Altidore scores in AZ Alkmaar cup win

USMNT0907122741

photo by John Todd/ISIphotos.com

Jozy Altidore's dream start to the season only continues to get better and better.

Altidore scored his latest goal for AZ Alkmaar on a penalty kick that capped the scoring in a 4-1 rout over second division club SC Veendam in the second round of the KNVB Cup on Thursday. Altidore converted the chance from 12 yards out by firing home a high shot that beat Veendam goalkeeper Theo Timmermans in the game that secured advancement in the tournament.

The goal gave Altidore eight across all competitions this season, further improving his chances of topping the career-best 19 goals he scored during the 2011-2012 campaign.

Here is Altidore's goal:

What do you think of Altidore's goal? How many do you see him scoring thsi season? Think he can pass his career best by the halfway point of the season?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad. Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Altidore scores in AZ Alkmaar cup win

1. Don Pelayo says:

We wasn’t messing around with that penalty; great power and right in the corner of the goal. He is showing great confidence!

2. Ryancweber says:

Great penalty. I’d love to see all this scoring for Alkmaar translate into some goals for the USMNT…

3. Tony in Quakeland says:

22 to go…

4. David says:

I’d love to see the great creative attacking play behind him at AZ magically transform to great creative attacking play for the USMNT.

5. M says:

Nice shot, the keeper guessed right but the shot was too well placed.

He created a PK earlier in the game via a handball in the box call and was rewarded with the opportunity to take this one later in the game.

6. Bryson says:

Holy cow, a picture.

7. Old School says:

He should have kicked it harder.

Man, this kid needs to quit being lazy.

8. FootyNut23 says:

He played a vital role in the two goals scored during the run of play as well. Solid hold-up play and passing on display. The same guy that posted the PK posted those two goals as well.

9. Primoone says:

Eaaaaaaasy SBI…its a pk. Not a free kick with a wall in front of it..lol

“Altidore converted the shot from 12 yards out…”

10. afgh says:

He assisted with 2 other goals. He’s the team’s main scoring point if not the only

11. Madaoua05 says:

Dutch is the funniest sounding language of all time. Twas awesome to listen to.

12. Joe+G says:

I spent 2 months working in Amsterdam. I could listen to a Dutch broadcaster all day (though I’d still understand about 8 words).

13. Jamie Z. says:

I think Dutch sounds like another Germanic language spoken with a severe speech impediment.

14. Jamie Z. says:

So lazy. He stopped running as soon as he scored, too.

15. jon says:

very confident pk

16. Old School says:

Did you see him as he set the ball? He WALKED up to the spot.

Lazy, I tell you.

17. beachbum says:

Jozy at the tip of the sword

————-Jozy————–
    –Clint———————LD–
    ——-JJ————-MB——–
    ———–Williams————-
    Fabian–Boca/Gonzo–Cameron–Dolo
    ———–Howard————-

18. YO says:

I’d love to see all this scoring translate into so OPPORTUNITIES with the national team…

19. YO says:

In all truthfulness, those hackneyed lazy comments are at least tangentially related to his “race.” I’m happy some fans are combating that foolishness.

20. Jim in Atlanta says:

————–jozy————-

–fabian—clint——landon–

———————-Bradley—–
    ——–d will——————–

Lichaj—boca—cam—–Chandler

I’m just saying!

21. Hooray! says:

I like both of these line ups but I would love to Fabian in the LM position, particularly if LIchaj can provide decent cover.

22. MidWest Ref says:

No they are not. They are related to past comments on this board where others have accused Jozy of not putting forth what they feel is a sufficient effort in USMNT games.

23. Ramiro says:

Cap Him!

24. theraccoun says:

I agree man. 95% of black players get exactly the same analysis on these message boards; “great athlete, but poor touch and lazy.” It’s a bit ridiculous how consistent that mapping holds up here

25. theraccoun says:

And, it really doesn’t matter what they do to show otherwise. Players like Jozy consistently refute it, yet people never change their minds

26. STX81 says:

I hate to break it to you but he’s already cap tied. ;)

27. too soon? says:

Making a PK might not be an amazing “must see” goal, but it is not an easy thing to do at the professional level either. It was very well taken, Jozy has tremendous power.

28. MemRook says:

Hate to break it to you but Ramiro was being ironic.

29. MemRook says:

Hate to break it to YOU but STX81 was being ironic too.

30. MemRook says:

Oh damn.

31. Bob says:

Wow! That’s POWER! Like dropping Thor’s hammer!

32. Darkstar8x says:

I hate to break it to you two but neither of you understand the word ironic.

33. Old School says:

You’re an idiot for bringing race into this.

An absolute idiot.

34. Old School says:

which is ironic.

35. Shawn says:

No he’s not, because at least some of it is culturally biased against him. “Body language” perceptions and such ‘are’ influenced by that. So yes, unintentionally, race is a part of this, and I’m a Conservative sick of that card being played.

36. Jeb says:

haha yessss Thor!!

37. Vic says:

I rate Gomez ahead of Altidore and so does Klinnsmann for good reason.

38. Vic says:

I never heard lazy comments about Johnson, Jones, Williams, Ricardo Clark, Oneywu or Chandler. Perhaps you want to recalculate that 95% number.

39. Isaac says:

Eaaasy Primoone. 12 yards out is a commonly used expression overseas to refer to the penalty spot, so you can chill.

40. THomas says:

The fact that he is taking PKs for them is awesome. Although in a cup match some of the regulars may have been out.

Regardless there’s no saving that one. EVER

41. My co-worker always talks about something called “The Secret” where your thoughts become reality. Here goes.

Jozy Altidore gets brace in Azteca during the Hex and becomes American soccer legend.

42. JD in FL says:

I think most people agree that we’d like to see more creativity with the USMNT. But what exactly is this? A creative CM can’t do anything without insightful off-ball movement – and I don’t see the US with too much of that. When they all played, I thought that Dempsey, Donovan, and Bradley combined pretty well creatively in the attack. We’ll see how things develop as qualifying continues. To me, the positive thing is that, if we can get Altidore the ball in dangerous areas, he looks much more confident and dangerous than in the past.

43. Primoone says:

Well thank you Mr. Football Officionato. In my 25 years of watching what was the league prior to the EPL, the EPL as well as every other game that was and is televised in english, I have only heard that maybe twice. Common? Youre full of it.

In addition, considering that we are not overseas I want to take this grand oportunity to tell you to STFU and mind your own. Carry on.

44. TomG says:

These are funny.

45. TomG says:

Oops – I meant the ironic Lazy comments. Then after I posted, I scanned down to see the racial debate tacked on! I think we’ve got two problems here. 1. Some people aren’t picking up that most of these lazy comments are ironic and meant to mock the people making those comments seriously. 2. I think it’s a complicated issue. Are there some people who make comments like that because of a racial prejudice? Of course there are. Some may be doing it consciously while others might be completely unconsciously prone to seeing the world that way due to their experiences or upbringing.

There are also other factors at work here, though. Jozy is a big guy who is growing into his body, so to expect him to have the work rate of a smaller, skinny guy is unrealistic. He’s also had some fitness issues, some partially caused by bouncing around clubs so much and some perhaps from immaturity and not knowing how to be a true professional. I feel like his work rate is much improved and fitness is not really an issue for him of late, so I think he’s worked through a lot of that.

Basically, it’s impossible to determine whether people are being dense, racist, trolling, making comments on past observations, or just saying dumb stuff in the heat of the moment. People can make similar comments but be coming from completely different places. Are there racists out there – of course. Is everyone who says Jozy is lazy racist – of course not. Personally, I would avoid using language like that b/c it is language commonly used by racists to stereotype African Americans. I think using that word is, ironically enough, lazy. There are other expressions you can use and you can explain where you are coming from in a way that makes your point of view clear without pushing those buttons.

46. Darwin says:

Because there’s only one…

47. kevin says:

*aficionado, took me awhile to figure out what you meant; since you were a jerk i figured id point it out

48. Old School says:

You gave for too much credibility to this guys nonsense and unneeded addition of race to the intentionally ridiculous remarks.

Difference is mine were intended to be ridiculous. His were not.

49. Old School says:

No, he really is.

Additionally, I couldn’t care less what your political viewpoint or affiliation is. Also ridiculous and unneeded.

50. TomG says:

Not everyone is wired for irony. When irony fails, sometimes you have to try to have a serious discussion.

51. theraccoun says:

I think the irony was obvious, hence why I didn’t attack you’re statement. @OldSchool, I see the same thing with tall people. People always automatically talk about how good they are in the air, when in truth they may be horrible. I see inherent biases all around, and they play to common stereotypes. For black people in soccer they almost always get tagged too quickly with the “great athlete and fast, but terrible touch and lazy”. Just a consistent trend and anecdotally empirically verified fact.

52. This Guy says:

Threads like this are why I rarely come around SBI anymore. This whole conversation is lunacy. Back to BS where real soccer debates occur.

53. theraccoun says:

Sorry brother, didn’t mean to bring this up like it’s some huge racial/political discussion. I think in general those are rare and unneeded. That said, nothing is worse on SBI then a post USMNT loss thread. Oh boy, then the knee jerks come out in full force and rationality falls to non-existence