Bradley transfers to Roma, signs four-year deal

Michael Bradley (Reuters)

For a second straight summer, Michael Bradley is changing clubs. But this time he is staying in Italy and playing for one of the more prolific clubs in the world.

Bradley joined AS Roma from Chievo Verona on Sunday, the Italian heavyweight announced on its website. Roma paid Chievo a transfer fee of $4.6 million plus a 50 percent share in Romanian youngster Adrian Stoian for Bradley, who agreed to a four-year deal.

Bradley has already joined his new Roma teammates for their preseason training camp.

Signing with Roma is the latest step up the European club ladder for the 24-year-old U.S. men's national team midfielder. He previously played for Borussia Moenchengladbach and SC Heerenveen while also spending a brief loan stint with Aston Villa.

What do you think of Bradley signing with Roma? Expect him to earn a starting role immediately? Ordering your Bradley Roma jersey already?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad. Bookmark the permalink.

74 Responses to Bradley transfers to Roma, signs four-year deal

1. Keith says:

Great move as long as he is in the first 11 weekly.

2. NATO says:

Brillant. He may take months to become a starter, maybe even take the whole season but I feel he will become part of ROMA’s starting XI and help them get back to the CL or at least EL.

3. NATO says:

How much is he making? 4 year contract is pretty solid. Hard to imagine he’s only 25. Dude has been abroad for nearly 7years

4. hm says:

Please tell me Stoke nab Cameron soon. And that Dempsey moves to Arsenal or Liverpool. All our NT regulars need to be playing in Europe. In fact come 2014 I imagine our entire squad will be European based

5. G? says:

If you look at our first team xi, it usually is, with the exception of donovan

6. Michael Stypulkoski says:

It is hard to imagine that he’s only twenty-five, considering he’s only twenty-four. ;)

7. Stephen says:

As a Romanista and a US fan, i am ecstatic. I think he will fight and ultimately win a starting role- but he will have to fight.

For those worried about his playing time- look, its time he took the risk at a fairly large club. Whether he earns a starting job or turns out to be a role player. We’ll know what kind of player he is by the end of the season.

8. Lorenzo says:

Remember his overtime goal in u-20 world cup? Goal against Egypt in Confederations Cup, in the World Cup, in the Gold Cup final. His TWO goal performance against Mexico in the hex. Dude has been huge in the USA jersey already at 24 y.o.

Despite his lack of fancy skill and flair, the dude is going to go down as one of USA’s best. I really hope this move to Roma works out for him.

9. BEASTOFNEWYORK says:

I DON’T EVER SEE OUR SQUAD BEING, ONLY EUROPEAN BASED, WHY? BECAUSE AS MLS CONTINUES TO IMPROVE, YOU WILL MISS OUT ON THE NEXT STAR PLAYER. AS GOOD AS BRAZIL IS, NOT ALL THEIR PLAYERS ARE EUROPEAN BASED. YOU NEED THE NATIONAL LEAGUE TO BE STRONG AND FOR SOME PLAYERS TO BE AT TOP LEAGUES IN EUROPE. YOU NEED BOTH, OR USA WILL NEVER IMPROVE. MLS IS GROWING, PORTLAND AND LA GALAXY WAS A VERY GOOD LEAGUE. ALSO BECAUSE YOU PLAY IN EUROPE DOESN’T MEAN YOU ARE BETTER, GOOCH IS NOT. SO IT WILL ALWAYS BE BOTH.

10. john.q says:

OKAY

11. Yaznasty says:

He’ll be 25 at the end of the month, close enough

12. Jamie Z. says:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION!!!

13. vipero says:

We’re all excited and happy here (here on the other side of the ocean I mean). A tough guy that would make us all fall in love with him.
    Daje Michael!

14. yay says:

Ladies and gentleman, the next Captain of the USMNT. At least for WC 2018

15. acidburn says:

YES THAT IS THE TRUTH!!!!! ALL CAPS MEANS IT MUST BE RIGHT

16. Ben says:

WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?

17. Chrispy says:

Are there any big Serie A or Roma fans that know who he would be competing with for the starting spot?

18. C(note) says:

Remember when everyone hated him and all that “now that daddy’s gone, JK will never have in a MNT jersey.”

Haha. Memories

19. RLW2020 says:

indeed.. a lot to be excited about here.

20. Stephen M says:

As of right now, it appears he is competing directly with Marquinho, who is more of an attack minded midfielder.

It depends on how Zeman uses De Rossi. If De Rossi is the regista, then either Marquinho or Bradley will play in the midfield with Pjanic. If Zeman prefers that De Rossi play box to box, Bradley will be the regista.

21. RLW2020 says:

not an expert at all, but i hear Roma is losing Fernando Gago and bringing Bradley in as his replacement..

22. Spectra says:

SBI why so late on the rumors? most sites have had this for two weeks

(SBI-People jumped the gun on Bradley’s transfer being done, and the fact is it wasn’t completed until recently. I addressed those rumors two weeks ago, and the fact it took TWO WEEKS after those initial rumors of a “Done deal” before an actual done deal happened says plenty.)

23. yay says:

Is this the point where everyone comes in and claims they have been ROMA and Serie A fans for the past 3 decades?

24. RLW2020 says:

either way he is playing aside De Rossi or practicing next to him everyday. Great place to be..

25. Spectra says:

I DON’T KNOW WHAT WE’RE YELLING ABOUT!!!!!

26. 232 says:

So crazy since I was sold on Bradley back in summer 08 and he confirmed it for sure in summer 09 but it took til just a few months ago for his haters to jump on his train.

27. Jamie Z. says:

I don’t remember that at all. I must have slept through it.

28. Spectra says:

Yes Gago was on loan from Madrid

29. Michael F. says:

I read Zeman wanted Bradley and they went out and got him. No coach does that an then keeps him on the bench. Bradley will start.

30. BEASTOFNEWYORK says:

I wasn’t yelling, sorry for the caps. I was saying we need players in Europe, but also the National league(MLS)as well for continue improvement of the NT. Sorry again for all the cap, I didn’t notice, I was watching my baby cousin and typing at the same time.

31. Brad says:

Bradley won’t take long to earn his spot in the 11.

32. Sam says:

SBI isn’t late with this news. They mentioned the rumors a while back and are now posting this article because the deal was finally completed today.

33. Rivaldo says:

A true professional who learned from the consumate professional

34. DS says:

Roma’s new coach Zeman plays a 4-3-3. DeRossi will man the defensive position, Pjanic in a more attack-minded role. The competition for the other spot right now is Marquinho, a young Brazilian who came to Roma midseason last year and acquitted himself well. They still have holdovers like Simplicio and Perrotta but those guys are role players at this stage. Roma is also bringing in another young player named Tachtsidis (sp.) from Serie B but Zeman has already stated that he views him as an understudy to DeRossi in the defensive spot.

I’m sure that’s more detail than you wanted. Bottom line, it will be competitive (as it always is at the bigger clubs) but Bradley has a very good chance to get some significant minutes as a starter. Can’t wait to get the season started (and to see Roma play at Red Bull Arena in a couple weeks – this has to be a nice boost for ticket sales for that match).

35. Roy says:

You’re right. We’ll probably hear a lot of people say they were Bradley supporters like a lot of Boomers say they went to Woodstock and didn’t actually go.

36. Ken says:

Some pics of him with his new club.
    link to romanisti.it

37. Madaoua05 says:

I’VE BEEN A FAN OF ROMA FOR THE PAST 3 DECADES. LOUD NOISES!

38. 232 says:

Called it :D

39. Sonicdeathmonkey says:

LOUD NOISES!!!!

40. QuakerOtis says:

Ives tends to address rumors in his q&a, tends not to report things officially until they are, well, official.

41. QuakerOtis says:

Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast!

42. BEASTOFNEWYORK says:

What got out of hand, I said I wasn’t yelling, don’t make me get going.

43. RNG says:

Well I have been a fan of Roma since the 2000-2001 season when they won the scudetto.

But the key thing to check out is the new coach, Zeman, who is some sort of crazy mad genius. He plays all attack all the time, and it will be fun to watch. Stay tuned!

44. gtv says:

Good for Bradley, but what about Clint Dempsey. He should be gone from FFC by now and Fulham have already started their preseason.

A move to LFC doesn’t really excite me. But if he doesn’t get an offer from a bigger club, there’s something wrong.

45. Old School says:

Exactly.

Go get ‘em Bradley. I have faith in your stubborn/hardworking/hard-nosed mentality will win over the Manager.

Get hungry.

46. ted tran says:

According to some reports its around 800k a year, making him the one of the lowest paid on the team I believe.

47. BrickTamland says:

Yeah, there were horses and a man on fire and I killed a guy with a trident.

48. QuakerOtis says:

Seen Anchorman? Was joking.

49. ChappytheGoat says:

The last two comments were quotes from the movie Anchorman. They weren’t to be taken seriously lol

50. tom says:

I’d be excited by Liverpool, because they have a new coach who has his teams play in a very
    Spanish style. It’s going to be very interesting.

51. GW says:

The biggest thing of all, Ives, is we need info on TV coverage of Roma’s games.

Are they likely to be on ESPN3?

52. solles says:

Actually I think he fits in quite well as a MF destroyer type, allowing De Rossi to push forward more. Wouldnt be all that surprised to see him in the first 11 from the get go, it’s not like he’s an unknown quantity in Serie A.

53. BEASTOFNEWYORK says:

Sorry

54. Ben says:

I’m excited to see how the Bradley-DeRossi midfield will work out. DeRossi is in his prime right now; and at this point, Bradley has pretty much refined his game and leveled up each year, so it is going to be great seeing it at a “big” club.

55. sstf says:

hopefully longer; bradley seems like the type of player who could play till he’s 35 (like gennaro gattuso would if he wasnt rugby tackling everyone)

56. DS says:

Roma fan for a number of years now. FSC gives decent coverage to Serie A, usually 4 games each weekend – hope that continues. Roma on frequently. Otherwise, the matches will almost always appear on ESPN3.

57. vince says:

i don’t know about that bro…that seems too low…i think most players on Championship sides in England make more than that…

58. vince says:

that’s a lame excuse for all caps…

59. Clayton says:

I DON’T KNOW WHAT WE’RE YELLING ABOUT!

60. Clayton says:

I still hate Italian soccer

61. Lorenzo says:

Funny thing is, a long time ago it was actually a Danny Szetela to AS Roma article that actually didn’t happen that was probably the last time Ives posted anything confirmed until it was officially confirmed. Also funny it was the other u20 CM from that team that ended up At Roma

(SBI-Lorenzo, if you think the last time I’ve written something that wasn’t officially announced was the Szetela-to-Roma story then you really must not read much of my stuff. I break stories regularly, but definitely do so with a more cautious eye toward getting those stories confirmed thoroughly. The Szetela-to-Roma story was the last (and only) time I’ve gotten a transfer wrong, and yes, it certainly made me more cautious about sources and making assumptions based on what one source might tell me. That’s a lesson it seems plenty of people could use these days because there seems to be a rash of gun-jumping and premature reporting of deals that simply aren’t done.)

62. crocajun1003 says:

Yeah, you should probably lay low for awhile.

63. danny says:

I remember watching him in summer of 09 and believing he’s the real deal… the future of US soccer. I got so frustrated with all the haters on this site… it brought out some people’s biases about American soccer for all to see, or it just showed them to be dumbasses. But, no more I told you so’s from me. Hope every US NATS follower becomes a Bradley fan.

64. OC says:

I’m actually hoping it’s the other way around. De Rossi has always (for me) been THE destroyer prototype, and at least USMNT fans have seen how pivotal MB can be to a match when he is coming forward looking to distribute.

Hopefully we see this partnership flourish with Bradley being the more forward of the two; I think that would be the best scenario for our national team and for Bradley’s offensive game to develop even more.

65. nelsinho says:

because your probably wanted. for murder.

66. Frankie B. says:

Daje Lex Luthor!

67. Seriously? says:

uh, I don’t know why people are excited, he only gets picked by teams because, uh, his dad is the manager of Egypt.

68. crocajun1003 says:

I don’t have a problem admitting I’ll be jumping on the bandwagon. But my favorite teams have always been ones with yanks on them anyway. Hopefully Roma will be more exciting to watch than Chievo.

69. Dog says:

I agree with OC

arf

70. vipero says:

A clip from Roma Channel (thanks to http://www.carlozampa.com forum):

link to youtube.com

71. Fan Futbol says:

Serious question: how soon before a Bradley Roma jersey will be available for sale online?

72. Mike Caramba says:

Don’t mean to be a jerk, but how is Roma (or any club, for that matter) “prolific”?