Van Persie headed to Manchester United

RVPRooney (Reuters Pictures)

The Robin van Persie transfer saga has come to a conclusion, and it is one that has the Dutch striker set for a major move from the Emirates to Old Trafford.

Arsenal announced that they have reached an agreement with Manchester United for the transfer of Van Persie, who has been the subject of transfer rumors for months, including potential moves to United rival Manchester City and Italian champion Juventus. Van Persie is set to arrive in Manchester on Thursday for a physical and to agree to personal terms with the Red Devils.

With the addition of Van Persie, Manchester United now has the top two goal scorers in the Premier League from last season, as he teams with Wayne Rooney to form one of the more frightening forward tandems in the league. The move comes on the heels of United adding Borussia Dortmund attacker Shinji Kagawa and agreeing to a long-term deal with forward Danny Welbeck, fortifying an attacking nucleus that is shaping up to be one of the finest in all of Europe.

What do you think of this development? Does this make Manchester United the favorites in England? In all of Europe?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

89 Responses to Van Persie headed to Manchester United

1. fifawitz1313 says:

Wow. I did not think this was going to happen during this window.

2. Chris says:

I would imagine adding Van Persie cuts into Welbeck’s and Chicarito’s playing time.

3. Hesyourlifelight says:

Love it.

4. zao[yt says:

whatever happened to Emilio Estevez’s career? I may be 20 years late with that 1

5. Smirking Kitten says:

Good God. They now have an embarrassment of riches at the forward position. But, can they really keep all of those players happy? Will Welbeck and Chicharito settle for limited playing time?

Regardless, the Rooney-RvP forward tandem will be lethal. They must be the favorites for the title after today’s news.

6. Ben says:

Count me as one of those who are still skeptical of RVP ability to stay healthy. Last season was a bit of an anomaly. As an Arsenal fan, I don’t mind the move, though I loathe United.

7. Bryan says:

May he shred his knee and never play again. Traitor.

8. zao[yt says:

Damn with Van Persie and the Japanese player, Man U will win the league,

damn. I’m a Liverpool fan

9. Jamie says:

What position does Kagawa play?

10. chris says:

haha Chicharito

11. Jared says:

That’s why he’s a perfect fit at United. He won’t be relied on to score all the goals for the team as he was at Arsenal. He can be rested and given proper time off to recover from any injury. He also won’t be allowed to go to friendlies with Holland under Ferguson and that’s where he seemed to pick up most of his injuries.

12. K Bone says:

Ha, the Japanese player? You really couldn’t say his name?

13. Hesyourlifelight says:

Chicharito will still hit double digits in goals this season

14. Ted says:

jeez, RVP shows zero class or respect for Arsenal

15. Aseaborne says:

I love it!! Arsenal weren’t gonna win this season. nor the next let that man win something. Its Funny if he was an MLS player it would have been weeks of how the league was bush league and mean for not selling him, now its he’s a traitor and blah blah blah if you had an opportunity to work for an awesome company and make a boat load of money with great benefits I’m pretty sure you’d leave too.

16. K Bone says:

I still can’t believe this is happening, whether it’s a bad thing or a good thing for United. I can only assume Ferguson wants to make a huge statement of intent before he retires. He just turned 29, but in theory he should have at least 3 years left at the top. Given his injury history and the amount of games United usually plays, I’d imagine he’ll be rotated from time to time…

17. Jon says:

Wenger probably drowning himself in a tub of acid now.

18. Ben says:

Didn’t even consider the Chicharito angle. Haha, good, keep him on the bench to the benefit of the US.

19. Steve C says:

Young Guns was so awesome.

20. Jon says:

Also, LOL Chicharito. Transfer to Columbus Crew imminent!

21. Brett says:

So does this bring down RVP and Rooney’s fantasy value or raise their value? Opinions?

22. Eurosnob says:

Does this mean that Arsenal will push for Dempsey?

23. kimo says:

Doubtful. This was necessary as RvP wanted out and Arsenal needed to cash in. Arsenal had its best transfer season in years and if you’ve watched them in preseason you’d realize how deep they are now. You never want to lose a player of his quality, but the sell had to happen.

24. DJ says:

Was never very confident RVP would end up with City. Especially if they kept Dzeko, Tevez, Aguero, Balotelli, etc. Oh, and freakin Adebayor. For a year City has had what United is about to enjoy. (For the record, I’d imagine any sane person would still take City’s forward crew over United’s.)

City vs. United will be epic. The rest of the league will be miles behind.

25. Yusef says:

Was wondering the same thing, but I doubt it. They brought in some good attacking options this transfer window and really need to bolster their defense. Another top four finish for the Gunners this year and hopefully an end of the trophy drought from one of the four competitions they are in this year.

26. atd says:

From what I can tell, Mexican players do even better against the US when they’re riding the pine for club.

27. Michael Stypulkoski says:

SAF deserves the benefit of the doubt, but I don’t agree with this move. Spending that much on a thirty-year-old with a long history of injuries…I don’t know. Then again, RVP should give them two or three good years, maybe take them to a CL title.

28. Jeremy says:

Maybe he couldn’t remember?

29. Jdavids says:

why does wenger sell to his rivals? I hope arsenal (club I typically like) pays for this.

30. Michael Stypulkoski says:

Yeah, on loan with West Ham.

31. ted says:

A comparison to mls doesn’t really make sense here since hes still playing in the same league. And I think arsenal fans would feel very justified calling him a traitor considering he had been supported by the club when he stuggled with injuries, the way he’s conducted himself thru this transfer saga and the fact hat he’s moving to a hated rival.

32. Michael Stypulkoski says:

Bobby was a decent film.

33. Yusef says:

Yeah. Seems to shoot self in foot. It was inevitable that he was leaving, but I was hoping he would go to Juve so he would not punish Arsenal regularly over the next few years.

34. yu988968tughjbjlk says:

The Breakfast Club

90’s wasn’t good for him. He should have asked his brother or Tom Cruise for a movie rol

35. yu988968tughjbjlk says:

what’s the situation with Berbatov? Was Ferguson playing favorites by always playing Rooney instead of him? why’s he getting the cold shoulder

36. Clint Dempsey's AGENT says:

Does this mean Arsenal are FREE to buy Clint?

Please say YES

37. Clint Dempsey's AGENT says:

That movie had a ton of celebs in the film all doing cameos. Very impressive.

ever seen The War At Home? That’s his best film ever

38. RLW2020 says:

Cm-Cf at times across the midfield.

39. Hesyourlifelight says:

I would not be surprised to see Manchester United’s top 4 strikers all go double digits in goals overall this season.

40. yaw says:

Arsenal should by Wondolowski

He scores freely in MLS and MLS is arguably equal to the PL. He could score 10-12 goals this season

41. ted says:

Only if you dont mind dempsey’s playing time being severely reduced

42. RLW2020 says:

they picked up a Podolski, Giroud, and Carzorla to offset RvP’s inevitable move, but i agree the need more star power if they want to make it in the Champions League..

it would be a good fit for Dempsey however i would rather root for Fulhamerica over Gunners any day..

43. Nave says:

I guess it’s true what they say about the American ownership. They are going to destroy the team and are just not willing to spend the money necessary to win.

44. RLW2020 says:

cuz their ownership is stupid!

45. Kevin_Amold says:

+1. Hope those racing seats are comfy Chicharito…

46. K Free says:

Juve can’t pay the fee and rvp’s salary. Plus the coach was just banned 10 months. Not a good deal financially or club wise any longer.

47. RLW2020 says:

well ManU is owned by an American too. but Arsenal’s ownership will not win them anything…Kronke has been a poor owner of every team he has touched.

48. chris says:

hahaha Podolski, Carzola, Giroud and possibly Sahin > injury prone RVP

49. Old School says:

This credit will be given to Queen Alex and not the American ownership that actually spent the funds.

Conversely, just another signing and stock piling talent for a manager that claims the transfer window is “mad” and City is ruining the game.

50. K Free says:

??? Arsenal has just spent round $50 mil, more than they have in years…before selling any meaningful pieces. Keep in mind RVP wanted out so can’t stop him leaving. Plus the club plans to do more transfers IN before the window closes.

51. Kevin_Amold says:

Unclear. I like to know how the two play together and how the team plays and where the offense goes through. That’s my view.

I’d say Rooney is always a safe pick, takes penalties, gets assists, but RVP with his injury history, moving to a new team, etc is a bigger question mark. Might be too expensive.

52. Old School says:

Can you explain to me what exactly Kronke has done wrong at Arsenal?

I’d really love to hear an in-depth opinion on it.

Please tell me it’s not because he’s refused to spend unlimited funds in the transfer market.

53. Eugene says:

Arsenal as a brand just took another major knock. I hope the club can get out of this funk and back to their awe-inspiring ways. Not sure how much the MLS/American influence is hurting Arsenal here… they’re just not keeping pace with the world class teams/global brands.

On the flip side, I hope they go out and buy Clint Dempsey.

54. K Bone says:

I know you’re being sarcastic (I hope), but on that reasoning, wouldn’t Wondolowski score a lot more than 10-12 goals a season if MLS is somewhat equal to the EPL?

55. K Bone says:

Just another signing? United don’t sign remotely the big names that City, Chelsea, and now PSG do. Van Persie is their biggest signing since Berbatov, which was four years ago. You don’t think the transfer market is inflated now?

56. gtv says:

Deuce to Arsenal.

57. yaw says:

I see you have gone to college. Salut

58. beachbum says:

will be interesting to see how this impacts Hernandez’s playing time, effectiveness, etc.

does Arsenal need a lower priced performer now perhaps? maybe gtv :)

59. away goals says:

Ridiculous claim. These guys are professionals, not hostages to a club.

RVP did everything he could to bring success to arsenal. And in the end he fetched arsenal 24M.

60. away goals says:

Curious what you mean when you say “supported through injury struggles”?

Isn’t it standard practice for a club to provide medical attention to their injured players?

61. Andrew says:

I’m not sure that RVP will pass his physical. I’ve heard he has problems with his back after carrying the team for so many years.

62. away goals says:

In this era owners can either compete for trophies by spending themselves into ruin, or they can show a lack of commitment by spending responsibly.

I for one think it’s remarkable what arsenal have been able to do, trophy or no trophy.

63. Scott says:

If Nasri were to run into RVP and they both explode i’d be fine with that.

But Seriously, Podolski, Giroud, Carzola and whoever else could come in can replace RVP who has been healthy for a total of 1 season

64. away goals says:

Of course the market is inflated, but united aren’t innocent bystanders.

Almost every player in their first 18 was bought for 10M+. City did the same thing, they just did it over the span of 18 months.

65. SilverRey says:

Maybe this is what all the wait was about. Wenger has expressed interest in the past….

66. Jess says:

No joke! Gio killed us in the Gold Cup after riding the Spurs bench all season.

67. brianh says:

kagawa cannot lay the cm position in a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1, he can only play well behind the striker, haanover was able to walk over man u’s midfield for a reason. van persie will help united but it is not where they need the help, kagawa was already going to help the attack by playing behind a strker. this money should have gone to helping the center mid, not by adding a luxury while adding another player to fit into 2 positions. to be fair this transfer sends a message to city that they can spend money too.

68. Arsenalkid700 says:

How long have you been following football?

69. bottlcaps says:

Maybe. Wenger is a follower of Demsey, but they stocked thre team pretty good this summer. However, having a bag o’ money from the Van Persie sale and needing proven goalscorers it make sense that Arsenal might take a bite at Dempsey. The other upside for the Duece is that a big sale like that has a reverberating effect across the EPL. Liverpool might up their bid to Fulham’s liking if they think Arsenal may swoop.
    I think Dempsey is greatly undervalued. If he were an Englishman he would be commanding 30+M pounds, but the media grossly overhypes even the most modest achievements of English players.

It will be an interesting 2 weeks

70. Madaoua05 says:

Couldn’t agree more. And while we’re at it, Beckerman should sign with Chelsea.

71. Primoone says:

“I love it!!Arsenal werent gonna win this season. nor the next..”

…Nor the next after next and the season after that next season…(Status Quo continues well beyond 2020)

I couldnt help to point out that your statement was a tad incomplete.

Sincerely,

RVP
    Winger
    Man United/Manchester United or United
    But never Man U!

72. Eric says:

Eh FA Cup Carling Cup Champion’s League and the Premier League. I think I’d take my chances on getting the same amount of games.

73. Artman says:

Mehhh, sad to lose him, but Viera, Henry, Flamini, Hleb, Adebayor, etc. once sold, never really matched their best form that they had at Arsenal with new clubs. Good chance same will happen with Van Persie, Euros form could be premonition. Cesc about the only one keeping form and contributing, possibly Cole. Nasri still to be seen, but he can’t even become a steady starter at City.

74. Josh says:

Jonathan Bornstein may have had something to do with that…

75. Josh says:

I’m actually okay with this. When he’s in-form, RvP is one of the top two or three pure strikers in the world, but last year’s tally was the exception, not the rule. And players tend to get more brittle as they age, not less. I don’t blame RvP for getting as much money as he can, and I certainly don’t blame Arsenal for selling him for as much as they can. His value is unlikely to ever be higher.

I just hope the players they brought in pass muster. I’m pretty excited about Cazorla’s signing. Like Arshavin, Cazorla’s pretty short, but he looks like a lot less of a head-case than the Russian. On the other hand, Podolski doesn’t look like as good of a fit in Arsenal’s system.

It’d be great if they could add a player with the kind of fire Dempsey has, but it might be tough for Deuce to crack that lineup. Arsenal definitely looks deeper than they have in recent years.

76. whoop-whoop says:

Wake up son…. how about a little perspective: The man who was one of the few shining elements of what I assume is your team last year, has merely changed places of employment in order to pursue greater opportunity. Best hope you never suffer the same fate you wish upon others.

77. atd says:

Plus Barrera — guy was a total flop at West Ham then scored twice against us last summer.

78. ben in el cajon says:

True, all he did was drag them back to the champions’ league on his back, covering for the loss of a couple or four major talents who fled in the past two years and were not replaced, while Wenger fiddled and the owners counted pennies.

He really should have wasted his entire career at Arsenal with no chance of winning anything, so the fans could sit quietly and watch proudly as their club sinks into mid-table obscurity. No worries, I’m sure any day now a 17-year-old French winger will save the club.

79. ben in el cajon says:

What’s all this about Man U? I didn’t know the Manx had a university!

80. ben in el cajon says:

So I guess the IPO went better than it looked?

81. SwerveZ says:

82. SwerveZ says:

And who do you think is a better goal scorer??

83. SwerveZ says:

+1!!!!
    Arsenal are running themselves as a real business by keeping profits every year. What other top level club in the world is doing that and competing as highly?
    It’s sad that any old oil baron can come into any club and spend $250mil and make a great team. That’s bullsh*t. That’s the same thing MLB does and is there any parody at all in that league? NO. UEFA sucks if it doesn’t put the smack down on salaries/losses.

84. Bill says:

Both Arshavin and Ramsey have been linked to Fulham this summer. Don’t be surprised to see Arshavin, Ramsey, and 2 million pounds headed to Fulham for Dempsey. The only question is whether Ramsey is loaned or sold to Fulham.

85. InkedAG says:

When I first read about this, no amount of cuss words could describe how I feel.

But I’m past that now. My main thing is of all teams he could go to, that’s where he goes. It’s shameful.

86. CplDaniel says:

hmmm…such a deal looks a lot more likely than a lot of others we’ve seen.

87. Ian says:

False. It’s not just about him signing with another team. His lack of loyalty to the team that stood by him time and again through his fit of injuries, only to go to a major rival, shows a complete lack of class. I don’t wish injury upon him, but nevertheless: Good f*cking riddance.

88. Ian says:

Drag them on his back? For one season, sure. Before then, he was injury-plagued and Arsenal could’ve sold him off because of it, but didn’t, instead opting to stand behind their player and the potential they knew he had. In return, after an amazing season, he signs for a major rival, despite some (admittedly surprisingly) half-way decent signings. Lack of class.

89. Ian says:

I will say I’m happy about the £20m+ fee, though. ManU probably should’ve gotten him for less, given he’s 29 and injury-prone.