovan also can speak decent German.

134. Greek American says:

That has to be the dumbest thing ive ever heard. The reason you are tied to one nation is because players shouldnt be able to just play a world cup for one nation then another.. The international game is all about playing for a nation for pride and if you represent multiple nations you have little loyalty. People will start being like well im not good enough for Italy so ill just play for US this year.. That would be crazy and foolish

135. Hank says:

I don’t blame Timmy for keeping his options open. He is a German kid who happens to be American also. As long as he is totally committed to the US if/when he decides to get cap tied to us, that is all that matters to me.

136. Wunderbar says:

Chandler is a great player and makes the team better!! I hope he comes back to play for the USA. I agree with others though that if he does not play in qualifiers he should not be invited to the WC.

137. Pingback: According to Nuremberg, Chandler set for USMNT return | Soccer By Ives