Bradley transfer update

MichaelBradleyChievo (Getty)

The summer transfer season is in full swing now and the inevitable stories reporting deals that are done, and not done, are underway. Among the subjects in the rumor mill is U.S. national team midfielder Michael Bradley, who has been linked with multiple Italians clubs, most recently with Roma.

According to my sources, Bradley is not close to a transfer move just yet, and reports suggesting done deals (first with Palermo, and most recently with Roma) are premature. The two clubs are in the mix for Bradley's services, but nothing has been agreed to.

Chievo Verona is in talks with multiple Serie A clubs ( Fiorentina, Sampdoria and Inter Milan have been mentioned, though the Inter link appears the weakest rumor of he bunch), but nothing has been finalized. The team most likely to secure Bradley's services? Roma has the deepest pockets and are the biggest of the clubs interested, so that makes them a favorite. That has been the case for months though so there's really nothing new there.

At the moment, the only thing that can be assured at this point is that Bradley will be leaving Chievo this summer.

Where would you like to see Bradley go? Share your thoughts below.

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, European Soccer, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Bradley transfer update

1. jack says:

Roma will snap him up if anyone, theyve got that American in the higher ups been wanting to get a yank in the squad since he got there

2. Mig22 says:

I don’t doubt SBI but apparently Wahl has a different source that claims the Roma deal is down to a few details” “Only small things left to discuss”.

I realize that SBI and Wahl’s positions are not mutually exclusive but it does seem that there has been some movement.

I don’t know if Roma with DeRossi and Totti is where I want MB to go. Not sure.

(SBI- Everyone has their sources they stick to and trust. On the subject of Michael Bradley, I have mine and I definitely trust mine. Truth is I would have avoided any comments about this subject until something was closer to finalized but with so many reports out there, and so many people asking me about it I decided to give an update.

I would remind folks that a year ago everyone thought it was a lock that Bradley was going to Fenerbahce. Does that mean Roma is NOT happening? No, Roma can definitely happen, but sometimes information is spread prematurely. That’s not a knock on any other writers, or jab at any other stories. That’s just reality. I have had it happen to me as well.)

3. huhe888 says:

Roma is a close to a LOCK for Michael Bradley’s services as you can get.

Roma has a Boston-based owner, who also has a piece of Liverpool FC.

4. Alex says:

Happy for Bradely! He deserves to be on a top team after his performances with Chievo.

5. Jake says:

Also, how is Roma the biggest club interested in Bradley when Inter Milan was just mentioned. Do you mean biggest club with “serious interest”?

(SBI- Yes. According to my sources, the Inter Milan “interest” was never legitimate. At least not as far as the team ever making an offer.)

6. Adam says:

What’s wrong with Chievo? The team did pretty well last year, and MB was a fixture for them.

7. Tim says:

Bigger team, deeper pockets, better results. Chievo with their budget will likely never be better than middle of the table. A team like Roma can/will compete to make the CL or even win the league.

8. wides says:

Agreed, and Mikey has stated repeatedly his desire to play for some of the biggest clubs in the world and to play on the highest stage (CL)

9. jon says:

If Bradley’s transfer to any particular club isn’t certain, then why can we be assured he will be leaving Chievo?

(SBI-Chievo’s technical director has stated publicly that the team will have no choice but to sell him based on the level of interest there is in him and the fact he only has one year left on his deal. There are no done deals yet, but enough strong interest to ensure a deal will get done eventually.)

10. 2tone says:

Yeah I have seen various other reports saying it’s basically a done deal, Wahl included.

But supposedly another Club outside of Serie A has made an offer.

11. Jake says:

Just a thought.. With Box to Box/Holding types like Fernando Gago and especially Danielle De Rossi already in the squad, where does Bradley fit with Roma?

12. Jake says:

*Already in Roma’s squad, just to clarify.

13. Adam says:

Totti is a forward…. and DeRossi is just one of 4 midfielders that Roma plays with.

I like his chances.

14. Ben says:

Gago will not be retained

15. Jordan says:

Just hope he would get games at Roma with De Rossi there.

16. Sean says:

Hago is back with Madrid after his loan, he is not going back. Chievos director of sport has stated that MB90 wants to go to Roma, so it’s probably really close to going through.

17. sean says:

*Gago

18. ballzgasmic says:

Gago is property of Real Madrid

19. Jake says:

Ah, forgot he was on loan. Good news. A Bradley/De Rossi pairing would be great. Tough tackling, guile and good distribution. Hope the deal is finalized.

20. Frankie B. says:

Michael Bradley’s life just keeps getting better and better. Hot wife, cute dog, new contract, better team, more accolades. I’d sure as hell trade lives with Bradley. I don’t care about not having hair.

21. crocajun1003 says:

Also, I’m pretty sure MB is on a 2 year deal. If Chievo don’t move him now he’ll likely walk next season with Chievo getting nothing in return.

22. Jake says:

I think they could play together, similar skill sets but both have shown they can play with another deep-lying midfielder. It will be interesting to see if it works out.

23. crocajun1003 says:

I’ve felt like Bradley’s style recently has reminded me a lot of De Rossi. A hard playing jack-of-all-trades type of midfielder that can beat you technically and physically.

24. pd says:

Now if we can get Dempsey to Dortmund the summer dream transfer scenario would be complete for me.

25. wildchild says:

Happy for Bradely.

Looking forward to hearing about Dempsey.

26. Mig22 says:

Understood and good points. However, Totti plays in a free-roaming, central, attacking sort of spot and DeRossi effectively plays the same spot as MB. As long as those two guaranteed starters are there in the middle of the park Roma is not changing their system. This means that MB has to compete versus 22-year old Pjanic for the other MF position. Interesting discussion.

To SBI: I hope you realize I wasn’t saying that other writers’ sources are better, just different. Hey, as I said, I trust you guys as evidenced by the fact that I’m here. :) And other than as discussion-fodder, I agree that there is no ‘need’ to report it if you have no new info.

27. Felix says:

Wherever he goes (which likes AS Roma) I hope its the manager that wants him there, and he isn’t being forced down the coach’s neck.
    If it is Roma, I wonder what this means for De Rossi, will they cash in and sell him to Man Utd, which has been kicked around for a couple of seasons now.

28. Adam says:

Correction, their new coach is a big fan of the 4-3-3 so he will fit right in into the midfield.

29. Madaoua05 says:

If Bradley ends up at Roma, do you think he should elbow De Rossi in the nose during the first training session as payback for McBride in ’06?

(Just kidding…kinda.)

30. plawcas says:

Napoli please…

31. RLW2020 says:

don’t know any details about this case, but it always seems like big transfers have a few bigger clubs, but not legitimate, mentioned. Maybe just to grab more attention, increase the transfer fee, media..

32. Alex says:

Totti has been more of a false 9. And Pjanic is more of an AM than Bradley is. Bradley would slot into the spot recently vacated by Fernando Gago. Supposedly

33. RLW2020 says:

Napoli is in Europa qualifying next year and Roma finished just outside.

Verona over-achieved to 10th Place. I’d say its a good time for a move!

34. RLW2020 says:

Dempsey to Schalke!

really either one would be perfect!

35. hudson says:

Is there any update on Dempsey? It seems like transfer rumors about him in the English press have dried up lately.

36. Jake says:

Makes sense. I’ve never read much about Inter showing real interest. Thanks for the update.

37. Annelid Gustator says:

Americans have a tradition of getting in fights in training in Italy [Gooch vs. Ibra]. Okay, to be fair, one incident with a butthead like Ibra does not make a pattern.

38. Span16 says:

Derossi is the highest paid player in serie A, a native of Rome and his nickname is capitano futuro. I dont think he is leaving for ManU as he wouldn’t fit in their tight wage structure.

If MB does end up in Rome it will be very interesting to see the lineup. Their new coach Zeman is notorious for being VERY attack minded. It will certainly be a continued education in tactics for Bradley….different from Chievo

39. Span16 says:

With all due respect I would go with gooch as the butthead and Ibra as football genius

40. Sabella says:

I’d like to see Bradley (and Dempsey) move to bigger clubs but only if they are going to start and play every game. Riding the pine at a big club doesn’t help them in the long run

41. jon says:

thanks for the response, ives

42. JGD says:

“Butthead” and “footballing genius” are not mutually exclusive. Ibra is a great player but he’s also a d-bag.

43. Eric says:

Someone’s a Schalke fan

44. Eric says:

Ives is your source his sportswriter uncle by any chance?

45. David J S says:

46. Mig22 says:

yeah, IF they play some traditional version of the 4-3-3, then he should get good time. If not, I don’t know if he fits. I suppose it comes down to whether Il Capitano likes him.

New coach too. I hope he’s on board with buying the US player and it’s not being crammed down his throat for jersey sales.

47. Annelid Gustator says:

My thinking was captured by JGD below. Also worth considering, Ibra has come to fisticuffs a couple of other times with his own teammates and a couple of more times with other players. Genius? Sure. Butthead? I think so.

48. GW says:

Sell high and buy low.

Hopefully this doesn’t happen but if Bradley stays at Chievo and starts out the year badly or god forbid, gets hurt, everyone loses a lot of money and opportunities.

Having experienced both environments if it were me I’d rather stay in Verona than move to frickin Rome but Mikey is ambitious.

For a modest club like Chievo when a player makes the splash Mikey did, they almost have to sell him.

49. GW says:

Dortmund or Schalke would work but I’d prefer Dempsey to Barca depending on Villa’s health.

50. GW says:

Just because you have extremely greasy hair and look like a vampire it doesn’t mean you are a d bag.

51. GW says:

Dempsey wouldn’t move anywhere if he didn’t think he would start there.

Of course, I’m pretty sure he believes he can start on any team in the world and I am not inclined to argue with him.

I’m sure he would fit in well at Barca especially if Villa does not come back as good as before.

52. Drew says:

hahahahhaahha. i’m not a europhile at all, but dempsey wouldn’t sniff the field at barca. he doesn’t fit the system and he’s no pedro, who wasn’t even getting time last year.

53. GW says:

Clint wants to get better and play at the highest level possible.

How are you going to get better if you don’t go where regular playing time for you would be a challenge?

Barca’s system requires that you have good ball control, be used to playing at a high rate of speed, and be good in transition, etc.

Clint can do all that. He can be dominant and deadly in the air. He is not a system guy like Pedro but based on what I saw last season,he would give them something useful, a wild card who can score. And he would be cheaper thatn a lot of the other striker type possibilities they might be looking at.

It is unlikely to happen but it is certainly intriguing and would be a good thing for both parties.